The PM Glass Box.

Eddie Mair | 16:50 UK time, Thursday, 12 November 2009

In a real glass box every evening at 18.00, the PM production team meets to discuss the programme that's just finished. You're encouraged to do so here in this virtual glass box. Tonight's editor Eloise Twisk will read the comments and may well add her own.

glassbirthday1.jpg

glassbirthday3.JPG

Comments

• 1. At 5:08pm on 12 Nov 2009, DoctorDolots wrote:

I did think at the time some weeks ago that the swine flu increase was linked to media excitement on the story; tailing off as they lost interest and got excited about hand-written letters and other nonsense.

Bit of a headache - sneeze, must be swine flu, phone for solution. Headaches are common anyway, as are sneezes from dust irritation, colds are common this time of year, and some people suffer from suggestibility.

• 2. At 5:25pm on 12 Nov 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

How funny! You wait all day for a Glass Box and then two come along at once!

• 3. At 5:25pm on 12 Nov 2009, davmcn wrote:

Nice photo. Must be one of D Mcn's. Good to see that he is well enough to get back to work.

• 4. At 5:26pm on 12 Nov 2009, Lord Nathan wrote:

From Mark Mardell's blog:

• "Y'all: cool your 24-hour news cycle jets. The President isn't one of those cowboy types who whips out his gun and shoots first; about whom all y'all in Europe spent 8 years complaining. He's a real adult with some intellectual chops who sees the long picture, as well as a Constitutional scholar who knows perfectly well how slowly our form of government works. He's not interested in sound bytes and he's not interested in adding to the deficit if he absolutely doesn't have to do it.

Dithering? NOT! Unwinding the damage of the previous administration's profligacy, violence and downright stupidity; shouldering the burdens of moving forward to solve some of the most difficult issues of our times takes some thoughtful planning and diplomacy, both intra-mural and extra-mural."

To which I add my "Seconded!"

• 5. At 5:30pm on 12 Nov 2009, davmcn wrote:

LN 4, Mardell's obviously been hitting the sauce. Unless he didn't write it. Sounds a bit furrin to me.

• 6. At 5:31pm on 12 Nov 2009, davmcn wrote:

Can't see my name on that second photo. None of that soppy Happy Birthday stuff for me.

• 7. At 5:37pm on 12 Nov 2009, Richard_SM wrote:

Re: Obama/Afghanistan. Neither of your political commentators touched on what’s really going on.

Leak: US Holbrooke bust-up with Karzai. Leak: US General asks for more troops. Leak: McChrystal’s policy document to Obama. Leak: US Ambassador cable to Obama not to send more troops.

Are there any investigations going on to identify who can’t be trusted with classified information? These leaks are to shape and shift public opinion. They wouldn’t be for the coalition; reports can be forwarded confidentially to the respective heads. The procrastination, ‘leaking’ of documents and arguments is for public consumption.

• 8. At 5:42pm on 12 Nov 2009, Big Sister wrote:

David (6) Perhaps it's your glasses? ;o) Second line of the names, first name on the left .... Unless there's another McN?

• 9. At 5:45pm on 12 Nov 2009, davmcn wrote:

BS 8, Not very clear, though. I'm suing, I didn't give persimmons to use my name.

• 10. At 5:46pm on 12 Nov 2009, davmcn wrote:

BS 8, Just got new glasses a month ago. Back to Booties.

• 11. At 5:49pm on 12 Nov 2009, Richard_SM wrote:

Dementia drugs: 1800 deaths a year.

How does that compare to horse riding?

• 12. At 5:49pm on 12 Nov 2009, davmcn wrote:

As nobody else is here, for those who are interested, the cake is leftover mashed swede with cake sprinkles on top. Yummy!

• 13. At 5:52pm on 12 Nov 2009, Sid wrote:

Horse-riding - 10-20 a year.

• 14. At 5:52pm on 12 Nov 2009, Richard_SM wrote:

#12. davmcn,

Why has that firework got a picure of Steve Martin on it?

• 15. At 5:52pm on 12 Nov 2009, steelpulse wrote:

"Dithering"! Anthomny Howard used THAT word. Good gracious.
    But I have been moaning about Public Relations too and how much of it is seemingly pored into our various Medias. I would believe it more - the PR - if they got their "facts" right. When did actor Jon Voight become "John Voight" in media articles? An article wondering if an alleged and famous family "feud" is in danger of being settled but it was immediately dismissed - by me - because the Sun newspaper might accuse our Prime Minister must have written the draft copy the story was based on. No offence Mr Brown or Sun newspaper.
    I hope they make it up if they are at odds. I really do hate family feuds but I will happily take up the slack were father and daughter to make it up. By starting a feud of my own I mean. lol

• 16. At 5:56pm on 12 Nov 2009, newlach wrote:

The self-publicists with the balloon should be put behind bars for a long time.

• 17. At 5:58pm on 12 Nov 2009, steelpulse wrote:

John? Anthomny? I should talk. There really is a first name Anthomny but apologise Mr Howard, sir.

• 18. At 5:59pm on 12 Nov 2009, davmcn wrote:

R_SM 14, It is a plastic cork, one of many I use, and the picture is Eddie (see photo at top of page). I use it all the time. My printer is a bit wonky, hence the funny color.

• 19. At 6:01pm on 12 Nov 2009, pithywriter wrote:

1 Put the Gordon Brown letter through that machine/computer and give us the results please.

2 1800 knowingly unnecessary deaths per year and the government will 'allow' three years for the NHS to adjust to allow for "entrenched attutudes" to catch up - that's around 5400 unnecessary deaths! Isn't this corporate manslaughter? Where does the buck stop? At the Health Minister's door? at Gordon Brown's? Gobsmacking, words fail!
    What happens in France Germany etc re this situation. please tell us.
    And this time last year I have a cutting saying the NHS was told that hospital directors will face jail under new manslaughter laws re superbugs in hospitals. Please find out what is the situation re (preventable) super bugs etc today - why not an update on those figures please?

3 Obama's dilemma,,, perhaps he should have a referendum and act accordingly.

• 20. At 6:06pm on 12 Nov 2009, steelpulse wrote:

I just spotted it - Birthday Greetings. Really? He STILL admits to them? Wow! Thanks to whoever - for adding my nom de plume - I didn't reallly know that Edward had reached another landmark. But cheers and have a good one Eddie.

• 21. At 6:09pm on 12 Nov 2009, normanmugabe wrote:

Doctordolots 1 Glad you didn't give up.

I turned over at six and listened to the news on 3. Somebody from Country Life is having trouble with his bullocks. Sounds like a sentence for Mr. Mair.

• 22. At 6:12pm on 12 Nov 2009, Looternite wrote:

Happy Birthday young man.

• 23. At 6:17pm on 12 Nov 2009, Richard_SM wrote:

#18. davmcn,

"It is a plastic cork, one of many I use, and the picture is Eddie (see photo at top of page). I use it all the time. "

Please don't tell me what for!

• 24. At 6:44pm on 12 Nov 2009, concerned_uk_citizen wrote:

Sorry for being so late. - Happy Birthday Eddie - it must be nice having a birthday at this time of year, just as the shops start clearing the Christmas stock to put the Easter Eggs on the shelves!

• 25. At 6:56pm on 12 Nov 2009, SproutGhost wrote:

davmcn (6) I can see ‘you’ in the photo!.
    Get new specs, or get your phone bill paying SO to point you out!

BTW @ 9, are you using a The Sun spell checker? persimmons ??? Unless of course you really are a very sweet orange tropical fruit?

• 26. At 7:07pm on 12 Nov 2009, Fearless Fred wrote:

Good choice with the Baa Baas shirt today, Eddie :-) http://img263.yfrog.com/i/hdo.jpg/ (courtesy of Rory Cellan-Jones.....)

• 27. At 7:22pm on 12 Nov 2009, Gillianian wrote:

Well done, Dave ;o)

• 28. At 00:29am on 13 Nov 2009, jonnie wrote:

Echoing Gillianian's sentiments - Hee hee hee hee

• 29. At 01:24am on 13 Nov 2009, dennisjunior1 wrote:

Eddie and Eloise:

Thanks for the excellent pictures and, great day!

=Dennis Junior=

• 30. At 10:03am on 13 Nov 2009, davmcn wrote:

SG 25, I spelled it that way on porpoise.

• 31. At 10:04am on 13 Nov 2009, davmcn wrote:

R_SM 23, Put a cork in it.

• 32. At 7:54pm on 13 Nov 2009, Sarah Gall wrote:

Four years ago I suffered severely with arthritis in my spine. As I seemed to have a bad reaction to all my doctor's medication I was told to 'come off 'all that had been prescribed. I was left in total agony and unable to walk with a specialist's appointment six weeks hence.
    My daughter sent me a book about treating arthritis a drug-free way and I immediately started to follow its suggestions. Within one week I was up and about and three months later I was completely free of pain. I didn't need that specialist's appointment!
    I decided to write a booklet about my experience in order to help others who find themselves in the same predicament .

• 33. At 9:15pm on 13 Nov 2009, Sarah Gall wrote:

I was intrigued to discover how I might have recovered from the arthritis. One theory is that arthritis (uric acid crystals) forms as a result of our body’s pH value falling when our modern day diet causes acid levels to build up. Surprisingly, cider vinegar and apples although acidic in nature, when digested seem to be particularly effective in helping to bring the pH levels up to a more neutral reading and if you also avoid certain acidic drinks and foods, then eventually the uric acid crystals could cease to exist.
    As it happens I seem to have remained in remarkably good health since first following this approach to arthritis .I rarely seem to catch any cold/cough infections going around so it does make me wonder whether the ‘more neutral pH’ is helping to keep the body ‘at ease with itself’ rather than becoming at dis-ease ? I suppose there’s always the wonderful possibility that this could also keep cancer at bay as well, so perhaps it might be beneficial for this approach to health to be given more extensive research?

• 34. At 10:25pm on 13 Nov 2009, lucien desgai wrote:

33 Sarah Gall
    In the mean time I'm sure that you'd advise people with any of the afflictions you mention to go to the doctor and receive treatments which have already been extensively researched.

• 35. At 10:27pm on 13 Nov 2009, Sarah Gall wrote:

A possible reason why cider vinegar helps to get rid of arthritis.
    There may be a synergism between malic and acetic acid in cider vinegar.
    Le Chatalier's principle may come into things? If an acid is added to a body the body reacts by producing an alkaline to try and bring the body back to it's normal state.This alkaline raises the pH of the body and the uric acid crystals cease to exist in this environment.
    Sarah Gall

• 36. At 00:28am on 14 Nov 2009, Big Sister wrote:

Sarah Gall: A word of advice - whatever you do, don't try to promote your book onthe website as it will be referred. No advertising allowed.

• 37. At 4:50pm on 14 Nov 2009, davmcn wrote:

BS 36, Yeah, the gall of some people. Did I ever say that I have some drawings of skeletons in a book about St Albans. Available at all good booksellers.