What did you think of The One Show? Guest: Ricky Gervais

Host_Ryan - One Show team | 11:06 UK time, Friday, 20 March 2009

Ricky Gervais joined Adrian and Christine on the sofa. View our exclusive web-only interview with Ricky here.

Paddy O'Connell has been looking at whether the UK's organ transplant system needs to be changed to give lower priority to those that "only have themselves to blame". Should alcoholics be entitled to a liver transplant?

Do you want your home to be shown on the internet? Lucy Siegle reported on Google's mapping technology. Do you feel that your privacy is under threat from the web?

We travelled to Bradford with Gyles Brandreth as he continues his search for Britain's great graveyards.

And Hardeep Singh Kohli headed to Ascot to look at mobile phone masts. What are the heritage sites of the future?

Have a great weekend, and we'll see you next week.

What did you think of tonight's show? Add your comment.

Comments

• 1. At 7:10pm on 20 Mar 2009, hokeykokeyalex wrote:

its my agenda i admit and my only real gripe about a good show....tonight it took just minutes for our first visit to london.
    i am asking the question of ryan "why does the show always have a visit or topic from london"?
    you do not always visit birmingham,sheffield,newcastle,bristol every single show,why london ????
    ricky the joke about drinkers using the liver more..i could hear the tumbleweed.
    it is a problem when you have a comic star on and ask him a serious question,what do you expect?
    comedians try to be funny.

• 2. At 7:10pm on 20 Mar 2009, flembag wrote:

I think that people who drink enough to give themselves a liver problem should class themselves as the fool and not expect to receive a liver over someone who may need it for medical reasons.
    If there is no-one else on the transplant list then obviously that is a different matter, but i doubt that will ever be the case.
    If people drink enough to destroy their liver then they should not be given the priveledge of another liver.
    Joe from Crawley

• 3. At 7:10pm on 20 Mar 2009, flyingBarabus wrote:

Cannot stand smug little fat guys who laugh at their own innane jokes and think that they are funny.
    Please go pucker up to the yanks some more and leave space for some real comedy characters

• 4. At 7:11pm on 20 Mar 2009, memory_grrl wrote:

Hi,
    appalled at the One Show's Dr. blithely ascribing diabetes to being overweight. As a doctor she should know full well the enormous difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes.

The BBC is a trusted source, so mistakes like this are important. PLEASE clarify to avoid confusion.

Sarah, Sheffield.

• 5. At 7:12pm on 20 Mar 2009, adrianchristine1 wrote:

Whilst I believe that there should be no discrimination (someone could always make a case for somoneone to be undeserving for some reason) I am passionately against transplants. If there is presumed consent, please can someone assure me how my views can be respected if like on the 7/7 bombing I am unconscious with no belongings and torn limbs?

• 6. At 7:12pm on 20 Mar 2009, iirlane wrote:

I'm a bit surprised at the idea of "people abusing alcohol" when in fact it is 'alcohol that abuses some people'. We should not blame alcoholics for being alcoholic any more than we should blame for anyone getting cancer... Everyone who needs a transplant should be treated fairly in my view.

• 7. At 7:14pm on 20 Mar 2009, majesticAgnes wrote:

Another angle: how about a clearly defined test for people who are regular drinkers TO SEE IF THEIR LIVER WOULD STILL BE ACCEPTABLE FOR DONATION! This might have two such obviously blinding benefits, I shall now go back and finish my evening meal!

• 8. At 7:17pm on 20 Mar 2009, mariadewitte wrote:

I had a liver transplant july 2007 and extremely gratefull. I waited very long because I suffered from the fact that people didn't want to donate their liver because of George Best akwful behaviour. I never ever did drink alcohol in my life and I needed a transplant. Please do donate as alcoholics do not get always a transplant,most of the time they are already too sick. I have seen that myself.people like me suffered because of only a few people who abuse their transplant. Thank you to my donor who saved my life.Thank you to all people who put their name on the NHS donor organ list.

• 9. At 7:17pm on 20 Mar 2009, legendaryDuncanSmith wrote:

Tried the google earth. Abit slow tonight though - probably loads of viewers trying it out.

• 10. At 7:19pm on 20 Mar 2009, janelsailchick wrote:

I believe that discriminating is a dangerous situation and should not be allowed - however it is already prevalent.
    As example - the NHS already refuse fertility treatment and follow up support to women over 40 - despite the fact that it is perfectly possible to have healthy children after that age, and the treatment is much cheaper than a transplant. This is a more significant and impactful demonstration of discrimination than transplants - which discriminates against women in an area of basic human rights. Are women less important than liver disease sufferers?

• 11. At 7:19pm on 20 Mar 2009, lilygav wrote:

As an incentive, why not give priority to people who have signed up as organ donors. There seem to be many people who would wish to benefit from organ donation but do not feel that they should volunteer themselves. Regarding liver transplants, l'm not entirely happy with livers from uk donors going to private patients from abroad as has been recently reported

• 12. At 7:19pm on 20 Mar 2009, keaneglassmoon wrote:

I think we should ban red-haired Doctors from the show and all platforms where they can say stupid ill-informed statements like "stopping diabetics from having transplants because they are overweight"... Do they not understand the difference between Type 1 and 2? Yet another idiot to fight against!
    PLEASE APOLOGISE!!!!!

• 13. At 7:20pm on 20 Mar 2009, hokeykokeyalex wrote:

blog 6...my father was an alcoholic,,,he died with liver failure.i miss him but i know he was totally to blame.
    i have chosen the path not to drink and smoke.
    i have had a drink,i have been drunk but i am no more than an every once in a while drinker.
    a drinker has a choice whether to drink or not(i am not forgetting addiction) a person does not get a choice on cancer(life style choices aside).
    drinkers fully have a choice,every drinker that abuses his or her body with alcohol and stops proves they have a choice.
    please do not lump cancer sufferers with drunks.
    i lost my mother to cancer

• 14. At 7:22pm on 20 Mar 2009, sigolding wrote:

A and E Triarge is to ensure that those who'll benefit most from treatment, get the treatment first ! this should be the case for transplants

• 15. At 7:22pm on 20 Mar 2009, hokeykokeyalex wrote:

hardeep.............starts his topic talking about and over pictures of LONDON.

• 16. At 7:24pm on 20 Mar 2009, stagg65 wrote:

Is it just me or does Ricky Gervais look like a fat Captain Kirk.

• 17. At 7:24pm on 20 Mar 2009, aaabrrrtx wrote:

I am a registered donor and I don't have an objection to people who drink, what I do object to and have recently read reports on is health tourists from abroad who can come to this country and pay to receive donated organs. I would like to be assured that any organs I donated were allocated according to need rather than purchased for cash. Since reading these reports, I am considering removing my name from the register.
    Ken from Stockport

• 18. At 7:25pm on 20 Mar 2009, hokeykokeyalex wrote:

RYAN...WHY SO MUCH LONDON????
    IT IS A NATIONWIDE SHOW.

• 19. At 7:25pm on 20 Mar 2009, smartstuart999 wrote:

I am a liver transplant patient from newcastle. I was not an alcoholic but was born with my condition.

I think everyone deserves a second chance. They must learn about the damage alcohol does to the body and serious damage it causes to the liver. This should all be done before they are offered to go on the transplant list and they must prove to the medical team that they are not drinking and will stick to that.

Stuart

Newcastle Upon Tyne

• 20. At 7:30pm on 20 Mar 2009, hokeykokeyalex wrote:

smartstuart999..BLOG 19.EXCELLENT BLOG,agree 100%

• 21. At 7:39pm on 20 Mar 2009, michaelstewart16 wrote:

I strongly agree that everyone is entitled to a 2nd chance but tonights prog touched a raw nerve with me.To explain i am an alcoholic,i have been dry since 2000 having spent a year in hospital.The doctors and others explained that i was a very fortunate man,i listened to what they said but i was diagnosed as suffering korsokof syndrome and a lot of info left me.I was put in a care home for mentaly disabled on my discharge from hospital.I had been in there for a while b4 i realised this was not the place for me,so with the help of social workers doctors ect i was eventualy taken out of that place.I am now back in society and in my own home and still off of alcohol.The education i received when back in society and support for a couple of years helped me greatly.I owe all of these people a lot.Thank you for reading this and i wish you all the best .M. Stewart

• 22. At 7:39pm on 20 Mar 2009, datarossss wrote:

