BBC BLOGS - Betsan's Blog

On your marks

Betsan Powys | 10:02 UK time, Wednesday, 30 September 2009

_38117804_sprint_start.gifThere's a "very important meeting" happening at lunchtime tomorrow in Transport House.

I think I can already hear the sound of a starting pistol firing.

All Welsh Labour AMs - or comrades in this instance - have been invited along to the first half of a special meeting of the Welsh Executive Committee. Once the WEC formally accepts Mr Morgan's intention to stand down, the race will officially be on. An announcement made within 48 hours of his birthday counts as "on or around" I think.

It just can't be helped, I suppose Labour would argue, that the announcement is being made just in time for the candidates to come out and launch their campaigns ... just as the Conservatives want to make a splash at their conference in Manchester.

All of those non-Labour sources who've said the plan is to look on at the battle over the next eight weeks and "rise above it" had better start practising.

UPDATE

By the way an Email arrived yesterday to remind us all that The All Wales Convention will be ready to report in November - in fact, "before the end of November. Sir Emyr Jones Parry says "Analysing all the evidence we've collected from organisations and members of the public is both fascinating and challenging. We are on schedule and I remain confident that we will have the report completed and published before the end of November".

Given Rhodri Morgan has made it clear he's not going anywhere until the budget has been put to bed - in other words December 8th - in whose inbox will the Convention's report end up?

Comments

• 1. At 10:49am on 30 Sep 2009, John Henry wrote:

This is a scene from Macbeth.

Could it be Macbeth and Banquo meeting the witches

• 2. At 10:59am on 30 Sep 2009, penddu wrote:

Alas poor Rhodri, I knew him well....

• 3. At 11:26am on 30 Sep 2009, bobrowe123 wrote:

• 4. At 11:33am on 30 Sep 2009, verymuchso wrote:

Apologies for the correction, but the Shakespeare quote is actually
    "Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio, a fellow of infinite
    jest, of most excellent fancy." I don't know where the misquote comes from, but it's certainly popular.

Whether 'infinite jest' or not, RM has a sense of humour (that old music hall joke is definitely not to be repeated here) - I hope his successor has also. I'm looking for relevant qualifications, and this could be high on the list. Hamlet's reference to Yorick's jest and fancy are to illustrate his humanity. Politics is a serious business, but that doesn't mean politicians have to be po-faced.

• 5. At 12:35pm on 30 Sep 2009, penddu wrote:

4 - I always preferred the Tommy Cooper "ineterpretation"...Ahh Ahha

• 6. At 12:36pm on 30 Sep 2009, thegnatswatter wrote:

4. Alas it is O so typical of Ye Penddu. Wrong agaaaaain.

• 7. At 12:50pm on 30 Sep 2009, whatdudetooksquacco wrote:

As long as Rhodri's successor has the vision, will, and ability to take us forward it doesn't matter who they are.
    The sooner we move away from the current farcial situation. Today again we read about proposals to restrict inappropriate use of sunbeds. Great. Unfortunately we also read that a request will be made to Westminster etc etc.
    WHY?! Being middle aged I don't have to ask my mother if I am allowed to decide what car I drive, what job I do, where I live etc. When are we the Welsh people going to be treated as the intelligent and able adults that we are and be able to make our own decisions in life and make them when we want not when we're told we are resonsible enough and have permission?
    Look at the smoking ban. We had to wait for Westminster. How many Welsh lives did that delay cause? How much unnneccessary financial burden did that delay place on our Health Service?

• 8. At 4:27pm on 30 Sep 2009, Returnee wrote:

Well said. I look forward to hearinmg what the presumed three have to say about proper devolution.

• 9. At 4:45pm on 30 Sep 2009, mapex55 wrote:

Message 7...

Would you really prefer to revert to Wales having the powers to alter things, such as closed pubs on Sunday?

When Wales ever becomes a separated nation, with a cast iron border, then, maybe, you will get your wish, however whilst there is an open and untrammeled border, what with every one owning their own personal transport, could you actually believe it possible for Wales to have 'full' control over matters, to the extent it would cause severe friction between the Welsh and the English.

Lets take booze for example, what do you think would occur should Wales raise the price of booze to a higher level than the English?

It is obvious is it not, so to overcome such a problem the demand would be for closed borders, with custom posts at every junction.

Do your really wish to have that sort of regime in place.

The simplistic take on the idea of Wales 'going it alone' is just that, bloody simplistic. and can never work, beyond a minor matter or two.

I suggest that there may be disparities from time to time, but nothing like what will happen, should we have to accept and tolerate a separation from our next door neighbour.

• 10. At 4:56pm on 30 Sep 2009, John Henry wrote:

" .... proper devolution .... "

There will not be proper devolution until the "English Question" is resolved, we have a Scottish Parliament with model number 1, models 2 and 3 are in the list for Wales and NI, an absence of an English Parliament, Westminster creates legislation perm any 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 from 4, a diabolical nightmare of governance. There are only two answers to the conundrum, the Scottish model for each region, 4 in total, with Westminster taking a federal constitutional position. The second answer is radical in that it would require the dissolution of the ties with Scotland by the UK, followed by a simple referendum in each of the other countries, Independence or Union during the 2011 elections, it is not possible to govern well when there is the constant distraction by the Nationalist parties who bring nothing, absolutely nothing to the cause of better governance.

There is a case for put up or shut up.

• 11. At 5:57pm on 30 Sep 2009, FiDafydd wrote:

Re 10

"it is not possible to govern well when there is the constant distraction by the Nationalist parties who bring nothing, absolutely nothing to the cause of better governance."

Quite right Stonemason, that's why I could never vote Tory or Labour.

• 12. At 7:06pm on 30 Sep 2009, John Henry wrote:

#11

Does that make you Liberal Democrat ?

• 13. At 9:57pm on 30 Sep 2009, FiDafydd wrote:

Re 12

Oh, I'd forgotten about them!

• 14. At 10:27pm on 30 Sep 2009, Ian wrote:

Stonemason,
    Personally, I would like to see a federal England and strong and mutually respectful ties between the nations of England, Scotland and Wales. However, I am realistic enough to recognise that Scotland are in a very different position to us.
    If it were not for Plaid there would have been no devolution in Wales, which I'm sure would have made you a very happy man. I'm sorry that our efforts make you unhappy. It's nothing personal.

• 15. At 10:40pm on 30 Sep 2009, Notonationalism wrote:

Re. 1,2,4,5 and 6

Let's hope it's not 'King Lear'. Rhodri naked on the heath would not be a pretty site.... But then again, he's been in the altogether for quite some time.

• 16. At 11:12pm on 30 Sep 2009, Notonationalism wrote:

Oops, sorry- I meant 'sight', but I suppose it works (almost) both ways!

• 17. At 08:39am on 01 Oct 2009, John Henry wrote:

#14

Plaid wish to destroy the United Kingdom, it is written plain to see in their constitution, its supporters have the same wishes, read them here, its supporters would impose their simplistic socialist wishes on me, read Adam Price, I'm not unhappy with anything other than the possibility that Plaid gains its wishes, there would not be a pluralist society West of Offa's Dyke, it would be Plaid's "decentralised socialism".

• 18. At 09:32am on 01 Oct 2009, Returnee wrote:

Why not?

• 19. At 09:49am on 01 Oct 2009, mapex55 wrote:

message 18....

The answer is in message 9.

Read and understand.