BBC BLOGS - Football Tactics
« Previous | Main | Next »

Do two-footed tackles need kicking out?

Post categories:

Alistair Magowan - BBC Sport | 13:53 UK time, Monday, 16 January 2012

One of the downsides of being an advocate for hard but fair tackling is that some people automatically assume that your feet are firmly planted in the destroyer's camp and you have no appreciation of the creative aspects of football.

There are more important aspects than winning the ball which players need to learn, such as keeping it in the first place. In fact, speaking to several people, it is not something that is widely coached as a prerogative. But, like Match of the Day pundit Lee Dixon, many supporters value the skill judging by the warm applause that is often heard in grounds up and down the country for a well-timed challenge.

The tackling debate has reached new heights recently because, while most would agree that dangerous tackles have no place in the game, the lines have been blurred as to what constitutes a fair one. While that grey area exists, there are legitimate concerns about whether tackling might be eradicated altogether.

The problem is that terminology such as a "hard but fair" tackle does not exist. Within Fifa's laws a tackle can be penalised if the referee deems it to have been made with "excessive force" no matter whether the player gets the ball or not.

This was illustrated in the case of Everton's Jack Rodwell when he was sent off for taking the ball before he connected with Liverpool's Luis Suarez in the Merseyside derby at the start of October.

Since then, Wolves' Nenad Milijas was sent off for appearing to touch the ball before he clattered Mikel Arteta, Manchester City skipper Vincent Kompany saw red for a two-footed tackle on Nani, although he appeared to take the ball, while Liverpool's Glen Johnson was not penalised for a similar challenge on City's Joleon Lescott.

Calls for consistency have been loud and vocal, although Dixon rightly believes that can only come within a game as different referees will have different opinions.

And the former Arsenal right-back thinks the situation would be made far clearer if two-footed tackles were banned outright, but he says players have a part to play too.

"You're never going to take the debate out of the game entirely, and you shouldn't have to, but I just think players have a responsibility to not make tackles like that and it would be pretty black and white if any two-footed tackles were a straight red card," he says.

"I was a tough tackling full-back and in the past I've made some strong tackles from behind and the side, but in 22 years of playing I never made a two-footed tackle. I don't understand the need to jump in with both feet.

"Players kind of know the situation already but if they took the ambiguous nature out of the law it would clarify it and make it easier for referees."

Dixon has genuine worries that football is travelling down a road where tackling might be banned - and you can see his point.

If a player can be penalised for winning the ball but it is deemed to be too forceful, then there has already been a massive shift compared to when he was playing and where does it lead?

Recently, Real Madrid and Spain midfielder Xabi Alonso said he could not understand the fascination with tackling in this country.

The former Liverpool player claims it is a last resort, and good defenders will concur, but it is interesting to note that a higher percentage of straight red cards in the Premier League are handed out in the middle third of the pitch, suggesting that players are lunging in where perhaps they do not need to.

Interestingly, too, the number of tackles made per game in the Premier League is actually falling, and this season there have been fewer tackles in the English top flight than in Spain, France, Germany and Italy.

That seems like good news, but it also worth recognising that generally speaking defending is well appreciated in this country, even if it is not always immediately evident.

It also underlines that for every young player who models himself on the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, with creativity always being encouraged first, there is also room for those who rely on other instincts such as reading the game or timing.

Dixon says: "When I was playing, Dennis Bergkamp could make good decisions on where to pass the ball and even seeing the pass in the first place, because he was a better player than me. But when it comes to tackling I probably made better decisions about when to close the ball down and when to make the tackle.

"I'm not saying I was a better player than Dennis by any means, but everyone has different assets that they can bring to a team."

Tackling should not be taught before other more important skills like a good first touch or the value of possession. Players should not resort to two-footed lunges either.

While football retains its competitiveness, and players are eager to prevent dribbles, passes or goals, there is always room for a well-timed tackle and with the speed football is played at some of them may be forceful.

So what was a good tackle in the past now draws sanction, and for that reason you have to wonder what effect it will have on football's future, positively or negatively.

You can also discuss more tactical issues and follow me on Twitter

Comments

Page 1 of 6

  • Comment number 1.

    First.

    I was discussing this over that weekend and can't agree more with Lee.

    Common sense as well as the rule book needs to be used.

  • Comment number 2.

    Presumably Xabi Hernandez is referrring to the fact that a tackle only usually happens when the ball is there to be won. Therefore it is only there to be won (and not intercepted) if a player holds onto the ball too long, or their touch is that poor that it leaves that small zone of control.

    The best players avoid the rough physicality of the game because they play the ball skillfully, and with intelligence, never hanging, dwelling or mis controlling.

    The following passages of play, encourage 50-50 style tackling. The loose ball to be won from a lumped goal kick. A throw in taken "down the line" to be flicked on. A player mis controls. A misplaced pass. ETC

    As an Evertonian, it disgusts me at times to see the crowd applaud a last ditch powerful tackle by Sylvain Distin - not realising that it was his poor positioning, decision making and often control that caused the problem in the first place.

  • Comment number 3.

    Does this miss the point? The recent spate of red cards, and subsequent controversy, all have one thing in common, the perceived intent due to the action of the tackle. Most of the examples cited above were two-footed and, when viewed in real-time (as the refs will see it), do not look good. I remember watching MOTD when Rodwell was sent off and when I saw it the first time my immediate reaction was "he's go to go" as he lunged in. Only when you see it in slow-mo and from other angles do you perhaps come to another conclusion.

    So the question should be: Why do these (apparently professional) players keep jumping into tackles in this fashion?

  • Comment number 4.

    #1

    I agree that common sense is definetley needed as well as the rule book. Here, however, you run into problems with consistency.

    When these things are left to the opinion of the referee, there will be situations like Kompany/Johnson. Now i personally dont think this is too much of a problem as this is part of the run and rhyme of football. Tackling is definitely an art and I for one would be very sorry to see it eradicated from the game.

  • Comment number 5.

    I have no problem with the notion of tackling as a last resort, but I would very much like to see the return of 'hard but fair' tackles. If you win the ball before making contact with the other player, I believe that should be considered a fair tackle. If you go through the back of the man to get to the ball, that's a foul. And two-footed lunges should be clamped down on, certainly, but I still feel that Kompany's red was harsh. He never even looked likely to make contact with Nani. Therefore, I would not have called it a dangerous tackle.

    Tackling is a part of the game, just as big as passing, shooting, throw-ins and all those fancy stepovers and whatnot Cristiano Ronaldo likes. Let it stay a part of the game.

  • Comment number 6.

    I don't think the lines have been blurred as to what constitutes a fair tackle as such, the issue is whether someone should get a yellow or a red for a reckless challenge. It has long been the case that simply winning the ball does not automatically mean the tackle is always fair.

    Alonso is right. The likes of Maldini or Baresi only ever went to ground when they really needed to and the best defenders know it is more important to be able to read the game and anticipate where to position yourself. The fact that most reds are from tackles in the middle of the pitch simply proves how unnecesary these usually are.

    IMO the usual reason why players tackle with 2 feet is to protect themselves, they feel they will always come out of the tackle better than the other guy. Usually a self-styled "hard man", but in that respect is really quite cowardly.

    These are the type of tackles the game should be hard on. Too many times someone is booked for simply being a split second slower to the ball than his opponent, making an honest challenge that is not dangerous in the slightest.

  • Comment number 7.

    I cant believe this is still the topic. City get a red card and now we're never going to hear the end of it. This ploy will work wonders for City, what referee will even consider giving out a red card to city now!!!. Kompany's tackle was a red card, the law of the game says so, if you dont like it go play another sport!!!

    even as a united fan i havent heard this much moaning over a red card!!

    and mancini saying he only showed the imaginary red card last night because Rooney did a few weeks ago is a joke, the man needs to grow up!!

  • Comment number 8.

    He's right in that they need to come out and say that all 2 footed challenges are automatic reds. That would solve the problems and consistency angle then and there and people would know where they stood. The trouble is at the moment some refs seem to allow 2 footed challenges and others don't. Further more I fail to understand how the Milijas's and Kompany decisions were allowed to stand after an appeal, but then there's been no subsequent action taken against Lampard or Johnson for their 2 footed challenges (I guess the stupid rule regarding the ref giving Lampard a yellow gets round one of those), but why has Johnson not been subsequently banned??

  • Comment number 9.

    7. At 11:46 17th Jan 2012, King Red wrote:

    Are you joking? as a united fan..... Fergie has been brilliant in playing ref's over the years! not moaning at all I admire it (it's worked and why shouldn't he if he can) but dont bang on about City mate....pot kettle black!

  • Comment number 10.

    and mancini saying he only showed the imaginary red card last night because Rooney did a few weeks ago is a joke, the man needs to grow up!!

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

    Rooney didn't actually wave a card so that arguments flawed anyway. But what was his excuse when he sprinted down the touchline waving a card attempting to Skrtel sent off for nothing more than a trip the game BEFORE the derby?

  • Comment number 11.

    Common sense also says that every player attempting two footed tackles is like someone with two loose missiles out of control, therefore dangerous.

    Abolish two footed tackles altogether, by making them red card offenses. You won't see teams playing with 9-10 players, because no one will attempt them. What you will see is players carrying less knocks, therefore better entertainment.

  • Comment number 12.

    I played at a good amateur level from the mid 70´s to the late 90´s. I was regarded as the best tackler in the team as a midfield ball winner.
    I usually block tackled and stayed on my feet , sliding in meant you took longer to recover to affect the flow of play.
    In nearly 25 years I only made 2 tackles where I jumped in with both feet. I am embarrassed to say both those tackles were made by me in retribution from earlier incidents which resulted in my team mates being injured from other bad tackles.
    I went in 2 footed with the intent of hurting the other player. I only got booked for both of them but i deserved a red card.
    In my opinion 2 footed tackles are a red card offence ,and should be written in the rule books so everyone understands.

  • Comment number 13.

    10. At 11:50 17th Jan 2012, We all follow United wrote:
    and mancini saying he only showed the imaginary red card last night because Rooney did a few weeks ago is a joke, the man needs to grow up!!

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

    Rooney didn't actually wave a card so that arguments flawed anyway. But what was his excuse when he sprinted down the touchline waving a card attempting to Skrtel sent off for nothing more than a trip the game BEFORE the derby?

    -----------------------------

    Even as a City fan I see your argument, Martinez got it right saying it's cultural and accepted else where...he's wrong to do it and will learn over time, but that's not the debate here is it? I appreciate it's the first blog where you've been able to have a good old moan about city for a couple of days! There is no difference in Fergie/Wenger/Etc... abusing the 4th official and screaming at the ref and generally going mental than "waving the imaginary card"...agree he shouldn't do it though!

  • Comment number 14.

    '5, Harry Hotspur.

    "but I still feel that Kompany's red was harsh. He never even looked likely to make contact with Nani."

    Kompany wasn't attempting a tackle because none of his feet was aiming at the ball. His feet were sliding studs on, without any control over their movement, either side of the ball and, if they were aiming at something it was each of Nani's feet.

    Kompany didn't make contact with Nani only because Nani jumped out of the way to protect himself. Think of the speed of the two coming together and you can make your own conclusions.

  • Comment number 15.

    9.At 11:48 17th Jan 2012, swindonbluearmy wrote:
    7. At 11:46 17th Jan 2012, King Red wrote:

    ==============================================================
    thats my point, if united get a red all hell breaks loose, weather it was warrented or not, but i cant recall us ever having an issue dwell for so long when it was clearly the right decision, football pundits etc on the day of the game were 100% it shouldnt have been a red, but after the game when they watched the replay no one could excuse it.

    i think the sad side to this incident is mancini tryinf to have a go at rooney when he's doing the same week in week out, its hard to take the man seriously, he's obvisiouly an idiot to think he can get away with something he's critising someone else for

  • Comment number 16.

    I can't believe how illogical and dishonest the English concept of ''fair play'' is.

    How is waving an imaginary card any worse than verbally calling for a card, which players and managers of all teams do every week? :rollseyes:

    Fans love to complain about supposed refereeing inconsistencies, but when these same fans have no semblance of logic and consistency in their analysis and appreciation of the game, then it's impossible to take their gripes at referees seriously.

    Once these fans actually attach some importance to the concept of consistency in football, then they may have a leg to stand on in regards to refereeing.

  • Comment number 17.

    If you remove tackling from the game, why bother having a game at all? The two footed challenge can be dangerous, I agree, but so can one-footed challenges where the player goes over the ball. Unfortunately referees can be unsighted and linesmen seem to be shirt sighted so interpretation means different outcomes in different cases. What should happen is that games are reviewed afterwards by a PL panel and infringements can be picked up later. This would mean consitency and it would also mean these tackles do not go unpunished. There should be a mandatory ban though. First offence, two game ban, second offence a three game ban and after that a statutory eight game ban. If a player tries four of these tackles in a season then it should be a 20 match ban.
    What I would also ban is players trying to influence the referee by brandishing imaginary cards or 'pointing out' infringements. That should be a one game ban too. Why not adopt the rugby league rule that only the captain on the pitch can speak to officials? That shows more respect. As for managers who brandish cards, a five game touchline ban should be mandatory to teach them a lesson on gamesmanship. I cannot stand the double standards. I remember Ronaldo being sent off in a Manchester derby for a two footed challenge on Andy Cole. He got a three match ban which Utd appealed because no contact was made. They didn't see it the same for Kompany. Double standards. Whatever happened to 'bringing the game into disrepute'?

  • Comment number 18.

    10.At 11:50 17th Jan 2012, We all follow United wrote:
    and mancini saying he only showed the imaginary red card last night because Rooney did a few weeks ago is a joke, the man needs to grow up!!
    ============================
    yeah i know, he held up 2 fingers to indicate a 2 footed tackle, mancini may need glasses

  • Comment number 19.

    I think the rule should be clarified from 'excessive force', because I think you can make a dangerous tackle without lots of force, and safe challenge that is forceful.
    What should characterise a 'dangerous' tackle is if it is two footed, with studs up, or higher than the ankle.
    I remember feeling sorry for players like Martin Taylor, whan he injured Eduardo, partly because it would have been horrible to injure someone like that and partly because of the vitriol he recieved from certain sources. The fact is although he never meant to hurt Eduardo, the tackle was dangerous. Intent should not come into it (apart from obviously if the intent is to hurt).
    Good, well timed tackling is great, exciting and skilful. Dangerous tackling is not. I saw no skill or timing evident in Kompany's challenge on Nani or Johnson's the other day. Players should not have to break bones for red cars to be dished out, and whether the player avoids the challenge or it misses the man and 'gets the ball' should not be relevant when deciding if a tackle is 'fair'.

  • Comment number 20.

    15. At 11:59 17th Jan 2012, King Red wrote:

    It's certainly not clever I'll give you that...Top of the league with loads of pressure though, as everyone likes to point out AF has been there and done it and RM hasn't (not here anyway) Maybe he's getting twitchy!

  • Comment number 21.

    #17, Stretford Ranger,

    "If you remove tackling from the game, why bother having a game at all? "

    For moments like last night when Aguero tore apart the entire Wigan defense with absolutely stunning close control?

  • Comment number 22.

    The comment in my article should read linesmen seem to be SHORT sighted and not shirt sighted. I need glasses!!

  • Comment number 23.

    2.At 11:28 17th Jan 2012, tomefccam wrote:
    _____________

    Paolo Maldini and Sacchi's Milan team were adept at zonal marking and positioning that in most cases they were so good they did not need to make a tackle.

    Same thing about young Phil Jones, everyone claps when he makes a last ditch tackle, but fail to realise it was his poor positioning and anticipation resulted in the player getting space ahead of him.

  • Comment number 24.

    21. At 12:08 17th Jan 2012, Reds19 wrote:

    Off topic....but would you swap Kun for Rooney ? ;)

  • Comment number 25.

    I'm waiting for the day a defender steps to one side and waves a striker through because he daren't go near him.

  • Comment number 26.

    If you remove tackling it would be easy for players to tear a defence apart. Let's face it Maradona did it to England in 1986 when he waltzed through the team and not one of them attempted a tackle. You would end up with scorelines like 7-6. Tackling is part and parcel of football and to remove it puts it in the 'exhibition match' category.

  • Comment number 27.

    18. At 12:06 17th Jan 2012, King Red wrote:

    yeah i know, he held up 2 fingers to indicate a 2 footed tackle, mancini may need glasses
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

    You're clearly being pedantic and splitting hairs.

    He was indicating it was two-footed in an attempt to persuade the referee that it was a red card offence, which is no different to waving an imaginary card.

  • Comment number 28.

    16.At 12:06 17th Jan 2012, The_soul_patch_of_David_Villa wrote:
    ===================================================
    not today again ;)

    theres always going to be slight inconsistencies in regards to referees, that will never go away, but with a manager of a prem league club constanly waving for cards, blaming everyone but his own players for sending offs etc and publicly having a go at wayne rooney for some queer reason all while not being able to control one of his own players (ballotelli) is a joke, maybe the worst example i have ever heard was mancini's today, he waved for a card last night because rooney appartently did so during the city game (even though the video's show rooney indicating a 2 footed tackle not a red card) madness, absolute madness from mancini, he's as childish as ballotelli

  • Comment number 29.

    Not even 30 post's in and it's a city bashing fest again... Do two-footed tackles need kicking out? was the topic not Man City are a disgrace...discuss!

    Actually agree with Soul on this one, waving a card and screaming at anyone who will listen....waving a card or running over to the ref saying "two footed" (which clearly means "two footed send him off" is exactly the same thing! why harp on about it! ?

  • Comment number 30.

    It would just be easier to ban two footed tackles. As dixon pointed out and many others who have played, there is no need to use two feet to tackle unless your intention is to hurt the opposing players with or without winning the ball.

    Good defenders should be able to read the game and position themselves accordingly. The fact that most red cards occur in the middle third of the pitch suggests that it is from players that do not anticipate the game as well as they should.

  • Comment number 31.

    27.At 12:14 17th Jan 2012, The_soul_patch_of_David_Villa wrote:
    18. At 12:06 17th Jan 2012, King Red wrote:

    yeah i know, he held up 2 fingers to indicate a 2 footed tackle, mancini may need glasses
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

    You're clearly being pedantic and splitting hairs.

    He was indicating it was two-footed in an attempt to persuade the referee that it was a red card offence, which is no different to waving an imaginary card.
    ==========================================================
    so hold on, let me get this right, in every game when theres a 2 footed tackle, or even a tackle that warrents a yellow do players not make sure the ref is aware?!?!!?

    as for my comment about the indication of a 2 footed tackle, i was only pointing out that mancini has said rooney had waved an imaginary card when he actually didnt.

  • Comment number 32.

    30. At 12:19 17th Jan 2012, eduard_streltsov_ghost wrote:

    Agreed..may as well just ban them full stop. Intent or not just ban it then there is no arguing!

  • Comment number 33.

    No. 12

    Can't agree with you more. I played any position along both wings so was on the receiving end of tackles and put in some tackles too. I rarely ever slid in to tackle, sliding to block a cross more than anything. I found staying on my feet meant I could get a second bite of the cherry. Sliding tackles do have their place though.

    Two footed tackles should be banned but there also needs to be consistancy in refereeing too.

    I also feel where a player goes in with an intent to hurt the other player but winning the ball fairly should be looked at too (anyone that has played will know about these tackles). I think they touch on that with the excessive force rule.

  • Comment number 34.

    29.At 12:17 17th Jan 2012, swindonbluearmy wrote:
    Not even 30 post's in and it's a city bashing fest again... Do two-footed tackles need kicking out? was the topic not Man City are a disgrace...discuss!

    Actually agree with Soul on this one, waving a card and screaming at anyone who will listen....waving a card or running over to the ref saying "two footed" (which clearly means "two footed send him off" is exactly the same thing! why harp on about it! ?
    =======================================
    because the city manger seems to be!

    if mancini would shut up about it and stop waving cards then maybe the subject would go away

    "do as i say, but dont do what i do" should be city's motto

  • Comment number 35.

    In an ideal world the rules would be relaxed to the point where if you get the ball before the man, there's no problem. Football is a contact sport and as such there is always a risk of injury - that's the way it should be.

    However, today belongs to the world of health and safety gone mad so I expect that sooner or later the slide tackle will be outlawed completely.

  • Comment number 36.

    28. At 12:14 17th Jan 2012, King Red wrote:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

    But that's pretty much the same as what Wenger's been doing for the last 15 years. The staple of Ferguson's ''mind games'' over the years has been to intentionally criticise someone else for doing what he or his team are also guilty of.

    It's pretty obvious what Mancini's doing: he criticises Glen Johnson's tackle because he saw one of his players harshly sent off for a similar tackle a few days earlier.

    He brings up Rooney's antics because he sees him and the other Manchester United players consistently get away with harassing and bullying the referee into making decisions in their favour.

    He's saying that if they are allowed to get away with it, then he might as well, too. Or if Kompany's tackle was a red-card, then Johnson's should have been, as well.

    He can't control Balotelli because he appears to be slightly odd. That's no different to the way that Ferguson is unable to control Rooney (unless you count placating him with a £250,000 p/w contract as ''controlling him'').

  • Comment number 37.

    32.At 12:21 17th Jan 2012, swindonbluearmy wrote:
    30. At 12:19 17th Jan 2012, eduard_streltsov_ghost wrote:

    Agreed..may as well just ban them full stop. Intent or not just ban it then there is no arguing!
    ______________

    Yeah at least it stops the age old debate of "it's not a red because he won the ball with two feet". It would be irrelevant and provide the consistency that referees need. It was funny in the other blog about referees that fans would often clamour for the referee to be "consistent" whilst using his "common sense".

  • Comment number 38.

    31. At 12:19 17th Jan 2012, King Red wrote:

    so hold on, let me get this right, in every game when theres a 2 footed tackle, or even a tackle that warrents a yellow do players not make sure the ref is aware?!?!!?
    _________________________________

    I believe the majority of players and managers try to influence or question the ref during the game.
    As previously stated it would be eradicated if only the captain was allowed to communicate with the ref on the pitch. Anyone else gesturing, swearing, complaining to the ref should get a yellow card.
    Putting a microphone on the ref would also help, it would make players think twice about what they say, or do , as it would be recorded for prosperity

  • Comment number 39.

    34. At 12:23 17th Jan 2012, King Red wrote:

    That's still not providing any insight as to why harassing the referee and "pointing out" that it was a red card offence and talking about it in the post match interview is any different to "waving a card" ???? Mancini does not believe that GJ should of been sent off but was incensed that he wasn't purely because the FA state it was a red card offence (hence not over turning the decision of Kompany)

    And I'm sorry but a fan of MU with AF in charge has no right to bang on about moaning/complaining/influencing referee's without admitting that AF is the Jedi Master of complaining....it's just accepted because he's the old guard! Would you lot be complaining about him if we were mid table? of course not...just dont like being threatened so need to smash any one or anything to do with city to make excuses just in case you dont win everything like normal!

  • Comment number 40.

    Firstly I don't understand why any player goes in to a tackle 2 footed! It is the most unnatural way to tackle and a player must make a concious decision to do it.

    An easy way to stop the "inconsistency" is to just say that if you go in 2 footed then it is a red card. Then nobody can complain.

    The game does need to be careful though because we don't want to lose tackling all together and end up playing touch football and have a passionless game.

  • Comment number 41.

    At 11:39 17th Jan 2012, stevie_bhoy wrote:

    Alonso is right. The likes of Maldini or Baresi only ever went to ground when they really needed to and the best defenders know it is more important to be able to read the game and anticipate where to position yourself.

    _________________________________

    Good Defenders: Clean sheets
    Great Defenders: Clean shorts

  • Comment number 42.

    Tackling is not the biggest problem, cheating is.

    What needs dealing with is the blatant wrestling every time a corner takes place.

    I don't hear ANY manager telling the media that his players have been told NOT to dive to the ground anytime an opposing player comes near them.

    APPLY the rules that are there already.

  • Comment number 43.

    31. At 12:19 17th Jan 2012, King Red wrote:

    so hold on, let me get this right, in every game when theres a 2 footed tackle, or even a tackle that warrents a yellow do players not make sure the ref is aware?!?!!?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Yes. Which makes the English obsession with dishonestly chastising ''Johnny foreigner'' for waving an imaginary card completely ludicrous, when ''good, honest English pros'' are doing this in a verbal manner, week in and - in all fairness - week out.

    People need to get their views on fair-play straight. If someone considers it to be unsporting for a player or manager to attempt to influence the referee into giving a fellow pro a card, then they should be equally against someone doing this in verbal and non-verbal forms.

    But, the English dishonestly elevate the imaginary card waiving (because it comes from abroad) to be one of the worst things that someone can do, while happily accepting the more traditional English method of shouting at the referee and telling him to send off a player.

  • Comment number 44.

    20.At 12:08 17th Jan 2012, swindonbluearmy wrote:
    15. At 11:59 17th Jan 2012, King Red wrote:

    It's certainly not clever I'll give you that...Top of the league with loads of pressure though, as everyone likes to point out AF has been there and done it and RM hasn't (not here anyway) Maybe he's getting twitchy!
    ============================================================
    mancini wont do a keegan, but he's doing himself no favours.....
    people can say fergie complains to the ref's, which he does of course, but i cant remember him going on about 1 subject for any longer than it takes for the next game to come round. even the welbeck pen that should have resulted in a red as he was the last man didnt seem to bring much out from fergie, he pointed it out but only to the degree.

