BBC BLOGS - Robbo Robson
IN ASSOCIATION WITH

Boro on the brink

Robbo Robson | 10:45 UK time, Monday, 19 January 2009

While I was slating the fact that a man is on the verge of being bought for the GDP of Belgium by Man City, many of you shoulder-shruggers out there were claiming it was all down to jealousy.

While this is about the least grown-up response, it's certainly the case that I could do with summat to distract us from the actual football right now.

For those numpties out there who still think I support United/Liverpool or whoever I've not slagged off recently, let me assure you that I support Middlesbrough FC. Please note the single 'o'. The Boro (yeah I know that's two 'o's but we're pretty damn fickle up here) are currently playing tripe. The grass at the Riverside has never looked so luxuriant, 'cos every fortnight we cover it in horse dung..

It's so horrible to watch I'm thinking of taking a sofa with me to the next home game so I have summat to hide behind. The next Premier League fixture is Chelsea away but after that thing gets tough.
Gareth Southgate
Inevitably the chit-chat is that Southgate must go. But you know what? I like the bloke a lot. The mullet, a sort of Grecian 2000 Joe Kinnear job, needs to go. The really nerdy V-neck sweaters of the type last spotted on the Val Doonican Show are a mistake too. But the bloke himself, I'd like him to stick around.

Why? 'Cos he's honest and rational and doesn't bluster or bleat about the situation, he's been here before and turned around the team's form enough to keep us up. And 'cos I'd like the chairman Gibbo to be vindicated 'n' all.

I'm probably in the minority in The Blue Bell. Most of 'em think Gareth is out of his depth. But all them clubs who have ditched carefully chosen gaffers this season aren't exactly thriving at the mo, apart from Blackburn where Big Sam has got 'em en route (one) for a great escape.

Even 'Arry's early successes are looking like a bit of a mirage now. As I said at the time, anyone who can get Darren Bent on a scoring spree has to be a miracle worker but clearly it was temporary. Bent's going to be the makeweight if Redknapp gets the curiously girly-faced Kenwyne Jones from Sunderland. That'll knock tuppence off the price I reckon.

Still I'd gladly have Bent at the Riverside, if only 'cos it'd mean that it's not only Alves missing all the chances. God love him, Afonso arrived looking like Ronaldo (the slimmer model from the 2002 World Cup) and now he looks more like the 2006 version.

To be fair he's positively skeletal next to the last few Boro strikers - Mido, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Mark Viduka, Yakubu... less a front four and more a line-up for Celebrity Fit Club. We'll have Anne Widdecombe playing in the hole if we're not careful.

No, Gareth's not done great with his transfer policy. O'Neil, Digard, Arca and the unpronounceable Alidialaddyalair have hardly inspired and Lord knows why he bought the fella Shawky. As me mate Tony Thompson put it, maybe one day the lad will fluke a vital winner off his shin and Southgate will be talking of a Shawky Shank Redemption.

On the other hand, it's shaping up to the finest relegation dogfight in living memory. If Boro get the anticipated three points at Stamford Bridge we'll be 12th. Sometimes you crave a bit of mid-table mediocrity but where's the fun in that?

It's like some trailer for a horror flick right now. 'No one is safe!' Megson's dullards are back in the mix and Phil Brown's Hull are struggling to the extent that you fully expect the players to be receiving their half-time team talks while sitting in the KC Stadium stocks.

Meanwhile Joe Kinnear's so worried he's already blaming the previous two managers. Ermm, I think there's a few chairmen/owners who might be a tad at fault as well but let's not split hairs. Newcastle have got one world class player right now and that's a Given.

The one thing Boro have going for them is the chairman. He is a top bloke. We Boro fans are just as contrary as the next bunch but Gibbo is consistent and we love him for it. He gives his manager time, respect, responsibility and tells him to get on with the job.

There's none of that rubbish that went on at Spurs with Jol; there's none of that cloak and dagger stuff that Benitez endured with his employers' little flirt with Klinsmann. Some chairmen show all the decisiveness of a lass trying to buy a new top, but Gibbo's straight up. I'm not sure there's another club in the country where the fans so respect the chairman.

There's a lot of agony to come. But if we can find some luck and some linesmen who actually watch the pigging game, and a magic pair of ghost boots for Senor Alves, then there's still a chance. So I'll leave him and Southgate to it.
ZZ Top
And I'll be helping them out too with me own carefully considered strategy:

1. The lucky pants from the Uefa Cup run are back.

2. I'll try changing me seat at the Riverside - there's always a spare one to park your backside in there.

3. The facial hair's going to stay till we win our next Premier League game. Come 2011 I'll look like ZZ Top but it's worth a go.

4. I've worked out that there is a direct correlation to my beer consumption and Boro's poor form. The more I drink, the worse we get... and of course, tragically, the worse we get, the more I drink. It's radical I know but... no more beer till Boro get to 30 points!
No greater self-sacrifice has there been by any fan. Up the Boro.

Comments

• 1. At 11:24am on 19 Jan 2009, FreeSpeech wrote:

Wow. Robbo bearing heart and soul. But still manages a classic one liner "Shawy Shank Redemption".

• 2. At 11:30am on 19 Jan 2009, doyles_left_foot wrote:

"The next Premier League fixture is Chelsea away but after that thing gets tough. "
    I just love subtle humour like that, good blog Robbo

• 3. At 11:36am on 19 Jan 2009, kevthered83 wrote:

giving up beer....is it really worth it????

Seriously though I couldnt predict who will be going down this season. I had WBA down as a certain 3 weeks ago, now im not so sure. i hope its Tottenham, City & Blackburn, but I can honestly see it being WBA, Stoke and Hull going straight back down.

• 4. At 11:36am on 19 Jan 2009, rosey05 wrote:

Yes Robbo i did enjoy this blog!

I will agree Steve Gibson is one of the best and most loyal chairmen in the league. Heck he even gave Mr McClaren enough time so he could shine. I really don't fear for Middlesbrough though, i think there are far more teams with less quality than yourselves. Although im not the one who is watching them every week.

Along with Randy Lerner you probably do have the best chairman in the league. Compare yourselves with a club like Spurs who are so badly run its beyond a joke.

I think you are a little quick to say Blackburn should be safe. Just like Redknapp, Allardyce is probably still in his honeymoon period so it will be interesting to see how they are getting on in 5 games time. Mind you anyone who can get Jason Roberts scoring like he is deserves alot of credit!

• 5. At 11:36am on 19 Jan 2009, divealdo wrote:

I don't know whether to laugh at the blog or cry about the 'Boro. Maybe I'll just take it in turns.

• 6. At 11:44am on 19 Jan 2009, BoroJR wrote:

Well written Robbo. You are correct in pointing out that all the new managers this season haven't exactly turned things round - well, they have a spurt for two or three games when players are trying to impress the new manager, but then it goes! However, I do feel Southgate may have lost the fans after that West Brom defeat. We will see what reaction he gets from the fans at the next game.

• 7. At 11:45am on 19 Jan 2009, barcelonaman wrote:

totally agree robbo.. stick with southgate.. who else is there anyway ?? but his signings are dodgy.. maybe we need a director of football to oversee transfer dealings !!! joking !!

• 8. At 11:52am on 19 Jan 2009, philtoon82 wrote:

i definately think at least 1 of the northeast teams will be going down this year! or maybe all 3 of them they are all definately playing bad enough!

• 9. At 11:54am on 19 Jan 2009, CISSEATION wrote:

Keep the likes of Downing happy and you may have a chance, but sorry to say it does look bleak for you lot.

• 10. At 11:57am on 19 Jan 2009, footy_analysis - play beautifully - wrote:

With the money Middlesbrough spend, they should be challenging for a UEFA Cup spot.

Steve Gibson must surely, deep down, realise this.

Southgate does need more time, but if it doesn't work out for him, Gibson needs to be bold and put in place a genuine top class manager to take the club forward.

Because it seems to me that he's been backing managers financially for a long time now, without seeing any progress.

• 11. At 11:59am on 19 Jan 2009, juninhowept wrote:

i'm really worried about the boro... we look awful at the moment, devoid of drive, imagination, commitment. there are fans saying gibson out! how in a million years can anyone take that attitude to this crisis? if we get relegated, i'd like to keep southgate at the club. he can learn the ropes (again) in the fizzy pop - and we could do with him a centre-half right now!

• 12. At 11:59am on 19 Jan 2009, Ali_Don wrote:

I quite like the Boro. I’ve always had creepy fascination about them. My missus thinks I’ve lost the plot, asking why would a Leicester fan living in Manchester have any affiliation to Middlesbrough? Well, the answer is quite clear. Boro is lead by a good honest Chairman who is a fan of the club, which then makes me a fan of Gibson. Boro believe in having a great youth academy and if I remember correctly there was a Premiership game not long ago where Boro lined up with 11, or 10, academy graduates. Now, if that isnt enough reason to respect and like them, I dont know what is.

Along with West Brom, I wish Boro all the best and it would be tragic if they went down.

• 13. At 11:59am on 19 Jan 2009, Bucksgill wrote:

You'll do ok, you get a run together and should stay reasonably clear. Your Chairman is really good, he could of sacked Southgate lots of times now but he has stuck with him... fair play. Our(Gillingham) chairman has gained utmost respect from lots of fans because he has come on 606 and spoke to lots of the fans. He also stuck with the manager, who is just getting used to the league, through relegation and some very poor away performances(we lost 7-0 in September). But now we are pushing for the playoffs gave Villa a run for their money(haha Young got sent off,,, sorry i hate him for that dive) and our away form is getting better.

Overall, I like giving managers time in charge.

UTG!!!

• 14. At 12:01pm on 19 Jan 2009, juninhowept wrote:

footy analysis - what??? do your sums mate... southgate has knocked 7 million off the wage bill this year, and chalk up the players we've sold.

• 15. At 12:08pm on 19 Jan 2009, American Sport Fan wrote:

Of all the superstitious nonse, go ahead and do it. I've seen fans to strange things to help their teams win. But refusing to shave is completely new. I have seen fans wear bags over their heads.

Btw ZZ Top is STILL one of the Best hard rock bands going. They may be past 60 buyt they can play.

• 16. At 12:10pm on 19 Jan 2009, Spoketoosoon wrote:

I like Steve Gibson and I like Gareth Southgate, but my overall feelings towards Boro remain tainted I'm afraid by the lingering memory of one Steve McClaren.

Sorry, but for that reason alone I have little sympathy for your situation....

• 17. At 12:18pm on 19 Jan 2009, Matt Newsum - BBC Sport wrote:

Good points... but harsh on Digard, who has looked excellent on the recent occasions I've seen him.

Arca has been mixed since the injury he got last season, but prior to that was doing a great job...

...as was O'Neil until Young was flogged and he's disappeared pretty much since.

Chin up Robbo, things will get better.

• 18. At 12:24pm on 19 Jan 2009, Chazz_Reinhold wrote:

Joke writing style.

• 19. At 12:30pm on 19 Jan 2009, realvilla wrote:

you can follow in your tradition of buying ex-villa has-beens take marewood and shorey off our hands if you like...

although i think you just need a old-school coach to get in there and kick your boys up the backside. southgate and lovely colin cooper sure ain't gonna do it themselves, they're too nice.

unfortunately, 'nice' and 'successful management' aren't often heard together are they?

• 20. At 12:32pm on 19 Jan 2009, Bangforyourbuck wrote:

Boro will be safe, they always are... recently. Who else will perform that noble duty of being the one club in the Premier League that no neutral gives a flying rat's unmentionable about.

Seriously, there are clubs in the division I like, those I hate, some which entertain and then there's Middlesbrough. I 'nothing' them.

However, Steve Gibson deserves success for the way he conducts himself. Saints are said to have the patience of him! Whether Mister Ed is the right man to do it I don't know.

• 21. At 12:34pm on 19 Jan 2009, mape_ventura wrote:

... Maybe the Boro should have kept CLattermole!!!

• 22. At 12:35pm on 19 Jan 2009, dan_saintsfc_om wrote:

Got to agree with you view on Steve Gibson Robbo, a classic chairman, and one of what must only be a handful who seem to know what they are doing and can connect to the fans. As a saints fun, oh how i would kill for some common sense and pride in one's team like Gibson does with Boro. Our chairmen have been farcical, and now we are back to the one who ruined it for us all in the first place in Rupert Lowe. I can only see us being relegated.

On a more positive note Robbo, you have converted me as a fan of your blogs, keep up the good stuff!

• 23. At 12:45pm on 19 Jan 2009, CAPTAIN-PARMO wrote:

Gibbo will stick with him, Gibbo gave Gate the job and will look very silly if he bins' him part way through the season, anyway what will a new manager give Boro between now and May - with the same players as Gate's got to work with.
    Gate knows exactly what Gibbo wants and full understands the Clubs philosophy.
    We are not ever, ever going to be League Champs, only 4 clubs have the credentials, success is not being relegated, we may win a cup every 128 yrs, but thats the Boro, thats what we do
    Although I did dream last night Souness replaced him !!!
    TV has killed my lifelong love affair with footy, I'm gonna get me knee done and play golf.

• 24. At 12:45pm on 19 Jan 2009, ilio_rover wrote:

There is an even greater Chairman than Mr Gibson (with all due respect to the man) and that is Blackburn's chairman - Mr John Williams. Just thought I haveto mention it since no one did before me. And theman really desrves it! I'm sure all Roversfans will agree

• 25. At 12:46pm on 19 Jan 2009, ayresomeboy wrote:

Agree with most of what you said Robbo, especially the signings (Although what i have seen of Aliadiere has been good!) You look at how he's sold Morrison, Cattermole (in my view were never spectacular for Boro!) and how they have blossomed elsewhere. Southgate should be given time all the same and then the situation should be assessed at the end of the season, which will need to see several being shipped out (Shonky Shawky, Taylor (now looks out of his depth), Mido as he'll never be happy!! amongst them)

the only thing left to say is "Come on Boro!"

• 26. At 12:49pm on 19 Jan 2009, TrueBlue_09 wrote:

'Anticipated 3 points' at the Bridge, you crack me up sometimes Robbo

• 27. At 12:52pm on 19 Jan 2009, thefartedone wrote:

i think Boro will stay up.. not b'cos they are playing well at the moment but there are other teams at bottom of the table who are fighting with each others to perform like a Pub team! the Likes of Stoke/Hull/ shows more character and commitments they brings new dimensions to the P.L
    Southgate is not a great coach ! i doubt he would become one after spending 3 years learning the trade! he hasn't improved much with all the support from the chairman! M Jol would have finished top 4 if he had a chairman like gibson at Totenham!!!! harry Big mouth redknap is still living in his past , he still thinks he's managing a small town club like portsmouth and southampton ! 12 mil for bellamy and 15 mil defoe?? wat is he drinking??chelsea got anelka for 12 Mil!!!

• 28. At 12:53pm on 19 Jan 2009, kevthered83 wrote:

• 29. At 12:59pm on 19 Jan 2009, boomshakalak wrote:

Can't agree more than with the fact Gibson is a decent chairman - football would be a far better (if slightly more boring) place if everyone was like him...

what Gibson has understood really well is Boro's standing in the game... he isn't a daft fan who thinks they are a "big club" he realises that they are an average club and therefore doesn't get too carried away when they do ok ... nor does it send him into breakdown when they have a bad run... they have historically been an up and down club and the fact they haven't been relegated for a few years is probably as much as they could realistically hope for (along with lots of other clubs like them).

Well done Gibson, well done Robbo for stating this fact and well done to the 10,000 loyal fans that go to the Riverside week in week out no matter how awful the football is you have to watch....

• 30. At 1:04pm on 19 Jan 2009, rs wrote:

If there's sentiment in business then eventually the business will surely fail.

• 31. At 1:08pm on 19 Jan 2009, Darwins_monkey wrote:

Experienced right hand man needed?

Southgate still seems quite green and it struck me the other day that we've had rookie "first managerial post" managers ever since we moved to the Riverside. A strong been-there-seen-it sort of guy might just be enough to get us by this season. Don't think we can call on Terry Venables again can we? Southgate was his captain for England?

This season I'm genuinely worried because most seasons we've had a least one forward pulling his weight (and, as you said, there has been a considerable quantity of weight) but with Tuncay looking a bit subdued, Alves unable to even find the banjo never mind strike a cow's posterior with it and 'ardly-ever-there injured again, it looks bleak.

The West Brom game reminded me so much of the Cardiff game in last year's cup run. A game with so much importance, against probably the worst quality team we'll face in the season - and we get not only beaten but we get humiliated.

I hope that, like last year, we can rebound from that to our inevitable 13th/14th place of safety but I'm not so sure this year.
    Great blog though Robbo.

• 32. At 1:16pm on 19 Jan 2009, bluebarsidebob wrote:

Think the fact that you are pinning your hopes on Downing says a lot for your chances!

• 33. At 1:17pm on 19 Jan 2009, Mark wrote:

Ah, Chelsea on Saturday. We (Sunderland) went down there last year expecting a win. There were 5 goals in that game and I think we created them all!

On the point about chairmen being loved, I think Sunderland fans love Niall Quinn as much as (dare I say more than?!) Boro love Steve Gibson. I don't know if a chairmans name is sung quite as regularly as it is at the Stadium of Light.

• 34. At 1:19pm on 19 Jan 2009, The TM wrote:

Wow dude, you got it right up there. Let's do this aight!! I, GDA, as Gunner, have come up with a counter attack, or sort of assistance or whatever we call it. I'll not drink any more beer till Arse (nal/ne) overtakes Villa........ I'm ready to sacrifice. And if Arse passes Villa. I don't drink till Boro, or is it Bro (with 1 'o') passes 30. That'a way u gon be having you a pardner mate.

But i don't think we both must worry much hey because Spurs, City and Hull are going down. Ok you may ask why i 'ate 'em but;

1. Spurs - Anti Arsenal and 'Arry for 'is love of money.
    2. City - Just to show money can't buy love.... oooops. And with Kaka, Robinho, Gerrard, Beckham, Ronaldo et al, i'd like to seem them divers cutting it in the obscurity of the Championship.
    3. Hull - For that humiliation at the Emirates, and since then they thought they won the 'ship.

2011 here i come, all hair and sober habits and all. Wat da ya say pardner, Boro to win the Premiership and the Gunners to win the UEFA Champs League in 2011? And Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea all relegated. The Big 4 will then be Arsenal, Boro, Milwall & Stoke (Rorry Delap will be Engalnd's throw in coach by then)

• 35. At 1:20pm on 19 Jan 2009, Flux Redux wrote:

These are the ramblings of a "top four" supporter. Don't be so gullible as to think a true Teessider would write this diatribe.

/The beer reference is a dead giveaway!

• 36. At 1:24pm on 19 Jan 2009, John Lias wrote:

Robbo : To be honest, I could do without the " summat, cos, mo " style of this blog - " something, because and moment " are all pefectly normal and serviceable words but glad you put in the bit about Joe Kinnear.

God forbid that Newcastle's plight could be even remotely his responsibility - he is only the manager, after all.

Kinnear must be pleased that Craig Bellamy exists as he is the the only person out there who is harder to like than Kinnear himself.

• 37. At 1:33pm on 19 Jan 2009, superiorraw wrote:

a tidy blog robbo,
    must say that word out that o'neil wants out of boro back to south coast,
    you could do with southgate convincing him to stay at least until the summer.

I agree with pretty much everything in your blog and I have now become a regular reader/follower.

I'm hoping boro stay up in honesty, I'm a united fan myself, but I think there are alot worser teams in the premier league than Boro.

Hull City's recent form has suggested their league position is false, both Portsmouth and Hull have been on the slide.

I feel if Aliadiere and Alves could spark it would be enough to have the creativity of downing and o'neil, then rebuild in the summer. The chairman at boro is excellent, I wish there were more like him!

• 38. At 1:34pm on 19 Jan 2009, lord_boingalot wrote:

Darwins_monkey, considering you see us as probably the worst quality team you'll face in the season I find it rather amusing that not only did we hammer you on Saturday but we also beat you earlier in the season.

Surely, if you can't beat what you see as the worst team in the league at least once out of two attempts it suggests you may need to take another look at who may be the worst in the division???

• 39. At 1:38pm on 19 Jan 2009, ZEUSFC wrote:

#28
    BOUGHT JAMIE REDKNAPP?

"brought" maybe?

lost point by sloppy typo, don't do it again!

• 40. At 1:39pm on 19 Jan 2009, kevthered83 wrote:

quick question. Do middlesborough fans rate Downing? I ask, because I, and irtually evryone else I have spoken too think he's pants.

• 41. At 1:48pm on 19 Jan 2009, collie21 wrote:

boro are turning into a non club, not good enough to make a splash and not bad enough to make a splash either like sunderland were a few years ago. No worries a few seasons in the lower reaches will probably do them good especially holding on to the public schoolboy for a manager

• 42. At 1:52pm on 19 Jan 2009, U13789254 wrote:

i couldnt agree more about southgate, the man is genius with his little quip on a saturday morning football programme about the safety of his job, ps is it true shawky gets the bus to training and no one recognises him ??
    i loved the blog so much i thought i now have to register and give praise
    keep it up robbo

• 43. At 1:52pm on 19 Jan 2009, boomshakalak wrote:

Downing is pony.

• 44. At 2:12pm on 19 Jan 2009, cmmercer wrote:

Couldn't agree more, a great article as always. I think Gibbo and his support for Southgate has been top notch, and as you point out - there is little guarantee that bringing in a new manager will do anything spectacular to our form. However, we should have sold downing when we had the chance - he pulled out one good performance in the hope that spurs would up their interest and now he'll be back to nothing again. for the £14 million speculated we could have got hunt, harper, eagles and boyd (atleast we'd have someone who can score a goal then)

By way of lucky talismen, I have one of my own - in that everytime I have been to see the Boro at the riverside we have won the game - including matches against Fulham, Spurs, Stoke and City (not all 'easy' games) - so if you would like to chip in for my ticket I'd be more than happy to go help them win.

• 45. At 2:14pm on 19 Jan 2009, dyrewolfe wrote:

Another top article Robbo...hilarious pretty much from start to finish.

Its not often that the truth hurts AND makes you laugh at the same time.

Loved the bit about the Riverside pitch being covered in horse dung every fortnight!

I've always rated Steve Gibson. If there were more chairmen (persons?) like him, then the managerial merry-go round we get every season wouldn't be quite the farce it has become.

I agree that Gareth Southgate comes across as a very honest, likeable bloke. Unfortunately, our results this season would suggest that he and the rest of the coaching staff are failing to coach / motivate the players.

I can well believe the likes of Mido, Alves, Aliadiere, Tuncay etc. would rather be somewhere warm and sunny. I'm still baffled as to why Downing wants to go. Okay, if any of the Big 4 or a top continental team had made an offer, I could understand...but Spurs? Still, he's not a happy bunny right now and it does seem to be affecting him.

Any road (just to annoy the whingers) we have two choices: either get rid of all the want-aways or sack the manager and get someone in who CAN motivate the players.

If we do end up getting relegated, I would stick with Southgate and let him find a bunch of players who don't mind plying their trade in the smog.

I've been following the Boro since 1987 and have seen them get promoted and relegated enough times that I can be pragmatic about it. I won't be overly upset...in fact, if we can get a decent team together, we might be in with a chance of winning our first league title since the last time we got promoted!

Now that'd be summat! ;-)

• 46. At 2:21pm on 19 Jan 2009, ^..yûzzy..^ wrote:

Rob,

Do you also support the BNP like you support Middlesbrough?

(Joke style writing... No offence, just asking)

• 47. At 2:34pm on 19 Jan 2009, littlejklc wrote:

Stoke are team surely must down this season. The other two, should be interesting if it includes Man City after they buy Kaka for 100 Millions.
    Spurs and Blackburn will be fine.
    Hull City will be fine this season as well but next season they will be bottom for sure.
    Worry for Boro, Portsmouth and Newcastle.
    I said in the beginning of this season it will be tough for Portsmouth when playing UEFA Cup and it is proved to be right.
    I am not surprise if the the other two are Boro and Newcastle.

• 48. At 2:36pm on 19 Jan 2009, Jwm367t wrote:

i had a dream, and tha dream was boro thrashing chelsea 3-1 the one being a late consolation (we always concede one in the last 15) Im not worried to be honest so im just gonna keep cheering and supporting the boys while all my mates here think i belong in a mental asylum

• 49. At 2:44pm on 19 Jan 2009, dennisp99 wrote:

Hopefully the teams with the most incompetent managers will go down - Southgate and Adams - neither of whom have what it takes to succeed at the top level. Great players both. But like so many great players before them (Bobby Moore, Peter Shilton) couldn't manage their way to the toilets.

• 50. At 2:56pm on 19 Jan 2009, LTFC_HATTER wrote:

A club with more respect for its chairman

Luton Town.

Nick Owen and the 2020 consortium.

Saved teh club, now its sensibly run, have a look into it, they have to be up there as one of the best boards in teh country, it not the best.

• 51. At 3:08pm on 19 Jan 2009, joebloggins wrote:

I Wonder if Jack Charlton could take time off from slaughtering the countries wild-life and take up his old job again.

• 52. At 3:12pm on 19 Jan 2009, Notagain10mins2go wrote:

Excellent Blog - Gibson is by far the best chairman in the league and the boro fans know this.

Downing should be sold only because we need a central midfielder with a bit of backbone - a bit like cattermole but without the personal problems.

Regarding the personal strategy:

1)I have started taking my 8 year old just as I did to the uefa run - he sits and cries before the game and doesn't speak for days afterwards but anything to help.

• 53. At 3:24pm on 19 Jan 2009, thegreatNEb wrote:

What has happened to the classy neutrality that the BBC has been known for?? While this emotional ramble certainly has some factual depth, it also seems to declare support for the total destruction of our language. Even this lowly text box is able to remind me that 'summat' is not an acceptable way of communicating. Furthermore the perpetuating of the English stereotype throwing all money into season tickets and beer at the expense of family and savings not only damages the image abroad, but through this glorification only encourages the kind of behaviour that has landed us in our current financial predicament. There are more important things out there to worry about than if the rubbish team we support 'surprisingly' happens to lose again. Degenerate townies the lot of you...

• 54. At 3:39pm on 19 Jan 2009, Robbo Robson wrote:

Good strategy #52, indoctrinate the little'uns early. I'm getting me five year old grandson to the Boro soon as he's showing an undesirable interest in Man United and in particular Tevez, who he swears is in Lord of the Rings.

• 55. At 3:39pm on 19 Jan 2009, ourmaninbucharest wrote:

Robbo deserves a special prize for this blog:

1. its hilarious as usual

2. The name "Kaka" is never mentioned

• 56. At 3:41pm on 19 Jan 2009, Ant1979 wrote:

If Kenwyne Jones looks like a girl then I wouldn't like to meet her!

• 57. At 3:46pm on 19 Jan 2009, Robbo Robson wrote:

#53. That's right. It's down to blokes like me who like footy and beer, this downturn. While I was ratted and rambling and lying in a gutter some well-meaning bankers forced me to get a mortgage at fifteen times me salary and then the bleeders went bankrupt while I slept off the lager.
    It seems pretty clear that you got your English O level but I'm afraid I do treat the English language like you country bumpkins treat our lovely wildlife. Never mind eh?

• 58. At 3:47pm on 19 Jan 2009, collie21 wrote:

delighted to see your love affair with Harry is over!

• 59. At 3:48pm on 19 Jan 2009, Ant1979 wrote:

Just noticed that the Middlebrough website describes Aliadiere as 'ONE of the most exciting prospects in the English game' on his player profile!

Don't get me wrong, I think he's decent but that just made me chuckle so I thought I'd share :)

• 60. At 3:54pm on 19 Jan 2009, Samwell2804 wrote:

Good Stuff Robbo, quite amusing

altho the words of -
    "We'll have Anne Widdecombe playing in the hole" - Is not an image that I really need in my head my friend?!

Altho I am indeed impressed at your great sacrifice of giving up the beer in aid of your clubs performance, which is very admirable?! Altho how long it will actually last only the boys in the Blue Bell will know?!
    But the thing is how are your articles goin to get written seen as the majority get wrote whilst drinking in the pub?! Colud this be the downfall of the Robbo Blog............?????

• 61. At 4:04pm on 19 Jan 2009, boomshakalak wrote:

56 - very true... i'm not sure what Robbo is used to pulling but i for one don't fancy a 2am fumble with big Kenwyne on the dance floor of the local Ritzy...

53 - don't let it get to you mate... Robbo will not change... its his way of giving it the big "i'm so working class that i can't even write one sentence without sounding like i only have 3 brain cells" ... what he doesn't realise is that many true working class people (like my goodself) find it a bit insulting that he constantly feels the need to talk to us like we are all plebs... but like i said don't let it get to you he won't change

• 62. At 4:06pm on 19 Jan 2009, Pegsinho wrote:

Did anyone see Mido's effort at the crossbar challenge on Soccer AM?

Classic!

Described himself as a "centre half" as well.

• 63. At 4:13pm on 19 Jan 2009, Robbo Robson wrote:

collie21. Nah, I still like Arry. Especially with his slagging off of Bent after he Iwelumo'ed it past the post. It's just even he can get them fancy nancies at Spurs to pull their socks up.

• 64. At 4:16pm on 19 Jan 2009, dyrewolfe wrote:

ourmaninbucharest wrote:

"Robbo deserves a special prize for this blog:

1. its hilarious as usual

2. The name "Kaka" is never mentioned

The story also has a kind of Gavin Strachan appeal to it somehow, like interesting well written news from a different planet"

Funny you should say that. Lots of visitors to the North East think Middlesbrough is on a different planet. ;-)

• 65. At 4:36pm on 19 Jan 2009, Theo Logical wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    It's radical I know but... no more beer till Boro get to 30 points!
    No greater self-sacrifice has there been by any fan. Up the Boro.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Apparently Jackie Milburn once said that the things the men of Tyneside take most seriously are a) their beer b) their football and c) their women, in that order.

You're on Teesside but being close enough to Tyneside, surely you value your beer higly too!

As one beer drinker to another, Robbo, I bow to your grand sacrifice.

• 66. At 4:51pm on 19 Jan 2009, PompeyandProud2010 - Formerly PompeyMilhouse30 wrote:

Robbo,

Boro fans aren't the only ones that love their chairman!!
    Even though we are for sale we still love Gaydamak for putting the money into Pompey and winning the FA Cup, we loved Mandaric as well!! (Till he brought into Leicester)
    Pompey Fans always love their Chairman and its only cause its a business that they leave! We never push them out!!

• 67. At 5:44pm on 19 Jan 2009, Millsotheblue - On the way to Wembley wrote:

Robbo,

I enjoyed reading this but why do you insist on writing with such a 'plebian' style with all the 'somat's, n'alls and 'em . It is erally annoying and adds very little to your blog apart from make me think - "this guy Robbo Robson writes for the BBC yet seems to think he is communicating via blog down at his local." You really don't need to do it - it doesn't make your blog seem like it is the authentic northern man of the people talking about the sport of the people to the people.

End this nonsense,

Best,

Jamie

• 68. At 5:58pm on 19 Jan 2009, Sevenseaman wrote:

One can depend on Robo to come up every now and then with a novel idea to help his team win. I note Boro is an anagram of Robo. I really admire him going the awkward and arduous length of growing a long beard, in order to somehow extract a Boro win. It will be more efficacious though if the whole squad followed his eminent example and do not shave at all until the objective is achieved. The weird sight will surely scare many a defence into abject submission.
    Subject of course to the proviso beard tackles are deemed a more seriouos offence than shirtpulling is these days.

• 69. At 6:01pm on 19 Jan 2009, paul_Boro wrote:

Good Grief 53!!!

Lighten up!

Maybe we need some light hearted banter to take our minds off our 'current financial predicament'

Talk about Mr Angry from Manchester!

It's the first I've heard of the BBC being known for "classy neutrality." Foul mouthed diatribes against old men, dodgy telephone voting and politically biased news reporting yes.

And I'd like it known that going to a football game is essentially a middle class recreation since it is so bloody expensive no-one else can afford it. To suggest that people who watch football do so at the expense of their families is as narrow minded and bigoted as the 'stereotypes' you are referring to.

Football is an internationally loved game that has done more to unite the people of Europe than any politician has.

