Dyslexia: More information

The One Show Team | 14:19 UK time, Tuesday, 19 January 2010

In order to see this content you need to have both Javascript enabled and Flash installed. Visit BBC Webwise for full instructions. If you're reading via RSS, you'll need to visit the blog to access this content.

Tonight, Dr Sarah Jarvis looked into dyslexia.

It's thought that dyslexia can affect up to one in ten of the UK population. However, the condition is not an obstacle to greatness with the likes of Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill and Leonardo Da Vinci all thought to have experienced it.

Dyslexia is notoriously difficult to diagnose so it is best to seek medical help or speak to a specialist if you suspect that someone you know has the condition.

Information on symptoms, causes and treatments of Dyslexia:

Other useful links and sources of help:

Did dyslexia in your family go undiagnosed? Share your experiences here.

Comments

• 1. At 7:16pm on 19 Jan 2010, Alissa wrote:

I'm so glad that they are testing 6 year olds for dyslexia now. I have dyslexia myself and didn't get tested for it till i was 13, i was always known as 'the child that is intolerant to learn'. I don't want any other child to go through what i had too throughout my school life. To know that i was behind on my reading/spelling age was bad enough but not getting any help with it till i was in my last year of school was worse. I'm glad that schools have finally got their act together and helping.

• 2. At 7:18pm on 19 Jan 2010, brenda wrote:

i spent every parents night at my sons primary school asking if the thought he could have dyslexia. i was told NO and that he was just plain lazy!!!!! every jotter had sad faces all over them, drawn by the teachers!!
    he was in high school 3 weeks and i was alerted that they thought something wasnt quite right, he was diagnosed with dyslexia and i am happy to say that he is now receiving the help he needs and is now happy going to school.
    i think teachers need to be taught more about the condition, i am not a teacher and i knew my son was dyslexic since primary 3.

• 3. At 7:22pm on 19 Jan 2010, BushBabie wrote:

Alot of focus is on dyslexia in kids, we dont grow out of it and the adults in work place my not be as understood as they could be. With the wrong assuptions being made on how dyslexia affects people in the work place. There is government support for the workplace Through "Access to Work", I have used this at work.And some great websites too

I am still shocked tht it is not standard to screen all kids for dyslexia.

Also its not just about spelling and reading, poor memory can effect every day life! lol sieve for brain me can have to go back into the house 4 times to get things i have forgetten to take for work! I leave things by the front door to trip over them to hopefully remember to take!

• 4. At 7:22pm on 19 Jan 2010, toni wrote:

My daughter is 10. She has severe reading and maths issues. She had a dyslexia screening test only because I applied for a stautory assessment. I was unsupported by the school and LEA. It turns out her score puts her hightly at risk, yet still the LEA and the specialist teacher who tested my daughter will NOT state she is dyslexic. This condition is not recognised by many people. I have discovered that no one will say for definite that dyslexia exists. My daugther has been failed all her life. From an early age about 14 months I went to the doctor because she could not speak, she had mild expressive and receptive delay, she could and still cannot say nursery ryhmes. She cannot tie laces, gets her left, right, up, down mixed up. When will this government recognise that if we fail our children now, they become dependent on the state for the rest of their life. Get it right now. Currently, I am now in a tribunal situation to get my daugther into a specific learning difficulty school, but this is an extremely stressful, expensive and exhaustive process.

• 5. At 7:31pm on 19 Jan 2010, BushBabie wrote:

reply to Toni
    This sounds alot like me as kid, i didnt learn to walk as toddler till later than most, and talking too, writing and reading was also very late. My mum battled to get me tested in primary school who were dyslexic skeptics! I got tested at 13. I also had to fight to get support in college and at work. Keep battleing and jion your local dyslexic support group.

• 6. At 7:35pm on 19 Jan 2010, Steve wrote:

I agree with the British Psychological Society's definition of dyslexia: "Dyslexia is evident when accurate and fluent word reading and/or spelling develops incompletely or with great difficulty. This focuses on literacy at the 'word level' and implies that the problem is severe and persistent despite appropriate learning opportunities. It provides the basis of a staged process of assessment through teaching." (British Psychological Society 1999)

This has, I gather, been accepted in court cases.

