It's Spider Week! Play our quiz!

The One Show Team | 16:08 UK time, Monday, 14 September 2009

This week is Spider Week on The One Show.

We're celebrating our fascinating eight legged friends. Mike Dilger and Miranda Krestovnikoff will be introducing us to the black widow, the false black widow, the ladybird spider, the camel spider and the tarantula.

George McGavin quiz graphicWeb quiz! Be dazzled by George's spider facts!

Spider expert George McGavin has put together a fun spider quiz.

You may also like: George's Bug Quiz.

Comments

• 1. At 7:37pm on 14 Sep 2009, geminidefish wrote:

I understand that spiders have a part to play in our ecology, but being born and raised in Aus, I have a healthy fear of all things that slithers, has eight legs or crawls as they are ten times bigger in Aus then anywhere else in the world as my husband has found out by my shreiks of fear as I spotted a spider crossing the carpet in our lounge and jumped on the sofa ready climb the walls out of fear of these spiders, therefore i will admire them from afar and not in my house

• 2. At 7:37pm on 14 Sep 2009, granitescottydog wrote:

loved the quiz thought it would have been less predictable

• 3. At 7:46pm on 14 Sep 2009, happywebby wrote:

loved the quiz, did better than i thought i would. scored 8 outta 10

• 4. At 7:56pm on 14 Sep 2009, adrianchristine1 wrote:

I am not sure which spiders are said to bite but I was bitten by a small - think garden - spider. Very painful, abscess after a week, needing antibiotics etc.

• 5. At 8:24pm on 14 Sep 2009, kazflo wrote:

Next question, how many species of spiders can bite in the UK?

• 6. At 8:26pm on 14 Sep 2009, deespider wrote:

i have just started taking pitures of spider moths and butterflies from my garden. iv tried many of times to upload my picyures to your photo gallery but without any success as i think my pictures are a little to big (not by much) or the right size would love the show and viewers to see them, but i would like people to have a look as i get very good comments about them, im not a professional at taking pictures but they have come out very well, i keep telling the mums at the school to have a look in there (boring gardens) as they say and take pictures of any creepy crawly and you will be very surprise on what you will find.....please visit my facebook group...spiders moths and butterflies in the garden .......if you do visit please add a comment on my pictures....many thanks denise bancroft

• 7. At 8:40pm on 14 Sep 2009, deespider wrote:

TO Mr George McGavin Spider expert, i have many spiders in my garden, the common garden spider male and female, i have taken pitures of them mating and then the sacrifice of the male spider to the female. iv got pitures of lots of creepy crawlys etc.. wasp spider, humming bird hawk moth, common garden spider, butterflies, moths, some birds all in my garden but the spiders iv got i would like to know the names of them , if you get a chance please visit (spiders moths and butterflies in the garden) on facebook as i cant seem to upload them to you at the one show, or do you have a web site or email i could send them to you , many thanks denise bancroft

• 8. At 10:40am on 15 Sep 2009, mcfreaki wrote:

8 legs, 8 questions correct.
    quite fitting, really.

• 9. At 12:34pm on 15 Sep 2009, chrismann1981 wrote:

False widows look convincing enough for me to hapily leave them alone!

I have noticed a lot more spiders around this year than last. A happy benefit to those of us that grow fruit/veg as most grubs/bugs/mites provide a tasty snack for the spider population. C

Check out this one found lurcking on the balcony: www.elevatedagriculture.co.uk

• 10. At 6:34pm on 15 Sep 2009, deespider wrote:

im still trying 2 upload my photos, the word (UPLOAD)in the box is NOT high lighted but submit is what is wrong ???????? PLEASE I NEED HELP !!!!!!!!!!!

• 11. At 7:56pm on 15 Sep 2009, Paako8 wrote:

TO Mr George McGavin Spider expert,

When on holiday in Borneo and visiting in Mulu National Park near the Clearwater caves I had a large spdier crawl over my bare foot.

We were at the eating platform just by the river so not in the cave.

It was dark brown about 15cm across but with thinner legs than a taratula. It had whiter colour at the joints of its legs. Have tried to identify over the web but with no luck, any ideas?

I don't think it was a huntsman spider.

Cheers

• 12. At 8:10pm on 15 Sep 2009, stampgrabber wrote:

To Geoge McGavin, spider expert,
    You referred tonight as spiders' homes as "cobwebs". As an expert could you please tell me the difference between cobwebs and spiders' webs?

• 13. At 5:20pm on 16 Sep 2009, Robktm wrote:

George mentioned there where X spiders in the UK with jaws large enough to bite/break the skin. GREAT ! I have spent years explaining to the kids, that UK spiders are harmless. OH well, but which spiders are the ones with BIG TEETH? At least then we know which ones to handle extra carefully!

• 14. At 5:41pm on 16 Sep 2009, Purplepoppy8 wrote:

I absolutely love The One Shows SPIDER WEEK! All too often Spiders get a bad press so it is great to see some proper, interesting spider coverage on TV. I have liked spiders all my life and have been keeping tarantulas as pets for over 10 years now. They are beautiful, velvety and interesting creatures and virtually harmless unless you annoy them. I have never been injured or harmed by any of my tarantulas but my pet cat on the other hand has given me a nasty scratch or two over the years. I wish people knew more about spiders and therefore had fewer daft prejudices about them - thank you One Show for helping to redress the balance and bring the joy of spiders to the small screen :)

• 15. At 10:18pm on 16 Sep 2009, scorpiofairyhouse wrote:

My friend was complaining about the spider in her wing mirror that she couldn't wash away, each time she cleaned her car - paying special attention to her wing mirrors, the next day there he was again, so I wrote a little poem in my break called 'Spidy Hi'.

I live behind a wing mirror
    It's nice and warm and dry
    Sometimes I get a little nervous
    Cos' she tries to catch my eye
    Each time I peep to see if she's there
    She's ready to flush me out
    I swear, one day, the time will come
    When I'll have to live in a spout
    I make my webb all nice and tight
    to catch tomorrows lunch
    And out she comes to break it up....
    Instead I only get brunch.

• 16. At 02:22am on 18 Sep 2009, PoetsPayday wrote:

I dislike spiders mainly because of the webb factor - how many times i have walked into a sticky net - and the disgusting feeling of fine strands over my face is truly horrible when unexpected! If Spidies were unable to spin then I think we would all be a bit more tolerant and less discriminitive!

Merry Christmas Mr Spider!
    I feel a compassionate respite, under the view of good light...
    Repulse and fear no longer appear as superstition dictates obligation!
    Merry Christmas Mr Spider
    You clamber for mercy in porcelain, panic stricken at the straits you are found in!
    I understand your concern but you may like to learn that tempted I am to consider!
    Merry Christmas Mr Spider!
    If luck were a lady then that lady would spin to reel in her fruit and stick in the pin.
    I suppose that beauty is in the demeanour for if you were larger I would surely be meaner!
    Merry Christmas Mr Spider!

• 17. At 4:17pm on 18 Sep 2009, deespider wrote:

Dear George ...can any1 tell me whats the most spots been found on a ladybird in the uk,as iv just been taking photos of 1 in my garden and it has 19/20 spots

• 18. At 4:45pm on 18 Sep 2009, grandadfroggy wrote:

I have been trying to email a photograph of a lovely "Wasp Spider" that has spent the summer in our lavender bush.

Can you please explain to the computer stupid how I can do it?

Robert Hird
    France.

• 19. At 5:40pm on 18 Sep 2009, embrun wrote:

Hi Ladybird spiders may be rare in the UK but here in the Alps, including my pool, they are everywhere. How do I send photographs?

• 20. At 10:21am on 19 Sep 2009, billgrange wrote:

I consider the radial webs made by the garden spider and its relatives (Araneus) among the most amazing of animal constructions. Apart from the intricacies of the web itself, I'm often lost in wonder at the incredible lengths of the supporting strands.The web I saw this morning, still under construction, outside my front door was the most extreme I have seen in this respect, the vertical supporting strand descending some twenty feet from a telephone cable to a fuchsia bush.

It's a pity that Spider Week, concentrated on the dangerous and 'scary', rather than on aspects such as the web-building achievements of spiders, especially those we can see in our own gardens.

Bill

• 21. At 7:15pm on 21 Sep 2009, deespider wrote:

i totally agree with what u say,(20.billgrange.........It's a pity that Spider Week, concentrated on the dangerous and 'scary', rather than on aspects such as the web-building achievements of spiders, especially those we can see in our own gardens).......i dont like spiders but i take pictures of them, how they do there webs and when they catch there pray is so fascinating ...........if any1 wants to see my pictures go here ...http://www.flickr.com/photos/42645681@N03/3930666937/

• 22. At 7:17pm on 21 Sep 2009, deespider wrote:

copy and paste in your address bar at the top

• 23. At 8:16pm on 21 Sep 2009, wildspiderwoman wrote:

ime a bit of a spider nut .....collected spiders when i was about 10yrs old (from house and garden) and havent stopped..i lovem..moved on to bigger better one from different countries...hoping to see loads more ....such a fascination.....i dont know what it is about them just like having an cat,dog or fish ....people think ime strange

• 24. At 12:35pm on 01 Oct 2009, homesicklondoner wrote:

I live in Llandudno in North Wales and I have not seen a wasp this year. I have asked friends in london and manchester and they have not seen any either. can anyone tell me what is happening to them?