Almost Famous (Slight Return)
Here’s an old photo of me almost meeting Bob Geldof. I was digging through my archives and it made me laugh. It was taken at the launch party for World Party’s ‘Bang’ album, in George Martin’s newly renovated Air Studios. There are many reasons for the amusement.
1. I have my eyes resolutely closed.
2. My Radiohead T-shirt looks completely silly. The rubber print on the front also made my chest perspire.
3. I never actually met Bob on this occasion. Karl Walinger from World Party (centre) didn’t make the introduction.
4. The bloke giving me the rabbit ears is Bill Prince, former production staff at NME. He is now Deputy Editor of GQ, and could probably advise me about my ill-advised T-shirt choices.
5. The lady grinning over my shoulder is Suzanne Parkes, who was PR for Sinead O’Connor during the maddest of times, 1990-93.
6. Karl Walinger was terribly nervous as his new album wasn’t the greatest and we were gossiping rudely during much of the playback. His manager, the late Steve Fargnoli (who also handled Prince) kept scowling at us.
7. Look at Bob Geldof and thon luscious black hair.
Would anyone like to provide an entertaining caption for this non-event?
Stu Bailie presents The Late show on Radio Ulster, every Friday from 10pm until midnight. See his playlist here.