BBC BLOGS - Steve Claridge's video blog
« Previous | Main | Next »

Claridge Kicks Off

Post categories:

Steve Claridge | 15:30 UK time, Tuesday, 26 April 2011

Hello, and welcome to 'Claridge Kicks Off', the video blog where Steve Claridge tackles all the big talking points in the Championship, League One and League Two.

This week, Steve reflects on how the top and bottom of all three divisions are shaping up after a busy Easter weekend which has cleared up some promotion and relegation issues, but left plenty still to be resolved.

He takes a look at how Swindon have gone from play-off finalists to relegation in the space of a season, and asks why Stockport are on the verge of dropping out of the Football League after 106 years.

You can submit your questions for Steve below, or contact him on Twitter. He will answer them on a future 'Claridge Kicks Off' rather than posting a reply.

Non-UK users can see a special international version of Steve's video blog here.

In order to see this content you need to have both Javascript enabled and Flash installed. Visit BBC Webwise for full instructions. If you're reading via RSS, you'll need to visit the blog to access this content.


Comments

  • Comment number 1.

    Another great blog steve, really hoping saints can hold off huddersfield! :)

  • Comment number 2.

    How many more weeks of this 'expert' do we have to endure...?

  • Comment number 3.

    "kenadams777 wrote:

    How many more weeks of this 'expert' do we have to endure...?"

    Steve was a hard working journey man pro who did a hefty shift in the lower leagues as well as making to the Premiere League (as he quite rightly often reminds us). I fairly sure he won/played more than any of us.

    Watch or don't watch. Quit player hating.

  • Comment number 4.

    not really premature to be honest, were up.

    how do you feel?

    the r'ssss are going up!! leicester are going no where!!

    you plum!

  • Comment number 5.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 6.

    Now that QPR are almost up...let's see how good they really are....hmmmm.

    If they don't spend massively then they will get less points than Derby did a few years ago.

  • Comment number 7.

    Why do people moan about Claridge?! If you don't agree with him then don't watch his videos, simple!

    Could have mentioned Forest though Stevo, we are on the cust of the prem after all ;) Get into the playoffs which we now should do. With all our players returning from iinjury, Findley etc, we should smash whoever we have to play. Then its off to Anfield to show those scouse what a real famous red team looks like.

  • Comment number 8.

    I'm a Saints fan, but enough has been said about Us and Huddersfield to fill a book. It could be all over by 5pm, Saturday.

    What I really want to comment on is how flabbergasted I am at the now ex-Swindon chairman who says he should have been firmer during Danny Wilson's tenure at The Robins. Excuse me..? Did Danny Wilson ask for the heart of his team to be transferred out of the club..? Did he ask to lose his best players..? Normally, I don't give a monkey's about any other club except Saints, but that statement by Andrew Fittons just blows me away. What is a manager supposed to do..? Perform miracles..?

    Off the soapbox. Glad you said something about it Steve. BTW Peeps, get off Claridge's back. He's been there, done that. He knows his stuff.

  • Comment number 9.

    Wes, what have you got against the welsh mate?

  • Comment number 10.

    Steve,

    There's talk of a takeover (witch is long over due) witch should be complete soon if you listen to local source. My question is if the "new" owners come in should they start afresh with a new manager?. Fan's haven't been too happy with the way we've been playing this season i don't agree with people saying you need a decent budget to play good attacking football. The new owners want us to become a Championship team i can't see Les Parry taking us to the next level.

  • Comment number 11.

    @10

    Any potential takeover should be followed immediately by one thing, an attempt to bring John Aldridge back in as manager.

    Parry has done a decent job under very difficult circumstances but there is definitely no way forward under his management, sadly.

    Tranmere need someone like Aldo back. With his ability to motivate, pick out players released from a higher level and bring through the young talent that Tranmere, being in the North West will always be able to call on.

  • Comment number 12.

    is wes scared that out of the 2 welsh clubs in the english football league's they are in the top 24 clubs as it stands if memory serves me correct the 2 players with the most premership apperances are wait WELSH grow up wes there will be a welsh club in the premership next year

  • Comment number 13.

    Claridge = Useless.

    Anyone who follows this blog believing they are receiving unbiased and 'expert' opinion are deluded and assisting the bbc squander good wages (sourced from our TV licence fees).

  • Comment number 14.

    Steve is slightly biases towards Millwall but he is the only one media that is! so leave him well alone! lol By the way if your looking for a biased commentator there is none worse than 'Mr Crystal Palace' himself Mark 'Yawn' Bright!!!

  • Comment number 15.

    At 09:38am 28th Apr 2011, andy wrote:
    is wes scared that out of the 2 welsh clubs in the english football league's they are in the top 24 clubs as it stands if memory serves me correct the 2 players with the most premership apperances are wait WELSH grow up wes there will be a welsh club in the premership next year

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Is David James Welsh?

  • Comment number 16.

    honestly people, if you dont like the blog then dont watch it!!!! As for the bias, they merely state football how it is.... ie some teams are doing crap, some are doing well..... if you support the team that they say are crap then of course you are going to think its a biased commentary because you would think the sun shines out of that teams ..... I personally like that the BBC is making an effort to show more football league highlights

  • Comment number 17.

    yes but when huddersfield have gone 23 games unbeaten (equates to half a season) and are level on points with saints in what is an enthralling battle for second spot it would be nice for him to mention us on the football league show from time to time. Know he played for Bradford but come on. Last weekend the commentator on the highlights said we'd gone 17 unbeaten (not even close) and then do we get a mention as if we are in with a chance of automatic at all, do we chuff. What a joke. Much prefer Leroy Rosenior, he knows his stuff and much less biased.

  • Comment number 18.

    @ben 1966 - Is David James Welsh?

    Of course - Dai James to his mates. You obviously don't know him well enough

  • Comment number 19.

    He could at least get his facts right. Doncaster are the team immediately above Sheff Utd, not Crystal Palace.

  • Comment number 20.

    12. At 09:38am 28th Apr 2011, andy wrote:
    is wes scared that out of the 2 welsh clubs in the english football league's they are in the top 24 clubs as it stands if memory serves me correct the 2 players with the most premership apperances are wait WELSH grow up wes there will be a welsh club in the premership next year

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Andy, I believe you are referring to Ryan Giggs. If you knew your football, you would know he is actually English. He's played for Wales because either his parents or grandparents were, in fact, Welsh. Either way, I understand your point...it doesn't matter where you're from. Whoever is good enough deserves to be there. I would prefer Swansea over Cardiff, simply because they play better football.

  • Comment number 21.

    20. At 13:00pm 28th Apr 2011, otbc18 wrote:
    12. At 09:38am 28th Apr 2011, andy wrote:
    is wes scared that out of the 2 welsh clubs in the english football league's they are in the top 24 clubs as it stands if memory serves me correct the 2 players with the most premership apperances are wait WELSH grow up wes there will be a welsh club in the premership next year

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Andy, I believe you are referring to Ryan Giggs. If you knew your football, you would know he is actually English. He's played for Wales because either his parents or grandparents were, in fact, Welsh. Either way, I understand your point...it doesn't matter where you're from. Whoever is good enough deserves to be there. I would prefer Swansea over Cardiff, simply because they play better football.

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Giggs is from Cardiff

  • Comment number 22.

    Where's Leroy Rosenior?

  • Comment number 23.

    @OTBC18 - Giggs is English?! That'll be news to him. He was born in Cardiff to Welsh parents. All bar one of his grandparents are also Welsh, except for one who was from Sierra Leone. Why on earth does this myth that he 'chose Wales over England' still persist?

    @blacksanchez - you're not a real friend, just a hanger-on. His real friends call him Dewi, not Dai ;-)

  • Comment number 24.

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the house rules. Explain.

  • Comment number 25.

    Finish 6th and we are up, thats how the playoffs work isn't it?

  • Comment number 26.

    @ 7

    7 said : "Then its off to Anfield to show those scouse what a real famous red team looks like."

    Seriously? Forest have good history and all but of all teams, Liverpool have been the most famous red team for decades which Man U could become at the end of this season. Your living in the past more than Liverpool and thats saying something.

  • Comment number 27.

    @12 andy, Welsh should be playing in the Welsh Premier with the likes of TNS. Atleast it's a guarenteed path to Europe. It's like putting Scotish teams like Celtic and Rangers in English leagues, then we would see the true quality but it shouldn't be allowed. Seeing Cardiff bottle it for the 4th year running would be the perfect result.

  • Comment number 28.

    Ryan Giggs is half Welsh (mum's side) / half Sierra Leone dad's side), he was born in Ely in Cardiff, the only reason he played for English Schoolboys is that he went to school in England, I am sick to the back teeth of people who cant or wont get this right !!

  • Comment number 29.

    "kenadams777 wrote:

    How many more weeks of this 'expert' do we have to endure...?"

    You don't have to endure anything. Just don't watch it if you don't like it. Or didn't that option occur to you?

  • Comment number 30.

    Come on Claridge pull your finger out no mension of the Clarets and their bid for the play -offs ridiculous but you talk about how good Millwall are wont ya. A expert opinion? more like being his normal baised self towards his old teams.

  • Comment number 31.

    Any QPR fans read the sun yesterday? lol

  • Comment number 32.

    Re QPR farce:

    It sounds suspiciously as though the FA are going to decide where QPR should finish in the league table, and are dragging their feet until they know how many points to deduct to place the club in that position...

    A demonstrable lack of natural justice!

  • Comment number 33.

    #28 - His Grandad (not Dad) was from Sierra Leone. His Mum, Dad and Giggs himself were all Welsh. Giggs is just Welsh, full stop.

    #27 - Well that's your opinion. It's a dumb opinion, in my opinion. The Welsh clubs were welcomed into joining the Football League back when the dinosaurs roamed. The Old Firm weren't. We're here, get used to it.

    This sort of thing used to get our back up but now we just find it amusing that the likes of you still can't get your head around simple facts about why we're here and you're so desperate to see us fail based purely on nothing more than our race, as a Welsh club playing in the Football League where the majority of clubs are English.

    I'd like nothing more than Swansea joining us in the PL next year just to wind the likes of you up.

    Oh Wes, show yourself not to be a hypocrite and go barrack the fans of 'English' club Berwick Rangers about them playing in the Scottish Football League seeing as you feel so passionate on the subject.

  • Comment number 34.

    @31 Yes, I read the Sun. The FA have denied that anybody talking to the Sun represents their view. The Sun just made it up. Glad you find that comic funny.

  • Comment number 35.

    xwarex SCFC - Looking back at all your posts, you really are one sad individual.

  • Comment number 36.

    whats funny about Claridge not talking about huddersfield too much on this blog is that he was at the huddersfield game yesterday and watched us beat the champions, he even told one of the town commentators that brightons penalty shouldn't have been....he is a strange individual

  • Comment number 37.

    #27
    TNS is a merger of Oswestry Town and Llansantffraid, an English club and a Welsh club. Which league should they play in ?

  • Comment number 38.

    Fitton was a super chairman for Swindon and deserves respect. He was honest, straightforward and kept faith in his manager in Wilson for the great job he did last season...but how many poor players have crept into the Swindon squad this season who have done nothing on the pitch??? The answer is at least ten players...and most were brought in by Wilson to replace the quality we lost. League 2 should bring more wins at least!!!! 1 in the last 22 games is horrific. Fingers crossed for a progressive, forward thinking young manager to get us back into league 1 at the first time of asking.

 

More from this blog...

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.