Adrian's beard - should it stay or should it go?

The One Show Team | 12:27 UK time, Monday, 18 January 2010

Add your comment.

Adrian's new beard. It's been the subject of much discussion on screen and in our blogs.

It's caused Adrian to be likened to some famous figures. Watch the video:

In order to see this content you need to have both Javascript enabled and Flash installed. Visit BBC Webwise for full instructions. If you're reading via RSS, you'll need to visit the blog to access this content.

On Thursday night, Davina McCall definitely didn't want it to go, saying "I love it!" However, Adrian's own mother has threatened to stop watching The One Show if it isn't shaved off soon.

And many viewers are divided over whether the facial fuzz should stay or go.

Some agree with Davina. One Show blogger Jan Canavan wrote of Adrian's new look:  "You look fantastic with that beard and I don't like them, but boy does it suit you!"

Viewer Mike Hodgkins told us, "I think it looks great, [I] wish my wife would let me grow a beard. Personal choice Adrian, if you like it, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, go for it. You have my full support."

However, not everyone likes Mr Chiles' new facial hair. Viewer Michael de Groot told us that his eight year old Luke wondered why Adrian wasn't shaving and that the beard looks very strange. Viewer Sheli Acton agreed, "Adrian, get rid of the beard... we want to see your face clearly."

And viewer Eileen asked, "What on earth has Adrian got on his face? My hubby has a full beard, it is not as if I dislike beards, but please Adrian, please let me see your lovely face again."

Should Adrian's beard stay or go? Let us know what you think in the comment box below.

Comments

• 1. At 7:08pm on 18 Jan 2010, paul connolly wrote:

Adrian looks lovely with his beard, all warm and cuddly. Keep it until it starts to itch at least!

• 2. At 7:08pm on 18 Jan 2010, christine wrote:

I think Adrian looks plain daft with his beard and by what he is wearing as well today he looks like he is having a major midlife crisis! Just get yourself a soft top sports car instead!

• 3. At 7:10pm on 18 Jan 2010, Gary wrote:

Scruffy old man trying to look young. Sorry Adrian but you look a mess.

• 4. At 7:12pm on 18 Jan 2010, Shirley wrote:

I think Adrian should remove his beard and raise money for the Haiti earthquake appeal! Even West Brom would approve!!

• 5. At 7:12pm on 18 Jan 2010, Terry Scott wrote:

Glad to see the beard is still here Adrian keep up the good looking facial work!

• 6. At 7:13pm on 18 Jan 2010, Robert wrote:

Adrian's beard should go if WBA loose to the Toon tonight!!!

• 7. At 7:13pm on 18 Jan 2010, sureed28 wrote:

I suggest that due to the terrible natural disaster that has happened in Haiti.....that Adrian has people sponser him to shave his beard off..with all donations sent to Haiti disaster fund... go on Adrian I dare you!!!!

• 8. At 7:15pm on 18 Jan 2010, Buddug Roberts wrote:

I think Adrian's beard is the bees knees, he has a childlike face so the beard has really turned him into a scruffy hunk of a man - all in our house love it!!!!!!!!

• 9. At 7:16pm on 18 Jan 2010, The Sweets wrote:

Every night we say in this house in unison for the love of all that is good Adrian lose the beard man!

• 10. At 7:19pm on 18 Jan 2010, johnandgareth wrote:

Adrian looks fab with his beard. Keep it!!!

• 11. At 7:22pm on 18 Jan 2010, Val Knox wrote:

glad to see the beard is still there....lookin good!!

• 12. At 7:23pm on 18 Jan 2010, alison wrote:

never mind bed hair, Adrian has bed face! I like it though

• 13. At 7:23pm on 18 Jan 2010, John in Spain wrote:

Adrian
    We love your presentation style, your dry humour, your regional accent,and your laconic manner. We even quite love your beard. Do you think though that, when Christine makes the effort to turn up every day looking well dressed, well groomed and sparkling clean, you might make a little more effort on behalf of the blokes? A grotty old sweater and a scruffy white vest doesn't really do it for us. We don't need a suit/collar/tie jobby but a little more respect wouldn't go amiss. It is, after all a visual medium you work in, unlike radio where it doesn't matter a jot! ! ? ?
    Wishing you every success in the future - great show.
    John and Jay xx
    (I should just point out that the kisses are from Jay not John and that they are conditional on you shaping up a bit!).

• 14. At 7:25pm on 18 Jan 2010, S Watson wrote:

Adrian looks a dishevelled mess. Has he no shame turning up for work looking like that?

• 15. At 7:25pm on 18 Jan 2010, Margaret OHagan wrote:

Is Adrian related to Benny Hill? He is looking more and more like him. Get rid of it, ugh.

• 16. At 7:26pm on 18 Jan 2010, Ruth Kelsey wrote:

Adrian's beard makes him look cute and cuddly - don't shave it off but maybe if he trimmed it a bit closer to his face it would please his Mum and the viewers who don't like it so much.

• 17. At 7:26pm on 18 Jan 2010, joyce wrote:

It looks lovely, keep it!!

• 18. At 7:30pm on 18 Jan 2010, Roy wrote:

I think Peppa Pig's Dad comes to mind

• 19. At 7:30pm on 18 Jan 2010, saraesa wrote:

adrian...u should trim the moustache and leave the beard. Alright!

• 20. At 7:46pm on 18 Jan 2010, gibboo9 wrote:

• 21. At 7:53pm on 18 Jan 2010, Allen from Surrey wrote:

Allen from Surrey says it should go. Why not buy one get one free - a razor blade for Adrian and a make over for Kate Konsella (the weather forecaster) by Trinny and Suzanna tomorrow.

• 22. At 7:57pm on 18 Jan 2010, susan p wrote:

Adrian, Keep the beard !!!!! obvoiously people out their dont like facial hair and are bound to go ugh! regardless. Suits you agree with the comments tho about the ..ehm. "lived in look" tonite...like you were late for work and thrown your clothes on .. One week on an still loving the beard ...

• 23. At 8:22pm on 18 Jan 2010, lottie wrote:

adrian, i am so sorry but i really dont like it, either grow it long (which would look even more silly)or shave it off! my opinion is: SHAVE IT OFF...NOW!!! p.s, sorry! x

• 24. At 10:37pm on 18 Jan 2010, Terry Warren wrote:

I thought Adrian Chiles was going to end wearing his beard last week,
    yet here he is on Monday still wearing it.
    It makes him look a bit like a cut-price Alan Sugar.
    I preferred him without a beard, especially as I used to mistake
    him for Ray Stubbs (brothers?).
    Adrian, you haven't got the face for a beard, please get rid of it.

• 25. At 10:41am on 19 Jan 2010, RosemaryGee wrote:

Adrian's beard is making a strong statement about how men could do their bit about saving the planet.
    Just think of all the resources that are consumed and energy wasted so that he can present a clean shaven face.
    Lets get real and show we are serious about saving the planet and reduce the use of vanity products and practices.

Well done Adrian you are leading the way

• 26. At 12:32pm on 19 Jan 2010, andy wrote:

itchy beard? i trim mine using the no2 comb on my hair clippers 5mins per week & no shaving - lovely stuff

• 27. At 12:45pm on 19 Jan 2010, FIONA BROCKLEHURST wrote:

Adrians Beard has a facebook page now....The Adrian Chiles beard appreciation......

There are already quite a few members, and all the comments are very favourable towards the beard.......!!!

He seems to have a few more female followers now...!!!

• 28. At 2:11pm on 19 Jan 2010, Lesley-Jean wrote:

My husband and I think Adrian looks like Onslow, Mrs Bucket's, er sorry, Bouquet's brothe-in-law..... sory Adrian!

• 29. At 3:33pm on 19 Jan 2010, KD from Newtownards wrote:

I kinda like Adrian's beard. Loved the Ewok comparison! My husband hasn't shaved for the past few weeks and now says he won't shave his beard until Adrian does!! Don't know whether that's a good thing or not...help!

• 30. At 5:31pm on 19 Jan 2010, lindsey reeves wrote:

i think he needs a good razor.....shave it off!!!

• 31. At 5:59pm on 19 Jan 2010, rosco wrote:

I'm not a great fan , and i was appalled at the way he tried to manipulate the interview with his Muslim guest, a few nights ago suggesting, The jews were all good, and the muslims were just terrorists The Balfour Declaration , mr. chiles should read..........
    Why the BBC gives him air time is beyond me

• 32. At 7:04pm on 19 Jan 2010, donna wrote:

i think what's really important is how soft and fluffy is the beard? there's nothing worse than a scratchy beard, so i think we should have a 'touch test'; if it passes, it stays, if it fails, it goes!!! come on christine, get testing!!!

• 33. At 7:16pm on 19 Jan 2010, MerlinHC wrote:

Adrian, why don't you shave off the beard to raise money for the Hiati Earthquake Appeal?

• 34. At 7:16pm on 19 Jan 2010, K Wilson wrote:

• 35. At 7:24pm on 19 Jan 2010, Lisa wrote:

Adrian
    I think it looks great (and I dont generally like beardss) You look more attractive with it. If you do decide not to keep it though I think your hair should stay longer that looks better too.
    Ps - the show is great....I put my baby to bed and then rush downstairs to watch it....one of the few things on TV I actualy enjoy these days :)

• 36. At 7:27pm on 19 Jan 2010, Kirsty Paton wrote:

Oh Adrian!! the beard is just awful, and what's with the baggy coloured jumpers, even trinny and suzannah will you a jacket is much more flattering on a man of your stature.
    I love the one show and Christine is always so beautifully dressed, lately you look like you've just rolled out of bed, are your other work commitments too much??? Go to a good barbour, enjoy being pampered and have a wonderful shave then look your suit jackets out again. Please please get rid of the beard it makes you look tons older and is interfering with my viewing pleasure.

• 37. At 7:28pm on 19 Jan 2010, David Pick wrote:

Looking at Adrian Chiles today reminds me of some advice my father gave me over 50 years ago-'Never cultivate on your face that which grows wild around your a--e!' (Sorry about the language.)

• 38. At 7:33pm on 19 Jan 2010, sarah yule wrote:

• 39. At 7:34pm on 19 Jan 2010, sarah yule wrote:

get rid of the beard! doesn't suit!!

• 40. At 7:54pm on 19 Jan 2010, richrad wrote:

Hi Adrian
    Keep it on as beards were invented before razor blades. It's your life as well, if folk can't take you as you are well thats their problem.
    Richard

• 41. At 7:59pm on 19 Jan 2010, petra greenwood wrote:

Does Adrian realise that kissing a man with a beard is like making love to a cat?