Degenerate townies we are most certainly NOT. Intelligent, passionate, faithful and caring 'fans' we are.

• 70. At 6:31pm on 19 Jan 2009, grieveforgrievsie wrote:

Evening Robbo,

Interesting take on the vagaries of your beloved club....or, as an ignorant southerner, may be I should have said "clubbo".

It's just that if I'm not mistaken, the seemingly customary appending of the letter "o" to so many key places and people associated with the "footballing love-of-your-life" in your neck of the woods, terms of endearment as they may intend to be, are quite evidently not having the desired effect in terms of success.

Personally, I'm very grateful to you for pointing out that you do not come from the town/city of "Middlesborough". That said I've always been correctly informed that you support the Boro!

No problem there. But I'm just wondering if all this (forgive me) indulging in "suffixos"......eg. My name's Robbo, and I support the Boro where Gibbo is still right behind Southo, that is as long as he picks up a few points by signing Bento....."

Well, may be it's not for me to say....but I will anyway. What's needed now my Friend is a more robust approach away from this nansie-pansie indulgence. So may I respectfully suggest an image makeover designed to bring you the success you so richly deserve.....bring on the "US"!

"My name is Derekus Robbosus Robbsonius (may be we could skip the "husband to a...., father to a.....even grandfather to....or fill in yourself as you think fit).

I am general of that grand and invincible army of our supreme commander Gibbsonius.....ruler of the great BORO" (Yeah....I reckon we can't do much there)!

I might be wrong but you might just see an unexpected rallying of all the troops to effect a turn-around of all turn-arounds! And if not....wellllll....worth a shout, eh?

Or may be as a Spurs fan, I should practise what I preach....."Come on Bentos and head us on up the Tabellus!"

• 71. At 6:48pm on 19 Jan 2009, AlbermarleStreet wrote:

i can't see why so many are complaining about the style, robo.

however, i do think you could add a bit of poetry every now and again. something along the lines of: when sunlight glows upon the flowers/or ripples down the dancing sea ...

anyway, for my money, boro will stay up.

• 72. At 6:55pm on 19 Jan 2009, RefereeSoccerDude wrote:

Add a good old American Baseball Rally Cap and Boro are certain to stay up.

• 73. At 7:10pm on 19 Jan 2009, elstrup wrote:

I think alves will come good. class is permanent and all that

• 74. At 7:11pm on 19 Jan 2009, TopClassCitizen - Its Hart-y Time wrote:

Don't worry Robbo, you'll be crap until you play us (City) and we'll get massacred!
    We NEVER win against you.
    Mind you, we never win against Wigan either but the result on Saturday says different. :)

• 75. At 7:12pm on 19 Jan 2009, angry_beaver wrote:

Boro will go down, they play rubbish football and don't deserve to be in the top flight of English Football. I think once they are relegated they will stay down as most of their players will leave the club like rats leaving a sinking ship. Wolves, Reading & Birmingham are far more worthy that the rubbish that is Middlesborough Football Club.

• 76. At 7:13pm on 19 Jan 2009, Darren James wrote:

No beer Robbo, but there's always the spirits to rely on until Boro get to 30 points.

• 77. At 7:16pm on 19 Jan 2009, A_Brit_in_France wrote:

Another great and amusing blog Robbo and good luck Boro, Gibbo and Gareth.

Talking of Chairmen who seem to have the right idea I thought I would just mention John Majeski at Reading, who seems to have a similar view and a great Manager in Steve Coppell who he has stuck with for a long time.

As for the style of the blog don't change it a bit. I love the 'local' phraseology and words, and if I were in the Blue Bell I probably would not understand a word that was being said, but that is what makes us all different. Being yourself seems to annoy people immensely these PC days.

• 78. At 7:30pm on 19 Jan 2009, skywalker1 wrote:

• 79. At 7:32pm on 19 Jan 2009, Robbo Robson wrote:

#75 Ah now look here angry beaver - and what a blinking horrible image that conjures up - you can slate the club as much as you like but I made it as clear as bleeding crystal! It's one 'o' in Middlesbrough!!! (Well two if you write the full name which at the mo is Middlesbrough O)

• 80. At 7:32pm on 19 Jan 2009, surreyboro wrote:

we're not worthy!
    been watching waynes world?

and wolves, reading and brum are?

its middlesbrough, too by the way
    good blog robbo, keep it up

• 81. At 7:38pm on 19 Jan 2009, redsinexile wrote:

Nah, Robbo, you're safe for this year. It's gotta be Stoke, the Baggies and, I'm sorry to say, Spurs. But give up the beer, now that's a step too far - even extraordinary heroism such as yours has its limits!

• 82. At 7:43pm on 19 Jan 2009, Chris wrote:

Ah another classic comic blog robbo, top stupp.

Gibson and learny best chairmen in league, id pay millions in the transfer widow to get either of them at liverpool!

• 83. At 7:50pm on 19 Jan 2009, paul_Boro wrote:

Dear 75
    We of Middlesbrough Football club are well aware that we are 'rubbish' thank you and we don't need you to point it out.

However, we only say that to each other whilst in the stand or at the pub (Blue Bell/Yellow Rose or the Club) When other fans (especially Geordies or Mackems) tell us we are crap we become remarkably vitriolic and passionate.

We have had a lot of experience of being in and winning the championship/first division what ever you call it these days. We have been up and down more times than the Vicar's underpants on Albert Road. If we go down we'll be back up because we've done it before many times.

Ask us about players leaving our sinking ship and yeah we could name a few beauties from the past, but I'd rather you asked us about our Youth academy that is constantly bringing great youngsters through to the first team in a league where you don't seem to be able to get a game unless you have a visa.

We know we are a small (ish) town. We know we aren't trendy or cool. We know we aren't pretty and we know there's a fair bit of smog around. We're skint and our striker seems to be a double agent for the opposition.

But we are Boro and we are proud to be!

• 84. At 7:51pm on 19 Jan 2009, paul_Boro wrote:

• 85. At 8:09pm on 19 Jan 2009, borosean wrote:

very funny blog, although i'm afraid i don't agree at all with some of your comments on the transfers

digard especially has looked our best player at times, and shawky has been alright!

i also like southgate so i guess that makes two of us

• 86. At 9:30pm on 19 Jan 2009, everyoneroundmyhouseforaparmo wrote:

Another great blog Robbo. I do agree with those defending Digard, though - along with Downing he's been our best player in recent weeks for me.

I completely agree with keeping Southgate for now - for one thing I don't see anyone better to replace him - although perhaps some El Tel-style assistance wouldn't go amiss. How about Brucey Rioch?

Hang on to Stewy and O'Neil til the summer (we can't go rebuilding our team mid-season) but I'd then cash in - since neither really wants to be here - and buy a goalscoring centre-mid and our first proper right-winger since Ripley.

Also - when's the lad Jinky Johnson going to get a decent run in the team??

• 87. At 9:46pm on 19 Jan 2009, physiotastic wrote:

Well written robbo, though i must make the point the actually i quite like Digard, think he might just turn out to be a cracker. Little worried about our situation, but i'd rather we ran the club our way, than do a leeds, spend a jock off load of money, then find ourselves in fizzy pop leagues and playing hartlepool or darlington twice a year.

I think you could sit with southgate in the pub, and over a pint he'd tell you himself we were in the doodoo. But that's what i like about him, he's honest, a nice guy, and he obviously watches the same game i do when i watch him in post match interviews.

Keep the faith... 6 points and we're 10th... stranger things have happened. just watch an interview with steve McClaren on Dutch TV...

• 88. At 10:49pm on 19 Jan 2009, Kermodebear wrote:

Millions of pounds spent on footballers... Does anyone remember the "glory days" of Blackburn when Mr Walker pumped in the cash from his "fortune of 150 million ponds", I remember the papaers saying he had left them a legacy of 30 million to keep them ahead of the game. Its only been a decade or so, but did this possibly start the escalation of wages and transfer fees? Or heaven forbid, you could even blame Bristol City in the 1970s for paying players to sit on the bench and even if they didnt play, they still got their wages (great scandal at the time)... look where those cheeky Robins have put us all now. Up the Rovers I say (Bristol that is, try following a lower side on radio / TV, see what happens then, we would love Kaka's wages for a week, blimey that would about equal the sales of our kebab man outside, well only if it was raining)
    Keep up the good stuff R.
    Cheers

• 89. At 10:54pm on 19 Jan 2009, Robbo Robson wrote:

All right, Digard's ok and could be v useful. but you know how it is. It's easier to see the light at the end of the tunnel through the bottom of a pint glass - and I've ruled that out, so it's sober reflection for the foreseeable.

• 90. At 11:11pm on 19 Jan 2009, Samwell2804 wrote:

jeeze Robbo, u on the late shift tonight, u must be serious bout this no drinkin lark, else im sure ud be in the pub skittled be now?! haha

dedication ive got to say

good stuff keep it up!

• 91. At 11:27pm on 19 Jan 2009, SalemHanna wrote:

Southgate's an honest kind of guy. Always wanted to see him do well in management, just to stop him being remembered as the guy who made a McDonalds advert about his penalty miss. Hope he keeps his job...good luck to ya Gareth!

• 92. At 00:00am on 20 Jan 2009, Canuckchuck wrote:

some one has just fly tipped a sofa on me lawn, I ran out naturally, clangers in the night air, but the buggers had scarpered. Just wondered if you wanted it for the weekend as I am 80 percent certain its a good un, good for a few months at least, but am a little anxious about the springs, everything looks alright but when you sit on it, if you dont get it quite right, its blummin useless. Let me know cos I have a couple of others interested, its got a couple of sratches on it, looks like someone has had a swiss army knife and carved S.A. N.U.F.C on its leg, but a bit of french polishing would soon get it out.
    Let me know, shes yours if you pick her up.
    Canuckchuck

• 93. At 00:35am on 20 Jan 2009, Tevezisgod wrote:

I have to say I used to like 'Boro, but the past few years they've become this team of inevitable boredom. Decent on/off form till january or february then, just before reaching 35/40 points they wobble, sit two places off the relegation zone and people think they may fall further down the table. But then, with about 3 games to go they hit about 40 points, are safe, and just drift around for the final few games, finishing about 16th.

I suggest selling Downing, buying Jimmy Bullard and a striker who can bully defenders, and playing really rough so you can be poor to watch but the Wenger's and Ferguson's will moan about your style enough for people to find you a novelty.

Good, honest blog though

• 94. At 00:43am on 20 Jan 2009, Czechmate wrote:

I want boro, blackburn, and pompy to stay up. Wouldn't mind sunderland going down and Stoke.

• 95. At 05:48am on 20 Jan 2009, ruakaka_red wrote:

I see that Huddersfield have signed a performance director. Apparently its not called "half-time" anymore, its called "intermission". Maybe the boro should sign Tamsin Lucia Khan, it sounded like she scored before she read the news the other night. at the least she'll distract the opposition defenders. and I heard a rumour that Rob Andrew wanted to sign that bisexual army cop, cos he heard she was a decent hooker. Gotta go, I've got 12,000 Christmas crackers to do =]

• 96. At 10:22am on 20 Jan 2009, redstar889 wrote:

Making Gareth Southgate manager showed a huge lack of ambition by Boro.

I never believe that a Premier league club should be a managers first club, they should learn the trade in other leagues before making the step up.

There were plenty of other great managers about that would have had the experience and the contacts to take Boro up a level rather than the almost relegation that happens every season with them.

• 97. At 11:38am on 20 Jan 2009, Richyburger wrote:

When I first read it I thought that you said you weren't going to shave until Middlesbrough had won the league!

• 98. At 12:12pm on 20 Jan 2009, CAPTAIN-PARMO wrote:

96# redstar, lack of ambition???
    Did Liverpool of the past lack ambition promoting through their "bootroom"?

Robbo would the BEEB in interested in my idea of rewriting all Shakespeares work in a Teesside accent?

And keep a look out for me golf ball in the Blue Bells car park for us chore

• 99. At 12:43pm on 20 Jan 2009, skiporovers wrote:

Hey Robbo, Great blog!

Not a 'boro fan but i think you are right about Gibson... I have always liked Chairman who genuinely are in it for the club and he seems to be one of them, similar to Williams at BRFC hes doing a good job and hoping those he hires do one too!

Unlike Ashley, you cant fool anyone by wearing the kit and sitting in the stands.. and lets be honest the laughing stock that is the toon only got funnier when Ashley and his Cockney Mafia sacked big sam and tried the continental approach but decided to hire all British.... IDIOT!

And i disagree that hiring GS was unambitious, you have to give young british managers a chance. We did with Ince and it didn't work.... but GS has in a way..... your still PL and he has tried to bring in players who will produce goals and eventually glory but they haven't performed.... PS Sell Downing.... he is over rated.... 4 good performances a season and the odd free kick goal when you are 2-0 down is surely a reason to cash in on him....

Keep up the good work Robbo

• 100. At 1:07pm on 20 Jan 2009, The_Toonster wrote:

"It's radical I know but... no more beer till Boro get to 30 points!
    No greater self-sacrifice has there been by any fan."

--------------------

So true Robbo, so true. Though I feel Newcastle are in greater trouble than the boro right now. At least your chairman does something... I'm not even sure what ours is meant to be doing, let alone what he is doing.

• 101. At 1:55pm on 20 Jan 2009, Grover_the_Rover wrote:

Brilliant Robbo, great read...
    As a Blackburn fan i reckon we're lucky to have John Williams as our chairman, he like Gibbo knows that continuity of a manager is key to success. Gibbo's the best in the Prem but Williams comes a close 2nd even after the Ince affair (whoever is Man Utds chairman is has the easiest job in the world (probably)). Plus our chairman writes some AMAZING film scores.....Jaws, Star Wars, Superman, Indiana Jones etc etc
    Keep up the good work....

• 102. At 2:11pm on 20 Jan 2009, Rabbie Burning wrote:

Robbo good work yet again, any chance of having a word with chick young on the spl page and sowing him how to make a blog amusing and informative

• 103. At 2:22pm on 20 Jan 2009, unseenforces wrote:

robbo's writing something after a long time from deep down his down his heart....alwayz a pleasure to read robbo's blog...

• 104. At 3:44pm on 20 Jan 2009, TuncayHushHushI2I wrote:

Cracking blog Robbo - "Luv it - Just Luv" seeing Tottingham in the Relegation Scrap. Think it's gonna go dowen to the wire (Last Saturday) but not sure you should be pining yer hopes on Downing and Alves ? What has happened to Tuncay - He scores less frequently than Boy George !!!!!

• 105. At 4:32pm on 20 Jan 2009, Robbo Robson wrote:

no probs with Tuncay - works his little socks off. Infact they all work hard, really. Just may not be enough, but the Geordies are promising to dip beneath us.

• 106. At 4:33pm on 20 Jan 2009, Nick wrote:

Another good blog Robbo.

I'd like to see Spurs, Newcastle and Man City to go down for a laugh as most of their players would run and I don't think they would have the battling qualities to get back up.

You're right you do have a good chairman. I think Arsenal have had a good board though as they don't take any money out and do things for the good of the club.

• 107. At 5:37pm on 20 Jan 2009, Rita Cocking wrote:

ZZ Top,Robbo? Are you sure that you don't mean Rip Van Winkle? Seriously ,though,I have a lot of respect for Steve Gibson,I like the way he gets behind his managers,and does not expect "instant success".I would like to see Gareth Southgate make a go of it,as I was a big admirer of him as a player,and I think he has a lot of potential

• 108. At 6:45pm on 20 Jan 2009, DavePrice wrote:

Robbo,

Just thought you'd like to know that the only guy in ZZ Top *without* a beard was the drummer - and he was called Frank Beard.

That could get you a point down the local Boro pub quiz.

• 109. At 7:04pm on 20 Jan 2009, Villan wrote:

Good blog Robbo....as ever!!

Lerner is loved as much as Gibbo, if not more!! Top top chairman and bloke

• 110. At 11:29am on 21 Jan 2009, IPUthereforeIam wrote:

Hiya Robbo,
    I like your comments without always agreeing with them.
    I believe we will never get anywhere with Gareth Southgate at the helm.
    He is probably the most wonderful person God ever created, but his win/game ratio is crap!
    A good manager brings out the best in players.
    Since taking over, he has sold what could be a really good team of players.
    The original, "err football's a game of two arves... the first one, and err the other one",
    took away my Boro enthusiasm, and the light glows dimmer than the dimwit's IQ!
    Once we've secured the 3 points from Stamford Bridge, there'll be no stopping us.
    Must take me pills before they put me straightjacket back on, so ta ta for now, and keep up the good work.

• 111. At 12:04pm on 21 Jan 2009, swinemilker wrote:

Thanks Robbo.

• 112. At 2:27pm on 21 Jan 2009, Neil Anderson wrote:

I agree Gibson is one of the better chairmen in the Premier League. Part of that is firstly he is a football fan and understands that things are not going to happen immediately. The new owners (usually from abroad) that have come in at various other clubs view their clubs as property to manage. They are therefore looking at a quick return on their capital investment. The perfect example of this is happening at Liverpool and will happen at Manchester City next season, if not later this season.

Another good chairman is Bill Kenwright at Everton. He has supported the manager when many fans gave up and tried to support the manager in the transfer market as best he could. Everton now have possibly the best manager in league behind SAF. This is justified by him winning Manager of the Year twice in the past 4 seasons (2005 & 2007). Not bad for a team that quite frankly has won jack.

As a person who grew up in Norton on Teesside, I know the heartache it is to be a Boro fan, as I often had to listen to friends down the mucky duck or Centenary gripe on about Robson and the likes screwing things up AGAIN!!!!

As a devout blue-nose I too have learnt to be patient with managers and some players, I believe we should all do the same.

Instead of complaining about the results and performance of the team. Go back to the pub, drink, play a little pool and the drink a little more before heading to the chippie for a parmo. Listening to the wife nag you to death about the pavement pizza coming up the driveway will give you a true reflection of patience needed to be a true fan and support of any club outside of the big four.

• 113. At 7:45pm on 21 Jan 2009, The_Cyborg_Seadog wrote:

Great blog, Robbo.

As said, we're lucky to have Gibson as our chairman and his patience with managers is admirable.

However...

I can't say I am a fan of Southgate. As a player he was brilliant; a true leader and as a person I can't think of anyone I would like to succeed more, he's honest and down to earth. But after 2 and half seasons under Southgate's reign I think we've been very poor. There is little to suggest that he will become a good manager, not only are his tactics and substitutions poor and often baffling but his signings are highly questionable.

O'Neil, Arca, Dong Gook, Mido, Shawky and Alves have all been poor signings and only Tuncay, Young, possibly Aliadiere and Digard (that I can remember at this moment) are/were actually any good.

Then his interviews seem highly demotivating. He seems a defeated man. Where was the passion against Sunderland for example? It's no surprise our team seem so lacklustre and lazy.

Sadly, it's come too late to replace him. Do it in the summer otherwise we're going nowhere.

• 114. At 00:34am on 22 Jan 2009, emsti wrote:

No drinking till 30 points??? You sure, it might till next term (2009-2010 season) that they are actually able to get to 30 points. There are in fact only 16 games left in the season now.

As for the beard vow, if it will help you crib some less about the Manchester team and more about the Liverpool one. Then be my guest.

You're correct, Gareth is keeping boro honest. Honest (ly) crappy.

• 115. At 7:43pm on 22 Jan 2009, geordie_hope wrote:

Genius and Viduka has been brilliant for us too. ha