What advice would you give to the younger you?

Host_Ryan - One Show team | 16:35 UK time, Friday, 28 November 2008

Click here to add your comment.

In the first of our occasional series about life's lessons, the novelist Fay Weldon looked back over her eventful life. Fay revealed what she would say to her 21-year-old self.

What advice would you give to the 21 year-old you? What lessons has life taught you?

Adrian and Christine like to read out comments that feature your first name and location - so please add this info to your comments. Thank you.

Comments

• 1. At 7:22pm on 28 Nov 2008, ladyhappymaggie wrote:

make sure my baby came on time and not 2 weeks late as she was as I ended up going into hospital to have her on my 21st birthday she was born 4 days later 44yrs ago

• 2. At 7:23pm on 28 Nov 2008, littleAnnieMc wrote:

I would convince the 21 year old me to go ahead and become a teacher. I am currently doing my PGCE, but am 28 now and really wish I'd done it before I bought my flat and had a mortgage!

I would also tell the 21 year old me to go travelling and see a bit of the world before I got married.

• 3. At 8:30pm on 28 Nov 2008, KentCarole wrote:

The advice that I would have given a 21 year old me is: -
    However difficult, find the time to keep a diary or journal. If I had written down everything that has happened in my life during the past 36 years, the good and the funny as well as the sad and the traumatic, I would most certainly have a best seller by now and be looking forward to a luxury retirement!

• 4. At 8:36pm on 28 Nov 2008, StevieF1957 wrote:

At 21, three weeks after my first gay experience and still totally confused to the point of a breakdown I'd tell myself that it's OK to be gay, and not to worry about what others might think.
    Steve in Exeter.

• 5. At 8:45pm on 29 Nov 2008, godfreysv wrote:

some good tips on Brad Paisleys "Letter to me" ... worth a listen/watch at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Brad-Paisley/6791933097?ref=s

• 6. At 11:13pm on 29 Nov 2008, dolallymoo wrote:

hi !!
    I wonder if any one can help ?

On tue 25 th nov , the one show featured a classical piece of music during one of its features. My partner has been searching for a name for this music for years and every time he hears it, he attempts to find out what it is called to no avail.!!!!
    Is there any one out there who can put his mind at rest once and for all and tell us what it is called ?
    We would be very grateful to anyone who can finally help us to track this down .

Thankyou
    sam chignell

• 7. At 4:16pm on 30 Nov 2008, lordtup wrote:

The overriding advice i should have impaired on my junior self would be to be contrite in my ignorance until such time I was mature enough to express my limited intellect wisely
    William of Newbury

• 8. At 9:52pm on 30 Nov 2008, poppystrictlyfan wrote:

Christine just to say you were and are an inspiration and Strictly will not be the same without you. Good luck in all you do for the future.

Best Wishes

Yvonne

• 9. At 3:10pm on 01 Dec 2008, cornishtess wrote:

A very wise friend once told me "Never depend on somebody else to make you happy. Find your own happiness, and if you find someone else with whom to share that happiness, it is a bonus". I wish I'd thought of that when I was 21.

• 10. At 10:19pm on 01 Dec 2008, strictlystarbabe1 wrote:

The advice I would give is "feel the fear and do it anyway"
    If I could go back and taken this advice my life would have been very different.

Also to Steve in Exeter
    Be yourself you will gain confidence and be comfotrable with your sexuality. It will take time.
    Remember This is the first day of the rest of your life.

• 11. At 02:25am on 02 Dec 2008, kflockhart wrote:

I would have told myself to listen to my father and do the sport HR suggested. If I had done this I wouldn't have broken my back!

• 12. At 11:08am on 02 Dec 2008, CairnTerrier wrote:

DUCK!!!!

• 13. At 6:27pm on 02 Dec 2008, SwanageSunrise wrote:

I would tell my 21 year old self, to stop believing that everyone knows better than me e.g..to at times trust my own instincts and to bin my so-called friends who only contact me when it suits them or if they have problems. Trouble is i'm now 46 and although I've improved I still haven't learnt:-/

• 14. At 00:08am on 05 Dec 2008, 3lanes wrote:

I would tell my 21 year old self to continue with my singing career and not be a teacher! I would tell myself that I didn't need a mortgage or a husband nor, dare I say , children!!! I would tell myself not to relocate back home after my father died and abandon a great potential life where I was! In other words I would tell myself that it was O K to be selfish!!!!!!!

• 15. At 5:53pm on 10 Dec 2008, janlol wrote:

I would tell my self learn from your mistakes, and go out there and live life to the full, and look out for the sly ones who take advantage,love my self cos if you dont no one else will. also have no regrets they just drag you down.

• 16. At 9:45pm on 15 Dec 2008, MichaelSB wrote:

To keep faith in the commercial and artistic viability of comics and to stick with the arts and not sciences.

• 17. At 00:34am on 24 Dec 2008, ironearthmum wrote:

A difficult one this!
    I would tell my younger self to go on a self empowerment course, and to trust my instincts more, instead of following what was expected of me in society.

Also not to rush into marriage because it seems to be the thing to do, even though I am a homely mummy type and have loved having children, I would have loved to have a career in science or medicine.

Jane - Lincolnshire

• 18. At 00:37am on 25 Dec 2008, ladymindtwister wrote:

I would tell 18yr old me, to start that nursing career, like I had intended, instead of getting side tracked, I eventually did it when I was 34yrs old, and I never looked back, but look at all the years I wasted.