SlideSnow '10

Eddie Mair | 16:23 UK time, Thursday, 7 January 2010

Some PM listeners' photos are included in the slideshow below.

24 hours of snow

Comments

• 1. At 1:08pm on 07 Jan 2010, Anthony Hodges wrote:

Am I alone in not hearing of any authority, public or commercial service using snow chains on their vehicles in this period of extreme weather. I have a set for my car but have not had to use them just yet although we have not had any postal or other deliveries down our lane since the snow arrived. (Gatwick/Horsham) I understand they are compulsory in European countries that have heavy snowfalls and that the drive wheels of vehicles have to be fitted with winter tyres. A friend says he can remember his company based in Ruislip, Middlesex, fitting all their vehicles with winter tyres on the drive wheels and that he had to carry a set of chains in his boot during the winter months.
    There is a preoccupation with salting our roads which is now done as a 'precautionary' measure especially in our area, very often when there is only a slight risk of ground frost, on access roads to Gatwick airport. This is done on dry roads which then become wet and if the temperature falls further black ice develops. Then when there is a heavy snowfall as happened in January last year and again this stocks of salt have become deplenished and there is only enough to 'treat' main roads albeit with little real benefit.
    How can this issue be publicised with a view to the adoption of what I see as a cost effective and effective solution to the icy roads problem especially for essential services vehicles?

• 2. At 1:35pm on 07 Jan 2010, 1Hayley wrote:

I also noticed that whenever we get some snow, everything comes to a standstill, we just can't cope with it. The councils and government need to do something about this.

Also in Germany, where some of our family live, it's compulsory to have snow tyres fitted to vehicles in Winter time where they live. When will this happen in the UK?

[Unsuitable/Broken URL removed by Moderator]

• 3. At 1:39pm on 07 Jan 2010, U14285424 wrote:

just too much snow. i hate it, can't even walk to school.

• 4. At 2:23pm on 07 Jan 2010, Anne P wrote:

I thought snow chains were not allowed here because of the damage they do on roads that have been cleared of snow - though I'm happy to be corrected if that's wrong.
    If weather like this becomes the norm, I'm sure we'll adapt our behaviour and our vehicles, it's randomness that's hard to plan for unless you have unlimited resources.

• 5. At 2:28pm on 07 Jan 2010, GiulioNapolitani wrote:

Dear Anne Robinson,

Why oh why oh why oh why must we put up with this intolerable weather? When I was younger, the winter days were long and balmy with barely a cloud in the sky but since that Lord George Brown became Prime Minister, it seems we are constantly bombarded with precipitation of one kind or another. Could we not appease the weather gods by offering up Jonathan Ross by way of a human sacrifice? Clearly the BBC has no further use for him and with the amount of fat he put on at the licence fee payers' expense, he should burn for weeks. The pensioners would probably be glad of a bit of crackling, too.

Yours etc...

• 6. At 2:39pm on 07 Jan 2010, The Intermittent Horse wrote:

Anne P - They are not illegal, but you mustn't use them on gritted or cleared roads - only on snow covered roads. And it is because of the damage they will do to your tyres as much as damage to the road. It makes their usefulness in this country pretty limited most of the time.

• 7. At 2:44pm on 07 Jan 2010, Lady_Sue wrote:

The slideshow was lovely! How brilliant that some from the Blog were used. Valery P's icicle house was one I recognised.

Horse, thanks for that. I was wondering whether or not to get any. We have compacted snow and ice here and now freezing fog. Not that I'm complaining... things could be worse. We still have whiskey.

• 8. At 2:46pm on 07 Jan 2010, The Intermittent Horse wrote:

Lady Sue - Is it from your own still?

• 9. At 2:54pm on 07 Jan 2010, ValeryP wrote:

Horse - you don't expect her to own up to that do you??

Lady Sue - wish they'd used your fabulous Glasshouse Lake, I've bookmarked that one! The Slideshow was lovely. I wish my camera had been charged this morning - I was trying to walk the dog and everything around was totally stunning. Glittering in the sunlight, brilliant blue skies, feet of powdery snow, and every tiny branch bedecked with it. I may have had to pack the decorations away, but who needs them when Christmas abounds outside :o)

PS You can tell I haven't really been inconvenienced too much, can't you! Apart from the chilblains, powercuts, dead pc, it almost seems all worthwhile.

• 10. At 3:46pm on 07 Jan 2010, Lady_Sue wrote:

Horse, just so happens, I was given a couple of bottles of 'you know what' for Christmas. I believe the convention is that you should never ask where it came from - correct?

Valery it all sounds lovely. I must put some others up 'in another place' as it has been quite magical here too (just back from filling as many available tonic water bottles as I could put my hands with water - where did they all come from?).

• 11. At 4:20pm on 07 Jan 2010, The Intermittent Horse wrote:

Lady Sue - Best not.
    Sláinte. May you be in heaven a full half hour before the devil knows you're dead.

• 12. At 4:46pm on 07 Jan 2010, Stewart_M wrote:

Snow Tyres on the drive wheels make a fantastic difference. I used to always swop the tyres in winter. I now have a car that has 4 wheel drive so its now not as much of an issue. (Though snow tyres would still improve the grip) Low profile tyres are also absolutely useless in snow. I saw a range rover sport having problems on a hill yesterday so 4 wheel drive is NOT always the answer!

• 13. At 4:48pm on 07 Jan 2010, davmcn wrote:

AH 1, I used all-weather steel belted radials on my little Toyota in Cleveland, Ohio, where we averaged six feet of snow in the winter, and never had any problems.

• 14. At 5:01pm on 07 Jan 2010, ValeryP wrote:

Lady Sue - so don't you have a fair number of empty gin/vodka bottles to fill too? ;o)Or are they full of the poteen?

• 15. At 5:15pm on 07 Jan 2010, angelicsunday wrote:

Oh, for heaven's sake - 15 minutes on Jonathan Ross leaving? Who cares?

• 16. At 5:20pm on 07 Jan 2010, A Bowman wrote:

Having just listened to the narcissistic 'creative director' Yentob on PM I hope he follows Ross down the tubes.

• 17. At 5:20pm on 07 Jan 2010, David Cornwallis wrote:

About time Mr Ross went. What a an absolute disgrace the fiasco with Russell Brand was! And his pay out of my licence fee! Outrageous. Good riddance I say.

• 18. At 5:22pm on 07 Jan 2010, Country Squire wrote:

What a frightfully arrogant man Alan Yentob came across as. Just another BBC employee on a huge salary who knows better than everyone else. I think I would sooner listen to Labour politicians saying what a terrific leader Gordon Brown is.

Best wishes

Steve Killick

Chiddingly, East Sussex

• 19. At 5:25pm on 07 Jan 2010, David Cornwallis wrote:

You have now spent nearly 20 minutes talking about Jonathan Ross inc a ridiculous conversation with Alan Yentob who has been in charge of spending 100s of 1000s of pounds of licence payers money on so called "art". Even some of the artists who were paid enormous amounts acknowledged it was a waste of money. Mr Moore is right about withholding his licence fee. I will be too.

• 20. At 5:33pm on 07 Jan 2010, Disco Dad wrote:

We need to make an example of these TV License fee dodgers. I suggest we start with Charles Moore.

• 21. At 5:35pm on 07 Jan 2010, needsanewnickname wrote:

So... does the slidesnow signal the end of Snow '10 on the Frog, or are more welcomed? I've got some stupendous icicles.

btw, Eddie, di you see my plea for different names for different Snow '10 posts? Just 'cos they all look a bit the same (under 'Topical posts', anyway)except for the number of comments - and those can change, y'know...

• 22. At 5:51pm on 07 Jan 2010, sweetenham wrote:

I totally support Alan Yentob. Who cares if there's a chap from the telegraph who doesn't like Ross? I can't stand Jeremy Clarkson, think any money spent on him or his programmes are a complete waste, but I recognise he is popular & don't throw a hissy fit and refuse to pay my licence. I thought the infamous phone call was disgusting, but as Yentob says the BBC responded to this and others as well as Ross were responsible.
    Oh- and I hope Telegraph man gets fined for not paying his TV licence for 6 months. I don't care if equivalent money goes to charity or to Guiness (he presumably can afford to do both)in other circumstances this would be called scrounging off the backs of law abiding citizens. I doubt a family on benefits would get away with this.

• 23. At 5:56pm on 07 Jan 2010, weecrusty wrote:

Departure of Jonathan Ross: good riddance. I've never been able to understand why he's been paid so much for his juvenile style of humour.

• 24. At 5:58pm on 07 Jan 2010, Martin Bedford wrote:

Mmmm, so much huffing and puffing about Jonathan Ross leaving. Am I the only one who just can't work out why he's stayed so long anyway?! I must be missing something as I think he is almost totally devoid of any real talent, and his particular brand (or is that Brand?) of 'humour' is positively puerile. I wish him well in whatever he does, wherever he goes, but I won't miss him and I cannot believe he was paid so much for so little at the BBC.

• 25. At 6:00pm on 07 Jan 2010, Big Sister wrote:

21: I've got some tremendous icicles, too, Frances, and was looking forward to submitting them for consideration. I'd even thought of turning them into 'Art' so that they fitted that category - but Eddie's even withdrawn that one.

• 26. At 6:02pm on 07 Jan 2010, needsanewnickname wrote:

Worth a try, Big Sis.

• 27. At 10:35pm on 07 Jan 2010, jonnie wrote:

Loved the Icicles Valery - well done! It was a great contribution x

• 28. At 01:09am on 08 Jan 2010, Anthony Hodges wrote:

Seems to be an awareness of tyres adapted for heavy snow conditions from previous posts. In addition to chains and snow tyres, special tyre socks can be used that neither damage rosd surfaces or the tyres/wheels although they are not so effective. Chains will break up solid ice surfaces making them safer for other road users and cause little damage to tyres and wheels if properly fitted.

• 29. At 01:46am on 08 Jan 2010, jonnie wrote:

Big Sister,

Save that Icicle one for the Summer! It will have far more appeal on a hot humid day!

and of course, as we know, Eddie has done his best to individually load up loads of photograps, and we, all of the regular Froggers have been filtered accordingly --

Facebook the others as soon as you can!

We are all waiting to see them, comment on them etc......

• 30. At 12:18pm on 08 Jan 2010, ValeryP wrote:

Ta Jonnie - they're even longer today!!