What's your anthem?

Host_Ryan - One Show team | 12:43 UK time, Friday, 17 October 2008

Can't see the film? Click here to watch and find out more about Jerusalem.

For The One Show, Angellica Bell looked at the meaning, and history of, William Blake's Jerusalem.

'And did those feet in ancient time' is a short poem by Blake from the preface to his epic Milton: a Poem (1804).

Blake was inspired by the legend that a young Jesus, accompanied by Joseph of Arimathea, visited England - making it heaven on earth. It was this poem that was put to music written by C. Hubert H. Parry in 1916 that is best known as the hymn 'Jerusalem'.

Does Britain need a new anthem? Should England have its own anthem? Have your say below.

Please leave your first name and location on your blog comment, if you'd like it to be mentioned on The One Show programme.

In order to see this content you need to have both Javascript enabled and Flash installed. Visit BBC Webwisefor full instructions

Comments

• 1. At 7:05pm on 17 Oct 2008, butternut_squash wrote:

YES we need an English anthem its wrong that we do not have one already. I would choose either Jersusalem or I vow to thee my country.

God Save the Queen should be the anthem for the "United" Kingdom".

• 2. At 7:26pm on 17 Oct 2008, robganly wrote:

God Save The Queen, but the sex pistols version... Johnny Lydon rocks!

• 3. At 7:26pm on 17 Oct 2008, sulpicia wrote:

'Amazing grace' is the one for me, all sorts of reasons. But it's the most rousing tune I know.

• 4. At 7:26pm on 17 Oct 2008, sportychewie wrote:

England definitely needs it's own official national anthem and one that is not run by political correctness. "Pomp and Circumstance" by Edward Elgar is a good one played at the Last Night of the Proms.

• 5. At 7:27pm on 17 Oct 2008, lionrampant31 wrote:

A different British national anthem?

Rule Britannia. That'll do nicely thank you.

• 6. At 7:27pm on 17 Oct 2008, acumennous wrote:

We do need an English anthem, and it should be the theme tune to Thunderbirds!

Imagine our national sporting teams (football, rugby) standing to attention as the Thunderbirs theme plays out! Fantastic!

• 7. At 7:27pm on 17 Oct 2008, kp9999 wrote:

You've already got Land of Hope and Glory.

Typical English - want 2!!

• 8. At 7:28pm on 17 Oct 2008, Marje123 wrote:

"Land of Hope & Glory" should be our National Anthem, it is more rousing than "God Save The Queen"!

• 9. At 7:28pm on 17 Oct 2008, mcdigpc2 wrote:

The Archers theme tune (Barwick Green)!!! It feels British (rather than English or Scottish) has no lyrics (that I'm aware of) so can't offend or be too religious/not religious enough or be too jingoistic. Also can't be sung badly!

• 10. At 7:28pm on 17 Oct 2008, derekcollins wrote:

I think the National Anthem should be Land of Hope and Glory.

• 11. At 7:29pm on 17 Oct 2008, Sillylally wrote:

"I vow to thee my Country", "Jerusalem" OR my favourite for an anthem for Great Britain would have to be "Rule Britannia" !!!

We need a good uplifting, positive song.

• 12. At 7:29pm on 17 Oct 2008, pmilne1 wrote:

I dont see anything wrong wit the one we have got atm. It has been roud for a long time and many people around the world look at the queen with respect and hounour for all that she has done for us..

If it was to change I like Rule Britannia as shows being proud for our country of what is right and justice. In addition it shows we are proud of our past, armed forces and the future.

• 13. At 7:29pm on 17 Oct 2008, cliveiw wrote:

What complete and utter, ill researched garbage !
    The dark satanic mills of Blakes poem referred to Wesleyan Chapels !!!

• 14. At 7:29pm on 17 Oct 2008, DSBillyG wrote:

I agree that 'Land of Hope and Glory' is a better choice than 'Jerusalem'

• 15. At 7:29pm on 17 Oct 2008, bikerric wrote:

Like other comments, I think we should have Jerusalem as an anthem. Our current one is still an insult to many Scottish people. By changing it to this it will stop them moaning about God Save The Queen
    :-)

• 16. At 7:30pm on 17 Oct 2008, drakesdrummer wrote:

Land of Hope and Glory has ALWAYS been England's national anthem: it is aspirational, muti-cultural and multi-faith. Why change it?>

• 17. At 7:30pm on 17 Oct 2008, bleakleylegend wrote:

definatley has to be a combined remix of the one show, strictly come dancing and teletubies theme tune. would be legend :)
    GO CHRISTINE!!x

• 18. At 7:30pm on 17 Oct 2008, invisiblecsdxl wrote:

I always thought that the theme tune to 'The Archers' would be a fantastic anthem...certainly a bit more energetic than the current one. Just imagine that being sung before an international sports match!

• 19. At 7:30pm on 17 Oct 2008, Sillylally wrote:

Land of Hope & Glory would be fantastic too.

• 20. At 7:30pm on 17 Oct 2008, Total_T wrote:

England is the only nation in the UK without its own anthem.
    I think 'land of Hope & Glory' should be the English anthem

• 21. At 7:30pm on 17 Oct 2008, steragram wrote:

My choices are Land of Hope and Glory or Rule Brittania.

• 22. At 7:30pm on 17 Oct 2008, Emalyse R wrote:

'Always look on the bright side of life' (Monty Python via Eric Idle) would be a good alternative. Self deprecating , a good sing along (plus whistling) that suggests the classic British 'mustn't grumble' spirit.

• 23. At 7:31pm on 17 Oct 2008, swordcurtana wrote:

Maybe unoriginal....

Elgar's Land of Hope and Glory should be our anthem. It's a positive song in every aspect.
    Go on Adrian and Christine - sing it in harmony on Monday night...

• 24. At 7:31pm on 17 Oct 2008, teacherspain wrote:

very nationalistic and jingoistic report. If this anthem was to do with WW1 then thousand of welsh, irish and scottish soldiers also died.

How about Rule britannia. the second verse of God Save the Queen talks about massacring the scots. I also disagree with flower of Scotland as it is obviously anti english. Both these songs are backkward looking as is I suppose Rule Brittania. How about something brand new which relects the diversity of cultures and beliefs that is now Britain

• 25. At 7:31pm on 17 Oct 2008, adhocltd wrote:

How can there be any doubt.

The most quintessential tune for all of England must be:…

The theme from The Archers

John Baker
    Norfolk

• 26. At 7:31pm on 17 Oct 2008, digipussycat wrote:

In light of the current financial problems and all the miserable news, I think our national anthem should be "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!" We need something to cheer us up!

• 27. At 7:32pm on 17 Oct 2008, Pete Clifford wrote:

"I Vow to thee My Country" (possibly with updated words) to Holst's "Thaxted" theme from "Jupiter" (from "the Planets") would be an anthem to be proud of when played at the Olympics etc. I'm embarrassed every time I have to listen to the dirge that is "God Save The Queen". I'd like it to be the UK's anthem, but making it the English anthem would be a step in the right direction.

• 28. At 7:32pm on 17 Oct 2008, lionrampant31 wrote:

"By changing it to this it will stop them moaning about God Save The Queen "

Half of Scotland would. The other half will be up in arms. We're a fickle bunch really.

• 29. At 7:32pm on 17 Oct 2008, sealeon wrote:

gotta be England belongs to me by Cocksparrer

• 30. At 7:32pm on 17 Oct 2008, Dan_Williams001 wrote:

There's only one song out there for me,

The thunderbirds theme :)

Absolute Classic!

• 31. At 7:32pm on 17 Oct 2008, joclifford wrote:

Land of Hope and Glory.
    Pomp and Circumstance By Edward Elgar

Definately the English anthem! every other British country has thier own anthem... we should have one too...

• 32. At 7:32pm on 17 Oct 2008, trishals wrote:

We feel that Land of Hope and Glory should definitely be the National Anthem.
    trishals

• 33. At 7:32pm on 17 Oct 2008, JubliB wrote:

There's only one anthem for me - Land of Hope and Glory!

• 34. At 7:32pm on 17 Oct 2008, simonhope72 wrote:

highway to hell.....very appropriate in current climate!being performed by presenters in school attire?........adrian out of shot please!

• 35. At 7:32pm on 17 Oct 2008, leopaleface wrote:

It should remain as it is as we are still a great country despite Blair Brown and Mandy

• 36. At 7:32pm on 17 Oct 2008, lionrampant31 wrote:

"How about something brand new which relects the diversity of cultures and beliefs that is now Britain"

Oh come on...

• 37. At 7:32pm on 17 Oct 2008, mrgizzmo wrote:

My favourite anthem is a 1966 V12 Ferrari singing the Messiah

• 38. At 7:33pm on 17 Oct 2008, Mcflannagen wrote:

Land of Hope and Glory is Englands national anthem. I think its a scandal that we should sing the British anthem, God Save the Queen at international matches where England are represented, not Great Britain.
    It is an ongoing debate I have with my Welsh and Scottish rugby friends at matches!!!
    Is anyone else in the same boat?

• 39. At 7:33pm on 17 Oct 2008, steragram wrote:

I also love 'I Vow to Thee my Country' and 'Jerusalem'.

• 40. At 7:33pm on 17 Oct 2008, tigeldi wrote:

England Belongs To Me by Cock Sparrer
    A Fantastic Patiot Song
    Say No More

• 41. At 7:33pm on 17 Oct 2008, gazeleygate wrote:

My thoughts for the national anthem are 'land of hope and glory'. how we all wish this

• 42. At 7:34pm on 17 Oct 2008, amazingJackieann wrote:

I think we should have "I vow to thee my Country" as our National anthem

• 43. At 7:34pm on 17 Oct 2008, chris_j_b wrote:

It should be - Land of Hop and Glory - it worked fantastically well at the Commonwealth Games in Manchester.......

• 44. At 7:34pm on 17 Oct 2008, Giles wrote:

The Imperial March, from starwars seems the best tune to take us into the future.

• 45. At 7:34pm on 17 Oct 2008, StrangerThanFiction wrote:

We could always have a real alternative, to face up to the modern day. Aussie band The Saints have one which could do - 'Fall of an Empire'!!!!

• 46. At 7:34pm on 17 Oct 2008, richgarland wrote:

England definately needs an anthem of its own.
    When Rooney couldn't even be bothered to sing when he wears his white shirt...that tells a story.
    Scotland and N Ireland are also included in God save the Queen but that is not the anthem of Wales as QE2 does not rule over the principality... that begs the question... do we need a new anthem that covers England, Scotland, N Ireland ...and...Wales.

Let's have a National competition to pen some new lines rather than rely on some ancient relic... This is not the same country as it was when these songs were written

• 47. At 7:34pm on 17 Oct 2008, ladybblog wrote:

Hi can I as a Scotwoman but v def proudly British first and foremost get a word in here? I am v proud to stand at the internationals and sign God Save Our Queen - even thou it is for the English team - surely it is a great symbol of the United people of this great country? I find the use of the workd 'Our' really moving and would love the English to sign their own anthem.
    I think Jeursalem is a fab anthem as I too sang it as the school hymn in my very Scottish school in the 60's, 70's and 80's. We all need a good anthem. But keep God Save the Queen for us ALL.

• 48. At 7:34pm on 17 Oct 2008, Blackadder53 wrote:

Hi

I think any England team should sing 'land of hope and glory, the only England team too sing it is the English commonwealth team. why is this?
    God save the Queen is the NATIONAL anthem not the English anthem.

thanks

Alan from Bournemouth

• 49. At 7:34pm on 17 Oct 2008, Rholburn wrote:

No choice - It just has to be the most English (and British) song on the planet - Monty Pythons "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life".

All youngsters and new imgrants should have to stand up on to thier own cross and sing the whole song as proof that they are truely English - the ironyy, the tongue in cheek, the humor in the worst of adversity.

And on each of our gates of entry - ports, airports and rail terminals we should have a massed choir of audio animatronic figures mounted on their cross's wellcoming us home and bidding us farewell as we leave to " Always look on the bright side of Life"

"Lifes a load of S**t when you look at it .....Always look on the bright side of life"

Yours

Rory Holburn

• 50. At 7:34pm on 17 Oct 2008, starsmagoo3 wrote:

Land of Hopeand Glory is already accepted as our National Anthem. Once again the ignorant and trying to change to suit what they think the commonman wants. God save the Queen is fine for the UK. forget Jerusalem, it is not fitting for our nation.

• 51. At 7:34pm on 17 Oct 2008, steve2blue wrote:

We do need an English anthem, and it should be Me me by beaker from the muppetts, I also think Jerusalem would be great too!

Steve

Brighton

• 52. At 7:35pm on 17 Oct 2008, silverstoneGPmad wrote:

I have to agree with the great Billy Connelly on this on.....it has to be The Archers theme, most people know the tune and it bright and cheery.
    Thanks
    Liz

• 53. At 7:35pm on 17 Oct 2008, mariegriffiths wrote:

Land of Hope and Glory by Wolves supporting Edward Elgar.

• 54. At 7:35pm on 17 Oct 2008, wildmanofbis wrote:

we should adopt the theme tune to The Archers as our anthem. potential nationals could learn it on the plane on the way here: dum de dum de dum de dum, dum de dum de dum dum, dum de dum de dum de dum, diddly diddly dum.

• 55. At 7:36pm on 17 Oct 2008, geniusBwfcuk wrote:

Definately need a new anthem!!! What has took so long?! 'God save the queen' has to be the worst anthem in the world its terrible and meaningless!!! Land of Hope and glory

• 56. At 7:36pm on 17 Oct 2008, Rogerfoster wrote:

For Adrian,
    The Liqiudator.

by the Harry J All Stars.

Get Adrian to sing the words.....
    ....if he dares.

• 57. At 7:36pm on 17 Oct 2008, PeterSalmon wrote:

I don't think "Jerusalem" is an appropriate theme to have as our anthem considering the jewish connotations. I vow to thee my country is a far better piece of music and set of lyrics.

• 58. At 7:36pm on 17 Oct 2008, Dawn1e wrote:

I would like if you are happy clap and you know it your hands, if your happy and your know it clap your hands, if your happy and you know it and you really want to show it show, if your happy and you know it clap your hands.(clap clap)
    This country is so unhappy at the moment, it really needs cheering up !

• 59. At 7:36pm on 17 Oct 2008, KeithnPat wrote:

Alreet yer Lot listen in now...
    I propose:-
    Always look on the bright side of life
    The tune is catchy
    The verse is one all will remember nothing hard in this for us mere citizens of England.....

• 60. At 7:36pm on 17 Oct 2008, Coffeebell wrote:

Well, I was thinking of a more... Rock tune, such as MC Hammer - Can't touch this. Much Better!
    ...Just saying!

• 61. At 7:36pm on 17 Oct 2008, supatoots1 wrote:

Landof Hope and Glory for the National Anthem

• 62. At 7:36pm on 17 Oct 2008, Mcflannagen wrote:

Loving comment 26 though!!! i once sang this on the tube when it broke down!

• 63. At 7:37pm on 17 Oct 2008, dingo789 wrote:

There are a number of good anthems, but most rousing and potentially easy to learn and sing [important for some of the fans these days] 'Land of Hope and Glory'

• 64. At 7:37pm on 17 Oct 2008, Longjohn_007 wrote:

I'm a republican... I think that monarchy has had its day...

William Blake's Jerusalem is somehow fitting.

• 65. At 7:38pm on 17 Oct 2008, kt_v_s wrote:

I agree that there is no debate, it has to be the theme tune from "The Archers" for the English anthem.
    But despite common misconception here are the lyrics:

Dum de dum de dum de dum
    Dum de dum de dum dum
    Dum de dum de dum de dum
    Dum de diddle de dum

Tra la la la la la la
    Tra la la la laa la
    Tra la la la la la la
    Tra la la la la laa

• 66. At 7:38pm on 17 Oct 2008, mcvolks wrote:

even though i support gillingham fc it has to be the best football song ever, liverpool's

YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE

• 67. At 7:38pm on 17 Oct 2008, LizbethC wrote:

Land of Hope and Glory 4 Anthem. It always incites passion to anyone in earshot.

• 68. At 7:38pm on 17 Oct 2008, Potty Harry wrote:

The choice is obvious.

Mister Boombastic, as sung by "Shaggy".

In tribute to our newly animated globe-trotting PM, who seems to have found his true mission in the world by saving the global economy single handedly.

I think he probably can.

• 69. At 7:38pm on 17 Oct 2008, textnician wrote:

Delighted that you've lifted the Establishment veil on celebrating England in its own right, as do our Celtic friends with their countries.
    I'm happy with Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory. Vow to the my Country is a bit slow.

Of course one might go a little more alternative with the tongue-in-cheek Flanders and Swann "Song of Patriotic Prejudice" -

"The English, the English, the English are best
    I wouldn't give tuppence for all of the rest.

The rottenest bits of these islands of ours
    We've left in the hands of three unfriendly powers
    Examine the Irishman, Welshman or Scot
    You'll find he's a stinker, as likely as not..etc"
    ;-)

• 70. At 7:38pm on 17 Oct 2008, cornishbhoy67 wrote:

I think it can only be The Archers theme (Barwick Green). It is not political, religious, jingoistic and if you have ever seen Billy Connelly then you will understand where I'm coming from.

All together now.......... 1..... 2.....

Da de da de da de daaaa

Da de da de da daaaa

• 71. At 7:39pm on 17 Oct 2008, pmilne1 wrote:

Im relation to the difference between a national anthem for England and Uk. Why do we need to have on that is indvidual for each country. Fair enough they are different countries but isnt the UK as a whole a better impression if that makes sense then just one indivual country..... hope that makes sense.

I still think Rule Britannia as it could apply to all countries in the UK as the armed forces is British not just English... and it still shows we are proud of our heritage.

In relation to comments about Scotland there has always been debates about this but at the end of the its always part of the UK over all... so why not one song!!

How about the Black Adder theme tune :D..

• 72. At 7:39pm on 17 Oct 2008, wildejamie wrote:

I think it should be Auld Lang Syne and i have thought that for many years now.

• 73. At 7:40pm on 17 Oct 2008, miniman1960 wrote:

I, amongst others believe that HRH Billy Connelly is correct in his way of thinking.
    The National anthem should be the theme tune to 'The Archers' and the words should be: dum de dum, de dum, de dum; etc.
    It raises the spirits and the words would be the same ones most of the nation sings to our current National Anthem already.

• 74. At 7:40pm on 17 Oct 2008, chriscrosscomment wrote:

Don't confuse us Adrian. The question is about England. God Save the Queen is GREAT for Britain; but since Scotland and Wales have their own, it is approriate that England has its own too, and since Jerusalem is so widely loved, and mentions England, it is perfect. Some traditional Christians distrust it because Blake was a free thinker and the Joseph of Arimathia story is thought to be a bit pagan or "Celtic Christian", not mainsteam anyway. Blake probably wrote his poems with English folk songs as his rhythmic backround, the great singer Peter Bellamy, of the Young Tradition - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Bellamy - championed this understanding and sang many of Blake's poems to English folk tunes - but Parry takes the poem (which was also railing against the Industrial Revolution) to higher realms.

• 75. At 7:41pm on 17 Oct 2008, TheQueues wrote:

Jerusalem it must be because it mentions England by name - "England's Green and Pleasant Land"

2 votes please Husband and Wife

• 76. At 7:41pm on 17 Oct 2008, devonswallow wrote:

I'm with the majority...it has to be
    Land of Hope and Glory

• 77. At 7:42pm on 17 Oct 2008, MrBeefy56 wrote:

I like Jerusalem and I vow to thee but the English National Anthem IS ....

Land of Hope and Glory.

It is used by England in the Commonwealth.

We shouldn't use God save the Queen. The anthem (English or British) should be praising the country which is always there not the monarch, who changes. What's more some people don't support royalty so GSTQ alienates them.

• 78. At 7:42pm on 17 Oct 2008, supermack02 wrote:

England doesn't exist as a separate country, doesn't even have a parliament. So can't have an anthem.The sooner the BBC moves programmes to the regions the better to stop centralist nonesense appearing like this the better. The article discussed Britain in the middle ages. Britain did not exist in the middle ages!! An anthem for Britain should not contain songs soley relating to England ( or Scotland or Ireland) In effect this piece of tv was a waste of electricity and not environmentally friendly!
    Sorry if I'm appearing to be Mr Angry, however the One Show seems to be oblivious of the difference between Britain and England (again)and really should not so divisive. The producers need to go on a visit to other parts of Britain, understand them, and not simply pay lip service to the regions and countries.

• 79. At 7:43pm on 17 Oct 2008, kelly-lindley wrote:

Yes we do need a National Anthem, everyone else seems to have on so why can't we?? I think our National Anthem should be Lord of the Dance or Jerusalem as our anthem, as most people know the words, which is helpful!!

Kelly from Watford

• 80. At 7:43pm on 17 Oct 2008, TonyStA wrote:

England should catch up with devolution and adopt Jerusalem as its anthem. Then Land of Hope and Glory as the the British national anthem. Britain spent a lot of blood from each of its constituent nations in setting its bounds wider still and wider. Ireland should make is own mind up.

• 81. At 7:44pm on 17 Oct 2008, politeCoastalchick wrote:

My husband and I have always said that Jerusalem should have been our National Anthem.

• 82. At 7:44pm on 17 Oct 2008, MikeHalling wrote:

Land of Hope and Glory has it all.

• 83. At 7:44pm on 17 Oct 2008, Wyrdtimes wrote:

The UK already has a national anthem - that dirge god Save the Queen.

It's England that needs an anthem.

Jerusalem is about the best on offer but England is already far too much like Jerusalem already.

I vow to thee my country is a good one too.

PS. I know it's a metaphor - but Jerusalem is still a mess.

• 84. At 7:44pm on 17 Oct 2008, bluebarrie wrote:

I would nominate I vow to thee my country as an anthem the current one has inflamatory language against the Scots in one verse so is inappropriate and much as I admire and respect the Queen she is one woman and our anthem should be about the country and the people. Land of hope and glory is a close second but does have a bit about widening bounds and making us " mightier " which is not a good idea in this day and age

Joan of Torquay

• 85. At 7:45pm on 17 Oct 2008, IanandKathBurgess wrote:

Most definitely. God Save the Queen is fine as a collective anthem but we need our own as Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland does. We need an English anthem and it should be ‘I vow to thee my country’

• 86. At 7:46pm on 17 Oct 2008, Pa77ie wrote:

Hi There One Show, what a great show love it.

My chose for the National anthem is ..............

Help, quite appropriate in the curreny climate

Regards, Pa77ie

• 87. At 7:46pm on 17 Oct 2008, DukeofE wrote:

Land of hope and glory is my first choice with Jerusalem a close second. We should be proud to be both British AND English, but we need an English anthem that raises our spirits as a nation. With respect God Save The Queen doesn't cut it any more. It's our country, our hopes and our dreams we should be praising.

• 88. At 7:46pm on 17 Oct 2008, bansweed wrote:

Rick Stein was right. God Save the Queen is wrong in this day and age, and we really need to change. The Scots and the Welsh have a National Anthem. England needs one too. Jerusalem would do it for me.

• 89. At 7:46pm on 17 Oct 2008, sparklingKeithH wrote:

An anthem for England has been long overdue, we should all be proud to be English and I feel Jerusalem says all I feel about England. It's get my vote.

• 90. At 7:46pm on 17 Oct 2008, petertheporter wrote:

I'll go along with an English anthem of Land of Hope and Glory or Jerusalem for events where England are playing and God Save the Queen or Rule Britannia when representing the UK. It's about time the we English begin to remember that we have a long and colourful history of music, country dancing and long forgotten traditions equal to if not superior to that of Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Peter

• 91. At 7:47pm on 17 Oct 2008, splendidkenneth wrote:

On Ilkla Moor Baht 'at

chose a good one like this for the anthem

• 92. At 7:49pm on 17 Oct 2008, ashley750 wrote:

God Save the Queen is the National Anthem of Great Britain, but Wales and Scotland do not seem to use it, at least not at rugby, and probably football, internationals.
    The Welsh team and fans sing Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau, and the Scottish team and fans sing the Flower of Scotland.
    If Wales and Scotland do not use the National Anthem, why should England?
    I look forward to the day the English teams come onto the pitch and sing Jerusalem.

• 93. At 7:49pm on 17 Oct 2008, mrsmollyb wrote:

Definitely "Jerusalem" for National Anthem. It makes you feel alive, pround and brave!

• 94. At 7:49pm on 17 Oct 2008, ilvolpe wrote:

Has to be Land of hope and glory, it just stirs all the right emotions

• 95. At 7:51pm on 17 Oct 2008, johnkimbell wrote:

Although a patriot, I will not sing the current national anthem as it says nothing about the Country, only the head of state.

Land of Hope and Glory should be England's national Anthem.

• 96. At 7:52pm on 17 Oct 2008, 1poppy1dog1 wrote:

How can we possibly have "Land of Hope & Glory!" Those days are long gone. It should be "I vow to thee my Country" for those that want to be British

• 97. At 7:52pm on 17 Oct 2008, gail53 wrote:

If it's time for change, my choice is with Adrian. “I Vow to Thee My Country “has always filled me with emotion and pride. It was my school hymn and will always hold a place in my heart. My Nan's favourite hymn!

• 98. At 7:52pm on 17 Oct 2008, alphinmr wrote:

The English National Anthem should be 'Land of Hope & Glory' as this is used at many sporting events and was used at the Commonwealth Games in Manchester.

• 99. At 7:53pm on 17 Oct 2008, wildmanofbis wrote:

arrival in Utopia by Hawkwind - it recounts a land where the streets are paved with hamburgers, and the rivers run with Watney's draught Red Barrel. Who wouldn't want to live in a place like that. Alternatively we could have "songs from the wood" by Jethro Tull, nothing could be more English.
    My name is Phil and i hail from Pershore in Wychavon.

• 100. At 7:54pm on 17 Oct 2008, wildejamie wrote:

I'm Scottish ok and i think they should have their own anthem and keep 'God Save Our Queen' as the national anthem agreeing with ladybblog strongly.

• 101. At 7:56pm on 17 Oct 2008, Dan-gerous wrote:

I think we need to change the anthem. We must be the only country to have a national anthem about a single person rather than the country... something's not quite right there!

I think it should be "Land of Hope and Glory" as that really sums up England!

D

x

• 102. At 7:57pm on 17 Oct 2008, portruth wrote:

To hear Jerusalem sung with great gusto by newly commissioned officers and their families at Sandhurst must be one of the most memorable moments of my life.

'Jerusalem' and 'I vow to thee ...' are the unofficial army anthems and, while Heaven was mentioned, our soldiers are not seeking war but striving for peace. We had Jerusalem at our son's wedding and the invited soldiers filled one of the choir stalls and it is an abiding memory.

I'm not sure if either would work as a national anthem but as a national song and stirring moment, they both work brilliantly.

• 103. At 7:57pm on 17 Oct 2008, splendidkenneth wrote:

On Ilkla Moor Baht 'at

chose a good one like this for the anthem ROY

• 104. At 7:58pm on 17 Oct 2008, taynew wrote:

I think the natioal anthem should be about our country not one person.
    I would like to have Land of Hope Glory, which is very uplifting and makes you feel very proud.

• 105. At 7:58pm on 17 Oct 2008, scothattie wrote:

I believe George Bernard Shaw campaigned to have our national anthem changed to Sir Edward Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance March No 1. (Land of Hope and Glory) I do not believe God save the Queen can be classed as a national anthem. Surely the clue is in the title i.e. national.Come on people make it a double, pay tribute to Englands greatest composer and a great country.

• 106. At 7:58pm on 17 Oct 2008, originaljackothered wrote:

There can be only one............................................'Jerusalem'.

Next.

• 107. At 8:00pm on 17 Oct 2008, Seveth wrote:

I think that our current anthem is outdated in today's world and would like to see Land of Hope & Glory as our National Anthem.The music is stirring and the words carry some hope for the future.I know some people think its a bit twee but I believe its an improvement on the current dirge.

• 108. At 8:03pm on 17 Oct 2008, Name Changer wrote:

The anthem "God save the queen" will collapse when we have to sing "God save the King" even though the King will need saving!
    "Rule Brittania" is offensive.
    "Land of hope & Glory" just reminds me of Margaret Thatcher
    "Jerusalem is cool" but most of us are clearly not building it.
    How about we have a minute silence to remember the recession?

• 109. At 8:05pm on 17 Oct 2008, annwylimi wrote:

Adrian seemed a bit confused about whether you wanted a suggested anthem for England, or a suggested new anthem for Britain.

But if you want one for England, how about "Rose of England" by Ivor Novello. A good tune and celibratory words.

Of the other main contenders , "Jerusalem" and "Land of Hope and Glory", both have good tunes but the Blake poem is just silly (and England didn't exist 2000 years ago, so "His feet" would have been walking upon Romano-Celtic ground), and Land of Hope is too imperialistic - "Wider still and wider", and blasphemous - "God who made the mighty".

• 110. At 8:05pm on 17 Oct 2008, grian7 wrote:

Hi
    My Father was a German P.O.W for 5 years and the guards would not let them sing "God save the King " so they sang "Land of Hope and Glory" and till the day he died he considered This Tune more poignant for England than most of the others on offer

Best regards

John Greenane

Essex

• 111. At 8:10pm on 17 Oct 2008, Osprey21 wrote:

I reckon Bill Bailey's take on Zipidee Doodah (sp?) that he did in his Part Troll tour would be perfect.

• 112. At 8:12pm on 17 Oct 2008, lightnjack wrote:

I think it is about time England had it's own national anthem. Definitely 'Land of Hope and Glory'.

• 113. At 8:12pm on 17 Oct 2008, rememberangof wrote:

Dynerghys diworth Kernow – Greetings from Cornwall
    Re an English national anthem.
    ‘Jerusalem’ is a fraud. At the time when Jesus is supposed to have come to Britain there was no such place as ‘England’ – a word not used until 1200 years later. Jesus certainly did not ‘walk upon England’s mountains green’. Nor did he visit England as you state on the One Show website. The Anglo-Saxons had not yet invaded and the people here were ‘British’. The country was called ‘Britain’ or ‘Prytain’.
    Why do people persist in talking about ‘England’ when they mean ‘Britain’? One would think there were no Scots, Welsh, Cornish, Manx.
    It’s the usual story of the English wanting to steal our culture, just as they have tried to do with Arthur.

Stein said ‘Trelawny’ was the Cornish national anthem. In fact the correct Cornish national anthem is ‘Bro Goth Agan Tavas’: ‘Land of My Fathers’.

Gans oll bolunjeth an gwella (With every good wish to you)

• 114. At 8:13pm on 17 Oct 2008, fredox wrote:

First choice has got to be Rule Britannia,closely followed by Land of Hope and Glory

• 115. At 8:13pm on 17 Oct 2008, drivingVFRMAN wrote:

Ithink England should have it's own personal anthem to distinguish us from the other "Johny Foreigners" in the UK. I think either (1) the Archers signature tune or (2) Ruel Brittania. The first is uplifing and the second is to show who really s the boss. VOTE CHRISTINE IN SCD

• 116. At 8:13pm on 17 Oct 2008, jeffers8411 wrote:

Who cares what the welsh or the scottish think, this is about the tune we would like to be the English Anthem. The English had no say over what their anthems would be so they have no right to question what we would like.

Either Land of Hope and Glory or Jerusalem

• 117. At 8:18pm on 17 Oct 2008, stewarta1 wrote:

The new anthem for the English should be the tune to the radio programme "The Archers".

I think an invite to "Queen" to write the words might work and who knows there might be a No. One hit in the making.

By the way "God save the Queen" is anti Scottish. Just read all the words.

• 118. At 8:22pm on 17 Oct 2008, ezpiper wrote:

Facts: God save the Queen is the National Anthem of the 'United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland' (that is the official title of this country. Not GB, Britain or UK)
    This however is not an official anthem its official status derives from custom and use, not from Royal Proclamation or Act of Parliament.
    Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have unofficial National Anthems used for sporting occasions rugby, football etc. Politically these 'nations' of the UK exist. England does not politically or constitutionally exist at all since 1 May 1707. England is not recognised by the UK as a nation or a country, England is also not recognised or subsidised by the EU. England is the only 'nation' that is completely governed by the UK Government as it has not been given devolved powers like an assembly or parliament like Scotland and Wales.
    I think a National Anthem for England would help the people of England to have something to be proud of, playing God Save the Queen for England alone, is very upsetting for the other member nations of the United Kingdom. Land of Hope and Glory is played for the commonwealth England sports team. God Save the Queen is played by the English FA at football matches, when they were asked why, they stated there was no difference between the UK and England. Jerusalem has been played to represent England at Rugby.
    Any of those tunes mentioned above would be fine by me, along with an English Parliament.

• 119. At 8:23pm on 17 Oct 2008, pararock wrote:

Has to be Land of Hope and Glory.

• 120. At 8:25pm on 17 Oct 2008, dhillman wrote:

yes we should have a national anthem for england any rousing tune to fire up the blood like every other country .
    instead of god save the queen its now a little dated .

• 121. At 8:26pm on 17 Oct 2008, theporkpie wrote:

I have to agree that the anthem of England is Jerusalem. Any one who was at the Help for Heroes match at Twickenham will know how rousing it is to hear and sing this. The hairs stand up on the back of my neck every time I hear the words.
    From a sporting perspective it would be better for the home nations to hear an anthem for England that was different to the UK anthem when teams line up at sport venues.
    This would mean that when we sang God save the Queen it would be as the UK and other home nations would not feel like they were singing to support England by default.

• 122. At 8:26pm on 17 Oct 2008, donnyyorks wrote:

i say what a disgrace. we do not have a national anthem. jerusalem. tally ho. steve

• 123. At 8:28pm on 17 Oct 2008, donnyyorks wrote:

jerusalem is the only choice for the national anthem. steve

• 124. At 8:30pm on 17 Oct 2008, mellies25 wrote:

Land of Hope and Glory without a doubt, however Always Look on the Bright Side of Life is a close second.

• 125. At 8:32pm on 17 Oct 2008, donnyyorks wrote:

every country of the world has a national anthem except us. jerusalem the only choice. steve

• 126. At 8:32pm on 17 Oct 2008, Graham Tapper wrote:

We already have an English National Anthem - Land of Hope and Glory. Why do we need anything else?

• 127. At 8:36pm on 17 Oct 2008, feltwellram wrote:

i have just watched a 5 minute clip on the subject of an English anthem and as soon as they go back to the studio that pillock chiles says "i quite like god save the queen,give us your views on a british one.when will someone send that baggie berk back to obscurity.

• 128. At 8:41pm on 17 Oct 2008, YoungZoot wrote:

Hey Jude please (or All You Need Is Love)

• 129. At 8:48pm on 17 Oct 2008, BarryBURBs wrote:

Coronation St. theme! Think about it, on the podium, hand on heart, "ner, ner ner, ner ner ner" - Goosebumps!

• 130. At 8:51pm on 17 Oct 2008, teacherspain wrote:

post 113 reinforces the need to recognise all cultures which make up britain. As a first time poster and not English I am heartened by the number of people who appreciate that GSTQ celebrates one person. It must also be said that as a Scot I HATE Flower of Scotland. I find it offensive and do not appreciate the anti english sentiments. I also think that each niation of GB should have an official anthem.

PS what about Cindy Lauper True Colours

• 131. At 8:52pm on 17 Oct 2008, onefanatic wrote:

I think we should keep God Save the Queen as our British anthem but Jerusalem or I Vow to Thee My Country as our ENGLISH Anthem.
    I would like to ask Adrian or Christine "Is John Sargeant .....Jo Brand's brother?...there is a family resemblance"

• 132. At 8:55pm on 17 Oct 2008, Manaracat wrote:

God save the Queen is outdated now and is not really relevant to the whole country as not everyone are supporters of the Queen and the royal family. It should be changed to Jerusalum or Land of Hope and Glory.These two songs get the whole nation singing, united and feeling very patriotic.
    Shelley. Derby.(manaracat)

• 133. At 8:56pm on 17 Oct 2008, charlesspan wrote:

I would vote for Jerusalem as an anthem for England. It is inspirational, it mentions England and it doesn't demean others.

• 134. At 8:58pm on 17 Oct 2008, Eidy_71 wrote:

The national anthem should relate to the country so i choose "I vow to thee my country".

• 135. At 9:00pm on 17 Oct 2008, ilbamoobac wrote:

Forget about Land of Hope and Glory, Jerusalem etc; what England needs is "Rose of England" written by Christopher Hassall with music by Ivor Novello. I would suggest the refrain only. It`s stirring stuff, ideal for stiffening the sinews

• 136. At 9:06pm on 17 Oct 2008, Goddersblog wrote:

I thought 'Land of Hope & Glory' by Elgar was the English National Anthem. They play it at our medal ceremonies during the Commonwealth Games. This is such a great anthem that really stirs up the pride in our nation....something we don't do enough of anymore. My wife is Canadian and over there they are not shy or ashamed to show pride in their country at all...their anthem is 'Oh Canada' incidently!

• 137. At 9:12pm on 17 Oct 2008, sweetAlexEmery wrote:

Land of hope and glory should definitely be our National Anthem...we need a change from God save the Queen

• 138. At 9:19pm on 17 Oct 2008, KennyM wrote:

Got to agree with the others who said that the Archers theme tune would be a suitable replacement anthem.

Just think how many Golds we would have won at Beijing with that! ;)

• 139. At 9:21pm on 17 Oct 2008, ROYTHECOIN wrote:

God Save The Queen:- NO. Written by a German as a Funeral March!!! Must be Jerusalem.

• 140. At 9:37pm on 17 Oct 2008, horologistman wrote:

Dear Oneshow,

With the present government we do need a
    English National Anthem.

My suggestion is:-

ONE FOOT IN THE GRAVE

This may sound a little extreme but I think we are already there!

• 141. At 9:41pm on 17 Oct 2008, judypops64 wrote:

Like Angelica - Jerusalem was my school hymn which we sang at the end of every term. I too found it exhilarating, powerfully uplifting and I sang my heart out as the music teacher thundered on the piano keys!
    I would love it as our National Anthem - if anything was to replace the current one, Jerusalem should be it.
    Judith

• 142. At 9:47pm on 17 Oct 2008, tigeldi wrote:

Take Um All - by Cock Sparrer
    Best Band In The World

• 143. At 9:56pm on 17 Oct 2008, prettydaggers wrote:

Land of hope and glory is good because it covers all of the u.k. Being Scottish I refuse to sing Englands green and pleasant land.
    Well,, be fair,,if you are English would you sing Scotlands green and pleasant land?????

• 144. At 10:20pm on 17 Oct 2008, comet10 wrote:

Land of Hope and Glory OR Jerusalem would definately get my vote!
    Both sound more modern and upbeat. Both seem more meaningful and makes you feel proud to be British and in the right environment brings a lump to your throat.

Would like to see a trial of either song at the next England game, either football
    (april 2009) or the up and coming Rugby games to see how everyone responds to the possible change?

Anyone else agree?

• 145. At 10:28pm on 17 Oct 2008, Blaentafolog wrote:

And did those feet?

There wasn't any England
    When Jesus walked this earth,
    The Angle, Jute and Saxon
    All in their Baltic berth,
    And if our Lord came this way,
    Preaching in the flesh,
    He would have found his way about,
    Through speaking ancient Welsn.

Every one of sung questions of this anthem would be answered at Celtic sporting fixtures, with the very loud answers, NO- NO-NO.
    It is now time to stop stealing Celtic history.

