What did you think of The One Show? Guest: Victoria Wood

The One Show Team | 14:46 UK time, Friday, 18 September 2009

Victoria Wood with Adrian and Christine

It's the second of our one-hour One Show specials! Adrian and Christine were joined by comedian, actor, singer and writer Victoria Wood.

Here's what's on our one-hour special! Click the links to find out more...

London Fashion Week started today. Jonathan Phang examined our attitudes to the super skinny.

Bad dog! Feargal is an Irish Red Setter that loves to chase livestock. Roger Mugford retrained him. Ellie Harrison told us all about it.

What makes a man a decent dancer? Phil Tufnell, in Kingston, conducted an experiment.

Phil and Rav make their first Strictly appearances tonight! So...

Stephen K Amos gave us his take on Elton John's quest for fatherhood.

George McGavin backstage with a tarantulaOscar Wilde created the extraordinary character Dorian Gray. Gyles Brandreth told the story behind the story.

It's on pizzas. Jay Rayner told us about analogue cheese.

The last film of Spider Week! In Hastings, Mike Dilger met a girl who found a tarantula in her shoe. George McGavin (pictured right backstage with a tarantula) came into the studio to tell us more.

Arlene Philips taught off duty cricketers and police officers to dance.

And finally, is your fancy footwork up to the Strictly standard?

Have a great weekend, we'll see you on Monday.

What did you think of the show? Add your comment.

Comments

• 1. At 7:25pm on 18 Sep 2009, eletal wrote:

Slightly concerned by the non-positive methods used during the livestock-chasing dog section. Quite rightly, this is a serious issue, but all that has been taught to the dog is a fear. Far better would've been to train an excellent recall using positive (e.g. not fear based) methods.

Loud noises can be used as an absolute last resort, but teaching a dog to fear something can backfire and cause more serious issues. Your segment did not make it clear what other training methods had been used previously, and that the "coins in a can" method should only ever be used as a last resort.

My worry is that dog owners without the understanding of the psychology will attempt this training method, and cause more damage and issues in the long run.

Is it not better to train animals (and people) using a carrot and not a stick? Both methods might work, but I think most animals (and people) would enjoy the carrot more!

• 2. At 7:27pm on 18 Sep 2009, bubblegumtitch1 wrote:

hi
    just wanted to comment on the fashion industry discussion and felt that it needed to be added that not only is there blame on the visual appearance of the models but the sudden change in the sizing of high street clothes. i seem to fit in anything from a size 10 to 16 although i'm actually a size 12 this seems to be the same for my friends too. it sends a message that your bigger than you are which forces you to feel the need to lose weight.why cant all shops have a standard size 12??

Rebecca
    from kent

• 3. At 7:31pm on 18 Sep 2009, myredwine wrote:

I wish there was more on the issue of size zero. I'm a size six and yet I've spent most of my life being picked on for it in one way or another. Whether it's people "well you never have to worry about how you look" to clothes shops which automatically assume I'm 5' 8'' to be a size 6. I'm not unhealthy, i exercise regularly eat healthy and yet it's hard to not feel guilty about being naturally thinner than average. There needs to be a balance. whatever you naturally sit at as a healthy person is ok. whether that size 6 or 16.

• 4. At 7:33pm on 18 Sep 2009, sky_viewer wrote:

ADRIAN - thanks for reading out another of my posts on the latest One Show Web Show (No. 14), but... you referred to me as a 'SHE'!! I may have ended up with an ambiguous result on the One Show brain gender test (see relevant blog), but that's below the belt!!

(And - don't be alarmed at the username - it doesn't refer to my TV viewing allegiances!)

• 5. At 7:37pm on 18 Sep 2009, leochucky wrote:

Buy Elton John a doll,tell him,you cant feign love by kissing the child 10/20 times,& then wanting him,get a life Elton!!!
    Brill programme.

• 6. At 7:41pm on 18 Sep 2009, FredPlush wrote:

Victoria Wood for Prime Minister! Still brilliant and not on TV anywhere near often enough!

• 7. At 7:45pm on 18 Sep 2009, hazel_love wrote:

Since zero was first shown by all the fashion houses so followed up by the fashion magazines, closely backed by the so called celebrity magazines...which are bought by people who believe what they see...it is no wonder there are so many people with 'eating disorders' these days. I would say that quite a lot of these people are not suffering from eating disorders or their 'disorders' are not psychological, they are a definite decision by those persons NOT to be 'fat'.

There is also a lot to be said for the amount of additives to the 'convenience' foods produced today.

If young people were fed proper meals (made by the parent instead of heating up or microwaving pre-cooked meals) they would be a lot more healthy...there is no excuse for not having time. My mum managed to work a full time job and still cook for myself and my brother, and we all sat down properly for the meal...

In my opinion...

• 8. At 7:45pm on 18 Sep 2009, hazel_love wrote:

...and myredwine, I agree with you wholeheartedly!

• 9. At 7:46pm on 18 Sep 2009, AliCav wrote:

Can you show the group dance from Strictly when they did the Dirty Dancing tribute? Or maybe Strictly is already planning to do their own hommage to Patrick Swayze? But, surely, you or them should do something? Get Arlene to teach the 'final dance' sequence to Adrian and Christine. Now that IS a good idea!

• 10. At 7:51pm on 18 Sep 2009, hazel_love wrote:

I'm so glad to see the back of spider week. Is the only time since the Oneshow started that I've had to turn over, or ask my partner to tell me when it's all gone...

Victoria Wood - I love her! I was working when she was at Crawley Leisure Centre quite a few years ago, and she was totally lovely, and very, VERY funny indeed. A really nice lady.

Thats all
    love
    hazel
    x

• 11. At 7:54pm on 18 Sep 2009, Vicki wrote:

I'd like to point out pet rats and mice do NOT carry diseases transferable to humans as the tarantula expert claimed. Rats and mice make much better pets than spiders in my opinion.

• 12. At 8:12pm on 18 Sep 2009, flowerpot71 wrote:

I might stop watching The One Show due to Arlene Phillips. Victoria and Arlene are at completely opposite ends of the spectrum. Victoria Wood is an incredibly funny, witty, intelligent and generally brilliant performer. Arlene Phillips may be a wonderful dancer and choreographer, but she has never been able to string a sentence together and is insensitive, cruel and completely blind to the feelings of others. When she said that the cricketer at the front of the dance was showing off, she was being extremely cruel. That chap was dancing his heart out and was really quite good. I am sure his family were watching and Arlene's comments were hurtful. Victoria Wood looked incredibly unimpressed and awkward at being on the same sofa. Arlene Phillips has never been good on live TV - surely someone must have pointed this out to her. She should stick to what she is good at and watch TV from her sofa rather than appearing on it, unless carefully scripted!

• 13. At 8:20pm on 18 Sep 2009, scuzzy983 wrote:

I haven't really got much to contribute to the discussion about tonight's show other than to say I enjoyed it very much as I usually do. Just wondering - does anybody know the name of the piece of music used in Jay Rayner's item on analogue cheese? It was a piece of opera sung by a man and went something like 'la la la la' (which I know doesn't help much but it's the best I can do). I'm showing my ignorance here - it's probably a really famous piece, but if anybody does know, could they please get back to me? Thank you in advance. :-)

• 14. At 8:23pm on 18 Sep 2009, Mule wrote:

I don't quite get why the idea of a cheese analogue was treated with such disgust, if it doesn't taste nice then fair enough but surely real cheese that's travelled through the intestines of a cow is the more unpleasant scenario.

I didn't quite understand the character assassination of palm oil either, yes, it has it's negatives much like any other oil but linking it to napalm?! Palm oil IS a vegetable oil anyway. Perhaps it should be mentioned that vegetable oil is a contributing factor in a large percentage of chip pan fires... evil stuff.

• 15. At 8:23pm on 18 Sep 2009, GAZ911 wrote:

I have to say Jodie Kid Looks alot better now then when she was a model.The Fashion industry is as shallow as it gets.It wouldn't be long before size0 is back in "Fashion" so to speak,just look at the comeback furs made.

• 16. At 8:25pm on 18 Sep 2009, aquaticdaisylou wrote:

Where did you get that dress Christine? - I'm obsessed with your wardrobe! Mess your hair up a bit next time and the whole look would be perfect ( the colour is better though not so black and harsh ) anyway it's great to see a presenter that has some fashion sense...finally!

• 17. At 8:52pm on 18 Sep 2009, sky_viewer wrote:

Enjoyed the show (despite all the SCD emphasis).

Re 13: scuzzy983 - you're right, the piece is very famous; one of the most famous in Italian opera. It's Figaro's aria Largo al factotum from Gioachino Rossini's most famous opera (premiered 1816) Il barbiere di Siviglia (The Barber of Seville). If you like it then check out also La Cenerentola (Cinderella) from a year later, which I think is his best opera - simply wonderful.

• 18. At 9:24pm on 18 Sep 2009, scuzzy983 wrote:

sky_viewer: thank you very much! Some more great music for me to listen to and enjoy. Lovely!

• 19. At 10:19pm on 18 Sep 2009, sky_viewer wrote:

Re above - glad to be of help, scuzzy983. This blog is often very helpful for little things like that.

• 20. At 11:07pm on 18 Sep 2009, djwhatsoccurin wrote:

Tonights show was OK but a little lacklustre-I am no great fan of Victoria Wood but she does seem a very pleasant modest lady-I am looking for work at present and I do have a nice suit but I have major problems getting a shirt to fit my neck-when wearing a tie I feel that I am being strangled. SCD started tonight-it will be interesting to see if Adrian gets into the audience as he always seemed to be there when Chris was dancing on the show.

• 21. At 2:11pm on 19 Sep 2009, lucydigi wrote:

i very much like your programmes, there is always something interesting, on friday when you were talking about cheese you showed some lovely pizza's and would like to know which restaurant di you feature. can you send me the details?
    many thanks
    luciana_kavanagh@yahoo.co.uk

• 22. At 8:20pm on 19 Sep 2009, Taymacay wrote:

VICTORIA WOOD FOR PRIME MINISTER!!!? I HOPE NOT!
    Did nobody hear her disgusting remark about Oscar Wilde:
    " ...apart from being a fat man on a treadmill in prison ... "
    I was truly shocked. I will concede she did look very uncomfortable being surrounded by such attractive and intelligent company. Let's us pray there is a Picture in her attic getting more beautiful and intelligent ...

• 23. At 10:47pm on 19 Sep 2009, melypugh wrote:

FRIDAYS SHOW.
    Brilliant as ever but more importantly....Christine, WHERE DID YOU GET THAT GOLD DRESS, I WANT IT!!!! I have looked on nearly all clothes websites, to be honest I bet its not high street anyway, but I loved it, it loked great..........much better than those horrible spiders!!!!
    Thanks for keeping us entertained!!

• 24. At 12:23pm on 20 Sep 2009, scuzzy983 wrote:

Music & dresses:
    I have often wondered what a piece of music used in the programme is called (see my comments above, for example), and many other people write on here asking where Christine's clothes are from.
    Would it not be a good idea for this information to be included in the section above the comments on this page???

(I wrote to Points of View earlier this year asking if it would be possible to have the details of the music used in each programme - One Show or not - included in the 'Programme information' section on the iPlayer. They didn't get back to me and I doubt very much whether this information will ever be included anywhere, but it was worth a try)...

• 25. At 10:07am on 21 Sep 2009, Jobrite wrote:

1/2 an hour is too long 1 hour is painfull

• 26. At 6:33pm on 21 Sep 2009, sagittarius13 wrote:

I think Jay Rayner who talked about analogue cheese should be asked to apologise for the insulting remark he made about vegans while you had no vegans on the show to answer him, quote, " don`t know why anyone would want to be (vegan )but there are some", end quote. There are so many positive reasons to be vegan including optimum health, no funding into the cruelty of the dairy industry, no funding into the destruction of the planet through livestock farming, besides many people have allergies the list is endless. You had nobody on the show to tell him the reason why many people are vegan.I can`t think of one positive reason to eat sentient beings!

• 27. At 6:56pm on 21 Sep 2009, sky_viewer wrote:

Re 26: asking for an apology for this is ridiculous, especially when you say the same thing in the last line of the above post.

Equally ridiculous would be me now asking you for an apology...

• 28. At 7:17pm on 23 Sep 2009, Gordon's_Girl wrote:

I'm still feeling rather upset for that poor frog who was brought in for 'entertainment'. We all know what a frog looks like - it was so unnecessary to bring one in, grasped in a hot hand and no doubt feeling terrified. Spiders escaping were bad enough (but at least had their habitat brought in with them!), but please resist the urge to put amphibians on stage. Screeching presenters, hot lights, hard floor.... Other than that, we love the shows (not keen on a whole hour), particularly enjoyed Jamie on the drums and wish he'd played for longer. How about Chris Packham on the sofa? or Bill Oddie for that matter - where is he these days?

• 29. At 3:34pm on 24 Sep 2009, greyJumbug wrote:

Thank Goodness Victoria Wood behaved like an adult when around spiders. Take a leaf out of her book Adrian and Christine.