What did you think of the show? (02/02/09)

Host_Ryan - One Show team | 14:35 UK time, Monday, 2 February 2009

Comedian Phill Jupitus was tonight's guest.

Lucy Siegle reported on the government's plans for slot machines - the amount you can bet and win on the slots is set to double. Is gambling too easy nowadays?

Yesterday, hundreds of clowns paid their annual respects to Joseph Grimaldi, the founding father of modern clowns. Phil Tuffnell went to meet them.

Architectural historian Dr Jonathan Foyle spent a sunny day looking at the story behind a street in Sandwich, Kent.

And Marty Jopson told us about another great invention - the computer. You may have heard of it.

Also: Send in your photos!

We want to see the objects you can't bear to throw out... for whatever reason. Send in your photos here and they may be shown on the programme.

We want your snow pictures too. Send them in here.

What did you think of the show? Add your comment.

Comments

• 1. At 7:20pm on 02 Feb 2009, glowingkatieh wrote:

Hello. I think that The One Show is great. But is getting boring now. Christine and Adrian always seem to be rude to the guests. For instance, if one guest is talking, they would interrupt and go to a different subject. I also think that Christine always uses a FAKE laugh, and it's ridiculous. Talk about something interesting! We don't need to know about about STARGAZY PIE! I think The One show needs to jazz up, and meet to it's expectations. Thank you.

• 2. At 7:22pm on 02 Feb 2009, SlammerUK09 wrote:

The subject of the £70 JP on the Gambling was a total waste of time. If the arcade owner that is struggling had bothered to goto the trade show this year, he would not have seen "innovative and new products" which he hopes to achieve from the JP increase.

Instead, he would have seen existing machines, reglassed (same game with new graphics) for the new JP.

The industry is in serious decline from many factors, including the fact that all games are disgustingly similar and the likelihood of putting in a £20 note for 1 or 2 boards maximum where you will be offered £3/£4 will no doubt put people off returning.

The games are repetitive, poorly programmed with little change year after year.

The industry has took the michael for a long long time and finally people have had enough and gone elsewhere for their fix. A £70 jackpot will NOT save the industry, nor should it deserve too.

I believe the saying is, you cannot have your cake and eat it?

I have made a considerable amount of money from the AWP sector over the years and do feel for those who are addicted, but hearing an arcade owner claim the failure of his sites is down to the limit of the £35 jackpot is entire nonsense (especially as they actually have £500 JP machines running on a seperate license).

This 5 minute section clearly showed to me from someone who works in this sector, that the show does not research the matters of which they are trying to bring to the publics attention - leaving me to ask the question, why bother?

• 3. At 7:24pm on 02 Feb 2009, glowingkatieh wrote:

Yes, exactly, the comment above this is correct! we don't need to know about gambling, choose important stuff, not rubbish!

• 4. At 7:24pm on 02 Feb 2009, debshough wrote:

I am a solicitor acting for lots of amusement arcades on the coast around the country and i am a bit suprised at the statistics offered on your show. The recent studies show that only 0.7% of people in the UK have a Gambling addiction, way below alcohol drugs and cigarettes. Before the Gambling Act 2005 came into force on 1 September 2007 an arcade opertator paid just £250 for a 3 year section 35 permit for his arcade and could operate unlimited jackpot machines. Since the introduction the new legislation arcade owners must now have an Operating Licence issued by the Gambling Commission at a cost of approx £1000 depending on the machines avaiable for use. They are alos required to pay an annual fee of approx £1000 again depending on the facilities available. On top of that they have to have a premises license for each aracde and the cost varies around the country with a maximum fee of £2000. Again there is an annual fee of up to £2000 depending on the local authority. Arcade owners are being driven out of business. They can now only offer 4 jackpot machines in each premises greatly reducing income. The increase in stakes/prizes will hopefully attract more business and help recoup costs. Operators are mindful of those with a gambling problem and in accordance with the requirements of the Gambling Act 2005 have put in place policies to protect the young and vulnerable including minimum 6 month exclusion policies. We have to protect our seaside industries.

• 5. At 7:26pm on 02 Feb 2009, glowingkatieh wrote:

Where's Christine? Anyone know?... BET ADRIAN'S MISSING HER! :P

• 6. At 7:35pm on 02 Feb 2009, msastria wrote:

I'm pleased with the report from Bletchley Park but think it's a shame that you didn't mention how desperate they are for funds to preserve this incredibly historic site. I, personally as an IT professional, am organising fundraisers for the benefit of Bletchley as, if it weren't for the work done there, I might not have a career at all!

Perhaps at some future point you could do a story about this?

• 7. At 02:21am on 03 Feb 2009, arcticsnowflake wrote:

What a relief it was to watch tonight's programme without Christine's raucous false cackle that occurs every few seconds. For once I did not have to adjust the sound on my set.
    As for Adrian Chiles... does he ever smile? He looked as if he was about to burst in to tears tonight when explaining why his Christine was absent.
    The BBC is so lacking in decent presenters on a Monday night.
    Thank God for Anne Robinson and the Weakest Link. Wish she could front a few more programmes.

• 8. At 07:10am on 03 Feb 2009, KernowKeith wrote:

I think The One Show is brilliant and think it should be a little longer. 1 hour would be too long but maybe 40 - 45 minutes!

• 9. At 07:56am on 03 Feb 2009, CairnTerrier wrote:

No Christine - every snow cloud does indeed have a silver lining.

• 10. At 10:26am on 03 Feb 2009, Little-Tyke wrote:

What is this I am hearing about BBC political correctness coming down hard on Carol Thatcher because of a chance remark she made in the Green Room? Sounds like a storm in a teacup, if you ask me. Maybe Adrian should get a grip and leave the nanny state to busybodies like Jacqui Smith.

• 11. At 10:44am on 03 Feb 2009, Birdbrain1948 wrote:

I thought how 'flat' the show on Feb 2nd seemed without the obviously rapport between Christine and Adrian. Christine held the show together effectively when Adrian was delayed earlier this year. Adrian didn't; I think he was miserable without her - and it showed!
    Come back Christine! Raucous sometimes - I agree, but much missed nevertheless.

• 12. At 11:41am on 03 Feb 2009, giovanni wrote:

I think we could all do without Adrian and Christine for all that they give to the programme. Without their roving reporters like Carol Thatcher, Gyles Brandeth, Lucy Seigel, Phil Tufnell and others the show is a waste of time ( probably with their salaries it is also a waste of money). The comments of Adrian are mainly infantile and the forced laugh or should I say cackle from Christine is most irritating. Bringing back Mylene Klass or Sawahla will certainly improve the quality.

• 13. At 2:12pm on 03 Feb 2009, spirt22 wrote:

WHY O WHY as carol been taken off the one show,for goodness ske what is this country coming too ..................................It was only a joke, can we not speake our minds anymore ....some of teh remarks that Adrian childs comes out with are so indignant that HE should be taken off A S A P

GET CAROL BACK NOW we pay the lience fees spirt 22

• 14. At 3:42pm on 03 Feb 2009, cleverrubicon wrote:

• 15. At 3:48pm on 03 Feb 2009, spirt22 wrote:

GET DAN SNOW AS THE MAIN PRESENTER ....NOT ADRIAN CHILDS

• 16. At 4:00pm on 03 Feb 2009, politicview wrote:

I always try to watch The One Show. However, since the person who reported Carol Thatcher for making a 'golly' comment in a private conversation and since it is yet another episode of PC blown out of all proportion, I don't think I want to see Adrian Chiles and his fellow presenters ever again. What a load of nonsense. Has the BBC gone mad?

• 17. At 4:04pm on 03 Feb 2009, politicview wrote:

In addition to my previous comment: Will the Song"Good Golly Miss Molly" ever be heard again?

• 18. At 4:48pm on 03 Feb 2009, lucadobe wrote:

What is the BBC thinking of? Any mention of the idiot that complained about her remarks ' Golliwog'...on thinking back that awful Jo Brand was sitting on the sofa with Carol and looking at her as if she had a bad smell up her nose..we all know Brand is staunch labour but i found her body language hard to swall ow

• 19. At 4:49pm on 03 Feb 2009, lifeAquarius wrote:

Do not remove Carol from the show. I like her excellent and interesting reporting. So down to earth.
    You should remove Adrian if he is the backstabber.
    You allow J.Ross to be on our screens after all the disgusting things he has done over the years. He should definately loose his job.
    What sort of people are running the BBC!

• 20. At 4:55pm on 03 Feb 2009, jo-pattie wrote:

I strongly object to the dropping of Carol Thatcher from The ONESHOW.
    If this was a private conversation,what has it to do with the BBC.

• 21. At 4:57pm on 03 Feb 2009, LucyyO_o wrote:

Woahhh?!
    I think you all need to get off the one shows back o_O
    I love it lol..Christines awesome..Adrian kinda reminds me of a sloth but there totally cool so its all good :) and its just a generally funny show.
    Harsh words on Christines laugh aswell btw..personally i think its hilarious.
    Some of the peeps on these blogs shud just enjoy the snowiness and..well..watch emmerdale if needs be :p
    Please dont hurt me serious bloggers :o
    :D :D :D :D :D :D

• 22. At 5:01pm on 03 Feb 2009, barryhawkes wrote:

I think the One show is very good,but as I always set up to record it I always miss the first two minutes,as the show always starts and finishes earlier than the advertised time.

• 23. At 5:05pm on 03 Feb 2009, AndyfromTonapandy wrote:

The show is okay. To dress up technicians and indeed presenters in strange costumes relating to the subject seems a bit odd and very luvvie to me. I miss desperately Myleen Klass who seems to have been ousted in the shows line-up but it beats having to watch neighbours and is very short. I think Adrian Childs can sometimes get a bit too big headed in some discussions. Perhaps younger presenters at this time of night may help give the show a bit of new energy

• 24. At 5:16pm on 03 Feb 2009, Brian Tomkinson wrote:

• 25. At 5:36pm on 03 Feb 2009, christinagodfrey wrote:

I have been an avid viewer of the one show, but I really cannot understand it's pc attitude regarding Carol Thatcher. It is obvious that she is not a racist and is an incredibly good personality to have on the show.

I would just ask the producer or whoever made the ridiculous decision to discontinue using her, to reconsider.

Come on BBC - you must realise it's the people who whisper in private that are the real racists, not a person of her age who grew up with this term and never ever considered it to mean a black person. What next - must we stop saying black sheep or perhaps we should ban the film "Planet of the Apes?"

• 26. At 6:30pm on 03 Feb 2009, Tom Davies wrote:

I do not care the reason very glad not to have Carol Thatcher on the programme

I very much enjoy the One show. I wont waffle on why. I watch because I like it .Why do the people who dont like it watch it or is it that they are people who are so boring they have to post comment because they have nothing better to do
    schoonertom

• 27. At 6:41pm on 03 Feb 2009, AndyfromTonapandy wrote:

Perhaps the BBC needs to change its name to the PCBBC. What a load of gobbldegook regarding Carol Thatcher saying the dreaded 'Gollywog' word. All these luvvies on TV just grab the spotlight when they can. Get childs and giggly girl Christine off there could be subversion afoot here I feel. Carol is just with all respect a 'dotty' type. My goodness ive said 'dotty' and 'goodness' is this PC I ask, quick get a moderator to check.

• 28. At 7:18pm on 03 Feb 2009, AndyfromTonapandy wrote:

• 29. At 7:34pm on 03 Feb 2009, thebrigadierx5 wrote:

(Couldn't find a link to an email address)
    Who was it from your team who compained about Carol Thatchers comment? Yet again PC gone mad! Then to escalate this to a major news story is crazy!!!!
    I am sure that it was not intended as an insult from this wonderful woman. As an avid watcher of the programme I am now banning it within my household!!
    This country is being over run by Tree Hugging, sandle wearing yoghurt knitters that take PC too far and you guys on the One Show Team have just joined them!!!!!

• 30. At 7:43pm on 03 Feb 2009, thebrigadierx5 wrote:

With reference to comment 28 above....
    I have to agree!!!
    What a shame that a show and people I so liked have turned out to be such a disappointment!!!

• 31. At 11:11pm on 03 Feb 2009, plainlyspeaking wrote:

I have enjoyed the show and watched it as often as possible, but no more. To discover how meanly Carol Thatcher has been treated is travesty. Who in the BBC sets themselves up as judge and jury over Carol's involvement with the show? Shame on you!

How can I ever again enjoy the show knowing it is put together and presented by such mean spirited, backstabbers full of self righteousness.

• 32. At 07:06am on 04 Feb 2009, politicview wrote:

To support Carol Thatcher I suggest subscribers click the 'complaints' button on this site and make your feelings known officially. It is not hard to do. If the BBC saw fit to keep Ross on TV and Radio for his obnoxious behaviour, then why have they banned Carol Thatcher for merely saying golliwog. If they remove Carol then they should in all honesty remove Ross, don't you agree? It smacks of very undesirable double standards in my view.

• 33. At 07:51am on 04 Feb 2009, georgina-orwell wrote:

vatch vat you say in ze green room - you are being vatched and your private conversations vill be reported to ze controller!

• 34. At 08:17am on 04 Feb 2009, fairyhairymary wrote:

• 35. At 08:30am on 04 Feb 2009, spirt22 wrote:

does CHILDS think by reporting poor carol that it is going to improve his career on TV ..the sooner the BBC get rid of this unsuitable presenter the better

Perhaps he found it difficult to understand what carol was talikng about ,with her intelligence way above his

As for christine ,does she think childs is going to help her further her career

I dont think so , Get rid of this awfull man now, and get carol back

BBC should be ashamed

• 36. At 08:44am on 04 Feb 2009, sparklingMargaret wrote:

Re the comments on Carol Thatcher:

This is not about personalities, privacy or snitching.

Thank you to The One Show, not just for having principles, but for recognising the importance of maintaining them.

• 37. At 08:48am on 04 Feb 2009, wendysee wrote:

I really enjoy the One Show but am appalled by Carol Thatcher being dropped because of a careless remark. I think that the BBC shows mind-blowing double standards when they allow Jonathan Ross to spout streams of filth at viewers and yet sack lovely Carol.

• 38. At 09:06am on 04 Feb 2009, ronaldstone wrote:

I really enjoy the program as a bit of light entertainment on a cold evening. BUT oh dear what is this about Carol Thatcher! To be honest I can take or leave the woman- too much family baggage Im afraid. However a remark in private using a word we grew up with our morning marmalade. Come on this is going too far. Get real will you, what ever happened to a quite word on the side? Try it sometime it really does work.

• 39. At 09:10am on 04 Feb 2009, Little-Tyke wrote:

No one likes a classroom snitch, just as no one likes a scab. The One Show will, sadly, never be the same again, but always tainted with the ugly whiff of political correctness. The presenters and guests who continue to be associated with the show will become tainted as well, unless they repudiate the BBC's vast overreaction over the sacking of Carol Thatcher.

• 40. At 09:22am on 04 Feb 2009, gtvideos wrote:

BRING BACK CAROL THATCHER
    CT made a mistake in the over politically correct bubble called the BBC (that we taxpayers fund) by likening someones hair to that banned children's doll, the Golliwog.
    Grow up BBC, she apologised for any offence, so move on, re-instate her, we love her straight talking.
    You would be better advised to sack the person who raised the complaint!

• 41. At 09:40am on 04 Feb 2009, janetmoisan wrote:

I am outraged that a private conversation Carol Thatcher had has got in to the public domain. As only Adrian Chiles and Jo Brand were there at the time it does not take much working out that one of them must have gone to the powers that be. We all say things in private that we wouldn't want repeated in public, even Adrian and Jo I should think!! Jonathan Ross is much more offensive in public but I suppose that OK in BBC land!!!

• 42. At 09:49am on 04 Feb 2009, corunna wrote:

I loved the One Show, but now feel I will not watch it again, very disappointed in Adrian Chiles. Surely a comment made in private, is exactly what it is, A COMMENT MADE IN PRIVATE. If it had been kept private then Carol Thatcher could have kept her job and the public would have been none the wiser, cant understand why Adrian or anyone else should complain. If it was said someone looked like a Barbie Doll would he have complained, personally I cant see any difference, it is part of life. The PC brigade in this country have far too much power.

• 43. At 09:57am on 04 Feb 2009, njduncan wrote:

Who's stupid decision was it to report Carol for her supposedly racist comment?It should be that silly person who should be severely reprimanded for bringing the BBC into disrepute.
    A full apology should be made to Carol and she should be re-instated immediately.

• 44. At 10:07am on 04 Feb 2009, giganticgobsmacked wrote:

Everything I would wish to say in support of Carol has already been said on this blog but Mr. A Chiles needs to grow up. If it's true that he reported this remark, someone should be having a word in his ear about his future prospects with the BBC if he can't tell the differance between a racist remark and points of interest in past history. That said, what are the BBC thinking about listening to such twodle. Two words, Mr. J. Ross.

• 45. At 10:12am on 04 Feb 2009, chingforde4 wrote:

fed up with adrian need to wear reading glasses or go nearer the auto cue.

and the one show should have Carol Thatcher back on it was aprivate conversation off air.

and If Johnathon Ross can get away with bad lanuage and other things why should Carol be banned from the one show

• 46. At 10:13am on 04 Feb 2009, Ian Robinson wrote:

While Carol Thatcher's comment was clearly wrong, it's disgraceful that she's been dropped from your show for a private conversation. Are people not allowed their own thoughts now? Surely the challenge from people in the room should have been enough without the story ending up in the newspapers? Get a grip.

• 47. At 10:17am on 04 Feb 2009, evenmoreannoyed wrote:

Oh what a joy on Monday to watch the show WITHOUT Christine Blakeley. You really do get very fed up with her fixed grin, overpowering laugh and constant interruptions of guests. It almost becomes "The Christine Blakeley Show" with her overshadowing guests. It is very evident sometimes how annoyed the guests are and they must wonder why they are on the show.

Also BBC come on bring back Carol Thatcher, what she said was off camera and the whole country is becoming too politically correct. When I was young we had Golliwogs on jars of jam and no-one was upset by this.

• 48. At 10:29am on 04 Feb 2009, chingforde4 wrote:

One more thing everyone should also send a complaint to the main BBC complaints section asking for them to let Carol back
    the link is:

• 49. At 10:32am on 04 Feb 2009, swafie wrote:

Thank you for giving me the reason to stop watching this irrelevant show. The contributors made the show watchable & enjoyable not Adrian or Christine (oh, that constant laughter). As for Chiles, he would have made Stasi proud.

• 50. At 10:36am on 04 Feb 2009, ekerswell wrote:

The one show i viewed for the first time last night thanks to the snow. What a waste of licence money .Surely the BBC programmers can find something better to show at 1900hr. Or look at its content
    As for Adrian Chiles he looks in adream its agood job that Christine holds the show together.

• 51. At 10:53am on 04 Feb 2009, Valsur wrote:

So Carol Thatcher has been dropped from the one show... and Johnathan Ross is still employed...
    Without the enthusiasm of Carol, Phil and Hardip the show would be a load of boring rubbish. As for Adrian Chiles he is a useless presenter, likes the sound of his own voice, has no personality or sense of humour but loves to constantly interrupt his guests. Once again the BBC has put their foot in it and proved to be a sexist narrow minded bunch of plonkers. If it was Adrian that told stories out of school he should be sacked for disloyality.

• 52. At 11:11am on 04 Feb 2009, johnguv wrote:

LONDON BUSES A POEM BY JOHN GRIMMETT
    Our buses once used to be our pride
    with the conductor shouting room for 2 inside
    Even running world war 1 in France
    Avoiding bombs and bullets taking a chance
    Even in the smogs of years gone by
    They never stopped for snow in the sky
    Perhaps they were built a little stronger
    To last that bit longer
    Whatever it must make us all think
    The British spirit is well and truly down the sink
    03/02/2009

• 53. At 11:17am on 04 Feb 2009, isla_grey wrote:

i think people here should calm down.

plus if you really don't like the presenters then watch something else!
    no one is making you.

• 54. At 11:53am on 04 Feb 2009, johnstoker wrote:

As Carol Thatcher's remarks were not broadcast and Jonathan Ross's were it seems amazing that she should be fired and he be allowed back after a mere suspension. Carol Thatcher wasn't the greatest broadcaster in the world but at least she had a personality. The show is now in the hands of the bland and we will now doubtless be treated to the usual inane questions from the hosts and the sight of guests who can't quite understand why they've been invited. Goodbye One Show I shan't be watching again. What a shame we still have to support you through the television license. After all which other television company would pay Chiles his ludicrous salary.

• 55. At 12:14pm on 04 Feb 2009, malcolmduncan wrote:

How disappointing that Carol Thatcher has been sacked from the show because of a humorous comment made in a private conversation, "off air". Jo Brand makes her living by being offensive to many and yet, unfortunately, she seems to be on the television more and more. It beggars belief that this comment upset the delicate sensitivities of such a foul mouthed woman. Her motive was most probably political.
    I prefer the feisty and interesting Carol Thatcher to the boring ego burdened Adrian Chiles. It's contributions like her's that are the reason I watch regularly. It could be said that I watch in spite of the narcissistic hosts and not because of them.
    What sort of thought police are now stalking the corridors of the BBC.
    Malcolm Duncan. East Yorkshire.

• 56. At 12:43pm on 04 Feb 2009, tallen15 wrote:

Hear! Hear! No point in repeating it all, its all been said above, but any organisation that lets Ross back doesn't deserve Carol Thatcher. Talk about inconsistancy! Ha! Get a life BBC! Replace Chiles ...much better idea! Agree with comments about him too.
    I am afraid you will, (with some justification) lose a lot of viewers ..not to say friends over this. You need to remember there are plenty of other channels and plent of other consumer programmes.

• 57. At 12:46pm on 04 Feb 2009, TaxedVoter wrote:

On Carol Thatcher's suspension, there are two matters I cannot fathom:
    1) Why someone felt obliged to report a private converstaion to Aunty, rather than discussing it as an adult with Miss Thatcher (or maybe that person couldn't get his/her own way and had nsome sort of tantrum?) and
    2) Why the BBC felt it necessary to take action on this private comment (although, if the BBC are an extension of our government, I can see why they want to control our private thoughts etc).
    Both the informant and the BBC have behaved childishly and without any mature thoughts as far as I can see.

• 58. At 12:54pm on 04 Feb 2009, fairyhairymary wrote:

Since the BBC thought police have now disabled comment on yesterday's show and seemingly deleted the dozens of pro-Carol Thatcher comments, let me say here:

I will NOT be watching the show until Carol is reinstated.

Adrian - hang your head in shame.

• 59. At 1:03pm on 04 Feb 2009, lifegaryholland wrote:

What a disgrace! Carole is not that sort of person and if she thinks he looks like a golly*** so what!? If Jonathan Ross can keep his job and not Carole then those at the BBC need to examine their morals and cut their hypocrisy.

I will NOT watch again until Carole returns

Gary H, Lechlade

• 60. At 1:31pm on 04 Feb 2009, spirt22 wrote:

Come on Childs stand up and be countedif you have the guts

Say on The One Show it was you who reported Carol

LETS HOPE THAT YOPUR CAREER GOES DOWN HILL QUICKLY

• 61. At 1:36pm on 04 Feb 2009, Bill MKnightc wrote:

If the newspaper reports are true, that adrian chiles is responsible for the sacking of Ms. Thatcher, then he should be ashamed. If she had a darker skin, then this would never have come to anybodys attention.
    How a shallow and spinless wimp is allowed to feel so self important beggars belief.
    Is this a culture within the bbc ?
    This is on a par when the two egotistical loosers on H.I.G.N.F.Y. conspired to get rid of the best presenter the show ever had.

Disgusted

Bill

• 62. At 1:42pm on 04 Feb 2009, JANEANTHONY wrote:

I have been an avid viewer of the programme since it started, and I have always been both informed and entertained by it.
    However, what is it coming to when a seemingly innocent comment made by Carol Thatcher, off camera and in private, by the way, should prompt her departure from the show.
    Who was it who blew the whistle on her? Who took it upon themselves to go to the media and get her sacked?
    Can people not say or do anything anymore, without fear of this kind of retribution?
    I hope that whoever it was is satisfied now, that the programme has lost, in my mind at least ,one it's best presenters.
    Carol's politics, or rather those of her mother, are not to my liking, but her quirky, easy going presentation skills, certainly are.
    She will be sorely missed in my opinion.
    I have never before complained in this way, but I feel so strongly about this type of "TRIAL BY MEDIA" mentality that is overtaking us, that I had no alternative but to say something.

Bring back Carol Thatcher!

• 63. At 1:44pm on 04 Feb 2009, PAULCOOKIE wrote:

JUST HAD TO SAY SOMETHING
    THE SHOW IS ENTERTAINING BUT THE BBC ONCE AGAIN HAVE SHOWN THAT THEY ARE OUT OF TOUCH WITH THE REST OF THE NATION
    TO SACK CAROL THATCHER FOR SAYING THE WORD GOLLYWOG IS ABSURD
    99.9 % OF THE FEE PAYING PUBLIC ARE SICK OF THE POMPAS ATTITUDE TAKEN BY THE CORPERATION
    THE PC BRIGADE HAS RUINED A PERFECTLY GOOD COUNTRY
    ITS ABOUT TIME PEOPLE IN CHARGE LISTENED TO THE MASSES

• 64. At 2:14pm on 04 Feb 2009, Trumpf wrote:

I doubt if Jo Brand would be offended by an off the cuff private remark so we have to assume that Chiles is the creep who went crying to the boss about "racist remarks".
    Come on, be a man for once and admit in public that you are the small minded sneak.

