Upshares Downshares: More than £70,000 raised. And you can help raise more

Eddie Mair | 17:56 UK time, Friday, 19 November 2010

In November 2008, Nils Blythe began his nightly report on the world's economic woes. We asked listeners to suggest a name for it and David Cartwright came up with Upshares Downshares.

We began to play the original theme to Upstairs Downstairs by Sandy Faris, and listeners - without being asked - started to perform their own versions and send them in.

When the recession, and the nightly slot ended, in January several listeners suggested we sell a CD of everyone's hard work.

On October 18th, the CD went on sale. Last week we set ourselves a target of selling 5,000 CDs.

Tonight, I can tell you that we have sold more than 7,000 CDs and have raised at least £70,000 for BBC Children In Need - in part because people have sent extra money. And the cheques are still coming in

THANK YOU if you've ordered one. We are now working hard to clear the backlog.

NOT GOT YOUR CD YET?

Don't worry if you haven't yet ordered your CD. You still have time.

We will process all the orders we receive, even into next week. So please just post your order today and we'll take care of it.

Your cheque or postal order for 10 pounds should be made payable to Children in Need Appeal.

You should send it to "Upshares Downshares, Room G601, BBC TV Centre, London W12 7RJ".

Comments

• 1. At 6:31pm on 19 Nov 2010, Bill Cross wrote:

I must register my dismay at the constant lapses into absurdity I notice in your otherwise serious programme. The upshares downshares exercise opened my eyes about my fellow listeners, I can tell you, and your attempts to flog the CD have been absurd to say the least. Your exploration of silence! and latterly Eddie Mair's flaunting his multilingual skills to no other purpose than self agrandisment continue this astonishing trend.
    Keep it up.

• 2. At 6:44pm on 19 Nov 2010, Hy Dranger wrote:

These constant and lengthy adverts are so annoying that I now turn PM off when they start. I thought the BBC was supposed to be free of adverts? Let's face it you could have raised a lot more money by selling these prime time ad slots for vastly more than the measly £70,000 you have raised. And in anticipation of the inevitable backlash let me paraphrase Ambrose Bierce and say ISTM that "think of the children" has become the first resort of the scoundrel.

• 3. At 6:50pm on 19 Nov 2010, DiY wrote:

£70k...whoop...whoop.....!

Nice one Peeps, Froggers, Frogging Peeps and Peeps-a-Frogging!

:-)

• 4. At 6:52pm on 19 Nov 2010, Lonnwy wrote:

The Upshares, Downshares theme tune always my Ma & me smile all the way through the economic crisis, and I think this cd is a fab idea! Congratulations on reaching and passing your sales target, I hope Eddie & Nils are gonna be on the Children in Need show, they deserve to be!! :-)

Ma doesn't know that she's getting this cd for Xmas this year ... not sure what her reaction will be ... I'm sure she'll love me for it?!

Thanks again to all the PM team, you do a fantastic job! :-)

Best Wishes,
    Lonnwy x

• 5. At 7:22pm on 19 Nov 2010, jonnie wrote:

Really pleased at that news, and glad that I also contributed.

Well done Eddie, the listeners and the team and the BBC for getting the well deserved charity money together.

It may be nice to follow up on where some of the money has gone to - as in how £70,000+ gets spent within the charity at some stage.

• 6. At 8:28pm on 19 Nov 2010, Ellis P Otter wrote:

Many congratulations to you all. I did not buy the CD, I don't have a CD player (except in the laptop). My friends, family and neighbours would prefer rather less esoteric gifts, I don't have a telly, so I won't know what's happening tonight in the show.

But my local paper has told me how I can contribute locally by going to my bank or post office and making a donation. They told me that if I log in to my internet banking I can make a donation to sort code 40-05-30 Account Name Children in Need and the account number is 51535293.

And that worked for me.

At a Post Office, they have FREEPAY 1066

So - if you believe the promotions, as I do, there is no excuse apart from abject poverty not to give... in my opinion.

• 7. At 8:56pm on 19 Nov 2010, Fifi wrote:

I was driving back in the dark when the news was announced that 7,000 people had been silly enough to fork out for this drivel.

The PM audience: daft as a box of froggers!

;o)

• 8. At 11:18pm on 19 Nov 2010, botanyjo wrote:

Excellent news! I'm hoping my CD arrives soooooon.

• 9. At 8:38pm on 20 Nov 2010, vainly_here wrote:

I did enjoy hearing Eddie announce the result last night - reminiscent of Alan Freeman on Pick of the Pops.

Well done, all.

• 10. At 10:54pm on 21 Nov 2010, Roberto Carlos Alvarez-Galloso wrote:

I was hoping to receive a CD but I think it is not for those who live outside the UK. I did want to donate something to CIN. Regardless, best wishes to those who received or are going to receive the CD.

• 11. At 1:23pm on 22 Nov 2010, jonnie wrote:

I see Rory is auctioning one on Ebay ;-) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Upshares-Downshares-CD-BBC-Rory-auction-/160508643200?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_CDs_CDs_GL&hash=item255f0f8780

• 12. At 1:36pm on 22 Nov 2010, Big Sister wrote:

Gosh! It's already up to £37 - and all proceeds to Children in Need! Perhaps some of the lucky CD owners could follow suit?

• 13. At 6:34pm on 23 Nov 2010, andysmale wrote:

I received my CD on Saturday... and then three more arrived today. Is this a record? (no it's a CD)