PM as Art.

Eddie Mair | 10:46 UK time, Wednesday, 29 July 2009

art1.JPG

art2.JPG

Steve Porter has very kindly sent us this. Steve was interviewed by Nils in Upshares recently about his large sculpture (made of images of money) outside the Bank of England. Steve has now dismantled the sculpture and has made some small canvases using the original skin. He's sent one to me and one to Nils. Steve - how very kind, and thank you for the music too.

Steve's website is here.

And by the way it's Joe the editrice holding it up. Like she used to with banks.

(Can you spot Nils?)

Comments

• 1. At 10:56am on 29 Jul 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

How very kind of Steve - interesting and appropriate artwork, especially for Nils!

• 2. At 11:00am on 29 Jul 2009, Big Sister wrote:

Great!

And is that Nils in the top picture with his head cut off? And is the other decapitee yourself, Eddie?

• 3. At 11:14am on 29 Jul 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

Nice gesture Steve.

• 4. At 11:28am on 29 Jul 2009, funnyJoedunn wrote:

£4/19s/11d

7s/6d

4s/1d (four an a penny)

half a crown (two and six)

21s (a guinea)

Threepenny bit (3d)

florin (two bob, two shillings)

Two an a kick (half a crown, 2s/6d)

half a dollar (two an a kick)

5 bob (a dollar)

10 bob note (half a Knicker, ten shillings)

a dollar (five shillings)

a Guinea (21 shillings)

17 and a tanner (17/6d

5 Knicker (5 pounds)

No wonder we grew up confused...but try telling the youngsters.

• 5. At 11:37am on 29 Jul 2009, The Stainless Steel Cat wrote:

I like the BBC bra-strap. Is this the modern equivalent of DJs wearing DJs? Presenters and production team wearing BBC-themed undies?

• 6. At 11:46am on 29 Jul 2009, Big Sister wrote:

I think Steve has skated a little close to the wind on his Bank of Steve image ... Isn't it illegal to deface an image of the Queen?

• 7. At 12:37pm on 29 Jul 2009, U14056677 wrote:

Don't forget a ten spot, a sheet, a tanner (as in three and a tanner) and all those mockney ones like a monkey and a pony and stuff.

Still, smash is still good, even if dosh sounds bosh these days. And a fiver and a tenner.

Actually I use thruppence and sixpence, still. I'll start giving tanner a spin.

• 8. At 12:54pm on 29 Jul 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Possibly I haven't been paying enough attention but might I ask why the new blog format has full stops after each heading? Headings aren't sentences so surely do not need full stops? Looks a bit strange to me to have 'Smoking stats.', 'PM as Art.', 'Poetry With William Shatner.'...

Am I too pedantic? (question mark)

• 9. At 8:20pm on 29 Jul 2009, The Wrath Is Come wrote:

Thinker retired 7 - what is a pony, as I understand it a monkey is 50 squid but I've often wondered what a pony is.

Also with this new blog does anyones post always start with a space that one always deletes before commenting?

Weird.

• 10. At 10:47pm on 29 Jul 2009, U14056677 wrote:

Hey.

A pony is supposed to be 25 quid, but I've head it used for a twenty.

Great opportunity for comedy sketch in which mockneys have to keep on explaining their slang to each other. Plus making it up is good. The test is : how long before you hear someone else (not a mate or in the know) using it.

A yard is US for a hundred.
    In Bristol half way between mockney and Damon Runyan I used to talk of half a yard. I'm not sure what it meant. Nor did anyone else, I think.

With this new blog (which I like) why isn't the default skip 10, then, Mittfh?