What did you think of The One Show? Guest: Alan Shearer

The One Show Team | 14:12 UK time, Monday, 15 March 2010

Adrian and Christine were joined by Alan Shearer.

Alan is presenting the Sport Relief Mile from Cape Town, South Africa on the Mile Show on BBC One on Sunday 21st March.

More info about donating to Sport Relief. Look back at Christine's challenge here.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown has said a planned strike by British Airways (BA) cabin crew would be "unjustified and deplorable".

Is there still a place for a traditional national carrier like British Airways? Simon Calder looked at the issues.

David Lindo saw the red kites that have been re-introduced to the skies above Tyneside.

People in Springburn, Glasgow, are still reeling from the shock of the deaths of three asylum seekers. Shelley Jofre went to meet the residents of the Red Road estate where they lived; a high rise built four decades ago with high hopes.

And Lucy Siegle told us about colour standardisation, an unfamiliar but vital part of modern industry.

Also: The One Show website is changing, more info here.

What did you think of tonight's show? Add your comment.

Comments

• 1. At 6:31pm on 15 Mar 2010, Len West wrote:

If the beeb are paying, I'm more than willing to fly to Capetown, stay in a luxury hotel and run a mile for Sport Relief. In fact I'm up for any of the freebies that seem to be floating around.

Will we at sometime be shown the recipients of the money from this egotistical self promotional gravy train of so called celebrities?

• 2. At 6:39pm on 15 Mar 2010, Danedweller wrote:

#2 Oh Len, your sailing close to the wind. lol

I completely agree with your sentiments though.

• 3. At 6:42pm on 15 Mar 2010, bwoods30 wrote:

@1
    here here

• 4. At 6:51pm on 15 Mar 2010, flunklumpard wrote:

#1

The actual feats of say, swimming or skiing the channel are in reality tremendous physical accomplishments by the individuals concerned. However, the publicity given to them is always in danger of promoting the person rather than the cause.

I firmly believe in underplaying and over-delivering and wish the Beeb would do similar.

• 5. At 6:58pm on 15 Mar 2010, Danedweller wrote:

#1 totally agree

• 6. At 7:06pm on 15 Mar 2010, sxg123 wrote:

At last, a (former) footballer who is articulate and engaging. A dying breed.

• 7. At 7:07pm on 15 Mar 2010, sxg123 wrote:

#2 & #5 Danedweller

Are you upsetting oneshowblogadmin again?

• 8. At 7:07pm on 15 Mar 2010, flunklumpard wrote:

#5 Danedweller

You are having a struggle tonight!!

• 9. At 7:08pm on 15 Mar 2010, GAZ911 wrote:

Re 6 Yes Alan Shearers a legend

• 10. At 7:13pm on 15 Mar 2010, bwoods30 wrote:

oh god they are still patting their own back

• 11. At 7:13pm on 15 Mar 2010, sxg123 wrote:

The mindless strike action by BA cabin crew beggars belief. What on earth do they hope to achieve? The demise of BA?

They are the best remunerated crew among major airlines and it is a simple economic fact that their pay and conditions, which date back to a different era, are unsustainable in today's market conditions.

I imagine, like the postal workers, most of them don't even know what they are striking for. Certainly, before Christmas, they didn't know they were voting for a potentially disastrous 12 day stoppage over the holiday period. Tony Woodley espouses union dogma that comes straight from the 70s and 80s.

By all accounts, the cabin crew are making themselves unpopular with their colleagues in other parts of BA who have already embraced change and accepted new conditions, pay freezes/cuts etc.

• 12. At 7:14pm on 15 Mar 2010, GAZ911 wrote:

A body language expert would have a field day AC & CB

• 13. At 7:15pm on 15 Mar 2010, Gloucesterman wrote:

Having watched the internationals over the weekend can you please ask Alan why football players feel so much pain..???

Gloucesterman

• 14. At 7:15pm on 15 Mar 2010, sxg123 wrote:

Those of us who hoped for an end to the self-serving promotion of Sport Relief activites are clearly going to be disappointed.

• 15. At 7:15pm on 15 Mar 2010, bwoods30 wrote:

Its not the cabin crew sxg123 its the union, its all very political and just before an election.

• 16. At 7:18pm on 15 Mar 2010, sxg123 wrote:

#15 bwoods30

I would agree with you had I not seen the unbecoming jubilation by the assembled cabin crew when the first strike vote was announced.

Surely they can think for themselves and realise that their actions can only be counter-productive.

• 17. At 7:20pm on 15 Mar 2010, bwoods30 wrote:

Yes but the union lied and did not tell the cabin crew what they were taking on.

• 18. At 7:22pm on 15 Mar 2010, sally wrote:

Refering to the item on red kytes. my partner saw one at Bournemouth airport the other week

• 19. At 7:28pm on 15 Mar 2010, erika lucas wrote:

With regard to tonights one show report on the asylum seekers who jumped to their death in Glasgow. What a biased and inaccurate report. (But then that is what we expect from the BBC).
    It is well documented that the man who jumped to his death was NOT an asylum seeker. Indeed, he had already been granted asylum in Canada.

• 20. At 7:28pm on 15 Mar 2010, sxg123 wrote:

#17 bwoods30

Are they thinking people or sheep?

• 21. At 7:31pm on 15 Mar 2010, flunklumpard wrote:

sxg123 #14

You've got a lot more to come this weekend. 3hrs of Lineker & CB but several reruns, I have no doubt. But fair enough, she has raised afew quid.

Gaz911 #12

What do you reckon an body language expert would say?

• 22. At 7:31pm on 15 Mar 2010, bwoods30 wrote:

You can never trust the union, I'm afraid the people at the top want to do something drastic with B.A.

• 23. At 7:35pm on 15 Mar 2010, Len West wrote:

# 20 - I expect they're ex British Leyland, coal mining, postmen......collectively known as dodos!!!

• 24. At 7:35pm on 15 Mar 2010, Frankie40 wrote:

I'm afriad I disagree that traffic lights green is always the same. For about three years now, the new lights have been coloured turquoise and not proper green. I even wrote to someone in the Surrey area asking what I was supposed to teach my granddaughter since the colour in a lot of places is certainly NOT GREEN!!

Frankie40

• 25. At 7:35pm on 15 Mar 2010, Ried wrote:

I totally agree with the two Glaswegians regarding immigrants. The guest said that a lot of these people are persecuted and tortured. What about the poor guy last week who died after being constantly "persecuted" and "tortured" by teenage thugs? It happens to us too but we have to deal with it.

• 26. At 7:36pm on 15 Mar 2010, tyroneshoelaces wrote:

#20 sxg123

Can't understand why they are striking on the number of cabin crew or the reduction thereof, because BA are only going down to the legal CAA minimum anyway. Cleary they were overcrewed and I can't see how they can justify a strike on that basis.

• 27. At 7:38pm on 15 Mar 2010, Jim Butterworth wrote:

As always, interesting and informal.

Colour standards relating to traffic signals - my wife, and myself to a lesser extent, see the green of the new LED traffic lights as veering off into the blue spectrum - especially wehn viewed at an angle. So colours may not be as standardised as the programme suggested.

Good programme though.

• 28. At 7:38pm on 15 Mar 2010, richiesafc1972 wrote:

• 29. At 7:40pm on 15 Mar 2010, Ried wrote:

The BA staff and the unions are being a bit stupid really. BA want to bring in all the changes to save money, right? BA staff and the unions don't want the changes so they decide to strike. Will these strikes not lose BA a lot of money? Not really helping the cause then are they? Sack them all, there's plenty of unemployed people would be please for a job. After all, most people are having to go through redundancy and pay freezes or pay cuts - welcome the real world BA staff!

• 30. At 7:41pm on 15 Mar 2010, bwoods30 wrote:

I think B.A have found some Polish who will do the job cheap and sleep in hangers.

