BBC BLOGS - Robbo Robson
IN ASSOCIATION WITH

Winter workhorses rule!

Robbo Robson | 10:09 UK time, Friday, 30 January 2009

I dunno about you lot but this winter feels a bit nippier than recent ones. Last Saturday it wasn't much fun getting up for the Blue Bell's match.

Some of the younger lads in our team have been letting the side down a bit, mind. They've got skill, pace and quick feet but do they really need mittens? They were brought up here in the North-East, home of the 10 B&H rolled into the cap-sleeved T-shirt in mid-Jan.

One of them polled up in a pair of piggin' tights before Christmas! All right, not the sheer American tan type but it still made him look part-Shakespearean and a right jessie.

Tim Cahill

These lads have to realise that if it's a tad chilly you just run around a bit more. Show-ponies get shown up in these months and your main men come through. If the Liverpool players want to keep warm they can always place their hands either side of Rafa's head and thaw out in the steam coming out of his post-match ears.

Wednesday night's match was 'crazy', he says. What? You mean Michael Brown was clogging someone? What's new? Brown thinks balls are shin-shaped. It was another two points dropped through negativity. A good way to protect a lead is score another. It's not rocket science.

Maybe it's this relentless frostiness that has meant that it's not been the greatest season for the creative types in their woolly warmers. Last year there was a lot of purring punditry particularly as the gelled tumbler turned his tricks. Not in 08-09.

Many teams are lining up in a 4-5-1. Everton are busy mastering the 5-5. There's not enough space on the pitch to swing an elbow.

Villa continue to thrive with a defence tighter than a High Street Bank lending policy, and two pacy chancers up front. And if Heskey scores on his debut, you know the manager's touched by a higher power (in O'Neill's case, that supernatural being is probably The Lord Clough).

Then of course the best team in the country at the moment (that's me writing through gritted teeth) has the meanest defence of all. So mean that even Van der Sar - a chap who last season looked about as reliable as a Michael Owen ligament - can claim a Premier League record.

So unless you're West Brom or Hull City, whose back fours look like they've been gripped by the Norovirus from time to time, you'll be picking out your scrappers and workers as your top lads thus far.

I include the likes of Lampard in that. Put him in an England shirt and his radar goes well off sometimes but he's been the one thing keeping Scolari afloat just recently just as much as Gerrard is for Rafa.

But for me, the stand-out performers this season have been Vidic and Cahill. The latter was slow to get into his stride but there can't be a club in the world who wouldn't cherish the bloke.

A Blue Bell regular prone to the outlandish statement described Cahill as the best header of a ball in world football. Outraged, I ran my fingers through my ever increasing beard, picking out a bit of mozzarella cheese and some pork scratchings on the way (I tell you there's a packed lunch squirreled away in them whiskers already) and was unable to come up with a better name.

He is the proverbial salmon. He's got that Denis Law technique off-pat. You know, that thing where a player can appear to hang in the air like a majestic eagle whilst gravity takes hold of the poor earthbound mortals all around them. Cahill's so good he almost makes Everton worth watching (actually no one is that good). And he lacks any of the flouncing that you might get from other top players.

You have no strikers - you ask him to play centre-forward - he says "yep, but can I still track back and get me fair share of yellow cards?" "Be my guest," says Moyes.

You look at Anelka and Drogba and you wonder if they could take a leaf out of Tim's book. What are they like them two, eh? It must be hell when they end up in the gents at the same time, fixing their hair and tidying up their eyeliner or whatever these lads do these days.

Oooooh I bet you could cut the atmosphere with a knife! I hope there's not a day when they turn up on the pitch wearing the same gloves! Can you imagine that, girl-friend! Miaoww!

Vidic is that old-fashioned thing - a tower of strength. He's like JT without the backaches. He's like Titus Bramble, except he's good. There are other candidates for CB of the season - Davies, Laursen (before the injury), Carragher when he's not pointlessly stuck at right-back, Jagielka - but Vidic has been nannying Evans while Rio's been out and there's been no noticeable difference.

It'll be interesting to see who picks up the Football Writers and PFA awards this year. It'd be good to think that a lad outside the big four might win them.

Ashley Young is maybe in with a shout. And there's still time for Robbie Keane if he can get back into a Spurs shirt as soon as possible. And let's not forget one of the most dangerous crossers of a ball that the Premier League's seen. If he keeps taking the cod-liver oil for his shoulder joints, could Rory Delap get a gong?

Personally, I'd like to give it to Shay Given. Eleven years he's been playing behind that defence. Centre-backs that could reduce an opposition frontline to a fit of the giggles. Managers that have come and gone with all the frequency of a Katie Price breast-op. And all the time he's kept his head down and saved the sorry bunch in front of him.

Given's spent his Magpies' career like Ripley in Alien... in Geordieland no one can hear you scream! One by one his colleagues have dropped like flies, savaged by the monster that is NUFC, and he's had enough. He deserves one of them honorary awards for services to lost causes, poor fella. I hope Man City give him riches beyond his ken.

Comments

• 1. At 11:21am on 30 Jan 2009, basslady wrote:

Haha. Wonder what division Newcastle would be in now without Given.

Absolutely bricking it about tomorrow (Boro fan).

• 2. At 11:39am on 30 Jan 2009, Lost in quantum rift wrote:

Cahill is GOD!!!

Simple as that.

• 3. At 11:40am on 30 Jan 2009, Robbing_Hoody wrote:

"Brown thinks balls are shin shaped"

Quality as always Robbo.

• 4. At 11:44am on 30 Jan 2009, wengitari wrote:

How very interesting. Basically, as an Everton fan.. you've decided to write a blog about Cahill being "so good" and that "there can't be a club in the world who wouldn't cherish the bloke".

Isn't is nice that Everton have had a bit of form recently?

Wow.

Oh, you also managed your regular dig at Benitez and the Liverpool players.

Nevermind, jealousy won't get you anywhere. You'll have to settle for another poor outcome to your typical season again.

I heard a rumour you are paid for this rabble? please tell me they were joking.

• 5. At 11:44am on 30 Jan 2009, Ali_Don wrote:

Tim Cahill is the next best thing to sex and I'm not even an Everton fan. The bloke is absolutely brilliant.

• 6. At 11:53am on 30 Jan 2009, Robbo Robson wrote:

Oh no #4! Not the 'you like a player from a team I don't support and therefore you like that team and you hate mine' argument. Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    No, sunshine. I support the Boro. Don't even dream of telling me how bad my season might be.

• 7. At 11:54am on 30 Jan 2009, boromanutdboy wrote:

Great blog as usual Robbo!

Keep up the good work.

In Geordie land no one can hear you scream!

Brilliant! I think the least they can do is let Given leave after all the years of torment from the defence in front of him.

We might see Michael Owen in a new Aliens film if he doesn't leave in the summer.

Spot on about Vidic and Cahill, two unsung heroes who are contributing to where their respective teams are in the league. I think Vidic has been better than Rio so far this season especially as you say the way he has looked after Evans in the centre of defence.

I look forward to your next one!

• 8. At 11:54am on 30 Jan 2009, Saccas wrote:

great blog Robbo,

About player of the year, what about Hangeland at Fulham? He's been a rock at the back for them. And Bosingwa has been a revelation at Chelsea this season.

Otherwise i'm a 100% behind you with the Cahill shout. Him and Arteta in the past couple of weeks have been outstanding and they didn't deserve what happened wednesday night...but same old jammy Arsenal (how many goals do they score in the last 5 minutes of games!?!)

Rafa seems to have lost the plot. Never take on Fergie unless you're sure that you're gonna comme out on top. Has nobody learnt from what happened to Keegan?

Looks like a two way fight for the title, Man Utd and Chelsea. Although I do hope that Aston Villa last the distance. Finally someone could break into the famous "Big-Four", and being a Wycombe fan, I will always support Martin O'Neill wherever he goes.

• 9. At 11:54am on 30 Jan 2009, Davedidds wrote:

#4. He's not an Everton fan.

Another touchy Liverpool fan all grumpy cos its turning out not to be your year yet again!

• 10. At 11:58am on 30 Jan 2009, SyKop wrote:

Touché Robbo, that was well funny; and a good blog by the way.

Cahill has been good for Everton with headed goals in the last 3 games... but can Everton really rely on this player for too long?

Being a Liverpool fan, I reckon our season is doomed, or will be if we do not beat Chelsea Sunday... either a very interesting game, or one of the old cancelled out bore draws no-one, especially me, wants to see!

Either way, we have to win...everything from now on if we do not want to be reduced to a laughing stock come March 14th when we go head to head with the World Champions.

• 11. At 11:59am on 30 Jan 2009, SyKop wrote:

Why does this crappy blog not accept accents on text - argh!

• 12. At 11:59am on 30 Jan 2009, Clartmaster wrote:

• 13. At 12:01pm on 30 Jan 2009, wengitari wrote:

My apologies Robbo, I got you mixed up with your colleague Phil McNulty.

Have to say though, your articles are becoming incredibly similar in style over the last 2 weeks....

Heck, i don't care which players you like - but mistaking you for Phil, i found it no suprise that you were backing Cahill there.

• 14. At 12:01pm on 30 Jan 2009, villaox wrote:

"Van der Sar - a chap who last season looked about as reliable as a Michael Owen ligament"

Brilliant as always robbo. you put the other writers to shame mate

• 15. At 12:02pm on 30 Jan 2009, Robbo Robson wrote:

I reckon Liverpool will win Sunday. Scruffy 1-0 (Gerrard 72 mins). The last 20 mins will be a backs to the wall Rafa special where the gaffer brings on every holding midfielder he can find - and asks Keane to play right back too - and that will be sufficient cos Chelsea are a bit clueless upfront and have to wait for hand-outs from teams like the Boro to get past anyone.

• 16. At 12:05pm on 30 Jan 2009, Robbo Robson wrote:

#13.
    Apology accepted. I've been called a United fan so often on this blog being mistaken for a Toffee was actually a pleasant change. But as I mentioned Vidic in glowing terms, someone will be on here saying I'm up Fergie's trouser-leg all the time.

• 17. At 12:06pm on 30 Jan 2009, the1armedman wrote:

• 18. At 12:06pm on 30 Jan 2009, wengitari wrote:

No really.... all my comments were merely because I mixed you up with Phil.

I take it all back, and feel free to delete my earlier post =)

• 19. At 12:07pm on 30 Jan 2009, Mellors Moobs wrote:

Vidic is the best Defender in the league, he is a class apart !!!

Cahill is brilliant too and deserves all the plaudits.

And the "brown thinks the ball id shin shapped" comment is class!

Brilliant post !

• 20. At 12:09pm on 30 Jan 2009, mape_ventura wrote:

Robbo are you working over-time? the blogs are coming like a Wayne Rooney dash into the box, thick and fast!!

Keep up the funnies. I remember when Michael Brown actually looked like a football at Sheff United, Steve Bruce must have beat that out of him.

Ignore the scousers comments, they don't mean it, things are a bit 'crazy' for them at the minute.

• 21. At 12:10pm on 30 Jan 2009, mape_ventura wrote:

-------------------------------------------

I meant 'footballer' not football.

• 22. At 12:14pm on 30 Jan 2009, jabe1961 wrote:

#17
    What are you doing on the Robbo blog if you want to read "informative journalism"? Most of us come here for a bit of light relief during our working days.

• 23. At 12:15pm on 30 Jan 2009, Salford-theheight-Red wrote:

Vidic this, Vidic that, Vidic for England.

There you go again, up Fergie's trouser-leg all the time.

• 24. At 12:18pm on 30 Jan 2009, Dazz wrote:

"Vidic is that old-fashioned thing - a tower of strength. He's like JT without the backaches. He's like Titus Bramble, except he's good." - fab!

"Managers that have come and gone with all the frequency of a Katie Price breast-op." - funniest

"If the Liverpool players want to keep warm they can always place their hands either side of Rafa's head and thaw out in the steam coming out of his post-match ears." - just brilliant!

Brilliant,brilliant article and as usual with a huge dose of humour. Robbo for president!

• 25. At 12:22pm on 30 Jan 2009, ArgieWizard wrote:

Latest blog was digestible until the "Can you imagine that, girl-friend! Miaoww!" line, at which point I started crying and cut off my own fingers in protest.

• 26. At 12:23pm on 30 Jan 2009, LebowskisRug wrote:

I am a Liverpool fan, and am just surprised that Cahill has slipped under the radar for so long. He has been immense for Everton for years. Everyone talks about Arteta, but Cahill is the one Everton player I would want to sign.

As for Young, hope he keeps up the good form! Villa are doing great, and it is good to see them doing so with so many English players in the team. I wonder if O'neill isn't trying to get to the stage where he can actually field an English XI and still win?

• 27. At 12:26pm on 30 Jan 2009, James_Toneys_gut wrote:

I wouldn't worry about the paranoid 'big 4' fans too much Robbo.

Though if I may have a minor rant of my own I hope you will indulge me. First off, I always read your blog and was pleased to hear Tiny Tim get a mention, the last 'Mr Everton' we had was a Giagantic Scot, now we have a Samoen bor Auzzy, strange world eh? Though its become a bit of a media myth since the second Anfield derby that all we do is defend. We had little choice in that match and inbetween have played some very good football. The Hull game, the Sunderland game and a right old ding dong with Villa. Anyway, thats my minor rant over, keep up the good work!

• 28. At 12:34pm on 30 Jan 2009, Bangforyourbuck wrote:

Robbo, forget about just being centre-back of the season, I think Vidic should be named as overall PLAYER of the season at this rate. Not only has he marshalled that defence to make it tighter than you on Valentine's Day, but he has come up with crucial goals for ManUre.

It pains me because the guy above me in our work dream team league has him in his team, whereas I have the likes of Richard Dunne who is too busy trying to win the own goals and red-card championship than actually defend.

And is anyone else really NOT looking forward to the Chelsea v Liverpool game this weekend? Talk about an immovable object v well... another immovable object. It's going to be like placing two tortoises at either end of a very narrow tunnel and watching them trying to get by each other...

• 29. At 12:34pm on 30 Jan 2009, Fireman wrote:

Firstly, I'd like to apologise to all who i criticised for criticsing rafa before wednesday. Robbo may have a point that Rafa has lost the plot but Im not sure he's that far gone as Liverpool havent exactly slipped to 10th or the relegation places.

I think wearing gloves whilst plaing football is not a bad thing especially if your a diapora from another country like myself or born in a hot country as this country is cold and most black and arabic players are from hot countries but they sacrafice that to come to this league for a better opportunity. I see what people mean in a sense when they say people shouldnt play in gloves as it takes a phycological edge from your game as you feel to comfortable, but I guess professional players are in a zone when there on the pitch and are suppose to be focused on the game.

• 30. At 12:34pm on 30 Jan 2009, Eddy Cordoza wrote:

No.17: the1armedman

"Gibberish as usual. This "look, i'm like one of you normal blokes" attitudes really insults those of us who actually want to read some informative journalism, not just a load of 'funny' similes."

I think you might win the prize for Unintentional Comedian of the Year with this comment (or at least give Rafa Benitez a run for his money).

This is a jokey blog, written by someone called 'Robbo Robson'! All the clues are there. The picture, the name, the fact he starts with "I dunno about you lot but this winter feels a bit nippier than recent ones."

• 31. At 12:34pm on 30 Jan 2009, The TM wrote:

Huh?!?! No 4, forget it if you try to diss Robbo 'the Boro' Robson. He aint no Everton. And oh, by the way!!! Liverpool is sliding down and Everton might just nick a place above you guys.

Forget about me (a Gunner, but nowadays I might be one of them squishing water guns instead) we'll end up at no 10 or something because Arsene can't see the economics of buying Arshenevin or whatever's his name that Russian bloke.

Great stuff Robbo as usual, but do you really think Liverpool will win, I see a 1-1 written all over this one........

And oh, you gonner loose that beard this weeknd because i predict a win for Boro.

• 32. At 12:36pm on 30 Jan 2009, supa1878 wrote:

Hey #8, what's this about 'finally someone could break into the famous "Big Four"'
    Are you too young to remember EVERTON doing it 4 seasons ago???

PS Your English is good for a Norwegian.

• 33. At 12:40pm on 30 Jan 2009, Red_Sam_ThisYearHonest! wrote:

• 34. At 12:41pm on 30 Jan 2009, LebowskisRug wrote:

Come on now, give ol #4 a break, he has already apologised for his ill-advised attack. Talk about kicking a bloke when he's down ...

• 35. At 12:45pm on 30 Jan 2009, supa1878 wrote:

Gotta disagree with you James_Tonys_Gut even though you're a fellow Toffee it's only in "The Disturbed One's" head that all we do is defend.
    Someone please ask him how come the 'defending team' were 1-0 up???
    Someone should also ask "The Disturbed One" who was 1-0 up in the previous game and took off BOTH of his strikers???
    Crazy eh?????

• 36. At 12:55pm on 30 Jan 2009, wengitari wrote:

#32

"55555 #4, everyone knows Robbo is a 'Boro fan (for his sins), and YOUR lot call US bitter!! 5555555
    PS Your English is good for a Norwegian."

-----------------------------------------------------

Norwegian?

Try Nigerian.

Oh and come on, like i've already cleared up - I mistook this article to have been written by Phil McNulty, and my comments were aimed at him.

Mistaken identity was all.... I know Robbo is Middlesborough. It says so at the top of the page!!

• 37. At 12:55pm on 30 Jan 2009, upsidedown wrote:

Well done Robbo - not your best, but certainly up to standard.

Am I the first one to notice that if (as generally predicted) Liverpool and Chelsea draw, and (as expected on recent form) Aston Villa beat Wigan, they will move up to second!!

• 38. At 12:55pm on 30 Jan 2009, SpawningSalmon wrote:

Hey Robbo, you haven't by chance been watching the a-league this year with the salmon meme? :D

See youtube evidence below.

• 39. At 12:56pm on 30 Jan 2009, alwaysindoubt wrote:

#25 Impressive that you could still type your post after that protest...

• 40. At 12:56pm on 30 Jan 2009, librarian77 wrote:

Seriously - you're saying that its only Cahill that makes Everton worth watching??

What about Arteta, Osman, Baines, Fellaini - and remember Yakubu, Vaughan and Saha aint exactly missing a touch of class!!!

I can easily think of 4 other teams who are playing much worse football than David Moyes' side.

Bolton, Blackburn, Newcastle and Boro!!

Chelsea and Man City aren't exactly playing vintage stuff either with all their expensive 'world class' players!!!

• 41. At 12:57pm on 30 Jan 2009, Robbo Robson wrote:

I agree. Lay off #4, he's apologised, poor lamb.
    #25... did you get as far as cutting your own fingers off? Hate to think you couldn't touch-type such gracious comments for the rest of your days, son.

• 42. At 12:58pm on 30 Jan 2009, Frodo_MUFC wrote:

Talk about kicking a bloke when he's down ...
    ----------------------
    What's this got to do with Stevie G's pub activities? ;-)

Anyway, great blog as usual. As for player of the year I'd like to put Evra's name in the hat too. Best left back in world football

• 43. At 12:59pm on 30 Jan 2009, upsidedown wrote:

On Everton - my ex wife supported them so I'm always happy to hear them put down. But the truth is that (like Man U) after a shaky start they've done very well. In fact both Moyes and O'Neill deserve a lot of respect for what they've consistently achieved as managers.

• 44. At 1:02pm on 30 Jan 2009, Robbo Robson wrote:

#43
    Blimey. So when van Persie scored that last minute equaliser were you punching the air and screaming 'Ha-ha! Another two points dropped, Deirdre! Serves you right for divorcing us!'?

• 45. At 1:05pm on 30 Jan 2009, The_Master wrote:

#23
    Spot on. He was looking for it and you gave it to him on a plate...Well done boy!!!

Robbo:
    Great blog mate. The article and the comments made my day.

• 46. At 1:07pm on 30 Jan 2009, happy_red wrote:

Have to agree on Vidic and Cahill - both are exceptional players for their respective clubs and it is about time they got the credit. Especially Vidic as he seems to have been overlooked in favour of dopey Rio.

Not sure why you have to include the usual Liverpool jibes (although the steam analogy was particularly amusing). Carragher was at right back a couple of times because Arbeloa and Degen were both injured, he's played there a few times before and we had three other fit centre backs.

A lot of people having a dig at #4 (wengitari) accusing him of being a bitter/delusional Liverpool fan. A quick look at his name might suggest he is a Gooner.
    Anyway, be careful Robbo, there's someone else vying for your crown as top comedy writer - #34 reckons Everton might just get above Liverpool. Best one yet!

• 47. At 1:09pm on 30 Jan 2009, john wrote:

Good comments about Cahill.

However, the bit about "almost making Everton worth watching" is uncalled for. You've been paying too much attention to what the Crazy One has been saying.

It's amusing to see the reds so outraged as their team has hit a bit of a slump and the media has stopped fawning over them for a change, and even gone so far as to criticise them! I've also seen some articles that almost say good things about Everton.

And can I point out that Everton have never used a 5-5 formation since the days of Walter Smith. We are currently playing a more progressive 4-6-0. It's the future.

• 48. At 1:19pm on 30 Jan 2009, derobyrne wrote:

Good call on player of the year - not too much standing out as the months go on in either main or young player category - obvious candidates Young, Cahill, Vidic, Alonso,young Player Agbonlahor, Stephen Ireland, Raphael but it is not like most years with obvious candidates which reflects probabaly on the way the league has been so far this season.

• 49. At 1:21pm on 30 Jan 2009, Sryil_the_Sponge wrote:

Chelsea to smash Liverpool on sunday .....2 - nil !! the scorers ???? carragher 2 own goals ..................classic

• 50. At 1:21pm on 30 Jan 2009, Salford-theheight-Red wrote:

45 - just amazed I got in there first !!

... and no-one has yet moaned that Vidic isn't English !!

Quiet times methinks - everyone must be having their Friday liquid lunch ?

• 51. At 1:23pm on 30 Jan 2009, kevthered83 wrote:

At 28, I am also not looking forward to the chelsea Liverpool game. it is the 1 clash between the big 4 I cant stand as it is almost always a bore.

Howver....Should Man Utd beat Everton on Saturday (no easy task) I will be greatly looking forward to Chelsea V Liverpool and cheering on for that glorious nil nil draw.

Also....something needs to be done about Michael brown. He is going to end someones career soon!

• 52. At 1:23pm on 30 Jan 2009, for evra and evra amen wrote:

...most of us come on here for some light relief during the working day..

------------------------------------------------

really. I go to the disabled bog with the sun. Works a treat

• 53. At 1:25pm on 30 Jan 2009, kevthered83 wrote:

for evra and evra amen - classic....Thats exactly what i do at 3 o clock on the dot. Its what is known as a "MATS".

• 54. At 1:26pm on 30 Jan 2009, happy_red wrote:

"I go to the disabled bog with the sun"

Must be bright in there! Watch out, you'll go blind...

• 55. At 1:29pm on 30 Jan 2009, clearcheesecake wrote:

What we are wittnessing at villa really can be something special this season, get your tickets villa fans, could they really win it, yes obviously they can but in style.
    Villa are the example for every club in the world- promoting youth and giving english a chance, Gareth Barry for always giving his all despite his collapsed move to liverpool,
    Randy lerner for leaving o'neill too it and the charity sponser.

• 56. At 1:31pm on 30 Jan 2009, happy_red wrote:

• 57. At 1:33pm on 30 Jan 2009, Theghostofgeorgebest wrote:

Robbo, great blog, lad.
    I'm originally from Billingham (but down amongst the cock-a-nees now) and have frequented the Blue Bell many times.
    You are spot on about Vidic and Cahill, but maybe Jamie Carragher deserves a mention - as long as Raffa plays him for 90 mins in the right spot, mind.

• 58. At 1:38pm on 30 Jan 2009, basamta wrote:

Robbo Robbo Robbo, am always enthrapped by ur blo, kip it up abeg!

• 59. At 1:38pm on 30 Jan 2009, freddawlanen wrote:

Having a go at 2 Latics players in 1 article (we must be doing something right), the comment about Brown is quite accurate but why still have a dig at Bramble, he's no Vidic (who City should have targeted instead of Kaka), but he's been a big part of the reason why we've conceeded 11 goals less than Boro this season.

Thanks for Cattermole by the way, what a bargain, do Boro have any more excellent players you're willing to sell on the cheap?

• 60. At 1:41pm on 30 Jan 2009, basamta wrote:

what is it about Rafa that we get hush hush about?
    in all my active years of watching football, livepool has never amounted to nothing in the league.
    maybe they need sign Coach Ladan Bosso, the thirs worst coah in the world after Cristain Chukwu and Kienner (JFK)

• 61. At 1:41pm on 30 Jan 2009, shorluka wrote:

Robbo, you never cease to amaze me!

Great blog as per usual, its a shame some people dont appreciate it just because there may be the odd negative comment about they're team! At the moment I think Vidic and Ashley Young are a good bet for PFA, both have been immense this season.

• 62. At 1:43pm on 30 Jan 2009, Theghostofgeorgebest wrote:

@freddalawnen

Can you just imagine Alex Ferguson's reaction to Sparky trying to poach any of his squad !!!! Might be worth watching !

• 63. At 1:48pm on 30 Jan 2009, collie21 wrote:

Agree about Given, Don't think he has ever won a trophy which is a scandal for such a good keeper.
    Giggs has been doing brilliant too by the way and doesn't get a mention. For my money however, best Newcomer has to be the twins at United, best player, probably persie at Arsenal, best goalkeeper Given, best defender Vidic, Best Manager, yep O Neill followed by Moyes and Ferguson.
    Award for snatching defeat from the Jaws of Victory is Benny Tez. Flop of the year that Brazilian bloke at Chelsea who tried to convince Ronaldo to leave at the start of the year.
    Best first impression Hull. Worst lasting impression er Hull.

• 64. At 1:56pm on 30 Jan 2009, Gibbo7111 wrote:

Robbo defines epic fail

And i bet he absolutely LOVES parmos

• 65. At 1:57pm on 30 Jan 2009, The TM wrote:

Collie21

Spot on dude. I like the Benny Tez name. greatness. Robo, you need an assistant, you got Collie21. Well, for now maybe...........

Great stuff

• 66. At 1:59pm on 30 Jan 2009, skyscraper wrote:

64#

yes! i bet he faaaarken loves them

• 67. At 2:03pm on 30 Jan 2009, Scrappy wrote:

Can someone please point Tony Adams to his nearest second hand Cahil dealership

• 68. At 2:08pm on 30 Jan 2009, SeanieGilbo wrote:

Quality blog as always Robbo!... AND Kudos for all the comments from Joe Public, it's half the fun seeing you lot at each other.

My personal favourite was actually the picture link you posted of the Gelled Tumbler. Where did you dig up that camp beauty from?

• 69. At 2:10pm on 30 Jan 2009, United Dreamer wrote:

Yes Frodo - 100% agree about Evra. Outstanding this season and still finding time to give the Chelsea groundsman a good kicking despite him closely resembling Shrek, in size and all. Or at least so the four match ban implies...

• 70. At 2:11pm on 30 Jan 2009, Hibbert_for_England wrote:

Robbo, funny as always.

"Personally, I'd like to give it to Shay Given. Eleven years he's been playing behind that defence. Centre-backs that could reduce an opposition frontline to a fit of the giggles."

Quality comment, he has saved them many a time. Titus Bramble springs to mind.

Cahill has been outstanding for the blues, not to mention Jagielka.

It's just good to see Rafa losing it, when will he or anybody else ever learn not to retaliate to Ferguson.

He's crackin up, he's crackin up, Rafas crackin up.

#52, I like your style.

• 71. At 2:17pm on 30 Jan 2009, Xavierneville wrote:

Oh this is making me laugh!

Robbo nice to see the words Everton and good in the same blog, the fact you have talekd about us in any terms means we are doing things right!

I'm surprised to see so much affection for timmy as most oppo fans see him as a pest and a nasty one at that. I'm sure Alson remembers the wrestling move performed on him which prevented him getting up to stop AJ's goal......!

Cahill has struggled in a four man midfield, he can't both get forward and back without leaving a big hole, he will never play midfield again second striker without doubt.

This is top secret, but against Utd on Saturday Moyes will play Tony Hibbert up front....inspired

Good blog Robbo, oh if you are going to make predo's on game that precisely put a tenner on it or you'll feel gutted, Gerrard one nil, defo!

• 72. At 2:17pm on 30 Jan 2009, tom wrote:

As a 'pool fan, I thought we had the better Aussie in Harry Kewell. Boy was I wrong!! I can honestly say that Cahill is the only Everton player in history that I covet.

• 73. At 2:28pm on 30 Jan 2009, Obaydah Al-Namer wrote:

YAWN

• 74. At 2:29pm on 30 Jan 2009, United Dreamer wrote:

Anyway whats with implying Anelka takes his time in the changing room? He's bald as a coot - its not like he's gonna do more than slip a bit of after shave on the bonce. If you need to pick on someone pick on Ronny and Berby. And I'm a United fan!

• 75. At 2:36pm on 30 Jan 2009, Neil Anderson wrote:

tbollix: Cahill the only player in history you would have........ You mean you wouldn't have Dixie Dean, Bob Latchford, Alex Young or Alan Ball? I thnk you probably mean your living history, as i suspect you are an 80s child. In which case there is Big Dunc.....Not for his footballing skills but rather for the fact, if you were in a fight i would rather have him on my side then against me.

point proven when he made Steffen Freund cack his shorts

Anyway Back to Cahill. He is only one of the many shining lights at Goodison this season. The every reliable Jagielka, Lescott and return to form of Arteta are also players which should be mentioned.

That is not to exclude the workmanship of Ozzy and Peanuts who whilst unspectacular have been ever consistent.

The biggest mention though should go to David Moyes and his coaching staff who have made the team into a family willing to work for each other. They are a collective together and not a few individuals such as Gerrard and Torres.

Great blog Robbo. Keep up the good work.

• 76. At 2:39pm on 30 Jan 2009, LallanaWonderland wrote:

If you enjoy Robbo's blogs please help him gain more deserved recognition by joining the facebook group & help spread the word!

• 77. At 2:41pm on 30 Jan 2009, Moyles Out! wrote:

Decent blog, Niall.

Cahill is a legend. At £1.5 million, probably one of Moyes' best buys. And with a full strength squad we're well worth watching.

• 78. At 2:49pm on 30 Jan 2009, CroftKid wrote:

Love the Everton comments.

They are magic to watch on the telly, particularly whenever I want a nap.

• 79. At 2:53pm on 30 Jan 2009, basamta wrote:

am a chelsea fan, but it wasnt too hard for me to realise that Cahill is far better and more meaningful than Drogba
    At £3milion he scored 15 in the league the same season that drogba thankfully scored a miserly 10.
    even now, he has proven that in a short while, all will see what i ve always siad bout drogba
    he is just....

• 80. At 2:55pm on 30 Jan 2009, eric the mighty wrote:

A good post Robbo. Spot on about how brilliant Cahills is, even though I can't stand Everton.

When David Moyes is on Match of the Day it's like watching one of those programmes where they take a bathysphere ten miles down into a deep sea trench. Those eyes could pick out plankton in the places where the sun never shines.

Talking of Newcastle, good shout about Given.

Vidic, my boy Vidic. Just solid.

And your comments on Drogba and Anelka (or Paris and Nicole as they want to be known) was very funny.

Nice one Robbo.

• 81. At 2:55pm on 30 Jan 2009, ZEUSFC wrote:

how come robbo uses "breast" in his blog and it goes through, yet when i use it in a 606 post it gets pulled?
    well done for some rather pointless moderation there beeb!

• 82. At 3:02pm on 30 Jan 2009, basamta wrote:

sorri, just confirmed that Cahil was actually for £1.5m and drogba for 26 Geezzzzzz!
    we surely mis-bought

• 83. At 3:08pm on 30 Jan 2009, SyKop wrote:

Come on people, I need things to read for the next hour before I sneak off early down the battle cruiser... where's all the banter or is everyone already half-cut from liquid lunches?

• 84. At 3:09pm on 30 Jan 2009, Zulu Warrior wrote:

Good call on Tim Cahill and the Vid the Impaler, Robbo. Its refeshing to read the plaudits shifted around. Unfortunately the press will never give the award to a player out of the top 4, perhaps you can start a campaign so there is some fairness.

I reckon TC's conversion/chances ratio must be the best around.
    His cost per goal over his career must be about £25,000, I wonder what the cost of other 'strikers' are?- a bit more I bet.....
    And he works his socks off.

• 85. At 3:10pm on 30 Jan 2009, Chris W - BBC Sport wrote:

Brilliant blog as always. Totally on the money.

Hard workers reign. Cahill vs Vidic on Saturday... joy there would help prove the claim that the little Evertonian is one of the best headers of a ball in the world.

• 86. At 3:12pm on 30 Jan 2009, kevthered83 wrote:

Good 1878...what you talking about. Anderson has a far better goals to chances ratio!!!! admittedly I have had a liquid lunch so that may be cloding my memory slightly!

• 87. At 3:13pm on 30 Jan 2009, paddylfc31 wrote:

#63

Agree with you about Given and Giggs. But some of your points are a tad selective. Best newcomer - twins at United? Unless you're alluding to Ronaldo's latest missus, it's hard to put across a case for either Rafael or Fabio. Granted, they both look potentially very astute buys, but Rafael has played 4 (possibly 5) full league games for United this season, and Fabio has yet to play a minute of Premiership football. To put them ahead of the likes of Bosingwa (who, incidentally, I rate as one of the best crossers of a ball [with his feet] the Premiership has seen in quite a while, Robbo), Robinho, Zaki, Hangeland (in my opinion has been superb) or Jason Roberts (what do you mean he isn't a newcomer?!?) is ludicrous.

Vidic - yes, best defender - but has been pushed all the way by Jagielka, who has been immense.

Best player - Van Persie? Yes, he's been brilliant, but let's not forget his burst of petulance at Stoke. There are many, many contenders for this particular acclaim.

Your 'Flop of the Year' has been put into one of the most criticised jobs in English football. Yet he's 2nd in the league, still in Europe, and the FA Cup (admittedly, just about), so a little premature to be labelling him a flop. That being said, Avram Grant didn't do too bad (especially enacting a slug) but he'll be remember by many as 'a flop'.

The Hull comment though, funny indeed!

Good article Robbo - keep it up!

• 88. At 3:13pm on 30 Jan 2009, SyKop wrote:

Don't even start on goals to chances... Kuyt owes us a fortune!

• 89. At 3:15pm on 30 Jan 2009, paddylfc31 wrote:

#86 - and your spelling?

• 90. At 3:19pm on 30 Jan 2009, whatbill wrote:

The lads in my office have agreed to head for the pub as soon as someone mentions the licence fee, so can people stop congtratulating Robbo for a good blog and get on with the irrational ranting?

• 91. At 3:20pm on 30 Jan 2009, United Dreamer wrote:

Can't believe Bosingwa is even mentioned over Evra who is the best full back in the league bar none.

• 92. At 3:27pm on 30 Jan 2009, sperlz wrote:

I'm delighted that Cahill is finally getting the recognition that he deserves, considering since hes joined Everton hes scored 1 in 3, which is incredible for a midfield player. However I think that Everton's stand out player so far this season is Phil Jagielka. He is an incredible defender, together with Lescott they are a brilliant partership. When you have a back two keeping the likes of Joseph Yobo out, then you know something is going right. I honestly think Evertons defence is currently the 3rd best in the league after Man Utd and Chelsea.

• 93. At 3:30pm on 30 Jan 2009, Eddy Cordoza wrote:

Re 73. EL-Liverbird

Isn't that supposed to be YNWA?

• 94. At 3:37pm on 30 Jan 2009, Bangforyourbuck wrote:

93 - Genius.

And for post 90:

Can't believe my license fee goes on this... paid to write this rubbish... call yourself a Panorama journalist Robbo...? I expect this from a child.... Blah blah blah, yada yada yada*. That should cover all the bases of the usual rants so get yourself off!

*Disclaimer: These are not the viewers of this poster but instead are used for humourous purposes.

• 95. At 3:42pm on 30 Jan 2009, ilio_rover wrote:

Hopefully, Robbo, you'll be in a terrible mood come Saturday night - Rovers fan.

Great blog as always, love reading them, typical old school British style, keep them coming, there'll be plenty of us reading them!

• 96. At 3:45pm on 30 Jan 2009, whatbill wrote:

Thanking you 94. See you on the "Rafa/Scolari out" blog on monday...

• 97. At 3:48pm on 30 Jan 2009, alwaysindoubt wrote:

Good work #94 I was just about to do the same service for #90.

I'm hoping for a non-football related Robbo effort soon. They usually set a few pulses racing.

• 98. At 3:56pm on 30 Jan 2009, EFCjosh wrote:

Bitter?

• 99. At 3:57pm on 30 Jan 2009, crokey wrote:

Dragoneyes106,

I think tbollix (by name and...) means covet in another sense of the word. Makes sense considering some of ugly bar stewards we've had over the years. Then again there was Vinny Samways. Wait, it's just struck me, add ability and hair - Fellaini is Vinny's love child!

• 100. At 4:00pm on 30 Jan 2009, NEARPOSTHEADER wrote:

Liverpool fans are SOOOOO touchy, aren't they? Imagine if the club had had problems to face such as those of West Ham, Leeds, NUFC, etc. and all the criticism/venom that has come from them.
    Player of the season? I'd have to include Ryan Giggs in the shortlist - the guy's touch and pasing is spot-on and the way he outpaced the West Brom defenders the other night was amazing - and that pass for Ronaldo to score! Sublime simplicity.

• 101. At 4:33pm on 30 Jan 2009, Neil Anderson wrote:

garycroke:

Fellaini is the love child of Vinny Samways and John Bailey I thought that was common Knowledge.

lol

• 102. At 4:53pm on 30 Jan 2009, LallanaWonderland wrote:

ps. please? :)

• 103. At 5:05pm on 30 Jan 2009, sure_star wrote:

quote//And there's still time for Robbie Keane if he can get back into a Spurs shirt as soon as possible//quote

Liverpool fan me, but still made me laugh

• 104. At 5:12pm on 30 Jan 2009, Grizz wrote:

Cannot disagree with a single thing said on here!

• 105. At 5:13pm on 30 Jan 2009, wokinghamiain wrote:

Great Blog Robbo! They always make me laugh outloud.

Can't believe some of the comments! Some just don't seem to get this Blog. If you want serious subjects treated seriously with little content you are in the wrong place. If you want serious subjects treated with humour and irreverence this is the place for you.

Keep up the good work Robbo!

• 106. At 5:20pm on 30 Jan 2009, chanachevhu wrote:

4. At 11:44am on 30 Jan 2009, wengitari wrote:

I heard a rumour you are paid for this rabble? please tell me they were joking.
    ............................................

Even 'Rob Styles' gets paid for mistakenly blowing the whistle while coughing and then tries to find a reason to convince everyone that he ACTUALLY did blow the whistle.
    such is the world we living in............

• 107. At 5:26pm on 30 Jan 2009, jay842 wrote:

Bless you Robbo, you couldn't be funny if you tried son.

Every week it's a dig at Chelsea or their players.......you conveniently forgot to mention how they walked past your shambles of a 'team'.

Any team that lets Kalou score 2 against them, well they shouldn't be playing football (esp when he's hitting a volley and a heading in unmarked within the 6 yard area!).

Thanks for another sleep-inducing blog; sorted my insomnia out a treat!

• 108. At 5:27pm on 30 Jan 2009, DavieJF wrote:

Comment #8 - Bosingwa was a revelation for the first 8/10 games or so until teams worked out how to stop/nullify chelsea's system. Since then he has been shaky at the back and not so good going forward. Vidic has been the defender of the year by a mile. I agree that Hangeland has been a rock though, he'll be off in the summer.

• 109. At 5:27pm on 30 Jan 2009, ArsenalIndian wrote:

How many times have we had the 'Team X 1, Shay Given 0' scenario over the last god knows how many years? If it wasn't for the staggering incompetence of the Newcastle defence meaning he concedes 2 a week regardless, he'd be the first name on my fantasy football team.
    Kinnear for once is right, 5 million for Given is insulting. And of all the teams who'd want to by him, why City? They've already got Joe Hart, the best young English keeper around by far. Come to Arsenal, Shay, we'd welcome you with open arms!

• 110. At 6:09pm on 30 Jan 2009, Pogrebnyak wrote:

Chelsea to win on Sunday

Man U will win the Primiership

Villa will break in to the top 4 at the Arsenal's expense

... and..

Boro will get relegated :))))

just stating the obvious

Nice blog, Robo!

• 111. At 6:25pm on 30 Jan 2009, Robbo Robson wrote:

jay842 #107
    Acknowledged that Chelsea need a helping hand from crap defences in an earlier comment, mate. Glad I put you to sleep, mind. Must be irritating for all concerned when you're awake. (Not trying to be funny there either, son).
    And if you think I have a dig at Chelsea every week talk to a Liverpool fan.

• 112. At 6:31pm on 30 Jan 2009, keanospurs wrote:

lol amazing, told son

• 113. At 6:42pm on 30 Jan 2009, Rotherham_white wrote:

Hahahahaha you had me in stitches. Carragher one of the best CB's in the country. A few of the reasons hes 'pointlessly stuck out at right back is he scored 2 classic og's in two weeks, got skinned inside out by Van Persie, got skinned inside out by maxi rodriguez etc.

• 114. At 6:42pm on 30 Jan 2009, rosscoopcooper wrote:

why has this man even got a column on something like bbc sport? what an absolute load of rubbish and a waste of two minutes of my life reading it. sack him.

• 115. At 6:45pm on 30 Jan 2009, liv_pool_crazy wrote:

Robbo - great column.

Regarding Cahill's headering of the ball - I have a better player (being a liverpool supporter, I couldn't let that rest!)

Pele's father scored 5 headed goals in a match- to this day a record that has never been surpassed.

• 116. At 7:05pm on 30 Jan 2009, I like cats wrote:

I cant believe I pay the BBC for them to produce this.

• 117. At 7:07pm on 30 Jan 2009, I like cats wrote:

And I love the way that on EVERY site in the world, there seems to be a majority comprised of Liverpool fans.
    United best supported team in the world?

Not even close, no matter what the PR bull**** says.

YNWA

• 118. At 7:12pm on 30 Jan 2009, stebluenose wrote:

"Cahill's so good he almost makes Everton worth watching (actually no one is that good)."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That coming from a Boro fan !!!

you deluded dope.

• 119. At 7:27pm on 30 Jan 2009, Funkenblows wrote:

Bit late in the day, but......

No. 43- I think Moyes deserves more praise than O'Neill, as the former has had only a fraction of the budget that the latter has enjoyed. While O'Neill has performed remarkably well, I'd love to see what Moyes could do if he were given essentially a blank cheque book. Not to denigrate O'Neill at all. But I'd rate Moyes slightly higher.

• 120. At 7:27pm on 30 Jan 2009, Retirethenumber17shirt wrote:

The Wizzard of Oz has been huge for Everton since he arrived. As for making the Blues worth a watch, come on Robbo! Watching TC undo Liverpool's much vaunted back four twice in a week was the best fun I've had with my pants on!

• 121. At 7:57pm on 30 Jan 2009, jam tomorrow wrote:

Ive worked out who you really are!

The clues were the constant sucking up to Man U and low intellect, but the biggest clue is the picture, its not a comic caricature its a life like portrait!

Come on down Steve Bruce !!! aka the elephant man. Now that has added some humour to your otherwise drab column. Thanks.

• 122. At 8:07pm on 30 Jan 2009, Robbo Robson wrote:

#121.

Thanks for the addition of humour. Let's hope you're a regular poster cos there has to be more where that comes from! It's so hard to type when your sides ache like this. I just hope the rest of the dim-witted posters who seem to find me column funny don't get wind that Oscar Wilde's great grandson's lovechild is on the blog or they'll soon realise what a shallow half-wit I am.

• 123. At 8:14pm on 30 Jan 2009, nogginthenogforever wrote:

Personally, I think Robbo is The Stig.

• 124. At 8:57pm on 30 Jan 2009, upsidedown wrote:

120

We almost agree. But I've been following O'Neil since his time at Wycombe. Didn't have much of a budget at Leicester either but still did well. It seems as his budget has increased so have his achievements. If he was a few years younger he'd be my pick to replace SAF.

• 125. At 9:00pm on 30 Jan 2009, upsidedown wrote:

Errr I meant 119, not 120. It's early on Saturday morning here and it's been over 40 degrees for the last 4 days.

• 126. At 9:33pm on 30 Jan 2009, G_is_God wrote:

'The bloke is so good..'

Apart from an occasional header, what is Tim Cahil good for? He cant tackle (as you pointed out) he cant dribble, he cant pass or cross and he is a midfielder. Championship player at the most.

• 127. At 10:28pm on 30 Jan 2009, Disillusioned_Doc wrote:

Chelsea vs. Liverpool...I'll watch it to remind myself how well others play.

By the way...whenever they play together, they should allow extra fans in who can sit on the pitch on the side (atleast 10-15 inside the sideline on the pitch itself)...its not like these two teams know how to use the width of a football pitch!!!!

I agree with you...Vidic has been tremendous!!! Hope he does get the PFA award.

Good blog Mr.Robson...as always.

• 128. At 10:44pm on 30 Jan 2009, Upward over the Mountain wrote:

great blog apu. keep up the good work:)

• 129. At 11:23pm on 30 Jan 2009, Diala Anthony wrote:

Robbo, you are hilarious! Sorry about the Boro though - ie if you are really a Boro fan.

• 130. At 00:27am on 31 Jan 2009, Dave wrote:

Good article :)

As a United fan I am amazed that Cahill hasn't been snapped up by us in years gone by. He has been one of my favourite players in the league for some time now, he is simply fantastic, he has the Scholes ability/habbit of just appearing in the area when needed and netting! A fantastic player, with superb loyalty and ability.

I'll enjoy watching his and his last few seasons in England with Evertone :)

• 131. At 00:55am on 31 Jan 2009, Wayne wrote:

#29... are you Ron Atkinson???

"most black players come from hot countries" ????

Um, if you care to actually check that out you'll notice that infact the majority of black players in the premiership are either born, raised or at least nationals of European nations...to assume that all the black players are unable to cope with low temperatures merely based on the colour of their skin is more than just a little bit insulting. I'm pretty sure a few white players have pulled on some thermal pants or a vest on the odd occasion.

The players that you tend to see decked out in tights, gloves and hats are the ones who don't intend to run around for 90 minutes...theyre the ones who pop up for 5-10 minutes in the match do a few tricks, score the winning goal and then go back to their luxury lives....you know, people like Berbatov...he's worn winter woolies on a few occasions and he's from Bulgaria where temperatures have been known to go as low as -40c!!

• 132. At 02:59am on 31 Jan 2009, Aztecabear wrote:

Robbo,

I thought this was a great blog. Well thought out and interesting.

This is my first reply but keep up the good stuff and I'll be back.

If it's cold, why not wear some extra gear? Makes sense to me.

• 133. At 03:15am on 31 Jan 2009, JR wrote:

#77 - That's tantamount to telling the world who the Stig is live on air.

It's Mr. Robson to you!

anyway, to continue the award discussion, manager of the year [so far] for me is a toss up between Steve Bruce or Roy Hodgson, both have surprised me, especially the Fulham manager.

I had them pinned at strugglers, but to see their rise to top half fighters is remarkable, considering the shambles of a team he inherited from Lawrie [to be fair, probably not his fault].

And player of the year my vote goes to Vidic. But then again, i'm biased...

• 134. At 03:48am on 31 Jan 2009, chrisox wrote:

#31 - why don't you get a life you PC fool?

• 135. At 03:48am on 31 Jan 2009, chrisox wrote:

#131 - why don't you get a life you PC fool?

• 136. At 08:03am on 31 Jan 2009, angelthejam wrote:

Everybody knows Robson and McNultty are actually the same person, McNUutty is the soft- Mr.Jeckill side, and Robson the Mr.Hyde one.

Mc Nultty knows that he can't post a blog to say how good Everton is (something he dearly miss since his times in The Echo) without looking too biased, and uses his Robbo caracther, which nobody takes seriously to do it.

In the meantime Mc. Nultty is offering us his weekly tirade against Liverpool/Benitez in his personal blog.

In times of recession is good that the BBC is saving us to pay one salary to hear the same incongruencies .

• 137. At 09:49am on 31 Jan 2009, fake_finn wrote:

Surely you mean "In Geordieland - no one Kinnear you scream!"

True Cahill has been fantatsic, but Everton's recent run of form has also been thanks to Arteta, Pienaar, Baines and Jagielka? It the defintion of team-effort - as long as your definition of team doesn't include any strikers.

• 138. At 10:30am on 31 Jan 2009, saintgoingmarching3 wrote:

Another awful blog from the king of hackneyed sports journalism. Seriously, I've known 10 year olds with a better command of the English language and a much more interesting use of it.

Vidic has been phenomenally lucky this season, in that he could have had at least two more red cards to add to his one in the World Club Cup final. Many (non ManYoo) fans think he's nothing more than a Serbian John Terry - good in the air, but easily beaten by anyone with decent agility and acceleration.

Of course in this country being a paceless, static centrehalf who does little except head the ball away is seen as world class, because we're so naive and ignorant when it comes to football. Likewise, an AMC who does little except score a decent number of goals is heralded as a potential player of the year.

People love to talk up the Premiership (mainly journalists like this one who know that without the hype there'd be less money and therefore less jobs writing tedious columns about the game) but in truth it's become a more defensive and predictable league, and only those clubs who can afford to buy a couple of leading attacking players can hope to get anywhere.

• 139. At 10:37am on 31 Jan 2009, Zippymk13 wrote:

Vidic - He's like Titus Bramble, except he's good.

classic line

• 140. At 12:35pm on 31 Jan 2009, redJoey wrote:

It has been painful at times but thanks Robbo.

• 141. At 12:49pm on 31 Jan 2009, oldmasterjds wrote:

Cahill is world class as far as i can tell. It's good to see someone acknowledging his undoubted talent.

• 142. At 12:55pm on 31 Jan 2009, oldmasterjds wrote:

Regards comment from Saintgoingmarching3;

If your comments are worth anything, why is it that JT has been voted into most of the Uefa teams of the year since about 2004?
    The team is voted for by the managers of all the Champions league sides as far as i'm aware, so you would have to assume that after their foreign based strikers have run JT ragged it's quite unlikely that he would be selected?!
    Therefore a Serbian JT sounds quite an accolade...

• 143. At 1:15pm on 31 Jan 2009, Geraldo Supremo wrote:

#138

I dont get it, as usual robbo has done his thing, made me laugh my heart out.

Robbo is simply classis, bet the link hit stats for the blog will confirm this.

Come on United

• 144. At 1:20pm on 31 Jan 2009, Lee Cairney wrote:

Tam cahill is a great headerer of the ball but I can think of someone who is better... Henrik Larsson! Without a doubt... no contest!

• 145. At 1:22pm on 31 Jan 2009, Stone Cold Pensioner wrote:

Once again Robbo, masterful.

I'm Chelsea through and through... but the DD, Le Sulk comment is so true.... when you look at the heart of players like JT and Lamps its enough to make you spit!

For my 5p Given and Carlo C. are in the same class... quality players with that ultimate rarity...loyalty. Love to see the Premier League Team of the League based on loyalty rather than money.

Carlo C./Given (too tough to call for my money)

Neville. Dunne. JT. Barry (only coz he's deserving and has played all over the field)

scholes. Giggs. Lampard. Gerrard. (does it matter which order they play in? they'll all be in the penalty box)

cahill. rooney (cahill ain't a striker, apparently ... and rooney wears his heart on his sleeve, which is what football is all about for mine)

Here's hoping that our game returns to those who play it for the love of the game!

• 146. At 2:21pm on 31 Jan 2009, Konvictz wrote:

lool that was a quality article.

what i cant understand is why vidic is so under rated. perhaps he needs to get a few more red cards, and talk big in interviews. i dunno.

but either way, vidic has been excellent since the first day he came.

i like the points raised by #145. Its great to see players who play with heart. wayne rooney for example.

and quick word bout the benitez-keane situation. it may seem that spending 20m on a player and keeping him on the bench is a waste. but you dont know the future, maybe benitez has a secret master mind plan. maybe, he is keeping keane fresh so that in the run in he can rely on keane, torress and gerrard to win the games and liverpool will win the treble. (erhem)

or maybe benitez is just defensive minded.

• 147. At 3:06pm on 31 Jan 2009, Funkenblows wrote:

No. 144- Larsson is the best header of a ball that I have ever seen. Absolutely deadly at the near post, and remember the diving header in the Euros against Italy? Pure class, and very much miss at Parkhead.

• 148. At 4:12pm on 31 Jan 2009, HKAussieJohn wrote:

"Cahill's so good he almost makes Everton worth watching"...First time in living memory you've had something nice to say about an Australian...clearly, you must be thinking of emigrating! Won't help you, though: you're still a whingeing pom and that automatically disqualifies you...

• 149. At 5:09pm on 31 Jan 2009, Josh Lines wrote:

"Like Titus Bramble- Except good" that made me laugh so much!!

• 150. At 5:47pm on 31 Jan 2009, Wayne wrote:

#134...

I'm not being political but I am correct.....

• 151. At 7:27pm on 31 Jan 2009, Robert Jones wrote:

I find it incredibly rich that any Boro fan, complete with your soulless breeze-block stadium and your rubbish football team could write anything on football.

• 152. At 8:02pm on 31 Jan 2009, Joe wrote:

Robbo, not only are your blogs worth reading but so are your riposts to the many deluded posters out there who think that we log on to read their pathetic ramblings. if there are 10 year olds out there who can put together a better blog then please ask them to log on and do so! Actually, they don't have to 10 years old - just funny.

Reminds me of Piers Morgan asking the audience of Have I Got New For You if they thought Ian Hislop was actually funny - well, funnier than Piers himself - only to be told (in more polite terms than I would have used) by Paul Merton that that was why they were there in the first place. I guess the 'Piers Syndrome' as I call it (thinking you really are both witty and influential and that everyone hangs on your words) affects even football supporters. Certainly seemed one of the problems with Steve McLaren!

Just watched 'Alien' on the digital station before logging on to read your blog. You have to give #137 credit for the 'Kinnear' addition! Now that was worth reading!

Howard Stern (The shock-jock) had plenty of fans but it was his listening detractors who increased his ratings. No wonder you keep on getting asked to do them!

Both Cahill and Vidic have proved themselves as class players for long enough now. Why would anyone think that complimenting them both is any surprise?

Cheers, Joe.

• 153. At 8:10pm on 31 Jan 2009, Joe wrote:

#148 and #151 just prove my point brilliantly! With the sort of logic expressed in the latter I suppose I cannot have any opinion on or write anything about women?

I think we will end with only supporters of teams actually being allowed to write about their own teams so as not to cause offense.

Actually, I'm impressed so many of your readers who bother to respond know how to use the internet!

As for the best header of the ball - my only comment on this is that for his height Cahill is the best header of the ball in the PL.

Cheers, Joe.

• 154. At 8:35pm on 31 Jan 2009, lionihatethisgame wrote:

"He's like Titus Bramble, except he's good."

Hahaha, class!

• 155. At 10:46am on 01 Feb 2009, mgm wrote:

Robbo

As ever its a great read, from someone outside of the big teams and involved in what i would call real football.

Cant disagree about Vidic for footballer of the year, week in week out he is superb.

I'm a Luton fan and believe me we have suffered over the past 3 years, for a number of reasons that i wont go into.
    However Davies is mentioned in your article I watched him make his debut and he was a class above anyone i have seen at Luton and in my opinion he has developed into one of Englands best players.

In 2005 i said to my friends England can win world cup 2010 with him and Rio at centre back, i still believe we can. If we can sort out the goalkeeping position Capello knows how to build a team without ego's and be more effective than we ever have before.

Anyway please follow Curtis everyone, he is a top bloke and player and Villa and England will prosper with him in the squad.

• 156. At 6:16pm on 01 Feb 2009, Samwell2804 wrote:

More Gret Stuff as per usual Robbo?!

I do hope ur not reffering to the fact that you actually still play football for the blue bell as opposed to jus watching them,............ cause surely you must of set some kind of record and all, i mean, still playing football whilst being eligable for a bus pass!!! haha

• 157. At 02:56am on 02 Feb 2009, OzziebasedBrit wrote:

Robbo,

Can the BBC go back to publicising your Blogs, so I know which ones to read?!

I looked at the list of Blogs today and thought "Nope, Robbo's not there". 'Winter Workhorses Rule!', that's bound to be from someone like Gavin Strachan (who's still always worth reading, mind you).

So please, let us know when it's your Blog as I don't have the time to open up every link and I'd hate to miss an episode!

And a final thought; did James Beattie move to Stoke because he only does well when he plays in red and white?!