The PM Glass Box.

Eddie Mair | 12:23 UK time, Tuesday, 22 September 2009

This is the place where you can and should comment on tonight's programme. Your editor this evening, Amanda Lewis, will read your comments, note your details and hunt you down.

glassgard.jpg

Comments

• 1. At 1:41pm on 22 Sep 2009, T8-eh-T8 wrote:

Oh My Gosh

Just heard Nick Clegg being interviewed on W@1 and thought he came across very poorly indeed.

I generally support the Lib Dems but have been turned right off on the strength of that interview. He was mealy mouthed, non-comittal, avoided giving direct answers to direct questions and generally appeared like the clone party leader; lacking substance yet slick with jargon.

I actually resent the fact that I now have no party I feel represents me. With the possible exception of Vince Cable, they all are mired in the electability over ideology paradigm.

Boo Nick Clegg. Booo for eroding any hope I may have been nurturing.

• 2. At 2:03pm on 22 Sep 2009, Big Sister wrote:

Methinks Mr. McNickle has had a hand in this. And this time he's even signed it (courtesty of Michelangelo).

• 3. At 2:23pm on 22 Sep 2009, Looternite wrote:

#1. T8-eh-T8
    I also heard that interview and to be honest he was being given an easy ride again.
    I heard Cable and Paxo last night and I got the impression that Cable was all fluffy and stumbling. Yet Paxo was being so gentle with him. I think Cable was worried that Paxo was about to hit with a googly any time.

• 4. At 3:25pm on 22 Sep 2009, ValeryP wrote:

Love the photo :-)

• 5. At 3:52pm on 22 Sep 2009, funnyJoedunn wrote:

T8 # 1

Derren Brown stands at the doors of all party conferences and look into their eyes as they pole up.

I'm so cynical I'm supporting the fag paper you can't get between them...sorry for your experience. It does get better with time...hopefully.

• 6. At 3:56pm on 22 Sep 2009, funnyJoedunn wrote:

Hey McNickle,

Where are you...get out here. Nice glass box. Come and explain it please.

• 7. At 4:02pm on 22 Sep 2009, Richard_SM wrote:

Looternite,

Cable and Paxo last night

I saw that as well, just as we got back last night. Vince Cable was all over the place. He lacked confidence and was clearly uncomfortable with the policies he's obviously been been forced to present to the media. He hadn't a clue how 'his' revenue-raising policy was going to work.

• 8. At 4:14pm on 22 Sep 2009, Richard_SM wrote:

Climate Change Talks

China appears to be taking the lead in the climate talks, yet the news bulletin I heard in the car earlier this afternoon started off by questioning China's carbon emissions record which I found surprising. China's record is one of the best in the world.

• 9. At 4:15pm on 22 Sep 2009, Looternite wrote:

#7. Richard_SM
    Did you also get the impression that Cable was frightened that Paxo was building up to something.
    Perhaps it was just that as you say, it was his policies he was discomfited by.
    Sid must be at the conference.

• 10. At 4:51pm on 22 Sep 2009, U14138029 wrote:

RSM (8) - Both views can be argued. As a country China is the largest producer of Carbon Dioxide. But on a per capita basis it is one of the lower emitters. Demand for electricity in China is rising at a rate of about 10% per annum. Currently coal accounts for about 80% of total electricity production in China. Something's gotta give.

• 11. At 4:55pm on 22 Sep 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

fJd 6, What makes you think it is mine? I will try to explain. Last week Eddie sent a photo of a statue in Paris, so... I decided to cover up my namesake because, after all, this is the BBC. The suspenders/braces are a, er, red rubberband. The rest is a glass box on a glass box on a glass box on a glass box. All with blue chairs and cups. The tree is self-explanatory. And I didn't hire any low paid furriners to help me.

• 12. At 4:58pm on 22 Sep 2009, ValeryP wrote:

DMcN - I beg to differ, I suspect that more than one of your glass boxes are, in fact, plastic ;-o

• 13. At 5:01pm on 22 Sep 2009, lucien desgai wrote:

12 ValP
    I think it's a collage of lunchboxes.

• 14. At 5:04pm on 22 Sep 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

VP 12, They might be perspex.

l_d 13, Five, including David's.

• 15. At 5:06pm on 22 Sep 2009, lucien desgai wrote:

14 McNick
    Precisely!

Good to see you back again.

• 16. At 5:14pm on 22 Sep 2009, Looternite wrote:

The Lib/Dem's have for years banged on about "fair taxes" and yet this "Mansion Tax" is on close examination unfair.
    I will explain: I can assure you that I nor any in my family live in houses worth 1 million. The unfairness comes about because of the variation of property values across the nation. It means that this tax will bear down more so on the south especially London and the home counties.
    You could live in a house in some parts of the country that is valued less than the magic 1 million and yet is more extensive than London area property. Hence the unfairness.

• 17. At 5:21pm on 22 Sep 2009, funnyJoedunn wrote:

Looternite,

The other side of the coin is, properties in London are much more expensive because there is more wealth there. People tend to be better off generally due to the London pay rates.

Also the fact that most of the arts, entertainment, tourist sites, opportunties etc, etc, tend to be London centric. People could always move out if they own a property worth that much to something outside the catchment limit.

• 18. At 5:26pm on 22 Sep 2009, funnyJoedunn wrote:

David, (11)

I tell your glass boxes a mile off. It is good to get them explained. I think its very witty and has it's own kind of originality. I wouldn't be too peed when Eddie dosen't use it right away on occasion. They usually make their way up eventually.

Good work.

• 19. At 5:29pm on 22 Sep 2009, funnyJoedunn wrote:

Sequin, I love the way you say codswallop!

• 20. At 5:31pm on 22 Sep 2009, Looternite wrote:

#17. funnyJoedunn
    I'm not going to get into a lengthy discussion with you as you can be a bit like a terrier with a bone.
    I will say this; there has been numerous reports that point out that the disposable incomes of people in London and the southeast is a lot lower than other areas.

• 21. At 5:34pm on 22 Sep 2009, funnyJoedunn wrote:

Looternite,

Wheres that flippin' bone?...

• 22. At 6:00pm on 22 Sep 2009, invincibleoldandwise wrote:

Liked the comment from that Lib Dem MP that it's the news media who pigeon hole politicians into 'good' and 'bad'. Contrary to the BBC's perception, Vince Cable isn't a genius or a saint - he's just human.

• 23. At 6:06pm on 22 Sep 2009, lucien desgai wrote:

Starry, starry night
    Flaming flowers that brightly blaze
    Swirling clouds in violet haze
    Reflecting vincent's eyes of china blue

• 24. At 6:22pm on 22 Sep 2009, steelpulse wrote:

Two things, Edward.

I thought someone in the Media passed a law that Vincent Cable could not be called anything but the best thing since sliced bread - allegedly? Who was that man who said Mr Cable was - er - only human?

And a thank you for Mr Joyce's interview. I will think onnit a bit.

Did anyone note - not a flicker of hesitation or concern from Sequin "on the spot piece" as the man she was reporting on "just walked" by her stand? Just as she reported his reception by the Party members?

Old-school, in my opinion. No offence about the "old"!

My admiration - I would have Nils-like "filled" with how loverly the Bournemouth weather was for a few seconds.

• 25. At 6:30pm on 22 Sep 2009, Richard_SM wrote:

Ref. 10. PrestonFirmlie

"Something's gotta give."

USA, Canada, Australia all push out more than 15 tonnes per capita per annum.

Britain, Japan, Russia, Germany, Italy, around 10 tonnes.

China only emits 5 tonnes per person.

A large part of China’s emissions is created by western demand for their products.

Furthermore, the Chinese people have made a considerable sacrifice already. The one-child policy has ‘saved’ 480 million people. At 5 tonnes/person/annum prevents 22,400 tonnes per annum. How many countries have reduced carbon emissions on that scale?

• 26. At 6:39pm on 22 Sep 2009, Richard_SM wrote:

Ref the whale in the Clyde.

That makes four in the last week or so. There was one off the Dorset coast the other day; one in the Thames estuary last week; and another one (somewhere I've forgotten) last week. Haven't got time to check it out right now.

• 27. At 6:41pm on 22 Sep 2009, Richard_SM wrote:

Dorset whale

• 28. At 6:43pm on 22 Sep 2009, Richard_SM wrote:

Thames estuary whale

• 29. At 7:09pm on 22 Sep 2009, lucien desgai wrote:

25 RSM
    Surely the one child policy is symbolic of everything that's wrong with the way that China governs itself.

• 30. At 9:50pm on 22 Sep 2009, U14146942 wrote:

Both views can't be argued, taking one person as one person, no matter where they are.

Do stop talking for talking sake.

• 31. At 10:23pm on 22 Sep 2009, funnyJoedunn wrote:

MP, do you ever get mixed up with all those new pass words you have to find?

• 32. At 11:59pm on 22 Sep 2009, U14138029 wrote:

MyPreference/Mac (30)

"Do stop talking for talking sake."

Ha ha!

• 33. At 07:51am on 23 Sep 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

JAMES WHALE

• 34. At 07:53am on 23 Sep 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

Must be extinct...

• 35. At 07:55am on 23 Sep 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

If at first:

JAMES WHALE

• 36. At 07:55am on 23 Sep 2009, lucien desgai wrote:

34 David 'three sheds' McNickle
    Your link doesn't work ... but I think he's stranded in the Clyde.

• 37. At 07:56am on 23 Sep 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

No longer extinct...

• 38. At 07:59am on 23 Sep 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

l_d 36, As I said... Better than Arthur "Two Sheds" Jackson.

• 39. At 08:01am on 23 Sep 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

fJd 18, Oh yeah, then where's the previous that Q promised would appear?

• 40. At 08:11am on 23 Sep 2009, lucien desgai wrote:

39 Three sheds
    Maybe one of your future box submissions could incorporate a royal ornament (though a little more fulsomely attired than 'David').

• 41. At 08:58am on 23 Sep 2009, Big Sister wrote:

David, we had two sheds, but they weren't enough for us, so, to avoid looking like Shedland by putting up another one, we waited till we could avoid a larger shed and demolished on of the original sheds. Now we have two sheds again, one of which is a large shed. Soon the smaller shed will be demolished - I have an old greenhouse that will replace it. [Confused? You won't be after watching the next episode of Soap.]

It would all be so much easier if we had a garage, but we don't.

• 42. At 10:15am on 23 Sep 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

l_d 40, He is usually bare nekkid nood.

BS 41, Our first shed is actually the length of two sheds. The second, called the B shed because we kept beekeeping stuff in it, was acquired from a neighbor who was throwing it away. The thrid, shed C, was also one a neighbor was replacing. It is at the far end of the garden (175 feet away) and is full of my 'junk'. We also have a greenhouse. That is my wife's domain. As we have no driveway, no garage.

• 43. At 10:16am on 23 Sep 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

l_d 36, But not quite like the man with three buttocks.

• 44. At 10:23am on 23 Sep 2009, Big Sister wrote:

42: But how long is two sheds long, David? Is this a new measuring device, I ask? I can hear it now: Two sheds long and one shed high.

Our large shed is only 10 x 8. A friend is having a 12 x 8 erected. I'm jealous.

• 45. At 10:31am on 23 Sep 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

BS 44, I'll go measure it. It is rougly 2x1. I wish I had a 12x8 erection.

• 46. At 10:34am on 23 Sep 2009, Big Sister wrote:

David: I am talking imperial, not metric, btw ;)

• 47. At 1:42pm on 23 Sep 2009, funnyJoedunn wrote:

I had a friend who described a bad day as, "mi heads a shed"!

• 48. At 1:42pm on 23 Sep 2009, funnyJoedunn wrote:

I assumed it was because of all the junk in it.

• 49. At 4:14pm on 23 Sep 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

BS 46, Our big one is approx. 15 feet by 6.5 feet and is divided into two sections.

• 50. At 5:30pm on 23 Sep 2009, pastim wrote:

No one has said why Baroness Scotland failed to notice that she was employing an illegal immigrant. We know she did not copy the documents, but what documents did she check, and did she check them properly? Surely the latter is the main failure for which she should be held responsible, rather than the failure to copy the papers?

• 51. At 5:57pm on 23 Sep 2009, Don Dealgan wrote:

I would like pursue some research on how much useless research is being undertaken at universities and colleges. Now politicians are seeking to charge students more for tuition...I believe this adds more urgency to this pressing research priority...I demand huge and immediate funding for my vital research project

• 52. At 9:25pm on 23 Sep 2009, lucien desgai wrote:

49 Three sheds
    "Our big one is approx. 15 feet by 6.5 feet and is divided into two sections."
    Four sheds!

• 53. At 10:19am on 24 Sep 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

l_d 52, I didn't want to brag. I think the partition helps hold up the roof.