bbc.co.uk Navigation

Alex Gubbay

Interruption to service

A quick blog to apologise for the interruption to the service on the BBC Sport website last night.

Our editorial team were unable to publish any updates to the main pages of the website from about 18:50 until after 23:00 - this affected News and other parts of the BBC website as well.
It appears to have been caused by damage to the links between our London buildings, which meant we lost network connectivity between our publishing systems and the BBC web servers.

On a busy night of Champions League football, this meant we were unable to bring you our normal live text commentary and photos, other football scores and statistics updates, or reports and quotes as soon as the games finished.

Which was just as frustrating for us as it obviously was for all of you unable to get any updates or information.

We hope normal service has now been resumed, but our technical teams will continue to investigate and work on ensuring that is the case.

Alex Gubbay is the sports news editor for BBC Sport Interactive. Our FAQs should answer any questions you have. If they don't, you can contact us.

Comments

• 1. At 11:13am on 23 Oct 2008, SaintStatto wrote:

Why have there not been any entries on this blog for a month anyway?

• 2. At 12:06pm on 23 Oct 2008, Alex Trickett - wrote:

SaintStatto - I'll answer that one. To an extent, content on the SEB is seasonal and certainly dependent on what events are coming up. But I accept that it's been a quiet spell - apologies for that.

The good news is that we do have a range of blogs pencilled in for the coming weeks, including a Roger Mosey blog on the NFL game at Wembley, which is being prepared as I write.

So keep watching this space.

• 3. At 12:44pm on 23 Oct 2008, Cheese Fan wrote:

Alex, is there any chance of starting up a regular tennis blog?

• 4. At 1:11pm on 23 Oct 2008, Alex Trickett - wrote:

At the risk of hijacking Alex G's blog, yes there is a chance but no firm plans are in place at this stage. Not ruling it out though.

• 5. At 1:56pm on 23 Oct 2008, Jordan D wrote:

At the risk of this turning into a Q+A session - with F1 coming back to the BBC, is there going to be a Motorsport blog?

Also regarding last night - I think some of the comments you rec'd on 606 were harsh & quite unfair - it's a shame that the system broke, but let's hope it doesn't happen again.

• 6. At 4:20pm on 23 Oct 2008, kwiniaskagolfer wrote:

Alex T: Thought we had you in Columbia Saturday night. Hope the Tigers go on and win the "west" now. Good luck!

• 7. At 4:38pm on 23 Oct 2008, James-Orient wrote:

Just a general question, but who do you become an blogger on the BBC website? I envy you guys so much, it's like a dream job of mine!

• 8. At 4:52pm on 23 Oct 2008, jamminben13 wrote:

At the risk of turning this into a question and answer session but as BBC editors are the Masters of the Universe elect - What is the meaning of life?

• 9. At 5:03pm on 23 Oct 2008, Mikewsa wrote:

Well, I was able to follow scores and text on Sky.com . . . . . . .
    So still got the info I wanted.

Not quite the same though. Miss the coments, but the main aim is to know what's happening with the footie . . . . and that I did.

• 10. At 5:45pm on 23 Oct 2008, venners77 wrote:

Answer to James Orient: I'd imagine mastering basic English is a starting point.

(Sorry - cheap shot!!)

• 11. At 6:03pm on 23 Oct 2008, James-Orient wrote:

Answer to Venners77 - Everyone make mistakes! I think it's clear to see that I meant what, not 'who'.

• 12. At 6:32pm on 23 Oct 2008, oke2008 [RIP #15] wrote:

#2

oooh goodie! a blog on NFL by someone with limited knowledge full of Cliques!
    unless it's Tim then your blogger will get a hard time as quite a lot of people here know the game inside-out.

i can hear the abuse now!

• 13. At 6:42pm on 23 Oct 2008, oke2008 [RIP #15] wrote:

that brings a point! is it going to be at all possible to have a regular American Football blog on a Tuesday (after Sunday and Monday night fixtures) like is done with other sports?

• 14. At 8:12pm on 23 Oct 2008, mdiamond_uk wrote:

James-Orient, without knowing Venners77 at all, I don't think he was being serious.

After all, he does admit to it being a cheap shot in his brackets.

Just what we brits sometimes use for humour - it doesn't translate too well among strangers especially on the web.

• 15. At 8:42pm on 23 Oct 2008, Isle Of Bute wrote:

I think it would have been a good idea if the problem had been highlighted last night. It was very frustrating being unable to see the information and having no explanation for the problems.

• 16. At 10:42pm on 23 Oct 2008, WebbyFoxes wrote:

So you say that the BBC's links were broken from 19:00 untill 23:00?
    Erm..this means that your technicans were not working that good then?
    It was a pretty poor excuse from the BBC to be honest.
    I had to rely on Skysports.com to help me find the score.
    That surely would not be good for the BBC is it?

• 17. At 11:22pm on 23 Oct 2008, ArgentinaBlade wrote:

Please overload Tim Vickery with work, his pieces on South America are always excellent and I know a fair bit about the continent myself. A model of what the BBC should be about is Mr Vickery - I spent a long time in South America and I was constantly engaged in conversations with people full of respect for the BBC who used it as their main independent news source when they couldn't rely on their own government news sources for the truth, it actually was one of the main things that made me proud to be British during some otherwise humbling experiences (even Yanks rely on it!).
    Cheers.

• 18. At 02:06am on 24 Oct 2008, King-Dion wrote:

Hey BBC - a blip is fine. Your Football website is the very best by a country mile. I look at it 5 or 6 times a day and you are second to none. Thank you all very much for a brilliant and fully informative site. Myself and a million others would be lost without you. I just wonder where the money comes from to maintain such a great website. Long may you run.

• 19. At 09:44am on 24 Oct 2008, levdavidovich wrote:

I hadn't noticed. The website seemed as good as it usually is.

• 20. At 10:46am on 24 Oct 2008, Alex Trickett - wrote:

Jordan D - I can confirm that we will be launching an F1 blog next year. Our main writer will be Andrew Benson but there are likely to be other contributors.

kwiniaskagolfer - Indeed and thanks for rallying behind LSU. I'm not that confident this year. We'll need to beat Georgia, Bama and avenge Florida to get to the title game. That's tough, tough, tough.

James-Orient - With very few exceptions (Gavin Strachan etc) you need to be BBC staff to write on our blogs (anyone can comment obviously). If you want to start your own debates, you are more than welcome to do so on our 606 website:

jamminben13 - Still working on that. I'll give you an answer when I have it. ;)

oke2008 - There are no current plans to have a dedicated American Football blog, but our NFL experts Tim Love and Martin Gough will continue to debate on 606 (see link above).

ArgentinaBlade - I'll pass on your message. Thanks.

And thanks for all the comments. It's clear that there is lots of interest in our blogs - how they work, what is coming up etc. and I'm very happy to answer your questions.

I already run a feedback thread on 606 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A41681937) and will look to do the same for blogs on my blog when I get back from leave in a few weeks.

Then we can have these conversations away from Alex Gubbay's blog!

Cheers all.

Alex

• 21. At 4:24pm on 26 Oct 2008, WebbyFoxes wrote:

• 22. At 9:29pm on 28 Oct 2008, mnewboult wrote:

It seems your Championship Live Scores service isn't working tonight either (28/10/2008)

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites