BBC BLOGS - Robbo Robson
IN ASSOCIATION WITH

Harry in a hurry

Robbo Robson | 11:30 UK time, Monday, 27 October 2008

Well it all happened so blinking fast I thought we were going to have to rename him Harry Kidnap! Or as it turned out after a sleepless Saturday night, Harry No-nap.

It must have been like the old punk song. Daniel Levy phones up the Redknapp residence and says 'C'mon! C'mon! 'Urry up 'Arry come on! We're goin' dahn the Lane!'

Cos when you're in the deepest doo-dah who you gonna call? 'Arry 'Oudini. He'll get you out of the tightest scrape. I'm surprised the Cumbrian Police weren't calling him up for a bit of advice on stranded fell-runners.

Course, 'Arry can't resist. Cos 'Arry likes a challenge. And 'Arry likes a big club. And 'Arry is just a diamond geezer with a twinkle in his eye.

But he's plenty of other things too. 'Arry won the Cup with Pompey and they ain't gonna win it again for another 50 years. He could've gone to Newcastle but he didn't and they said he lacked ambition - but there's a difference between ambition and insanity.
Harry Redknapp
'Arry's got an eye for a player and he knows anyone with a bit of nous and a hands-on style can get even the wilting wallflowers of White Hart lane to start playing well.

'Arry had Bolton at home if he signed up there and then and let's face it, in-your-face and rugged as they are, they're not exactly Chelsea are they? He knows when he's wanted so he says I only do it if you get shot of all these other numpties who seem to think they know players better than me.

Levy agrees because he knows Redknapp is the very least Tottenham fans would accept. The reason Spurs are in this parlous state has got a hell of a lot to do with Levy trying to prove himself a big fish in a big pond when, let's be honest, the bloke's no more than a guppy in an ocean.

The Berba brinkmanship has busted the team that won the Carling Cup wide open. It's an object lesson in how not to broker a deal and it seems that, to his eventual credit, he's realized that getting someone in who knows how to do his job is the best bet.

I feel a little sorry for Juande (At A Time Sweet Jenas)... but he let himself down a bit. He should have got hold of the English language way sooner. There's been some dimwit Brits who have foundered in Europe 'cos they couldn't be bothered to getta to gripsa widda de foreigna lingo and they deserved to fail.

Any normal bloke who was working abroad would make learning the language his first priority. Maybe Rushie was told football was an international language. But the same applies to Ramos. There were more English players at Spurs than at most clubs in the top flight so I didn't think he had an excuse, really.

He's clearly not a bad manager... but you only had to look at the ragbag outfit that took the field against Stoke to realise that here was a bunch of players who just couldn't be bothered to get the boss out of the hole, no matter what they said in public.

Levy admitted that he sounded out some players before he ditched El Grouchio and made his move for the craftiest Cockney since Eric Bristow cocked his little finger. And lo and behold, with Arry on the touchline a bit of gumption was shown.

Even Bentley delivered a nice cross that curved and dipped like the brylcreemed fringe on his pretty little forehead. I hope he starts giving a little more for the new old boy, 'cos his only decent performance this season was his flirt with Gabby Logan on Inside Sport.

'Arry had luck on his side v Bolton too. That was never a pen, while Gavin McCann looked for all the world like James Nesbitt auditioning for another tough-nut role and didn't help his sickly-mustard-coloured mates.

The real result for any Spurs manager is going to be a fit Ledley King. He needs new players for certain but it wouldn't be a bad start to find some dead strong gaffa tape to hold the skipper together.

Second thing he could do with is a keeper who doesn't approach crosses with all the calm and confidence of a Jack Russell after a frisbee. And thirdly, he could do with nabbing Diarra from Portsmuff as soon as he can to toughen up a midfield that has all the menace of four toddlers waving cotton buds.

As for Pompey, well they're all chin up and that, but I'm afraid 'Arry was Pompey. It was him that Defoe and Crouch went for, it was him who all them very large blokes were playing for when they won the Cup and I think it's going to take a special man to take over.

Big Sam's an obvious choice given that, Defoe apart, everyone's seven foot tall and good in the air. But Portsmuff wivout 'Arry is like Torvill without Dean, like pie without gravy, like Ant without Dec (although I'd pay good money to the man who could separate them two).

No, the fact is that Daniel Levy has finally struck a blow for common sense at Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. And after the hiring of Hod from Saints, Jacques Santini, the sacking of Jol and the grubby hiring of Ramos, it's nice to see the bloke can actually carry out a decision in the proper way.

Spurs'll be fine now. Even if their hopes of a top-four finish have been scuppered by Hull City. (No I don't understand that either but it is bloomin' marvellous.)

Comments

• 1. At 1:32pm on 27 Oct 2008, rptheyid wrote:

'Arry had luck on his side v Bolton too. That was never a pen'

Are you kidding me?! That was a stonewall penno. Talk me through how it wasn't a pen please.......

• 2. At 1:35pm on 27 Oct 2008, poppyAstonvanilla wrote:

Nice one Robbo! I think that 'Arry will do well at Spurs. He will have to or else what will be left to him? I don't think that Portsmouth would have him back again if it carries on going south at Spurs. Portsmouth remind me a bit now of a wife that knows she was being cheated on and now that she can prove it, he ain't coming back.
    Also, I wonder if 'Arry will raid the Portsmouth squad in January? Expect to see Defoe back in Tottenham white in a few months time.

• 3. At 1:37pm on 27 Oct 2008, onithor wrote:

Why? Daniel Levy Why? You could have took spurs down in style and class ala Leeds. But you had to go and get that braincell(s) of yours working and snapping.

• 4. At 1:43pm on 27 Oct 2008, justinius23 wrote:

ian rush saying that playing in italy 'was like being in a foreign country' is nothing more than an urban legend started as a joke by kenny dalglish when he returned to liverpool.

• 5. At 1:53pm on 27 Oct 2008, Chazz_Reinhold wrote:

Is this guy a bbc journo or an enthusiastc (but limited) fan.

Apologies Robbo if you are an amateur doing you best, otherwise stop wasting bbc funds by writing as an imbecile.

• 6. At 1:53pm on 27 Oct 2008, Brentznet wrote:

• 7. At 1:56pm on 27 Oct 2008, jamminben13 wrote:

My heart and soul have been ripped apart by this move, I'll tell ya.

I echo comment number three, I was having such fun watching Spurs collapse after the way they treated Jol and now they bring in the Godfather.

I'm sure 'Arry'll save em and more, they'll probably end up in Europe. I want him to do well for his own reputation but one thing is definite Tottenham don't deserve him.

• 8. At 1:58pm on 27 Oct 2008, jamminben13 wrote:

FAO Chazz_Reinhold - comment number 5.

Please stick to Radio 3.

• 9. At 2:03pm on 27 Oct 2008, Clarence Cash wrote:

NOT A SPURS FAN BUT THAT WAS DEFO A STONEWALL PENALTY!!

I LIKE ARRY,HE'S A GOOD MANAGER BUT STILL WANT SPURS TO GO DOWN AND POMPEY TO WIN THE UEFA CUP BY BEATING AC MILAN IN THE FINAL!! WON'T HAPPEN BUT IT WOULD MAKE ME GIGGLE!

• 10. At 2:06pm on 27 Oct 2008, Armchair Dave wrote:

> Second thing he could do with is a keeper
    > who doesn't approach crosses with all the
    > calm and confidence of a Jack Russell after
    > a frisbee.

Great line Robbo. I've only seen him play against Bolton and Udinese this week but that pretty much sums up Gomes. I bet if you pretended to kick the ball he'd probably still try and run after it.

'Ere Woody, raan down ta Poundstretcha an get us a bag a frisbees, son. Ere's 50p, and I want some change!'

• 11. At 2:06pm on 27 Oct 2008, alpez1 wrote:

From an outsider looking in, Levy has to take a large part of the blame for the position spurs are in.

Robbo is right to point out the berbatov dealings as crucial to undermining the start of the season for them. He insisted on receiving at least 30mil, while also refusing to pay more then 16mil for arshavin, but just look at the cost of those decisions. If he took 5million less for berba, got the deal wrapped up at the start of august, given ramos a chance of getting the players he wanted, I think spurs would not be in quite the mess they are.

Of course there are other factors, but I hope as levy made his changes this weekend, he knew deep down he could have sacked himself as well!

At least now it seems he has made the right decison, about time though!

• 12. At 2:09pm on 27 Oct 2008, EuroPaddy wrote:

I'm a closet Pompey fan having lived there for 12 years a while ago, and I'm pretty disappointed that Harry left. But I think that he may have made a mistake. He said he was in the comfort zone at Pompey, but I think it's more realistic to say that he was performing within his capabilities. The recent foray into European football exposed his limitations in that area.

So Harry will rescue Spurs' season and restore some pride to the players and the club. There will be some interresting transfers in January, and there may even be a good run in the FA cup. Next season could be a top 6 finish, but I think that's it. Given Spurs highly public ambitions for a top 4 finish and Champions League football, and their infamous impatience when this is not delivered, I doubt that Harry will be given the opportunity to see out his contract.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong. Good luck Harry!

• 13. At 2:10pm on 27 Oct 2008, goonergetit wrote:

Redknapp has got Gunners blood, check wiki, as a kid Harry would marvel and sing for the Gooners as has Diarra as did George Graham and Comolli. Ramos is a class act and his future will testify, support was what he needed, he lost Berbatsoff and Keane!
    Now they've got Bond on the staff as well, lots of Brown envelopes winging their way around the Lane, will they go down ? it will be close, it's a competitive league, but what do they all deserve? including Levy !

• 14. At 2:14pm on 27 Oct 2008, EuroPaddy wrote:

goonergetit,

'check wiki'???

Ah, it must be true - it's on the internet...

• 15. At 2:14pm on 27 Oct 2008, goonergetit wrote:

Sham 69 "come on, come on, 'urry up 'arry come on, we're going down!"

• 16. At 2:22pm on 27 Oct 2008, gunner4life wrote:

Since when did the Tottenham job become a topic of national debate? The last time there was such a furore over a managerial job was when Ericsson left his England post. Not even Chelsea's managerial musical chairs got this much coverage.

• 17. At 2:35pm on 27 Oct 2008, official_historian wrote:

I think `arry knows that this represents the last chance of a big payday for him!

That`s why he`s returned to London so suddenly - and after what he has achieved at Portsmouth, it just proves that the West Ham board were absolutely crazy to sack him back in the summer of 2001.

In reality, West Ham have never recovered from that decision - if anything, THEY should have tried to get `arry back after Alan Curbishley recently left!

• 18. At 2:41pm on 27 Oct 2008, AndYourMum2 wrote:

FAO Chazz_Reinhold - comment number 5.

• 19. At 2:44pm on 27 Oct 2008, chris wrote:

Once again Robbo, your analagies have brightened up my dull day. And for that, I am so grateful.

I am a Sports Journalism grad with a similar writing style to yourself. I was wondering could you help or advise me as to how I could get my pieces printed.

Otherwise, I may end up working for more employers than Marcus Bent has over the last ten years.

O, and to Chazz_Rheinhold, correct me if I am wrong but is your blogging name not the same as Will Ferrell's character in wedding Crashers. I.e the guy who crashed funerals to sleep with girls? Who is the imbecile now?

Robbo is a legend and there is nothing wrong with a little light hearted journalism. Dare I say it..especially, when the current financial and economical climate seems to be dragging everyone down with it.

• 20. At 2:54pm on 27 Oct 2008, Chris Charles wrote:

Afternoon all. In true 'Arry style, Robbo's done a moonlit flit - for a romantic two-day break with his good lady (which in his book involves booking a restaurant table at 6pm so they can get to the nearest boozer in time to watch the footie on the box).

Anyway, I'll do my best to answer on his behalf. 1&9 - I agree, looked like a pen to me (it all depends how many pints our man had necked before watching MOTD2).

5. Robbo was formerly a regular on 5 Live's The Treatment before coming to impart his words of wisdom on the website. He writes it he sees it (and says it), but the blog is meant to be a bit of fun.

15. Like it - big fan of the Sham myself. Hersham Boys? Marvellous.

• 21. At 2:59pm on 27 Oct 2008, EuroPaddy wrote:

Chris Charles on Robbo! now this could get interresting. I might need to turn down the sensitivity of my giggleometer...

• 22. At 3:03pm on 27 Oct 2008, joebloggins wrote:

I Do not think Ramos understood English or the English game, he could relate to neither players nor fans. You could not get more distant from this aloofishness than 'arry who speaks English of a sorts and eats, drinks and breathes the English premier league. More importantly he relates to players and you would expect to see him get the best out of many of Tottenhams under achievers. On Friday morning Tottenham were definitely going down. Now ?, I Don't think they will get halfway in the table but it seems now unlikely that they will be relegated.

• 23. At 3:09pm on 27 Oct 2008, FormerScouser wrote:

For Redknapp the question is why Spurs and not Newcastle.

Easy answer is he lives in Dorset in a very posh gaff in what is said to be the most expensive village in the country. He can get to Spurs in a couple of hours up the M3 and
    I don't think his missus fancied a move to the frozen, or is that flooded, north.

I know my "better half" wasn't impressed with talk of going up north. Arguments about cost of houses, cost of living, ease of access to Prenton Park etc didn't cut much ice.

• 24. At 3:23pm on 27 Oct 2008, Chazz_Reinhold wrote:

Chevron06 - It is the name of the character in Wedding Crasher, funny movie, I appreciate light hearted banter and a "say it how it is" attitude as much as the next man but I (and obviously others) find it almost painful trying to wade through Robbo's nonsense style to get to his sprinkling of valid points that he presents.

• 25. At 3:38pm on 27 Oct 2008, Tavish14 wrote:

One thing to say on this one - WTF!

You are not seriously employed by the BBC as a profesional - worst blog I have seen in a long time.

• 26. At 3:39pm on 27 Oct 2008, Tavish14 wrote:

Sorry about that - guess it's just the Spurs supporter in me talking!

• 27. At 3:57pm on 27 Oct 2008, lobotics wrote:

comment 10 - ArmchairDave

"I bet if you pretended to kick the ball he'd probably still try and run after it."

hahaha thanks for that image, it's gonna keep me laughing sporadically for the rest of the day.

• 28. At 4:10pm on 27 Oct 2008, aka_bluepeter wrote:

Proven goal scorers are as rare as Rocking Horse s.... They are like gold dust that clubs fight tooth and nail to keep e.g. Man Utd and Ronaldo.
    To let not one. but three go at the same time was utter madness unless they were powerless to stop them which I doubt.
    If Ramos was not to blame he should have resigned and sued for constructive dismissal and defamation.
    If he did sanction the release of these players then he's nuts and deserves the sack.
    If 'Arry gets them out of this mess it will be a miracle.
    Beating other potential relegation threatened teams like Bolton is a good start but hardly anything to rejoice about.
    Leeds Utd were once a big club.

• 29. At 4:18pm on 27 Oct 2008, RefMinor wrote:

"But Portsmuff wivout 'Arry is like Torvill without Dean, like pie without gravy"

Surely that should be pie and liquor as we are talking about the cockernees.

• 30. At 4:25pm on 27 Oct 2008, le_shark wrote:

Surely anyone quoting the wedding crashers as a reference point for comedy does not really have the authority to judge on satire

• 31. At 4:42pm on 27 Oct 2008, Parish87 wrote:

25. At 3:38pm on 27 Oct 2008, Tavish14 wrote:

One thing to say on this one - WTF!

---

You're a muppet, this blog supposed to be lighthearted and you should treat it as such. Best blog on BBC by a mile.

• 32. At 4:58pm on 27 Oct 2008, Tavish14 wrote:

31: WillParishLoserFromCheshire??

You are the muppet for thinking I was serious - did you not see the comment immediately after, i.e. no 26!

Satire dear chap, satire!

• 33. At 4:59pm on 27 Oct 2008, Pebejay wrote:

Re comment 09:

Chevron06, firstly I would suggest that you either learn to spell or employ a spell-checker. ( Analagies?)

As a " Sports Journalism grad" (why the capitalisation and why use an American English slang?) I am sure that you were taught many different forms of reporting. Your self-confessed quasi-plagiarism of Robbo ( "a similar style to yourself [surely this should be you?] is probably the key.

Be original, topical, write in English and target the right medium, and you might be lucky enough to work for perhaps one employer in the next ten years.

• 34. At 5:01pm on 27 Oct 2008, TheresOnlyOneK-Dee wrote:

Not the best article Robbo, a bit boring.

Let's hope Redknapp fufils his ability (he's a bit too old to be talking about potential) at Spurs.

• 35. At 5:19pm on 27 Oct 2008, Richyburger wrote:

What I think people have forgotten about Flash 'Arry is the fact that for most of his career he has been in relegation battles/ lower mid-table.

The man to take Tottenham into the Champions League? I think not!

• 36. At 5:45pm on 27 Oct 2008, King-Dion wrote:

Great, highly topical and very amusing blog. Please don't take any notice of the whingers - they read your blog anyway and are suffering from the thick British disease anyway.

Loved the bit about our lame brained footballers who couldn't make it abroad because they couldn't learn a few words of Spanish, Italian or whatever. A very nice diversion from the main story.

Harry is the number one character of English football management. The one and only. Everyone seems to like him because of his unpretentious and traditional style. As a neutral I wish him every success. Harry Hotspur will get Tottenham out of the hole and it wouldn't surprise me to see him at Wembley again next May.

Keep on rockin' Harry and Robbo.

• 37. At 5:51pm on 27 Oct 2008, Anderson83 wrote:

"Cos when you're in the deepest doo-dah who you gonna call? 'Arry 'Oudini. He'll get you out of the tightest scrape."

Yes, just like he did at Southampton.

• 38. At 5:55pm on 27 Oct 2008, The_Right_Royal wrote:

'Arry will save spurs, FACT!

Howeva had it not been for the meddling newspapers he wud be England Gaffa by now.

• 39. At 6:12pm on 27 Oct 2008, NEARPOSTHEADER wrote:

Harry Redknapp IS a good manager; nah daht abaht it, but he's certainly not perfect and he managed to get one of the best West Ham squads nearly into the UEFA CUp one season and then relegation contenders the next, so euphoria should be postponed until the end of the season. However, with the players Spurs have and the money Levy has, I seriously doubt whether they'd be at the bottom come May, regardless of who was in charge.
    Penalty? Like a lot of those 'keeper trying to knock it off his toes' type challenges, the 'penaltee' always makes a meal of it or leaves a trailing leg to 'trip over' the goalie with. A bit fortunate is how I'd rate it.
    Bentley looks like an expensive luxury; 'Arry needs to put that boy straight pretty sharpish.

• 40. At 6:16pm on 27 Oct 2008, mysticaljhb wrote:

stupendous article Robbo! I'm one loyal fan of yours. I love Harry but I doubt if he'll do the 'Houdini'. The wrath will be on pompey for sure. Players like defoe, crouch, diarra etc will be heading north london before you say 'billy goat'

• 41. At 7:11pm on 27 Oct 2008, caz9999 wrote:

Juande (At A Time Sweet Jenas)

Don't know whether that is Spurs fans or Robbo wit, but either way it is sheer genius!

• 42. At 8:04pm on 27 Oct 2008, kahoopla wrote:

I read Robbo every week, and the fact that half the comments are either slagging him off or defending him amuses me no end. Fortunately they don't amuse me nearly as much as his blogs do, great stuff again...

• 43. At 8:22pm on 27 Oct 2008, Robbo Robson wrote:

Blinking heck there's a few bloody post-graduates having a whinge on here aren't there? Grouchy or what? Get back to your libraries and blow some dust off your thesauri while me and the rest of the gang talk footy.

• 44. At 8:25pm on 27 Oct 2008, Robbo Robson wrote:

By the way, I am away with the missus as Chris Charles said but I've managed to sneak off to a wi-fi zone for 10 minutes cos I value every thing you lot have to say... and frankly I need a rest from the old dear. Just how many jewellers shop windows is she going to stop at before I give in...

• 45. At 8:30pm on 27 Oct 2008, aconlon wrote:

Harry is a good manager. Everyone can see that. How on earth is getting rid of the dud and putting a good manager in charge a masterstroke????

• 46. At 10:47pm on 27 Oct 2008, DennyCraneWHU wrote:

Gee, there are some hard-to-please low lifes out there. Even at his uncleverest Robbo is better and more amusing reading by far than most.

I am an Arry fan, so am dilemma-ed between wishing him luck and wishing Spurs the chop.

And on the matter of Arry leaving WH, I distinctly remember thinking that his run of poor results indicated Arry had gone past his use by date at WH. That he resurrected his magnificent career elsewhere is tribute to his charm, humour and his eminent barrow boying. So there!

Only, don’t let him get his hand in the petty cash! On reflection, naw -- that is a bit unfair.

• 47. At 01:19am on 28 Oct 2008, vino147 wrote:

Damn. Why did they have to sign Harry just before they play my team Arsenal.
    I was rubbing my hands in glee last week with the thoughts of trouncing them 5 or 6 nil.
    Now we've got a game on our hands.

• 48. At 01:51am on 28 Oct 2008, fuman61 wrote:

Harry is easily the best manager for the job... ultimately it is levi's fault we're where we are now cos of his lack of understanding of the english game. he liked the 'european style' of management and threw money behind it by getting in santini and eventually comolli but it's taken till now to realise it doesn't work here in england. i know a lot of spurs fans want him out but you can't fault his actions this weekend... now is the time for us to finally look into the future with a manager who knows what he's doing and a chairman who will back him... maybe next season we'll be pushing for top four ;-)

• 49. At 01:52am on 28 Oct 2008, ManicRed wrote:

"FAO Chazz_Reinhold - comment number 5.

I have to echo your comments. I'd like to think the readers of BBC Sport have a reading age greater than 7. The dumbing down is so unncessary."
    I was going to spare you the embarrassment, but then I relised how bored i was, this whole article is mimicking the ways cockneys speak. Good old 'arry is a fed and bread Londoner,
    Don’t be so stupid to think your better than robo, and never, ever question the HR section of the BBC, or it might turn out that you haven’t paid your licence fee for the past 15 years. =P

• 50. At 03:39am on 28 Oct 2008, manningsuperram wrote:

Why does #5 waste bites in cyberspace to post such a negative opinion? If you don't appreciate the robbo strain of wit, then don't read it. It may appear amaturish to the uneducated, but the rest of us quite enjoy it.

• 51. At 06:57am on 28 Oct 2008, Haythnasr wrote:

HAHAHAHAH..... classic.

"All the calm and confidence of a Jack Russel after a frisbee"

Robbo.... still cracking up about that one.

• 52. At 08:06am on 28 Oct 2008, Brian Renshaw wrote:

Robbo,

Your article was spot on the money, perceptive and accurate.

Levy after a series of fundamental errors as Chairman of a football club, bows to the wishes of the fans, sacks the management team, appoints a Mr Popular both of them picking the match to give them the best chance of appeasing everyone and says popular Clive will be in charge in case we don't win but if we win, Harry will have taken over immediately.

Bottleton were cannon fodder, the penalty was in keeping with a staged event (i.e a farsical nonesense), the referee joined in and Bolton couldn't buy a decision and on cue McCann fell on his sword. Even Bentley put in a cross and lucky for him, the Russion nobody glanced it in before departing into obscurity.

It will end in tears in the end, mark my words but in the meantime, Harry will save them from relegation, Levy will unjustly retain a position at a great club which he does not deserve as he would have been sacked in any properly run company for gross incompetence.

Eastenders at it's best (I appreciate that's going back a long time)

Baztheace

• 53. At 09:36am on 28 Oct 2008, Richyburger wrote:

Lets face it Flash 'Arry makes a circle look square by comparison.

It seems Tottenham have a penchant for "dodgy" manager:
    El Tel
    George Graham

It's amazing that if they were from any other area of the country they would be damaged goods, but in London they are regarded as "good old cockney geezers!"

• 54. At 09:41am on 28 Oct 2008, George Rule wrote:

My advice to the whiners is go and read a Mihir Bose blog and then come back here with your tail between your legs.

We might just let you back in.....

• 55. At 09:52am on 28 Oct 2008, George Rule wrote:

to # 12 EuroPaddy

It's what you call doing a "Blair".

To look to all the world you are performing miracles when the going is easy and then clear off just before the (insert player or team of choice) hits the fan.

• 56. At 12:33pm on 28 Oct 2008, collie21 wrote:

It would be nice to see an article written in English. Harry used to be considered a shifty bloke but since he has won the F.A. Cup, ( finally won something after all his years in management), people seem to think of him as God. Ramos did brings Spurs first trophy for how long?

• 57. At 12:46pm on 28 Oct 2008, George Rule wrote:

Any manager outside the top 4 (ok 5 now as Hull are a top 4 side) that wins anything has done a good job.

For some, just keeping a side in the Premiership is a more Herculean task than winning any trophy.

To get the likes of Portsmouth, Bolton, Wigan anywhere near the top half of the table was a huge leap for any of the managers involved over the last 5 years, the likes of Moyes and O'neil have an equally hard task due to high expectation.

My fear for Pompey now is that they go the way of Charlton without the guiding rudder of Redknapp. I hope they don't.

To me the weakest link at the top table is Benitez, yep he won (fluked) the CL and he is top of the league now but I have a feeling there are other managers out there who would have done a better job, and I will bet my house that Liverpool won't be there when the push and shove of April comes around.

• 58. At 1:18pm on 28 Oct 2008, 'If they play football in heaven, this is how it would be done' wrote:

How about the BBC get someone with a bit of comedy wit for our money. Robbo is just like half the clowns on 606 who think their funny.

Yawn. Must try harder.

• 59. At 3:30pm on 28 Oct 2008, TheDeluded wrote:

Not sure of the true facts, so I appeal to the people out there who might know for sure, but this 'sporting director / of football / secretary / deal maker' position ...

at one point, not too long ago, we had Frank Arnesen and Martin Jol. both were used to this setup and put a top 5 team in place.

so does my memory serve me correctly? did our problems not begin when Frank left us for the big buck lure of Chelski? didn't that then put us in in the position where we had to fill that hole?
    and so we filled it with the turd-shaped football vacuum that was Damien Comolli, who could not provide the players that Martin Jol required to maintain his push up the table.

and so Martin made way for a Spanish manager who had beated Spurs by the odd goal, but had absolutely no clue or idea as to how English football is played.

is this not the actual time-line of events that turned Spurs from the 5th best team in the land into the 20th?

it started with Frank Arnesen. and the much maligned, Daniel Levy couldn't keep him, any more than anyone could keep a player or manager that was currently owned by anyone else if Chelski wanted them at that moment.

my point? erm ... well here it is.
    the question is not about tiered management, but personnel. Comolli was just not a very good one of whatever that function is supposed to be. he was, and probably will remain, a particularly rubbish one. Arnesen brought in good players for Jol to use, and Comolli brought in rubbish. Jol was the constant, ergo, Comolli must have been at fault.

please forgive me, I am an analyst, and if my memory of events is incorrect, my conclusion will be affected.
    but I don't think it is!

lastly, 'urry up 'arry is going to be brilliant at Spurs. he's going to get the best out of Bentley and Bent and all the others.
    but if he was already talking of retirement before he started, then how permanent a solution is he?

Levy will be making more changes to the management structure within 2 and a half years. I hope he's already got his own analysts who can tell him this ...

good luck Spurs for our customary mid-table finish - with a good couple of cup runs. let's hope we can just keep the games tight and survive in the cups until January ... we want to keep the european nights at WHL.

• 60. At 3:58pm on 28 Oct 2008, rush-onenil wrote:

purpleanglegeorgina, i'll take you up on that Rafa bet. For my part i'll put in a tenner which is what your house will be worth in April

Whilst Harry has undoubtedly been one of the few managers with a human touch in the Premier League over the last few years, its not exactly a visionary appointment; perhaps more like persuading the bloke in the crows nest of the Titanic to stop looking at Kate Winslets breast through his binoculars and start looking out for icebergs. Yes disaster averted this time, but plenty more between here and New York

• 61. At 9:54pm on 28 Oct 2008, Bircheshead wrote:

Robbo, My first blog ! I enjoy your articles immensely - cannot understand why some people get thgeir noses so out of joint. I am an expat living in Australia and a long suffering Stoke City fan so you have my commiserations with 'Borough. Wouldn't it be boring if we expected our team to win every week ? Well we can always dream.
    One title in 140 years for Stoke (won't count the Texaco cup or whatever it was called at the time) so the law of averages is building up ! Be interesting to see how Harry Houdini and The Wallflowers go against Arsenal - he deserves a big peformance.

• 62. At 10:10pm on 28 Oct 2008, lovelygeordie wrote:

why does this Robbo bloke continually get stuff printed? Half witted, and dull as a bingo night in Redcar. Just like All middlesbrough fans in fact. I hate Robbo. But concolated bythe fact we'll finish above the Boro. and the damn mackems..

• 63. At 11:27pm on 30 Oct 2008, RyanR89 wrote:

BLAME LEVY!!!!

Its as simple as that he got Spurs in this position by forcing out a perfectly good manager in Martin Jol.

Its Like Robbo says he thinks that he is the next big thing when really he has mediorce hands in a mediorce club

• 64. At 09:34am on 01 Nov 2008, mattspur1882 wrote:

Delighted to have Harry at the lane. I'm not saying that he's the Messiah and will solve all problems, but what Spurs were calling out for was a little bit of old fashioned values.

But, as much as it appears to be the right choice, the way in which the deal was conducted was terrible. Spurs under Levy are the crooks of the modren game, we steal other teams managers behind the backs of whoever the current manager maybe. This has now happened with Hoddle (Southampton), Graham (Leeds... I realise that this wasn't Levy but the trend was started), Ramos (Seville) and now Redknapp (Portsmouth).

It's not on, if you hire a guy you need to give him your time and support, there was nothing wrong with Martin Jol, and despite the results Ramos needed more time.

Levy is in the last chance pub, and his pint is half empty...stick with Harry or it's closing time..

Appy Arry's Blue and White Army