What did you think of The One Show? Guest: Arthur Smith

The One Show Team | 16:11 UK time, Tuesday, 5 May 2009

Adrian and Christine were joined by comedian Arthur Smith.

Dom Littlewood met homeowners faced with the problem of negative equity. More on the Homeowner Mortgage Support Scheme here.

Angellica Bell found out about the latest hair replacement techniques. She spoke to Brian Beacon, author of Diary of a Hair Transplant: A Journalist's Search for David Cassidy Hair (Phantom Publishing UK, ISBN: 978-0-9561322-0-8).

Mike Dilger went looking for camouflaged cuttlefish.

Chilli seed packets in The One Show officeAnd Phil Tufnell Phil Tufnell remembered one of the greatest days in the history of sport - 6th May 1954 - the day Roger Bannister ran the four minute mile.

Chilli update: Many thanks to all those that applied for the free chilli seeds  (pictured, right). We'll be sending the seeds out, all being well, tomorrow.

Also: Not sure what to have for dinner? Marvel at the meals of One Show viewers here.

What did you think of the show? Add your comment.

Comments

• 1. At 7:19pm on 05 May 2009, hokeykokeyalex wrote:

due to being in hospital had a bit of a one show holiday.
    nothing changes....
    a london based guest flogging a book and topics largely from london and the south east presented by southern based presenters.
    lots of cheeky chappie sarf east accents and lots of views of the people of london.
    this was supposed to be a show that reported topics of interest from around the country but it is always one or two london topics with the same old faces(dom,phil etc) and a visit to a coastal southern town and possibly a visit every so often oooooooooooop northish.
    it is a joke......

• 2. At 7:19pm on 05 May 2009, quitical wrote:

in response to Arthur Smith -

"daphne fairfax said on July 7, 2007 7:55 PM:
    i have rec, a e/m about my car 4 sale, from - lio-james, @yahoo. wantig me tosend address etc&ha will send a - certified cashier cheque, felt this was to good to be true, daph"

Bit like the show really . . .

• 3. At 7:53pm on 05 May 2009, EdzyArm wrote:

Just a couple of facts/extrapolations.
    First, the comment about a batsman hitting the ball, onto his chest, dropping dead, and the wicketkeeper catching the ball. WELL, according to Tom Smith's (ask Richie Benaud, and he'll give the same answer as below) the batsman would be giving out, by the "bowler's end umpire". If the ball were to rebound way out into the outfield then other interpretation would come in, but that was not was asked. (ES is umpires' trainer/teacher).

Second, Phil Tufnell (lovely chap that he is, but mathematical he is not) said the old chestnut about women improving at such a rate that within 50 years they would be able to run faster than men over ONE MILE. Considering that any woman has yet to run under 4 minutes, AND it has been 50 years since a man did that for the first time, how can a woman run faster than a man in 50 years - that would be asking womankind to run faster than a man, who is still improving (albeit at inverse logarithmic rates), AND catch up a further 50 years of improvement. Who writes this STUFF/garbage for presenters to spout - it makes them look really bad. Get a scientist/mathematician to vet/proof-read the statements before (the lovely) Phil repeats the failings of the last 40 years.
    Ed Stef, Yarm

• 4. At 8:11pm on 05 May 2009, nicedell7 wrote:

roger bannister 4 min mile
    i was 14 at the time and stood outside rogers house in harrow and watched the old newsreels on the roof of a car
    harrow people are very proud of roger and he has been voted as major sports oersonality of the borough
    yet now in his 80.s we wonder why there is no blue plaque outside his houe why does a celeb have to die to get a plaque maybe dom could explain how plaques work x to christine shes lovely
    derekmiles20@tiscali.co.uk 0208 866 3732

• 5. At 8:34pm on 05 May 2009, geordieangel2 wrote:

I must have missed the bit about women improving when I was in the kitchen, If men and women are improving at the same rate, then wont women still be slower than men in 50 yrs time, forgive me if I'm not grasping this, I'm only a woman after all.

• 6. At 8:51pm on 05 May 2009, highland fling wrote:

Hokeykokeyalex hope you are better??we missed you!!nice to see you are back to your normal grumpy self!!only kidding !!be honest you missed the show!!we are addicted to it now !as usual we enjoyed the show regardless where its from!!

• 7. At 9:49pm on 05 May 2009, jadedoldie wrote:

Hokeykokeyalex, hope you are recovering well, and that it was nothing too serious, I too have missed you!

• 8. At 10:02pm on 05 May 2009, greyJumbug wrote:

Arthur Smith very nice man also Phil Tufnell.

I enjoyed the bit about men with Bald heads. I find most of the men I am attracted to cos they are handsome have got a bald head. I do like some men with hair but it is usually their personality I am attracted to first no offence meant. I also worry about Men with bald heads if it is sunny they should have a hat on or if its cold to keep warm.

• 9. At 10:19pm on 05 May 2009, geordieangel2 wrote:

Bald heads seem to be fashionable at the moment, I don't mind if a man has hair or not, its beards I cannot abide, maybe I was scared by a bearded man when I was in my pram.
    Hokey Cokey Alex sorry to hear you have been in hospital, I wish you all the best.

• 10. At 11:38pm on 05 May 2009, sky_viewer wrote:

Hokeykokeyalex - good to have to back on board, though it's good to see you weren't in for too long as your last correspondence was 22 April. Still - long enough -I was in for 4 weeks in 2007 and it felt like 4 months... Hope you're doing OK. Looking forward to the 'viewer' show tomorrow, if it's still on.

• 11. At 09:06am on 06 May 2009, Rinty wrote:

re 3: Well said. According to the show's publicity Adrian Chiles writes much of the script. Does that explain anything?

• 12. At 09:11am on 06 May 2009, Rinty wrote:

re 3: Judging from past form I would say that no one actually vets the scripts for accuracy of fact.

• 13. At 09:13am on 06 May 2009, Rinty wrote:

Welcome back hockeykokeyalex. I hope you are now fit and well.

• 14. At 09:14am on 06 May 2009, robertbridget wrote:

Does anybody else think that Adrian Chiles looks like the dog in the churchill insurance advert.

• 15. At 09:36am on 06 May 2009, Rinty wrote:

Re14: To robertbridget, Please don't get me started

• 16. At 5:25pm on 06 May 2009, highland fling wrote:

Adrian would be the first to agree he looked like the Churchill dog or worse!!thats why we like him, he does take the mickey out of himself!!Whatever he is he is not big headed!!

• 17. At 6:19pm on 06 May 2009, hokeykokeyalex wrote:

hello everyone,,,thanks for your kind words.
    yes i am back and twice as opinionated and grumpy.
    enjoyed the show...just love cockney accents and the views of london...HUMBUG !!!!!!

• 18. At 7:28pm on 07 May 2009, Sparksy3 wrote:

My maternal grandmother was called Daphne Fairfax!!!
    Born on 31st July 1906 and passed away (sadly) on 6th of June 1994.
    I am sure she would have found this feature most amusing.
    As my mother (Serena evelyn nee Fairfax)- her last surviving off-spring turns 70 this year - I have been helped out for a birthday present!
    We had been alerted by a friend of the family of this feature and I have just shown my Mum on iPlayer and felt we HAD to write in!
    Regards,