• 42. At 8:36pm on 19 Jan 2010, KittyKat wrote:

I love love love the beard it's a vast improvement, you should definitely keep it but it'll need to be maintained to keep it looking sexy.

• 43. At 09:10am on 20 Jan 2010, kathryn2468 wrote:

I love the beard, and hope that Adrian is not forced to shave it off.
    If the news stories are true and Adrian is going to be made to shave it off then would that not be beardism?

• 44. At 09:43am on 20 Jan 2010, Jane Miller wrote:

I used to enjoy watching the One Show but cannot bear seeing Adrian with that ghastly beard - it totally puts me off. Please shave it off so I can once again enjoy watching.

• 45. At 09:44am on 20 Jan 2010, christine wrote:

I love it! I have been married to a beard for 25 years and i wouldn't change him for the world.If you like it then leave it,don't let other people decide for you

• 46. At 11:47am on 20 Jan 2010, sarapj wrote:

I don't know what all this fuss is about to be honest - if the man wants a beard let him have one!! Personally I think he looks pretty good, and I'd like to see it stay!

• 47. At 12:21pm on 20 Jan 2010, Julie_06 wrote:

The beard is lovely. Let it grow and then style it with brylcreem in crazy ways, a different one for every show. Make it a feature: Adrian's beard today (twirled moustache and braided chin hair on Monday).

• 48. At 2:14pm on 20 Jan 2010, Gardenhunter wrote:

The beard is great - somehow it makes him look less grumpy and more friendly!!! Let him keep it - just so long as it doesnt get too bushy like David Bellamy;

• 49. At 2:33pm on 20 Jan 2010, faye bryant wrote:

i think adrian looks great with the beard and he should not have to shave it off for anyone only if he wants to. if he was to shave it off then he should have a highest bidder raffle to shave the beard off for him and to donate the money to the people of hatie. keep up the good work adrian you are a fellow brummie and we all support you

• 50. At 3:29pm on 20 Jan 2010, Vicki wrote:

Keep the beard Adrian, it looks sexy!

• 51. At 3:38pm on 20 Jan 2010, Ann wrote:

I haven't read the other comments here, so I have no idea what other people think about Adrian's beard. Me, I think it is absolutely awful!Adrian looks like an old homeless man who needs a good wash! Get it off!

• 52. At 3:46pm on 20 Jan 2010, Barbra wrote:

I think that Adrian should keep the beard ...I think the look that he has now looks great and sexy too..I wouldn't go for a full beard just what you got going on now!

• 53. At 3:54pm on 20 Jan 2010, Ann wrote:

Adrian's beard should stay! He looks rugged, handsome and very sexy!!

• 54. At 4:14pm on 20 Jan 2010, Paul H wrote:

I have just donated to the Haiti appeal but would gladly double or even triple my donation if Adrian got rid of that stupid beard.
    Perhaps a competition to see which faction, the keepers or removers could offer the most money to either Haiti or Children in need might be a good idea.

• 55. At 4:24pm on 20 Jan 2010, Martin Davies wrote:

His face is the wrong shape for the beard - or maybe vice versa ! I assume that he will keep the beard until enough people sign up to pay enough money for him to have it shaved off . . . with a side "bet" as to the length he will reach. But what charity ? Christine's water-ski lessons, perhaps ? The earthquake appeal (Haiti) would be excellent, of course, and I am sure they will still need money in a year or three's time - but it should be something (really) sporting ! I look forward to seeing other ideas . . .

• 56. At 4:53pm on 20 Jan 2010, Corinne wrote:

I think it is an improvement. Think the clean look is ok to a degree but personally think it really suits Adrian's face!

• 57. At 5:27pm on 20 Jan 2010, David Dade wrote:

So should we expect tomorrow's Sun headline?
    "God ordered by BBC to shave - told beard inconsistent with his role as creator of the Universe"

Why not then order Ade to shave his scalp, and everywhere else?

Shaving? It's a shameful waste of resources - water, soap, steel, electricity - and time! For a man there is nothing greener nor more ecologically responsible than to let his beard grow.

Best Bearded Regards

David Dade
    Honorary President and Organiser
    ______________________________________
    His Beard Is A Man's Most Personal Possession
    Grow yours with http://thebritishbeardclub.org

• 58. At 5:33pm on 20 Jan 2010, Mike Fraser wrote:

Definitely keep it, it really does suit you Adrian.

• 59. At 5:34pm on 20 Jan 2010, john sammans wrote:

Keep the beard Adrian - those who want you to shave may just be jealous of your new found distinguished look. It's obvious Christine likes it anyway - despite what she may say!

• 60. At 6:27pm on 20 Jan 2010, RosemaryGee wrote:

Keep the beard Adrian - its environmentally friendly and it suits you

My husband shaved his off for our wedding and then stopped shaving on our honeymoon and has had one ever since although he has trimmed it in the intervening 41 years

Yours will look good with a little more length than the shadow it is now

• 61. At 7:12pm on 20 Jan 2010, Thomas Reece wrote:

Please Adrian get rid of the beard it dose you no justice. Just makes you look untidy as you have been sleeping ruff. We want the good looking Adrian back PLEASE?.

• 62. At 7:16pm on 20 Jan 2010, GillyP2011 wrote:

I'm sorry but Adrian's beard HAS TO GO ...it looks awful and scuffy

• 63. At 7:17pm on 20 Jan 2010, spaceartuk wrote:

OK, that's it. We now watch the first 5 seconds of each show, and if that so-called 'beard' is still there we switch over to The Simpsons on Sky One. Stop being so stubborn, Adrian -- nobody LIKES it! (including your Mum)

• 64. At 7:22pm on 20 Jan 2010, Anthony wrote:

As beards are pretty trendy at the moment, i think Adrian has made a good move. He now looks more with it and it actually suits him. It's all grow on the one show.

From Anthony in Bromley

• 65. At 7:26pm on 20 Jan 2010, Alison Cordell wrote:

I promised myself that if I saw Mr Chiles scratch his face just once more on national television I would write (to complain), so here it is, never done it before but enough is enough. Please, ask him to shave it off.............many thanks.

• 66. At 7:27pm on 20 Jan 2010, Helen wrote:

Please get rid Adrian... you look like a hairy benny hill !!!

Helen , Mnchester

• 67. At 7:35pm on 20 Jan 2010, colin brown wrote:

have a shave .do it for charity.

• 68. At 7:36pm on 20 Jan 2010, Dawn wrote:

I think you are wonderful Adrian but please, please get rid of that beard, it does not suit you and why on earth would you want to cover your face up anyway.
    Dawn - Milton Keynes

• 69. At 7:49pm on 20 Jan 2010, Alison Rowan wrote:

I am a huge fan of the One Show. I love Adrian's beard and think it should stay. I think he really suits it.

• 70. At 7:55pm on 20 Jan 2010, david senior wrote:

what a scruff bag he looks, if I decided to turn up for work like that, without first talking about it to my manager. I would be given a written warning. I bet if he went into a gentlemans outfitters and the salesman looked like that, Adrian would be the first to complain.

• 71. At 8:03pm on 20 Jan 2010, Carole wrote:

Keep the beard Adrian it Suits you.

• 72. At 8:54pm on 20 Jan 2010, ray wrote:

Adrian should keep the beard I may look a bit rough at the moment but it is early days perhaps it little manure will speed up it's growth it worked for me I have now sported a for about beard for forty three years

• 73. At 07:54am on 21 Jan 2010, Fay Senior wrote:

Adrian you look hot you sexy beast you, keep it !!!!!!!

Love the show guys xxx

• 74. At 11:08am on 21 Jan 2010, Kernowc wrote:

It suits you. Definitely keep it you look great!!

• 75. At 11:46am on 21 Jan 2010, Jo wrote:

It's growing on me!
    If you have to shave the beard off - might you consider doing so as part of Sue Ryder Care's Febru-'hairy'! Raise vital funds for people with end of life and long term conditions.

• 76. At 1:50pm on 21 Jan 2010, Danedweller wrote:

Getting more like Rab C Nesbitt everyday. Let's face it he isn't very appetising to look at and neither are you Adrian.
    Is that a brown paperbag with a bottle in it under the table?

Your appearance says a lot about how much respect you have for your viewers. It is a disgrace that the BBC continues to let you look like this on what they consider to be one of thier flagship programmes.

• 77. At 3:53pm on 21 Jan 2010, AdamLCanning wrote:

He should keep it.

It's not up to anyone what he does and doesn't do, this is like minor discrimination...leave Adrian Chiles a lone!

I don't care if this is fun or light hearted, it's just all the time you make Adrian look stupid on national TV, it's not right and it's not fair.

I'm suprised that Ofcom hasn't put a stop to it.

• 78. At 4:22pm on 21 Jan 2010, Hazel wrote:

We don't like Adrian with a beard much either but at least it doesn't cover his eyes. Christine your fringe is far too long I'm surprised you can see to read the autocue. Love the show keep up the good work.

• 79. At 4:52pm on 21 Jan 2010, samantha wrote:

Yesterday I read the sun newspaper and was appalled by the fact that BBC execs would like Adrian to shave off his beard. Firstly beard are the new manley fashion accessory for 2010. Beckham to Pitt even Jay from the inbetweeners is sporting a beard(as seen on last nights tv awards). My beloved husband started off with a goatee but I have now convinced him to grow a beard. Let me tell you he looks much better for sporting one. His co-workers have all commented on how well he looks with it. So I am begging you Adrian stick to your guns on this matter because I think it fits you just right!

• 80. At 6:31pm on 21 Jan 2010, Elaine wrote:

I would just like to so like so many others just how much I LOVE Adrains beard, wish my other half would grow one, its dead sexy. Keep it x

• 81. At 7:01pm on 21 Jan 2010, Beresford wrote:

Keep the beard Ade-don't let anyone tell you what to do-apart from me!!

• 82. At 7:09pm on 21 Jan 2010, golfbelle wrote:

I have really gone off both Adrian and Christine - he looks ridiculous with the beard, and she is too giggly and childish, and her summery clothes are awful too. Also, why do they have to sit so close together - you don't need the both of them anyway. Get rid of them both and bring in a new presenter - perhaps someone not so well known.

• 83. At 9:18pm on 21 Jan 2010, flip69 wrote:

i think he looks like a tramp and thats from a fellow brummie.

• 84. At 07:17am on 22 Jan 2010, Ryan Lockwood wrote:

Adrian looks quite dashing with his bum fluff. Don't listen to them mate, they're all just jealous!!!

• 85. At 09:48am on 22 Jan 2010, spaceartuk wrote:

I have nothing against beards; I had one for many years (in fact I looked like Rolf Harris!) but I HATE the current stubbly style, which I thought was already passé in the 80s and just looks as if they can't be bothered to shave. And since we have to look at him (if we continue watching - see above) I think we do have a right to comment. But it's obvious than Adrian couldn't give a **** about what his viewers think anyway. . .

• 86. At 5:08pm on 22 Jan 2010, Revles wrote:

The beard should go. It makes Adrian look like a scruffy old man, and not the lovely guy we know him to be.

• 87. At 6:55pm on 25 Jan 2010, Danedweller wrote:

Isn't it time we put this to rest. The beard does absolutely nothing for Adrian Chiles. He just looks more like a down and out, like Rab C Nesbitt every day. I would not look at my husband if he looked scruffy as AC does. If he thinks wearing a jacket will improve the image it doesn't.

Time this discussion was ended and the Beeb told him to get rid of the beard, or, if he refuses, they get rid of AC from TOS.

• 88. At 12:52pm on 26 Jan 2010, anthony brindle wrote:

My view is that Adrian is secretly working as Henry the Eighth in in his spare time at some provincial theatre

• 89. At 1:45pm on 26 Jan 2010, Rachel Dodd wrote:

Adrian leave the beard ... I love it... bet you have far more 'fors' than 'against' ..

• 90. At 2:51pm on 26 Jan 2010, Zaphira wrote:

Get rid of it... Very few men can carry off facial hair ... Brian Blessed, Denver Pyle, and John Rhys Davies are those men - but Adrian Chiles ... No way, Jose!

• 91. At 4:46pm on 26 Jan 2010, Colin Campbell wrote:

The beard MUST go. Amen

• 92. At 7:19pm on 26 Jan 2010, ANN DAWSON wrote:

i think adrian looks like an old tramp with his beard ,,he just cant carry it off ,, looks awful

• 93. At 7:35pm on 26 Jan 2010, Dave wrote:

I think the appearance of Adrian Chiles, including the beard, is scruffy, unkept and untidy. I see he has made it onto the nationally published top ten of untidy people. Well deserved. He appeared tonight in a T shirt and sweater that looked as though it had come from an Oxfam donation bag.
    He is in complete contrast to Christine Bleakely who is always well turned out. Incidentally, she also avoids the errs and uumms that interupt every sentence that Adrian utters. Why can't he string a coherant sentence together.
    I love the show and format, but I wish the producers would get a grip of Adrian and sort him out.

• 94. At 8:02pm on 26 Jan 2010, orang tua wrote:

I totally agree with John of Spain. What on earth has possessed Adrian Chiles to adopt the appearance of a vagrant? I am so incensed by his appearance that I can no longer watch the one show. Sadly this will not result in a drop in your viewing figures since my wife insists on continuing to watch it and I have to leave the room until it is over.

• 95. At 8:14pm on 26 Jan 2010, LEUCOTHEA wrote:

Adrian keep the beard they look great after a month or two of cultivation better still after a shampoo and trim. Please just get rid of the scruffy cloths you let us bearded brothers down. Smart cloths and tidy beard knocks the 24 hour stubble look any day

• 96. At 7:17pm on 27 Jan 2010, M1M1 wrote:

Keep the beard, it is lovely - furry men rule!

• 97. At 7:26pm on 27 Jan 2010, charlotte casson wrote:

I am afraid I do not like Adrian's scruffy beard, but more importantly, I strongly believe that his dress code is sloppy and not what should be mirrored on the BBC. Christine is always immaculate, and this evening Giles Brandreth really showed Adrian up as someone who looked as though he had just fallen out of bed. Smarten up, Adrian, and start setting an example - far too many scruffs on the TV not setting decent examples.

• 98. At 7:32pm on 27 Jan 2010, Gareth wrote:

• 99. At 7:55pm on 27 Jan 2010, Karen wrote:

Love Adrians beard but he could do with scrubbing up a little. I'm sure that with a bit of guidance, there must be some clothes out there that would make Adrian look even better.

• 100. At 8:58pm on 27 Jan 2010, Irving wrote:

I know that BBC are not concerned how their presenters look, but I do feel that Adrian looked as if he had just got our of bed & threw on the first items of cloths he could reach i.e: a white vest with an ill fitting jumper & looking unwashed with that ridiculas so called beard. Is it not time that BBC insisted on standards as it once did?

• 101. At 9:49pm on 27 Jan 2010, terri wrote:

this is the first time I have made a comment of any kind on this "blog" I think Adrian's beard looks really good, he wears it well.... pure and simple..... leave it and him be !!

• 102. At 7:23pm on 28 Jan 2010, Andrew Thomas wrote:

Hi
    I think adrian looks really good with the beard, i have tried a few times to grow one myself but every time i get to a 4 day growth my wife always make me shave it off!! So well done Adrian, i think you should keep it. Great show by the way.
    Andrew

• 103. At 9:31pm on 28 Jan 2010, cath wrote:

Well, if the beard doesn't go and if Adrian doesn't smarten up, I will stop watching the show.
    Sorry, but it is not attactive to look at after a days work and please
    Adrian get your eyes tested you are always squinting!!!

• 104. At 12:43pm on 29 Jan 2010, Christina wrote:

Adrian,

Please get rid of that ghastly growth on your face. Your dress sense on The One Show has always been doubtful but the beard just completes the 'tramp' look. If that is what you are trying to achieve, then you have succeeded, but it is insulting both to your audience and to Christine, whose appearance is always impeccable. Until that beard goes, the show has lost this viewer.

• 105. At 7:20pm on 29 Jan 2010, Dawn wrote:

Adrian I was expecting to see clean shaven this week but was so disappointed when you still had that horrible beard. You look much better without it so please think seriously about having a shave. Other than that you are great.

• 106. At 7:36pm on 29 Jan 2010, peter goffin wrote:

Adrians beard is scruffy, get it cut off and smarten yourself up,you are on a family show at teatime afterall.There are too many presenters looking like they do not have any pride in their appearance.

• 107. At 7:37pm on 29 Jan 2010, mick mcginn wrote:

Adrian should keep the beard why should bosses tell him to shave it off they should have better things to with our money if he left the one show they would loose lots of viewers.

• 108. At 11:20am on 01 Feb 2010, alan campbell wrote:

Sorry Adrian,but unless you are dressing for a part in a pantomine,it loooks scruffy,get rid.

• 109. At 12:52pm on 01 Feb 2010, Mike Brown wrote:

I think it looks dreadful, if Adrian has to keep it he should have it
    styled better, at the moment it looks dirty and untidy, get it shaved off. Mike Brown

• 110. At 7:38pm on 01 Feb 2010, raqspaniel wrote:

Either grow a beard or shave off. The stubble effect just looks scruffy.

Let it grow properly

• 111. At 7:47pm on 01 Feb 2010, Steve wrote:

Don't just get rid of Adrian's beard get rid of Adrian, a complete waste of space.

• 112. At 10:03am on 02 Feb 2010, BobbyBoingBoing wrote:

Isn't mid life crisis sad. You get a new (younger) woman, and think a fiveo'clock shadow will look good. Sorry, on Brad Pitt it looks good, on Johnny Depp, maybe. But Adrian, Adrian, what are you thinking about. By your own admission you have a passing similarity to Benny Hill - now, it's more like Claude Greengrass! Just plain scruffy. Perhaps you should try again when you are a bit older, and can grow a proper beard.

• 113. At 12:01pm on 02 Feb 2010, nette99 wrote:

Sorry Adrian but you look tatty and unwashed

• 114. At 8:30pm on 03 Feb 2010, TERRYWBROWN wrote:

• 115. At 7:38pm on 04 Feb 2010, TEAandBICCIES wrote:

Adrian your beard is VERY SEXY keep it!

• 116. At 4:30pm on 05 Feb 2010, derek west wrote:

I think the cat Lola whio starred on last night s show is better looking than Adrian

• 117. At 10:45am on 06 Feb 2010, ClassicFM wrote:

Dear me, the only reason I bothered to visit this website, was to post a comment about Adrian as well as his beard. Personally, I think they should both go, I am tired of looking at such a scruffy mess, who comes across as unprofessional, and not particularly intelligent. Difficult to understand why he is allowed to be on TV looking as he does, personally I think his couldn't care less appearance shows a total lack of respect for viewers. I have no interest in watching the show when he is presenter. Why should Christine always look neat, clean and attractive only to be shown up by him?

• 118. At 12:30pm on 06 Feb 2010, Johnfrum wrote:

Adrian's beard should go.

• 119. At 3:21pm on 06 Feb 2010, Lorna Forbes wrote:

Should definitely go , as it makes him look even scruffier.

• 120. At 3:54pm on 06 Feb 2010, Lorna Forbes wrote:

Please pass this info onto your food ghuru! It would appear he thinks GM foods are ok , he needs to do a lot more reading instead of sending out wrong messages.
    from Health & Wellness,
    GMOs and Organ Damage
    A recent E.U. study found that rats whose diets included different strains of Monsanto's genetically modified (GM) corn experienced kidney, liver, , damage
    Kind Regards

Lorna

• 121. At 7:26pm on 08 Feb 2010, jean hayes wrote:

I think Adrian is lovely with and without the beard.

• 122. At 8:06pm on 08 Feb 2010, kevin cook wrote:

I personally believe that the choice is with Adrian.......As this issue has raised a lot of interest, would it not be good for viewers to sponsor the removal of it,if, or when, Adrian chooses to remove it,for a charity of Adrians choice.

• 123. At 11:44am on 09 Feb 2010, tps5247 wrote:

the beard should go also adrian should tidy himself up he is a tv precenter afterall he should look smart and not like he has just got out of bed.

• 124. At 4:32pm on 09 Feb 2010, Paul H wrote:

Interesting that many of the guests last week had REAL beards. Perhaps the producers are trying to tell you something Adrian. You have proved thay your beard growing skills are worse than your presenting skills so GET RID

• 125. At 6:42pm on 09 Feb 2010, Danedweller wrote:

Looking at other presenters on TV, I think Adrian Chiles rates the scruffiest. Beard, T Shirs, Jumpers and the sum total of the wardrobe ghastly jeans.

Time the BBC demanded some high standards from these WELL PAID presenters. I am sure they get a clothing allowance?

• 126. At 7:02pm on 09 Feb 2010, hazel wrote:

get rid of the beard now, very scruffy ,untidy, just like the way
    ac dresses, old t/shirt and jumper, whatm has happened to the bbc
    dress code, shirt and tie would be nice..

• 127. At 7:30pm on 09 Feb 2010, debbie wrote:

I think Adrian's beard should go. He looks younger without

• 128. At 7:43pm on 09 Feb 2010, christine mitsinga-judge wrote:

Please Adrian! Get rid of the beard! It looks awful! Take a leaf out of Richard Madeley's book!! Didn't suit him either. xx

• 129. At 8:08pm on 09 Feb 2010, Ron Wood wrote:

Dress code and beard must go.Does he not feel extremely embarrased
    in the company of his co presenter Christine and his guests who are always smartly dressed.
    Enjoyed tonights show but I dont know how much longer I will watch the show if Adrian doesn't get his act together.

• 130. At 11:20am on 10 Feb 2010, somersetlevels wrote:

Keep the beard Adrian, it looks great. With or without the beard you are still great.

• 131. At 5:04pm on 10 Feb 2010, Rob wrote:

Adrian should keep it - until Sport Relief when Christine will shave it off.

• 132. At 7:19pm on 10 Feb 2010, Margaret wrote:

The beard is AWFUL and should go!! just like the ghastly "OOOOOOONE" show music. The beard is scruffy!! Adrian should smarten up!! Christine looks good, always well groomed

• 133. At 4:09pm on 11 Feb 2010, Alan Reeve wrote:

I have a beard - in fact more or less all men have beards, it is just that some choose to shave them off every morning, and others never allow them to grow properly. Adrian falls into this category. If you are going to have a beard - have a proper one! Don't trim it on anything less than a number 4. So called "Designer Stubble" just looks scruffy.
    beardedal

• 134. At 7:17pm on 11 Feb 2010, helen Butler wrote:

Helen Butler says

Adrian, if you want to keep the beard you really shouldn't keep scratching it, it's not a good look.

• 135. At 7:23pm on 11 Feb 2010, keith wrote:

• 136. At 7:28pm on 11 Feb 2010, Gwen wrote:

I think the beard looks fine . In fact a great improvement.

• 137. At 7:33pm on 11 Feb 2010, TonyB14U wrote:

I understand why Adrian wanted to grow a beard - after all who wants to look like Benny Hill ? - But sorry Adrian it just makes you look like Benny Hill in his later years, sort of a Steptoe version of him!

• 138. At 8:48pm on 11 Feb 2010, goricky wrote:

I think Adrian should keep his beard.I think men with beards are sexy! Keep it Adrian, especially if, as reported, the BBC want you to remove it!

• 139. At 06:31am on 12 Feb 2010, elaine coult wrote:

Plase keep the beard. You look better with it and it may want me to watch evan Match of the day more because you've got it. Elaine Coult

• 140. At 7:25pm on 12 Feb 2010, melaniejane wrote:

My mum says that if Adrian is going to keep his beard can he please stop scratching it!

• 141. At 7:57pm on 12 Feb 2010, davies wrote:

• 142. At 8:09pm on 12 Feb 2010, davies wrote:

why have a comment page if you can not comment no swearing I agree but you ask a question then remove the answer House Rules you imply are bump!

The program on wolves Adrian take the part or get rid ofthe beard

• 143. At 2:35pm on 15 Feb 2010, bill wrote:

ADRION YO LOOK ABART 60 YO LOOK LYK A OLD MON GET RID ON IT NAR . BILL FROM TIPTON. YO LUK NICE WITHART THAT FUNGUS ON THAT FERCE OF YOUN NEXT TO THAT LOVERY WENCH HARS LIKE HER OLD MON HER IS LOVERLY WENCH. WISE WE GOT LOOKER LIKE THAT RAND TIPTON MYNDYA I HA LOOKT.

• 144. At 4:24pm on 16 Feb 2010, pegasus0151 wrote:

Tell Adrian he looks a real scruff with that beard.
    I watch the show every night but his beard is putting me off

[Personal details removed by Moderator]

• 145. At 7:29pm on 16 Feb 2010, lyn may wrote:

Adrian, your beard looks great. If you like it, don't be pressured into shaving it off. You are my guilty pleasure ha ha x

• 146. At 7:37pm on 16 Feb 2010, Dave wrote:

For Adrian......

An old Chinese proverb you may appreciate, ( and I think your Mom would agree with).
    ..........
    Never cultivate on your face,that which grows wild around your backside.
    ..........
    We have all seen it, some even like it, but it is really time for the beard to go.

Best wishes

Dave from Birmingham.

• 147. At 8:08pm on 16 Feb 2010, mrsjonah wrote:

Blow the beard, although I do think it adds years to Adrain, what about the jeans? They just don't look right or hang right, and certainly with the beard then I don't think he would win the smart stakes. Sitting next to such a smart co-presenter it makes it look like Adrian has not made an effort

• 148. At 11:59pm on 16 Feb 2010, Anna Maria wrote:

Adrian get rid of your beard it is disgusting to look at and it turns my stomach. On your wage you can afford to buy a razor.

• 149. At 7:13pm on 17 Feb 2010, kelly dell wrote:

I love Adrian's beard, I think it really suits him & makes him much more distinguished!

• 150. At 7:59pm on 17 Feb 2010, Neil R wrote:

I don't care about his beard to be honest with you, as long Adrian is hosting the show, that's what's important.
    As long as he doesn't start wearing make up & dresses, (permanantly that is, I don't mind him having a laugh), He's alright by me!
    Regards, Neil.

• 151. At 10:45pm on 17 Feb 2010, David Hayter wrote:

• 152. At 10:58pm on 17 Feb 2010, David Hayter wrote:

I have just had a complaint referred to the moderators. Is this a new form of censorship. I pay a licence fee so should expect to get professional presentations from the programme makers. My comment was not derogatory but pointed out how BBC standards have slipped

• 153. At 11:05pm on 17 Feb 2010, David Hayter wrote:

I have just caught up with tonight's edition of the One Show and I am disgusted to note that standards within the BBC seem to have slipped so low.
    Tonight was the last straw one of the presenters appeared on the sofa looking as if he had slept in his clothes and to compound the problem the zipper on his trousers had not even been fully closed. This is a sad reflection on the current standards at the BBC.

• 154. At 00:13am on 18 Feb 2010, Priam78 wrote:

It's a damn sight better than David Beckhams! Keep it mate. I've just reinstalled mine after 25 years and my wife loves it!

• 155. At 3:28pm on 18 Feb 2010, Irene Norman wrote:

Adrian looks so scruffy with this beard. He looks as though he has just got up to go on the show. Christine really shows you up so smart and clean looking quite the opposite to you. sorry Adrian but you did ask

• 156. At 7:33pm on 18 Feb 2010, d beale wrote:

Just get rid of Adrian, why does he keep looking down? He leans forward to read the autocue, has he trouble with his eyes?

• 157. At 7:47pm on 18 Feb 2010, Tony in Chingford wrote:

Adrian, we love you dearly, but the "Chin Fluff" must go.

Have you monitored your hair line? Beware, every beard I grew resulted in an acceleration of the amount falling out on top!

• 158. At 9:30pm on 18 Feb 2010, Will Carter wrote:

This is not a beard. It is just stubble which makes him look scruffy, exacerbated by the untidy open-neck shirt. Get rid of the stubble and, dare I say, put a tie on again.

• 159. At 09:34am on 25 Feb 2010, malcolmh44 wrote:

• 160. At 11:47am on 25 Feb 2010, Madayre wrote:

I don't mind whether the beard stays or not as long as Adrian does, his style is perfect for the show and I personally would hate to see Chris Evans in his place....totally unsuitable.

• 161. At 9:15pm on 26 Feb 2010, Dave Delderfield wrote:

Hi Adrian, update on my scathing comments of 18 Jan [Black Country refugee status etc] I would like to revise my comments from scathing to complimentary. I think you are making an effort to keep it reasonably tidy, so the next challenge to to complete the "90 day rule". Queen's and Admirality Regs state that a full set must be kept on for at least 90 days. Sorry mate bang goes your sex life for a few more months!

• 162. At 11:23pm on 26 Feb 2010, bendy bowman wrote:

I dont like the beard, but more importantly i will stop watching the show if Adrian leaves. The partnership of him and Christine is the reason I tune in. They make even the dull items fun. Dont get rid of him!

• 163. At 6:22pm on 12 Mar 2010, Geof wrote:

If a bloke want's to have a break from shaving, for whatever reason, why should that be an issue for anyone else? Leave Adrian alone!!!

• 164. At 7:56pm on 12 Mar 2010, domwinch wrote:

PLEASE, PLEASE Adrian, shave that awful beard, it does not suit you and you keep scratching it, not very pleasant! You look so much better without it!
    An admirer of your programme and your personalilty but without the beard please!

• 165. At 7:58pm on 12 Mar 2010, domwinch wrote:

Adrian, DO NOT LEAVE, the show would not be the same without you!

• 166. At 9:42pm on 12 Mar 2010, Julie A wrote:

Keep the beard it suits ya!

• 167. At 10:26pm on 12 Mar 2010, Edesoci wrote:

A beard is not aesthetic I'm afraid. A man with a beard is "non existent" for me . I love the show, consequently I watch it regularly, but I feel very uneasy and frustrated to watch Adrian's bearded face and scruffy appearance. I sympathise with his mother, who must feel very let down, after her request being ignored by Adrian .

• 168. At 2:03pm on 14 Mar 2010, carol-france wrote:

Adrian I just want to say that I've read all the comments about your beard and quite simply - i think you look absolutely ...... lush !

• 169. At 4:32pm on 14 Mar 2010, Danedweller wrote:

• 170. At 9:06pm on 15 Mar 2010, Tracey wrote:

I think Adrian looks much more handsome without the beard but its upto him whether it goes, he certainly does NOT look like a tramp though!! Adrian and Christine make a fantastic team and the one show would definately not be the same without either of them. keep up the good work I love the show.

• 171. At 8:36pm on 17 Mar 2010, Val Woollerson wrote:

With or without a beard Adrian, you are lovely. The One Show is the only TV program I regularly watch and I would be devastated if you or Christine left. The on screen charisma between you is wonderful and you both make it a real feel good expreience. Long may you both continue.

• 172. At 7:40pm on 18 Mar 2010, Stealer wrote:

Keep the beard. It's flattering !!