• 31. At 7:43pm on 15 Mar 2010, sxg123 wrote:

#29 Ried

Hopefully, there will be a member of BA cabin crew reading this blog who will be able to enlighten us.

• 32. At 7:43pm on 15 Mar 2010, GAZ911 wrote:

re 21 I've no idea Flunk what they'd say.I just find it funny how the body language between 2 of them changes so much from day to day.

• 33. At 7:44pm on 15 Mar 2010, bwoods30 wrote:

@reid

I dont see many managers or directors getting fired or on a pay freeze

• 34. At 7:48pm on 15 Mar 2010, Len West wrote:

30# Don't they have beds in Poland? My hangers are usually in the wardrobe!!!

• 35. At 7:49pm on 15 Mar 2010, tyroneshoelaces wrote:

Yes, Shearer is a good guest, but I'm sure his journey to S.A. on behalf of this charity will be in comfort as he'll not be in steerage, that's for sure. Notice CB is flashing the bling tonight and hope FL is going to stick a couple of weeks wages into the charity coffers to get it up to the million for her.

TOS, your girl did well, now go easy on us.

• 36. At 7:53pm on 15 Mar 2010, flunklumpard wrote:

#32 Gaz911

Yes, it is fascinating, but all the sniping apart, I do think that they are probably genuinely good mates.

• 37. At 7:54pm on 15 Mar 2010, bwoods30 wrote:

@34
    No there are no beds in Poland they have all been moved to UK! that's why UK is being renamed United Poland

• 38. At 7:54pm on 15 Mar 2010, sxg123 wrote:

#34 Len West

Nice one! I love the typos and grammos in this blog.

• 39. At 7:58pm on 15 Mar 2010, flunklumpard wrote:

38&34

Well spotted!

• 40. At 8:15pm on 15 Mar 2010, bwoods30 wrote:

@len west

your an ass

• 41. At 8:24pm on 15 Mar 2010, Len West wrote:

#40 .. that's not nice .. but 'your' in this context should be 'you're' ... should have given up whilst you were winning!!!

• 42. At 8:27pm on 15 Mar 2010, Danedweller wrote:

Hopefully we are getting back to normal with Lucy Siegle back on screen tonight and other items of interest.

• 43. At 8:32pm on 15 Mar 2010, flunklumpard wrote:

40 & 41

Now, now girls!

• 44. At 8:40pm on 15 Mar 2010, bwoods30 wrote:

• 45. At 8:43pm on 15 Mar 2010, sxg123 wrote:

And there was me thinking it was all going so well tonight...

• 46. At 8:44pm on 15 Mar 2010, bwoods30 wrote:

• 47. At 8:50pm on 15 Mar 2010, flunklumpard wrote:

45 sxg123

Yes, back on topic.

I loved Christines ring. Please tell me where she got it.

• 48. At 8:52pm on 15 Mar 2010, flunklumpard wrote:

Oops! that should have been "Christine's ring"

• 49. At 9:28pm on 15 Mar 2010, Phil in Manchester wrote:

I have to agree with a lot of other commentators on your website tonight. Although valuable donations have been received by Sport Relief as a result of Christine Bleakley’s water-skiing challenge – which is obviously a good thing – personally, I’m now fed up with the amount of media coverage this event has gained for Miss Bleakley. It could now be argued that she’s done better out of this than Sport Relief!
    Another point about this evening’s programme. I was concerned about the lack of editorial balance in the report on the asylum seekers in the run down Springburn area of Glasgow. Of course, everyone was shocked and saddened by the tragic death of the three people who died, but I thought Shelley Jofre’s report was heavily biased and – it could be argued – strayed dangerously into a very sensitive political minefield. A dangerous minefield too, so close to a general election. Although, this is not new from the leftist BBC with its usual subliminal socialist messages. The asylum seekers who complain about their conditions here should be grateful they have the money, benefits and support they do have. It’s a lot more than they would get in their own countries. It is wrong for the BBC to imply that these immigrants are some how being unfairly treated by the British people and the UK immigration authorities. If these people are found to have a genuine case to say in the UK, is perfectly right that they should be allowed to stay. However, If they don’t, then they will be extradited – and that is the rule of law. We are ruled by British law – not the law laid down by ‘The One Show’ - or the BBC come to that!

• 50. At 9:31pm on 15 Mar 2010, Len West wrote:

#46 .. temper, temper

• 51. At 9:46pm on 15 Mar 2010, Len West wrote:

# 44 and #46 ...On my life .. nothing to do with me.

• 52. At 9:54pm on 15 Mar 2010, bwoods30 wrote:

Sorry if my grammar is poor and I may come across as being a bit thick, but my name is Mark Thompson and I only earn £664,000 a year and can't afford a descent education, please help me and pay £145 a year to help my terrible deprived life.

• 53. At 10:09pm on 15 Mar 2010, sky_viewer wrote:

Re 24 & 27: turquoise lights - yes, first thing I thought of as well when Lucy made her standardization claim at the start of the piece. They've been around for a few years.

• 54. At 10:18pm on 15 Mar 2010, Len West wrote:

#52..Is this one of those Nigerian phishing scams?

• 55. At 10:21pm on 15 Mar 2010, bwoods30 wrote:

No its a BBC phishing scam!! or should that be fishing god now I'm paranoid!!! where is my pills?

• 56. At 10:22pm on 15 Mar 2010, watchingone wrote:

21 flunk - my radio times (other tv listings magazines are available) shows that presenters of Sport Relief change throughout the evening, as they usually do on these marathon events, so you wont be forced to watch 3 hours of Christine and Lineker. More like an hour or so probably.
    And I guess that is when you will see films about the recipients of the cash raised, to keep Len West happy (1).
    For those of you working or otherwise engaged tomorrow, if you have video recorders, or hard drives or whatever, prepare to set them now for Blue Peter on Tuesday and Wednesday to watch Helen Skelton kayaking.
    Finally,to Mr Shearer, I think you should have worn the shirt of hurt.
    Well done to everyone who has donated to Christine's challenge, an amazing total so far.

• 57. At 10:23pm on 15 Mar 2010, bwoods30 wrote:

oh sorry "where ARE my pills" HELP!!!!

• 58. At 10:27pm on 15 Mar 2010, Len West wrote:

#56 .. so it's not definite then?

• 59. At 10:53pm on 15 Mar 2010, flunklumpard wrote:

56 Watchingone

Delighted to see that Helen's effort is being shown and I don't detract from Christines either, but there are many people complaining about the overdoing, publicity wise, of CB's effort as opposed to Helens. She is after all only a TV presenter who took on a challenge and yes, I would have taken it up had I been offered the deal. I am however just a hard working licence payer and the Beeb are unlikely to spend tens of thousands on me.Believe me CB's build up & traing et al cost a great deal. Read 49 PhilinManchester - we can't all be wrong and many say the same. Friday evening will be too much for me and I'm off to the Funky Buddha.

• 60. At 11:07pm on 15 Mar 2010, tyroneshoelaces wrote:

#49 Phil

Totally agree with you on the asylum debate.

This economy is struggling to the pay pensions these days, quite why we should be expected to the worlds biggest charity organization is beyond me.

Many so called asylum seekers are in fact economic refugees - like those presently in Calais.

• 61. At 11:43am on 16 Mar 2010, aimsco wrote:

Ruthlessly and expensively ambitious

• 62. At 12:22pm on 16 Mar 2010, Phil in Manchester wrote:

I see you haven't used the comment I sent you regarding last night's 'The One Show'. Too close to the truth, I guess?

• 63. At 12:52pm on 16 Mar 2010, P wrote:

The feature on ayslum seekers was ridiculous.

Yes, it was sad that the 3 people died in Glasgow. What needs to be asked is why were these people claiming asylum here when, not only had they passed through safe countrie to be here, but had been given permission to live in Canada?

As for the Iranian who had been here 9 YEARS: he says that if he could, he would go home. So why is he eeking out the process by appeals, etc, for so long? If he is willing ot return home, it is not that dangerou for him there, so why is he claiming asylum here?

• 64. At 1:10pm on 16 Mar 2010, marie wrote:

I have never written in to a show before to comment but felt I had to. The colour standardisation article last night was ridiculous. Whilst completely accurate, the underlying premise that we are all surprised that all Cadbury wrappers are the same purple is beyond belief.

Do you think that all The One Show viewers think that Cadbury say to their wrapper manufacturers - 'make it purple, your choice and it doesn't matter if each one is different' OR does any reasonably intelligent person realise that they are given a specific colour to print?

Rather than being shocked that 'all red lights are the same red', I would have been staggered if they weren't. I have never watched an article which I have felt so strongly was simply made to fill some time and told us absolutely nothing that we didn't all know already.

If the article had been about the impact of branding and brand identity, which it touched upon, then perhaps it would have had some credibility but sadly this was not the case.

This was not up to The One Show's usual high standard.

• 65. At 1:53pm on 16 Mar 2010, flunklumpard wrote:

62 Philin manchester

Your comment did go up at number 49 - perhaps you haven't refreshed the page.

• 66. At 2:12pm on 16 Mar 2010, Daneland wrote:

Informative item on the Red Kites.

• 67. At 4:28pm on 16 Mar 2010, flunklumpard wrote:

Dear me, now she's at number 10. Shame Gordon Brown wouldn't put as much effort into running the country as he does to slavering over 'celebs'.

• 68. At 4:35pm on 16 Mar 2010, dutchblog wrote:

Reasonable showing, only really touched on the subject matter of “colour” – there is very much more. Interesting about the red kites, Alan Shearer a very decent guest (top footballer in his day) However, best part – AC in a wonderful Wolves top! Worth the viewing just to catch a glimpse of this.
    WW

Next is Brendan Gleeson - top job for his 2009 portrayal of Winston Churchill Into the Storm.

• 69. At 4:53pm on 16 Mar 2010, tyroneshoelaces wrote:

68 dutchblog

Are you with Saatchi & Saatchi. Excellent advertising campaign!

• 70. At 5:33pm on 16 Mar 2010, dutchblog wrote:

# 69 tyroneshoelaces
    Saatchi & Saatchi = The Lovemarks Company……………….. sadly not!

• 71. At 5:53pm on 16 Mar 2010, callyfragilistic wrote:

My Gravy! Did someone actually get paid for designing those raspberry ripple and muesli football shirts?! I reckon that footie shirt design's golden age must have been in the 60s-70s season, epitomised by the 1970 Leeds Utd shirt. Plain white all over - a virgin (ooer)canvas awaiting the onslaught of mud (real mud) before an early bath. Not a primadonna in site, just ducking, dodging, weaving and dribbling (google it).

Ah yes. The future is retro. Just think, if shirts returned to a plain, instantly recognisable colour, instead of being changed several times a season (home and away) then going to see a match might be a more affordable real-life experience. Dads could afford to buy their sons the latest shirt that will never go out of fashion so he won't get ribbed by his mates. Mates whose Dads can afford the latest pair of stoopid trainers with however many spots it takes to look, rather than be, cool 'these' days. And laddo might be bought another away team rosette for his collection and get to give his rattle an airing!! (Ignore the last bit - I gather it's a bit un-Pure Codswallop or is it the elf'n'safety brigade?)

Well. anyway. Bit of a rant, but if more kids were afforded the luxury of seeing a match live, as an event, and taste the merd, sorry mud, it might get in the blood for their future endeavours of participating in future World Cups. You never know, lads might be allowed onto the pitch at full-time, to dash across the field of play, becoming part of it for the day, and securing a relished treasure (long day) - the actual signature of Chilesy when he played for Chelsea!

Then there could be the return of the baggy bloomers - I can see those Brummie eyes welling up right now . . .

• 72. At 8:12pm on 17 Mar 2010, P wrote:

West Bromwich is not Birmingham, for all of your 'intellectualisation'.

• 73. At 12:52pm on 23 Mar 2010, Len West wrote: