Speaker Week Day Two.

Eddie Mair | 10:45 UK time, Tuesday, 16 June 2009

Only MPs can vote for a Speaker of the House of Commons, but here at PM, we're offering you the chance to vote for the best ideas on cleaning up public life and restoring faith in politics.

We're calling it Speaker Week.

We've asked four people - none of them politicians - to put forward their personal manifestos for change. You can hear them on consecutive nights, and on Friday they'll debate each other.

Then you'll be able to vote by phone for the person whose ideas you like best.

Our second guest in this Speaker Week is:

alkwords.jpg

A L Kennedy.

Comments

• 1. At 12:11pm on 16 Jun 2009, steelpulse wrote:

Speaker Week yet "No comment from Clarence House" heard on my radio this a.m.

That makes a change, I disloyally thought and the architect named Rogers? lol

I thought this morning - those really running for the Speaker gig - we are limted by those we vote in as MoPs. The men and women there in the House of Commons. Not convinced with the applicants and PMs take does help a bit.

I must admit, Eddie - with the comments on a construction in Chelsea - I am with the architect on that one.

How can you not realise that some personal opinions expressed by people have a profound affect on so many others? Silence is an option. "No comment from Clarence House" See - I was right - it is.

Amongst all the seeming "sorrys" heard today - I had the first name Anthony run by me just now.

I thought "Ah -so?" in the old Kenneth Williams as an Oriental Fu Manchu like villain in "Round The Horne" radio progs and such like.

But say someone spoke and cost you many months work because of their influence. Many years work perhaps. And if they find out there comment was misplaced - talking is an option too.

No offence but I asure you it was "Ah-so?" I muttered.

Honest. lol

• 2. At 2:14pm on 16 Jun 2009, vainly_here wrote:

I didn't like the sound of that architect on "Today." He was far too full of himself.

• 3. At 5:58pm on 16 Jun 2009, needsanewnickname wrote:

The thing is, Eddie, will the phone number be a free one?

Or will it be 'calls will be charged at £1 [a minute]', in which case I take it you'll be naming a cat for Blue Peter at the same time??

• 4. At 09:45am on 17 Jun 2009, needsanewnickname wrote:

Another ex-soldier, Paddy Ashdown, on today's 'Midweek', said much the same as Tim Collins: that MPs go from school to university to the House with scarcely a breath of the Real World in between (to paraphrase, of course).

Non-serious idea: perhaps all MPs should have to take a gap year and do some 'ordinary' jobs to qualify.

Of course, there aren't that many jobs going these days, so maybe they could sign on?

They could pay back their loans from the University of Life out of their expenses later...

;o)

• 5. At 2:54pm on 17 Jun 2009, U12196018 wrote:

Frances O - Just because both Tim Collins and Paddy Ashdown say it, doesn't necessarily make it true. I suspect that that the proportion of MPs going from University to the House without a decent spell in other employment is extremely small.

• 6. At 4:29pm on 17 Jun 2009, Chris Ghoti wrote:

TIH @ 5, I wonder slightly how many go from university into House of Commons/political party occupations, though. I'm sure that some of them must.

What were the jobs-in-the-real-world held by Tony Blair and Gordon Brown before they became politicians, can anyone tell me off-hand? I know that Thatcher worked for an ice-cream company after she took her degree; how about other Prime Ministers since the war -- what were they doing with their days after they finished with full-time education?

• 7. At 6:55pm on 17 Jun 2009, luckyukulele wrote:

A.L. Kennedy's contribution/manifesto this week was ill-informed, purile nonsense. It wasn't funny, ironic or satirical. OK people are rightly angry about those politicians that have fiddled their expenses - but does she have to seek to appeal to people by reflecting those that would slag off all politicians. Let's get things in proportion a little and hope that the pm audience reject the childish rant of someone that clearly has no respect for politics or politicians.