BBC BLOGS - Sarah Holt
IN ASSOCIATION WITH

New home proves perfect for Button to unwind

Sarah Holt | 11:22 UK time, Thursday, 29 July 2010

It is an incongruous sight watching a man addicted to speed at one with the languid pace of island life on Guernsey.

After moving from Monaco to a new home on the Channel Island, Jenson Button is simultaneously training for the London Triathlon and the rigours of F1 racing.

The McLaren driver has learned to time his swims to the tidal patterns of the English Channel and to zip on a wetsuit against its chill waters.

Buffeted by island breezes, he cycles along the coastal roads and runs round the island's cliff-top paths, stopping to ask directions from a group of the island's retired female residents.

"It's an absolutely beautiful island," Button said in an interview which will be broadcast on BBC One's pre-race show for the Hungarian Grand Prix.

"It is so different from the circus we live in. Our job is flat out all the time, especially with McLaren.

In order to see this content you need to have both Javascript enabled and Flash installed. Visit BBC Webwise for full instructions. If you're reading via RSS, you'll need to visit the blog to access this content.

"I need this to relax and recharge the batteries and Guernsey is the perfect place to do it."

Button's definition of rest and recuperation, however, extends beyond sampling the island's famous ice-cream on one of its beaches.

The 30-year-old is training for another tilt at the London Triathlon on 8 August, after finishing last year in a new personal best of two hours and seven minutes round the Olympic-standard course, which involves a 1500m swim, 40km bike ride and a 10km run.

"Resting for me is fitness training," says Button, who is competing to earn money for the Make A Wish charity.

"When I'm cycling round the island I'm thinking about nothing but cycling. I don't want to be day-dreaming about racing all day and when I get on the bike I feel like I'm in another world."

Button says he began competing in triathlon three years ago to lift him out of a low period in F1 when he was struggling at the back of the field with an uncompetitive Honda.

"The car was tough to drive and we weren't getting the results we thought we deserved," he explains.

"For me, triathlons were something that was down to me and my fitness.

"Now, I really enjoy the pain in the triathlon of chasing someone down. It's a bit like chasing down Nico Rosberg in the last few laps at Silverstone - it makes you feel alive."

His triathlon training dovetails with the physical fitness he needs for the rigours of racing.

Contrary to popular opinion, F1 drivers are highly tuned athletes and need strong necks and legs, supple arms and cardiovascular conditioning similar to a marathon runner.

"You're pulling 4-5G for a lot of the corners around the lap," explains Button. "We build up lactic acid because there are a lot of vibrations in the car, and you have to have strong legs to hit the brake pedal. We need to be fit to do every lap at 100%.

"I'm excited by [the grand prix in] Hungary and then there's the triathlon. Fingers crossed I'll do a good job."

Comments

• 1. At 12:05pm on 29 Jul 2010, BMC_boy wrote:

I spotted Jenson at the Windsor triathlon last year and the thing that really strikes me about him is that he is a plain and simple nice bloke, going about and doing what he enjoys. He was happy to chat about triathlon, his bike, racing and also oblige for some photos.
    It's great to see a high-profile sports star doing something other than purely pleasing their sponsors!

• 2. At 12:08pm on 29 Jul 2010, FenhamHall wrote:

This is all fine. But I'd rather Jenson Button and his fellow UK based F1 drivers actually paid taxes in this country. It would raise a lot more money than such charity events, show solidarity and kinship with people from this country and a degree of loyalty. Until then, I can't take Jenson and Lewis close to my heart as sportsmen, because in my eyes they're not paying their way. Why should they get all the adulation of being British sports stars if they're not willing to pay for the privilege of being British and the support they've received for many years from this country.

Walk on privileged button. I'm not interested in your charitable activities..

• 3. At 12:46pm on 29 Jul 2010, Ron_Arne_Riise wrote:

I think you will find it is Jersey that is famous for it's Ice cream. It is also without doubt the better island, with much nicer beaches :)

• 4. At 12:58pm on 29 Jul 2010, snoobab22 wrote:

Jersey makes Afganistan look like the Seychelles. BUTTON FOR 2010 CHAMPIONSHIP

• 5. At 1:07pm on 29 Jul 2010, slumpy wrote:

Every inch a world champion and a nice bloke just getting on with his life, in contrast to the constant media madness surrounding Ferrari and Red Bull [and no, it's not lost on me that this is a media interview!]. It's great to see someone who has all the pressures of the other teams dealing with it all in a much more relaxed and mature way than the stamping feet you seem to see elsewhere.

• 6. At 1:16pm on 29 Jul 2010, partialfitness wrote:

I am prety sure that today's formula 1 driver have to be very well conditioned to handle today's cars but do they really have to have "cardiovascular conditioning similar to a marathon runner" ? I'm not at all convinced, especially an elite runner.

Nevertheless, good luck to Jenson in London.

• 7. At 1:34pm on 29 Jul 2010, Peter Fox wrote:

2. At 12:08pm on 29 Jul 2010, FenhamHall wrote:
    This is all fine. But I'd rather Jenson Button and his fellow UK based F1 drivers actually paid taxes in this country. It would raise a lot more money than such charity events.

What utter rubbish you write - His earnings are based on worldwide activities and give him the opportunity to live anywhere in the world. That he choses to avail himself of a legitimate option to reduce his taxation yet remain involved with the UK is to be applauded.
    What you should be campaigning for is the reduction of taxation for all.
    I am sick of being screwed on a monthly basis by having to give over 40% of my hard earned to pay for the incompetence of government. Luckily for JB and LH and more they get an option - good luck to them.
    You are just a miserable, sad and jealous individual.

• 8. At 2:01pm on 29 Jul 2010, Charade_uk wrote:

My girlfriend did the London Triathlon last year and finished 5 minutes behind Jenson. Admittedly he started an hour after her but I was still proud.

Good luck Jenson.

• 9. At 2:22pm on 29 Jul 2010, Charade_uk wrote:

I'm not sure it's Fenham who sounds miserable and jealous Peter.

• 10. At 2:55pm on 29 Jul 2010, Melx wrote:

2. At 12:08pm on 29 Jul 2010, FenhamHall wrote:

Walk on privileged button. I'm not interested in your charitable activities..

.........................................................

Yeah, right... His taxes would raise a lot of money for the Government to waste however they see fit. I think you'd be suprised how much Jenson (and other very rich people) give to Charity and that money goes directly to people that need it.

The Government raises taxes from cigarettes to spend on weapons, charities deal with the consequences of smoking and war... I know where I'd rather my money was going.

• 11. At 3:43pm on 29 Jul 2010, karting_george wrote:

Melx I couldn't agree with you more, Fenham Hall, you seem very envious. If I manage to earn that sort out of money in the future I would be on the first plane out of Britain, income tax is a total rip off. Why give your money to a nanny government. Cap off to Jenson and Lewis, they haven't only got racing brains...

• 12. At 3:46pm on 29 Jul 2010, karting_george wrote:

and other point, we are robed of seeing top athletes compete in this country, eg Usain Bolt, because the tax system wants to take a sixth of his total earnings worlwide if he only vists a certain amount of times! good one!

• 13. At 4:26pm on 29 Jul 2010, london Stock Exchange wrote:

Nice guy and probably the best driver in the F1 line up..Moving to jersey was as a result of tax rises.Pity we need more English drivers in F1.

• 14. At 5:03pm on 29 Jul 2010, Lewis Standing wrote:

#6 Partialfitness. Hopefully I will be able to spread some light on the fitness situation. As Jenson mentioned in the video, in some Grand Prix such as Malaysia the driver can lose 4-5L of fluid. I suspect your scepticism about the required fitness levels come from the assumed lower energy demands, because after all the driver is sat down.
    However that viewpoint is to underestimate the impact of heat and waterloss both from the intravascular and extravascular spaces on the ability of the cardiovascular system to achieve oxygen deliverance.
    Formula One drivers require to be very fit, so that their cardiovascular system has a high as possible base threshold. This threshold is greatly reduced in dehydrated states, which they are often in towards the end of a race, particularly a relatively hotter one. In a dehydrated state not only is physical effort more difficult due to decreased oxygen and subrate deliverance, both carbon dioxide and lactic acid removal from tissues is more difficult. This means that the cardiovascular system has to use even more effort to maintain homeostasis. The maintainance of homeostasis (adequate balance of blood volume and contents) is essential for the quick decision making required.

I hope I have pitched this right, and not made any mistakes. Although I do not reference my assertations, I believe them all to be factually correct. I do not deliberately mislead.

• 15. At 5:28pm on 29 Jul 2010, tinyH wrote:

Fenham,
    What planet are you on, everyone has a right to live where ever they want. Hats of to Jenson and anoyone else who can see the light. You know, you don't have to live in Britain to be British. There are some great things about our country and i'm proud of that, but there are some not so great things too. I voted with my feet and emigrated to Canada.

• 16. At 5:58pm on 29 Jul 2010, saudisafc wrote:

I think Jense is getting old lol, trading in monaco for guernsey. But it's just another way that helps him to be relaxed, and as we know he is the most relaxed driver out there, which has got him at the top of his game.

I still believe if McLaren can stay strong Jenson will win the championship, as long as he can consistently qualify well.

• 17. At 5:59pm on 29 Jul 2010, Roy Bisson wrote:

Tut Tut Rob Jones - Jenson has moved to Guernsey - much better than Jersey by any score. Divided by 20 miles of clear blue water. The ice cream is justifiably famous.
    Needless to say, Jenson is most welcome here. We all hope he enjoys our island and stays. He has already built up a considerable following of fans - but they won't hassle him.

• 18. At 6:28pm on 29 Jul 2010, Mancun Ian wrote:

Some of the comment so far have been about UK F1 drivers moving to other countries to avoid paying full income tax on their earnings, and I would make the following two points...

1. If we could afford to avoid paying the level of tax that we do, most people would.

2. Have the people complaining about these drivers (and other starts from sport and music) avoiding tax ever purchased anything from those famous internet sites based on the channel islands, in order to get their items/greetings cards cheaper by avoiding full UK VAT?

Racing drivers, footballers and music stars bring huge amounts of money into the companies they work for (who pay corporation tax), and I feel they are entitled to a fair share of the monies they bring in.

Many would say that their salaries are grossly inflated, but I doubt any one would reject a payrise from their own boss.

• 19. At 6:36pm on 29 Jul 2010, Kubali wrote:

'Maybe if you came out of the box that you seem to live in, you might see that the world is much bigger place!'

Yes, but having lived in a number of other places in the world, Britain is actually quite a decent place to live so I get equally fed-up with people moaning about it. Taxes - their higher on mainland Europe you know, but heh each to their own. Also we are in a period where the government has to tax us more, they have no option as the nation is in the red - or did you lot not live through the financial meltdown?!

With regards to Jenson, the man does have the option to live in many places in the world, but to be honest he will only live in places with low rates of tax - the Channel Island, Monaco, Dubai etc... I'm sure he would rather be in Somerset if he had a choice.

• 20. At 8:13pm on 29 Jul 2010, Lord_Lancashire wrote:

Jenson is a brilliant bloke, and an excellent world champion. Great to have to British world champions now, after a bit of a barren spell since Damon Hill's 1996 success.

I enjoyed watching the two English lads being interviewed at the German Grand Prix by Jake, Eddie and David - the stars of the future hopefully! Fingers crossed that they make it into F1, preferably with at least a half-decent team. :)

• 21. At 9:01pm on 29 Jul 2010, McWelk wrote:

10. At 2:55pm on 29 Jul 2010, Melx wrote:

.........................................................................

I think You'll find that the tax on cigarettes is in fact a hypothecated tax, meaning that it is spent specifically on things to do with the good itself, so the government actually gives the taxes raised from cigarettes to the NHS to spend on smoking related illnesses, as declared by the then chancellor of the exchequer, Gordon Brown, in 1999. They do not, as you have said, spend it on weapons.

I don't agree with FenhamHall though, I think that what Jenson has earned outside the country does not require him to pay UK taxes on it, he is perfectly law-abiding.

• 22. At 9:22pm on 29 Jul 2010, GodsSon83 wrote:

• 23. At 9:39pm on 29 Jul 2010, sTUART wrote:

OK. Lewis was our last F1 Champ, not Nigel. Did we forget Lord_Lancashire?
    Corporation tax is the one way the UK earns from F1. This is why our government should support silverstone. To keep the investment on our shores. Many other coutries have Government support. There are lots of F1 teams based near silverstone.
    The drivers work all over the world and should be free to decide which country they live in and pay tax for.
    I think it's great to have two British drivers fighting for the championship, having lead the last two years between them! One for the history books!
    Bring it on!

• 24. At 10:38pm on 29 Jul 2010, Kubali wrote:

'Income Tax is a con, we get taxed on everything. We even have to pay tax to watch T.V, catch fish, buy food to eat, clothes. Why would anyone wnat to live in U.K Hmmmmmmm The government made the debt we ll pay back through taxs, modern day slaves. Good on you button Good '

Shock, I think you will find you get taxed in most places in the world and they also tax people on food, clothes blah blah etc... I happen to agree with the TV license to be fair because I like the BBC.

Unless you're planning to live in a 'tx haven' you wil get stuck with paying taxes on most things in any country on earth. And even there I know it is hard for the people who aren't millionaires/

• 25. At 11:38pm on 29 Jul 2010, sportaholic wrote:

I'm thinking FenhamHall may just be jealous, and why are people always so dam negative... Can you blame Button for living there? Can anyone really honestly say that given the choice they wouldn't live in a tax haven? I know I would!
    Good luck to Jenson in both F1 and the triathlon. Hope he wins the F1 championship and raises a stack of cash for charity.

• 26. At 05:33am on 30 Jul 2010, royalspur wrote:

McWelk... no taxes in the UK are hypothecated, no matter what Brown said.All the TAX information is in the treasury "RED" book..all income that the Goverment recivies goes into the Treasury coffers (see below)

• 27. At 08:32am on 30 Jul 2010, aveli667 wrote:

fenhamhall, i think button and hamilton have paid more tax in britain than you and your family from your great great grand parents right down to your children, neices and nephews. how much more fair can they be?

• 28. At 12:22pm on 30 Jul 2010, Shitbrick wrote:

2. At 12:08pm on 29 Jul 2010, FenhamHall wrote:

I spend the greater proportion of the year outside the country working offshore and as a result get a tax free income. Why shouldn't Jenson? I am sure he spends even more time outside of the UK than me, so why should he pay UK tax on his earnings. I say fair play to him for the charitable work he is doing. No doubt it goes to a better cause than the tax he 'should' be paying.

• 29. At 1:20pm on 30 Jul 2010, vinebob wrote:

Couple of points about some of the comments here, Firstly its been scientifically proved that Guernsey Milk is better than Jersey Milk, so therefore Guernsey ice cream must be the best. Secondly, we all pay taxes in Guernsey, Jensen is here for the quality of the lifestyle, natural beauty and good fresh fish we catch here.

• 30. At 2:48pm on 30 Jul 2010, craptiger wrote:

I agree with most comments regarding FenhamHall's views, but feel I must point out to Peter Fox that not everybody earns enough to be able to complain about 40% tax - if only!

• 31. At 10:47am on 31 Jul 2010, Sarah Holt wrote:

Hello everyone. Thanks for all your comments and interest. I just wanted to let you know that the feature showing Jenson Button training for his second London Triathlon will now be shown on Sunday's pre-race programme which begins on BBC One at 1205 BST. The blog has been updated with the new transmission day too.

Thanks

• 32. At 12:21pm on 01 Aug 2010, Always Blurting wrote:

Hey, give the Tories (and Wib Dems) a chance.

• 33. At 3:51pm on 01 Aug 2010, jhurfy5 wrote:

I'd think you'll find that Guernsey is the most nicest island, tranquil, peaceful, beautiful full of culture and local delights. Unlike Jersey which has modernised itself far too much and lost all its finest qualities it did have.
    I love living here in Guernsey, Jenson you are a legend!

• 34. At 12:01pm on 14 Jun 2011, one flew over the badgers nest wrote:

@#4 ron_arne_riise

actually i think that you will find that Guernsey ice cream is more famous than Jersey ice cream due to the higher fat content of the local milk. and being a born and bred Guernseyman i think i should know....

• 35. At 12:05pm on 14 Jun 2011, one flew over the badgers nest wrote: