Good morning.

Eddie Mair | 05:35 UK time, Saturday, 27 June 2009

If you want to let us know what happened during the great iPM radio experiement...drop us an email to iPM@bbc.co.uk.

If you missed it - you can still podcast the show. You don't need a pod. Click here.

Hint - it's in the last 5 minutes of the programme.

Comments

• 1. At 07:55am on 27 Jun 2009, Big Sister wrote:

I heard the experiment, Eddie. Your kettle is as loud as mine! So my thoughts were these: "That's a very loud kettle!" followed by "I need to go to the loo"* and finally "Where are the tea bags?"

Hardly groundbreaking, but entirely genuine. Aren't you glad you asked? ;o)

[*This fits in very neatly with the theory that the sound of water (in this case, bubbling in the kettle) tends to stimulate people's bladder.]

• 2. At 08:07am on 27 Jun 2009, eddiemair wrote:

Thrilled to hear all that!

• 3. At 08:16am on 27 Jun 2009, Big Sister wrote:

Hope it didn't put you off your early morning cuppa, Eddie!

Enjoy your weekend.

• 4. At 09:09am on 27 Jun 2009, Fearless Fred wrote:

Sorry, Eddie, I missed it (still catching up on sleep from traveling back from hols yesterday). Will try to listen again (or should that be listen for the first time???) a little later ;-)

• 5. At 12:25pm on 27 Jun 2009, steelpulse wrote:

Fascinating.

A "watched" kettle is not meant to boil ever but it proves a "listened to" kettle does - boil.

As for the accent holding you back - so far this month I have watched body size, gender, height and someones religion being sneered at an that is by the so called London centric Media elite.

I love that continuity announcer with a West Indian accent but he encountered bovver too didn't he?

It should - accent I mean - hold you back but then I do not decide anything.

• 6. At 12:26pm on 27 Jun 2009, steelpulse wrote:

Oops!

It should NOT hold you back! lol

• 7. At 1:36pm on 27 Jun 2009, Wilbertha wrote:

I wondered how people who had just tuned in would react. Would they think their radios had 'gone funny'? Would they phone the BBC to find out what was going on? Would the BBC switchboard be jammed? Or would the BBC phone-answerers be boiling their own kettle and ignoring the phones? I had to be up ten minutes later so I could get over the to police station to hand in a wallet I'd found the evening before. The police station had been closed when I tried to hand it in last night. Was the wallet-losing gentleman enjoying a cup of tea, or worrying ? Hopefully he's enjoying his tea now as the police phoned half an hour ago to sat he'd been in to pick it up.

• 8. At 1:49pm on 27 Jun 2009, funnyJoedunn wrote:

I wonder what Michael Jackson fanatics would make of Colin Pillinger and being yourself.

How absolutely ludacris and contemptible it would seem if someone like Colin were to embark on a head transplant to further his work.

But then, Colin probably has something worthwhile and beneficial to contribute to society apart from unreality.

As regards his accent...what accent?

Very rounded inteligent un-paranoid human being.

Have you descaled that Kettle recently?

• 9. At 9:47pm on 27 Jun 2009, Little Red wrote:

I "listened again" at about 9am having already had my morning cuppa (coffee for me). But my thoughts were:
    "what a strange sounding kettle" then once it had been going a while "shall I have another cup of coffee and piece of toast?" closely followed by "why so many ants?" (my kettle was covered), followed by "toast and espresso then". then once toast was complete and espresso maker was espresso-ing "how long does the PM kettle take to boil?!"

• 10. At 10:17pm on 27 Jun 2009, U14049770 wrote:

You boil the kettle for instant coffee?

Don't you know there's a planet to save.

• 11. At 10:19pm on 27 Jun 2009, U14049770 wrote:

But talking of slow, the BBC sites, alone, on my machine, seem to be waiting for the code writers to dream up the next step.

• 12. At 00:37am on 28 Jun 2009, jonnie wrote:

Steelpulse, the continuity announcer is neil Nunes - fabulous voice.

Instant coffee should not have boiling water but ideally around 87 degrees.

The kettle was great. Interesting to hear the dynamic sound change when you click through the seconds of the podcast.

• 13. At 01:00am on 28 Jun 2009, Chris Ghoti wrote:

jonnie @ 12, I know people who put the milk in first when they make instant coffee so that the instant granules won't be heated too much.

If I do that with my powdered instant it doesn't dissolve properly.

• 14. At 01:19am on 28 Jun 2009, U14049770 wrote:

You take milk with your coffee? What about the calves? Add cold water. Coffee luxurious acceptability depends largely on getting the temperature right. Instant dissolves in stone cold water. Call your yesterday's cold coffee 'Iced Coffee' and enjoy.

• 15. At 09:48am on 28 Jun 2009, NJH wrote:

Prayer on the NHS?
    Why not offer astrology or witchcraft on the NHS?
    There is absolutely not evidence that prayer is an efficatious treatment. It is a total waste of tax payers money to have highly trained doctors offer and practise prayer. If they want to do that on their own time let them but to offer it to patients is insulting.

• 16. At 10:33am on 28 Jun 2009, T8-eh-T8 wrote:

#15

I agree with Terry Sanderson, president of the National Secular Society:

"I think we should be very clear that patients should have to ask for this, not offered it."

Plus of course any patient asked about spiritual matters can always be referred to the chaplaincy service.

I would think it wrong for a patient to ask a doctor to pray for them and for the doctor to refuse on the grounds of NHS regulations.

As for the benfits of prayer, setting aside religious belief, I can see it as having a cathartic or meditative benefit, as part of an holistic approach. Particularly where the patient is intensly devout.

But do we really need more rules telling people what they can and cannot say?

• 17. At 12:11pm on 28 Jun 2009, funnyJoedunn wrote:

T8 (16)

For me its not what people might of might not be allowed to say or do.

For me it is about understanding the likely and perhaps unlikely consequences of ones actions.

I believe patients should be made aware that they have an option to 'ask' for prayer as, they already have the right to have there personal faith convictions taken account of in any offered treatment by the NHS.

However, in offering any service or treatment to any patient, professionals need to have a serious understanding of likely benefits and detriments to individual patients.

For instance, an obvious such case may be, if a person is mentally ill partly due to a religion based cause, it might be unwise to furnish and option of prayer to such a patient. On the other hand the same patient may benefit from such an exercise, (as there is plenty of anecdotal medical evidence in the delivery of mental services that a religious faith is often an enhancement to treatment rather than a hindrance).

So it seems such exercises are very individual and is probably more to do with the individual doctor/patient relationship. Perhaps it would be an area for the medical profession and chaplaincy service to explore more fully?

• 18. At 12:55pm on 28 Jun 2009, Big Sister wrote:

Joe (17) Thanks for the thoughtful post, which has given me much food for thought.

• 19. At 5:27pm on 28 Jun 2009, Chris Ghoti wrote:

Heh! When I had my gall-bladder out, I went into hospital on a Sunday, and someone told the clerics of my local church that I was due to have the operation the following afternoon and that was why I hadn't shown up at a service.

Then for some reason the hospital moved the op forward by a few hours to the morning.

The result was that my parish priest, who had to go in to the hospital anyway that Monday for somebody else, though he would come along and offer me some comfort before I went in for surgery, and by the time he got there I had been operated on and was back in the ward. I came to myself from a brief doze and found a dog-collared man kneeling in prayer by my bed. For a few confused seconds I thought I must be being thought to be in mortal danger and in need of earnest prayer.

I liked the bloke well enough, but I hadn't actually *asked* to be prayed over...

• 20. At 8:17pm on 28 Jun 2009, annasee wrote:

Chris G - I'm a bit amazed that the chaplain was praying over you without asking. That was a bit insensitive - you could have had a heart attack in fright at seeing him there!

When my mum had her recent 4-way heart bypass in NZ, the hosp chaplain called by a lot, but didn't do any praying (since she had made it clear she had no religious faith) until the very last evening before the op. The he came to see her to wish her luck (it was very risky with a 15% chance of not coming through), & apparently they (including the other patient in the cubicle) decided a little prayer "for insurance purposes" wouldn't do any harm. It was in the nature of a meditation and thanksgiving that their lives were of importance to so many other people, and that there were so many people wishing her well. I'm sure it was helpful.

But as to whether a doctor should be offering to pray? I think I'd be a bit uneasy. Like when Tony Blair started talking about his faith. I'd prefer to think a Dr was just using his professional skills and technique to heal me. Not any beliefs he may or may not have. I don't want to know about that. Chaplain yes, it's his job.

• 21. At 10:41pm on 28 Jun 2009, U12196018 wrote:

Sorry, but this is a really stupid discussion topic. If someone thinks that they can do some good by going off and praying for someone, then why don't they just go off and do it. Why on earth do they think seeking permission to do it is necessary?

If permission is necessary then THEY SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT!

I'd be a lot happier if a doctor was relying on his skills to help me, than on intervention from his invisible friend.

• 22. At 00:20am on 29 Jun 2009, Chris Ghoti wrote:

TIH and annasee, I agree that it seems to me to be the business of a docter or surgeon to get on with the medical, body stuff and leave the spiritual, soul business to the people whose business it is. They wouldn't offer to do his/her job, after all.

(The preach in my case was a parish priest not a hospital chaplain, BTW.)

• 23. At 01:17am on 29 Jun 2009, U14049770 wrote:

If Christ forgave all our sins what difference would it make to the economic question, who does what for how much and for whom.

We'd probably abolish prisons, but that we can do anyway.