BBC BLOGS - Steve Claridge's video blog
Main | Next »

Claridge Kicks Off

Steve Claridge | 19:13 UK time, Monday, 25 October 2010

Welcome to 'Claridge Kicks Off', Steve Claridge's new video blog where he tackles the Football League issues that matter to you, and matter to him.

This week, Steve gives his view on Portsmouth's future after the club's exit from administration, says what he thinks about Notts County sacking manager Craig Short after just five months in charge and looks ahead to Saturday's big game in League One between leaders Brighton and third-placed Peterborough.

He also answers your questions about Sven-Goran Eriksson's arrival at Leicester, Tony Mowbray's appointment as Middlesbrough boss, discusses the positive effects of Chesterfield's new stadium and reveals which Football League teams he thinks play the best football as well as the rule change which he would like to see implemented.

You can submit your questions for Steve below, or contact him on Twitter.

In order to see this content you need to have both Javascript enabled and Flash installed. Visit BBC Webwise for full instructions. If you're reading via RSS, you'll need to visit the blog to access this content.

Comments

• 1. At 10:11am on 28 Oct 2010, EamonHolmes wrote:

Yawn

• 2. At 10:21am on 28 Oct 2010, diddyt01 wrote:

Stop being so flash. Some of us don't have flashplayer at work. Get back to writing instead of video.

• 3. At 10:21am on 28 Oct 2010, TB wrote:

Steve, please look at the amount of time the Football league Show allocates to the games. There's normally ages and ages of one game then not enough time on any of the others.
    You are absolutely carrying that show

• 4. At 10:35am on 28 Oct 2010, Vox Populi wrote:

I agree with TB. I think the Football League Show has some brilliant elements and I like the way that you read out e-mails and opinion from fans too- it's sometimes nice to know that you care what fans actually think.

However, I just think the whole format of the show is rushed- you speed through the games and the divisions like everything is in fast forward. I think the people who work on the show are doing a great job considering that you cover three divisions but the BBC isn't doing you any favours- the BBC needs to start paying proper respect to football. The show should be longer, they should give pundits like Steve and Leroy proper time to elaborate on their points and analyse the action. It's all rather breathless at the moment and Manish, Lizzie and the pundits seem to have to get their chat in super-quick. Also repeat it on Sundays like MOTD because not all of us have a 'record' facility or can download iPlayer programmes.

• 5. At 10:40am on 28 Oct 2010, philadlam wrote:

Steve

Nice to see you have done your research. We are at home to Brighton not away so we won't be 'going to Brighton to shut up shop'.

Phil Adlam

• 6. At 10:46am on 28 Oct 2010, RIP Adam Stansfield wrote:

very good Steve. IMO you're the best pundit on TV.

next week can u talk about my team: Exeter. And their chances this season?

• 7. At 11:46am on 28 Oct 2010, hbk489423 wrote:

hey Steve , We're down to the last eight, but who will win this season's Carling Cup?

• 8. At 12:00pm on 28 Oct 2010, Syucav wrote:

Steve, you're right to cite a possible personality clash behind the scenes as an explanation as to why Criag Short has been sacked as Notts County manager, our results certainly haven't merited getting rid of the boss. It's a worrying display of the same short-term thinking that has blighted our club in recent years.

I was a little disappointed that you didn't mention that Short's assistant Dave Kevan was also sacked; his dismissal has hit fans harder than Short's as Kevan was a County stalwart and he held us together through the upheaval and turmoil last season. Kevan deserved better than this, and will always have the fans' gratitude for the commitment and class he brought to the club.

• 9. At 12:03pm on 28 Oct 2010, hammersmithjack wrote:

I agree on time allocated to Football League show versus MOTD. In my view MOTD is too long - there are rarely more than half a dozen games to cover not the 10 or so the programme originally featured. And most MOTD games are tedious featuring the largely overpriced and overpaid unknowns and divers from abroad which the Premiership sides seem to favour in a league which seems to have forgotten real fans and the fact that it is supposed to be entertaining not just making money. The Football League offers a more realistic and well priced product and deserves more prominence.

• 10. At 12:09pm on 28 Oct 2010, Peter wrote:

Wanting a top 6 finish is a fair ask of our club.

But we have a rookie manager who was a fine player and has lots of respect and experience.

He has my full suppport but surely it was a mistake to give a him a 3 year contract?

Why did we rush to appoint him so fast, when he could have taken over as caretaker manager first instead? Then we could have had proper assesment of his credentials.

Considering he is working with Blackwell's players and that the transfer kitty is all but gone on wages he will struggle to meet the club's demands.

Speed needs time to settle into management but time is not what the club has.

Sadly I feel that his appointment was a risk and I would be quite happy with a 21st place finish. Had we got Southgate or a bigger name I would expect a top 6 finish.

Style of football tactics cannot be changed overnight, and although I always backed Blackwell as he led a dreadful team last year into the top 8 last year, if he were to have gone I would have wanted him to have done at the start of the summer.

All this considered, do you think that Gary Speed was the right choice for Sheffield United?

• 11. At 12:12pm on 28 Oct 2010, Peter wrote:

And by the way, which new signing has most impressed you in the Championship?

I would say Jamie Mackie.

Also which new signing has most least impressed you in the Championship?

I think either Leon Britton or one of Middlesborough's Scottish player.

• 12. At 12:13pm on 28 Oct 2010, Peter wrote:

*players

[Sorry!]

• 13. At 12:24pm on 28 Oct 2010, ManchesterGreen wrote:

Steve - in your opinion, why have Plymouth Argyle struggled for results in League 1 when fellow relegated sides Wednesday & Peterborough are near the top of the table? Is it Peter Reid's fault?

• 14. At 12:31pm on 28 Oct 2010, Mr Chelsea wrote:

• 15. At 12:38pm on 28 Oct 2010, madman wrote:

What is wrong at Plymouth Argle, 2 seasons ago they were doing ok in the championship now there struggling in league 1?

• 16. At 12:55pm on 28 Oct 2010, Y wrote:

Seriously a film. So a good written article is no more because the BBC is encouraging lazy journalism. What is wrong with reading articles? Surely if you have the time to make a film you can write as well?

I'm not able to watch this film, I do hope to see a return of a very good written articles. This is very disapointing and maybe I am alone in feeling this.

• 17. At 1:12pm on 28 Oct 2010, Ciderman88 wrote:

diddyt01
    =================
    Completely agree

• 18. At 1:14pm on 28 Oct 2010, Ciderman88 wrote:

Y wrote:

===================================================================
    Yes i agree with you aswell! Write them out!

• 19. At 1:15pm on 28 Oct 2010, ProudToBePosh wrote:

Did you really just mention Lee Frecklington in the same bracket as George Boyd & Craig Mackail-Smith? Blimey, do your research. Frecklington isn't even a starter when we have a fully fit midfield.

Oh, and as Phil says, we're at home to Brighton, so we're not going anywhere.

• 20. At 1:17pm on 28 Oct 2010, wirralrobin wrote:

• 21. At 1:23pm on 28 Oct 2010, super pig sufc wrote:

steve.. i think you're onto something here with this program..just need to iron out a few wrinkles other posters have mentioned.. (move to sunday morning?.. at least show a repeat; my house is like pc world but sometimes it is nice to just sit in front of the telly with the bacon sandwich)
    i now don't even bother with MOTD.. it doesn't mean anything to me.. it's just a circus
    anyway one other thing.. could you send out an edict to stop calling sheffield united 'sheffield'.. we have another team here.. apparently ;-).. you can call us united if you wish, although that might upset that lot from salford (we were united way before them btw).. you've even got deano at it and really brian you should know better ;-)

• 22. At 1:27pm on 28 Oct 2010, cash4 wrote:

Steve,

Why are you so loathe to give Doncaster Rovers any praise? Even the Sheff Utd fans and manager admitted how they were totally outplayed but you seemed to think they (Sheffield) were unlucky.

Is it because Rovers play quality football and the manager insists on having intelligent players in his squad? Opposite ends of the spectrum perhaps.

• 23. At 1:32pm on 28 Oct 2010, JaseBHA wrote:

Nice to see clubs outside the top flight getting a bit of 'air' time, but Steve, please, cut down the use of the word 'fantastic'. Count how many times you said it in those near-eleven minutes - you'll be shocked.

Looking forward to Saturday at Peterborough - should be a cracker.

• 24. At 1:35pm on 28 Oct 2010, PossibleBoris wrote:

Hi Steve,

Can we clear up once and for all why you dislike Burnley so much? I've lost count of the number of times you've either unfairly criticised us, or failed to give us the credit we deserve.

• 25. At 1:51pm on 28 Oct 2010, tommybrusher wrote:

Hi Steve, please can you try and let others speak when your on the radio. cheers

• 26. At 2:43pm on 28 Oct 2010, Afridi14 wrote:

Steve,

I noticed that you are now on flashplayer.... I cant stand your voice let alone watch you talk and hear you at the same time... steve, why dont you just call it a day?

• 27. At 2:43pm on 28 Oct 2010, cheeky_nffc wrote:

steve,

why bother giving your opinions if you have to have played at the highest level to understand them?

that being the case theres no chance of any of us taking in your sophistcated punditry therefore making it all a complete waste of time, money and effort ;)

the football league show is much better when that pillock savage isn't on.

• 28. At 3:12pm on 28 Oct 2010, barnsie wrote:

more clubs thank jack nicklaus and more media jobs as well

your comments about frecklington are just wrong btw

• 29. At 3:17pm on 28 Oct 2010, baggiemick wrote:

Second Rate Footballer = Second Rate Pundit
    Second Rate Journalist = Second Rate Presenter

Second Rate Presenter + Second Rate Pundit = third rate show

Why haven't you been sacked yet?

• 30. At 3:22pm on 28 Oct 2010, Cyril wrote:

I'm just going to make some more comments on the Football League show itself because, like other I'm at work and cannot watch the video but did enjoy reading the previous ones. I completely agree with what others have said about it being rushed. Does the main game always have to be a Championship one as well? Cause at the moment there are goals galore in the other two divisions. You just have to look at Rotherham, Peterborough and Chesterfield. I'm not just moaning about Championship games always being the main game because my team aren't in it because they are. I'm a Hull City fan and I would love to see more emphasis on League One and Two.

I'd also like to say that Mark Clemmit is the best football reporter in England. His part on the show is brilliant.

• 31. At 4:17pm on 28 Oct 2010, olliehowitt wrote:

• 32. At 4:59pm on 28 Oct 2010, Gurin Jeimuzu wrote:

I can't understand the criticism of your video from other people. I enjoyed the video and thought it was informative and straight forward. I do however agree with the sentiments of a written article, perhaps both could be released? A video can be time consuming. Just a question to ask, Now that Tony Mowbray has been appointed as Middlesbrough manager, where do you see them finishing? Do you think its still possible to finish qualifying for the play-offs? Do you think major changes will happen in January?

• 33. At 5:00pm on 28 Oct 2010, TootingExcess wrote:

I really miss all the coverage you used to give on Newcastle last season, I know they are in the premiership now - but why not have 10 minutes each programme devoted to how they are getting on? Failing that, 20 minutes on Cardiff City and Craig Bellamy is nowhere near enough. Why not forget about the League One and Two clubs and give us an extra 30 minutes about Craig Bellamy.

• 34. At 5:03pm on 28 Oct 2010, olliehowitt wrote:

Oh dear.

My opinion on the show (not rude) leads my comment to be un published. Shame

• 35. At 5:03pm on 28 Oct 2010, olliehowitt wrote:

• 36. At 6:58pm on 28 Oct 2010, captainthunderboult wrote:

steve, any chance of swansea getting a mention some time this season?

• 37. At 7:00pm on 28 Oct 2010, Forest McFlorist wrote:

GET rid of the fans comments section, it is a complete waste of time, we ALREADY know what fans think and frankly I do not care that someone who supports team X thinks "we are doing great" or whatever. SHOW MORE FOOTBALL HIGHLIGHTS.

• 38. At 7:31pm on 28 Oct 2010, garythenotrashcougar wrote:

Steve Claridge you are an embarassment, you can't talk properly half of the time, what you do say is usually badly researched and factually incorrect (Brighton are away this weekend, not home), a lazy generalisation (I notice several Posh fans have had to set you straight on Frecklington), you're prone to overreaction (calling for Swansea's Gorka Pintado to be banned for 3 months last season for what only amounted to a clumsy tackle) and zero personality. I resent the fact that my taxpayer's money by way of the Licence Fee actually contributes to put money in your pocket.

The Football League Show is not much cop at best, but you always manage to take it down a level with your presence. BBC, when are you going to wake up and see sense?

• 39. At 10:22pm on 28 Oct 2010, Rhysj1 - CCFC have beaten SCFC wrote:

Steve Clardige I really don't want to be harsh on you, as right now, reading all these comments about your self must not be nice.

But I really can't hold my dissapointment of you and the FL show in. It's a shambles!
    I'm a Swansea fan, and every sunday out board is filled with comments about how you didn't even give us a mention or talked about our team. always the opposition.
    I realise there are 70 odd clubs in the leagues. But when you look at the show last year it was called the NFL show. Every time it was on it was Newcastle! The rest of us couldn't give 2 hoots about Newcastle winning yet another game at home. Boring!
    show someone else for a change.

I think sometimes you do a lot of lazy journalism about clubs.

However, I do want to leave you with a good point about yourself before I go..........................................................

Sorry.

Umm, you are probably a nice person when people get to know you.

• 40. At 11:06pm on 28 Oct 2010, saint_lambden © wrote:

Stop blabbing on about Pompey for once in your life.

Worst pundit ever.

• 41. At 11:17pm on 28 Oct 2010, John wrote:

As has been said already, Peterborough are at home to Brighton on Saturday. Nice research.
    Also what are the laws about the ball being in play at free kicks (Brighton v Rochdale)? Being an ex-pro, you should at least know the laws of the game.
    Time for a change in career?

• 42. At 11:22pm on 28 Oct 2010, Doing The Lambert Walk wrote:

Absolutely shocking pundit.

Awful voice and awful personality.

They might as well give Kermit the Frog a blog if your getting one.

Waste of space who was shoved from one club to the other.

Ended it all at Weymouth right?

Classy.

• 43. At 11:24pm on 28 Oct 2010, Doing The Lambert Walk wrote:

• 44. At 01:11am on 29 Oct 2010, Morgan Schneiderlad wrote:

Always droning on about Portsmouth. Actually with that voice, you could just say droning in general.
    Never makes an insightful point and can barely string a sentence together. How this man got a job presenting a football show is absolutely beyond me. In terms of articulacy, Claridge is almost as bad that dithering idiot Paul Merson on Sky. Still at least Merson has the booze to blame. What's your excuse Steve?

• 45. At 01:13am on 29 Oct 2010, Im made out of bits of real panther wrote:

PLEASE STOP GIVING STEVE CLARIDGE AIR TIME!!

Also, that fans view section with 'lizzie' on the football league show is pointless. That's what 606 is for isn't it?

• 46. At 02:14am on 29 Oct 2010, Pongolles_Cinema wrote:

I actually quite enjoyed this, I wasn't really expecting Shakespeare quotes from Mr Claridge to be honest. I'm just glad the Football League is being covered at all, away from the Prawnier League to be honest.

While we all love hearing quality intellectual insight and journalism, maybe sometimes there isn't any need to over analyse a subject, basic points will do.

• 47. At 06:18am on 29 Oct 2010, mightyfox wrote:

Steve, I'm kinda with you on the Leicster subject but I believe it'll be Mandric who might try to get too involved if things don't pick up soon enough, resulting in Sven getting the push. After all, Sven likes to do it his way and be left to do the busness with the team without meddling from the men above.

• 48. At 07:24am on 29 Oct 2010, Paddzer wrote:

Hi Steve

Just wondered if someone would start previewing the championship, League1 and League2. Mark does it for the premiership and i'd love to see a similar analysis for these leagues.(maybe a little more detailed, as premiership is always in the shop window, so not much news we wont have heard) Would appreciate any efforts.

• 49. At 09:10am on 29 Oct 2010, Peter wrote:

Yeah why don't you do Championship predictions, like what Lawro does for the PL?

That would be great.

It would also be nice if you bother to respond to our questions too.

• 50. At 11:03am on 29 Oct 2010, Andrew Spiers wrote:

Up the Albion!

• 51. At 12:39pm on 29 Oct 2010, rrrrrs wrote:

Im sorry but i cant stand the football league show, the BBC had a chance to make a realy good show but fell at the first hurdle. Your (Steve Claridge) commentary is predictable, boring and repetitive hence i Sky+ it and just watch the small amount of football in the show.

• 52. At 1:02pm on 29 Oct 2010, Watford_R wrote:

Any chance, if you absolutely have to read out e-mails rather than showing football, that you can divert from the standard

'Dave in Shrewsbury would like to say a big well done to the Shrews at Burton today'

Frankly no-one gives a hoot. More football, less Lizzie.

Actually while I'm at it, can you also stop giving so much coverage to whatever the televised BBC game is that day. By being on TV, everyone who wants to see it has done so already, as interesting as seeing Sheffield United grind out a 0-0 is over a 10 minute highlight reel.

And, lastly, ditch 'Clem'. He's the most cringeworthy part of the show, an impressive feat, and again it's a waste of time that no-one really wants to see. Ditto for coverage of the away team getting off the bus.

• 53. At 1:02pm on 29 Oct 2010, Wicklow Leeds wrote:

I agree with diddyt01, can we get a written article version of the article too? Used to really enjoy reading those articles last year

• 54. At 1:14pm on 29 Oct 2010, CanterburyRoyal wrote:

Personally I don't think the football league show is that bad, considering for years we had to put up with the drivel that was 'The championship' on ITV. With 30 seconds for most games, except the one at the 'featured' game which was on for 20 mins.

I know it's not loads more, but at least the lower leagues are getting coverage, I quite enjoy watching the lower leagues.

• 55. At 2:20pm on 29 Oct 2010, goonergetit wrote:

Two video appeals per team, get the big decisions right ! Two video appeals will not slow down the game. (Rory delap takes 25 throw ins in some games)
    To stop the manager from abusing the law he can only make a video appeal in his own half if the ball is dead.
    The Referee must have the power to award the worthless yellow card "after the game," retrospectively. He can rescind yellow cards and reds also, he will be more empowered have much more "flexibility" in his decision making and the real beauty of it is the huge huge respect he will command from all the players and voiciferous blinkered managers.
    Increasing the ban for accumulative yellow cards would help get rid of the pro foul.
    3. The Linesman having to be more pro active as a result of video appeals would make more decisions and not hide so much, he will feel more empowered, garner more respect from the players, video appeal will embarass him into more decisions, psychological accountability.
    The linesman is "miked" up, take away his flag so he can run properly and keep up with the line of play. (In every "ten" uses of the flag the players already know 5 of the decisions, the Ref will decide one, and the Linesman will decide the other four decisions)
    With his new found self respect the Linesman can "encroach" on to the pitch to help with penalties and free kicks, when Agbonlahor is sprinting on to a 60 yard pass and the 39 year old Ref is 60 yards away, the Linesman can be ten yards away in line with play, helping to Referee.
    Instead of carrying a "clumsy" flag the Linesman can wear flourescent green sleeves.

• 56. At 2:23pm on 29 Oct 2010, goonergetit wrote:

Transparent time keeping procedures. Ball in play the clock will tick, when the ball is deemed out of play or dead, the clock stops, on a big screen where we can all see it ? A big siren to end the game ! After all, this is the 21st Century ?

• 57. At 2:29pm on 29 Oct 2010, goonergetit wrote:

The 9 point deduction for going into administration will prove to be a futile, meaningless, pathetic ruling. 70 points should be the deduction as those teams that abuse the yellow card that have 90 points can still avoid relegation. If Liverpool had entered into administration would this very point have been proven ?

• 58. At 3:43pm on 29 Oct 2010, Uber_Hoop wrote:

The FL Show needs a "what's the frequency, Kenneth?" moment each week.

I wouldn't be sucking that pencil, Steve, if I knew where it'd been...

• 59. At 3:48pm on 29 Oct 2010, goonergetit wrote:

When a child puts on his football kit and his footie boots and tucks his shinpads into his socks it is one of the greatest moments of his childhood and he does so because a man in black will referee his game in all weathers, take all the abuse and do it all for free on his sunday off work. Some of these great men in black go on to Referee at a more professional level, unbiased honest men that love the game and receive derisory financial rewards for their years of integrity and for the ability for a great many to enjoy their saturday afternoons with the most profound relish and sheer magnificient joy. They are only human and have to discern the truth amongst twenty two cheats whilst also being lent on at half time.
    The way these great men are treated is abhorrent and disgusting.

• 60. At 3:59pm on 29 Oct 2010, goonergetit wrote:

Glenn Hoddle gets to the byline, he curls a delectable cross, he utilises the wind, it's an incredible skill, a marvellous art, it's perfect, Steve Claridge is on the end of it with a diving bullet header, he scores. The Linesman is 5 yards behind the line of play, it's pouring rain and the ball travels through the glare of the floodlights. How can a Linesman possibly make a good decision as to wether the ball went out of play ? This "out of play" law should be changed, let's make football beautiful.

• 61. At 4:03pm on 29 Oct 2010, goonergetit wrote:

Get rid of the malicious foul and the "Pro" foul, increase the ban for yellow card accumulation, is a yellow card now completely worthless ?

• 62. At 4:12pm on 29 Oct 2010, goonergetit wrote:

Deliberate hand ball on the line, the penalty is saved, 3 points won thus avoiding relegation. All fouls in the six yard box.
    Solution. EIGHT yard penalty.

• 63. At 4:14pm on 29 Oct 2010, Kill_Bill_Vol_2 wrote:

Wow, some harsh comments regarding Steve Claridge here! lol

Fair play to the BBC for trying to produce a programme that shows there is more to football in England than the cash cow Premier League. I think it fails miserably but at least it's trying. I gave up watching a long time ago and now skip to my teams "highlights" or more to the point goals courtesy of recording it on my Sky+ box.

Granted it must be a huge team effort collating all three divisions in order for it to be shown in the evening, but still, the whole format of the show needs to be looked at.

• 64. At 4:22pm on 29 Oct 2010, goonergetit wrote:

At the Emirates a few weeks ago a Blackpool defender innocently conceded a penalty, he got sent off. Arsenal scored, at that very moment the game become a NON CONTEST, all those fan's that had saved and spent their money to travel a great distance were treated to a drab hopeless affair, completely unjust and blatantly wrong.
    We have to empower the Referee to decide the punishment, we have to trust the judgement of an experienced trained official to met out the punishment, otherwise the lawmakers of our beautiful game will continue to destroy it stealthily, slowly.

• 65. At 4:31pm on 29 Oct 2010, LanLodger- Beep Beep Beep wrote:

I must be the only one who likes this show! More of an effort then ITV. My only real rant is why the hell is it on at 12 AM, stupid time.

• 66. At 4:34pm on 29 Oct 2010, goonergetit wrote:

FIFA want to keep the game in a way that it is not divorced from the masses, so it can be replicated at every level throughout the world, on every street corner and there is a lot to be said for that, so they introduce the farce, the lottery of "first phase offside, second phase offside" If a goalkeeper can see a striker in his view he will position himself accordingly for a shot that may come from outside the area and that said striker is interfereing with the goalkeepers decision making process or he is not interfereing ? Try to replicate, interpret this ridiculous scenario for the masses around the world.

• 67. At 4:35pm on 29 Oct 2010, Phildowd wrote:

Goonergetit - in amongst the unnecessarily high number of posts you make some interesting points but the rest of them are just awful. How is a linesman supposed to feel empowered and garner respect from players and fans if he is categorically proved to have made a bad decision and cost the home team a goal?
    Change the out of play law how exactly?
    Carrying a flag is not sufficient enough of an impediment to stop the linesman keeping up with play.
    Most Sunday league refs actually get paid anyway. In fact your whole comment in post 59 is total drivel

• 68. At 4:47pm on 29 Oct 2010, goonergetit wrote:

The official "standing by the goal" will not solve the most important dilema, the offside law. He will be part of a team of 10 officials, including the two substitute officials. The Referee will have to decide to play the "advantage rule" with potentially three officials communicating with him at the very same instant moment that 16 players are jostling in the penalty area, chaos ensues. Winter weather logistics, cost, trains and flights cancelled, how many officials may fall sick on the day, communication breakdown, it's a bureaucratic nightmare but then it's a European directive so bureacracy and lots more bureacracy is exactly what we are going to get. Confusion reigns supreme. Sport and Politics ?

• 69. At 4:47pm on 29 Oct 2010, Lork wrote:

for what it's worth i reckon steve claridge is a fairly knowledgable and thoughtful pundit, just dont get obsessed with his monotone voice. the beeb should deffo split blogs up into video and written though.

• 70. At 4:54pm on 29 Oct 2010, goonergetit wrote:

They want goal line technology to be instant and why not ? But what they fail to see is the very fact that it will be used on average twice a year at any ground. At some grounds it will not be used for years, devising an instant solution may prove impossible what with several players blocking lazer beams or radio waves ? So why can there not be a video appeal available to the players. We are talking about once or twice a year ?

• 71. At 5:09pm on 29 Oct 2010, goonergetit wrote:

6 plus 5. 8 from 25. Quotarising, nationalistic rascist bureacracy, do politics and sport mix ? Yet more rules that by stealth will damage football and enhance rascism amongst our youth and amongst their youth !Will these rascist regulations be the worst rule ever to be introduced to football ? If you work it out there will be a plethora of English goalkeepers available as managers prioritise the places for those foreigners ? Will Ferguson, Mourinho and Wenger be able to create again what we see now ? When we haven't won the world cup for 16 years they'll employ a foreign manager, how laughable is this utter catastrophe ? How many decades or years will it be before these philistine rascist rulings are overturned ?

• 72. At 5:15pm on 29 Oct 2010, goonergetit wrote:

Phildowd - The flag does slow down a linesman and the proof will be in the eating of the pudding.

• 73. At 5:16pm on 29 Oct 2010, James wrote:

Steve

Just wanted your opinion on Oxford this season. We have had a solid start and not been outplayed this season (all 4 defeats by the one goal). Is it realsitic to think of the play offs?

Jamie

• 74. At 5:26pm on 29 Oct 2010, goonergetit wrote:

Phildowd - At the moment linesmen are passive, their confidence is low, they have the ability to hide by not making a decision, by letting the Referee make it for them. With video technology they will have to step up to the plate, they will have to make decisions or risk the wrath of the severe incompetent embarrassment they will suffer if they don't. So by making more decisions and being more "pro active" their confidence will increase, their authority will be more they will feel more empowered and by letting them encroach onto the pitch the players will be more aware of their actions and in turn respect will return, carrying a daft clumsy flag when green flourescent sleeves and microphones will suffice especially when twisting and turning, do not forget that a flag is also a pointed dangerous stick and can impinge on the balance of a Linesman as he alters his body position, this system works and my theories will be practical.

• 75. At 5:31pm on 29 Oct 2010, goonergetit wrote:

Phildowd - How can you possibly say that my comments are unnecessarily high when I am hoping that someone like Steve Claridge who begins his career can have as much armour and provocative thought to help him on his way ?

• 76. At 5:39pm on 29 Oct 2010, goonergetit wrote:

Phildowd - The ball out of play law. It's a great art, a marvel to watch, to bend the ball, it's a part of the game. If the ball "touches" the ground outside the white line then it is out of play, but if it bends in the air, whilst not "touching" the ground 1. how do you police it when it's raining, in the glare of the floodlights and the linesman is 5 or ten yards behind the line of play ? I wonder what the players and linesmen would have to say about it ? What do you think the answer would be if you asked Liam Brady or Peter Taylor ?

• 77. At 5:42pm on 29 Oct 2010, goonergetit wrote:

Phildowd - It's not suprising that Referees and Linesmen get no respect whatsoever if you fail to sympathise with these people that give up their weekends in all weathers so that a young boy will hear the sound of his football studs on concrete and it will be one of the greatest symphonies he will ever hear in his life !

• 78. At 5:51pm on 29 Oct 2010, goonergetit wrote:

Phildowd - Refs do get paid but not nearly enough and as for your cynical view and miserable stance do you have anything interesting or provocative to say apart from your own personal diatribe ?

• 79. At 6:01pm on 29 Oct 2010, goonergetit wrote:

The spectator has paid £40 to sit near the goal and when Berbatov unleashes the most spectacular volley ever and the ball flys at 70 mph into the net, the Platini 4th official standing by the goal manages to block the view of all those paying customers who happen to be sitting in the wrong place, the European bureacratisation of football and all the farce to follow, heaven help us !

• 80. At 6:18pm on 29 Oct 2010, hampshire_hoop wrote:

• 81. At 8:42pm on 29 Oct 2010, Phildowd wrote:

• 82. At 10:03am on 30 Oct 2010, RobinhoQPR wrote:

I agree 100% that the format of the football league show is awful, Claridge won't respond to the comments on here because he never does any research. I'm sick of watching the show only to hear him say that a team is 'fantastic' after winning 4-0, I know that mate I just watched the goals! Why not break it down and tell me why they were so good?! Surely that's what you are paid for...

The fans comments are pointless and read by a woman who clearly knows nothing about football and only gets on TV for the same reasons as the woman commentator on MOTD, diversity reasons. Nothing against women having these jobs but at least get a woman that is knowledgable and cares like Georgie Thompson or Kelly Dalglish.

Claridge out and someone with a little knowledge of more than Pompey and Leicester in please!!

• 83. At 5:47pm on 30 Oct 2010, TylerNCCC wrote:

I would ask you a question Steve, but as i dont support a championshipor top half league 1 team, i doubt you'll really know or care.

• 84. At 5:57pm on 30 Oct 2010, theartistformerlyknownasconcernedincardiff wrote:

• 85. At 7:16pm on 30 Oct 2010, Besian wrote:

The Football League Show...

..A program which crams the football with a fanbase of over half a million people into an hour and half of barely digestible nano-spat shorthand where viewers are lucky if they even get the scores, let alone feast their eyes on highlights their retinas have time to transmit to their brain. Fans are forced to secure eyelids to their forehead using hairclips upon the introduction of thier match; blinking literally would halve the coverage – while the format and presenters only add to the dirge.

The show opens with Manish Bhasin inexplicably introducing the program hanging from the studio scaffolding, the cameraman visibly flinching as he recovers from wildly scanning the room to locate the wayward presenter. You can almost feel the lens jockey’s frown from behind his gear, dumbfounded that Manish has scaled a 14 foot wall in order to announce the overture from the rafters instead of behind the desk like any normal anchor.

The fondling of convention doesn’t stop there. Next we are greeted by Lizzie Greenwood-Hughes, a smile literally tattooed on her face, sat ON a desk to let the viewers know how busy she is handling all your pointless grammatical molestations.

She tells us that Dave from Scunthorpe had a great trip to Plymouth, while everyone except Dave and Lizzie couldn’t give a flying cod. Infact Dave has probably gone to bed which leaves me wondering why Lizzie doesn’t just write an email back in her own time; sparing us the tedium and afford the show more time to spend on, I don’t know : FOOTBALL? instead of wasting air time on this grinwit riffling through her sad inbox.

Back to Manish, a good 15 minutes wasted on vacuity; Pleasant as it is to see him back on the ground again, he is now joined by a man whose face is so inhumanly dull if he stood still outside a village shop people would post letters in it.

Steve Claridge admirably compliments his looks with his voice and personality – a sentence from the thumb-shaped pundit manages to sound less like a human opinion and more like a balloon being slowly deflated in a sink of marmite.

Next we are treated to the spectacle of two extended highlights of games the BBC has pre-empted to be less entertaining than a busker whistling, once again lacking the foresight to identify any of the other classic goal drenched encounters. Ingeniously this leads the viewers to actually look forward to another bloated segment of Lizzie’s tedious collection of monosyllabic junkmail.

Manish and the foot-with-a-face-drawn-on-it discuss the games briefly before viewers are jerked awake by the terrifying fear their life might be flashing before their eyes, before the relief that as they didn’t play that much football it must be the hyperdrive data injection of the rest of the leagues football highlights. The summaries are so short It’s like the Beeb are trying to implant each match subliminally into your brain without you noticing; you think you fell asleep during the show but in the morning you awake and are mysteriously aware Zebroski scored for Torquay United in the 83rd minute.

Insult is added to injury as the BBC suck any hope of these rushed micro-clips providing even an ounce of entertainment by ensuring the voiceover lets you know a team scores before the ball is in the net. Perhaps they should apply this bizarre device to all their programs, announcing Phil is going to lay Peggy out with a bottle of Pernod five seconds before he walks into the Queen Vic during an episode of Eastenders, and running the name of the winning contestant along the bottom of the screen at the start of The Weakest Link.

In an attempt to include everybody the show has entertained nobody, reduced coverage of each viewers club to quantum time in order to appease the solitary league 2 supporter still awake at 2am and read out Ian Bumwit’s text declaring the manager of Bleakport Rangers doesn’t know what he is doing.

The Championship surely deserves more than this? Stop mucking about on the roof Manish, find a co-host whose day job doesn't revolve around impersonating furniture, save the league 1 and 2 stuff for online, and tell Lizzie I have no interest in the contents of her Nokia unless it has longer highlights of the Reading V Burnley game.

• 86. At 2:41pm on 31 Oct 2010, AH51RST wrote:

I have to take Steve Claridge to task for the comments he made after Derby CFC v Watford FC when he said that Leacocks holding the shirt of the Watford forward dramatically changed the situation of the game. He took this "shirt pulling" incident and made a quantum leap to a statement that if Leacock had been sent off, Watford following their goal could have been at 2-all with eleven against ten men. Apart from the fact he said the 'keeper' made the wrong decision not sending Leacock off how did he imagine Watford majically got on even terms or was he also assuming Leacocks sending off would have guaranteed a better outcome to the free kick. If you express an opinion on national tv about a game don't show biased or at least think through what you are going to say before sayin it.
    My view as an overtly biased and self confessed Rams fan was that the forward made a meal of the incident but even with Derby down to ten men history would show that in this situation teams with ten men often raise their game and at 2 - 1 Watford still had a lot to do to get back on level terms.

• 87. At 8:13pm on 31 Oct 2010, Darren J Ewen wrote:

Hi Steve. I am a avid Cheltenham Town fan and loyal season ticket holder. I and 3 of my mates made the long trip to see us win 4-2 against Accrington Stanley. Where in your honest opinion do you see Cheltenham finishing in the League 2 table in May and what do you think of the job that Mark Yates has done at the club??

• 88. At 11:35pm on 31 Oct 2010, Peter wrote:

Dear Mr. Claridge,
    After 3 days you have still not bothered to respond to any of our questions. I emailed my question in to talksport and within 4 minutes it was read out and opinions and answers given on it.
    What is your excuse?

• 89. At 11:55pm on 31 Oct 2010, Peter wrote:

26 minutes in.

There is your proof!

• 90. At 09:02am on 01 Nov 2010, Sue Denim wrote:

"Which new signing has most impressed you in the Championship?"

Scott Sinclair, Swansea City

• 91. At 5:38pm on 01 Nov 2010, ShrimperBurt wrote:

• 92. At 5:51pm on 01 Nov 2010, captainthunderboult wrote:

thanks for giving swansea a mention this week steve. more of the same this week.

• 93. At 4:27pm on 02 Nov 2010, treboeth_jack94 wrote:

hi steve

With the south wales derby on sunday who do you reckon will win and why? And also do you reckon scott sinclair is the bargin of the season?

• 94. At 5:17pm on 02 Nov 2010, Emilio_Heskeynho wrote:

Yeh the Football League Show is too short and on too late. What is so important that it comes before the football? The football is the most important thing on TV and it's an absolute joke the time other shows get which nobody cares about.

This week the Leicester highlights were just the goal and it was shown in less than 10 seconds! What's that all about?
    When did the football league become so uninportant?

Put it on before Match Of The Day or put Match Of The Day on earlier

• 95. At 6:29pm on 02 Nov 2010, leeds60 wrote:

I think that steve is doing a great job he gives constructive criticism but the show is too short and should be shown on Sunday morning or earlier on Saturday night I don,t watch MOTD can,t stand prima donnas

• 96. At 8:19pm on 02 Nov 2010, barnsie wrote:

its really good to see steve interacting with this audience in his responses here

the whole show is another example of the bloated mess that is bbc sport give some real lower league experts/fans a quarter of the budget and they would do a better job...

who gives a flying one what dave from dagenham thinks about there new striker?

nobody

• 97. At 9:28pm on 02 Nov 2010, Reiver Armstrong wrote:

I agree with comments about Lower League games getting less coverage on television. The League Show is okay and was needed because there was nothing for non-Premier League clubs. The danger for the League Show is that the Championship clubs get all the airtime and then the humble League 2 sides get 2 or 3 minutes each. The most appalling example of how badly lower league teams are treated however was on the League Cup Show where Northampton beat Liverpool in a thrilling game and got 3 or 4 minutes and a little 'didn't they do well comment' from the not-to-be-named pundit at the start of the show, when the 'big' teams got what felt like 15-20 minutes. It's really quite sad. Those big clubs get plenty of money and coverage, give us little clubs a break.

• 98. At 1:15pm on 03 Nov 2010, Safesurfer wrote:

Steve, I understand you went to the Brighton v Exeter match on Tuesday night. What did you make of Brighton's style of passing football - and do you think they will get promoted?

• 99. At 3:21pm on 03 Nov 2010, cash4 wrote:

Claridge Kicks Off
    Post categories: Football

Steve Claridge | 19:13 UK time, Monday, 25 October 2010

This week, ...

He also answers your questions....

--------------------------------------------------

Where is Steve answering our questions?

• 100. At 6:42pm on 09 Nov 2010, Loyal_Lion1 wrote:

Very enjoyable. As usual, very good opinions from a man who knows the game inside out. Thought he should never have been sacked as Millwall manager and his auto-biography proves that. Steve Claridge. Legend.

More from this blog...