And now some music

Eddie Mair | 10:31 UK time, Wednesday, 2 March 2011

Terry Stiastny writes: "Here's a photo of the orchestra and choir rehearsing the lost Vaughan Williams mass -- the first time anyone had ever played this piece in full since it was written in 1899. The world premiere of A Cambridge Mass is on Thursday at the Fairfield Halls in Croydon, with the Bach Choir and the New Queen's Hall Orchestra."

In the report below you'll hear from Alan Tongue, the conductor, who rediscovered the work."

In order to see this content you need to have both Javascript enabled and Flash installed. Visit BBC Webwise for full instructions. If you're reading via RSS, you'll need to visit the blog to access this content.

Comments

• 1. At 11:07am on 02 Mar 2011, jonnie wrote:

I knew nothing about this and find it surprising that it's taken so long to uncover it. Fascinating all the same.

For anyone who's equally interested there's much more here on the Cambs Uni site:- http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/news/dp/2010101201

• 2. At 12:29pm on 02 Mar 2011, gossipmistress wrote:

Amazing, I hadn't heard about this. It's so different from the G minor mass. Thanks for the link Jonnie, can't believe it sat there for all those years and no-one thought of performing it. Vaughan Williams wrote some of my favourite pieces

• 3. At 1:57pm on 02 Mar 2011, jonnie wrote:

I notice on the Cambs Uni link it says he wrote a letter to his cousin he he states the prerequisites for an ideal place to compose and listed his requirements - including good bicycling roads, good food, good drains, a bathing place and shops where one can mend bicycles.

Nice to note that Wifi access and sea views were omitted...

• 4. At 5:55pm on 02 Mar 2011, Peter Hood wrote:

From the preview on PM I have decided that I want to buy it when it is released. I don't believe in a god or other hypothetical religious entities, but well conducted and rehearsed voices, singing a well scored mass are quite something.

• 5. At 6:48pm on 02 Mar 2011, steelpulse wrote:

Eddie. Thank you for this. I was a bit hasty in switching PM off today and didn't hear that this was an item. Oddly enough, I opted for music for my distraction but the link above to Alan Tongue is about to be utilised.
    Earlier this week I was listening to an overseas' actor with alleged personal problems. And afterwards, I wanted that 2 and a half minutes back you see. I had excess of it. Interviewee. Sorry mate.
    PM allegedly seemed to be the wrong venue for thespians comments.
    But Vaughan Williams now. If music be the food of love, play on.

• 6. At 8:49pm on 02 Mar 2011, jonnie wrote:

Yes really enjoyed that whilst battling to move a rad - cheered me up under the floorboards :-)

• 7. At 10:43pm on 02 Mar 2011, annasee wrote:

Hmm, maybe it's time for a listener's question - "Where is the weirdest place you listen to PM?" Jonnie, I think under the floorboards is pretty good. I hope you've been allowed out now!
    An interesting piece. What a wonderful discovery to make, and then how satisfying to be able to perform it and record it too. Thanks for putting this in the programme. And for putting the interview on the blog here too. Just when I think the poor old blog has breathed its last, somehow it gets a few puffs of an inhaler & sputters back into life for a bit.