  • Comment number 45.

    completely agree - ban 2 footed tackles, why would anyone jump in with 2 feet first anyway?!
    Other than that - just take the referees to task after a game if they fail to give a red card for a 2 footed tackle.

  • Comment number 46.

    If you put a blanket ban on two-footed and ''robust'' tackling, then at least Stoke City would be relegated.

    So it does have its advantages.

  • Comment number 47.

    Any tackle that is 2 footed and off the ground should be a straight red whether there is contact or not. those are the tackles that break legs. Anyone sent off for one should be banned for 5 games. Diving in at someone with 2 feet is attempted assult imo. It is just as bad if not worse than aiming a punch at someone. There is no place for it in the game whatsoever.

    Forceful, well timed, sliding, one footed challenges should be fine though, if the ball is won, as it is a vital skill that defenders and midfielders need sometimes. However if the ball is not won then the ref should decide how bad it was and give a yellow or red as he sees fit.

    The rules need to be clear. ANY 2 footed challenge off the ground should be straight red. The PFA should write to all the players and tell them to stop doing these stupid challenges.

    I also think that at the beginning of the game the ref should address both teams, like he does between 2 boxers in a fight, and let them know what he expects from the players. ie "if i see any shirt pulling in the penalty box i wont hesitate to give a penalty" and "I wont tolerate being surrounded by players. If I say go away then do it or I will book you" etc etc

  • Comment number 48.

    44. At 12:33 17th Jan 2012, King Red wrote:

    people can say fergie complains to the ref's, which he does of course, but i cant remember him going on about 1 subject for any longer than it takes for the next game to come round
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

    But you already hit the nail on the head earlier when you said:

    ''This ploy will work wonders for City, what referee will even consider giving out a red card to city now!!!''

    This is exactly what Ferguson has been doing for 20 years, and now you don't like it because Mancini is playing him at his own game, only Roberto's even better at it!

  • Comment number 49.

    Regarding the Johnson incident, I don't see it as a two footed tackle, it is a two footed interception.

    The pass is under hit and Johnson lunges at a space between the two players where the ball is there to be intercepted. Realising the pass is under hit, the Man City player moves towards the ball, moving himself closer to Johnson's interception which results in the interception looking like a dangerous two footed tackle. In reality though the Man City player was never going to reach the ball before Johnson so it was never a two footed tackle, it was a two footed interception.

    Just thought I'd add that as making the rule "ban two footed tackles" would still not make that decision clear cut. The truth is the rules of football are far too subjective and until everything is made objective you'll always have doubt. The FA review panel though could start to actually use a bit more common sense and not just constantly back heat of the moment decisions without proper consideration.

  • Comment number 50.

    #40
    We don't want to lose tackling from the game but there is an art to tackling. I think the days of 'the reducer' are long gone and players need to learn what's acceptable and in my view two-footed tackles are not.

    On the flip side, the law makers need to make clear what is acceptable and what isn't to try and avoid confusion and inconsistency.

  • Comment number 51.

    I'm slightly worried at how many times Lee uses the defence of "he seemed to win the ball first".

    You would have though that an ex Professional would have read the rules of Football at least once in his career and have realised no where does it say that you can tackle as you want as long as you win the ball first.

    Not to say all these tackles were reckless. I didn't pay much attention to Rodwell's or Milijas' red cards, however I seen many replays of Kompany's and Johnson's tackles.
    Kompany was a red without question. Watch it in real time, he tackles with his right foot, then look at the still shots and his left foot quite obviously is half way up Nani's shin with studs up.

    Johnson was not a red card. It wasn't even a tackle. He lunged to intercept the ball. And it could not have been called dangerous because he quite clearly slides in at right angle to the player (as opposed to head on) so that his momentum would not force him in to the player.

    Opinions are unbiased as they come from a Chelsea fan (Who thinks we were very lucky not to have Lampard sent off for a dangerous tackle the other week)

  • Comment number 52.

    By comparison, the game is faster and the technical ability of the player receiving the ball is generally better, as well as team's ability to pass the ball. This means that the number of opportunity for a player to tackle is graetly reduced. Watch how many people get to lay a tackle on David Villa or Luka Modric - defenders never get set to make a challange because they are constantly chasing and adjusting to the twists and turns of the ball carrier.
    Good close control - no chance to tackle.
    Well placed pass - no chance to tackle.
    Speed and close control of the ball on the run - no chance to tackle.
    To be a good tackler today - you need to be better than ever before, that's why so many people can't quite get it right!

  • Comment number 53.

    39.At 12:28 17th Jan 2012, swindonbluearmy wrote:
    34. At 12:23 17th Jan 2012, King Red wrote:
    ==============================================================
    a debate is a debate i suppose.

    my point is that all managers will have a go, all players will point out to a ref when they see a bad tackle, thing is you dont go on and on and on about it.

    example: united lost the prem a few years back to 2 offside goals, any abu's wanting to yap about this subject will get no response from me, we conceded an offside goal at stamford and one at old trafford, lost the title fergie mentioned it once!
    kompany tackles with 2 feet off the ground, has mancini released the book yet?!?!?

  • Comment number 54.

    48.At 12:38 17th Jan 2012, The_soul_patch_of_David_Villa wrote:
    _________________

    There's more tackles per game in La Liga so that can only mean that the level of defending is poorer?

  • Comment number 55.

    But, the English dishonestly elevate the imaginary card waiving (because it comes from abroad) to be one of the worst things that someone can do, while happily accepting the more traditional English method of shouting at the referee and telling him to send off a player.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------

    I don't think it's the actual act of Mancini waving a card that annoys people. It's the hypocrisy of complaining about other players attempting to get his players sent off whilst personally doing it himself 4 games in a row.

    I think everyone in football (players, managers, officials, fans, governing bodies) all suffer from that though.

  • Comment number 56.

    54. At 12:43 17th Jan 2012, eduard_streltsov_ghost wrote:

    There's more tackles per game in La Liga so that can only mean that the level of defending is poorer?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

    :scratcheshead: and :looksaroundinaperplexedmanner:

    What's that got to do with Mancini's ''mind games''?

    And to think that people accuse me of turning these blogs into a debate about La Liga! :rollseyes: and :slapsface:

  • Comment number 57.

    the problem is of course the only fans who thought Kompany's tackle was a red are Man U fans. I think that tells the whole story really. Firstly, their knowledge of football is zero, secondly the reception was probably poor in Malaysia or thailand or wherever they are from so they probably didn't see the tackle properly, just heard about it and as usual start complaining!

  • Comment number 58.

    #57
    And the one's who say it wasn't a red are City fans or fans that don't like United.

    What's your point?

  • Comment number 59.

    48.At 12:38 17th Jan 2012, The_soul_patch_of_David_Villa wrote:
    like when???

    scholes sent off against city, fergie said it was a stupid tackle
    evan sent off against city, fergie sadi it was a stupid tackle
    vidic off 3 times against torres with out going to ground once, fergie mentioned after the match, then never again.
    nani's red against aston villa, not a word

  • Comment number 60.

    55. At 12:46 17th Jan 2012, We all follow United wrote:

    It's the hypocrisy of complaining about other players attempting to get his players sent off whilst personally doing it himself 4 games in a row.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

    That's ''mind games''. Ferguson and Wenger have continuously stated myopic, intentionally hypocritical comments about a decision.

    For example, Ferguson may make a comment like ''it's tough for the away team to get those decisions at Anfield'', knowing full well that his team has benefited more than any other through favourable home decisions.

    These ''mind games'' are intended to exert pressure on others and to wind people up. Using hypocrisy is always a sure-fire way of winding people up.

  • Comment number 61.

    59. At 12:50 17th Jan 2012, King Red wrote:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I'm talking about how Ferguson tries to exert pressure on a referee in a forthcoming fixture by highlighting a particular aspect which he wants clamped down on.

  • Comment number 62.

    The issue in the article isnt consistency, its what are the rules?? If you ban 2 footed tackling altogether, you will have consistency. Kompany and Johnsons made the same tackle, one saw red the other didn't as the refs saw them in different light. However, if you ban 2 fotted tackling, which can be very dangerous, both players would have been sent off and there would be no argument, and no petulent tweeting and interviews between players and managers. Most people are unable to put their bias to one side when looking at things, which means you cant get through to them. I agree with Dixon, ban 2 footed tackling altogether and that removes the grey area, refs will be more consistent.

  • Comment number 63.

    56.At 12:47 17th Jan 2012, The_soul_patch_of_David_Villa wrote:
    __________

    Not sure why you're looking around? Looking for the elephant in the room?

    The blog mentioned a comparison of la liga to other top leagues in europe, so it makes logical sense to use the stats to compare the defences.

    Also this blog is on tackling, not Mancini. :rolleyes: :shakehead:

  • Comment number 64.

    53: King Red, Man U really lost the league title because of 2 referee decisions?! What a ridiculous thing to say.

  • Comment number 65.

    57.At 12:48 17th Jan 2012, swintondude wrote:
    if kompanys tackle was a fair tackle someone needs there head checked.

    i seen the same type of tackle many times before the utd v city game, usually they all end with a red, again id love to see the rolls reveresed in that fixture, there is no way mancini would have said it wasnt a red if nani had have went in on kompany with the same tackle.

    defenders in the prem know the diff between a fair tackle and an unfair, if you come off the ground completely using both feet its a red..... wheres the confusion with that?!?!? weather your a united fan or not!

  • Comment number 66.

    64.At 12:55 17th Jan 2012, Thrashball wrote:
    53: King Red, Man U really lost the league title because of 2 referee decisions?! What a ridiculous thing to say.

    this is what i mean, cant complain even when its a clear as day.

    chelsea scored 2 offside goals, did they not? they won the title by 1 point remember, so yes 2 referee decisions was enough!!

    how can eveyone have a prob with ref's apart form united fans!!!!

  • Comment number 67.

    57.At 12:48 17th Jan 2012, swintondude wrote:
    _______________

    As opposed to the same 10 city fans (all probably related) watching it at the wastelands?

  • Comment number 68.

    For example, Ferguson may make a comment like ''it's tough for the away team to get those decisions at Anfield'', knowing full well that his team has benefited more than any other through favourable home decisions.

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

    Does he know it full well though? Or is it just a rather lazy statement that people reguarly roll out just so they don't have to admit that United's success is actually down to them being quite good?

    Some would say a rather pub-standard comment from a poster that spends too much time listening to drivel from Guillem Balague, ensnared in the tentacles of the Marca octopus?

  • Comment number 69.

    63. At 12:55 17th Jan 2012, eduard_streltsov_ghost wrote:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

    :bangsheadagainstwall:

    You were replying to a comment I was making about Mancini's ''mind games''. :splashesfacewithcoldwater: :momentarilycalmsdown:

    I made no comment correlating the number of tackles made per game with the quality of defending.

    More tackles are made per game in La Liga because it's a more attacking and technical league. The EPL is full of games where the ball is bobbling around in midfield or hoofed aimlessly back on forth, thus limiting the number of tackles which are made per game.

  • Comment number 70.

    When is a two footed lunge a 'tackle' or a 'block' - watching some of the defenders flying in to block shots you just hope they dont collide with other players. In all cases they are uncontrolled slides with two feet off the ground - should they get a red card. I thought Kompany's red card was harsh but he didnt need to go two-footed as he was clearly going to make the tackle before Nani got to the ball IMHO.
    Regarding card waving and other stuff, doesnt retrospective use of video evidence for Suarez case open the gates for citing players post-match for offences against RESPECT agenda - I'd like to see a lot of yellow/red cards after the game for 'ungentlemanly conduct' and bringing the game into disrepute.

  • Comment number 71.

    #58

    thats correct, City fans, ex footballers (I still haven't heard one yet say it was a red, even old Man U players), current footballers, and EVERY OTHER fan except a United fan (whether every other fan hates United I don't know, I imagine so though. whats not hate)

  • Comment number 72.

    60.At 12:51 17th Jan 2012, The_soul_patch_of_David_Villa wrote:
    ________________
    "Using hypocrisy is always a sure-fire way of winding people up."

    A glimpse into your thoughts patches?

  • Comment number 73.

    consistency is always the problem but not necessarily from refs.

    kompany red looked a bit harsh but you could see how it could be given.

    johnson tackle looked much more dangerous but you can say 2 different refs therefore 2 different perspecitives.

    what is unforgiveable is that the FA upheld Kompany's red card and didn't take retrospective action on the ref who didn't punish johnshon. either both players were in the wrong, or both refs were in the wrong and it cannot possibly argued otherwise.

  • Comment number 74.

    66: It's a silly argument as if that decision wasn't made what's to suggest that everything would have remained the same? Surely Chelsea might have felt aggrieved and scored 7 more. It also only takes into account 2 instances over the entire season. When people discuss instances like this they also only reference mistakes that directly led to the goal or lack of. In the recent Man U Man City match lots of people were pointing the mistake in not giving the 2nd pen but ignored the fact that Welbeck handled the ball in the lead up to the free kick for the 2nd Man U goal. Wasn't the direct thing before hand but it would have changed the course of the macth. It's far to complex to be able to say what would happen.

  • Comment number 75.

    66. At 13:00 17th Jan 2012, King Red wrote:

    chelsea scored 2 offside goals, did they not? they won the title by 1 point remember, so yes 2 referee decisions was enough!!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Was the goal at Stamford Bridge offside? I thought the debate was over the free-kick that led to the goal.

    It's a completely spurious argument to suggest that Chelsea only won at Old Trafford because of an offside goal. Chelsea were 1-0 up after 78 minutes when Drogba scored the offside goal. You cannot possibly say that United would have scored if that goal had been ruled out, due to the fact that the following sequence of events wouldn't have unfolded the same.

    Play would have restarted at 1-0 to Chelsea, with a United free-kick, rather than 2-0 to Chelsea and a United kick-off. The causal chain of events would have been completely different; for all you know, Chelsea may have gone on to win 3-0 if the goal had been disallowed.

  • Comment number 76.

    69.At 13:02 17th Jan 2012, The_soul_patch_of_David_Villa wrote:
    _________________

    Or because every 2nd touch in La Liga outside of top 3 is a tackle??

  • Comment number 77.

    Present day football already resembles netball in terms of a lack of physicality, football was and always should always remain a contact sport.
    We all wanted the scything tackles from behind sorting out, but the latest round of red cards only highlights the lack of understanding and practical experience lacking in referees and law makers in general.
    People like Mike Riley point to the fact that more goals are scored today, well he should realise there are two ends to the field and good strong defending can and should be admired equally with forward play.
    Could someone please explain to me where you are supposed to put your other leg when going to the ground tackling, we even get stupid quotes like" he did win the ball first" surely that validates contact made after winning the ball if it is not reckless. The Vincent Company tackle involved Nani, he goes down in a strong wind, he neither went down or complained, yet the red card was waved. Which generally produces another false result and less enjoyment for people who pay a lot of money to watch the game.
    Say what you will, there has been some directive from the cobweb brigade at the FA to stimulate this spate of cards, as English, we enjoy our game with some physical presence as well as artistry on the ball, so for gods sake back off FA and get real.
    While the FA are responsible for training and selecting officials, the standard of the refs will remain poor. Hardly a one of them has played at any level as a professional. It is like asking a man who cant drive to enter a Grand Prix.

  • Comment number 78.

    I am so close to giving up on football. Why care about a sport that no longer cares about the fans? Stadiums are dull and atmospheres are terrible 99% of games. Money and sponsors now rule. Look at Newcastle for example, not only is St james now called sports direct arena but also Mike Ashley has decided to plaster his logo everywhere the eye can see! New stadiums are built with hundreds of executive boxes to extract as much money as possible where as over in Germany they build stands to hold 5,000, 10,000 or even 20,000 safe standing for the fans. Tackling is on the brink of extinction which would be a huge shame. Since when did players have to be protected so much? I hate how everyone just accepts that diving is part of the game and actual applaud players of staying on their feet when this is what should be done anyway.

    Sorry for the moan! Massive shout out to HF05 palace ultras for trying to make a difference. Great Tifo and atmosphere against Cardiff the other night!

  • Comment number 79.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 80.

    Seems most of the commentators were being partisan due to club allegiances. The rule is straight forward and don't think there is much to be debated. Any two footed tackle is straight red card. As an ex footballer, I know that most footballers go into two footed tackles in desperation, with intent to harm and/or destroy other players. This should not be allowed.

    Most players red carded for this offence would not agree but rewind the footages, see the venom in their eyes when going into those tackles, it is done with total conviction and should thus deserve a red card.

  • Comment number 81.

    72. At 13:04 17th Jan 2012, eduard_streltsov_ghost wrote:

    A glimpse into your thoughts patches?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

    I'm not a hypocrite, nor do I intend to wind people up.

    People who get wound-up by my shrewd, erudite and knowledgeable observations of the beautiful game only have themselves to blame, as the importance you put on someone else's words and thoughts is entirely within your control.

  • Comment number 82.

    #71
    Although the ref thought it was and so did the rule makers. So it would appear United fans were right ;)

  • Comment number 83.

    Saying automatic reds for two footed tackles is fine, but it's an automatic yellow for tackles from behind and referees just ignore that rule (Foy for example failed to book Giggs or De Jong for blatant tackles from behind).
    Rooney was trying to get the player sent off, so was Mancini. Both should be punished, but neither will be.

  • Comment number 84.

    76

    U must not watch La Liga then, all teh teams out there no matter how strong they are play the ball on teh floor and all have fantastic touch and technique.

    The control of most players in the prem is awful.

    There are more tackles as the game is played on the floor in Spain and France and Germany ......... In England there are so many high balls and long clearances.

  • Comment number 85.

    I disappointed by the amount of fans on here who are of the opinion that there has to be contact, and hard contact at that to be a red card. The law is all about control (or lack of) and aggression in the challenge. Once you are in the air and going in with both feet, the tackle is going to be harder than necessary and you have little control.

    Kompany was rightly sent off, and Johnson should have been sent off too.

    Mancini needs to get off to specsavers (Other opticians are available) because Rooney did appeal to the ref, but didn't wave a card. He held up 2 fingers and indicated that the challenge was 2 footed. Quite a feat for our Wayne ;)

  • Comment number 86.

    Afternoon chiefs

    I was at the Wigan v City game last night, maybe a seperate blog on imaginary card waving is in order too?

    Good to see many of you agree that two-footed tackling should be banned to make the picture clearer. Im with no.6 stevie_bhoy I actually think they are done for protection and are cowardly.

    I like this analogy of keeping your shorts clean and good defenders should not need to slide in and I agree with this, but there will always be times when a midfielder needs to recover. Also, tackling doesnt always mean going to ground. What about dispossessing a player who is running at you?

    I do find it interesting that tackling is dropping in the Premier League and other Euro leagues have seen more tackles per game this season. I might have to check how fouls also apply in this case too.

    Oh yeah and no.51 Tom, it is me saying this, not Lee Dixon. Dixon is quoted in the piece so fire you ire my way if you wish!

  • Comment number 87.

    85. At 13:15 17th Jan 2012, Born_Again wrote:

    But that is EXACTLY the same as waving a card... the suggestion that the player should be sent off...there is no difference! I'm not even defending RM they are both trying to get the players sent off and both in the wrong...but to defend one over the other is ludicrous!

  • Comment number 88.

    Tackling is an integral part of the game. Don't be fooled by what they say, it's the pundits who want it removed from the game. No tackling = more chances on goal which is what many people want. The focus on attacking and "wonder goals" is skewing the available technology and rules in favour of the attacker which can only come at the expense of defenders and goalkeepers.
    The tackling issue is a non-starter, the PL, FA, EUFA and FIFA all need to sort out the scourge of diving and surrounding the ref. As a defender you cannot tackle in the box any longer unless you're 99% sure you'll get the ball (or play in Manchester) as the striker will go down with the slightest of slight breezes and get a penalty more often than not. Should a penalty not be given the game is allowed to continue meaning the striker does not lose out by trying his luck!

    tl;dr - sort out diving and tackling will return.

  • Comment number 89.

    How do we know Mancini was waving an imaginary red card ? What if it was an imaginary yellow one ?

  • Comment number 90.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 91.

    89. At 13:21 17th Jan 2012, doctorstevieg wrote:
    How do we know Mancini was waving an imaginary red card ? What if it was an imaginary yellow one ?

    ----------------

    HAHA brilliant!

  • Comment number 92.

    89

    Thats brilliant

  • Comment number 93.

    On a slightly different note but linked, I did comment last year that the reason Arsenal get so many injuries from tackling is because none of their players know how to tackle. They are always going to be likely to get broken legs if they leave their legs dangling in tackles. Maybe if tackling was taught as passionately as passing then less injuries and less bookings would occur?

  • Comment number 94.

    #82

    Correct, the ref gave a Red card for it and as we all know refs are always correct (see King Red's ludicrous comments about 2 offside shouts costing them the premier league!)

    As for the rule makers, are you saying that FIFA has issued a statment saying that the ref was correct and it was a red? Or are you saying that spineless FA have yet again defended an attrocious decision made by a ref?

    #84
    I agree totally, most prem league players have the deft touch of a giraffe on ice!

  • Comment number 95.

    87 - If Rooney has said "That's 2 footed" how does that equate to "Send him off"? Especially if no-one (us, players, refs and Mancini) is sure what does and doesn't constitute a red card? Players appeal for decisions, it's natural and part of the game. But there is a difference between waving a card (and not for the first time this season Roberto) and yelling because someone has just jumped in on a team mate. Or is every word spoken by an opposition player to the ref an attempt to get a player sent off? I've no doubt RM thought Rooney was trying get Kompany sent off, but to do it last night and blame Rooney is pathetic.

  • Comment number 96.

    88.

    Couldn't agree more. Lose the diving and the blatant cheating and we will see football return.

    Also need to enforce the law of booking players that dive and also players who surround the referee. Like in rugby the ref should only communicate with captains of both teams on the pitch.

    And on the two footed tackling front, straight red card even if the ball is won as tackling nowadays with the studs being developed is dangerous and could end players careers!

    As a Liverpool fan I agree that Johnson was very lucky as his was actually worse than Kompany's! Two footed and well off the ground = out of control!!!

  • Comment number 97.

    After reading the comments and all the BBC blogs/articles about tackling recently, I am completely lost as to what the issue actually is?

    1. People are moaning about consistency and common sense (which one obviously contradicts the other) in terms of the referee's decisions.
    2. Issues with whether a tackle is "fair" or whether it is "dangerous".
    3. Whether a two-footed tackle should automatically warrant a red card etc.
    4. Problems with managers/players waving their hands in the air to influence the ref or whatever.

    Lets face it, this hasn’t just come on overnight, we have had these problems for ages, it’s just a coincidence that it has happened a couple of times lately and now it is a huge topic.

    1. As mentioned previously by others, you are always going to have mistakes when the ref only as a split-second to look at an incident and then he has to make a decision, this could be helped with video technology but that isn’t going to happen any time soon, and there is no point complaining about a ref's decision because the game has finished and nothing will change the result. If you can do a better job, quit moaning and apply to be a ref yourself.

    2/3. It used to be a "fair" tackle if you got the ball, but now there is an element of whether that tackle could harm the other player. As with Kompany, although he got the ball and Nani got out of the way, it would have been dangerous if there was contact, and as it was a Manchester Derby, I imagine the ref was making a statement to say "I'm not having any tackles like that today", hence the red card. I do believe that the rules should be made clearer for refs, players and fans to all understand what is a "fair" or "dangerous" tackle and whether it is a red/yellow card offence.

    4. Does anyone really think a ref is going to take any notice of players surrounding him waving hands about or even a shouting manager on the touchline waving an imaginary card about? Let's face it, the ref has already made is mind up and he won't listen to what others say unless it's another official. It's like if your a teacher surrounded by children shouting "he started it" and "no he started it" after a fight in the playground, you will have already made your mind up what your going to do and who was at fault.

  • Comment number 98.

    The Kompany tack was to block or trap the ball not tackle the United player & I'm a United fan.

    IF the decision had been given by the linesmans (assistant referee) viewpoint doubt a card would've been shown AND that is my problem with all this. What do assistant referees actually do? In this case the perspective if any, given was from the wrong side of the pitch.

    On Sunday a Swansea player managed to stop a ball going out of play heading it back into the six yard box. The incorrect decision that the ball in fact crossed the bye line was made by the assistant linesman on the far side standing level with the 6 yard line! He must have a bionic eye, is all I can say!

    My suggestion 4 assistant referees and get them to work more closely with the referee + goal line tech or else we will continue to have the same discussions forever!

  • Comment number 99.

    #94
    Was it really 'atrocious' that the referee sent a player off for a two-footed lunge? An offence numerous other players have been red carded for?

    Really?

  • Comment number 100.

    75.At 13:08 17th Jan 2012, The_soul_patch_of_David_Villa wrote:
    i didnt realise it was ok to score an offside goal as long as your 1-0 up

 

Page 1 of 6

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.