« Previous | Main

PM Glass Box

Post categories:

Eddie Mair | 17:56 UK time, Tuesday, 10 August 2010

jackandvera.jpgEvery day a dedicated team of people work very hard to make PM as good as it can be. Today the team is led by Joanna Carr and Steven Wright. He's not Steve Wright in the Afternoon.

After 1800, while we sit in a Glass Box in our office, discussing what worked and what didn't, why don't you let Jo and Steven know what you think?

Please confine your comments to the production of the programme.

Comments

  • 1. At 6:09pm on 10 Aug 2010, Patrick Too wrote:

    Cameron says 1.5bn for benefit fraud but I'm also hearing figures banded about of anything between 9 and £15bn for tax evasion/avoidance. Any chance of looking into this? I would also love to hear from a politician on why they are not naming, shaming and creating hours of negative propaganda against the rich boys and girls who are getting away with this.

    Complain about this comment

  • 2. At 6:11pm on 10 Aug 2010, Alexandra wrote:

    Eddie. Couldn't you at least make the obvious connection between speeding motorists and the innocent victims of them - yes, the roadkill your programme so very jauntily discussed? Every death on the roads is a tragedy - whether it is human or animal. I hate seeing dead animals on the roads for this very reason. Not all are killed outright and many are simply trying to get from A to B. To be frank, it puts me off even going on a coach journey through places like Norfolk because the major roads in particular have so many dead animals on them. Roadkill is one of the saddest words in the English language.

    Complain about this comment

  • 3. At 6:16pm on 10 Aug 2010, Sindy wrote:


    Interesting to hear that the use of credit rating agencies which had the usual suspects getting so worked up this morning has been going on for years under the previous government.

    Complain about this comment

  • 4. At 6:17pm on 10 Aug 2010, IMOORE wrote:

    I am getting pretty fed up hearing Chief police officers sounding off and claiming that death a destruction are coming to our roads, with the BBC giving them a leading kick the Government question.

    Perhaps the next time PM has a Chief police officer giving us his considered opinion on road safety PM will ask him about whether he would like to have people walking in front of cars carrying a red flag. Then I am sure the accident rate will drop, better still perhaps he would give us his opinion about how safe the roads will become if we ban all motorised traffic and have everybody walk!


    Complain about this comment

  • 5. At 6:21pm on 10 Aug 2010, IMOORE wrote:

    The BBC seems to be going out on a limb in its excitement to detect the first signs of the economic dip in the double dip they desperately seem to want. This excitement is bordering on talking the economy down.

    Complain about this comment

  • 6. At 6:24pm on 10 Aug 2010, artifus wrote:

    1 - agreed. the use of language on the two government sites for reporting benefit fraud and tax fraud is quite telling, considering they are both essentially the same crime. how much is the government spending on awareness of and investigation into these two crimes compared to how much they reportedly cost the country?

    Complain about this comment

  • 7. At 6:54pm on 10 Aug 2010, Fearless Fred wrote:

    IMOORE (4) You forget that the underlying fact is that these cameras provide evidence for the issuance of a fine to people who have broken the law of the land and have chosen to do so. This isn't some obscure law that people aren't aware of. There are clear reminders in the form of signs showing the legal speed limit on the roads themselves. In the case of Oxfordhire, I can tell you (as I live in Oxfordshire) that there are also clear warnings that speed cameras are used on certain roads, including signs about half a mile before the camera that there are speed cameras in use on that road. If people choose to ignore the warnings and disregard the law, then they deserve the relevant punishment as dictated by the sentencing guidelines. So you don't like the fact that the legal limit is enforced. Others don't like the fact that there are legal limits on pharmaceutical products. Shall we ignore all laws on drug-taking? Some don't like the legal restrictions on removing items from a property, so shall we all just ignore the law with respect to breaking and entering and theft?

    Complain about this comment

  • 8. At 7:03pm on 10 Aug 2010, IMOORE wrote:

    7/

    Well when money is no object then we can ensure total compliance with the law, we can have every millimetre of road covered with GATSO's, that is the logical conclusion of what these Chief Police officers are saying, but in the real world there is a limited supply of money, more limited than we had a few years ago, so bells and whistles the Chief Police officers had at their disposal then aren't available now, and its about time they woke up to the fact that we have an unsustainable budget deficit instead of mouthing off on the radio.

    Complain about this comment

  • 9. At 7:14pm on 10 Aug 2010, Looternite wrote:

    So the ConDems are going to be tough on benefit fraud.

    It is a crime to steal or defaud the government of benefits, sure, but also tax evasion is criminal. Then the announcement that the justice ministry is have its budget slashed. So all these extra criminals caught by the privateers will surely clog up the justice system!

    Something smells of spin and Daily Mail columnist opinion, as I said in another post, in 1970 the incomming Tory government was going to sort out the workshy living on the dole.

    Complain about this comment

  • 10. At 7:22pm on 10 Aug 2010, U14581075 wrote:

    5. IMOORE.
    Did you manage to catch the ITV News this evening at 6.30? It sounded as if they were expecting the Great Depression all over again!

    Complain about this comment

  • 11. At 7:30pm on 10 Aug 2010, IMOORE wrote:

    As the Kurdish area of Iraq is now the land of milk and honey I presume the BBC will no longer be trying to sell us some sob story about the plight of Kurdish asylum seekers sent back to their country.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/7556290.stm

    Complain about this comment

  • 12. At 8:08pm on 10 Aug 2010, Looternite wrote:

    11. IMOORE
    Two conflicting stories both on the BBC. On one programme as you say a land all sweetness and enlightenment and yet "refugees" don't want to be sent back there.

    Something tells me that someone may be making a bogus claim!

    Complain about this comment

  • 13. At 9:12pm on 10 Aug 2010, unclesocial wrote:

    Benefit Fraud - If the government are willing to give millions of pounds to private complanies like Experian to chase benefit fraudsters, I'm wondering if they'll show the same level of commitment to those who use their immense wealth to avoid paying their fair share of tax. It really is unfair of business to suggest that if they had to pay the same level of tax as the rest of us they would have to take their business abroad. That's what they do already isn't it. Ask Sky and others who register their companies in Lichtenstein and other tax havens so they are exempt from UK tax. Is this fair on the rest of us. Companies employing staff here should be registered here and subjected to the same rates of tax. This would help cut the deficit.

    Complain about this comment

  • 14. At 10:11pm on 10 Aug 2010, U14581075 wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 15. At 10:22pm on 10 Aug 2010, Sindy wrote:

    14. antoniogramsci

    I think you're right.

    Complain about this comment

  • 16. At 11:10pm on 10 Aug 2010, needsanewnickname wrote:

    Er - Jack and Vera

    Complain about this comment

  • 17. At 00:20am on 11 Aug 2010, U14581075 wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

  • 18. At 06:05am on 11 Aug 2010, artifus wrote:

    http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2008/02/01/25-billion-the-cost-of-tax-avoidance/

    http://citywire.co.uk/new-model-adviser/tax-evasion-costs-treasury-15-times-more-than-benefit-fraud/a378274

    http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/pressoffice/press_index/press_office201022

    Complain about this comment

  • 19. At 11:06am on 11 Aug 2010, normanmugabe wrote:

    Yesterday, we had Oxfordshire stopping the speed cameras through lack of money. The Wall Street Journal carried a story 17th July that counties in America are ripping up asphalt roads as they too are too broke to maintain services. One report said, the potholes on one road were so big, ducks were colonizing them.

    Complain about this comment

  • 20. At 12:28pm on 11 Aug 2010, Patrick Too wrote:

    Never mind the speed cameras. Before long every car will have a chip in it to control speed automatically. Cars too old for this will presumably be banned. I wouldn't put it past them. Still, it would make the roads less congested with everyone going the same speed.

    Complain about this comment

  • 21. At 12:32pm on 11 Aug 2010, Patrick Too wrote:

    Good links Artifus. Wonder if the PM bods will take us up on this.

    Complain about this comment

  • 22. At 1:47pm on 11 Aug 2010, mittfh wrote:

    Re: Post 20 (Patrick Too)

    And if road pricing ever gets off the ground, you'll also be charged differing amounts of tax depending on the time of day and road type you're travelling along.

    Or (more likely) the process of designing and building the database will be about as easy as the single NHS computer system. The one that got shuffled between several different companies, ran seriously over budget, and still wasn't ready for complete implementation and deployment by the time of the government changeover.

    Complain about this comment

  • 23. At 6:54pm on 11 Aug 2010, Lepus_Madidus wrote:

    I can't be bothered checking the police stats for the switched off speed camera in Cowley and I am no Tim Harford, but:

    'Hmm, so they took measurements over a long weekend and compared those results with the average for the year. I think I was about 4 when I had enough mathematical knowledge to know that comparing absolute values over short periods with averages over long ones is of no use whatsoever.

    Gee, I just tossed a coin four times and got four heads! That's an increase of 100% over the average, so that means the laws of physics have just changed!'

    from:

    http://pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=10&t=889294&i=20&mid=187042&nmt=Oxfordshire%20-%20post%20speed%20camera%20death%20and%20destruction....


    It seems like their grasp on how to use statistics isn't that hot.


    Can we get Tim Harford in to have a look at the data the police were using for their speed cameras in Oxon?

    Complain about this comment

  • 24. At 10:47pm on 11 Aug 2010, Sindy wrote:

    23. Lepus_Madidus

    We need Mac's Boys' Own Book Of Statistics. Apparently it's very good.

    Complain about this comment

  • 25. At 10:50am on 20 Aug 2010, PhilT wrote:

    This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules.

View these comments in RSS

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.