BBC BLOGS - Betsan's Blog

The whole picture

Betsan Powys | 16:48 UK time, Wednesday, 6 January 2010

There's one in her constituency and Cardiff North MP Julie Morgan isn't amused. That Tory poster proves, says the Labour MP who'd lose her job on less than a 2% swing to the Conservatives that "not only do the Tories budget figures not add up ... they don't even know what they have the power to spend money on".

poster3.JPG

Did Nick Bourne approve "these inaccuarate adverts" she asks "or did they just appear to mislead the Welsh public?" Guess what Mrs Morgan? In another part of Cardiff, it looks as though the wind and snow has down a dismantling job for you.

By the way what I didn't show you the other day was the billboard next door to Mr Cameron's. After a morning of making snowmen with my children, I now feel able to reveal the whole picture.

poster1.jpg

I know. I flinched when I saw it, wondered what you regular visitors and commentators on this blog might make of it, shuddered and ... cut it out.

Go on, like the weather, do your worst!

Comments

• 1. At 6:09pm on 06 Jan 2010, dennisjunior1 wrote:

Betsan--Thanks for involving us the loyal audience of your blog the whole picture....

The picture about the women and its comments were in horrible taste.....

--Dennis Junior

• 2. At 6:16pm on 06 Jan 2010, West-Wales wrote:

Now Now Betsan - Please point out that the adjoining poster has nothing to do with the Tories.

Its The Outdoor Advertising Association who has now ordered the withdrawal of controversial billboard ad which read "Career women make bad mothers" following an outcry from working mothers.

The ads, which were part of an OAA campaign designed to promote the effectiveness of billboard advertising, started appearing on the side of buses and on an estimated 11,000 billboard sites this week and were due to run for two weeks in total.

However the OAA today ordered them to be immediately replaced with alternative slogans. These will be "Educashun Isn't Working" and "1966. It Won't Happen This Year", a reference to England's chances in this summer's World Cup.

As far as the Tory poster is concerned' surely this is a bit of psychological warfare - show public that there is a better way.

After all if the One Wales Government propoganda machine can distort and misrepresent the facts, why is it a big deal

But - perhaps the Tories simply plan to ring fence and fix the Health Budget for Wales, take away the Assemblies ability to divert it for other purposes.

• 3. At 7:50pm on 06 Jan 2010, dontblameme wrote:

Pehaps they might do that to Education funds as well to give back the diverted £500 per pupil that has been diverted elswhere.
    80 to 85% of school budgets are in teacher salaries and on costs and the Teachers Pay and Conditions are not a devolved responsibility to the Assembly.
    Makes it easy to see how Education is not a priority for the assembly.

• 4. At 8:08pm on 06 Jan 2010, aneurin_glyndwr wrote:

What a daft ad by the tories. The truth is margin in the opinion polls are closing, people trust Brown and Darlin more and more. And the One Wales government of Labour and Plaid is getting better and better. I think Labour will win the next election

• 5. At 8:08pm on 06 Jan 2010, geoff drake wrote:

Considering the way that the Welsh health service has failed to perform compared to England since the Assembly took charge perhaps the implication of

• 6. At 8:23pm on 06 Jan 2010, Neocromwellian wrote:

Cardiff North MP Julie Morgan isn't amused.

Neither am I!

As a Labour voter I am absolutely outraged.

Because the Labour Party took away many of OUR powers to make quango's and public spending bodies accountable to nobody so you can say, "not us guv"!

The Labour Party has lost its way and the plot, it takes the Tories under David Cameron to do away with the serfdom you have introduced.

I think what Geoff Hoon and Patricia Hewitt have done is a disaster for the party, but I support them in doing it. Frankly you deserve all you get.

Perhaps we can have MP's and AM's who will in future represent the little people known as your constituents whose vote you now need to keep your job. But then one good turn deserves another.

• 7. At 10:16pm on 06 Jan 2010, spinspamspun7 wrote:

Betsan,
    #2
    I am sorry to say you might be seeing "the thing" instead
    of the poster.It's cold outside but I'm baltic !!!

Today,the oily Hoon wanted a regime change!!!
    The former Defence Secretary,2003,a co-contributor to the
    Dodgy Dossier,said weasel words in Hansard. google "Defence Secretary 2003" 20 March 2003,@12.32pm.

Let him deceive Chilcot ??? Like Bliar ???

• 8. At 02:56am on 07 Jan 2010, ScotInNotts wrote:

#5 geoff drake

"Westminster restoring a UK NATIONAL HEALTH Service could be seen as a ray of hope"

I'm sure the Scots might have something to say on that.....

• 9. At 04:59am on 07 Jan 2010, Drachenfire wrote:

Sheriff Dollard: I know what you want. Do you know what you career girls want?
    Miss Vida Boheme (uncomfortably): Careers?
    Sheriff Dollard (suggestive): Same things every girl wants.
    -To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar (1995)

Seeing the whole picture, it’s easy to see how the one poster on the viewers left would and could be associated with Cameron's poster on the viewer's right. Whatever Cameron's misstatement regarding health spending in Wales, that image of a youthful Cameron next to the poster charging Career women make bad mother's looks like a throwback to some kind of 1960's picture perfect nuclear families.

• 10. At 09:29am on 07 Jan 2010, John Henry wrote:

1960's family life was good drachenfire, I remember it well, everyone had jobs ...

• 11. At 09:58am on 07 Jan 2010, alfsplace1986 wrote:

Stonemason

By everyone do you take that as men and women inclusively or just men.

May I refer you to a new programe starting on BBC2, Monday 11th January called 'The British Family'.

It is about blowing a hole in the myth of the 1950s and 60s being a golden age for family life. Also when divorce statistics went through the roof.

Some of us see the past through rose tinted glasses and only see what was on the surface of family life.

• 12. At 10:21am on 07 Jan 2010, John Henry wrote:

No special optical effects, just good memories.

• 13. At 10:41am on 07 Jan 2010, sid_ts63 wrote:

#5 Geoff drake- there is no chance of a UK National health service ever returning. don't know much about the health service in Wales but the difference between the health service in Scotland and England is night and day. 1 is sticking to the NHS ideals and the other is riding coach & horses right thru them . what do the people of Wales want from the NHS ? do they want a health service that only those and such as those can afford, or do they want a health service free at the point of delivery?

Sid

• 14. At 10:46am on 07 Jan 2010, alfsplace1986 wrote:

Stonemason

Mine were the same but it doesn't seem to have been like that for everyone. You did seem to generalise in your comment

everyone had jobs ...

I ask again Is that men and women inclusively or just men.

Though my good memories do remind me that not everyone was in employment there were a great deal of industrial illnesses as well.

My wages as a mere lad in the 60s were a stagering £3 a week rising very quietly to £14 (highest rate) at the begining of the 70s in the Forestry Commission, there were men with families earning less than that. Then I left and went into industry to work, that did improve my income. Though I might add not contentment in my work.

• 15. At 12:23pm on 07 Jan 2010, John Henry wrote:

alf ...

My youth and early employment was around Bridgend in South Wales, because of established Industry many women worked, my mother did, it was fairly prosperous. As an apprentice my wages were similar to yours, I can remember having an extra 3 shillings for the bus and my employer paid for all college fees/books/etc, wages were a little higher than your £14 as an adult.

Industrial illness has been with mankind since early times, they come and go as we identify problems and humanise the workplace, probably this issue will be with us into the future, though we might identify problems sooner.

I am sorry that you have not found some pleasure in your work, with a few brief miserable periods and not many days of unemployment I have enjoyed work throughout my life, is it to do with location and mobility I wonder.

• 16. At 12:52pm on 07 Jan 2010, alfsplace1986 wrote:

Stonemason
    Location and environment. With a family it was for the money, because of that I was trapped.

From working outside going inside and not being a very harmonious place. To be in a factory with men and women working together it could be a malicious place to be.
    Not that I am placing myself as being superior to them because it can make you become like them and it was not very pleasant.

• 17. At 1:49pm on 07 Jan 2010, Lyn David Thomas wrote:

We all have this idea that the past was a better place it wasn't. A good 10% of the population left education illiterate and innumerate - they managed to get jobs, often for short periods of time, because positions like floor sweepers and casual labourers existed. Many women went on to become housewives and never took employment, discrimination on the grounds of race, gender and sexuality was fully legal and millions suffered as a result. The nuclear family is a myth, you had a generation where the father was missing due to the war or functionally missing only seeing the children for 10 - 25 minutes a day. I was born in 1960, my mother went back to work straight away, for my first few years my grandmother looked after me, a good Welsh institution - the extended family.

Now as far as posters go, I imagine all the UK parties will make similar gaffs - chunks of policy are decided in Cardiff, Edinburgh and Belfast and not London. Its clear that that hasn't sunk through to some yet. Now as we don't have a fully federalised system its inevitable that you will get what is effectively an English campaign spilling over into Wales and Scotland. That is unfortunate and will only harm the parties that promote it.

• 18. At 2:03pm on 07 Jan 2010, John Henry wrote:

A good 10% left education illiterate and innumerate, according to LDT, politics at the Bay hasn't altered the important things in life then, how many leave school today ill-equipped for life.

You must have had a very unpleasant development if you are only able to see the negatives LDT, how do people cope with you. Epicurus would recommend a dose of "enjoying life", much preferred ....

• 19. At 4:26pm on 07 Jan 2010, Lyn David Thomas wrote:

When id I only see the negatives, just pointing out that the 1960s were not that wonderful and for many it was a time of considerable pain. Fortunately to the end of the decade many of the social advances that we now take forgathered happened - thanks to a truly liberal home secretary and a progressive government.

• 20. At 7:19pm on 07 Jan 2010, alhjones wrote:

Dave is not the only one to make comments on a UK basis but actually can only influence England, Gordon saying today he is going to sort out grit for UK roads when they are devolved responsibility in the non English shires, mind you if Gordon is going to sort out the roads, then when he comes past my house driving a gritter (because we all know he saves everything personally) I might get a chance to ask him about the debt he is accumulating on my behalf.

• 21. At 8:37pm on 07 Jan 2010, alhjones wrote:

There is a serious issue that arises from this though, we know in Wales that Dave et al cannot tinker too much with NHS, the same cannot be said of Mrs. Morgan and her fellow Welsh MP's who influence decisions on the English NHS with no worries about redress from that electorate.

• 22. At 9:19pm on 07 Jan 2010, nomorepowers wrote:

Are you suggesting that we should have let the banks go to the wall or disappear up Cameron's ever increasing black hole.

• 23. At 9:27pm on 07 Jan 2010, Jack_Wilkinson wrote:

RE Lyn M17, you wrote-

Lyn, if only 10% left education illiterate in the sixties, they really were the good old days, sadly.

• 24. At 11:38pm on 07 Jan 2010, Dewi_H wrote:

worth a read

• 25. At 11:47am on 08 Jan 2010, Crossroads wrote:

19. At 4:26pm on 07 Jan 2010, Lyn David Thomas wrote:
    "When id I only see the negatives, just pointing out that the 1960s were not that wonderful"

You speak for yourself Lyn my lad !

The mid and late sixties were a wonderful time for a Cardiff lad born in 1949. With the possible exception of having to take my 'O' and 'A' levels, it was non-stop booze, birds, and the occasional illegal substances.The Beatles, Stones, and (best of the lot) Cream to entertain us, beer at 8(old)pence a pint, negligible inflation, and your dad's Austin A40 Somerset to drive around in (column change, no synchromesh on 1st)..petrol at 5 bob (25pence) a GALLON......As Mr. Jagger asked..What more could a young boy want?