My godson James had a liver transplant due to cancer over three years ago. He is now 16 years old and we are SO PROUD of him. He has been chosen to represent England at the Transplant Games in Australia this year. He really deserves this opportunity. He lost a lot of his childhood because of his illness and his whole family (Mum, Dad and two younger brothers) have been so supportive and wonderful throughout. James and his family are now trying to raise 10K so they can all go to Aussie and hopefully see James obtain a medal in swimming. Transplants are certainly life-savers and only given as a last resort. This is not the end of the story however. Every day for the rest of his life, James has to take care and take medication to prevent rejection. Anyone who receives a liver transplant has to realise just how important it is that they completely resist alchohol in any form for the rest of their lives. We shouldn't presume that everyone will abuse their new found health (as the late George Best did). So I do not think one should condemn ex-drinkers and tar them all with the same brush. At the same time I think they should have been drink-free for at least a year before being considered for a very precious liver transplant. If anyone reading this would like to sponsor my lovely, brave Godson James please visit this site www.justgiving.com/jamesflintham
    Please sign your donor card tomorrow. It is really very important. Thanks

• 23. At 7:45pm on 20 Mar 2009, mechanicaljennifer wrote:

I agree that transplants should only happen once to alcoholics.but I disagree with the lady who said that alcoholics should take second place.
    My son died last year with liver disease, but we discovered only 18 months ago that he had been sexually abused by a family friend and had held that within him for over 20 years. He went to Kings College hospital on two occasions and had given up drink for the reqired six months.
    He was put on the transplant list but sadly lost his life before a transplant became available.
    Many people that do have a serious drink problem have suffered some kind of abuse which lead them to drink as a means of escaping the mental torment.
    Things are not always as black and white as you may think
    Our sons death has left a devastated family and wife.
    Our son did not even get the opportunity to get his abuser convicted in court as the case was dropped after his death.
    This man has gone free maybe even to do the same thing again.We have to live with that

• 24. At 7:51pm on 20 Mar 2009, geordieangel2 wrote:

I have had my name on the donor transplant list since 1974, my bits and bobs may be a little to old now to be of any use, but the medical profession is welcome to any bits they want, all I ask is that they go to a N.H.S. patient, and not to some one who has the cash to jump the queue.

• 25. At 8:04pm on 20 Mar 2009, Misses ESG wrote:

I was never to keen on Ricky,. Not because I don't like his work but I thought he was always coming across arrogant in interviews - hated it. But I thought he was funny and relaxed today and I saw him in the Graham Norten Show - again same impression. He is either in love or growing up.
    Playing the role is one thing Ricky. Hope to see you more often like this.
    Elke

• 26. At 8:04pm on 20 Mar 2009, raindog55 wrote:

Your own article states that 1 in 4 liver transplants are given to alcoholics, which could also be read as 3 out 4 liver transplants are given to people who are NOT alcoholics. My wife was one such case in December 2006
    A viral infection which was never identified attacked and destroyed her liver in a matter of a few weeks. We were lucky and a donor was found with less than 48 hours to go due to her rapidly deteriorating condition. One point that people must be aware of is that a transplanted organ has to be matched as closely as possible to the recipient and if the only suitable match was an alcoholic what should we do? Throw the organ away rather than use it to save a life? Most people do not choose to become alcoholics and surely it is better to use availbable organs for someone rather than not at all. The real solution is to set up an opt out scheme of donation rather than the present opt in. Most people do not opt in simply through laziness, not because of any moral objection. An opt out scheme where the same laziness would work in favour of organ donation would be far more effective. One rule I would strongly support is that anyone opting out of a donation scheme would automatically forfeit the right to receive a transplant if the need arose.

• 27. At 8:07pm on 20 Mar 2009, smilingoneshowfan wrote:

Although I think it is dangerous to discriminate against anybody, I must agree with the others about the drs comments on diabetes. I am a type 1 diabetic since age 17, I am now 51 and find her comments VERY offensive. I certainly had no choice to have type 1 diabetes at age 17. I would appreciate the dr making this clear on the next program that you do not get type 1 early onset diabetes through being overweight. This does not help anybody.

• 28. At 8:13pm on 20 Mar 2009, siusaidhc wrote:

We are all well aware of how successful Ricky is, its being pushed down our throats often enough but….it may be very funny to him and to both the presenters to make a great big joke out of those people who see and hear the dead and those who are modern day Witches.
    Before he makes such a silly ass of himself he should stop and think, does he really want to go about upsetting Spiritualists, Mediums and Witches? The later, like me, follow a nature based religion that works hard to heal people, to spread love and positive energy around.
    And for the whole studio to dissolve into laughter must have been such fun, but at whose expense.
    Today is the Spring Equinox, a very special day in the Calendar for Witches, Druids and many others who mark their year by the seasons turning.
    Where was your piece about this? On the very day you should have showed us some beautiful shots of spring, to lift the spirits of the nation, instead you are making a mockery out of what some will call their ‘spiritual path’.
    So Ricky does not believe in anything at all, that’s very sad, I’d sooner listen to a member of society with depth to their soul than this silly banter.
    Grow up One Show! And start to think before you allow your guests to make a mess of your presenting.

Regardless of what I think about the mess you made of the One Show this evening, I would still wish you all a bright spring full of promise.

Bright Blessings,
    A Pagan in Glasgow.

• 29. At 8:18pm on 20 Mar 2009, hokeykokeyalex wrote:

i am sure 99% of the population think ghosts are tosh.
    ricky could crack a joke about tulips and upset gardeners,about toothpaste and upset dentists.
    he is a funny man,i do not really like his humour but people are so touchy.

• 30. At 8:25pm on 20 Mar 2009, heidibuzz wrote:

Unbelievable! I've been a diabetic since the age of 16 and would like to point out that I did not get diabetes through sitting on my backside eating mounds of chocolate, crisps and the like leading to obesity. I am from a long line of diabetics. What's the word? Oh yeah hereditary!
    Government campaigns are declaring to the world everyday that obesity leads to diabetes. Clarification of the condition needs to be addressed. I tell people that I have the condition and they think it is my fault that I have it! I certainly did not ask for hypos coming out of the blue injecting myself four times a day and no energy most days. PLEASE clarify Dr Jarvis!!!

• 31. At 8:31pm on 20 Mar 2009, chanelno_1 wrote:

Hello Adrian and Christine
    My name is Laura Fasching and Iam 20 years old.
    I was watching your show today about transplantation. i did in fact a liver transplant at 11 months , i was the youngest to have a transplant and to survive for this long 20 years. i feel very stringly about this issue and feel I have alot to say about the greatest gift i have ever got.
    I would love to come on to your show and disscuss this further and try to inspire more people to sign up for donating an organ donnation which deperatly needs to be done.

• 32. At 8:32pm on 20 Mar 2009, hokeykokeyalex wrote:

the one show presenters and guests make mistakes(adrian and lowlifes/soldiers) but a doctor should know better.
    do not hold your breath waiting for an apology.the one show has a no comment philosophy.
    but life goes on

• 33. At 8:34pm on 20 Mar 2009, hokeykokeyalex wrote:

chanelno_1,blog 31..get laura on sounds good to me.

• 34. At 8:45pm on 20 Mar 2009, Rinty wrote:

I am sure that many people only watch the 'one show' in order to be offended by it; and I must say that the show has never let me down in this respect. T1 & T2 Diabetes is their latest clanger. Their superficial approach to serious subjects has got them into difficulties before.

There is problem with the suggestion that one should have to opt out of organ donation instead of opting in. That is by being required to opt out there is a presumtion that the state owns your body.

Going back to Adrian Chiles's recent "lowlife" remark on 9 March in the context of tattoos: I have received an explanation and apology from the BBC.

• 35. At 8:51pm on 20 Mar 2009, hokeykokeyalex wrote:

johnholyer...how do you make the jump from having to opt out to the presumption that the state owns your body in that case?
    rubbish.....it means you own your body and presumes you have no objection to parts of it being used should you be dead.
    simple as that........oh how middle england likes to wring ONES hands and talk of nanny states and state control

• 36. At 9:44pm on 20 Mar 2009, robertbridget wrote:

New Labour BBC and The One Show approach to death and organ donation was predictable as demonstrated in tonight's show.
    The state does not and should not own a dead body.
    The onus being on the individual to ensure there wishes after death are respected is unacceptable in this regard.
    The current voluntary system is best.
    I also received an apology and an explanation from the BBC regarding Adrian Chiles comment about servicemen, low life and tattoos.
    This was all perfectly OK because they did not mean it!!!

• 37. At 9:57pm on 20 Mar 2009, Alba wrote:

I too got an apology from BBC today. It is a pity that AC isn't man enough to give his own apology though.

I thought the Doc in the film (not the female Doc in the studio) gave a very fair report on the subject of alcoholics and transplants. Also, a point made by Raundog 55 #26 re matching is very valid

• 38. At 11:07pm on 20 Mar 2009, Rinty wrote:

re35: It was not a jump, but rather it was careful synthesis. Try it. Try quietly thinking it through. I do not understand your reference to middle england and state control. Is it the case that in your opinion they are one of the same or mutually exclusive. Or is middle england an epithet in your lexicon.

I liked Adrian's shirt tonight.

• 39. At 00:07am on 21 Mar 2009, Betterthanbrad wrote:

"epithet in your lexicon". Brilliant! Keep it up Johnholyer. And please keep making the 'Adrians shirt' joke. Really, it never goes stale.

• 40. At 08:56am on 21 Mar 2009, EasyZyder wrote:

Your studio doctor got things slightly wrong yesterday. Agreeing to become a potential organ donor is more than just about "signing a card" - your name needs to be on the NHS Organ Donor Register: 0845 60 60 400 - and tell your loved ones of your decision.

Also, I don't wish any ill to Ricky Gervais, but if you do want to help someone live after your own death, don't worry about what condition you think your organs might be in now. If they weren't working, you wouldn't be here. Join the register Ricky and use your celebrity voice to encourage others to do the same.

• 41. At 09:08am on 21 Mar 2009, Rinty wrote:

RE 40: I think Ricky Gervais was just making a self depreciatory joke. But I take your point which makes sense to me.

• 42. At 11:27am on 21 Mar 2009, Johnfrum wrote:

As for Ricky not believing in ghosts, well mate, I don't believe in spirits, but I do believe in ghosts.

True hauntings show a predictable pattern, suggesting that we are dealing with energy imprints of past events.

As for apparitions caught on camera, a flaw with the film is indicated. Either overexposure or two frames accidentally super-imposed on each other.

• 43. At 4:31pm on 21 Mar 2009, geordieangel2 wrote:

I don't know why the One Show Doctor didn't point out the difference between type 1 and 2 diabetes, early onset, and late onset, I'm sure she wishes she could step back in time, and change what she said, it is worrying though , when our medical people slip up on something as basic as this.

• 44. At 5:10pm on 21 Mar 2009, Rinty wrote:

Re 43: It is the fault of the superficial treatment that the One Show gives to all of its items. The presenters or the producer should be able to pick up on lapses live as they occur; but they rarely do that on the One Show. They are all preoccupied with rushing to the next item.

I still think that Adrian's shirt was nice.

• 45. At 6:09pm on 21 Mar 2009, ronbri wrote:

All this grovelling to Ricky Gervais makes me sick and you have done it again - he just couldn't resist talking about his balls and testicles and this was at 7.00.pm. When is the BBC going to properly clamp down on this sort of thing instead of picking on the ones that seem politically advantageous

• 46. At 8:04pm on 21 Mar 2009, lrduke wrote:

The dr. was not suggesting that diabetes is always a result of obesity, she was merely stating that it is sometimes the cause of the illness..just as liver problems are sometimes the result of alcoholism, it really isn't a difficult concept to grasp. Taking offence at her statement goes abit too far.

• 47. At 8:07pm on 21 Mar 2009, Betterthanbrad wrote:

Re 44. Johnholyer you've done it again! That great 'Adrian's shirt' gag! Can't stop laughing. It truly is a comedy gem and stays funny even after the 50th or 100th time you type it... If anyone ever says it is getting tired, boring and repetative - I would have to disagree.

• 48. At 8:44pm on 21 Mar 2009, robertbridget wrote:

You are obviously not on the One Show black list.
    You have to post relevant to the show on the night or you will be referred to the moderator.
    However this only applies to certain bloggers.
    I would suggest this is the reason for the comments made about Adrian's shirt on 44.

Christine was jolly and attractive as ever.

• 49. At 9:19pm on 21 Mar 2009, Rinty wrote:

re 48: Thank you. You are correct. That is my reason for 'Adrian's Shirt'.

betterthanbrad is far off being relevant to the show. For some peculiar reason I appear to be the topic: only two posts and both about me. I am flattered. But betterthanbrad should know that it is the one show that is the subject of this blogsite.

Although I liked Adrian's shirt last night I still think that green would suit him better.

Christine's dress was nice.

• 50. At 10:11pm on 21 Mar 2009, geordieangel2 wrote:

What is the importantance of Adrians shirt,
    can I get away with off topic remarks, if I say something nice about Adrins shirt, which by the way was nice.

• 51. At 10:56pm on 21 Mar 2009, Betterthanbrad wrote:

Re 48 and 49: Ah! I get it! So it's an incredibly clever scam allowing you to make 'irrelevant' comments - and yet still get them onto the blog! What an excellent idea. You deserve to be flattered. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

And I liked Adrian's shoes tonight (wink wink!)

• 52. At 08:01am on 22 Mar 2009, Rinty wrote:

re 51: Do I still detect a note of irony in you comments?
    You have used the word "scam" about me and others. I suggest that you check its meaning in a dictionary. It is not really a sensible thing for you to say. Some may construe your remark as offensive. What do you think? However, I'm sure you meant no harm.

Your opinion of me is clear. But to get back to the show: I would be interested in your thoughts on the T1 & T2 diabetes confusion in the context of transplants. You will have noticed that it has been the subject of much debate on this blog.

Adrian seems to be putting more life in his performance these days.

I did not notice Adrian's shoes.

• 53. At 5:36pm on 22 Mar 2009, geordieangel2 wrote:

Post52, johnholyer, on my posting 50, I hope I was not offensive, I admit, I was a bit tongue in cheek, but I was only trying to be amusing, maybe I should leave the comedy to the likes of Ricky Gervais. I most certainly did not mean to offend

• 54. At 9:06pm on 22 Mar 2009, Rinty wrote:

re 53: Thank you. It's OK. No harm done. No offence taken. I think I overreacted.

• 55. At 10:08pm on 22 Mar 2009, robertbridget wrote:

53 & 54
    There are some really nice people who post on The One Show blog.

• 56. At 11:17pm on 22 Mar 2009, Rinty wrote:

re 55: Thank you. But I'm sad because nobody ever says how nice MY shirt looks.

• 57. At 11:43pm on 22 Mar 2009, geordieangel2 wrote:

How sad, I'm sure johnholer's shirt is in impeccable taste.

• 58. At 7:24pm on 23 Mar 2009, Squirral wrote:

thought that Ricky Gervais was dreadful. He was not at all funny, especially regarding the comments on Liver transplants, "those who drink use the new liver more" or something to that effect. He used to be funny, but sorry, no longer. He acts in a superior manner and is not at all funny. I actually felt sorry for him as he was an embarassment.

• 59. At 6:20pm on 24 Mar 2009, ceriblogs wrote:

One Show - Really disappointed. Not offended. Naiveity is a big problem, and the media have recently leaned heavily on the link between obesity and diabetes. Yes, it's one of the many causes, but not the only one - check out this hopeful link for diagnosis of type1: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7926026.stm
    Can you be the change OneShow?
    Do you think you could help us out here, and perhaps have an article about the two very different types of diabetes? We don't need to be offended, just helpful to those who don't know the difference - which could save a life.

• 60. At 7:57pm on 24 Mar 2009, sandyb5562 wrote:

It would be more to the point if we could agree with a comment or disagree than to post a complaint about it - we have too much censorship as it is
    can you not alter the web site to show a depth of feeling rather than contention ?

• 61. At 10:22am on 26 Mar 2009, blue-eyedchuckels wrote:

Dear Christine and Adrian,

I had a liver transplant in August 2000, which was not caused through drinking. I get so cross with people who say "oh so your an alcoholic then". I think it is about time that people where made more aware that there are more liver conditions out there than drink related. It certainly made a difference to organ donations when George Best abused his new liver. Surely that must say that people are reluctant to donate organs if the recipient's will still carry on abusing the opportunity of getting a new life back again.