BBC BLOGS - The Special 1's blog
Main | Next »

Best sporting blog in the world

The Special 1 | 14:26 UK time, Friday, 15 October 2010

Special 1

Special 1 TV, a satirical show which aired on BBC Three and the BBC Sport website during the 2010 World Cup, returns! Watch the first episode by clicking here and then read the all-new blog!

Peek-a-boo. It is me. Just when you thought I wasn't coming back, here I am. And even better than before as I am now blogging myself senseless on the BBC Sports blogsite - best sporting blog in the world, maybe even universe. And it is run by team of champions. And as I am a champion, it makes the sense that I blog with the champions. Do it.

Also I have tv show - Special 1 TV. You know it. Yes you do. It is fantastic TV show now in its 25th season... I think. Winning of awards and accolades, world renowned - it was created for interweb and interweb was created for it. Watch it here. Very nice.

Now I want to thank my fans all around the world. It was clear to you all that I had best performance of World Cup 2010 and BBC big boss thought so too. Thank you for continuing to tweet me senseless @special1tv and for doing it to me on the BBC blog. Keep doing it this season and also do it to me here in the comments below. I will be doing the reading and will include some of your comments in my show.

Also joining me once again the Boy Rooney and Sven. The boy has had challenging summer with disappointing World Cup performance, not-so-hot start to new season and of course his relationship difficulties... with Mr Alex.

And so new season is underway and all they have been talking about this week is group of men trying to get out of a hole. No, not Chilean miners (they are real champions), I'm talking about Liverpool. What holds their future? Time will tell.

Plus here it is, Jose's special managers to watch this season:

'The Mancini': He should appear on 'Stars in their eyes' saying "tonight, Matthew, I want to be The Special One". Three Words - Shut up Mancini!

Roberto Martinez: He is 'Special one-lite'. Poor taste in overcoats. Gives terrible press conference.

Alex McLeish: I think he is special. Admire the way he is able to hold down job in the Premier League while also starring in CSI Miami!

The Holloway: This is a new species of manager I have never encountered before.

And Sven: Says he will stay at Leicester for three years! Just enough time to get them to the Premier League... The Blue Square Premier League!

And Rafa: Don't mess with my eggs. My eyes are on you.

So. New season of the football and new season of Special 1 TV. Check out latest my episode of Special 1 TV here.

Be Champions!

Special 1 TV, Saturday 16 October, 22:25 BST, BBC Three

Comments

• 1. At 5:42pm on 15 Oct 2010, RetiredNo6 wrote:

Oh dear.

• 2. At 5:49pm on 15 Oct 2010, Millsy wrote:

Horrendous.

• 3. At 5:52pm on 15 Oct 2010, Im_partial wrote:

Brilliant news. Can't wait to hear the special thoughts on the special sale of Liverpool FC.

• 4. At 5:56pm on 15 Oct 2010, broly wrote:

Wow. So this is why Chris Charles and Robbo are gone? Unbelievable...

• 5. At 6:05pm on 15 Oct 2010, RicAllen89 wrote:

bring back robbo

• 6. At 6:14pm on 15 Oct 2010, Wilo wrote:

"Wow. So this is why Chris Charles and Robbo are gone? Unbelievable..."

can't say it better than that. Chris Charles' blogs were the best stuff on here, and Robbo was a hell of a lot better than this.

• 7. At 6:20pm on 15 Oct 2010, Howla_sportsfan wrote:

The Mancini comment was funny but probably because im a United fan. Not as good as the blogs of Robbo and Chris Charles from last year!

• 8. At 6:33pm on 15 Oct 2010, Bad-Mick wrote:

Truly awful - Robbo and CC dumped for this garbage. Madness. Pure waste of licence fee payers money.

Bad Mick

• 9. At 7:05pm on 15 Oct 2010, AndyPlowright wrote:

This blog is almost as bad as Phil McNulty's. Almost...

• 10. At 7:07pm on 15 Oct 2010, PaulyBoy wrote:

Oh. My. God.

I realise that Chris Charles' departure was helped by his not wanting to up sticks and move to Manchester, and actually Robbo's blogging is better now that he's not stepped on by the beeb (it's hardly Chubby Brown, but the odd bit of potty mouthdom is funny if done correctly).

I enjoyed the odd bit of special 1 tv on Setanta, but this is not a patch on the blogs we've lost here.

Under the carpet, or out the back door, either way, I shan't read again...

• 11. At 7:09pm on 15 Oct 2010, waldovski wrote:

Amateurs.

• 12. At 7:35pm on 15 Oct 2010, itsonlyagamesport wrote:

I would always argue with anyone who complained about paying for the license fee that the strength of the BBC website in its entirety(not just sport & news) and all it's contributers (bar mcnulty!) was worth the fee alone.....

Now I can't........

Shame on you beeb....... Fiddled with what was not broke and replaced it with tosh..... shame.

• 13. At 7:36pm on 15 Oct 2010, william wrote:

i could blog better than this, and all my posts get slaughtered!

• 14. At 7:51pm on 15 Oct 2010, monkeyphoenix wrote:

wow! i can't believe it. i only created a user account because after reading blog after blog of David Bond's, I just had to give feedback on just how poor and uninsightful (is that a word?) they are, just appalling.

But seriously? License money goes on THIS?!!! It's genuinely shocking how amateur this is.

BBC Sport, I wasn't close to being an avid follower of either, but what exactly were the reasons of removing Charles and Robbo again? And replacing with this?

I can't believe this blog is published. I feel like swearing a LOT but won't.

• 15. At 7:52pm on 15 Oct 2010, monkeyphoenix wrote:

i still cant beleve how poor this is

• 16. At 7:55pm on 15 Oct 2010, Fortress Lamex wrote:

dear god i'm a staunch bbc loyalist but COME ON!

what is this rubbish?!

shame we can't report the blog to the mods.

• 17. At 8:00pm on 15 Oct 2010, NEARPOSTHEADER wrote:

Not worth commenting on...whoops that was a comment.

• 18. At 8:08pm on 15 Oct 2010, Viewfromverve wrote:

Less Special One more Comical Ali. I think I died a little reading this blog

• 19. At 8:15pm on 15 Oct 2010, rileyzachary wrote:

Is this Robbo Lite? Or is it just Special One S*^te...........

Bring back Robbo and Chris Charles for orignal humour not this guff!

• 20. At 8:17pm on 15 Oct 2010, declared wrote:

great show, glad it's back.

anyone complaining about it if you don't like it don't read/watch it, simple really.

• 21. At 8:23pm on 15 Oct 2010, LimeyN wrote:

The blog will make more sense if you take a few minutes to watch some of the shows. They're all available on the web. and as declared said, if you don't like it, don't read it, and don't watch it. I couldn't be happier this is back.

Be champion.

• 22. At 8:27pm on 15 Oct 2010, MU_FC wrote:

I'm glad its back after Setanta went bust.

Robbo shouldn't have gone but don't go blaming S1TV.

• 23. At 8:42pm on 15 Oct 2010, anandmann wrote:

This is atrocious. Can we atleast have robbo back or the blog of the week. Better way of spending taxpayer money is giving it back. I guess a funny contribution per week selected from reader will do. Start that then this ridiculous special one.

All the while i was reading it, I was like what the hell is this and what it is aiming to achieve.

Can this be the last blog of this series.I know I'll be glad.

• 24. At 8:48pm on 15 Oct 2010, Asivian wrote:

Jose, howcome no mention of Sam Allardyce. I hear he feels he will do better in your seat at Real Madrid.

• 25. At 8:53pm on 15 Oct 2010, rooneysaidtotevez wrote:

I agree this is bad..but still much better than Phil's..

• 26. At 9:04pm on 15 Oct 2010, Muffin McLovin wrote:

Special1V is not a blog!!

You have to watch all the programmes and then you'll see why this is a classic and has been for a few years now.

Go to YouTube and search for videoup12, he has the all the original I'm On Setanta Sports and Special1Tv episodes. If you've only watched it now, some things will be bizarre to you, but if you know your football, then it is hilarious! Especially as an United fan watching Jose and Alex from Manchester gang up on the Voyeur and Rafa in Milan!!

• 27. At 9:06pm on 15 Oct 2010, Spiceadder wrote:

"You people need to do a little research. Is this the greatest blog ever? no, but the show is one of the funniest things on TV. I thought it had died with Setanta, didn't realise the BBC had bought it.

Be champion."

This.

• 28. At 9:27pm on 15 Oct 2010, Nat_Grosheva wrote:

Hello Jose! Love you, love the show!!!Are you as special as before?????

• 29. At 10:04pm on 15 Oct 2010, SimplyZola wrote:

You can have this tripe but you cannot have Robbo? BBC you have let yourself down.

Bring back Robbo.

• 30. At 10:26pm on 15 Oct 2010, deperer wrote:

Please, above anything else, don't bring back Robbo. I didn't know he had gone but it's a great move by the BBC if he has gone.

• 31. At 10:37pm on 15 Oct 2010, FoxesofNuneaton wrote:

As a Leicester Fan, I am anrgy about the quote about Sven getting us demoted to the Blue Sqaure Premier.
    Pathetic and atrocious....BBC you have let yourself down with this drivel and pure crap!

• 32. At 10:39pm on 15 Oct 2010, mrlowery wrote:

Jesus, so it's come to this? Bring back the halycon days of Mihir Bose's view from the top [dining table, through merlot-tinted glasses].

But hey folks, it's creating a buzz so it's got to be worth something... Am I right? Folks?

• 33. At 10:57pm on 15 Oct 2010, onebee wrote:

• 34. At 10:59pm on 15 Oct 2010, bon0bobananas wrote:

Blimey, get a life people. The special 1 shows on Setanta were quality. This one not quite as good but massively more interesting than the awful blogs that some muppets are lamenting. Oh and Leicester City fan.. er nope I can't make a bigger joke than you have already..

Be Champion

• 35. At 11:01pm on 15 Oct 2010, CiderMenof010 wrote:

YES love it. please people take some time to watch the shows; they are funny, clever and well worth it. DO IT

• 36. At 11:04pm on 15 Oct 2010, tinoasprillaisgod wrote:

this is terrible. No way will i be reading this again. At least Robbo's blogs were a bit funny!

• 37. At 11:05pm on 15 Oct 2010, tinoasprillaisgod wrote:

@Foxesofnuneaton

It was a joke. Chill out. Get off ur high horse

• 38. At 11:25pm on 15 Oct 2010, Demoremda_AJAX wrote:

is this the replacement for Chris Charles and Robbo??
    that s a sad thing

• 39. At 11:29pm on 15 Oct 2010, Tom Sawyer wrote:

Decided it would be unfair to criticise based solely on the poor attempt at a blog, so watched the clip....biggest waste of 5 minutes of my life.... I'm pretty sure i could make something funnier than this....

• 40. At 11:46pm on 15 Oct 2010, 1963Tiger wrote:

British Ballcocks Corporation

Why not outsource to India?

Oh dear!

• 41. At 00:17am on 16 Oct 2010, northernsuperspur wrote:

The saddest indictment of this blog, is that the real Jose Mourinho is actually funnier.

Really, whats the point?

• 42. At 00:32am on 16 Oct 2010, Jackovasaurus wrote:

oh dear.

• 43. At 00:33am on 16 Oct 2010, Jackovasaurus wrote:

What a muppet.

• 44. At 00:43am on 16 Oct 2010, WesBoss wrote:

Jose, what advice would you give the Nitti about keeping the Mancini, Mr Alex and the Voyeur off his back?

• 45. At 00:49am on 16 Oct 2010, blogdignag wrote:

34. At 10:59pm on 15 Oct 2010, bon0bobananas wrote:

Be Champion

.....................

thanks for that Gonzo but this blog "massively more intersting" hahhaaha good one muppet.

this blog was written by someone with no talent whatsoever. its abysmal. and for the various comments (surely witten by the author in disguise) that if we dont like it dont read it, well we pay for it and its not good enough

as has been said, the bbc had 2 top quality comedy sports blogs and lewis wiltshire threw them away. perhaps he's the problem, because publishing this drivel shows really really catastrophically poor decision making

i cant see why the other actually quite useful quangos are being torched and yet this pointless useless malfunctioning anachronistic out of touch institution still exists.

to churn out this kind of childish unfunny sub mediocrity?

dont bring back robbo, his stuff is better now hes on blogspot

• 46. At 00:52am on 16 Oct 2010, blogdignag wrote:

Privatise the BBC for gods sake put it out of its misery

• 47. At 06:35am on 16 Oct 2010, RantingMrP wrote:

Absolute rubbish. Where's Robbo?

• 48. At 07:18am on 16 Oct 2010, Closealdo wrote:

Shut up Robbo lovers. Viva la Special One!!! A blog, twitter, active facebook site, and a TV show......that's Robbo 1 - Special1 4........

• 49. At 07:25am on 16 Oct 2010, Saif wrote:

WOW!!Grt news,,i luv the show n i thought with Sentanta gone,,it will be shelved..but sum gd wrk by BBC for taking up the show..Look fwd to the series!!

• 50. At 07:30am on 16 Oct 2010, jacksofbuxton wrote:

I realise the BBC likes to naval gaze and big itself up,but this PR self promotion guff is appalling.

Robbo is available elsewhere.

As is Chris Charles

• 51. At 07:52am on 16 Oct 2010, faf680 wrote:

Great to see you back! I'll round up the Pakistani fan club again. We missed you buddy. With a solid company like the BBC backing you, you can't go wrong this time.

Please make fun of Zalatan Ibrahimovich at Milan. It would also be great to see some tension between Zidane and Benzema seeing at though the former has snubbed the latter.

• 52. At 08:11am on 16 Oct 2010, mambo wrote:

This is a new low for the BBC, wouldn't the writer have been better employed as the 26th member of the BBC reporting crew on the jolly to Chili last week..

• 53. At 11:15am on 16 Oct 2010, Bongo Christ wrote:

Superb news to see the special 1 back & to all those haters out there ............ Shut up!

• 54. At 8:21pm on 16 Oct 2010, Dave the hedgehog- Doitchampions wrote:

All those Robbo fans who will not even give this blog or the show a chance- go away & cry elsewhere so that the rest of us can enjoy the genius of Jose dos santos mourinho & his special friend Mario Rosenstock

• 55. At 05:43am on 17 Oct 2010, Dave the hedgehog- Doitchampions wrote:

i forgot to say.....
    Jose - do you think that the Roy Hodgeson sounds like Fagen from the 60's film OLIVER?
    Could Roy have been mascarading as the shylock picking a pocket or two?

PS...Maybe he could be nicknamed FAGEN !!!

• 56. At 06:11am on 17 Oct 2010, Dave the hedgehog- Doitchampions wrote:

• 57. At 03:13am on 18 Oct 2010, l1bertine wrote:

anybody else read this with a jose accent??

• 58. At 11:04am on 18 Oct 2010, Dave the hedgehog- Doitchampions wrote:

@l1bertine ...I do & lets face it you have to because if you read it hearing Jose in your head (either real or puppet version)then it is so much funnier than if you do not.
    I wouldn't mind betting that th majority of the people who dislike this blog (just because Robbo's gone sniff sniff)havent seen the show or they havent read it using the forementioned Jose voice in their heads.
    If you don't read it that way then it does & will seem a bit lame.
    JOSE dos santos Mourinho RULES the blogosphere.

• 59. At 3:56pm on 18 Oct 2010, jacksofbuxton wrote:

Dave,the voices in your head aren't helping your argument.....

• 60. At 4:10pm on 18 Oct 2010, BaggieMike wrote:

• 61. At 4:16pm on 18 Oct 2010, BaggieMike wrote:

Sigh,

Wow this is appalling, and @ Dave, i have seen the program, and yes i have read this in a Jose style voice, and the funniest thing about that is the Jose style voice, (which is nothing like his real voice) the content is still utter tripe, whoever writes really needs thier head examining, did they seriously get paid to write this!!!!!!

Come on, a chilean miner joke 1) thats old now already, 2) it wasnt a good joke to start with - i presume you stole it of (un-pc joke website), 3) bad taste.

Went and re read the blog, and managed to find a second joke - the bit about Sven at leiscter, - which is just plain unfunny.

• 62. At 03:55am on 19 Oct 2010, Dave the hedgehog- Doitchampions wrote:

@Baggiemike & here was i expecting to convert everyone (my life will never be complete).
    My youtube channel dedicated to the show & it's fans has approaching 3000.000 views (yes MILLION) & the show has won awards so obviously an awful lot of people love Mario Rosenstocks caracature of Jose (including the real mourinho)& many of them are respected football bloggers & journo's
    This blogs predesessor could only dream of such popularity (& by some accounts he was pretty good)but times have changed so get on board or ship out, it's as simple as that.
    Im sorry you don't like it Mike but lets face it you are in a minority of football fans....This is a blog obviously aimed at & for fans of the show so SEE YA.

• 63. At 08:48am on 19 Oct 2010, SS11 wrote:

Self promotion and gloating - is that the only motive left in BBC blogs these days?

Long Live Robbo and CC. Glad I am still following them elsewhere.

• 64. At 10:16am on 19 Oct 2010, Dave the hedgehog- Doitchampions wrote:

Is it just me or are these Robbo & co lovers getting their knickers in a twist over ABSOLUTLY NOTHING?
    Er...you can (as stated several times in these comments)read them elseware, so why the cry baby "i paid my license fee & im gonna throw my toys out the pram" ACT? i don't get it.
    Do you REALLY expect the Beeb to be able to keep every licence payer happy? &

• 65. At 4:00pm on 21 Oct 2010, Dave the hedgehog- Doitchampions wrote:

NEWSFLASH
    The Boy Wayne is leaving Man UTD due to the boards refusal to initiate asupply a "free brown sauce" clause for The Boys chip butty contract !Section 3A paragraph 5 i believe, subsection 3 (Buttys & other northern sundries)

This reminds me of the Roy Keane/BONIO Controversy there Jose