• 7. At 7:42pm on 19 Jan 2010, pauline wrote:

i THINK MY 12YR OLD SON IS DYSLEXIC BUT I CANT SEEM TO GET ANY SENSE OUT OF HIS SCHOOL, IT DRIVES YOU MAD YOU WANT TO HELP YOUR CHILD BUT CANT GET IT. IT SHOULDNT BE THAT HARD.

• 8. At 7:43pm on 19 Jan 2010, Stephen Webber wrote:

I'm Dyslexic, Found out when I was 35.
    I was born in Merthyr Tydfil south wales and educated at Afon Taf high school where my dyslexia was not diagnosed.
    I now live in West Meath Ireland.
    I have developed a new way of printing which should improve reading for dyslexic children, without the aid of colored glasses.
    Could you forward me a recognized body for the treatment of dyslexics, so I can share my idea.

• 9. At 7:44pm on 19 Jan 2010, christine wrote:

Dyslexia is a difficult condition for many people to understand. Thank fully in the past years more information has become accessible for professionals in all areas of work and the general public. But still there is discrimination and people are unable to comprehend the difficulties posed for people with dyslexia in day-to-day life.
    I have dyslexia and was diagnosed at 23, on my first week in university I have always been aware how much I have struggled with my work and I thought I was stupid. Through reading more about dyslexia I realised I probably had it so when I was diagnosed as having moderate dyslexia everything made sense.
    I have an underlying health condition and dyslexia is associated with it, numerous times my parents had asked for me to be tested in school and nothing was done my parents were told I was slow. but the educational system seems more aware that it is an educational condition and a child who has it does require extra support

• 10. At 7:52pm on 19 Jan 2010, Alissa wrote:

Replay to Pauline.
    Go to your sons head teacher. My mum did it for me and almost spoke to him everyday to get sense out of him. do not give up, you just need to think of your son. Teachers don't seem to do much when it comes to a student in mainstream school finds something hard, i know this all too well. But just keep on they will in the end get fed up and do something. You don't want him to get down because he can't keep up with his friends, just don't give up.

• 11. At 7:57pm on 19 Jan 2010, paulcottingham wrote:

• 12. At 8:07pm on 19 Jan 2010, richrad wrote:

Just give this lady more airtime as this seems such a worthy cause. Much more important than Trinny.

• 13. At 8:38pm on 19 Jan 2010, Hazeleva wrote:

I am constantly shocked by the fact that the majority of schools still appear to be grossly negligent when it comes to suspecting that a child may be dyslexic. I qualified as a junior school teacher in 1965 at Stranmillis University College Belfast. We were trained to look out for signs of dyslexia and autism and, if we suspected that symptoms were present, we referred such cases to the Educational Psychologist for further tests. I taught in the primary school system until 1975 and referred several children with signs of dyslexia and 2 with signs of autism. The results were positive. GET A MOVE ON, THAT WAS 40 YEARS AGO!!

• 14. At 8:40pm on 19 Jan 2010, Victoria Ray Gilbert wrote:

Please can the show do a report on number dyslexia and the signs of it?

• 15. At 9:01pm on 19 Jan 2010, elaine wrote:

i am currently going through this proble with my 6 year old . Our primary school spotted a learning problem from reception. However getting the help from the education authourities is a different matter. I have seen doctors galore!!!! My son is a whole year behind already it's time they tested him for dyslexia but it is always down to money again. Still on the case I will never stop pushing.

• 16. At 9:25pm on 19 Jan 2010, Dorothy Davison wrote:

things have not moved on,I found spellings a nightmare at school and reading difficult- I only found out I was dyslexic when my sons were diagnosed at 7years old. The LEA just did not want to know, the director of education at the time told me, I would only get help if they became violent! I fought for statements, to the nearly point of taking the LEA to court. We had to move our sons to private school to get the small classes that would help them, we paid for special support from the DI, the cost was huge. But I am pleased we did it,no money in debt, but both sons working successfully. these special children need help but i feel will never get it.

• 17. At 9:41pm on 19 Jan 2010, p curtis wrote:

My daughter is also 10 years old and we have been trying to get her formally assessed for Dyslexia and Dyscalulia (number dyslexia) for the last eighteen months. Neither the school or the LEA have any interest and we are continually fighting for her. She is now 4 yrs behind with her maths and english. The education system in this country is in a very poor state and we have the labour government to thank. Schools should be able to pick up on Dyslexia and Dyscalculia at an early stage, instead because they don't know about or understand either, they brush it under the school rug. It stinks and it's our children who suffer.

• 18. At 9:52pm on 19 Jan 2010, Bonnie wrote:

I was pleased to see The One Show raising awareness about Dyslexia - I work in Education, promoting Inclusion within schools and although more needs to be done, there are positive steps being taken. For example, The Rose Review has made several recommendations to increase the level of support to Dyslexic learners in schools, in particular training 4000 specialist teachers in dyslexia over the next two years. The British Dyslexia Association has a useful summary of the report here:

You can also download the full report following the same link.

• 19. At 10:19pm on 19 Jan 2010, helen wrote:

I have a son age 7 and a daughter aged 9 both have difficulties which seem to be dyslexia, I have suggest to the school, getting the school to help with both my children's difficulties is a constant battle, even with help from language and learning the SENCO can not seem to put a plan in place for either of my children this is a daily battle I have been having with the school for the last 4years. I am aware early intervention is best for the children and any information on how I can get the school to help deal with this difficult or if they is anyone who could help I would be grateful.

• 20. At 10:59pm on 19 Jan 2010, Sue Cawood wrote:

I knew from an early age that something was not quite right with my daughter's reading. Senco at school said i WAS worrying unnecessarily - I took my daughter to the neaarest Dyslexic Institute who, after a very short assessment agreed that she was dyslexic. When our new headteacher came to school with in the next year he introduced us to a lady who knew a lot about Dyslexia, in fact she co-wrote Beat Dyslexia, which I did with my daughter at an out of school learning group. The lady was the local diagnostician in 'Irlen Syndrome' (scotopic sensitivity) basically a sensitivity to light i.e. black print on white paper. I had my daughter screened - she has Irlen Syndrome and now wears blue lenses in her glasses. This is not an optical problem but brain difficulty. Quite a few children deemed to be dyslexic are, in fact sufferers of scotopic sensitivity. My daughter has both, but with the right attitude from teachers, perseverance and support from parents, there is hope. My daughter is now 21years of age is at Carlisle Univeristy training to be a ceramicist. She is brilliant at it - I am extremely proud of her.

Look at all the actors/actresses and many people who work in the "practical" world - not everyone has to be an academic. Everyone and anyone can be who they want to be with a little perseverance. However, early intervention is not a bad thing and it's about time teachers and the people who fund schools!!!!!!!! gave all youngsters the opportunity to be screened early.

Sue Cawood - West Yorkshire.

• 21. At 11:00pm on 19 Jan 2010, Martin Toon wrote:

Hi One Show
    I felt the need to contact you in regard to Dyslexia (or also known as lixdexia in my world). I am now 52 years old and have suffered with this condition all my life. Through my school years this was never noticed, due to lack of knowledge and my ability to cover up. If you scribble the teachers only asked what you had written, or just put you down as lazy (then you become what people think you are another thick brummie).
    Thankfully I had the desire to achieve more for myself than a lazy life.
    I went on to achieve a Motor Vehicle technical background and became a member of The Institute of Motor Industries, thus having letters after my name.
    I have never been diagnosed but sometimes you just know…
    The other thing I have is colour blindness, which in some quarters has a bearing on dyslexia, but no definite link.
    Many thanks for the show & best wishes

Ps this was written & spell checked before posting :-)

• 22. At 11:25am on 20 Jan 2010, naad123 wrote:

The battles start when you leave school. As there is no support to help you. I suffer from dyslexia have told my employer and still they don’t get it they seem to think that by using a computer to write reports the condition will go away. You cant take a pill and cure it. it is part of who you are. Employers should look at the benefits you bring to the organisation the ability to see things in a different way

• 23. At 11:32am on 20 Jan 2010, lobster12 wrote:

Thank you for discussing Dyslexia-a subject very close to my heart. With the nation constantly being told by Politicians a high percentage of 11 year olds are leaving primary school with poor literary skills why is screening/testing not being put in place in primary schools? My son's life was a misery at primary school, despite huge support from his the school. It took years for the LEA to agree to assess him nevermind statement him and that was after endless letters, meetings and 2 tribunals which didn't come to fruition as the LEA realised the severity of his learning difficulties. I cannot begin to tell you the upset, frustration and anguish this caused our family and ultimately punishing our son when he was already at an all time low. Three years on and thankfully he is in the right place with the right help, great, understanding teachers and doing well.

• 24. At 1:43pm on 20 Jan 2010, andream wrote:

Thank you for this article. As a child I struggled with both spelling and reading. I created my own coping strategies, which allowed me to reach degree level. At college a lecturer suggested I might have dyslexia. Working now in an area where often I witness children, young people and adults struggling with dyslexia, it feels the education system is still failing them. I wonder if either teachers don't believe or are unable to comprehend this particular condition. Sadly it maybe that they are just too busy filling the endless forms our country requires of them. I hope soon that no child needs to struggle alone with this.

• 25. At 4:37pm on 20 Jan 2010, paulinehuddlestone wrote:

Your feature on dyslexia touched on a very interesting and important topic. It's such a shame that the Dyslexia Research Trust was not given more air time to explain who they are, where they are and how they can help. So many people with dyslexia struggle to cope with their disability and information on treatment is hard to get. Please let's have a whole evening on this topic. P.Huddlestone

• 26. At 9:56pm on 20 Jan 2010, Bob hext wrote:

Great to see the value of reading through colour promoted on the One Show. I work in Special Education and have a strong interest in this field. The Dyslexia Research Trust is based in Oxford, but there is some very substantial research from Essex University that shows that it's not only blue and yellow that can benefit, but actually a whole range of colours - of which blue and yellow are certainly the most common. Interestingly enough the little boy reading through a tinted reading ruler (a form of coloured reading overlay that changes the background colour of the area of the page he is reading) is using pink, and another child in the class was using a green one! There is no doubt that tinted glasses are very helpful - but will that little girl still want to wear them when she is 14? Probably not. The little reading rulers are much more discreet, and are used by dyslexic readers and visual stress sufferers of all ages. This is the sort of intervention the government needs to invest in: they're cheap, easy to use, and change lives.

• 27. At 09:26am on 21 Jan 2010, Catherine Goodwin wrote:

Thank you for the article and for raising awareness of the very complex issues associated with Dyslexia. We run a dyslexia centre in Lancashire (and centres across the country and beyond) for the Education charity CENTRA. We use, and have recently acquired, an excellent, highly effective specialist software programme that raises reading and spelling levels: CENTRA IDL.

Nearly all our students have a moving story to tell - both adults and children - to do with how badly their wellbeing and happiness has been affected by their dyslexia. Some individuals have more complex conditions, for example ADHD combined with dyslexia.

Many have had difficult paths through the education system, often battling for assessments and diagnoses, and even after diagnosis by Educational Psychologists and docotrs, they have not been given effective support. This has had a profound effect on stress-levels, confidence, happiness and health.

• 28. At 6:35pm on 21 Jan 2010, Rosie wrote:

A colleague made aware of this blog after I had posted this below on my own blog - so I'm sharing it here
    On Tuesday night The One Show featured a short piece about Dyslexia. We are increasingly coming across people labelled as 'having dyslexia' or 'being dyslexic’ and that’s it.
    The One Show showed how colours can be used to help children “fix the words” on the page, I actually used this method with children when learning German in the 1990s in the North of England, by getting the children to place a piece of coloured plastic (cut from one of the plastic closured yet see through A4 document wallets). It’s gret to see it now being taken on mainstream. the One Show also showed a child drawing a figure of 8 laid on its side this is from Magical Spelling, we have also used this with children and adults (but once got into trouble for teaching this to people because we weren’t qualified as Brain Gym teachers – if only things worked that way fro people who “train" NLP ;) - I digress.).

The point is both of the above work as opposed to many other strange things and are certainly far better than leaving some with "well you’re dyslexic” so you need a statement that’s why you’re slow at.

We use and teach something called “Magical Spelling” this is a visual learning strategy which allows people to easily remember the spelling of English words (I have also used it with German words and chemical formulae and PIN Numbers and other things).

Some questions

 Do you work with children (or adults) who struggle with spelling?
     Are you concerned about the impact ‘poor’ spelling can have on people’s esteem and reputation?
     Are you interested in learning a powerful yet simple mental strategy proven to help people spell?

Spelling is a capability, learnt easily by many, more difficult for some, and a huge challenge for others.
    This way of learning to spell isn’t magical at all, it’s very ordinary. As far as we know nearly everyone who can spell English words consistently and accurately uses this strategy. It is only magical for those many people who have tried to use other mental strategies to learn to spell and despite many long hours of study have failed. These people, many of them very intelligent, are often branded lazy, stupid or careless. They sometimes believe it themselves. Specific difficulty with spelling may affect many areas of their lives:
    • how they think of and esteem themselves as learners;
    • the interests they pursue;
    • how they are perceived by others;
    • and in adulthood, the jobs they might go for.

In addition to preventing mis-spellings, “Magical Spelling” allows writing to become more fluent, and reading to become faster, smoother and more accurate.

What is the Magical Spelling Strategy?
    The strategy for magical spelling, uncovered by Robert Dilts in the field of NLP, is a description of the way most good spellers spell. They write or think of a word. Then they check the spelling of that word against a ‘dictionary’ they have in their visual memory. If their word is the same as the one in their ‘dictionary’ they get a feeling that tells them it’s correct. If they don’t have the word, or the word they have written doesn’t match, a different feeling tells them to look it up.

Rosie O’Hara recently used this strategy with a 15 year old branded as dyslexic, “after spending 5 minutes with the student, what I saw was they were not using their visual learning field, yet they had a great arts and crafts capabilities.” Rosie asked some questions, and using NLP skills, very quickly taught the student Magical Spelling, this student caught on quickly (for some it takes a few lessons, some a period of time) and in this case “I was able to explain to the student what was happening and how things would change if that was what they wanted.” Rosie noted physiology changes in the student at the time and also worked on an increase in confidence building which leads to improved self esteem. The student’s mother reported back “a vast improvement in student’s test results at school, as well as confidence”

Another comment in respect of a man in his 40s and his 8 year old son

“The Magical spelling was great. My brother and nephew have both used the exercise when doing his spelling for school. Lewis found the whole experience overwhelming and Martin although sceptical at first has definitely been convinced. I have used the exercise for words that I spell continuously wrong and after my spell checker has corrected the word examine the word to see it as a shape.”

So another tool in the tool box from NLP (Neurolingusitc Programming - the Art and Science of why we do what we do) contact NLP Highland to find out more about learning the technique and also how you can become a Licensed Teacher of Magical Spelling.

• 29. At 7:29pm on 21 Jan 2010, shimeld wrote:

Did you notice the rude word on the letter board behind the lady in the classroom?

I did.

:-)

• 30. At 7:53pm on 21 Jan 2010, Gemini93 wrote:

While I am extremly pleased with your show bringing attetion to learning differculties, I must wonder why you did not cover the other learning differculty associated with dyslexia - dyspraxia. This also affects many people, so I hope you can cover this in the future please. Thanks for at least covering the other two.

• 31. At 9:50pm on 21 Jan 2010, Archichick wrote:

I am 25yrs old, I am in my 7th year of my architectural education and I am dyslexic.

My Mum suspected I was dyslexic from a very early age as she was a teacher and knew what to look for. Every year at parent's evening at primary school and secondary school she'd ask if I should be tested for dyslexia and every year she was told there was no way I was dyslexic as I was too intelligent. It wasn't until I was in Year 10 and my Mum asked another English teacher that he said to get me tested.

My Mum got me tested privately and yes I was dyslexic. My biggest problem is my reading; writing moves and so when I had my dyslexia test I was told that it was called Meares Irlen Syndrome. I got tested and used blue tinted glasses to help the movement in the writing stop.

I have never let my dyslexia stop me from achieving the best I could. I have 9 GCSEs from A* to B grade, 5 A-Levels AAABC and an AS in History. I have two degrees in Architecture and hopefully at the end of this year I will be a qualified Architect. I have had help through my whole education since I was identified as being Dyslexic. University were great, both times, and I received a variety of programmes and equipment to help in my studies.

My advice to anyone who has dyslexia or thinks they do, don't let it stop you from achieving your goals. It is a gift and it makes you different.

• 32. At 5:28pm on 24 Jan 2010, paulcottingham wrote:

Note to the Moderator:
    I own the Copyright. Anyone is free to distribute this article, or to quote from it. The article first appeared in the letters page of the Mensa Magazine. The magazine does not own the copyright of articles and has a disclaimer that reads. Views expressed are not necessarily those of the editor, nor of the officers or directors of Mensa.

Posting:

With the virtual elimination of dyslexia in Dunbartonshire. A Government committee (The Commons Science and Technology Committee) agreed that Dyslexia probably does not exist. After years of being irritated by the family telling me I should take a Dyslexia test. I thought that being an academic nerd and Mensa member, I should find out what is going on. I can write as fluently as I can speak, I can also spell, but I cannot do both at the same time and have learnt to write first and then do the spelling and word processing afterwards.

DOES DYSLEXIA EXIST

I faced this problem using the example set by Richard Feynman "The Great Explainer" using "clear thinking and clear simple presentation". First "write down the problem". In the dictionary Dyslexia is "impaired ability to read not caused by low intelligence". Second "think very hard". The part of the Brain used for literacy is the same as is used for speech, only in the last 200 years has Britain had a literate majority, so this cannot have played any part in the evolution of the Brain, so we must see this in terms of the evolution of our ability to speak. After we learn to speak these abilities diminish as other parts of the Brain like intelligence become more important, for those of us labelled Dyslexic this has more efficiently evolved than for others because we start school just as these facilities begin to diminish, later still some are taught a second language, few could speak read and write fluently and escape the symptoms of Dyslexia in the language they are learning, for instance few Japanese people learning English escape confusing their L,s and R,s. Thirdly "write down the answer". Synthetic Phonics, It is the only teaching method in sympathy with the way we learn to speak, you are taught which letter goes with which sound, all other methods force you to guess, when confused, you make a wrong guess, if uncorrected, this error becomes ingrained for life, when we become aware of the error we consciously try to correct ourselves, our brains are ten times more active than those without these problems. Synthetic phonics improves children's reading skills by almost three years and is the most successful treatment for those labelled dyslexic in later life, in foreign languages with newly introduced roman letters in line with the sounds there is much less Dyslexia. I remember the frustrations and dislike of English and thanks to Julian Elliott have only with this exercise worked out what the problem was. It is in the interest of Government and the teaching profession to deflect criticism of poor literacy in Schools by labelling us Dyslexic as they used to label us thick, Dyslexia does not exist because its symptoms can be explained away as only normal for people who are the victims of bad teaching methods and incompetent teaching, It must also be pointed out that the Dyslexia industry is dominated by teachers not scientists.

• 33. At 7:31pm on 25 Jan 2010, Jo ONeill wrote:

I work with people who have perceptual problems, dyslexia and dyscalculia amongst other conditions comes under this title. I carry out orthoscopic assessments which is the use of tinted lenses to help with conditions such as dyslexia, dyscalculia, dyspraxia, Autistic Spectrum Disorders and Asperger's Syndrome, ADHD to name but a few. As mentioned in another post, it is not only blue and yellow that can help with these conditions, a whole spectrum of colour is available. The advantage of spectacles over coloured rulers or overlays is that they also help with writing, concentration, short term meory, balance and co ordination, copying from the board and flicker and glare from bright lights. There are a handful of practitioners across the country that have this latest technology, you can find more information on the following website:

www.orthoscopics.co.uk

Colour has been used for many years to help with dyslexia and visual stress but orthoscopics has a wider "colour space" to work with and a greater range of tints available.

• 34. At 07:07am on 26 Jan 2010, sarah forde wrote:

Hi,
    I missed the show last Thursday, however I am very keen for my daughter to have the dyscalculia test. I would be very grateful if somebody could tell me where I can get the test done please? I feel this would really help my daughters case with a statutory provision statement.
    Many thanks

• 35. At 12:13pm on 27 Jan 2010, RavivScotland wrote:

I watched with interest the programme on Dyslexia.
    I work to help children and adults overcome learning difficulties.

Whilst many approaches to learning difficulties provide ways of working around the problems, the Raviv Method develops new neural pathways in the brain that enable the natural learning of essential life skills. Consequently, improvement continues after the completion of the programme and benefits will often appear in other areas of life.

I trained as a Raviv Method Practitioner following the amazing success my son Josh had when he took part in the Raviv programme.

Please read our story:

Josh, my son who was 9 years 8 months old struggled with reading, handwriting and spelling at school.
    The roller-coaster ride started at the beginning of January 2006 when Josh was moved down a group in numeracy at school.
    His self-esteem hit rock bottom…
    Josh was attending small group tutoring for his 11+ test.
    At the parents' conference for the tutor group, his tutor felt there was "something" not quite right.
    The tutor had found that Josh was having great difficulty "seeing" letters within words to create new words such as "pound/or take the U out and make pond/our.
    Did she think he was dyslexic?
    To be sure it was suggested that he should be assessed by an Educational Psychologist and to have his eye-tracking checked.
    It was time to find out what was going on.
    In April 2006 Josh was assessed by an Optometrist, who confirmed he had difficulty moving his eyes from side to side - he physically moved his head, not his eyes, when reading or writing and had difficulty with changing the focus of his eyes.
    Josh started a series of daily eye exercises to strengthen his eye muscles, which after three months showed signs of improvement.
    Two days later in April 2006, an Educational Psychologist (EP) diagnosed Josh as being dyslexic with a poor short-term auditory memory. His reading comprehension age was 2 years above his age (a great strength) however his spelling age was 2 years below his age. This 4 years disparity was of great concern.
    Having digested the news from the EP, the next thought was what now?
    The feeling I had was of being at the bottom of a very steep mountain trying to work out what could be done to help; where, when and by whom.
    During my quest to find a dyslexia tutor with a vacancy to help Josh cope, I came across a Raviv Practitioner who was offering more than coping strategies – she was offering an approach that could help Josh overcome, not just cope with, his learning difficulties.
    I researched the Raviv Method and after much soul-searching thought: what have we got to lose?
    There was nothing to lose and everything to gain with the hope of helping my son.
    With a positive mindset we took the leap and Josh agreed to start the Raviv Programme in July 2006 at the start of the school summer holidays.
    He did his exercises EVERY DAY and ENJOYED doing them because he was so determined to help himself.
    The first indication of tangible improvement was at the beginning of September 2006 when Josh won the award at his cricket club for the “Most Improved Player of the Season”!!
    His coach said, "it was the easiest award to give as Josh's game and overall sportsmanship had improved dramatically"!
    We were delighted, no doubt the improvements had come from the motor skills training he'd been practising on the Raviv programme.
    Josh's self-esteem and self confidence started to soar and we watched him go from strength to strength.
    Josh had a new Individual Education Plan (IEP) when he returned to school in September 2006, to reflect recommendations made by the Educational Psychologist and the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) at school.
    Six weeks later in mid October at the parents' conference, his class teacher had to scrap his whole IEP, as Josh had met all the targets set!!!
    Josh completed his Raviv Programme at the end of November 2006, having thoroughly enjoyed it!
    Two weeks later at the beginning of December 2006 school had him independently assessed by the Specialist Teaching Service with the following AMAZING results:
    Chronological Age: 10 years 6 months
    Reading Comprehension Age: 11 years 4 months
    Word Reading Accuracy Age: 10 years 6 months IMPROVEMENT of +2 years 6 months
    Spelling Age: 10 years 8 months IMPROVEMENT of +3 years
    The improvement in Josh's all round reading ability has been amazing. It is as if he has had to catch up on all the books he struggled with before Raviv.
    Following Raviv, Josh was moved to the TOP group for Literacy, second TOP group for Spelling and second TOP group for Numeracy.
    Apart from overcoming his learning difficulties academically, Josh has regained his self-esteem and a new found self-confidence.
    His organisational abilities have improved dramatically, especially in the morning when getting ready for school!
    Homework he now sails through, he no longer spends literally hours working out what to do and then trying to get it down legibly on paper. It just flows.
    For us the Raviv Method turned around our lives, it really has been miraculous.
    Josh is now able to achieve the potential that was previously locked inside him.
    (Mother of 11 year-old son, Karen Wexelstein)

Further details can be found on www.ravivscotland.co.uk

• 36. At 8:13pm on 27 Jan 2010, Karen wrote:

I also have a son who is now 9 years old (school year 4) who I feel is dyslexic but despite pointing out to his school that I have these feelings and that there are many dyslexics in the family they say he just lazy and can't be bothered and to top it all I have been told several times that I am just a hypercondriac single mum who has no idea what dyslexia really is. I am a SEN teacher, so I guess I wouldn't!!

At parents evenings the continuous subject brought up is his lack of reading and writing ability and how he is unable to concentrate. When I again bring up the subject of getting him assessed for dyslexia all they can answer is "he can't be as he is doing well in science and maths" and "there are other students who have more obvious problems that need assessing first so he will have to wait or get him assessed yourself".

I have tried to go through the process of getting him assessed but seem to hit a constant hurdle with the LEA who just send form after form and I can't at present pay to get him assessed privately.

In Leicester (or the part where I live) our children still go up to secondary school at the end of year 5 and I have now been told that unless I can pay to get him assessed before he gets to secondary school, he will be too old for the LEA to assess him and therefore he will struggle for the rest of his school life.