• 146. At 10:57pm on 17 Oct 2008, blogginggeoff wrote:

I was very annoyed when Adrian Chiles asked Mr Stien [If the Cornish had an anthem] Mr stien is neither a Padstonian or a Cornishman and should not have been asked this question,perhaps a little more research should have been done.
    To associate mr stien with Cornwall is a very sad thing,he as done his best to destroy the character of Padstow.
    With regards to the national Anthem I say Keep[ God save the Queen ]
    Regards blogginggeoff.

• 147. At 11:09pm on 17 Oct 2008, lordderrickhambone wrote:

How about: I am forever blowing bubbles.
    It talkes about dreams fading & dying. Our fourtune always hiding.
    I think that just about sums the country at the moment.

Our country is no longer great.
    I feel we are going down hill backwards with the brakes off.

• 148. At 11:09pm on 17 Oct 2008, shawty_c wrote:

I would just like to mention that God Save our Queen is infact the Bristish National anthem and the English do indeed have a national anthem. However I cannot remember off hand as to just what it is and how it goes.

• 149. At 11:23pm on 17 Oct 2008, Thebinoman wrote:

There can only be one anthem for us and that is as many have previously mentioned "Land of Hope and Glory"
    God save The Queen should be saved and played only in the presence of the Queen,
    In the same way the Americans Have a National Anthem and Here comes the Chief, when the President is there in person.

• 150. At 02:06am on 18 Oct 2008, littleSaxmad wrote:

Some interesting thoughts, but I go along with Pomp and Circumstance, Land of Hope and Glory. It's by a great english composer and is very uplifing to sing or perfom. The word 'mightier' does not necessarily refer to amassing land or misuse power. Carol, Burton on Trent

• 151. At 07:24am on 18 Oct 2008, Roy Parkhouse wrote:

"I Vow to Thee, My Country" to the tune "Thaxted" by Gustav Holst, with amendments to the usual lyrics, placing more emphasis on loyalty and peace, would be my choice.

• 152. At 09:46am on 18 Oct 2008, Raybrown50 wrote:

If feel that 'Land of Hope and Glory' is the best choice you only have to listen to the audience at the Royal Albert Hall on the Last Night of the Proms!

• 153. At 11:03am on 18 Oct 2008, wearywillum wrote:

Our current national anthem is tedious, also it is shared (music only) by an anthem of the U.S.A. I believe it is called `America the beautiful`. Jerusalem is a great suggestion for an English national anthem, but what about `Land of hope and glory`, beloved by the promenaders and just about everyone else?

Willum from Morecambe.

• 154. At 11:06am on 18 Oct 2008, alasitsgas wrote:

Please get rid of the durge God save the Queen,and replace with Land of Hope and Glory or secondly Jurasalem.

• 155. At 11:08am on 18 Oct 2008, robodoc1 wrote:

"Jerusalem" and "I Vow To Thee My Country" may be wonderful but as anthems for England they are geographically suspect: Jerusalem is in the Middle East whilst "I Vow To Thee My Country" is to a tune from "Jupiter", which I seem to remember is somewhat further away even than the Middle East!

Flanders and Swan dealt with this very question (a National song for England) in the 1960's: So far only one other person has mentioned the "Song of Patriotic Prejudice" that they produced as their answer: Even if the team at The One Show feel that in modern Britain the sentiments of this comic song don't quite suit the requirements of a national song (and, in truth, anyone could see why they might come to this conclusion since they say at the outset that it is "calculated to offend practically everybody") it is at least worth an airing: I'm sure the BBC will have several clips in their archives somewhere of them performing it. For the rest of us, there is a clip on the net:

N.B. The lyrics of the last verse on this clip have been modified from the original for the American audience for which they were performing!

• 156. At 11:11am on 18 Oct 2008, alasitsgas wrote:

Please get rid of the dirge God save the Queen,and replace with Land of Hope and Glory or secondly Jurasalem.

• 157. At 11:51am on 18 Oct 2008, MatureEastStandFan wrote:

MatureEastStandFan. Tony Flaherty

While most nations' sporting representatives sing of their pride in their nation, our sporting heroes ask god to save a queen who does'nt even understand the offside rule. If our footballers sang "I Vow to Thee My Country" or "Land of Hope and Glory". Such would be their pride that it would give them an advantage from the start. If we must retain"God save the Queen", as our anthem, keep it for ceremonial occasions, and let us all sing of our national pride at sporting events.

• 158. At 12:02pm on 18 Oct 2008, onepatrick wrote:

AT LAST This toppic is been debated again,
    YES England needs its own anthem and Jerusalem fits the bill perfectly,
    Rousing tune, Moving lyrics, and emotional,
    BUT above all Great Britain needs an Anthem for the PEOPLE and the COUNTRY
    NOT for ONE person / family, God Save the Queen / King also celebrates slautering the people of SCOTLAND, this can not be allowed, we should follow the example of the USA and have a new anthem that celebrates the people and this great country of ours, either a completly new tune / song or one of the great songs we already have, "ie"
    1ST = LAND OF HOPE AND GLORY
    2ND = POMP AND CIRCUMSTANCES
    or put words to one of our other great tunes like Nimrod etc,
    ANYTHING has got to be better than the present DIRGE

• 159. At 12:17pm on 18 Oct 2008, Linda_Cheshunt wrote:

I agree that England should have its own Anthem and can think of no better choice than LAND OF HOPE AND GLORY.

• 160. At 12:23pm on 18 Oct 2008, graniteAnnJenkins wrote:

Hi with reference to Friday's programme and the national anthem. I really don't think it should change from the Queen's anthem, she is our monarch and rules this country. I do, however, think that Jeruselem and I Vow to thee my Country are stirring anthems in their own right and can be sung along side of our respect to the Queen. These hymns sung when the troops come home or any other poignant events. The Queen's national anthem should stay.

Love the programme, well done to you all.

• 161. At 12:29pm on 18 Oct 2008, onepatrick wrote:

Of course the best anthem has got to be

MARCHING on TOGETHER

• 162. At 12:45pm on 18 Oct 2008, drivingVFRMAN wrote:

The "Archers" theme, no contest.

Vote CB in Strictly.

MT from Chesterfield.

• 163. At 12:50pm on 18 Oct 2008, thecrimstudent wrote:

For years I have bemoaned the fact that we the English seem to have no rights within the UK, with who ever would listen to me. One taxi driver told me ‘you should go on the radio and appeal to the English nation’ for we do not have a national anthem of our own, we have no identity of our own.
    Jerusalem, written by William Blake, to me epitomises our English heritage and our birthright. In our land we the working class have throughout the ages worked hard to move forward shaking the shackles of our earlier enslavement to the mills, coalmines, wealthy farm owners as well as mere servants to the rich in their fine homes. And for all the hard toil our grand and great grand parents went through to survive they always had the vision of our beautiful countryside to comfort them, for England is a beautiful country.
    It has to be the one song along with the empowering music that shows the world we are proud of our heritage no matter how unkindly others opinions of us might be.
    Suggestion, perhaps in the case where more than one medal is won by athletes representing different parts of the UK in the forth coming Olympics the country’s own national anthem followed by the anthem for the Queen could be played.

• 164. At 1:23pm on 18 Oct 2008, richard86xxx wrote:

I remember reading a really good book about the song Jerusalem and what it meant and how it came to be written. I found it to be most interesting and informative. It was written by a BBC journalist called Jeremy Paxman. This book explains that the song was introduced in the first world war for the same reason that There Will Be Bluebirds Over The White Cliffs of Dover was introduced in the second world war. The reason was to boost spirits as they were running low.

• 165. At 1:25pm on 18 Oct 2008, will2839 wrote:

The English must have their own National anthem,we do not want the British National anthem,the Scots etc have theirs and we want ours,we are not British we are proud to be English the sooner the establishment recognises us the better,we would also like our own parliament catering for English interests,just like Scotland has,anything less is Anti-English discrimination,something this appalling government is good at.

• 166. At 1:41pm on 18 Oct 2008, swinklestar wrote:

For a British national anthem I think it should be 'Land of Hope and Glory' to encompass the other nations - for the English they can have 'Jersulam' and keep their chariots of fire

• 167. At 3:30pm on 18 Oct 2008, rayveasey wrote:

i think a fantastic anthem would be land of hope and glory much better than the current one we have to put up with so dull and dreary

• 168. At 4:16pm on 18 Oct 2008, peterjones1967 wrote:

Hope and Glory is good, or There always be an England.

• 169. At 4:28pm on 18 Oct 2008, goldendovebird wrote:

Hi, I thnk "Jersulam" would be a very fitting song for England, What has happened to England as we knew it, The "English" are being overtaken and our heritage is being lost , even travelling aboard now you can't put "England" you have to put "UK" so let's have a national anthem, Only the other day a visitor tried to tell me how to use our parking meters!!!! let's fly more English flags and be proud to say "I'M ENGLISH"

• 170. At 4:51pm on 18 Oct 2008, jiccabod wrote:

What about; 'Rose of England.'
    For those who don't know it, the words are:

Rose of England thou shalt fade not here,
    Though the storm of battle soundeth near,
    Red shall thy pettles be as rich wine untold
    Shed by thy warriors who served thee of old.

Rose of England breathing England's air,
    Flower of liberty beyond compare,
    While hand and heart endure to cherish thy prime,
    Thou shalt blossom till the end of time

• 171. At 4:54pm on 18 Oct 2008, stevieb45 wrote:

Yes we do need our own anthem. And we need our own identity.
    Can some one tell me why Angellica refered to it as a British anthem!
    Be nice to have an English PM to.

• 172. At 6:16pm on 18 Oct 2008, brightsuperwoman wrote:

We should definitely have an anthem of our own. My suggestion Land of Hope & Glory. Why should the other home nations play their own anthems and sporting events and we have to have God Save the Queen. That should be saved for events by Great Britain.

• 173. At 8:24pm on 18 Oct 2008, Ben wrote:

Rule Brittania for the 'British' national anthem, Jersulam' or 'Land of Hope & Glory' for England.

If the Scots and Welsh can have theirs, so should we.

A little more pride in this country, by this countries own kin, would not go amiss.

A little less of the yellow and green and a little more of the red white and blue.

• 174. At 01:18am on 19 Oct 2008, SecondFiveEighth wrote:

Why the debate? We already have an English anthem, it's Land of Hope & Glory, it has been de facto anthem since the 1930's (with the permission of Elgar to use the music), and that's why it's played as the English anthem at the Commonwealth Games, the Rugby League World Cup, etc.

It's the best in the world and absolutely it should be played at every English team sporting event! The Royal Family okayed it for Twickenham years ago, so why not

• 175. At 10:31am on 19 Oct 2008, newshounddog wrote:

My Anthem would be Land of hope and glory, look how popular it was at the Manchester commomwealth games and i think the national anthem is not exactly cheerful is it (how many people can fully recite it i can't) and the queen never looks happy during it

• 176. At 11:50am on 19 Oct 2008, pilot531 wrote:

Regarding the National Anthem I have always thought that "Land of Hope and Glory" was a stirring song and the words are just about right. How about it ?
    Keep up the great work with the show.
    Best Wishes
    Pilot531

• 177. At 11:53am on 19 Oct 2008, missusoneshowfan wrote:

Did any one see the Billy Connelly sketch about the National anthem? He proposed changing it to the Archers theme.He was hilarious,strutting across the stage with a pretend flag for the opening of the Olympic Games loudly humming a rousing version of the Archers theme.He thought it would cheer the GB team into winning.Every time I hear it I think of him and have a giggle.

• 178. At 12:02pm on 19 Oct 2008, rockalex15 wrote:

I think that the new national anthem should be 'London Calling' by The Clash!

• 179. At 12:09pm on 19 Oct 2008, furiousoldyorkie wrote:

I think that we should adopt

"I vow o thee my country" as our anthem.

The words should mean something to every one.

Robin Midlands

• 180. At 3:35pm on 19 Oct 2008, 08oxleya wrote:

I think that the one show theme tune would be a great anthem for England though it would have to be a tad longer.

• 181. At 6:02pm on 19 Oct 2008, queenenglishrose wrote:

Yes, England should have its own national anthem. As already noted, it is the only UK country that does not have a recognised anthem of its own. Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory are both OK by me.
    I have always thought it unfair that it is only for England that God Save The Queen is played on occasions such as rugby matches but Wales and Scotland have an anthem specific to them.
    This just continues the current trend of conflating England and Britain.

• 182. At 7:49pm on 19 Oct 2008, sirCosmic_Cosmo wrote:

Kevin O'Sullivan. Halstead. Essex.

At home international Rugby matches, our neighbours are given a massive pre-match spiritual uplift whenever they hear and sing their national song. In comparison, England supporters are left at an enormous disadvantage by having to sing not an English anthem, or even anything remotely resembling a NATIONAL anthem: oh no, we have to sing what is essentially a very boring sycophantic song about God saving the UK head of state, which certainly wouldn’t be out of place in any dictatorial banana republic, droning out sentiments about our head of state that even North Korea’s Kim Jong-il would be too embarrassed to accept.

Every England supporter I know would love to hear and sing the traditional and emotionally heart felt song of England and its people; Elgar’s Land of Hope and Glory from Pomp & Circumstance march No1. It’s high time the English were at least given this small crumb of National pride, or are we to be discriminated against in this matter as well?

• 183. At 7:52pm on 19 Oct 2008, Home Rule For England wrote:

I'm happy for Jerusalem Land of Hope and Glory or I Vow To Thee My Country to be England's national anthem.
    The main point is that England should have a national anthem.

• 184. At 8:11pm on 19 Oct 2008, dianeallison wrote:

Dave Toye wrote a song nearly 20 years ago. In my opinion it could be a great national anthem. You can listen to a simple recording of it just with guitar at http://www.davetoye.co.uk/gatwick/slowengland.mp3 But imagine this sung on the terraces at Twickenham!

It's England for me
    No finer land you'll see
    You may travel all the world
    In England let me be

And when the springtime comes around
    The bluebells carpeting the ground
    My heart will sing, if I'm within
    Old England's pleasant land
    In summer by a clear chalk stream
    Or on the Downs to sit and dream
    Of pints of beer, and old friends dear
    In England's pleasant land
    Chorus

In autumn days the hedgerow's fare
    The berries, nuts, a-growing there
    To stroll down lanes, between the rains
    In England's pleasant land
    And in the chill of winter days
    To roam the fields and Roman ways
    And then retire, to the pub log fire
    In England's pleasant land
    Chorus

The changing season's through the land
    To feel the warmth of Cornish sand
    Or in the Dales, in blustery gales
    To walk the wet moorland
    And when I am in foreign parts
    Old England stays within my heart
    If I should die, please let me lie
    'Neath England's pleasant land

Chorus

• 185. At 10:00pm on 19 Oct 2008, englishbow wrote:

Don't you people get it, they want you to suggest a national anthem for ENGLAND NOT BRITAIN.

Angellica sang Jerusalem at the end of the school year it made her "proud to be British" please can smeone have a word with this lady it's about ENGLAND.

• 186. At 4:40pm on 20 Oct 2008, joan36 wrote:

God save the Queen is not a National Anthem. We need a proper National Anthem just like other countries.

• 187. At 4:56pm on 20 Oct 2008, mysuzibandit wrote:

I was always taught that Land of Hope and Glory was the British National Anthem. When did it stop being ?

Mysuzibandit

• 188. At 7:11pm on 20 Oct 2008, Scatman_Spam wrote:

GO GO POWER RANGERS

• 189. At 9:14pm on 20 Oct 2008, geoffpfc wrote:

There is certainly a significant interest in this topic, can I suggest that a proper test of public opinion is produced.

My idea is that you select a short list from the blog postings and then for "Children in Need" you have a telephone poll and the money raised goes to the children.

The anthems could be sung by the winners of the choir competition.

• 190. At 09:01am on 21 Oct 2008, cjrichardson wrote:

There should be a National Anthem for England, as there is with all the other UK countries - either Land of Hope and Glory or There'll Always Be An England.
    Jerusalem is only for religious people and many of us are not religious, but are patriotic.

• 191. At 7:25pm on 21 Oct 2008, Simon Bishop wrote:

The band Gong,with their track, The Flying Teapot,after 5 min and 50 secs the line comes in 'Have a cup of tea, have another one, have a cup of tea' How English.

Just imagine ,90,000 people at Wembley singing about tea.

Simon Bishop
    Ipswich

• 192. At 09:16am on 22 Oct 2008, cranham1 wrote:

Land of Hope and Glory has got to be the one for an English National Anthem. The Scots & Welsh have theirs and this sudo Home Rule - why can we not have at least our own anthem. Please - Land of Hope and Glory.

• 193. At 12:34pm on 22 Oct 2008, barbaracoulson wrote:

Yes I think me need an anthem for England the welsh,scots and Irish have there own. I think it should be either There'll always be an England or Land of Hope and Glory.

• 194. At 1:30pm on 22 Oct 2008, 4FORKHANDLES wrote:

I think Land of Hope and Glory speaks for itself as a great antheme.The six nations rugby steeped in nationalism,and we have God save the Queen,something with a little more passion is really neccessary.Even the Irish are allowed to sing to anthemes

• 195. At 4:33pm on 22 Oct 2008, paphiagirl wrote:

God Save The Queen is the national anthem of Great Britain. Why is it played at events when ENGLAND is competing, whereas Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland play a different anthem? I suggest that "Land of Hope and Glory should be the national anthem of England

• 196. At 9:02pm on 23 Oct 2008, royaltroopship wrote:

Jerusalem for me. Like Angellica Bell I became familiar with Blake's Jerusalem when very young. By nine or ten I had memorised the words. These words have always resonated within me at a very deep level and have affected how I think and act all my life.

It represents a theme of trying to create a better land for all the people that live within it. A land that is tolerant and compassionate. Jerusalem is of key importance to three of the world's major religions. By extension that can be extended to others and to include race, creed or colour etc. live and let live.

We English are not a racial group. Those of us, whose ancestry goes back into early British history, are at least 80% Celt. Since the Romans left we have had influxes of Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Danes, Normans, Huguenots, Jews, Scots, Irish, Welsh, Cornish, Africans, Asians and many more. We are a mongrel breed and that has given us our strength. I enjoy the diversity.

Rather, being English is an attitude of mind: expressed by William Blake and others. For instance Rupert Brooke:

"And think this heart, all evil shed away,
    A pulse in the eternal mind no less
    Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;
    Her sights and sounds; dreams as happy as her day;
    And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,
    In hearts at peace, under an English heaven."

The above represents an ideal, something not yet attained but an aspiration and an inspiration.

Anyway all this talk of national anthems and patriotism is something we English become slightly embarrassed by - taking ourselves far too seriously, just like foreigners do!

I enjoyed dianeallison's quote of Dave Toye's song.

My personal anthem is the big tune from Pomp and Circumstance No. 4. Keeps me going when times are hard.

Alan - Cornwall

• 197. At 9:06pm on 23 Oct 2008, royaltroopship wrote:

It represents a theme of trying to create a better land for all the people that live within it. A land that is tolerant and compassionate. Jerusalem is of key importance to three of the world's major religions. By extension that can be extended to others and to include race, creed or colour etc. Live and let live.

"And think this heart, all evil shed away,
    A pulse in the eternal mind no less
    Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;
    Her sights and sounds; dreams as happy as her day;
    And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,
    In hearts at peace, under an English heaven."

I enjoyed dianeallison's quote of Dave Toye's song.

Alan - Cornwall

• 198. At 3:24pm on 25 Oct 2008, geospaceman wrote:

There can only be ONE possible choice of anthem. - 'The English are Best' by Flanders and Swann.
    (Play it on U-tube- if you will)

It would cover the Country for all eventualities i.e the independence of all other parts of the UK, breakup of the EU and much much more.

• 199. At 9:33pm on 28 Oct 2008, parsonsparaphernalia wrote:

Oops, being Welsh I shouldn't comment but I think something loke 'Lost Cause" by Beck although not very singable it is suitably depressing. Oh, hang on it doesn't matter if its singeable the English can't carry a tune let alone sing :)

Tony. Welshman damned to live in England

• 200. At 7:14pm on 23 Jan 2009, tinyphishy wrote:

yes of course we need a new National Anthem.
    Land of hope and glory is the obvious one or with Scotland wanting independence what about There'll always be an England. Scotland, Wales have their own one, why not us in England

• 201. At 7:25pm on 23 Jan 2009, clearblueeyes1972 wrote:

I think the national anthem sould be "I Vow To The My Country

• 202. At 7:27pm on 23 Jan 2009, bymarmalade wrote:

Is it my imagination or did the USA pinch our anthem for the Obama inorguration, sung by Aritha ??

• 203. At 7:47pm on 23 Jan 2009, Lopek274 wrote:

It's time for a non-religious anthem that talks about our country, not the royal family.

I don't believe in God, and think the monarchy is outdated, so the current anthem is completely meaningless and irritating to me - not to mention terminally dull and slow.

• 204. At 12:15pm on 24 Jan 2009, CairnTerrier wrote:

Either I vow to thee my Country or adapt another well known song

The people's flag's a cross of red,

It shrouded oft our martyr'd dead

And ere their limbs grew stiff and cold,

Their hearts' blood dyed its ev'ry fold.

Then raise St George's standard high,

Within its shade we'll live and die,

Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer,

We'll keep the red cross flying here.

No problem

Jethro

Cheshire

• 205. At 2:42pm on 24 Jan 2009, lynchburg56 wrote:

Very interesting artical. I've been thinking for some time that we need a proper "national" anthem.

"God save the Queen/King" is really only a homage the monarch.
    We should have a rousing anthem that inspires a greater national identity, of which "Land of hope and glory" is very good example.
    We could keep both for use at different occasions or ceremonies.

In the USA they have a stirring "national" anthem in "The star spangled banner" and a tribute to their leader/figurehead, in this case President, in "Hail to the chief".

Alan from Gosport

• 206. At 10:04pm on 29 Jan 2009, jan1c3 wrote:

Yes I agree England should have its own anthem "Amazing Grace" is nice enough but it's known up here as "The Gaelic Psalm" so maybe not very fitting.
    "Land of Hope and Glory" is better than the current dirge, G.B must be the only country who are lapped during the opening ceremony of sporting events.
    One more thing as far as I can gather a lot of us don't want independence, but after hearing different comments from various relations, from "down south" about how everything in England was bigger, cheaper, brighter, superior but at least they're trying!(cringe)
    Now I have a question we all know how Scotland celebrates its Bard's national day, which Poet would England choose as it's Bard and how would he/she be celebrated?
    Jan Glasgow

• 207. At 9:20pm on 09 Feb 2009, sedge_42 wrote:

For Canary Wharf (London) or Wall Street (New York) the anthem should be the Dire Strait's hit "Money For Nothing".

• 208. At 9:27pm on 09 Feb 2009, sedge_42 wrote:

Land of Hope & Glory should be England anthem, or one of the songs played at the last night of the proms.
    In response to jan from Glasgow, we have Shakespeare.

• 209. At 8:18pm on 11 Feb 2009, grapato wrote:

I didn't realise it was about a ball game! I thought it was a personal "anthem" for one's life so I chose a line from a Jackson Browne song - "You can dream but you can never go back the way you came"(You Love The Thunder)

• 210. At 10:36pm on 11 Feb 2009, squareblobob wrote:

The best anthem would be Three Lions the Engaland footie song, It still brings tears to my eyes......

• 211. At 02:13am on 13 Feb 2009, johnnycurrant wrote:

I think that for an English national anthem it would have to be either 'Rule Britannia' or 'Land Of Hope And Glory', they are both patriotic and, I think, sum up what kind of country England is.
    As for a song that I would like to be my anthem...I would say either 'The Imperial March' from Star Wars, lol, or AC/DC - 'Hell's Bells'.

• 212. At 6:26pm on 16 Feb 2009, polehunter wrote:

I hope this well help.
    www.diplomatical.com/flag_anthem.html

• 213. At 1:38pm on 18 Feb 2009, kerry018 wrote:

live forever by oasis

• 214. At 6:04pm on 19 Feb 2009, sedge_42 wrote:

how about the rugby song swing low, sweet chariot.