Terms of Reference
Here are the draft terms of reference for the PM Privacy Commission. Listeners have until Monday 13th June to offer suggestions and alterations (by email or in the comments), as well as proposals for potential witnesses.
- To determine the circumstances and extent to which an individual's private life should be open to public scrutiny.
- To establish whether there is public confidence in the current practices of the media with respect to the privacy of individuals and the extent to which new communications media represents a special challenge.
- To assess the extent to which current legal measures restricting media reports are seen to be proportionate and have public confidence.
- To consider if current regulatory regimes are seen to have sufficient powers to ensure good practice in media reporting.
- To receive evidence from interested parties.
- To recommend measures which may increase public confidence in media reporting in the UK and the protection of individual's privacy.