Trevor Eve on Front Row
Actor Trevor Eve came into Broadcasting House yesterday to chat to Mark Lawson about his life and career and how age (Eve's 60 later this week) changes the roles you can plausibly play:
Eve: "How old is Clint Eastwood?"
Lawson: "Oh, he's far older than you! He's 82."
Eve: "I'm still 59 until this Friday!"
You can hear the interview on the Front Row website.
Like many people my first encounter with Trevor Eve was TV drama Shoestring from 1979. For me and my school friends Eddie Shoestring, computer expert turned local radio private eye, was the epitome of cool and we would attempt and fail in emulating Eve's casual intensity - the only bit we'd get right is the tightly knotted tie worn at half-mast and the unbuttoned collar. Here's a picture from the first series of Shoestring:
Paul Murphy is the editor of the Radio 4 blog
- You can listen to Mark Lawson's interview with Trevor Eve on the Front Row website.
- There's an extensive archive of great interviews including Russell T Davies, David Grossman and Simon Amstell from Front Row on the website.
- Read about Trevor Eve on Wikipedia and IMDb
- There's a slideshow of pictures of Trevor Eve and a clip of the interview on the BBC YouTube channel.
- Jerome Weatherald took the picture of Trevor Eve and Mark Lawson
- Caption information: "Shoestring S1 1979 © BBC picture shows - Doran Godwin as Erica and Trevor Eve as Eddie Shoestring. Drama series about Eddie Shoestring, a private detective who is hired by a radio station to investigate threats to a phone-in disc-jockey and discovers it may be a longer-running job than he thought..."