Countdown to the brand new weather.

Eddie Mair | 10:42 UK time, Monday, 12 October 2009

weather.JPGOn PM at 17.57. Much more on the programme tonight and here during the day.

It really is a first and we want to know what you think. Watch this space.

Comments

• 1. At 11:04am on 12 Oct 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

I'm so resisting the urge to say "I think I can see a hole..."

• 2. At 11:20am on 12 Oct 2009, Big Sister wrote:

That cloud is waving to me! Just as well as I'm beginning to lose my sense of humour in RL owing to a delivery that hasn't arrived this morning - oh, and no card left either as the object is coming by van.

• 3. At 12:10pm on 12 Oct 2009, Helena-Handbasket wrote:

If you stare long enough (about 8 seconds for me) at the cloud picture - I swear it starts to drift gently to the right...

• 4. At 12:13pm on 12 Oct 2009, Looternite wrote:

Leave the weather alone.
    Since Gordon Brown has been PM he has changed it to Scotland mode. We want it back to England mode (less rain, more sunshine).

• 5. At 5:14pm on 12 Oct 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

BS 2, I think it's pinching its nose at you. Had a bath lately?

• 6. At 5:15pm on 12 Oct 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

HH 3, Politically?

• 7. At 5:26pm on 12 Oct 2009, neoGrandad wrote:

Looking forward to new Shipping Area type weather forecast
    Funny cloud picture at
    [Unsuitable/Broken URL removed by Moderator]

• 8. At 5:31pm on 12 Oct 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

Countdown? Is Carol Vorderman coming out of retirement to do the weather?

• 9. At 5:53pm on 12 Oct 2009, ericleroi wrote:

The map would be much tidier if we replaced 'Wales' with 'Western England' to balance 'Eastern England'. Nobody would mind, would they? After all, it's only a name.

• 10. At 5:58pm on 12 Oct 2009, SaintCypher wrote:

I thought I was going balmy, because I would listen to the weather... find myself spacing out... and then realise that I had missed my region forecast! SO interesting that other people have found the weather forecast hard to follow or pay attention to! So, am very interested to listen to the change in the forecast presentation and see what happens!

• 11. At 6:04pm on 12 Oct 2009, Nick Betts wrote:

I followed Peter Gibbs' advice and have looked at the map and checked my county. I'm in Wiltshire so in the South West. But I live in Salisbury and am little more than a stone's throw (a decent walk) from Hampshire, which is the South East. Does the weather know the county boundaries?

Here in Salisbury we get precious little weather, just the rump of whatever the prevailing system is.

Listening to the new format as I write and it is much more cogent and sensible. Going systematically, naming the areas before the forecast/report and headlining with major events or warnings is so self-evidently better. It makes one wonder who ever thought it would be good idea to start deviating from that. This seems like a case of reinventing the national radio weather forecasting wheel. Where did all those other creative but unfunctional shapes come from?

• 12. At 6:07pm on 12 Oct 2009, juliebanks wrote:

Liked the revised forecast

• 13. At 6:12pm on 12 Oct 2009, auntMargaret-Anne wrote:

Enjoyed it.. but a bit like 'Dora Explorer'
    you need 'The Map' :)

• 14. At 6:13pm on 12 Oct 2009, jonerley wrote:

Doesn't FLINTSHIRE have weather? Check Wales Area: we're not there.
    North and South Wales very often have quite different weather. How will you handle this?

• 15. At 6:22pm on 12 Oct 2009, Magpie77 wrote:

The new presentation seems a lot clearer to me; living in West Yorkshire, I was fed up with the likes of "In Northern Ireland ..., in Scotland ... and in the South ...." - which left Northern England and Wales uncovered. A big improvement, thanks, and now please fix the ghastly BBC weather website.

• 16. At 6:45pm on 12 Oct 2009, iamrichardcanin wrote:

• 17. At 6:55pm on 12 Oct 2009, ChrisWestSussex wrote:

Hurray for a clear and intelligent forecast. Hurray for rain! Much easier to understand and REMEMBER without all the faffing, fluffing and padding. It's meant to be informative, not entertainment. May we never hear about spits and spots ever again. (I do sympathise with some bloggers about areas, you probably need to break these down a bit more.)

• 18. At 7:20pm on 12 Oct 2009, docwendy wrote:

Liked it - but as I live in Bristol found still that I wonder whether to listen to temperatures in Cardiff or Birmingham rather than Exeter or Plymouth. We seem to be in a little weather island here

• 19. At 7:52pm on 12 Oct 2009, wavetrack wrote:

I think it is an improvement but I reckon you are better off listening to the local BBC radio forecast if you are in the area. It is important not to have silly flowery embellishments like that Corbett fellow gives. Keep to the facts to have maximum impact on the listener.

• 20. At 11:48pm on 12 Oct 2009, Martinside wrote:

lying here in my hospital bed I actually managed to take in the weather forecast

Well Done

• 21. At 07:39am on 13 Oct 2009, Sally wrote:

Obviously much better. Listening to a list makes it much easier to pick out relevant information than listening to a narrative. Which is kinda obvious, really - why did they ever think otherwise? And there'll never be anything you can do about places which fall on the borders of areas; you have to draw a line somewhere. Those of us who do (I'm in Oxford, south-east on the map!) just have to listen to two forecasts and take our pick, but then we always have. Most weather systems from either side have petered out by the time they get to us.

• 22. At 07:44am on 13 Oct 2009, Sally wrote:

I should have added that it would be helpful if they could overlay the new regions onto a map with city names so that you can see just how far into or out of a certain area you are.