Sir Norman Wisdom dies.

Eddie Mair | 11:48 UK time, Tuesday, 5 October 2010

You can see and hear more by clicking this.

From "Norman Wisdom in Wonderland : The Secret Life of Norman Wisdom aged 92", shown in 2008

He was very big in Albania.

In order to see this content you need to have both Javascript enabled and Flash installed. Visit BBC Webwise for full instructions. If you're reading via RSS, you'll need to visit the blog to access this content.

Comments

• 1. At 12:23pm on 05 Oct 2010, jonnie wrote:

Very sad. My Dad adored his films so Norman always takes me back to the early childhood days. Very funny charismatic man.

• 2. At 12:30pm on 05 Oct 2010, U14637071 wrote:

Goodness, so sad, but so inevitable. 'Trouble in Store!' As a child he would thrill me, making me think adults were like us only bigger.
    He was one, a most important one, of a number of my childhood children's celebrities. Him, Charlie Drake, Humphrey Lestocq, Bluebottle the Goon, Kenneth Williams, oh, and Petula Clark whom I was so in love with, it took Bridget Bardot and a girl I met in France to let me put her out of my mind.
    Norman would have understood just how I felt. God bless.

• 3. At 12:38pm on 05 Oct 2010, Noisette D Agneau wrote:

R.I.P Sir Norman,
    We'll miss you, but we've got the archives.

It's getting to be a regular obituary blog....

• 4. At 1:41pm on 05 Oct 2010, The Intermittent Horse wrote:

PrivateIEye (2) - Humphrey Lestocq? Now, him I don't remember. Not even a google and a wiki has stirred a memory.
    But what a wonderful man Norman Wisdom was.

• 5. At 2:37pm on 05 Oct 2010, Anne P wrote:

Was never a fan of slapstick, but when I encountered him later I realised how versatile and talented he was. By all accounts also very modest. A good life, well lived.

• 6. At 4:08pm on 05 Oct 2010, DrATty wrote:

RIP Norman. At least we can look forward to some great classic comedy on TV for few weeks.

• 7. At 4:47pm on 05 Oct 2010, Looternite wrote:

I remember seeing him on the telly when I was a kid. It may have been Sunday night at the London palladium or was it a Royal performance. Anyhow to a kid he was funny. Although I was not that impressed by his films, maybe that I was older when they were televised.

He will be forever remembered.

• 8. At 5:16pm on 05 Oct 2010, davmcn wrote:

I take that most Albanians are fairly short. By that I mean the people of Albania, not the people of St Albans.

• 9. At 5:30pm on 05 Oct 2010, jean-harding wrote:

With David Cameron's latest take to review the compensation culture, I wonder if Health and Safety's proposed changes due to have come up for discussion on 1st October 2010 will hold any revisions for people such as me.

Slightly disabled, I usually need an arm to hold onto when walking in the community. But my daughter, a former nurse, refuses hers under the Health and Safety via nursing ruling that while supporting me, her back would suffer.

My eye-specialist thinks similarly. "Can't you lean against the wall and edge your way to the eye-test room on your own? If I helped you and you fell, I'd get the blame!"

Surely these are cases of two employers signed up to their insurance regulations to maintain low premiums irrespective of any Respect to those of us in society who need their service?

On the more personal if not affectionate front, do brides marrying older today, dare to hold the arms of subsequently older dads as they're led up the aisle to be given away? Or younger ones having captured a lovely old sugar daddy, take his arm to support him back down the aisle?
    Or should we try to manage our own independence alone, submit and get used to the cold, unfeeling and isolation of current appliances seemingly to aid any physical restriction instead of asking where we lost the mystery of human contact with its closeness and warmth and sometimes of the love that that the holding of human arms can bring?

• 10. At 7:24pm on 05 Oct 2010, DiY wrote:

Good Bye Norman...and thanks.

P Nutt

• 11. At 11:20pm on 05 Oct 2010, U14637071 wrote:

Oh, dear, has he become invisible or can't I spell? I've got a photo of me with him at a charity cricket match. I'll upload it and link to it if all else fails us. It was the era of Muffin and of course Norman. The cricketing hero batting for charity was Colin Cowdrey. He entertained a few grown ups gathered round him whilst he dealt with the queue of kids wanting autographs by demonstrating he could forge Len Hutton's signature and laughing at hiso wn MCC initials. I've still got....
    Sorry, got a bit involved there! Yes, it was the era of Mr Turnip, a desk top monocled poshie in a morning suit. Humphrey was, I think, his interlocutor. Anyway, he was another media personality with a charismatic power over kids like me.

• 12. At 3:11pm on 06 Oct 2010, patmartin wrote:

Reading the above comments has given me a clearer idea of how old some of the regular correspondents are (not that it matters). Humphrey Lestocq's early Saturday evening Whirlygig with Mr Turnip was the highlight of my week. Now all there is to look forward to is Anne Widdecombe waltzing and Cheryl Cole shedding tears.

• 13. At 3:20pm on 06 Oct 2010, patmartin wrote:

Should have added that Humphrey was also a film actor. He was in Waltz of the Torreadors and Bomb on the High Street among others. Geoffrey Bayldon was also in the latter of those two and he lit up my children's Saturday (or possibly Sunday)evenings with Catweazle. Sorry got a bit off the subject there but it's my age

• 14. At 10:33pm on 06 Oct 2010, scotty wrote:

did Norman Wisdom Petula Clark ever appear in a film together ???

• 15. At 11:20pm on 06 Oct 2010, Sindy wrote:

12. patmartin
    "Humphrey Lestocq"

He's in the journal of obscure British actors ...

• 16. At 4:55pm on 07 Oct 2010, davmcn wrote:

Spent quite a bit of time in St Albans, Norm did.

• 17. At 10:12am on 08 Oct 2010, davmcn wrote:

A St Albans man was Norm's publcist for the last 41 years and a tailor's shop, A Stitch In Time, was named after one of his works.
    That's enuff Norm: Ed