Physical endurance

Sequin | 10:00 UK time, Friday, 25 June 2010

After THAT tennis match

What's been your greatest feat of physical endurance?

i may be able to cycle a long way, and I'm a pretty good distance walker, but I recently bought a skipping rope and can barely manage to get to a hundred "skips" before gasping for breath. oh dear.

Comments

• 1. At 10:31am on 25 Jun 2010, Moray Mint wrote:

• "What's been your greatest feat of physical endurance?"

Getting out of bed in the morning...

• 2. At 10:50am on 25 Jun 2010, Big Sister wrote:

Probably, for me, it was when I was in a major car accident, which I was lucky to survive. I was trapped in the car, just off a motorway, for two hours, one of which was spent while the emergency services struggled to free me from my car (my leg was trapped underneath it when the door flew open on impact). The endurance was to do with the immense pain from my fractured femur, as they couldn't administer painkillers. Once released, there was the journey in the ambulance, the fractured bone hurting excrutiatingly with the motion of the vehicle. When I arrived at the hospital, the medical staff apologised that they would have to cut through the boots and trousers I was wearing - I almost laughed.

When I think back to that time and the many weeks of terrible pain, I know that was the time in my life when physically I had to endure a great deal. But, as I told the doctors as they cut off my clothing, I had survived what would have been a fatal accident had I not been wearing a seat belt.

• 3. At 10:58am on 25 Jun 2010, Big Sister wrote:

Rereading my (2), it sounds rather gloomy - but believe me I don't mean it in that way. I still regard it as the time I was given a second chance! :o)

• 4. At 11:24am on 25 Jun 2010, DiY wrote:

For me it was the survival excercises we had to do during military training on the Breacon Beacons.

They always seemed to choose February / March for our 'intake' and boy was it cold!

I never have moaned about being a bit chilly since!

• 5. At 12:43pm on 25 Jun 2010, Stewart_M wrote:

Big Sis, how can I beat that? I did a 70 plus mile cycle ride for charity when I were a youngster. Not quite Tour de France, it was more tour de north Northumberland. Mr Nutt I try and avoid the cold!

• 6. At 1:09pm on 25 Jun 2010, Big Sister wrote:

4 and 5 - I'd have love to have done something similar to your challenges. (Incidentally, my accident happened in January at nighttime. Fortunately, I was warmly dressed. Fortunately, it didn't happen a day later when the snow came. Fortunately, I am still here to tell the tale ;o)

• 7. At 1:46pm on 25 Jun 2010, jonnie wrote:

Obviously I can't manage to match poor Big Sister and that awful accident -

However,

I did endure 30 minutes of Count Arthur Strong once ;-)

• 8. At 2:04pm on 25 Jun 2010, Trevor Mansell wrote:

Orienteering in summer in Hong Kong back in the 70's. Took a short cut along a monsoon drain, only to find the sides were too high and steep for us to get out. Had to retrace our steps - rapidly running out of time - finish uphill for three miles. Only just made it, but managed to make it to the beer tent. Had to endure several bottles of San Mig before I felt better!!!

• 9. At 4:35pm on 25 Jun 2010, Lady_Sue wrote:

Does the quiet on this mean Big Sister has won... Hugh Sykes?

• 10. At 4:42pm on 25 Jun 2010, Big Sister wrote:

I suspect not, Lady Sue, and my story wasn't, I suppose, physical endurance in the sense that Sequin probably meant. I wish I could say I'd taken part in the Tour de France, or something equally amazing.

• 11. At 7:00pm on 25 Jun 2010, GotToTheEnd wrote:

Enduring a George Osbore budget.

• 12. At 7:38pm on 25 Jun 2010, Lady_Sue wrote:

Big Sis: I wasn't quite sure what the "physical endurance" criteria was but think your example was extraordinary - as I note other froggers do too.

Thank you for sharing and only grateful you are still here with us.

There is an old motto "Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger". I could nearly have t-shirts printed!

• 13. At 8:26pm on 25 Jun 2010, Stewart_M wrote:

Lady Sue, What ever happened to Strap lines?

• 14. At 9:07pm on 25 Jun 2010, annasee wrote:

A 14-hour labour with just 2 small doses of pethedine. Those midwives lie, you know - when they say "Just one more push" it's not true. But you want to believe them so much, that you do it anyway. Nothing has compared to that. Then they ask "Can you get up & walk to the shower?" afterwards. Ha! Get up? I couldn't even sit up, much less hold the baby...