I will be watching for the last time tonight just in case you are more than the despicable creep we think you are.

• 65. At 2:36pm on 04 Feb 2009, spirt22 wrote:

• 66. At 2:40pm on 04 Feb 2009, jacanori wrote:

It is quite clear to me that Chiles had wanted Carol Thatcher off HIS programme for some time. His reaction to her filmed reports was always less than enthusiatic. I had always thought him a great natural presenter, but now I will never watch The One Show again. Nasty, snidey, back stabbing.
    I cannot agree that it was wrong for Carol to say what she said - are none of us safe to make remarks to our friends or associates without censure? I am really tired of people prefacing their support of Carol Thatcher with apologies to the PC contingent....it was really bad but...etc
    In China there used to be a person at the end of every street whose duty it was to report back to the authorities about their neighbours' attitudes and actions, and the poor neighbours would be re-educated.
    It is already happening here and our Police are now required to go round to people's houses and give them a good talking to about their attitudes. Or else they lose their jobs if they work for the BBC and are not called Ross.
    P.S. Christine Blakeley is really aggravating.

• 67. At 3:10pm on 04 Feb 2009, N01Darknemesis wrote:

• 68. At 4:18pm on 04 Feb 2009, gonzocolonel wrote:

We were all made aware of the recent severe weather warning yet Christine went home to Belfast last weekend and was unable to get a flight back to London on Monday. Her absence followed Chiles' recent 'no show' when he was delayed getting back from his holiday. Both times their absence was relayed to viewers in a 'poor them' manner when they should have been apologising profusely to the viewers for their absence. We pay their salary and they should not forget that they are expendable.
    I agree totally with the majority of viewers' comments re the Carol Thatcher fiasco. Shame on Adrian Chiles and the BBC.

• 69. At 4:40pm on 04 Feb 2009, foxyblog wrote:

I have just spent some time registering and finding where I can post my comment as I, like many others, it would appear, am outraged over the sacking of Carol Thatcher. I have always enjoyed The One Show but will not feel the same about it again. I particularly enjoyed Carol's input as she had such a unique style. She is well spoken,clear, punchy and very amusing. I understand Adrian Chiles,who often stumbles through his lines, was involved. If Jo Brand was the other person involved she frequently has a mouth like a sewer. Carol is far more talented than either of these. The whole incident is ridiculous. I had a "golly"as achild and collected the much prized badges from the jam company as did I'm sure Carol. At very least the person who reported the remark should come to the wicket. Jonathon Ross can offend time and again but still marches on.No doubt someone of Carol Thatcher's character will soon find other work but will BBC viewers still be able to enjoy her?
    BRING BACK C.THATCH.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 70. At 4:53pm on 04 Feb 2009, PorkieM wrote:

I personally think that Carol Thatcher is a talentless buffoon, and cannot understand why she appears on the show. But this business regarding the "gollywog" comment is really becoming quite pathetic. It was a stupid remark made off air during a private conversation, probably influenced by alcohol.

It is stated in some of today's newspapers that Adrian Chiles was said to have been "shocked and outraged" at the remark. What a precious little twerp! Why could he not keep his feelings to himself instead of bleating to anyone that would listen, thus dropping Ms. Thatcher even more deeply into the mire. I would have thought that he was above all of this nonsensical PC posturing.

• 71. At 7:30pm on 10 Feb 2009, mastercarpenter wrote:

For Jo Brand to say she could not listen to any more from Carol is a joke, she is ONE of the most foul mouthed people on T V who the BBC pay for with our money. Come off it Ms Brand ,it was obvious from your body language on the show that you did not even want to sit next to Carol on air. You
    and the useless fat Brummie got Carol the sack because she is who she is and the two of you are Ar-- licking labour lovers for some
    strange reason. I hope you are both satisfied now. It would be nice if you both told the public who was the low lying rat that blabbed it to the PC brigade called the BBC.

• 72. At 1:12pm on 12 Feb 2009, goodpoppet01 wrote: