Changing your identity

George South | 05:55 UK time, Monday, 2 November 2009

FBI_Fingerprint_experts.jpg

A quick note on a behind-the-scenes change that will affect commenters today. The BBC is implementing a new sign-in system across all its blogs and message boards, called BBC iD. Anyone wishing to comment from now on will be prompted to upgrade their accounts -- this is a one-time-only process and it's relatively painless.

One note of caution though: if you've got multiple BBC accounts, you'll only be able to upgrade one of them to BBC iD using your preferred username and email address.

Should you be burning with questions about this, you can get more information and help over at the BBC Internet Blog.

PM Blog Czar Out.

UPDATE: Okay, not quite painless then... Apologies to all the people who've had difficulties signing in or posting since the upgrade went live. There's clearly a bug in the new system.The Blogs team tell me they're working on fixing it as a matter of priority, so bear with us.

If you're specifically affected by the "Confirm Registration" link not working, a workaround (discovered by The_Wrath_is_Come) is to right-click on the link and open it in a new tab/window. The Blogs team are looking into the other issues people are having, and I'll report back here when I hear from them.

MORE UPDATE: Blogs team 'expect the situation to have been resolved within the next hour.' (as of 3pm)

Comments

• 1. At 06:18am on 02 Nov 2009, eddiemair wrote:

Is George your real name?

• 2. At 06:38am on 02 Nov 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

This is a bit scary - though admittedly, not as scary as that hairstyle.

• 3. At 06:40am on 02 Nov 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Nothing happened!

Does this mean I've seamlessly changed my identity, lost it or have I broken George's new toy?

• 4. At 07:26am on 02 Nov 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Curiouser and curiouser! Think I sneaked under the RADAR there.

Something that confused me in registering my "new" "old" identity - you asked for a name that would appear next to my Username all over the blog, yet this seems a bit contradictory to cautions about privacy. I didn't put anything in that box and it wasn't queried but a visual example of what would have happened, or an explanation for others who will be changing their identities today, might be helpful.

• 5. At 08:28am on 02 Nov 2009, Stephen - Leader of STROP wrote:

I feel like a new man

• 6. At 08:29am on 02 Nov 2009, gossipmistress wrote:

Looks more like Georgina to me!

Well I'm upgraded - can you tell?

• 7. At 08:34am on 02 Nov 2009, annasee wrote:

Can I get a handful of new passports now?
    That was a bit stressful - I'm always confused about the difference between usernames, member names, nicknames etc, not to mention forgetting which ones I've used where...

• 8. At 08:56am on 02 Nov 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Gosh - There's something very fishy going on - check the Beach entries@145, repeat, 145! (and 146, obviously). When I popped back over here to let you know I got locked out and your blue button didn't work until I refreshed the page twice.

Get a wriggle on sorting it chaps! There's going to be a rush of identity changers and the backlog will make the Post Office build up seem miniscule. Think of grief you'll get from your regular bloggers if you don't 'snap to'.

Over.

• 9. At 09:26am on 02 Nov 2009, Fearless Fred wrote:

Sheesh, that was a bit of a palaver! Still, I'm here now....

• 10. At 09:30am on 02 Nov 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

I've just had a message from AnneP and Sid, via another medium, that they are both blocked out by the new sign-in procedure.

Would someone on "the other side" please offer assistance to them? Many thanks.

• 11. At 09:33am on 02 Nov 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Further to mine at 10: The Stainless Steel Cat is also having problems. These are all experienced bloggers who are (in particular TSSCat) very technical. Suspect the problem, therefore, is your end.

• 12. At 09:36am on 02 Nov 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

If this is of any help, AnneP says:

"I'm just stuck in a loop that tells me I'm signed in (under my recreated new id) and then asks me to click to complete and takes me back to the start!"

• 13. At 09:38am on 02 Nov 2009, Gillianian wrote:

Sorted!
    Lady Sue, I noticed that the ''name'' bit (other than the username) is optional, so I missed that bit out too.
    I do hope the folk who are having difficulties get some help soon.

• 14. At 09:42am on 02 Nov 2009, jonnie wrote:

• 15. At 09:45am on 02 Nov 2009, Fearless Fred wrote:

What was weird was that when I tried to recover my old password, it kept giving me an error (this because I have the PC set to remember my ID rather than entering it in every time). Then I remembered that the browser I use allows you to easily see user names and passwords for any pages I visit, so I was able to pass through to the second stage. Then, I had to get the "confirmation" email sent a couple of times before it came through. I think the system may be a little overloaded with everyone suddenly trying to "upgrade"....

• 16. At 10:51am on 02 Nov 2009, Fearless Fred wrote:

Okay, I just posted some feedback here from Big Sis and PrestonFirmlie, who are both having problems logging on, and it's disappeared! This is what they said:

Big Sis What a pity that we weren't given any warning of this before it happened - and what a pity that the system is so flawed. I've wasted forty five minutes trying to to log in today, have emailed the address for help (no reply yet) and am getting very very fed up now. Please could somebody (George South, perhaps?) find out what the heck is going on as I know I'm not the only person who is finding themselves the victim of the update? Bizarrely, I am recognised in other places on the BBC, complete with my usual blog name, but when I enter the details here I am told that my username (not my blog name) is 'not allowed'. Progress? - I don't think so.

Preston Total carp. It doesn't even recognise my email address!
    If there is anybody that IS able to write to the blog could they could they please pass on my congratulations to the Blog Tsar for this novel approach to dealing with the moderation difficulties we were having!

George, can you investigate, please?

• 17. At 11:07am on 02 Nov 2009, lucien desgai wrote:

BigSis
    Now you are truly the Queen of the Blog...
    ... others can say what they like, but you can't answer back!

• 18. At 11:31am on 02 Nov 2009, ValeryP wrote:

Aha - now is this the problem that others are having? Thanks to lucien, I rightclicked on the bit under comments that said "you have not completed the registration process yet" (although I HAD!!), and then selected Open, and it took me to a page with terms and conditions, which I then had to click to Accept (none of the original process had taken me to that page nor showed me these nor asked me to read and Accept them), when I did that I got straight back onto this page and was signed in properly and able to comment.

However, I am appalled at the singular lack of stress-testing of this procedure - did you not try to idiot-proof it in anyway? You always have to allow for the fact that most people don't know diddly squat about techy stuff, and will NOT intuitively know if part of a loop of the process has been bypassed inadvertently. Improvements?? I don't think so..

Yours grumpily, Val

• 19. At 11:40am on 02 Nov 2009, lucien desgai wrote:

1 EM
    Maybe his first is his last and his last is his first and he lives among the penguins.

• 20. At 11:41am on 02 Nov 2009, Fearless Fred wrote:

The blog also seems to be acting up. I've just tried to post something here. It went through the "scanning coloured blocks" phase of doing something, only for the comment to disappear, and I get to the "You have to wait another X seconds before posting again" text. George, can you get on the case please?

BTW, this is what I posted before: "I have to say, this does seem to have been rushed into place, with little or no warning. I remember the last time we were told that the membership was being changed (when it went to Moveable Type, if I recall correctly?), we were warned well in advance, people were told what they would need to do to activate their account, and things went smoothly. I had no idea until this morning that things were changing, and like others, it took a lot longer than previous times to get logged in. Sorry, George, but relatively painless doesn't describe it...

• 21. At 11:42am on 02 Nov 2009, Anne P wrote:

Well! Thanks to Val and Lucien I appear to be logged in, but have lost my original identity in the process. Since I have had it since Day One I'm not happy. Moreover I presume I will now be in pre-mod for goodness knows how long.

I used to be Anne P.

• 22. At 11:45am on 02 Nov 2009, ValeryP wrote:

I hasten to add, on re-reading my post, that I do naturally include myself amongst those who know diddly squat, I did not mean to imply that I knew better than anyone - quite the opposite! I just hope that my experience may help to let others back in via that mousehole.

• 23. At 11:46am on 02 Nov 2009, Anne P wrote:

Val - I thought it had, until half my comments seem to have disappeared.

• 24. At 11:49am on 02 Nov 2009, jonnie wrote:

BigSister is also having problems and on her behalf and at her request I've copied the following from her:-

"What a pity that we weren't given any warning of this before it happened - and what a pity that the system is so flawed. I've wasted forty five minutes trying to to log in today, have emailed the address for help (no reply yet) and am getting very very fed up now. Please could somebody (George South, perhaps?) find out what the heck is going on as I know I'm not the only person who is finding themselves the victim of the update? Bizarrely, I am recognised in other places on the BBC, complete with my usual blog name, but when I enter the details here I am told that my username (not my blog name) is 'not allowed'. Progress? - I don't think so."

Cheers!
    --------------------

• 25. At 11:52am on 02 Nov 2009, Anne P wrote:

So it appears that not only are comments disappearing, but some are being duplicated - refresh gives me two copies of jonnie numbered 24 and my latest has disappeared again.

• 26. At 11:53am on 02 Nov 2009, jonnie wrote:

Apologies - Just seen that Fearless Fred has already posted the text from BigSister.

• 27. At 12:01pm on 02 Nov 2009, Anne P wrote:

OK so it seems as if the comment doesn't exactly disappear, but the blog duplicates the most recent comment before allowing the newly posted one in - refresh removes the duplication.

• 28. At 12:08pm on 02 Nov 2009, gsouth wrote:

Yikes. I've alerted the BBC iD team to the problems people are having, so they'll be taking a look soon. Hopefully the kinks will straighten out during the day.

In the meantime, for the specific issue where the 'complete registration' link just reloads the page, Lucien/Val's advice @18 worked for me (I had the same problem... thanks L/V!) For more general issues, there's an FAQ by the BBC iD team here:

• 29. At 12:10pm on 02 Nov 2009, Martin Bellamy wrote:

Easier to re-register then try and get the thing to work. I was Walmsleys, I'm now WCIB.

• 30. At 12:11pm on 02 Nov 2009, Anne P wrote:

Thanks George - their standard email says they will look at it within two days !

• 31. At 12:17pm on 02 Nov 2009, lucien desgai wrote:

Just to direct the credit in the right direction ...
    The right click on the link tip came from The_Wrath_is_Come. :o)

• 32. At 12:18pm on 02 Nov 2009, UptheTrossachs wrote:

Aha! Thanks ValP - right-click worked for me. It was a bit of a faff though......

• 33. At 12:23pm on 02 Nov 2009, U14138029 wrote:

What a complete shambles!

1. PM Blog doesn't recognise my email address. Therefore I can't log in AND I can't get them to send me an email to confirm any password.
    2. H2G2 does recognise me. And lets me change my password.
    3. Back to the PM blog which accepts all my details and then sends me into a loop of 'confirming my registration'
    4. After 3 attempts at cutting and pasting the url I eventually get through.

Goodness knows how many contributors have been lost through this fiasco.

• 34. At 12:47pm on 02 Nov 2009, Fearless Fred wrote:

Hmmmm, I've noticed that the system will log you out after a while, meaning you need to log in again, and that takes you to the page for your account settings. If that happens to you, don't worry. Just scroll down to the bottom of the account settings page and click on the link that says "Back". This'll bring you back to the thread you were on, but in a "logged on" state...

• 35. At 12:48pm on 02 Nov 2009, U14138029 wrote:

It gets better and better!
    On trying to comment on the 'Would you, could you?' thread, I am asked to re-enter my password with the meassage "You are trying to access sensitive data and we just want to check that it is you" (probably not verbatim). So I re-enter my password and am promptly blocked from posting!

• 36. At 12:51pm on 02 Nov 2009, U14138029 wrote:

I really wish they would stop improving this blog.

And no, despite what the last message just screened to me said, I DID NOT just say this in message 35!

• 37. At 12:54pm on 02 Nov 2009, U14138029 wrote:

How come I am 'signed in' on this thread, but if I click to go to the next thread I am asked to sign in and yet if I click back to this thread I am shown as being signed in?
    Don't tell me we have to sign in for every thread!

• 38. At 12:57pm on 02 Nov 2009, Fearless Fred wrote:

Preston (37) I just noticed the same thing happen to me!

• 39. At 12:58pm on 02 Nov 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

I see others have had the 'vanishing posts' problem too. I wonder if this appears just on the computer in use, or if it is momentarily blog-wide. The blip on the beach @145 corrected itself and now I see my 'missing' comment has reappeared. Has Derren Brown started working at the Beeb?

Czar South@28: you dragged your heels a bit old chap! I was posting that you had problems before 9am. I'm with Preston in concerns over how many contributors may be 'lost in space'.

Noting the poster@29: I'm presuming Martin is his 'real' name and that he had been 'Walmsleys' and thought he was reincarnating as 'WCIB'? If I'm right, there might be a problem sorting that one out.

(minutes later)

None of my posts are appearing! Above is the one I thought to copy before hitting 'post comment' but Fred and Preston seemed to have elbowed me out of the way altogether.

Preston, I liked the bit in the email that said, "If you never registered for a BBC iD then somebody else may have typed in your email address by accident. If this has happened then don't worry, you can ignore this email."

Well that opens up a can of worms, doesn't it? Somebody registering using MY email address. Doesn't bear thinking about.

Big Sis: if you are out there and can read this, DO hang out to keep your Big Sis name. AnneP/Anne-reborn and I are rooting for you (but not in the Oz sense of the word, obviously).

My posts just keep disappearing! This is the third time for this one.

• 40. At 1:01pm on 02 Nov 2009, Scotch Get wrote:

George,

Geeza brek! I've come through two red lights and one No Entry sign and come round a roundabout the wrong way round. Am I there yet?

• 41. At 1:13pm on 02 Nov 2009, Sid wrote:

Sorry - I'm new to all this ... do I have to sign in for each different thread separately*? If so, I'll resign again ...

*I ask as this is what I have to do at the moment>

• 42. At 1:18pm on 02 Nov 2009, Fearless Fred wrote:

Frankly (41) I think it's a bug in the BBC new system. Please don't disappear...

• 43. At 1:39pm on 02 Nov 2009, pithywriter wrote:

Anyone know what they are doing in the photo here?????

• 44. At 1:45pm on 02 Nov 2009, lucien desgai wrote:

43 PW
    They're giving up on new technology.

• 45. At 1:51pm on 02 Nov 2009, Anne P wrote:

Frankly (41) if that's the way it's going to work in future I shall emulate Clark Gable. But I'm rather inclined to agree with Fearless.

• 46. At 2:04pm on 02 Nov 2009, annasee wrote:

Ok, I knew it was too good to be true. My last post just vanished...

• 47. At 2:06pm on 02 Nov 2009, Anne P wrote:

...and the comments box keeps disappearing only to be retrieved by going to 'sign in' ignoring that screen and clicking on 'back'......

• 48. At 2:06pm on 02 Nov 2009, annasee wrote:

That's bizarre! Previous post vanished, but number 46 went up instantly. How? And while my previous post was vanishing, I could see 2 copies of number 45 from Anne. Very Alice -in-Wonderland.

• 49. At 2:07pm on 02 Nov 2009, U14138029 wrote:

Hello Frankly (41) I'm new to all this!
    There appears to be no rhyme nor reason to the 'signing in' and threads. Some yes, some no in my case. What other sid effects have you noticed?

Lady Sue tells me by another medium that she is posting to this thread but everything is disappearing. Is anybody else suffering this?

• 50. At 2:10pm on 02 Nov 2009, ValeryP wrote:

Lady Sue - Yes, I'm sure the poor guy at 29 above didn't want to appear with his own name, I found that bit of the form particularly confusing.
    And I also blanched at the message in the email re not worrying if someone else had been trying to masquerade as you - eeek!

On the plus side, I've just moved from the Beach to this thread and am still signed in. I'll try a few other moves after posting this.

• 51. At 2:11pm on 02 Nov 2009, lucien desgai wrote:

49 PF
    Sid effects?

• 52. At 2:13pm on 02 Nov 2009, U14138029 wrote:

Lucien - Apologies. That should of course have read 'sad effects'.

• 53. At 2:16pm on 02 Nov 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

ValP and others: I've just referred No.29 to get the details off the thread in case he does want to adjust them, as suggested by another wise blogger via a different medium. I've explained in my "complaint". Apologies if I'm wrong.

My posts just keep vanishing into the ether. It's rather annoying. I've taken to copying and pasting them on a word document before sending them.

Previously:

So many regular bloggers having such a lot of problems - missing posts, not able to sign on or having to sign on under a new name which is going to confuse everyone for a while.

Czar and Co.: are you on the case there? A bit of feedback as to what is happening would be good.

• 54. At 2:22pm on 02 Nov 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

My referred post was put back because they found it didn't contravene the House Rules.

Hello? Anybody there?

• 55. At 2:31pm on 02 Nov 2009, annasee wrote:

I think I understand! Are we all on drugs? Or just the people who thought up today's activities...

• 56. At 2:33pm on 02 Nov 2009, DoctorDolots wrote:

I think the czar has been assasinated by the bolshies. He/she is certainly awol.
    I won't bore with my saga except to say I wasted half an hour going round the houses, was told I was signed in but had to confirm my membership, only to get it again and again, and still not logged in. Left it for an hour and suddenly backlog flushed out. But it does suggest someone is boxing above their weight here since this doesn't happen anywhere else in my experience. From what others have posted, this will probably vanish into nothing, in which case the BBC can go it alone without my valuable contributions, there's only so much one can take.

• 57. At 2:52pm on 02 Nov 2009, Stewart_M wrote:

At last! This is just another PC hassle I have had today!!!

• 58. At 2:56pm on 02 Nov 2009, Stewart_M wrote:

Mmmm Don't know if its the same with "other" browsers but I have to log into EVERY blog thread I want to comment on. I use firefox. 3.0.15 (this moment with XP)

• 59. At 2:59pm on 02 Nov 2009, Fearless Fred wrote:

Okay, this is getting beyond a joke. There are serious issues with the blog since this change came in (almost completely unannouced) this morning:

a) Users should not have to sign in every time they go from one thread to another.
    b) Comments should not be lost 50% of the time users press the Post Comment Button
    c) The re-registration system is seriously flawed, causing people to be stuck in loops
    d) If users do find themselves logged off when they move threads, they should not be sent to a page where the only way of getting logged on involves pressing a link pointing them "Back". Clicking on Update just keeps you in a loop.

Honestly, George, please let the Powers That Be know how badly this has been handled. I'm probably not the only person to have only found out about the changes this morning. This should have been pre-announced so people could've been more prepared for this, and the system should've gone through a lot more testing before going live...

• 60. At 3:07pm on 02 Nov 2009, Lord Nathan wrote:

• " Got here in the end but I had to restart Internet Explorer twice during the upgrade procedure,"

• Shouldn't have started that rubbish even once!

• 61. At 3:07pm on 02 Nov 2009, Anne P wrote:

Fearless - hear, hear! I did try to post thanks to George for his update but it disappeared several times and I gave up only to find the comments box had disappeared also (again).

• 62. At 3:09pm on 02 Nov 2009, U14138029 wrote:

As the recently elected Chairman of the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Blogs, I must tell you that the advice of the council would be to downgrade the PMBlog from Class 'B' to Class 'C'.

I hope that the Home Tsar will accept this reccommendation based as it is on the work of some very distinguished Blog scientists who have taken on a lot of unpaid research and analysis.

• 63. At 3:31pm on 02 Nov 2009, Lord Nathan wrote:

Dare I say it? Absolutely TYPICAL! Bring back Douglas Adams.

• 64. At 3:32pm on 02 Nov 2009, Radnor-rambler wrote:

Hooray -it now works! Easy-Peasy. Thanks, Bloggy team.

• 65. At 3:45pm on 02 Nov 2009, ValeryP wrote:

Lady Sue (54) that's just typical. If "they" contravene the rules themselves by divulging too much of our info due to an ill-thought-out registration system, then it's allowed?

I'm with FF, surely this should all have been tested, re-tested and flagged up with plenty of warning? Do other blogs have these problems?

• 66. At 3:49pm on 02 Nov 2009, patmartin wrote:

Worked first time in seconds.

• 67. At 3:53pm on 02 Nov 2009, Fearless Fred wrote:

ValP (65) According to the BBC Internet Blog (linked in George's original post) It had been tested and running for a year or so on some of the other blogs, and it's just this blog and one other that's experienced problems today. They believe they've got most of it sorted now....

• 68. At 4:02pm on 02 Nov 2009, U14138029 wrote:

And everything is working perfectly now... Hmm, we'll see.

• 69. At 4:06pm on 02 Nov 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

I've had a message from Frances O via a different medium (I'm getting to rather like that phrase) who says:

"I've given up on trying to sign in on the Beach after 45 mins. 45 MINUTES!!!!!! I have got something of a life....."

After following some suggestions a subsequent message from her says:

"I have read all the tips but after trying just about everything I've decided to give up FOR NOW.

As Arnie said, I'll be back."

Any help you chaps "on the other side" can give? How about a message with a step by step of what bloggers who are experiencing problems might try?

• 70. At 4:07pm on 02 Nov 2009, U14138029 wrote:

pithywriter (43) - I can tell you without fear of contraception that those ladies are engaged by the FBI and are working on fingerprint records.
    Anything else you need to know?

• 71. At 4:31pm on 02 Nov 2009, Anne P wrote:

Have tried changing my nom de frog back to something approaching the old one - not clear it's worked though.

• 72. At 4:33pm on 02 Nov 2009, Anne P wrote:

So if I go to settings I can see that my name is now Anne-P. but as soon as I post something it reverts to Anne-reborn. How does that work?

• 73. At 4:42pm on 02 Nov 2009, Redheylin wrote:

Just checking.....

• 74. At 5:37pm on 02 Nov 2009, The Stainless Steel Cat wrote:

I'm in. I'm me. Now what?

• 75. At 5:54pm on 02 Nov 2009, ValeryP wrote:

Now aren't you lucky you missed all today's excitement then, SSC? Lots of us stamping our feet and tossing our hair about.

• 76. At 6:01pm on 02 Nov 2009, Gillianian wrote:

I missed a trick.....I've been thinking of changing my name, but when I had the chance....... ;o(

Well Sequin got the message - if you want to comment on tonight's programme, send us an e-mail!!!!

• 77. At 6:02pm on 02 Nov 2009, The Stainless Steel Cat wrote:

ValP (75):

No, lots of stamping (don't really have enough hair to toss) here, well there: the firewall at work didn't like the confirmation e-mail from the Beeb and I couldn't get it until I got home.

Less of a mess than many people have had to deal with though...

• 78. At 6:05pm on 02 Nov 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Preston, you do make me laugh! Thank God you got in through all the hoops and are back with us. Frances O is still having probs. TSSCat and others... I have a cunning plan.

As the Blog Czar/Tsar (where is a Cossackgirl when you need one?) and his cronies in the Jerry sheds have caused us all such problems today, I propose an exchange:

In return for us all not getting reallyreally cross, stamping our collective feet and boycotting the PM blog altogether (I realise this is an idle threat but run with it a moment) ...

a) reinstate 'Recent Comments';
    b) change the silly "you" in the comment line back to our respective proper usernames.

All in favour please indicate accordingly.

• 79. At 6:07pm on 02 Nov 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Gillianian@76: I noticed that too. She doesn't miss a trick, does she? Clever girl that one.

• 80. At 6:12pm on 02 Nov 2009, U14138029 wrote:

Sue (78) - Yep, I'm voting for that and I will try to arrange for stuffing of the ballot boxes a la Afghanistan elections. I couldn't be bothered with this 'vote early, vote often' nonsense... it's so yesterday!

• 81. At 6:20pm on 02 Nov 2009, SproutGhost wrote:

re We, the undersigned, will forgive all the irritation, hassle and almost unforgivable grief the Czar/Tsar and the the BBC iD Team have given us today, provided that, once they have fixed the problem(s) they will

a) reinstate 'Recent Comments';

All in favour please indicate accordingly.

I vote in favour of the motion. By modem!

• 82. At 6:23pm on 02 Nov 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Preston: stroke of genius, as ever. Stuffing ballot boxes! Stuffing new identity I say. Sprouty - glad you made it through enemy lines, old chap. Spiffing.

• 83. At 6:30pm on 02 Nov 2009, Anne P wrote:

Sue (78) One more vote in favour (though I'm not quite sure who I am - will my vote pass the personation test I wonder).

• 84. At 6:34pm on 02 Nov 2009, Sid wrote:

Crikey! I didn't know I was joining a democracy!

• 85. At 6:40pm on 02 Nov 2009, Anne P wrote:

I also wonder just how long I have to stay in premod - I'm sure I'm past the 20 someone mentioned.

• 86. At 6:47pm on 02 Nov 2009, Stewart_M wrote:

Not long we hope reborn one. Looks like this us playing now. Poor fifi is going to get a shock when she gets back.

• 87. At 6:51pm on 02 Nov 2009, Simon Cross wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for bearing with us today. We can understand your frustrations about how commenting on this blog has been affected earlier. Things should be working well now.

We rolled out the new sign-in system to over 200 blogs today, and only a couple of them had serious issues, sadly this being one of those.

To give some background, we announced this change on Thursday over on the Internet Blog (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2009/10/welcome_to_bbc_id.html) and we'd been running it successfully on six other blogs since before then. Many of the blog then ran pre-announcements about the change from Thursday in the run up to this morning's rollout (see an example here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/walesnortheast/2009/10/welcome_to_bbc_id.html)

The actual BBC iD service has been running for nearly a year and already powers several messageboards, commenting on other parts of BBC Online and new services like Strictly Social (http://www.bbc.co.uk/strictlycomedancing/play/).

Forgive the detail, but to make comments-on-blogs work, around 8 separate systems have to talk to each other. In this particular blog's case, when the commenting system was switched over to use BBC iD instead of our old sign in system, it threw a bit of a wobbly.

The guys who look after the commenting system worked really hard to fix it as soon as we noticed you guys having issues, and we hope that despite the earlier confusion you're no longer:

a) being logged out every time you move between posts
    b) getting lost in loops during registration/signin/upgrading
    c) have been able to upgrade your old accounts

Again, sorry for the disruption today. Please let us know if you have any more issues and we'll look into them as soon as we can.

Thanks,

Si.

• 88. At 7:10pm on 02 Nov 2009, U14138029 wrote:

Anne (83) - I checked my pre-modding and it took 21 posts.

• 89. At 7:23pm on 02 Nov 2009, Redheylin wrote:

What's that? It wobbled when you tried to roll it? I don't understand computers.

• 90. At 7:46pm on 02 Nov 2009, lucien desgai wrote:

Well Lady Sue ... you being really really cross seemed to magic the BBC blog genie out of his bottle.
    But what I want to know is ... is Anna Reborn the blog's new agony aunt?

• 91. At 7:50pm on 02 Nov 2009, needsanewnickname wrote:

We, the undersigned*, will forgive all the irritation, hassle and almost unforgivable grief the Czar/Tsar and the the BBC iD Team have given us today, provided that, once they have fixed the problem(s) they will

a) reinstate 'Recent Comments';

signed, me. Or is it 'you'?

* See sign in name, above.

• 92. At 7:53pm on 02 Nov 2009, needsanewnickname wrote:

Hi, Si,

1. I'm sure you don't really think that we should all have expected this unannounced mess by accidentally and fortuitously logging onto the Internet Blog (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2009/10/welcome_to_bbc_id.html) on Thursday. Now do you?

2. I am not a guy.

3. I am particularly not a guy in the period before Guy Fawkes' Night / Bonfire Night / Fireworks Night. This is known as self-preservation.

• 93. At 8:01pm on 02 Nov 2009, Anne P wrote:

Preston, I slightly lost count owing to so many postings going astray, but I'm pretty sure I'm over 21 !

• 94. At 8:01pm on 02 Nov 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

I know I need to pay attention but Jeremy needs me on Uni Challenge. He just can't do it without my being there keeping score. Tootle Pip, more later.

• 95. At 8:27pm on 02 Nov 2009, Anne P wrote:

Ah, I'd forgotten about Uni challenge - bit late now. Didn't like Paxo when he took over, but I think he's got the tone better now.

• 96. At 8:29pm on 02 Nov 2009, Anne P wrote:

If I'm not out of pre-mod by tomorrow I shall...what? nothing I suppose - lone female against the machine, no contest.

• 97. At 8:49pm on 02 Nov 2009, Cossackgirl wrote:

78.LADY SUE: where is a Cossackgirl when you need one, etc...

Being completely non-technical, I took one look and then hid behind the sofa for a while, leaving better and braver souls to blaze the trail!
    On return, just minutes ago, I must admit to having been subjected to a fairly idiot-proof procedure, unless something goes pear-shaped when I try to post this or I am forced to sign in again when moving threads.
    A word to the wise: I absolutely did not give my real name and it was absolutely not necessary (it's marked optional after all).

It's TSAR, TSARINA or TSARITZA, TSAREVITCH, TSAREVNA - this is out of a Russian-English dictionary published in Russia. So far, so good. THEN they repeat all those forms in an English-Russian Dictionary also published in Russia, but put in right at the end "tzar = tsar". The first spelling is clearly more acceptable to the natives. In Britain I encounter "z" most of the time.

What I say is BRING BACK RECENT COMMENTS!!! Haven't we suffered enough?!!

• 98. At 8:52pm on 02 Nov 2009, Simon Cross wrote:

Hi @Anne-reborn, @Frances O, others,

Apologies for calling you 'guys' - its just my customary, potentially, over-informall-ness - hope I didn't offend ;-)

@Anne-reborn did you upgrade your old account into a BBC iD? If so, you shouldn't be back in pre-mod status. If you just registered for a clean, new BBC iD then yes, you appear to the commenting system like a new user so you'll be in the normal probationary pre-mod period for a while.

@Frances O - I run the BBC iD team, but today's move to use BBC iD only affects the way you sign in to the BBC, not how the comments themselves actually run. BBC iD isn't directly connected to Comments and how they work - it's just about how you authenticate. So, sorry, I can't say what should happen about the 'recent comments' and the 'you'...

Si,
    Product Manager, BBC iD

• 99. At 9:07pm on 02 Nov 2009, Gillianian wrote:

Si (87) What are these ''other blogs'' of which you speak?
    As far as I'm concerned, there is only one - and I'm on it!! ;o)

• 100. At 10:25pm on 02 Nov 2009, ValeryP wrote:

Gillianian, precisely! And Frances O - quite! How on earth, if one does not constantly trawl the bbc site, is one supposed to know what was going to happen/is already happening on other blogs elsewhere?

@ Simon Cross - As I said already in one of my stroppy posts on this and other threads today, and I paraphrase, you guys will never go wrong underestimating the lack of techy knowledge most blog users will have. You cannot presume that we will be constantly on the lookout for changes nor will we welcome them, in the main! So, when they do have to happen for whatever good reason, then forewarned is most definitely forearmed, and then the more explicitly you guide us through it the better for all :o)

• 101. At 10:52pm on 02 Nov 2009, Stewart_M wrote:

Val, I think we do have to thank Simon and his team for sorting out the probs. But yep I dont trawl other blogs. Life has to be lived and this and the book of faces is plenty for me.

Just as well this was done when eric and fif are away!!

• 102. At 11:07pm on 02 Nov 2009, needsanewnickname wrote:

I think that Mair bloke planned to be away when this happened. Leaving poor Sequin to clean up.

;o)

if you hadn't guessed

• 103. At 11:08pm on 02 Nov 2009, nikki noodle wrote:

@Si Cross

Although I dont run the BBC iD Blog Team (F) Division Feedback Loop, Section G, I hope you have read what was posted on the wall.

It is just under the paperclip.
    You can't miss it.

You missed it?!
    Let me summarise:

The Feedback Team (Section G) are only responsible for feeding the responses back to Section F, (Answering Queries and Questions) who, in turn will liaise with yourselves in BBC iD when and if they need to find out who is posting on a particular thread. The upshot of this is that Sections H and I need to be fully in the loop vis a vis upgrade action timetables so as to be proactive with their functionallity in the upward direction.

BBC Multi Media and Technological Futures (the old Section D) will of course be continuing to roll out the pre-itemised packages so as to continue to provide 'travel upgrades' in this medium.

Please contact me, or any of the Team, if we can help in any way.
    Eamon Phyre

• 104. At 11:10pm on 02 Nov 2009, needsanewnickname wrote:

Si,

Not really offended. I often post with tongue wedged in cheek, but you're not to know that.

In a grump, though...

;o) back atcha

• 105. At 11:23pm on 02 Nov 2009, Simon Cross wrote:

Thanks @nikki noodle.

Point taken.

Si.

• 106. At 03:24am on 03 Nov 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Thanks for your feedback Simon and for you and your team sorting out the problems. As ValP says above, most of us aren't terribly technical and don't like being rocketed out of our comfort zone with change - especially when it comes as such a surprise as Frances, Gillianian and ValP have pointed out. Like Stewart@101, I limit my technical involvement to this blog only and the book of faces - which has irritations of its own - and the two are more than enough technical inter-action for one little old lady.

As you are not the right target for our petition to bring back recent comments and change back the username from "you" (what little genius thought of that?) to our actual name, would you let us know who is? The way it was before made it so much easier to scroll through and check what you'd said previously, without having to click on your own name and go zooming off to another thread. You used to easily be able to spot yourself, or do a 'search and find' and now you can't do a search for "you" for obvious reasons. There is the reason behind our (my) objection, we aren't simply being tetchy about change.

I don't mind in the least being referred to as a "guy", I use "chaps" all the time in my 'customary, potentially, over-informall-ness'.

nikki, I've read your post @103 three times and I still can't work out what it means. That Simon understoon @105 leads me to believe it is written in Beebspeak and not for the merely mortal amongst us to understand. Either that or it's just too early for my brain to be working properly.

• 107. At 03:26am on 03 Nov 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Now I've gone and split an infinitive and just know I'm going to be chased with a red pen in the morning. *Sigh*

• 108. At 06:36am on 03 Nov 2009, dennisjunior1 wrote:

George:

Thanks for the information about, changing my
    identity...

=Dennis Junior=

• 109. At 08:18am on 03 Nov 2009, Anne P wrote:

Following a request in another place I am posting this on behalf of Big Sister (and hoping it gets through pre-mod quickly):

"I still cannot get onto the Blog and am having to ask others to post this for me. Despite repeated attempts, and using the correct information, the system is playing games with me (and probably others). The Membership Team asked me what the problem is, and I've replied, but I've heard nothing more from them.

Simon has said :

My response to him is how the heck can people do this when they can't get into the system?

And, again, I'd like to comment that it was perhaps not a good idea to spring this upon us without any warning. I've now wasted hours and hours trying to get back into the Blog. I love the Blog, but am beginning to hate the system.

Big Sis"

• 110. At 08:21am on 03 Nov 2009, Anne P wrote:

Good - I seem to be out of pre-mod (due to having to create a new identity).

Now can someone please merge my split personalities.

I created my new id as 'Anne-reborn' but would prefer still to be Anne P. Assuming I had to make it slightly different I went in and changed Anne-reborn to Anne-P. which is what now shows at the top right when I sign in, but not on the postings.

How can I be Anne-P. everywhere?

• 111. At 09:35am on 03 Nov 2009, The Wrath Is Come wrote:

Just got a message from Big Sister, she is still in exile from this blog, it seems the new ID system won't accept her username at the final stage.

If someone could investigate it would be greatly appreciated.

In her own words "I'm currently crying with the frustration of it all :("

• 112. At 09:42am on 03 Nov 2009, Lord Nathan wrote:

Just received an email scam offering an update of sign-in procedures on the book of faces. BEWARE!

• 113. At 10:26am on 03 Nov 2009, Fearless Fred wrote:

I can back up what Lord Nathan's saying re the book of faces email scam. I just checked the spam folder of my email, and there's four emails there all saying that my "new" password is in the attached zipped document. Yeah right! If you get this email, delete it!

• 114. At 10:50am on 03 Nov 2009, lucien desgai wrote:

Info about FB scam ... http://www.scmagazineus.com/Facebook-scam-email-tries-to-spread-Zeus-bank-trojan/article/156456/

• 115. At 10:55am on 03 Nov 2009, Simon Cross wrote:

Hey @Anne-reborn, @The Wrath Is Come, @Big Sister,

Please contact us at the details provided here and we'll try and look into it.

• 116. At 11:01am on 03 Nov 2009, ValeryP wrote:

Stewart M - quite right, I should have thanked Simon Cross for doing what he managed to do to help us out. However my point was that he shouldn't have been having to dig us out of the mire - a stitch in time saves nine ;o)

• 117. At 11:21am on 03 Nov 2009, A voice from the past wrote:

Simon - I have been through everything on that link. I've been told by the Membership Team that it is the result of a 'rare' glitch. I echo Val's point that it would have been better to have things working properly before rolling this out (oh, and giving us some notice perhaps?). I have spent HOURS and HOURS on trying to get this solved - yesterday morning, last night, and now, well, let's see - I logged on at 8 a.m. and it is now 11.45 a.m. and I've been working on this all the time. I am fed up, and I think I (and others) have a right to be fed up about it. And I have a funny feeling that it is the IDs of longer standing who are having the problems - a bit of a kick in the teeth for loyalty.

Anyway, if this isn't sorted out today, I shall have, reluctantly, to say goodbye to the Blog. I have only adopted this ID to post an explanation, but I shan't be faffing around anymore if all I get is links to information that I've already found to be useless in my case.

I'll miss the Blog though.

*sigh*

Big Sis

• 118. At 11:36am on 03 Nov 2009, Fearless Fred wrote:

Big Sis, I really hope that this gets sorted and you can return properly to the blog. It would be a real shame for you to disappear while trolls have not been affected, and some are even allowed to re-invent themselves time after time after being banned for repetitive screeds...

• 119. At 12:43pm on 03 Nov 2009, lucien desgai wrote:

I certainly won't be posting on the blog if BigSis can't.

• 120. At 12:44pm on 03 Nov 2009, vainly_here wrote:

I don't see how Auntie can effectively ban people, as the main ID is an email address. New email addresses can be obtained so easily that anyone can set up a series to avoid removal.

• 121. At 12:49pm on 03 Nov 2009, Lord Nathan wrote:

Si,
    "Please contact us at the details provided here and we'll try and look into it."

That looks remarkably like the email I got (several times) from Facebook

• 122. At 12:51pm on 03 Nov 2009, Lord Nathan wrote:

Well, it wasn't really from FB. Are you really who you say? Who is?

Seriously, please anyone receiving an email offering an update, Check teh email address of the sender! - CAREFULLY!

• 123. At 1:00pm on 03 Nov 2009, ValeryP wrote:

Yup, I've had that spoof email twice already this morning Lord Nathan, thanks for the warning, it did look darned realistic.

Voice from the Past - hang on in there....

• 124. At 2:46pm on 03 Nov 2009, mittfh wrote:

OK, so I upgraded fairly painlessly, successfully posted on one thread, and it looks as though I can post successfully on another.

I wonder if it works between BBC Blogs - I'll just hop over to iPM and see what happens...

• 125. At 3:32pm on 03 Nov 2009, needsanewnickname wrote:

mittfh - and?

• 126. At 6:41pm on 03 Nov 2009, Big Sister wrote:

A big thank you to the Membership Team and to George South who seem, between them, to have finally removed the 'hair in the gate' that was stopping me from emigrating to the new system.

Next time anything like this is contemplated, could Those in Power give us good warning and let us know what we can expect? Please? Pretty please?

• 127. At 7:45pm on 03 Nov 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Big Sis! Welcome home.

• 128. At 10:07pm on 03 Nov 2009, Cossackgirl wrote:

Anne-P! I am so glad you are you again! I think I got lucky yesterday because, as Si Cross points out, if you click "sign in" it takes you through procedures, a confirmatory email, etc but it lets you keep your handle (it also showed my date of birth). If I clicked "register" I would be treated as a newcomer - Mittfh!! - perhaps that's how the nasties change their aliases so quickly?
    Lady Sue: concerning the "you" problem. I get around it by checking the blog BEFORE I sign in. Then I see "Cossackgirl" in the proper places and can go to my comments. I only sign in when I want to post, that's when "you" appears on all threads.
    Thanks for warning about the Facebook scam, everybody! I am just on the brink of signing up and there are such goings on! I have proper cold feet now...

• 129. At 11:08am on 04 Nov 2009, Gillianian wrote:

Cossackgirl (128) Take heart from the fact that it's not Facebook who are responsible for this scam - it's someone pretending to be them in order to gain people's trust. It could equally be someone masquerading as your bank, or other trusted institution.
    I haven't received the e-mail in question, but as with all these things, I'm glad to have been reminded to be vigilant, and to double-check the sender's details before I open anything.

• 130. At 12:34pm on 04 Nov 2009, Lord Nathan wrote:

Cossack Girl (and all),

The general rule of thumb is:

If some entity contacts you and wants information from you - BEWARE! Make sure they are who/what they say they re. Usually they aren't.

If you initiate the contact, and are requested to confirm your identity, that's normal.

Beware Greeks bearing gifts.

• 131. At 1:11pm on 04 Nov 2009, needsanewnickname wrote:

I misread that as 'beware Geeks bearing gifts'...

• 132. At 1:25pm on 04 Nov 2009, Lord Nathan wrote:

Actually just as appropriate! Except I don't rate the "Communities Team" that highly...

• 133. At 10:28am on 05 Nov 2009, Idcam wrote:

I cant quite remember now, it seems so long ago, but when I went through this process I was asked for some new user name or nickname or something and I'm sure I was told that the new name would now be displayed alongside my comments. But it isn't. I'm still referred to as "idontcareanymore".

I expect I misunderstood.

I wonder if its possible to go back and change one's personal details. Can't see how.

• 134. At 10:29am on 05 Nov 2009, Big Sister wrote:

133: Who were you before?

• 135. At 10:31am on 05 Nov 2009, Idcam wrote:

Except when I'm referred to as "you" that is. Very annoying, BTW - like if I want to do a search on then page for a comment I made earlier to I search for "idontcareanymore wrote" or "you wrote". Sometimes it's one, sometimes it's the other. As I say, very annoying. Well, slightly annoying, aactually!

• 136. At 10:32am on 05 Nov 2009, Idcam wrote:

Loads of typos in my last post. I'll try again:

Except when I'm referred to as "you" that is. Very annoying, BTW - like if I want to do a search on the page for a comment I made earlier do I search for "idontcareanymore wrote" or "you wrote"? Sometimes it's one, sometimes it's the other. As I say, very annoying. Well, slightly annoying, actually!

That's better!

• 137. At 10:35am on 05 Nov 2009, Idcam wrote:

this is underlined

Just checking ... didn't seem to work on my earlier posts.

OK, it works on the preview. So now I'll post it and see.

• 138. At 10:36am on 05 Nov 2009, Anne P wrote:

idontcareanymore - it does say that if you change your display name it will appear after a while - but that's not my experience.

If you can log into one of the Message Boards such as the Archers and leave a message you then have the option to change your name - but this latest 'upgrade' has locked me out of that! Good luck.

• 139. At 10:41am on 05 Nov 2009, Idcam wrote:

Oh. It's one of those "upgrades" that's really a "downgrade" is it? Like software companies are forever doing. I think there's a saying about that, something like:

"It ain't broke so let's fix that."

• 140. At 10:46am on 05 Nov 2009, Idcam wrote:

Have you tried refreshing the page? It's become a nightmare!

• 141. At 3:28pm on 05 Nov 2009, needsanewnickname wrote: