Upshares Downshares CD. How do you get one?

Eddie Mair | 17:25 UK time, Monday, 18 October 2010

When is it on sale?

Now, and only until November 19th.

What's on it?

The CD lasts 1 hour and 20 minutes, and contains virtually every piece of the Upshares music sent in by listeners and broadcast by PM between May 2009 and January 2010. It also has some bonus tracks, including a performance of the music by Nils and me. There are 89 tracks in total.

What does it cost?

Ten pounds, which includes postage and packing. AT LEAST £5 of the £10 will go to Children in Need, and hopefully much more. The more we sell, the bigger the percentage of the £10 we can send to Children in Need. Only 1,000 are being made in the initial run.

How do I get one?

Send a cheque or postal order made out to "Children In Need Appeal" to: Upshares Downshares, Room G601, BBC TV Centre, London W12 7RJ. Please don't forget to include YOUR name and address.

And here is a photograph of Sandy Faris today at Buckingham Palace, as heard in Nils' report:

Comments

• 1. At 5:29pm on 18 Oct 2010, Big Sister wrote:

Thank you, Sir.

Are you the furry one? ;o)

• 2. At 5:44pm on 18 Oct 2010, steelpulse wrote:

Ah at last. I can shut my ears to my Lady Gaga collection now.

Her "We will Meat Again" was I am afraid and no offence Dame Vera Lynne - the last straw. Upstairs Downstairs/Upshare DownShares on my soon to be got wind up gramaphone pod thing! Hooray!

You didn't vote for whom Eddie Mair and how did Government Minister politician know? I missed something there did I?

Okay Sandy - no further! lol

• 3. At 5:48pm on 18 Oct 2010, Anna Cardium wrote:

"Please don't forget to include YOUR name and address."

Wot? No nicknames?

• 4. At 5:52pm on 18 Oct 2010, Lady_Sue wrote:

Brilliant! Nils is shorter in real life than he is on the radio.

• 5. At 5:56pm on 18 Oct 2010, Fifi wrote:

Wouldn't it be just too amazing if THE SONG were on there somewhere!

;o)

• 6. At 5:58pm on 18 Oct 2010, Juanjo99 wrote:

For goodness sake!!!!

It was bad enough suffering "look-at-me-Mum" variants of the Beeb's "Upshares/Downshares" signature tune for months on end- one notes that missing were variants such as the "Dead March of Saul" version and 90 seconds of respectful silence surely more appropriate for the dismal news that usually followed.

My advice to those purchasing the CD for charitable purposes, while still wishing to retain their sanity, is to limit the use of the CD to deicing their windscreens!.

• 7. At 6:08pm on 18 Oct 2010, nikki noodle wrote:

Ten pounds Sterling, you say?!

And at least half going to charity, you say?!

Right, I am buying a dozen - that's my christmas presents sorted for this year! And they should be easy to wrap....

And I might splash out on a roll of ribbon to complete to effect, jollity all round!
    n-n
    xx

• 8. At 6:19pm on 18 Oct 2010, Sindy wrote:

6. Juanjo99

Well, instead of just moaning, you could have told us about some of that pressing news that we all missed!

• 9. At 6:25pm on 18 Oct 2010, Juanjo99 wrote:

8. Sid

How about "A survivor of the 7/7 attacks criticised emergency service "protocols" on entering dangerous situations that left some people to suffer excruciating pain for up to 40 minutes before they died." ?

• 10. At 6:27pm on 18 Oct 2010, Alan_N wrote:

If I send 20 pounds will you promise not to send me two copies?

• 11. At 7:13pm on 18 Oct 2010, Stewart_M wrote:

Alan just don't send your name. The £20 will no doubt be appreciated.

• 12. At 7:17pm on 18 Oct 2010, elcej wrote:

Alan, Better still, send me the £20 and I guarantee you won't receive a thing

• 13. At 7:33pm on 18 Oct 2010, Lady_Sue wrote:

Fifi, erk, you don't mean that awful parody of 'Always look on the bright side of life' rather ghastly ditty, do you? The idea is to sell copies! ;o)

• 14. At 9:31pm on 18 Oct 2010, annasee wrote:

Juanjo99 "Now, despite substantially more pressing news items needing airing, PM editors are wasting more valuable air-time promoting the Beeb's self-aggrandizing CD of the signature tunes under the excuse of charity donations." Dear me, don't hold back. I mean, if you don't approve, just say so, all right?

I don't think you can accuse the BBC of self-aggrandising on this.It was the listeners who sent in the music, despite Eddie trying to forbid it. And the listeners who wrote in asking for a CD to be put together and sold for charity. I should think it's been a real headache jumping through all the legal hoops with copyright, performing rights, royalties etc to even get the thing produced. I think they've been quite sporting about it to get it done. It's probably not part of the NCA remit to do such a thing: "Produce CD containing spontaneous contributions of a musical nature from listeners to a flagship news programme." Sometimes you just have to go with the weird and see what happens.

I can promise you the old PM Theme is in there. Even if I'm the only person in the whole world who knows (or cares) where it is. I suppose I'll have to buy one. For my mother, you understand;-)

PM team, I suggest you squirrel away at least 1/2 of the first pressing, then hock them off on ebay for ten times the cover price when demand far outstrips supply. That way you'll make lots more money out of them. (Well, it seems to work with Xmas must-have toys, anyway.)

• 15. At 10:23pm on 18 Oct 2010, Sindy wrote:

9. Juanjo99

Yes - I heard that too. On the BBC News.

• 16. At 10:52pm on 18 Oct 2010, okdave wrote:

Can i send a 10 £ note for a copy of the Upshares CD ? or is it only for UK residents ? o.k. dave, Co.Kerry, Ireland

• 17. At 11:27pm on 18 Oct 2010, U14638904 wrote:

I'm sorry PM, I don't think I can bring myself to buy it.

The system it is making music about is sickening. It doesn't do the job of evaluating firms properly because it is hugely suspectible to every rumour mill, every passing band wagon and every half baked change in so-called macroeconomic expectation.
    Worse still it determines how wealthy the rich shall be, by they themselves talking up the value of their own assets at every conceivable opportunity.
    And worse, and worse yet, when the signal goes out - the sharp interest rate cut - as it did in Japan in the late 80s (precipitating the Lost Decade there) and when Greenspan set off the squeeze on the sub prime poor (precipitating the credit crunch) these markets more than do their bit to put the economy into reverse. (The reverse is designed to impoverish workers and bring competeting capitalisms into line. The rich can stand it better than the poor. The end-process is that wages are bid down, profits up. See it as a capital strike. As Ed's dad would have said, for Marx these are periods of profit creation)

Then most sickening of all, as soon as governement is cutting workers' social wage as hard as it can go, the share markets bid themselves back up again in jubilation.

The degree of satire of this appalling process contained in the use (retitling) of the music, is a little light, to say the least.

• 18. At 11:39pm on 18 Oct 2010, U14638904 wrote:

You can use these remarks as sleeve notes.

If you want a signed copy of this post as souvenir sleeve notes I'll send 10 copies to the PM office for them to send to the first 10 listeners who mail a receipt from Children in Need for 1000 quid to PM.

If they agree. They have SO much less to do now they've closed the Glass Boxes.

Of course if they could get Ed to add a 'My dad would have agreed with this' signed note I should think you could make that 10 thou, eh.

• 19. At 00:26am on 19 Oct 2010, Lady_Sue wrote:

Gosh Mr. Eqaualiser, you do talk a load of windbaggery nonsense.

• 20. At 01:53am on 19 Oct 2010, jonnie wrote:

Oh Lady Sue. The Bright side of life was the first attempt at a bit of money for charity on PM!

Fifi and the band were amazing...

What's become of your Aussie/Irish heart ;-)

x

• 21. At 01:56am on 19 Oct 2010, jonnie wrote:

I noticed Eddie's little quip as to ordering cheque books in advance - but it's all too much of a bore.

I'm sticking some dosh in an envelope and hoping for the best. If the Beeb have problems with cash, so be it.

• 22. At 06:31am on 19 Oct 2010, elcej wrote:

Mr Equaliser...... I think the correct phrase to use is "take a chill pill dude".

It's just a bit of fun.
    Do you know what fun is?
    Do you ever laugh?

• 23. At 09:27am on 19 Oct 2010, Big Sister wrote:

18: A better bet for raising funds would be for you to promise never to post again (under any ID) on this blog. I suspect there may even be people in the White City who might be prepared to donate to CiN to that end ;o)

• 24. At 11:13am on 19 Oct 2010, mittfh wrote:

Re: Post 20 (jonnie)

We could always write, perform, collate and edit Frog Song Mk. II for next year's appeal... :)

• 25. At 12:29pm on 19 Oct 2010, DiY wrote:

It still amazes me that there are still lots of grumpy-pants peeps about!

Is Fifi's Hedgehog song one of the bonus tracks?

• 26. At 1:02pm on 19 Oct 2010, Emile Henry wrote:

I was amused to hear Eddie asking what a Postal Order is. I'm slightly more concerned that I can't remember the last time I saw a cheque book...

• 27. At 1:06pm on 19 Oct 2010, vainly_here wrote:

Why is Sir Humphrey in the picture?

Jonnie - send a Postal Order.

• 28. At 1:09pm on 19 Oct 2010, vainly_here wrote:

By the way, Lady Sue, I have a CD containing two versions of the Froggers' song (separated by other famous tracks such as "The Railroad comes through the Middle of the House"). If you'd like copies of the tracks of your very own, you know how to contact me...

• 29. At 2:35pm on 19 Oct 2010, AmbassadorDelenn wrote:

Arrrggh! I've just noticed the bit about only 1,000 being made in the first run. Panic Buy! Panic Buy!!!

• 30. At 10:02pm on 19 Oct 2010, okdave wrote:

Dear Me, Looks like the students have shut up!! Please can someone answer my question (blog 16) OK DAVE

• 31. At 10:07pm on 19 Oct 2010, annasee wrote:

I've just read the "1 hour & 20 minutes" bit. That's a lot of listening to one tune... makes Wagner seem like the Reader's Digest by comparison.

• 32. At 09:21am on 20 Oct 2010, Big Sister wrote:

okdave: I don't think you'll be the only person sending a ten pound note for the CD (as long as it's of the right type) - but as an alternative you could send an international money order, I suspect, which should be available from a post office. I can't see that this would be a problem as the Beeb are accepting postal orders ....

• 33. At 10:10am on 20 Oct 2010, The Intermittent Horse wrote:

£10 note in the post? Bad, BAD idea!

• 34. At 10:52pm on 20 Oct 2010, okdave wrote:

Big Sister,thanks for your surgestion, i thought I.M.O.'s went out with radio nordsea & luxenberg. I could get a sterling p.o but they have a flat fee of 4€ but they,ll also want more for postage to Ireland, so i won't bother. OK DAVE Co. Kerry