Do you think like a man or a woman? Take the test!

The One Show Team | 12:03 UK time, Monday, 7 September 2009

Every evening this week we're using science to challenge some gender stereotypes. On Monday, Michael Mosley asked who has the best hand-eye coordination, men or women? On Tuesday Michael will explore whether men really don't listen, on Wednesday he's asking who has the better sense of direction, Thursday's film is about the way we search for objects, and on Friday Michael examines men's need to show off in front of women.Screengrab of the 'Angles' task, Sex ID test

What sex is your brain?

Are you better at reading maps than your partner? How's your hand-to-eye coordination? Some researchers say that men can have 'women's brains' and that women can think more like men. To find out more about your brain, take our test:

• Click here to take the Sex ID test.

• If the test doesn't pop up, take part at BBC Science.

Compare your brain to Anne Robinson's!Anne Robinson taking the test

We're asking One Show guests and family members to take the 'Angles' task, part one of the Sex ID test. It takes about one minute to complete, and gives you a score out of 20.

The scores so far

Christine Bleakley: 19

Adrian Chiles: 18

Lenny Henry: 6 (though he did say he didn't have his glasses on!)

Sir Stirling Moss: 6Sir Stirling Moss taking the test

Anne Robinson: 9

Males may generally score higher because they tend to pay more attention to space or the geometry of the world around them. Differences such as this may reflect differences in the brain.

What's your score on the Angles task? What sex is your brain? Add your comment below.

You may also like BBC's "Bang goes the theory's" Brain Test Britain.

Comments

• 1. At 8:13pm on 07 Sep 2009, ChaosKadaj wrote:

14 out of 20. I'm between the male and female averages. But on the majority of the tests it states my brain is predominantly male, albeit, I'm female.

• 2. At 8:28pm on 07 Sep 2009, cabbagebasher wrote:

16 out of 20. reckons im femail traits as well as male. not worried

• 3. At 7:08pm on 08 Sep 2009, rhiain1705 wrote:

I got 20 out of 20!! do i win a prize for that hehe. Aparently on average i have a male brain even though i am female :-) not sure whether that is a good thing or a bad thing?!

• 4. At 7:13pm on 08 Sep 2009, helena_666 wrote:

I'm female, 16 out of 20... I did pretty well on the tests for both sexes though, guess I must be in between!

• 5. At 7:24pm on 08 Sep 2009, Jackiieb wrote:

I scored 16/20 on the angles, but my profile said I wouldn't be good at flat pack furniture. I put together our whole kitchen, so I don't think it's very accurate. Good fun though!

• 6. At 8:53pm on 08 Sep 2009, appichappi wrote:

20 out of 20!! Yay!!!

Sex?... Please!

• 7. At 10:14pm on 08 Sep 2009, helena_666 wrote:

Jackiieb I only got 3 out of 20 on the thing that said I'm not good at flatpack furniture... and I'm always putting that together, I love it, I'm just not much good at directions etc. But agreed, it was fun to do!

• 8. At 2:44pm on 09 Sep 2009, sky_viewer wrote:

I got 15 in the angles part. It's all rather contradictory - in the empathising questions part I scored very low, being overwhelmingly a systemiser (matching me being a male). But then I got almost full marks in the eyes part, which suggested the opposite. Also the left thumb on top was a bit rubbish - suggesting the right part of the brain (spatial awareness etc) is dominant (I was rubbish in the spot the difference pictures), which goes against the other tests and any others I've ever done (which give a good score in the logic dept.

So, all very confusing... but good fun.

• 9. At 8:15pm on 09 Sep 2009, munchman25 wrote:

I got 18 out of 20 in the angles test, which i was pleased with. Im not a scientist or engineer though as the explanation suggests.

• 10. At 8:27pm on 09 Sep 2009, ellsbells321 wrote:

I scored 20 out of 20 on the angles task and having completed the rest of the sex ID test, I am told that I have a male brain. I am a female, but I am also left-handed. I presume this makes a significant difference...?

• 11. At 8:51pm on 09 Sep 2009, lilide wrote:

i scored 18 out of 20 making me rather male,however overall i was an average female,which i am.I'm also a hairdresser so i should know my angles.

• 12. At 9:06pm on 09 Sep 2009, appichappi wrote:

post 9: Thanks - you reminded me, my background is engineering/inspection work which might explain my result. I think they need to take into account peoples occupations. For example - I'd be suprised if a female engineer didn't do better at this than a male chef / Police dog handler.

• 13. At 9:13pm on 09 Sep 2009, legendarynataliebee wrote:

Hey i got 18/20, seeing as im female, i have a mostly male brain however my scores where: Angles: 18/20 - always love this test ;), Spot the difference: 71% :o, Hands: Right, Empathising: 3 :P, Systemising: 13/20, Eyes: 7, Fingers: 0.94, 3D shapes: 12/12 :O (however i am actually about to start engineering degree this oct ;), Words: 7 (pretty rubbish tbh), Ultimatum: £25 (i like to be fair :)). Ive always thought im abit different to most females (for a start i hate makeup and girlie things lol). Just thought it would useful to compare against ...

• 14. At 00:22am on 10 Sep 2009, Ian P wrote:

I got 18 out of 20 for the first test and after completing the remainder of the tests I have a male brain. Thankfully, I am a man and my score mirrored perfectly the overall average male taking the tests. I'm not an engineer or scientist, but those subject do interest me.

• 15. At 00:34am on 10 Sep 2009, dan769 wrote:

20 out of 20 in a quick time

I'm male and I found it very very easy. To be honest from where i'm sitting I can't see how you can get any wrong but maybe thats just because I have a male brain?

• 16. At 11:10am on 10 Sep 2009, imatechnoclot wrote:

Your investigation into the ways male and female brains work is very interesting but I'm with the French on this one: 'Vive la difference'. And long may it be so.

• 17. At 11:40am on 10 Sep 2009, mcfreaki wrote:

i got 13/20, and I am male.
      I am also a 16 year old so...

• 18. At 11:49am on 10 Sep 2009, wristspinner wrote:

18 out of 20 on the angles. Me Man!

• 19. At 7:38pm on 11 Sep 2009, jenkinsangela1 wrote:

I scored 16 out of 20 on the angles, I am female.. I think I was predominately well balanced between the two, but I did score high 10 out of 12 on the 3d shapes, which incidentally I would have predicted a much lower score as I always considered myself poor at this type of thing! I scored 7 out of 10 on identifying the mood from the eyes test, think age could give you an advantage here. I'm 42 years old.

• 20. At 8:17pm on 11 Sep 2009, TopGnu wrote:

I got bored about halfway through, just clicked away to finish it, perhaps I am more 'male' then my score suggests, lol.

• 21. At 8:45pm on 11 Sep 2009, MassiveTGFan wrote:

I'm male, but my results say my brain is in the middle. I got 14/20.

• 22. At 10:01pm on 11 Sep 2009, Steven SDF wrote:

I managed to get 16/20 and I'm male.

The entire test puts me at the same score as the average male score. Quite a few tests give a right mixture of results.

I wonder if sexuality may alter anything?
      I'm not exactly the most straight guy and got a guys score.

SDF

• 23. At 11:16am on 14 Sep 2009, eeyore2911 wrote:

I got 19 for the angles thing (am female), 79% for spot the difference, 2 out of 20 for empathy (i'm a nurse!!!), 14 for systemising, apparently prefer feminine faces (?) 8 for rotating shapes and so on... a bit of a mixed bag really!

• 24. At 7:04pm on 14 Sep 2009, terry wrote:

my wife would like to be adopted by Jon bon Jovi, NOW, please and thankyou :)

• 25. At 12:37pm on 25 Sep 2009, LazyRizzo wrote:

I was slightly surprised to get 13/20 on the angles test, and 50 on the overall test, which puts me slap bang in the average of the females. Surprised, because I have done some of these kind of tests before and always come out much more of a man than a woman (I AM a woman).
      Interesting tests though.

• 26. At 7:56pm on 29 Sep 2009, helen2164 wrote:

I got 11 out of 20 which I find strange. I am brilliant at doing flat pack furniture, all my neighbours and family and friends always ask me to put their furniture together!!
      Mind you, does this take into account if your feeling ill? I am recovering from flu!!!

• 27. At 8:20pm on 24 Nov 2009, Laraine wrote: