The AM Glass Box.

Eddie Mair | 05:28 UK time, Thursday, 30 July 2009

glassam2.JPG

Good morning.

You may have read your morning paper and listened to the radio, and have some ideas you want to hear on PM tonight.

Perhaps a question about something in the news you would like answered - or better still, direct experience of something topical. Or maybe there's an aspect to a big story you haven't heard explored that you would like to hear.

It's best to post before 10.00, so we can work ideas into our 11.00 meeting.

Comments

• 1. At 07:35am on 30 Jul 2009, pithywriter wrote:

To Eddie and the editors: Today's Drugs story 'Police to Allow Drug Dealing' Please give context to this story. please please in your reports let's hear from those countries who for a long time have already effectively decriminalised drugs years ago... Switzerland Portuagal etc. I AM IN FAVOUR of COMPLETE decriminalisation so that the %5000 mark up that is on heroin for example, is taken out of the hands of dealers.
    But what is advocated by your story(harm reduction by allowing dealing to stay in the hands of these guys if they just stop shooting each other) is a bad idea... as we have to go the whole hog. EG...On my council estate in camden the council houses drug dealers - by virtue of the fact that they are deemed 'vulnerable' having been in jail!!!!! Free flat, dole and freedom to deal....perverse or what??? We low paid workers and pensioners etc have to live with the horrendous nuisance. We are told to keep diaries etc so the police can be called - after 3 years of diaries the police have done nothing - so I say they already have decriminalised the dealing. But it should be done in such a way that users can get what they want for free or a normal price from the doctor or chemist. CUT THE DEALERS VAST PROFIT. Remember it is this 5000% mark up that drives the Taliban via their poppy growing and dealing to the (stupid) West, which has led to their ability to blow people up here and hold power there (e.g. in Helmut). the hideous situation in Columbia and Mexico and all over the world is down to the 5000% mark up... please let's not go down the route of the dealers being left alone to deal in peace so business can go on unhindererd. You should see the life style these guys are able to lead from their taxpayer paid for council flats in central london.. with their dogs they strut around our estate in expensive clothing so obviously wealthy - and worse they mop up the skinny undernourished youths on our estate who act as their donkeys/runners. I am in the process of moving as I cannot stand it any more. My flat could go to another of their kind as there are millions of them. On the other hand if it is all so easy and profitable maybe I will join them!

• 2. At 08:12am on 30 Jul 2009, JAlexW wrote:

If the MOD realized in Feb/March of this year that the injury compensation scheme required re examination then why did they wait until the public outcry to fix a flawed system?

• 3. At 08:35am on 30 Jul 2009, funnyJoedunn wrote:

Pithywriter (1)

You very eloquently expose all thats wrong about many things in our country. Its been this way for a long time. I am deeply distressed that you have to leave your community this is a travesty. The police, local council and the government have a legal duty of care to you as an individual and your 'none' drug culture community. Their duty of care exists both in the short and long-term. It sounds crazy, shear crazy to me to hand over communities to the drugs culture if they agree to stop shooting who....'each other'!

So it seems we'll let the drugs be...and just 'kettle' and beat anyone wanting a better society, or just wanting to get home from work...

• 4. At 08:47am on 30 Jul 2009, funnyJoedunn wrote:

JAlexW (2)

Because we live in a country where, traditionally the government has been one of the most secritive on 'all' information as far as the population are concerned. You only need to work out for what purpose.

• 5. At 09:08am on 30 Jul 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

Hi Eddie,
    Henry Allingham's funeral takes place today, with the funeral of Harry Patch to follow next week. On Today this morning the Poet Laureate, Carol Ann Duffy, read out the poem she has written, Last Post, can we have it repeated on PM tonight as well?

• 6. At 09:34am on 30 Jul 2009, Da_Vicki wrote:

gr8 Post!!!

• 7. At 09:48am on 30 Jul 2009, Big Sister wrote:

DiY, I'll second that.

If I get to Brighton today (as I would like) I'll report back. I'm seriously considering heading over to Wells next week.

• 8. At 09:58am on 30 Jul 2009, U14056677 wrote:

I bet that babe is cut and paste (if it isn't all blue, do)

Good to know bankers are still up for a good scive.

• 9. At 09:59am on 30 Jul 2009, U14056677 wrote:

Oh, joy! (Meant to change the font size to 3)

• 10. At 10:10am on 30 Jul 2009, kevinm1372 wrote:

Re Drug dealing. If they want radical, let's cut out the middle man. If the police become the main suppliers it takes out the criminals and the profit will provide more police on the streets.

• 11. At 10:16am on 30 Jul 2009, Big Sister wrote:

ThinkerRetired: I was interested by that story, too. I know of a number of people who suffer strong allergic reactions to certain perfumes. One even required hospital treatment when somebody wearing AnaisAnais was in the same room with her!

• 12. At 10:37am on 30 Jul 2009, Big Sister wrote:

re 5: This is the link to the page on the Today programme where you can both read, and hear Carol Ann Duffy reading, the poem they commissioned to mark the passing of the last two WW1 vets.

If you didn't hear it, I'd urge you to do so. It is very very good.

• 13. At 1:01pm on 30 Jul 2009, Big Sister wrote:

How careful we must all be these days with our language! One letter - A - can make a complete twit of a political party leader, it appears. It took this for me to realise that the word in question is, or can be, offensive. Shows how little I know! ;)

• 14. At 1:20pm on 30 Jul 2009, Billy Kay wrote:

Last night (or was it the night before) Eddie was hugely amused by "Bing" and asked for ideas for naming a new search engine. Well here goes.
    How about "lookup", "seek" or maybe just "search"?
    Then we could all say "I'm going to go and lookup/seek/search that" - your granny would know what you meant, and Eddie would be saved embarrassment on live radio!

• 15. At 3:03pm on 30 Jul 2009, The Stainless Steel Cat wrote:

billkatbtinternet (14) and Big Sis (13):

Why not combine these? Take the sting out of an offensive word by giving it a new, everyday meaning as a search engine?

"I'll have to t**t that."
    "I don't know yet, I'm t**ting it."
    "I put it into T**t, but nothing useful happened."

If you're binging for me, I'll be on the naughty step.

• 16. At 3:20pm on 30 Jul 2009, funnyJoedunn wrote:

• 17. At 3:26pm on 30 Jul 2009, lordBeddGelert wrote:

What about 'twot' then ?

• 18. At 3:29pm on 30 Jul 2009, The Stainless Steel Cat wrote:

FJD (16):

Of course you did, you should have another "t" in there...

• 19. At 3:49pm on 30 Jul 2009, funnyJoedunn wrote: