Chris and his t-shirts

The Mole | 10:40 UK time, Thursday, 4 June 2009

The first thing I ever heard Kate Humble say about Chris Packham was that she had seen him arrive with a lorry load of t-shirts, all fastidiously arranged on a rack on wheels. Of course I didn't believe her. But then I went to his trailer to interview him about his collection of wildlife artifacts, and there they were, all nice and tidy, hanging on a rack...

Here's Chris, talking about the t-shirts he's brought to Springwatch:

In order to see this content you need to have both Javascript enabled and Flash installed. Visit BBC Webwise for full instructions. If you're reading via RSS, you'll need to visit the blog to access this content.

Comments

• 1. At 11:08am on 04 Jun 2009, RangerParus wrote:

Can we see the hair products rack next?

• 2. At 12:41pm on 04 Jun 2009, thewildlifecrew wrote:

On Monday, Chris was a bit foxed by the rhyme that says cuckoos change their tune. The rhyme is probably referring to the long-held tradition that cuckoos start calling on a minor third (think of the first two notes of Greensleeves played backwards)and then change to a major third (the first two notes of While Shepherds Watched backwards).

This property of cuckoo song was taken advantage of by the composer Louis Claude Daquin in his work Le Coucou. The harmony starts off as a minor third, changing to a major third later in the piece.

An interesting discussion of cuckoo song can be found on p465 of 'Notes and Queries' by Martim de Albuquerque (pub. 1864 and available to read on Google Books).

• 3. At 1:19pm on 04 Jun 2009, LazyRizzo wrote:

No Clash? No Siouxsie? No CBGBs? Shame on you Mr Packham!
    I'd send you one of my vintage rock tshirts but you're probably too young to wear it!

• 4. At 2:59pm on 04 Jun 2009, RangerParus wrote:

It was only a lorry load and not a metal container on a flat bed. Maybe that will come for Autumn Watch...

• 5. At 3:00pm on 04 Jun 2009, TrenthamTraveller wrote:

It was so nice to see someone else has OCD when it comes to clothes. I too like my hangers all pointing the same way and my clothes are colour coded in the wardrobe - they aren't all on lovely wooden hangers but my OCD thing is that they all have to be on the hangar from the store from which the item was purchased!!!

• 6. At 3:30pm on 04 Jun 2009, springintoaction wrote:

How quickly you can off someone !! You know you can get help for that don't you Chris ! Love you really X

• 7. At 6:13pm on 04 Jun 2009, shelllovesnature wrote:

The whole family has loved this years springwatch!! Thanks to your enthusiasm we have been inspired and took the kids to Pensthorpe at the weekend and had a fantastic day. My daughter, Emily has fallen in love with Chris's Panda T-shirt and would love to know where he got it. Keep up the amazing work and looking forward to the rest of the shows! regards Shell x P.S. Hope Bill is getting better, we do miss him, but think Chris has done him proud.

• 8. At 7:59pm on 04 Jun 2009, biospringy wrote:

chris's T shirts are very interesting. My brother likes Lara croft Tomb raider, and when he saw the panda T shirt he said: "that's a Lara Croft panda!"

Thomas

• 9. At 9:30pm on 04 Jun 2009, Flannelcat wrote:

Are you saving the "Je suis Morrissey" t-shirt for the last show? Congratulations on finding a new way to hook viewers: today's "The Queen is Dead" perhaps rather obvious so looking forward to Monday!

• 10. At 11:35pm on 04 Jun 2009, rugga71 wrote:

I remember Chris coming to Consett Empire Theatre last year doing a talk on wildlife in the garden and he was wearing a star wars stormtrooper tshirt with the slogan 'your empire needs you' At the end of his talk was the usual questons and nswers part, i was so tempted to ask wear he got it from but never got the chance:(

• 11. At 09:32am on 05 Jun 2009, secondbirdfan wrote:

I didn't see a bird tee-shirt! did Chris have room to sleep in that caravan? Great Spring Watch this year, I think it would be good to see Kate, Bill and Chris in the future!

• 12. At 10:33am on 05 Jun 2009, otterman wrote:

hi everyone!Loving the show with CP Tshirts especialy the panda Tshirt,lara croft tomb raider is nice Tshirt.

• 13. At 11:18am on 05 Jun 2009, suhigh1 wrote:

Just wanted to say great Springwatch this year.Really fired up my seven year old son,Tom's interest in nature, he now wants to work with the RSPB when he grows up.
    P.S.Was surprised Chris did not have a "Smiths" Tshirt lurking on his rack.

• 14. At 12:40pm on 05 Jun 2009, Copper_Beech wrote:

Aww! he's so cute.

• 15. At 9:38pm on 06 Jun 2009, Jelly-kitty wrote:

What has happened to bill?! Is he alright?? X

• 16. At 6:53pm on 07 Jun 2009, katiebeero wrote:

Chris, always put trousers on a hanger with a shirt. If you're anything like me or my mum you'll have a fantastic satisfaction in being able to free up hangers. Also, hangers of the same type should indeed always be next to eachother (plus, if you don't like it, you can change it back which is more organisation, which having watched your T-shirt lining up, you seem to enjoy).

• 17. At 1:15pm on 16 Jun 2009, Peterspal wrote:

I would like to see anything and everything about the lovely Chris. He has replaced Hugh Jackman as my number 1 guy and, just to add Chris, I am a huge fan of Great White Sharks too (and I am a girl to disprove your theory)I had a bemused adolescent Sparrowhawk in my garden last week. He crash landed into our tree chasing the finches who feed there.

Lots in common Chris!!! Please come back for Autmn Watch and every "watch" thereafter.

• 18. At 11:31pm on 16 Jun 2009, Happidog wrote:

Have to say I loved his space hopper t shirt and the Jesus and Mary chain one was met with bemused looks from my sis and brother in law so had to explain that one too! Not sure about the hoovering though!

Always thought Chris was mint ever since his days on the Really Wild Show. After Springwatch Im an even bigger fan now, please do Autumn watch Chris!!!!

• 19. At 11:56am on 17 Jun 2009, MrBontana wrote:

• 20. At 4:02pm on 21 Jun 2009, Crafty-Kristy wrote:

I was peacefully laid in my bed listening to the relaxing sounds of Kate Humble on Springwatch. I was thinking how great it was to have Kate back on our screens and how I could always rely on her to get me off to sleep. When Chris Packam and his BIG MOUTH STRIKES AGAIN, awoke me from the DRAIZE TRAIN.

Kate is THE HAND THAT ROCKS THE CRADLE, we all know Chris is A CHARMING MAN and if you ASK him about the RUSHOLME RUFFIANS on the scrape he would surely say that the BIG MOUTH STRIKES AGAIN! I sat their wondering IS IT REALLY SO STRANGE? When I started slipping off to sleep and was dreaming of CEMETERY GATES.

THEN WHAT SHE SAID, (Kate that is) with PANIC in her voice, she sounded like a GIRL AFRAID no wonder I thought, what with Chris telling her YOU JUST HAVENT EARNED IT YET BABY.

GOLDEN LIGHTS suddenly appeared in the sky as a swarm of bees set Chris of chasing the Queen bee around the set Oh no Chris said the QUEEN IS DEAD. Kate was sad and exclaimed HEAVEN KNOWS IM MISERABLE NOW!

Chris tried to console Kate and reassured her that THESE THINGS TAKE TIME! He tried to comfort Kate and said that the bees would still go BACK TO THE OLD HOUSE. This is not right Kate said how dare you Chris you will surely bee sacked from the BBC. A grovelling Chris said PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE LET ME GET WHAT I WANT, Kate felt like Chris was now HALF A PERSON and quickly reminded him whilst Simon King was taking over that she did not want Chris to go back to his old way and reengage with the SHOPLIFTERS OF THE WORLD. Chris was surely a SWEET AND TENDER HOOLIGAN in his youth, which was put down to him being TIED TO HIS MOTHERS APRON STRINGS. Chris retorted that he was his MOTHERS ONLY SON AND A DESPERATE ONE! At which point his mum SHEILA TOOK A BOW. How strange, Sheila was stood there with the local VICAR IN A TUTU.

Suddenly in the far distance Bill sprang out of know where and pointed and said THERE IS A LIGHT THAT NEVER GOES OUT, Chris said, WILLIAM IT WAS REALLY NOTHING. Tut tut said Bill That JOKE ISNT FUNNY ANYMORE. After Chriss GIRLFRIEND IN A COMA came around she exclaimed smelling her gladiolas LAST NIGHT I DREAMT THAT SOMEBODY LOVED ME! Chris said yes I always WANT THE ONE I CANT HAVE, which lead them to NOWHERE FAST. Well I WONDER what happened next.

You can safely say that instead of relaxing off to sleep each evening in the presence of the Springwatch Crew I was laid on the edge of my bed wondering when Chris and Kate was going to utter the next THE SMITHS song title! Springwatch you have been SPRUNG!

Many thanks to all of you for providing so much entertainment. We miss Bill. Chris well and truly made up for this by being a HANDSOME DEVIL!

I know that this is not the right place to post this - however can it be passed on so that Chris realises that he has been SPRUNG!

Many thanks from Kristy xx

• 21. At 4:28pm on 07 Jul 2009, MrTonyMurch wrote:

• 22. At 12:20pm on 14 Aug 2009, mikexxl wrote:

• 23. At 5:33pm on 21 Sep 2009, starjames007 wrote:

• 24. At 11:48pm on 10 Mar 2010, mo2k10 wrote:

• 25. At 8:44pm on 02 Jun 2010, rodger2908 wrote:

Love Chris's t-shirts - especially the brown one with swallows & spitfires. Any idea where he got it from???

• 26. At 10:52pm on 02 Jun 2010, springbabe77 wrote:

Apparently CP is printing his own tee's this season...

Chris: Please sell them, my Oh in love with this brown one your wearing on tonight's show.. Where can I get him one or even the print to make him one!!
    Cheers

• 27. At 00:36am on 05 Jun 2010, misty400 wrote:

love the tee-shirt with planes and birds think worn on the 2nd of june 2010 can we buy any where if not why i think lots of people would love it ?