Apologies for the shallow nature of this post, but what the hell d'you expect from this poster!

Hedonism ruled O.K. !!!!!

• 26. At 1:03pm on 08 Jan 2010, alhjones wrote:

21 The Governments own figures put the support to banks at less than 10% of the accumulated deficit, so I would suggest you started looking in Labours black hole first, as they are the ones in Government and actually spending the money at an alarming rate, not anyone else.

• 27. At 12:45pm on 09 Jan 2010, nomorepowers wrote:

The time to reduce spending is not during a recession - A socialist stance that I am proud of.

• 28. At 4:09pm on 09 Jan 2010, Lyn David Thomas wrote:

I agree with you Nomorepowers, we should be spending on projects that will help us in the future, like electrification of the main rail lines in Wales, reopening rail links throughout the valleys and rebuilding the Carmarthen to Aberystwyth line, looking to eco investment in Combined Heat and Power plants, a crash program of insulation for all properties and offices, investing in higher and further education so that people have the skills we need. Building a high speed fiber optic network and ensuring that everyone has access to 50MB broadband within 4 years. Give the National Assembly and the Welsh government borrowing powers to pay for some of this and we might have a chance of coming out of the recession better off and better prepared, otherwise we remain the poorest Nation in the UK.

Allowing the banks to go to the wall with the loss of savings and the consequent damage to industry is unthinkable.

• 29. At 10:14am on 10 Jan 2010, alhjones wrote:

A lot of that debt was run up during the period prior to the recession on wasteful initiatives that have since been dropped or reversed. Some on some policies I agree with which have improved social issues, but the majority wasted, this is common across all levels of Labour Government, spend now someone else will pay later.

• 30. At 10:24am on 10 Jan 2010, alhjones wrote:

28,
    The banks did not go to the wall and if proper regulation had taken place to ensure savers money was not gambled with, savers would not have lost money, the projects you talk of have not happened, what sources of fuel do you invisage for the CHP plants, what investment has gone into the energy supply network to allow the CHP to distribute its heat and electricity?, where does the investment come from? I think from Alistair Darlings, Times interview yesterday an indication of the real state of the finances was glimpsed. What ramifications for the people of Wales will come from it only time will tell.

• 31. At 6:13pm on 10 Jan 2010, Lyn David Thomas wrote:

The banks did not go to the wall because they were bailed out. If they hadn't investors' money would have been lost, and yes I agree we need proper regulation of them, casino capitalism as advanced by both Thatcher and New Labour is not a smart move. Well combined heat and power generally comes from combustion, ie of wood or gas or in some cases from waste that would otherwise go into landfill, the actual fuel burned would depend on the plant. The investment ultimately would come from either private organisations or from the state, in some cases CHP is something done by local governments, Sheffield famously had such a plant.

• 32. At 5:17pm on 11 Jan 2010, alhjones wrote:

31, thanks for that I am a Low Carbon Consultant and averse with CHP being ivolved in them from my early carear in the military in the 70's and onwards, one of the major stumbling blocks is the electricity distribution network and connection to it, it will be the same for major offshore wind projects, as for fuel, wood is not as readily abundant as most think, hence the importation of wood from the Baltic states for the plants in NPT,where the heat is being wasted, as well as sourced from Ireland and Scotland for a wood pellet contract for Local Authorities.

As for gas plants in recent years the shortening of the cost difference between gas and electricity had lead to some plants being switched off, this has reversed in the last 2 years, but too late for some plants that were left idle too long, Local treatment of waste in CHP plants is a ideal opportunity, for energy provision and waste treatment, but too many NIMBY'S against it. A really good example is Southhampton City and what can be done with vision and will by the LA and Private sector for a district heating network and CHP.

• 33. At 7:15pm on 11 Jan 2010, alhjones wrote: