The Beach.

Eddie Mair | 04:41 UK time, Friday, 15 May 2009

beach11.JPG

Welcome to the Beach. The off topic place for froggers and peeps to be frivolous, have fun or just to chill out. The weather is always perfect, the sea is never cold and the breeze always warm and gentle, ideal for blowing away the woes of RL and flying kites. The company is always engaging and there is usually a something going on at 'The Nick Clarke' bar where tipples and nibbles can also be had. There are hammocks to laze in, a dog walking area and even a naughty step for those that want to self administer mild punishment! Whether it is a herd of camels wandering by, parties or semi organised beach games and activities there is always something to watch or join in with, so why not come and join us?

All we ask is that you be nice to everyone.

Comments

• 1. At 05:27am on 15 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

Morning Froggers, Peeps, Frogging Peeps and Peeps-a-Frogging!

Coffee and toast with a selection of preserves will be served shortly!

Frances O, calling Frances O....son #3 has been given the list of sites in Sydney you want photographed. I can't promise anything, but fingers crossed.

• 2. At 08:23am on 15 May 2009, gossipmistress wrote:

Morning DiY! Where's the promised breakfast? I'm Starving!

• 3. At 08:47am on 15 May 2009, Big Sister wrote:

Morning, DiY, morning GM!

OJ and croissants on the Bar. Or even the Bra (as I originally typed).

Back to RL.

• 4. At 08:59am on 15 May 2009, Wonko wrote:

Morning all, lovely fresh Beach.

Time for a cup of coffee I think...

• 5. At 09:22am on 15 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Morning everyone! Lovely beach photo - Septic, is that another one of yours?

DiY: does your selection of 'preserves' include Vegemite?

Time for a swim!

• 6. At 09:28am on 15 May 2009, The Wrath Is Come wrote:

Happy Friday Froggers, Peeps, Frogging Peeps and Peeps-a-Frogging.

What a nice pic - cheered me up no end on this grey morning.

A nice strong coffee for me please absolutely shattered today - and it's my tin (tenth) anniversary today!

Anyone for volleyball?

• 7. At 09:28am on 15 May 2009, copperTrixie wrote:

Good morning! Lovely coffee aroma, I'm ready for this one!

Does anyone fancy kedgeree?

• 8. At 09:32am on 15 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Love kedgeree copperTrixie, yes please. What kind of fish do you use?

• 9. At 09:32am on 15 May 2009, copperTrixie wrote:

smoked haddock. lovely!

• 10. At 09:33am on 15 May 2009, jonnie wrote:

Mmmm kedgeree, Thanks copperTrixie ;-)

• 11. At 09:36am on 15 May 2009, Izzy_T-Me wrote:

Congrats TWIC, hope you have a nice day. How's the patient?

I'll just grab a croissant (thanks BS) and hie myself back to the revision dune - only two more to go and I'll have finished - woo hoo!!

btw - thanks to Fifi for the welcome back, I shouldn't really be here (exams), but I got severely distracted yesterday!

• 12. At 09:38am on 15 May 2009, U13928940 wrote:

What a lovely spread (of food!). Just what I need to start the day. Thanks!

• 13. At 09:39am on 15 May 2009, The Wrath Is Come wrote:

Thanks Izzy_T-Me, the patient is fine the Pox have all gone dark so we're on the home straight.

• 14. At 09:43am on 15 May 2009, Septic wrote:

Lady Sue (5) Yup, another pic from my beach collection. It's Port Erin again.

• 15. At 09:44am on 15 May 2009, Anne P. wrote:

copperTrixie, you're right. I tried it with smoked cod earlier this week and it wasn't nearly as nice as haddock.

• 16. At 09:48am on 15 May 2009, copperTrixie wrote:

I LOVE kedgeree but don't have it half as much as I should do! Smoked haddock has a good flavour for it. I found other fish was lost with the other flavours.

• 17. At 09:57am on 15 May 2009, Wonko wrote:

Happy Anniversary TWIC, are we going to open a bottle of something later to celebrate?

• 18. At 10:07am on 15 May 2009, U12196018 wrote:

Wonko - As it is TWIC's tenth, I think he's expecting us to give him a few 'tins'!

• 19. At 10:39am on 15 May 2009, Septic wrote:

Just read Eddies intro above... I was remember being told at school that the collective noun for camels was a flock.

• 20. At 10:50am on 15 May 2009, The Wrath Is Come wrote:

Horse - Wonko...

Tins, bottles I'm not fussy. Imbibing is the main objective the "vessel" is unimportant.

(can you get Champers in tins?)

• 21. At 10:54am on 15 May 2009, Stewart_M wrote:

Septic,

Goggleing tells me its a Decanter of Deans but no mention of MP's

• 22. At 10:55am on 15 May 2009, Stewart_M wrote:

Saame webpage suggests a babble of Linguists but I always thought liguists were cunning.

Who is going to join me ont' step?

• 23. At 10:56am on 15 May 2009, U12196018 wrote:

Frances O - Re Bonny Black Hare.

(I'll also post this on the last beach as that is where you asked the question.)

Yes, there is a tune and I've known it since University days. There were quite a lot of students from Lancashire and Yorkshire here at that time and I learnt it from them.

There are a few versions but this is the one I know as sung by Fairport Convention

It comes into my head every year as Daughter No.1 was born on 14th May!

• 24. At 11:01am on 15 May 2009, U12196018 wrote:

TWIC (20) - 'Champers in tins' - don't think so.
    But you can get champ sealed in plastic in Sainsbury's!

• 25. At 11:46am on 15 May 2009, The Wrath Is Come wrote:

Horsey what about a Deacanter of champers then?

Stewart M - don't start that again, we had enough last week! :-))

• 26. At 12:22pm on 15 May 2009, U13858135 wrote:

Champagne sounds good to me

• 27. At 12:51pm on 15 May 2009, Anne P. wrote:

AyNonnyMouse, welcome to the beach. Don't think I've seen you here before. There are drinks at the bar, and the Friday party will start later. How much later probably depends on what sort of day we all have. Now, what kind of drink do you prefer?

• 28. At 12:54pm on 15 May 2009, Stewart_M wrote:

Wrath, Sorry! I was trying to keep off the step.

• 29. At 12:55pm on 15 May 2009, needsanewnickname wrote:

DI! Calling DI!!!!!

Thank you so much, and thank son 3!

You're a bonza mate.

• 30. At 1:02pm on 15 May 2009, Wonko wrote:

Look what I've found washed up on the Beach. A crate full of six pack tinnies of champagne! I'll put them on ice for later.

• 31. At 1:03pm on 15 May 2009, Izzy_T-Me wrote:

Stewart (28) you nearly blew it on the Hugh thread, but horse beat you to it. I guess he's *sings* there (where?) there on the step right now, a little horse with clogs on.... la la la la

Can you tell the revision is beginning to addle my brain........?

• 32. At 1:04pm on 15 May 2009, U13858135 wrote:

Anne @27 - Anonymity didn't suit me!

• 33. At 1:04pm on 15 May 2009, U13858135 wrote:

So

• 34. At 1:05pm on 15 May 2009, needsanewnickname wrote:

And thanks, too, to the Horse!

• 35. At 1:05pm on 15 May 2009, U13858135 wrote:

I'll

• 36. At 1:05pm on 15 May 2009, U13858135 wrote:

just think of a new name.

• 37. At 1:10pm on 15 May 2009, Izzy_T-Me wrote:

Seen by a fellow student on the way in to uni earlier...

...a great delivery van this morning on the way to uni, "Are you in the Sh*t? Flowers say it all!"

Couldn't make it up!

• 38. At 1:20pm on 15 May 2009, Stewart_M wrote:

DeedPoll, what was wrong with your old name?

• 39. At 1:24pm on 15 May 2009, Stewart_M wrote:

Izzy

I have an photos of an Undertakers with the slogan.

"We are the last to let you down"

• 40. At 1:50pm on 15 May 2009, Izzy_T-Me wrote:

Stewart (39) Fab!

• 41. At 2:27pm on 15 May 2009, U13858135 wrote:

Maybe not.

• 42. At 3:06pm on 15 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Izzy and Stewart, recently seen on a car bumper:

"The meek wont want it".

• 43. At 3:28pm on 15 May 2009, Izzy_T-Me wrote:

Lol Sue!

• 44. At 3:35pm on 15 May 2009, U12196018 wrote:

There is a firm of undertakers here and their hearse and cars registration numbers start DIG . . . . I kid you not!

• 45. At 3:57pm on 15 May 2009, Septic wrote:

Wow.. what a day! Picture on the beach and my joke on the newsletter!

Can it get any better? I'm off to buy a lottery ticket.........

• 46. At 4:14pm on 15 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Septic, that's great. I'm yet to get today's newsletter but I look forward to your joke.

Where I lived in Surrey there was an undertakers that used to decorate their front garden Christmas tree with lots of tags with the names of everyone they'd buried that year. I thought it a tad macabre.

• 47. At 4:18pm on 15 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Yooo Hooo Sid! Here's the promised Pimms. Anyone else care to partake? It is Friday after all.

• 48. At 4:26pm on 15 May 2009, Wonko wrote:

• 49. At 4:29pm on 15 May 2009, Sid wrote:

Thanks Lady Sue - I'm glad you liked my Spoonerism. Mmmm, Pimms ...

• 50. At 4:42pm on 15 May 2009, U12196018 wrote:

Ah Sponerisms - love them

In RL here, it's roaring with pain.

• 51. At 5:30pm on 15 May 2009, The Wrath Is Come wrote:

Can I have a Pimms to go with my tin of champers?

• 52. At 6:05pm on 15 May 2009, pmmolly wrote:

Hi everyone!!
    Anyone care for a little something before supper?

What have you got for us tonight, Wonko? mmm! smells good...!

Nice picture, septic. You must hsve a veritable portfolio by now!
    Keep them coming!

Right- ''spoonerisms'', is it tonight?

• 53. At 6:13pm on 15 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Horse, you'd have loved Sid's - see yesterday's Nostalgic Glass Box.

• 54. At 6:47pm on 15 May 2009, Stewart_M wrote:

Course its a dying trade being an undertaker.

I'll get me coat

• 55. At 7:27pm on 15 May 2009, Stewart_M wrote:

izzy, photo on the book of faces. Got the slogan a little wrong but the principle the same.

• 56. At 7:45pm on 15 May 2009, Sid wrote:

Lady Sue - you fill my soul with hope.

• 57. At 11:36pm on 15 May 2009, gossipmistress wrote:

Were you typing from the Naughty step Sid?

Well sorry I never made it back fro breakfast. Has all the champers gone?

• 58. At 11:41pm on 15 May 2009, Sid wrote:

There's always champers on the naughty step ... come a sit over here!

• 59. At 04:20am on 16 May 2009, U12196018 wrote:

Lady Sue (53) Yes, I saw his comment about the shining wit. It went about 3 ft above the merkan's head.

• 60. At 09:53am on 16 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Good morning everyone! So glad to be on the gloriously sunny beach with tropical breakfast laid out, coffee on and the the waft of croissants coming from the oven, all served with bucks fizz for the decadent. Much better than RL where it promises to lash rain and blow gales until at least Monday.

Sid: not sure whether to be flattered or suggest washing your mouth with soap! Suspect the lather.

You are an early Horse this morning. Only 3ft? A near hit.

• 61. At 10:11am on 16 May 2009, Anne P. wrote:

Morning all, I have decided in the light of an early morning programme on Radio 4 that it is time to declutter my life.

Accordingly this evening I shall be building a large bonfire on the beach and placing on it a series of pieces of paper each of which will carry the name of a person or activity to be consigned to perdition.

(Decluttering in RL may take a little longer)

Meanwhile fresh tea and coffee on the bar. I've plugged the toaster into the solar power and am happy to be able to provide lashings of organic butter, Cornish honey and homemade preserves to accompany.

Do join me at the bonfire later.

• 62. At 10:20am on 16 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Anne, will look forward to bonfire later.

At the risk of "cluttering" the beach with RL: I've posted this elsewhere and hope my fellow froggers wont mind me posting it again but I would like to know who the offending MP was:

Did anyone happen to see 'Have I Got News For You' last night? An MP, whose name escapes me, was shown on a previous episode of the programme being quizzed by Ian Hislop over his seven homes and 'second' home in London. He very smugly said it (or perhaps all?) was being subsidised by the MP expenses system and how wonderful it was. The programme then cut to his comments last week where he appeared rather more subdued (grey, in fact) proclaiming very differently. I'm wondering whether this piece of footage might be used during any investigation into his "making a mistake" and "keeping within the rules". Who was it? His head should definitely roll.

• 63. At 10:47am on 16 May 2009, U12196018 wrote:

Alan Duncan - Tory.

• 64. At 10:53am on 16 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Horse - thanks! Boy, is he in trouble!

• 65. At 11:15am on 16 May 2009, U13928940 wrote:

Lady Sue (#62/64) and Horse (#63) He can hardly say that he hadn't thought about how "great" the system was, seeing how he made those statements before. What a shame (tongue firmly in cheek!)

• 66. At 11:23am on 16 May 2009, U13928940 wrote:

Whoo hoo!!! Five in a row on the recent comments!!!!!

Sorry, I restrain my over-enthusiastic exclamation marks in future :-)

• 67. At 11:50am on 16 May 2009, Anne P. wrote:

Good grief!

*puts pedant hat on*

From the BBC main page advertising help with schoolwork:

"There's plenty more tips online"

and then they wonder why the children can't write grammatical sentences....

*takes off pedant hat and retires to the shade of the palm grove to recover*

• 68. At 11:54am on 16 May 2009, needsanewnickname wrote:

Careful, Sid. You can be modded for Spoonerism. As I have found.

• 69. At 1:01pm on 16 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

(65) Jim, did you see him in action? S-m-u-g doesn't even come near. Hoist by his own (probably paid for under expenses) petard. I look forward to seeing him trying to wriggle out of that one.

Horse: did you note on another thread that, due to your Herculean efforts, a certain blogger has been (quite rightly) banned from making comments here? He can read them but not post anything.

Result.

• 70. At 1:24pm on 16 May 2009, needsanewnickname wrote:

I know, Lady Sue. I'm fed up with snittiness. It has no place on the Beach.

Sadly, being banned - if this is so, rather than the claim being made as just another attempt to get attention - doesn't mean that anyone can't trawl through a thread in the hope of getting a mention.

So let's talk about something interesting.

Sue, Horsey, did you see last night's BBC4 programme on music fom Norn Irn? I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• 71. At 1:50pm on 16 May 2009, nikki noodle wrote:

also, F_O that radio four drama last afternoon about Goats!!?

It was one of the best:
    So much so, that I am looking into the caprine market - if that is that the right adjective :/

• 72. At 2:05pm on 16 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Frances - thanks for yours. Agree, much more fun to talk about fun things.

Sadly I don't get BBC4 so missed the programme. Also missed the drama about goats.

Ah well, fiddle de de, a glorious day on the beach and I'm off for a swim and then hoping for an early Pimms. Anyone?

• 73. At 2:22pm on 16 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Not sure if this will work but the aforementioned Alan Duncan major "it was all a mistake" gaff has been posted on UTube:

• 74. At 2:23pm on 16 May 2009, Gillianian wrote:

Frances O (70) I watched the programme, too. I've never heard Van Morrison say so much! He's never been noted for his rapport with the audience, but then why bother to speak when you can sing like him?!

Ahhh...Pimms...lovely ;o)

• 75. At 3:06pm on 16 May 2009, Sid wrote:

caprine - good word, n_n ... you could even use capricious if you wanted (both from Latin for goat - caper) - but then you'd run the risk of sounding like a well-known economics expert/bore who frequents these parts ...

• 76. At 3:50pm on 16 May 2009, Selkius_Piscinus wrote:

I won't explain why because it is too long a story, but I am reading *She and Allan* today, and have just read a passage in which they are pursuing some cannibalistic raiders and find the bad hats' first camp, where "they had made a fire and eaten on of the herd of farm goats which they had driven away with them, although they had left the cattle, I suppose because goats are docile and travel well."

GOATS? DOCILE?

Excuse my shouting but really!

• 77. At 4:23pm on 16 May 2009, Stewart_M wrote:

Sue does the bbc iPlayer thingumyjig not work for you? I save my HIGNFY till the extended edition then usuallyforget and have to iPlayer it anyway. But I shall look out for that aforementioned gaffe with relish..

• 78. At 4:49pm on 16 May 2009, Izzy_T-Me wrote:

Thanks Stewart, for the photo - great, a real laugh!

• 79. At 4:53pm on 16 May 2009, Stewart_M wrote:

Izzy coul dit be an MP slogan?

• 80. At 5:48pm on 16 May 2009, nikki noodle wrote:

did you say pimms, Gillian?!!

mmmmm

• 81. At 6:01pm on 16 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Stewart: sadly I can't seem to get the BBC iplayer thinggy to work because I am out of the jurisdiction (living in Ireland). More than a gaffe - it's priceless and bound to mean his head will roll (as should so many others!).

nikki - gutted 'our' question didn't make the iPM opinion poll, though very much enjoyed the programme. They're a busy bunch the PM/iPM team - talk about multi-tasking. Don't know how they managed last week.

Anyway - winning question about knowing neighbours. I can sort of see it as a 'good' question but, living where I do, I could tell you the names, dates of birth, married/single/children/dogs/chickens, favourite drink, car + number plate... you name it for neighbours for five miles (if not more) around - so - the question is a 'non-starter' for me.

Would like to pose that the reason my friends across the water don't know their neighbours is all to do with invasions. Before I begin to bore you all silly with my own personal philosophy on this... time for a well-earned G&T.

• 82. At 08:50am on 17 May 2009, Stewart_M wrote:

Sue that is probably a benEfit of not living in a Uk town. We know and talk to the three houses around us but when you cross the cul de sac we barely know them.

Coffee and croissants on.

• 83. At 08:59am on 17 May 2009, Anne P. wrote:

Thanks Stewart, just what I need.

Am sitting about while a borrowed laptop not used for months goes though about a million updates - fingers crossed it still works at the end of it.

Meanwhile I think I will just take a gentle stroll along the water's edge and get some of that vitamin D we are apparently all short of ( and no wonder looking at the sky here this morning).

• 84. At 09:19am on 17 May 2009, Big Sister wrote:

(Dances onto Beach, fiddling like a maniac)

......"I'm in love with a fairytale, Even though it hurts ....."

(dances off, singing.)

• 85. At 09:45am on 17 May 2009, Stewart_M wrote:

I get told of for fiddling with my maniac

• 86. At 10:23am on 17 May 2009, Stewart_M wrote:

Got to post to break a full house

• 87. At 10:57am on 17 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Morning everyone - lovely and sunny here on the beach this morning (unlike RL).

Stewart, coffee would be lovely, thankyou. I know what you mean about living in a UK town but, come to think of it, when I lived in Surrey I did know most of the neighbours. Think they mentioned having children and dogs helping and that must explain it.

• 88. At 11:01am on 17 May 2009, Sid wrote:

Did someone say Pimms?

Oh - yesterday ...

• 89. At 11:14am on 17 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Sid, isn't it a tad early for Pimms?

How about some Bucks Fizz instead?

• 90. At 12:02pm on 17 May 2009, needsanewnickname wrote:

Sue, just a thought, re 'invasions': where I live all are invaders, from the Saxons who displaced the Britons* to the people who can afford to buy in comparison to the people who were born here.

Ireland's had its invasions, too, as we know.

* a quick note to the Little People: Of course you were here first

• 91. At 12:03pm on 17 May 2009, needsanewnickname wrote:

or even 'in comparison'.

• 92. At 12:26pm on 17 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Good Morning Frances. My "invasion" theory goes like this.

In Oz people chat to each other all the time and seem to help each other out spontaneously, eg. if you saw a neighbour moving in, you would introduce yourself and offer to help with the huge sofa they were attempting to lift. Without wishing to offend any of my friends across the water, when I first came to England I found that if, eg. I attempted to start up a conversation over the size/colour of the tomatoes in the supermarket with a stranger, instead of getting a comment of some kind back, I would be met with a blank, rather alarmed stare.

The attitude in Oz was built on the backs of immigrants who had to learn a whole different way of life, eg. with the topsy turvy world of farming that confronted them. As new people arrived it became natural to offer assistance, "I'll help you today and perhaps you might help me tomorrow". This attitude continued and developed into making Oz a really very friendly place for newcomers and visitors (I'm sure DiY will support this).

I am generalising of course and I'm not saying this doesn't happen in England but by comparison, the English are wary of newcomers - suspect this comes from a history of invasions. People are comfortable living within their own groups of similar types and a newcomer may pose a potential threat. Hence while they may not be not "hostile" to the newcomer they are rather wary. This is broken down if there are children or dogs or some other common element that breaks through a "suspicion" barrier.

My (I hope not offensive) theory is why I think many people living there simply do not know their neighbours.

My lovely English friends have heard my theory and say it's a load of rot and that in the countryside there it is just as I describe in Oz. Perhaps the Poll will give some insight into whether there is a city/town/village difference.

BTW: by comparison, the Irish are incredibly friendly on first acquaintance, chat away in buses, in the shops and banks, that kind of thing but it is still rare to be invited back into someone's home for a meal/drink - which would be commonplace in Oz. All the socialising here is done either at Church or in the pub - I don't attend either so sadly miss out.

• 93. At 12:26pm on 17 May 2009, nikki noodle wrote:

Lady Sue, if you lived next door to me, i am sure I would know you.

(hang on....)

(no, that's going to miss the point, isnt it? I already *do* know you to type to....)

What I meant was, that if you lived near here, people nearby would soon get to know who you are....

budge up, whoever's in it I need to sit in that hammock for a bit

• 94. At 12:28pm on 17 May 2009, nikki noodle wrote:

Lady Sue wrote @87
    " Big Sis: v. funny! I didn't see it but I can now imagine. Where did the UK entrant come? "

ah, I know this one: if they entered correctly, they came in at Thanet, with fire, and of course, the sword
    ;p

• 95. At 12:30pm on 17 May 2009, nikki noodle wrote:

big sis @84: singing and fiddling whilst you dance is some feet

• 96. At 12:30pm on 17 May 2009, nikki noodle wrote:

hmmm, Sid, I think you have the right idea.....

• 97. At 12:31pm on 17 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

nikki - I hope if I lived near you, you might be kind enough to introduce me. Otherwise I might just appear to be that rather loud Ozzie who talks to people in the street. ;)

• 98. At 12:34pm on 17 May 2009, nikki noodle wrote:

did I mention the food??!

I FORGOT TO MENTION THE FOOD!!!!

there's food, guys; plates and stacks of it, in the NCM bar, as a sort of happy May 17th type celebration.

I dun a carvery roast lamb, a veggie nut roast, a salmon and dill platter, barbeque ribs, goat curry (dont ask), and chips.
    for starters.

Cos there is desserts over *there* ....

• 99. At 12:39pm on 17 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

nikki - you've made me hungry! All looks great thanks.

Time to open the cool, crisp Chardonnay?

• 100. At 12:39pm on 17 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

I win the beach cricket! Hurrah!

• 101. At 1:40pm on 17 May 2009, Anne P. wrote:

And here Lady Sue is your trophy - a lovely sea urchin case set atop a piece of well-worn driftwood.

• 102. At 2:12pm on 17 May 2009, Anne P. wrote:

Can I suggest a little gentle beachcombing as a good way to pass a Sunday on the sand? We could judge the best finds at around Pimms o'clock.

• 103. At 2:19pm on 17 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Anne: thank you for my trophy. Lovely. Will take pride of place - perhaps I could leave it on the bar for next week's winner?

Agree some gentle beachcombing is a good idea. Let's see who comes up with what. Time for a swim.

• 104. At 2:27pm on 17 May 2009, RxKaren wrote:

Hello All - just back from First Aid duty. It rained solidly for the 3 hours we were out with no cover but brightened up when the duty ended. Still, the new hi-vis waterproofs are waterproof. I'll just dry mine on this palm tree if I may.

Anyone care to join me with a warming cuppa?

• 105. At 3:20pm on 17 May 2009, Selkius_Piscinus wrote:

nikki noodle (post 94), you are an obstinate historian and I claim my five pounds.

• 106. At 5:20pm on 17 May 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

Wow, it really is raining in St Albans!

• 107. At 5:25pm on 17 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

• 108. At 5:51pm on 17 May 2009, Anne P. wrote:

David, why on earth refer Lady Sue when she merely commended you for being able to post something straightforward and non-offensive on a beach you claimed not to be able to access? Posting with the tongue slightly in cheek is not trolling.

• 109. At 6:22pm on 17 May 2009, Anne P. wrote:

Incidentally it's stopped raining here for a while at least. Now where are those entries for the beachcombing competition?

• 110. At 7:09pm on 17 May 2009, Fifi wrote:

Lady Sue (92) : I think it depends which part of the country you're in. Or even on the time of year. Examples:-

1. My pal and I go supermarket shopping together every week. We always have a huge laugh, and usually manage to leave the checkout staff giggling too.

2. In Cornwall at bank holiday weekend, nobody in the St Austell s/market would make eye contact, let alone talk to me, and in the village pub the bar man told our friends there was nobody in, even though we were the only people sitting there!

3. In my mum's town people talk to you even if they don't know you. It has a large % retired people, so perhaps they don't like to assume they don't know you, in case they've just forgotten...!

4. In the nearest city to me, with a large % immigrant workers, nobody in the s/market makes eye contact .. perhaps because there's no guarantee anyone you speak to will understand your language.

5. I was nervous going alone to a conference in Birmingham - yet between train and venue, people were smiley and friendly and positively lovely. As they often are in central London.

It's always tempting to generalise - and I'm sure there is much in what you say, Sue. But I keep finding that the friendliness patterns I think I've identified simply don't hold up!

;o) Fifi

• 111. At 7:26pm on 17 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Fifi, hi and yes, I have to agree it would depend on where you were and what time of year it was. As I said, I was generalising. It's by way of my trying to make sense of why, in England, people don't seem to know their neighbours - the nub of the iPM opinion poll question.

I hope you don't think I was being unfair or unduly harsh - not intended to offend, merely by way of observation. I do find that, when the sun shines, people seem so much happier and friendlier and that could also sum up a general difference.

Now back to the serious business of the Beach. How about some crisp, cool Chardonnay, a Pimms, or a G and T and whatever did you find while beachcombing?

I found a bottle with a message inside... can't quite read it without my specs. Can you see what it says?

• 112. At 8:09pm on 17 May 2009, Selkius_Piscinus wrote:

Lady Sue, I think your message says

HELP I AM BEING HELD PRISONER IN A BOTTLE FACTORY

• 113. At 8:11pm on 17 May 2009, Sid wrote:

Lady Sue @ 89

Oh I say! You and your naughty Spoonerisms!!

• 114. At 8:12pm on 17 May 2009, Anne P. wrote:

Sue, its not "a message in a bottle from a sailor on a south sea isle" is it? That was a Eurovision entry in the dark ages (Paddy O'c. could probably tell us when).

It was a comedy song about a girl who found the message only to discover it had been sent a hundred years before!

I can still remember the refrain so it had a good hook.

• 115. At 8:17pm on 17 May 2009, Sid wrote:

re desserts ...

There is a school where I do occasional supply work, where one teacher has a photo of a nomad family with the caption: "This boy lives with his family in the dessert."

Well, what would you do?

• 116. At 8:27pm on 17 May 2009, RxKaren wrote:

I'd have to correct it. It would bug me. There again, when I was much younger I used to have to correct the spelling, grammar and punctuation in my boyfriend's love letters to me before I could read them. I found a load in the loft last week - they still had the red ink on them.

• 117. At 8:33pm on 17 May 2009, Anne P. wrote:

RxK - did you return them to him and require him to write them out again?

Ah, the things we do when young!

• 118. At 8:38pm on 17 May 2009, RxKaren wrote:

On reflection his weren't too bad! I have known less able ones since...

I used to think that it was something strange about me but then a couple of friends at Uni admitted that they did or had done exactly the same thing. I felt slightly better about it then.

• 119. At 10:04pm on 17 May 2009, Fifi wrote:

rxKaren - I am scraping a living out of being just such a person. Being paid to read weird books and correct the spelling is not one of the few career options I remember being suggested at school.....

Nice tart merlot on the go here - hold out your glasses, you red-preferrers!

• 120. At 10:41pm on 17 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

(108) Thanks Anne. I can't imagine the post will stay modded for long. Pure folly on his part.

(112) Selkius - very good!

(113) Sid! Am shocked but most amused.

(119) Fifi, thanks but I'll stick to the white.

• 121. At 11:08pm on 17 May 2009, Sid wrote:

Merlot for me, please, Feefs ...

• 122. At 00:06am on 18 May 2009, Fifi wrote:

* glug glug glug *

Oh sorry Sid, you wanted some too?

* gliggity gliggity gliggle *

Thankfully there's a couple more bottles within reach!

Anyone else enjoying Gregory's Girl as much as I am?

• 123. At 07:23am on 18 May 2009, U13928940 wrote:

Morning all. I'm just setting up the beverages on the bar for those who want/need some this morning :-)

• 124. At 07:24am on 18 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

Morning Froggers!

Now back in blighty but totaly cream crack.... and I have to go to work.....s'not fare!

Anyhoo, lots of catching up to do, so cobbers, in the mean time here is some coffee and toast with a selection of marmalades!

• 125. At 08:00am on 18 May 2009, Anne P. wrote:

Welcome back DIY, we'll look forward to the accounts of your adventures and the holiday snaps when you've had time to get over the jet lag.

More strong coffee on the bar to help - or should I be offering you melatonin (is that before or after you travel I can't remember).

Anyhoo, another bright Monday on the beach - happy week everyone!

• 126. At 08:20am on 18 May 2009, Big Sister wrote:

G'Day, DiY, glad you made it back safely! And thanks for keeping us amused from afar. (Is Mrs. DiY still speaking to you after the affair of the photo, btw?)

Don't fall asleep over the wires!

• 127. At 08:27am on 18 May 2009, gossipmistress wrote:

Morning All and Welcome Back DiY!
    Just time for a quick cuppa in a hammock before RL steps in...

• 128. At 08:43am on 18 May 2009, Wonko wrote:

What ho, and welcome back DIY. I'll have some coffee, and a second helping of weekend too please...

• 129. At 08:51am on 18 May 2009, Sid wrote:

A pint of coffee for me, please ... I think I read somewhere that coffee counteracts the bad effects of red wine ...

And welcome back DIY!

• 130. At 09:12am on 18 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Morning everyone and welcome back DiY but where's the promised Vegemite?

• 131. At 09:30am on 18 May 2009, Big Sister wrote:

Lady Sue, you've just put me off my toast :(

• 132. At 09:33am on 18 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Big Sis! LOL. It's lifeblood to most Aussies. The one thing I travel with and seek out especially when I cross the border to stock up on things. Can never understand people wanting to have sweet things, like marmalade, for breakfast.

Now that I think of it... just popping down to the kitchen to make some hot toast.

• 133. At 10:00am on 18 May 2009, annasee wrote:

Sorry Lady sue, but it has to be NZ vegemite. That's definitely the best. Sadly in this country we can only get the Oz stuff, so every trip to NZ is the chance to stock up on the "real" stuff for us.

Did you ever try that other spread "promite"? LIke a less-strong vegemite, but strangely sweet. Whan I finally read the label, they've put sugar in it! Eeeeuch!

• 134. At 10:13am on 18 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

Lady_Sue 130, sitting on my kitchen worktop, I have brought you a tube of it back for you!

Wonko, are you still into Scouting?

If you contact me here, I can have a chat and find out where to post the goodies to both of you.

In the mean time I have also left a tube of Vegemite in the fridge at NC's just in case anyone wants to try it!

• 135. At 10:22am on 18 May 2009, Big Sister wrote:

Lady Sue, I don't have a sweet tooth, but I'm afraid Vegemite isn't for me - I'm a Marmite girl and the difference between the two is as wide as the distance between our respective birthplaces. It's strange - I thought (because antipodean friends assured me) I'd really like it, but I really don't.

Strange to say, I had marmite and cucumber for breakfast this morning, having run out of cereal ...

• 136. At 10:42am on 18 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

DiY: you are my hero! I've contacted you accordingly but think I sent an email in to your office generally, not specifically to you. I hope it filters through eventually. Great fun with the maps!

Big Sis: thank goodness you agree. There is definitely a difference. For years when people have visited here and requested tasting Vegemite (after that 'Land Down Under' song mentioned a Vegemite sandwich) many of them could not tell the difference so I insisted they had Marmite instead. Vegemite being so precious, ("Black Gold"), I now have a ban on anyone eating it if they do not have an Oz passport.

• 137. At 10:46am on 18 May 2009, The Wrath Is Come wrote:

Morning all and welcome back DIY I know how you feel I also am knac... exhausted.

Is there still coffee on the go?

• 138. At 10:47am on 18 May 2009, U13928940 wrote:

TWIC #137, I'll start another pot of coffee :-)

• 139. At 10:54am on 18 May 2009, Stewart_M wrote:

DIY, WAKE UP.

Jet lag is not an excuse the managers can accept.

• 140. At 10:56am on 18 May 2009, The Wrath Is Come wrote:

Thanks Jim I really need it! :-)

Went to see the new Star Trek(other science fiction franchises are available) film on Saturday.

What can I say - Brilliant, absolutely brilliant - recommended to all.

• 141. At 11:03am on 18 May 2009, Big Sister wrote:

Nikki (95) If you want to see how it's done, look here:

• 142. At 11:11am on 18 May 2009, Big Sister wrote:

For some reason, the BBC have cut off the first minute of his performance, which can be seen in its entirety here:

He is rather cute!

• 143. At 12:04pm on 18 May 2009, Wonko wrote:

DIY - yes, I am. That's most kind of you. I'm not able to make contact just at the moment (work doesn't allow use of personal e-mail accounts), but will try to make contact once I'm home this evening.

Thanks again cobber!

• 144. At 2:18pm on 18 May 2009, Selkius_Piscinus wrote:

Please may I have a large something-potent?And please could everyone be funny and silly and nice to each other -- not that you don't always, but right now I need a bit of cheering up.

My dearest friend had a chest x-ray last week and went in to see a specialist today because the x-ray showed two small patches at the bottom of one lung that they were unsure about.

The operation for cancer is happening next week.

(And I was so upset that I seem to have posted this to a Beach some time in December by accident. Please may I have another large something-strong?)

• 145. At 2:29pm on 18 May 2009, annasee wrote:

So sorry, Selkius. Have all the drink you want. And take a bottle for your friend as well. All good wishes to you both, and fingers crossed.

• 146. At 3:12pm on 18 May 2009, Wonko wrote:

May I echo annasee's sentiments, have a bottle on me Selkius. Best wishes to you both.

Joke: A man phones an insurance meeting and asks to insure his car for Third Party and Theft. The insurance agent says they can only offer a policy for Third Party, Fire and Theft. The man replies: "Don't be daft, who's going to nick a car that's on fire".

• 147. At 3:13pm on 18 May 2009, Wonko wrote:

And by "meeting" in that joke I of course meant "company". Always getting those two mixed up.

Nurse! The screens!

• 148. At 3:47pm on 18 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

Wonko, I will for darkness before attempting to contact you again then!

I know it is only mid afternoon but my body thinks it is early morning June 15th 1968!

DiY:-D

• 149. At 3:50pm on 18 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

*peeps from behind Wonko's screens*

doh...please insert this 'wait' into my 148!

• 150. At 3:54pm on 18 May 2009, Wonko wrote:

DIY - Would you like some lubricant for that insertion?

• 151. At 3:58pm on 18 May 2009, U12196018 wrote:

A lawyer and an engineer were fishing in the Caribbean. The lawyer said: I'm here because my house burned down, and everything I owned was destroyed by the fire. The insurance company paid for everything.
    That's a coincidence, said the engineer. I'm here because my house and all my belongings were destroyed by a flood, and my insurance company also paid for everything.
    The lawyer looked somewhat confused and asked: How do you start a flood?

• 152. At 4:32pm on 18 May 2009, Wonko wrote:

What do you call three (insert public hate figures of the moment) up to their necks in cement?

Insufficient cement.

• 153. At 4:36pm on 18 May 2009, U12196018 wrote:

What do you call four (insert any other public hate figures of the moment) at the bottom of the North Sea?

A good start.

• 154. At 4:43pm on 18 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

Wonko re lubricant, no worries mate I used Vegemite!

Works a treat and leaves a surprisingly good after taste!

OK, I know it's off to the Naughty Step but I really don't mind.

• 155. At 4:46pm on 18 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

*fresh from the Naughty Step*

What do you call five (insert any other public hate figures of the moment) at the bottom of a disuded coal pit?

A splendid idea.

• 156. At 5:40pm on 18 May 2009, Sid wrote:

When my car was stolen, the insurance man said "And when did it catch fire?" And I said "It didn't - it was stolen." And he said "Ah - then you should have had third party, fire OR theft."

(A joke for programmers?)

• 157. At 5:43pm on 18 May 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

What do you call five people up to their heads in the sand on the beach?

People on a real beach.

• 158. At 8:00pm on 18 May 2009, Anne P. wrote:

Selky (144) - lots of frugs to you and your friend.

• 159. At 8:30pm on 18 May 2009, Cossackgirl wrote:

You are walking through a jungle clearing and are confronted by a crocodile, a lion and a lawyer. Your gun has only 2 bullets left. Who do you shoot?
    Answer: The lawyer, twice, just to be on the safe side.

• 160. At 8:33pm on 18 May 2009, Cossackgirl wrote:

151. Horse - love the joke, copied it.

What is the difference between a dead rat and a dead lawyer on the motorway?
    Answer: the dead rat has skid marks in front of it.

• 161. At 8:40pm on 18 May 2009, Sid wrote:

What's the difference between a BMW Z4 and a hedgehog?

Not sure how I can answer that here ... let's just say that the prickles on a hedgehog are on the outside ...

• 162. At 9:01pm on 18 May 2009, Gillianian wrote:

Selkius (144) There's a cask of your favourite tipple behind the bar. I'll join you, if I may, in drinking a toast to your friend.

• 163. At 9:17pm on 18 May 2009, nikki noodle wrote:

Selkius @144 - and from me, too, wot Gillianian said

• 164. At 9:25pm on 18 May 2009, mittfh wrote:

OK folks, now you've warmed up, I've finally strolled in.

Let's get the party started!

• 165. At 9:36pm on 18 May 2009, Gillianian wrote:

Whey-hey!!! Happy Birthday, mittfh.
    Can we let off fireworks?

@ * #
    * @ * #
    # @ * #
    @ # *#
    # * @ *#

• 166. At 10:33pm on 18 May 2009, Stewart_M wrote:

Mittfh, Are you up for a Yard of Ale?

• 167. At 10:40pm on 18 May 2009, mittfh wrote:

Stewart: I would if I hadn't already swigged this rather large glass of 14% ABV red wine...

• 168. At 11:01pm on 18 May 2009, Selkius_Piscinus wrote:

You are a bunch of good, kind people. Thank you.

mittfh, birthday? Happy birthday! Have a gorilla.

*hic*

• 169. At 11:12pm on 18 May 2009, Stewart_M wrote:

That's my kind of red wine.....

• 170. At 11:50pm on 18 May 2009, Big Sister wrote:

Selkius: Thinking of you both.

• 171. At 09:11am on 19 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Selkius: echo previous sentiments. Thoughts with you and let's hope for the best possible outcome.

Belated birthday greetings mittfh!

Loved the jokes, esp. Horse @151.

What's big and red and looks good on (insert any public hate figures of the moment)?

A double decker bus.

• 172. At 09:36am on 19 May 2009, U13928940 wrote:

a belated Best Wishes to you and friend, Selkius. Having had a member of the family go through cancer a few years back, I can understand a bit of the turmoil that you're going through.

• 173. At 09:48am on 19 May 2009, Wonko wrote:

Selkius - re: Gorilla, no thanks, I'm trying to give them up.

• 174. At 10:24am on 19 May 2009, Wonko wrote:

Have a picture of Queen Victoria...

I'm in a funny mood today. Nust be the weather, or time of year, or something.

Cake! That's it, I need cake. I'm just going to have a look behind the bar at Nick's to see if there's any date and walnut...

• 175. At 10:45am on 19 May 2009, Sid wrote:

Looks like I've just arrived in time! Here's that date and walnut - also gingerbread, chocolate cake with orange, a slab of banana cake ... dig in folks!

• 176. At 10:49am on 19 May 2009, Wonko wrote:

Ah, thanks Sid, you're a lifesaver! It's the speedos and funny hat that gives it away.

Mmmm... cake. Ginger Cake too, yum...

mmwwuphn, numph, yeah.

• 177. At 11:00am on 19 May 2009, Fifi wrote:

I've just seen your (144) Selkius ... big hugs all round, and positive thoughts, and a selky-sized vat of top-notch scrumpy for you and your friend.

Fifi xxxxx

• 178. At 11:19am on 19 May 2009, pmmolly wrote:

The Beach seems to have returned to its comforting warm feeling again...

Hope all goes well for your friend, Selkius.

Belated wishes for a Happy Birthday, mittfh. Any cake left???

Nice to have you back safely, DIY.

Right- ginger cake- where?

Mollyxx

• 179. At 11:29am on 19 May 2009, Wonko wrote:

Here you go Molly, I saved you a large slice.

• 180. At 3:52pm on 19 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

Phew what a scorcher!

They are droping like flies in RL!

Wonko.....the Australian ransom money is in the post, can I have my Sprout coloured Speedos back?

• 181. At 4:38pm on 19 May 2009, Wonko wrote:

Yes, here you go DIY...

They may benefit from a wash before you put them on again...

• 182. At 4:40pm on 19 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

What on earth!

Wonko, are you having, ahem, tummy problems?

:-D

• 183. At 5:02pm on 19 May 2009, Wonko wrote:

No, but my dog did... ;o) []

• 184. At 5:30pm on 19 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

Ye Gods, no wonder you don't have your 'Laundry' badge yet. In fact that probably explains why you haven't got your 'Pet' badge yet either!

• 185. At 5:36pm on 19 May 2009, Wonko wrote:

It's "Animal Friend" badge actually...

• 186. At 6:32pm on 19 May 2009, Sid wrote:

I have large drinks waiting here for Frances O and Selkius Piscinus. And for anyone else who needs one. Or just wants one.

• 187. At 6:43pm on 19 May 2009, nikki noodle wrote:

cheers Sid.

• 188. At 7:02pm on 19 May 2009, needsanewnickname wrote:

Oh, Sid, you utter star. Here's to frogdom. I think I could manage a Pimm's, though maybe that bottle of red... if anyone wants to help me with it... enough for a few of us...

• 189. At 7:19pm on 19 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Sid, cheers and thanks. What a momentous day. Time to relax in hammock, listen to the waves lap in low sounds by the shore (with apologies to WB).

I hear it in my deep heart's core.

• 190. At 7:20pm on 19 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Actually, should that be "deep hearts' core"? Oh sod it. Time for a snooze.

• 191. At 7:22pm on 19 May 2009, Cossackgirl wrote:

168. Selkius
    I wish you and your friend courage to take life day by day in good spirit and without fear. Cancer is a different journey for each of us: I was given less than three years to live more than five years ago. As you see, I am still here (and with a glass of chilled wine by my side). There is always hope. I join all the good and friendly support offered above.

• 192. At 7:47pm on 19 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

Cheers Sid, mine's are large one!

And I'm not talking about B Sprouts either..fah nar fah nar....

*dragged off kicking and screaming to the Naughty Step correctional unit*

• 193. At 8:11pm on 19 May 2009, Gillianian wrote:

Thanks Sid - make mine a cuba libre, please.

The frangipanis smell heavenly this evening.

• 194. At 9:54pm on 19 May 2009, annasee wrote:

DIWy (192)

- "dragged off kicking and screaming..."

they're not making YOU the new speaker, are they?

Welcome back, btw. Still jet-lagged, are we? Awake at 4 a m? Nodding off at 6 30 pm? I remember it too well.

• 195. At 10:53pm on 19 May 2009, U12196018 wrote:

Isn't Ritula Shah awfully good?

• 196. At 06:17am on 20 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Horse: yes.

• 197. At 07:41am on 20 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

Morning Froggers.

Coffee is made, tea is brewing and the toast is just the right shade of toasty brown. Tuck in!

annasee, no I am NOT going to be the new speaker!

Jet lag nearly gone now, thank goodness it is only 3:30am!

DiY ;-)

• 198. At 07:55am on 20 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Morning DiY - thank goodness you are back and can take over breakfast responsibilities again.

What? No crossaunts? No bacon sarnies? Just when I was tiring of fresh tropical fruit and longing for something 'proper' to start the day with. Ah well, toast an Vegemite it is then.

• 199. At 09:06am on 20 May 2009, Wonko wrote:

What ho Froggers!

Morning again? How did that happen?

Any toast left? Can I stop asking questions?

I've brought some home made bramble jelly (home made by a relative, not me, I'm hopeless at making jam).

• 200. At 09:16am on 20 May 2009, The Wrath Is Come wrote:

Morning all!

Large coffee for me DIY, please.

Lady Sue - I'll get some Bacon on the grill if you're still interested in a butty. Otherwise I'm making cheese omlettes and french toast for anyone (like me) who likes a late brekkie.

Wonko - rotation of the Earth as it orbits the sun, does that answer your question? ;-p

Right, anyone for a spot of water polo?

• 201. At 09:42am on 20 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Mr. Wrath - I like a late breakfast and have just had some scram egg, thankyou anyway.

Water polo it is but I want to be on TIHorse's team.

• 202. At 09:44am on 20 May 2009, The Wrath Is Come wrote:

Lady Sue - Damn, why didn't I think of that?

I wonder if the stainless steel cat would be a decent substitute?

• 203. At 09:47am on 20 May 2009, Sid wrote:

Half a litre of coffee and and slice of toast for me. Hmm. Something wants me to write 'liter' ... serves me right for going metric.

• 204. At 09:53am on 20 May 2009, nikki noodle wrote:

welll peeps, I see you are all munching away!

in recognition of my fav strapline entry, I have stuggled down to the beach bearing a crate of champers and a huge box of large and juice oranges.

I am going to set up the NCM Bar's 'Eaz-o-matic' Acme juicing machine and get myself plastered in pith and covered in rind...

...anyone for a bucks fizz??

• 205. At 10:02am on 20 May 2009, Wonko wrote:

TWIC - I don't accept that arguement at all. The Earth is flat and supported on the back of an elephant.

Bucks Fizz? Don't mind if I do.

• 206. At 10:11am on 20 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

I was up for a game of water polo but I turned my back for a moment and then found that my mint had disolved. I am doing something wrong?

*holds out empty pint pot*

n_n, Bucks Fizz, splendid idea.

• 207. At 10:22am on 20 May 2009, The Wrath Is Come wrote:

Hmmm - bucks fizz. A bit early but go on then, just an extra large one for me.

Wonko - Isn't that the discworld? Flat, supported on the back of Four elepants, riding on the back of a giant turtle?

Completely fictional universe I'm afraid, we live here.

• 208. At 10:33am on 20 May 2009, U12196018 wrote:

n-n (204) - Blimey, your strapline didn't last too long. Did you forget to feed the meter?

• 209. At 10:41am on 20 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Is today's strapline something to do with Startrek? Don't they have 'Beyond space'? (This is a serious question, I am not a Trekkie!).

Buck's Fizz would be great!

DiY: as long as your speedos don't dissolve.

• 210. At 10:41am on 20 May 2009, Sid wrote:

Horse @ 208 - not just me then? I thought I'd lost a day ...

• 211. At 10:48am on 20 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

Lady_Sue, I just happened to glance down......Doh!

I think the straplines are in a parallel universe where the fabric of time and space thinks it is tomorrow.

DiY %-}

• 212. At 10:55am on 20 May 2009, Stewart_M wrote:

Re Water Polo. Do we have a snorkel that will fit horse?

Bucks fizz, yes please. I can count it as one of my five.

Now then I'm off to build a poly-tunnel behind the dunes for our years supply of Friut and Veg (more than sprouts) for our various fruit and veg styled cocktails.

• 213. At 10:55am on 20 May 2009, nikki noodle wrote:

• 214. At 10:57am on 20 May 2009, Stewart_M wrote:

erm not sure why I sent that the strapline now. I think it was a suggestion as the final one. i.e. PM has now grown beyond the need for straplines.

• 215. At 11:36am on 20 May 2009, Wonko wrote:

TWIC - No. Discworld is fictional and does (according to the author) sit on four elephants and the back of Great A'Tuin the Turtle. We live somewhere different, and it's just elephants all the way. I reject your reality and substitute my own! ;o)

Need any help with that polytunnel Stewart? I'm a dab hand with a staple gun - especially when I've had a few!

• 216. At 11:43am on 20 May 2009, The Wrath Is Come wrote:

Wonko - Fair point, elephants all the way eh? Sounds like a particularly nasty traffic jam >8-)

• 217. At 11:58am on 20 May 2009, Wonko wrote:

TWIC - Yeah, I wouldn't fancy cleaning up after that! Still, it would be good for the rhubarb and roses.

(Slightly) early lunch everyone? I've got from three bean, tomato and bacon soup and some crusty french bread. Oh and unsalted Normandy butter, of course.

• 218. At 12:11pm on 20 May 2009, Gillianian wrote:

Wonko, you're a pal. That would be lovely, thank you. I'll take it as it is, bit I've got some aioli here if you fancy it.

• 219. At 12:12pm on 20 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

What time is the water polo starting?

There's never a Horse around when you need one...

• 220. At 12:18pm on 20 May 2009, U12196018 wrote:

It's OK Lady Sue, I was just blowing up my water wings! I'm ready for the first chukka!

• 221. At 12:23pm on 20 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

Thanks for the lunch offer Wonko but I will stick with my healthy King of the Burgers option!

Lady_Sue, I don't know but I have had my mallet out ready for ages ready to play the first chukka!

• 222. At 12:25pm on 20 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

Right, here we go then. Will just smear this Vegemite on, don my spurs get me whip out and away we go.

• 223. At 12:41pm on 20 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Go easy on the Vegemite DiY - that's black Ozzie gold!

Hi Ho Silver... away....

• 224. At 12:48pm on 20 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

Oh well hit me Lady! I bet Wonko never even saw that coming.

• 225. At 12:53pm on 20 May 2009, Trevor Mansell wrote:

What are all those horses doing in the water?

• 226. At 1:18pm on 20 May 2009, Gillianian wrote:

Watch out for your withers, Horsey - you wouldn't want to displace them ;o)

• 227. At 1:25pm on 20 May 2009, nikki noodle wrote:

removed?!
    things just not going my way today

here, let me at that mallet:

phffffftwonk!!!!!

• 228. At 1:25pm on 20 May 2009, Gillianian wrote:

DIWyman - who taught you how to do that with your grackle? It looks dandy ;o)

• 229. At 1:54pm on 20 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Whoops! Sorry Wonko!

Good shot nikki! (are you on our side?)

Gillianian, what's a ........... duck!! ..... grackle?

• 230. At 2:01pm on 20 May 2009, Sid wrote:

Hmm, exploding water wings ... I think I might duck down behind this dune for the duration. With a large Pimms.

• 231. At 2:04pm on 20 May 2009, U12196018 wrote:

Lady Sue - Steady on! You're meant to whack the thing parallel to my flank, not under my girth. And please be careful with the follow-through - I hope to continue making a bob or two through stud fees.

• 232. At 2:17pm on 20 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Perhaps I should have avoided the Bucks Fizz this morning, Horse? Will endeavour to be a lot more careful.

• 233. At 2:54pm on 20 May 2009, The Wrath Is Come wrote:

Zzzz....

Zzz..

WHa?

What was that?!?

Have you started the water polo without me? I only went for a short nap.
    *searches* Where's my mallet, where's my MALLET!!
    Bl**dy comfortable hammocks, I tell you ;-)

• 234. At 2:57pm on 20 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

to me..nice one....phffffftwonk!!!!!

Gillianianian, glad you like my grackle, it's a bit tight but then again the hanging cheek french link snaffle wasn't working too well!

DiY ;-)

• 235. At 3:14pm on 20 May 2009, Gillianian wrote:

Wrath - quick - grab a camel and get in there! Put a flap under your billets, and away you go!!!

• 236. At 3:30pm on 20 May 2009, U12196018 wrote:

Aoooooowww!

Would somebody call the vet please??? That ball is very uncomfortable there and I can't get at with my hooves.

Aoooooowww!

• 237. At 3:30pm on 20 May 2009, Wonko wrote:

Why are there packets of mints all over the Beach?

• 238. At 3:34pm on 20 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Is this proper polo if camels are allowed?

• 239. At 3:38pm on 20 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

Ow.....that smarts! I think I used to much chilli on my mexican grackle.

• 240. At 3:41pm on 20 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

me Lady, this is the Beach when even camels can appear most horse like!

TiH, right mate, got me 2 foot long rubber glove on....brace yerself!

• 241. At 4:06pm on 20 May 2009, U12196018 wrote:

Ooooooooooohhhh! That's better!

I think I'll play with my tail down in the next chukka.

• 242. At 4:20pm on 20 May 2009, The Wrath Is Come wrote:

Hahaha ! Do you like my Lawrence of Arabia impression?

Yeeehaaaa phffffftwonk

• 243. At 4:21pm on 20 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

TiH, don't bother, the cork I put in will keep the balls out..fah nar fah nar!

• 244. At 4:26pm on 20 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

TWIC, cracking shot...to you Wonko..phffffftwonk

• 245. At 4:32pm on 20 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

I don't believe it, now me Dr Bristol Eggbutt has come loose!

• 246. At 4:38pm on 20 May 2009, Wonko wrote:

Sorry DIY, I was distracted for a moment...

doink

• 247. At 4:42pm on 20 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

What's the score? What's the score?

Look out Wonko! C-r-a-c-k ... through the posts!

• 248. At 4:54pm on 20 May 2009, U12196018 wrote:

Lady Sue - Ermm. That's the goal that we are defending!

• 249. At 4:57pm on 20 May 2009, The Wrath Is Come wrote:

Scoooooooooore!!!!!

*falls off camel*

• 250. At 4:58pm on 20 May 2009, Wonko wrote:

Rubs head...

Ow.

I need a lie down

@;o) []

• 251. At 4:59pm on 20 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

ere we go, ere we go, ere we go. Thanks to the Lady Sue own goal, Speedos At The Ready 2, Vegemite Lickers 1!

DiY :-)

• 252. At 5:04pm on 20 May 2009, needsanewnickname wrote:

Oooh! Fun, though it looks a bit energetic.

Can I just watch and (ahem) make sure the Pimms is mixed just so?

• 253. At 5:16pm on 20 May 2009, The Wrath Is Come wrote:

Pimms - just what I need for that bounce on my bonce.

• 254. At 5:35pm on 20 May 2009, Wonko wrote:

Wonko Pimms not work well without...

Down lying am I.

:o~

• 255. At 5:58pm on 20 May 2009, gossipmistress wrote:

TIH did you manage to extract your ball from that unnatural position? Sorry, I was called away to a dolphin which had become tangled in some speedos.

• 256. At 6:09pm on 20 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

TIHorse: ooops! Sorry!

Quick, quick, giddyup, giddyup ....

*smack*

Another goal! This one through the right posts!

An equaliser! Hurrah!

Frances, would you put some champage in that Pimms? I sense a victory!

• 257. At 6:34pm on 20 May 2009, Shahtana wrote:

Far too much energy going on here, I am a tad lazy today. Long time no blog have to try and keep up. How are all you Froggers?

• 258. At 6:55pm on 20 May 2009, Shahtana wrote:

Ok just listened to Fifi singing about sausages and having a paddle. Don't know which one I crave most.
    Oh dear just looked at what I wrote, will now go sit on the naughty step.

• 259. At 6:57pm on 20 May 2009, nikki noodle wrote:

time out?!

I say, Lady_Sue!!!! Time - Out??!!

• 260. At 7:10pm on 20 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Bong, bong, bong...

It's a draw!

Whew.

Time for some champagne induced Pimms and a relaxing yak by the bar. (Are we allowed yaks, next time we play?).

Best ride I've had in a while.

;o)

• 261. At 7:42pm on 20 May 2009, Gillianian wrote:

Co-ee Shahtana!! Lovely to see you again.
    Haul yoursef off that naughty step and come and have a splash with me ;o)

• 262. At 7:44pm on 20 May 2009, SentIntheClowns wrote:

In Lverpool, there were hustings posters everywhere, Sam saying to Diane, that he felt an election coming on.
    Let's hope Gordon does.
    Cheers.
    If Gordon is John Major, who is Edwina?

• 263. At 9:40pm on 20 May 2009, Shahtana wrote:

Allo Gillianian, Co-ee back LOL. Feels good to be back, love the banter, glad some things don't change. I think they sent one of my posts on the Glass Box to moderation, I am such a Canuck rabble rouser.

• 264. At 10:10pm on 20 May 2009, Izzy_Tme wrote:

Blimey, you've all had a 'camel' of a time.

Glad it all ended peacefully in a draw - the gloating would have gone on for days otherwise...

Right then chaps, I'm on for the last big push - one more exam on Friday morning and then I'll be able to join in all the frivolities again (only four years after I started)! Woo hoo!

I've left a night cap or two on the bar to help with the relaxation after the excitements of the day. I'll be in the relaxing hammock for the rest of the night and then behind the revision dune (for the last time) tomorrow.

See you all on the other side.....

I xx

• 265. At 10:38pm on 20 May 2009, nikki noodle wrote:

Go Izzy Go!!

One more day's revision!!!

You can do it!!!

yay!!!

• 266. At 10:42pm on 20 May 2009, nikki noodle wrote:

@262 I always assumed it was Prudence.

• 267. At 10:46pm on 20 May 2009, nikki noodle wrote:

Hi Shahtana!!
    welcome back - that really didnt take you very long to get modded, did it!!!

Here, have a glass of something?!
    n-n

• 268. At 11:01pm on 20 May 2009, Sid wrote:

Anyone for polo?

• 269. At 04:37am on 21 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

LOL Sid.

Morning fellow froggers! Another glorious day on the beach. Here's some freshly squeezed orange juice - bit early for coffee.

Just off for a walk along the beach

*trips*

[Bl**dy polo mallets... ]

• 270. At 06:53am on 21 May 2009, needsanewnickname wrote:

At least you aren't going for a swim, Lady Sue. You might be in danger of bumping into a floating duck pond.

Now, I'm all in favour of ducks.

It's just that the vital nature of this installation for an MP escapes me.

Ah! I haven't had any breakfast yet. The brain is obviously not working.

Ducks. Eggs. Oi! Young Macallan! You get them while I put the kettle on and get the pans ready to fry up breakfast.

Anyone want to get the muesli, porridge, fruit and toast sorted out?

• 271. At 07:30am on 21 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

Morning LS and FO!

Muesli, porridge, fruit and toast sorted.

Now where is my grackle?

• 272. At 07:34am on 21 May 2009, needsanewnickname wrote:

Have you checked your speedos?

• 273. At 07:52am on 21 May 2009, Trevor Mansell wrote:

Hey ho froggers. Proper English breakfast on the go. Any more energetic sports today and you'll all need sustenance. Beach volleyball later, anyone??

• 274. At 09:15am on 21 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

Ah Frances O, thanks, found it. It had slipped down the crack at the back.

• 275. At 09:34am on 21 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

I hope nobody minds but that lorry load of 'Floating duck islands' behind the dunes are mine. I needed some where to stash them untill the market picks up again.

DiY :-p

• 276. At 09:47am on 21 May 2009, Fearless Fred wrote:

What ho, everybody :-) RL is keeping me busy at the mo, with little time to frog. Just thought I'd pop to the beach to leave a few goodies on the bar (carrying a basket containing Tim Brooke Taylor and Graeme Garden is hard work!).

Hopefully I'll be able to spend a little time here over the long w/e :-)

• 277. At 09:48am on 21 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Can hardly believe the floating duck pond claim. You couldn't make it up, could you? Whatever next?

More heads bound to roll.

Mansaylo - beach volleyball it is! See you later.

• 278. At 09:49am on 21 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Poor Fearless... must have been something you said.

• 279. At 10:01am on 21 May 2009, Fearless Fred wrote:

No, Lady Sue, it's something that happened about a month and a half ago, and the Moderators have yet to get in contact with me, despite ten emails to them to discuss how long this will go on for. I'm almost tempted to write a post and refer it, as it seems that's the only way they are going to actually respond to anyone nowadays...

• 280. At 10:36am on 21 May 2009, Wonko wrote:

What ho!

Time for some brunch I think (breakfast was when it was still dark this morning). I've got some sausages, hash browns, beans and eggs here.

• 281. At 10:40am on 21 May 2009, Sid wrote:

Lady Sue - I've always imagined you have a floating duck pond in your moat ...

• 282. At 11:25am on 21 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

A word of warning for single finger typists..the letter 'D' is awfully close to the letter 'F' and the letter 'S', so it might pay to double check that you have actually typed Duck instead of.
    Suck

DiY

• 283. At 11:38am on 21 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Fearless, so glad you have reappeared. I know Chris_G has requested same on another thread, so it looks like your problem has been sorted. Lovely to see you back.

Sid: no moat or floating duck ponds, sadly, but a river and three lovely lakes. I can see a fisherman floating about on what looks like a large, inflatable armchair as I type. This morning my dogs made a lovely bird (not sure what) break cover on the buttercup covered lawn where I found a nest with six eggs. We didn't disturb it, obviously and will keep the dogs away. Very rustic here! This blog is a lifeline and keeps me fooled into thinking I'm still part of the 21st Century.

DiY: naughty step beckons...

• 284. At 1:02pm on 21 May 2009, Fifi wrote:

I had to send my floating duck pond back because it was faulty.

It sank.

• 285. At 1:05pm on 21 May 2009, Big Sister wrote:

A floating duck pond? Hm, novel, Feefs.

Back here, Monty has been campaigning for a second home allowance. I've told him he's lucky to have a main home and will lose that if he doesn't look out. I'm now awaiting a claim for travel expenses.

• 286. At 1:07pm on 21 May 2009, Fearless Fred wrote:

Lady Sue (283) Nope, I'm still stuck in limbo

• 287. At 1:28pm on 21 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Big Sis: shouldn't that be a 'second kennel allowance'?

Poor Fred.

• 288. At 1:59pm on 21 May 2009, Big Sister wrote:

Lady Sue: Monty doesn't 'do' kennels. He does, however, have two crates, and will probably be getting a third one in due course. However, he prefers, always, the main home, with the comfy beds and the garden where he can hone his digging skills.

One thing about Monty, he doesn't employ any help in the garden (though it has to be said that I need help clearing up after him).

;o)

• 289. At 2:53pm on 21 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

Big Sis, surely you can claim back for all Monty's vet bills, food etc if he is providing you services in the form of guard dog and cultivator?

• 290. At 3:15pm on 21 May 2009, U12196018 wrote:

Is anybody else experiencing an odd layout to the blog?

• 291. At 3:20pm on 21 May 2009, Wonko wrote:

Very odd!

• 292. At 3:26pm on 21 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Big Sis: my two/three don't do kennels either. Darcy and Bess have an armchair either side of the rayburn in the kitchen and Roger the Lodger has a carpeted bachelor pad with insulated walls and a sheepskin basket from the ISPCA.

Horse: yes! I was worrying it was "just me". It's on all threads too.

Spooky!

• 293. At 3:27pm on 21 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Fred: you seem to be allowed on the Beach but not on other threads.

Curiouser and curiouser.

• 294. At 3:28pm on 21 May 2009, Big Sister wrote:

Mmm, spooky!

• 295. At 3:33pm on 21 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

I hope they fix it soon. It's hurting my eyes!

• 296. At 3:45pm on 21 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

Lady_Sue, Froggers, in IE(*) you can always go to Page in the tool bar and select a larger text size untill they discover there is a problem and fix it!

* Other web browsers are available.

• 297. At 3:50pm on 21 May 2009, Fifi wrote:

Eeeek, the Beach has gone all shallow and short and centred... so we all look short and fat!

* jumps up and down *

And wobble more. :o(

Oh dear, I need to find an enormous hammock, which will now not be long enough for my legs... and just shut my eyes till it's all better again.

• 298. At 3:51pm on 21 May 2009, The Wrath Is Come wrote:

Or hold Ctrl and use the scroll wheel thingy on the mouse!

• 299. At 4:05pm on 21 May 2009, Fearless Fred wrote:

TWIC (298) Ctrl and + or - would do the same for the Firefox users amongst the frogging community, although it doesn't cure the "centred" text business....

• 300. At 4:07pm on 21 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

TWIC: it went the wrong way and you all disappeared into the distance!

I wonder if Eddie's going to sound all squeaky at 5pm?

• 301. At 4:43pm on 21 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

Feefs, you can stop jumping up and down and wobbling now.

• 302. At 4:44pm on 21 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

Lady_Sue? Has he had a bath and washed behind his ears then?

• 303. At 4:57pm on 21 May 2009, Sid wrote:

DIY - hello, ducks!

• 304. At 4:58pm on 21 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

SID - hello, swerves!

• 305. At 5:07pm on 21 May 2009, Fearless Fred wrote:

Sid, DI_Y, Hello, zigs! (this is in danger of going all "Waltons" on us!)

• 306. At 5:12pm on 21 May 2009, Sid wrote:

The man on PM just called the duck house a folly! Or was it a dolly ...

• 307. At 5:27pm on 21 May 2009, Fifi wrote:

I am just pondering the floating duck palace* of arranging a band practice when I have a sore throat ...

* other examples are available

• 308. At 6:36pm on 21 May 2009, nikki noodle wrote:

No strapline today?!

:-(

• 309. At 6:38pm on 21 May 2009, nikki noodle wrote:

As this thread is supposed to be an "off-topic" thread - dare one ask about the weather where you are?

• 310. At 6:55pm on 21 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

n-n, It's nice out but I think Plod is going to object.

• 311. At 6:57pm on 21 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

nikki: it's lashed rain, then bouts of sunshine, then more sodding rain. That's in RL, here on the beach it's been glorious all day.

Time for a wine! Anyone?

• 312. At 6:59pm on 21 May 2009, Sid wrote:

Lady Sue - you always pop up just a the right moment!! Mmm, I can catch that fruity bouquet from here ...

• 313. At 7:12pm on 21 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

me too! And I thought it was the drains!

• 314. At 7:16pm on 21 May 2009, Sid wrote:

All this talk of zigs and zags reminds me of my dyslexic friend when he went skiing ... he stopped this chap on the slopes, and siad 'Can you help me, please? I'm never sure if I should zig then zag, or zag then zig.' And this chap says 'Don't ask me, I'm a tobogganist.' So my friend says, 'Well, in that case I'll have twenty Benson & Hedges.'

Funny old world, eh?

• 315. At 7:18pm on 21 May 2009, Fearless Fred wrote:

Ooh, I'll have a glass if you're pouring, Lady Sue :-)

Sid, Hahahaha!

• 316. At 7:32pm on 21 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

I wonder what FF is going to come up with?

LOL....The suspense is killing me!

• 317. At 7:38pm on 21 May 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

FF, you need to auntisipmate a bit more!

We have all gone down to NC's for a few pints!

• 318. At 11:20pm on 21 May 2009, Sid wrote:

nikki - I think the strapline may have gone forever ... we were warned.

• 319. At 11:21pm on 21 May 2009, Stewart_M wrote:

Sid, I think I agree with you. I suspect we may geta new blog layout soon. I may have the dubious pleasure of the last strapline yesterday. No fanfare not even a farewell!

• 320. At 09:09am on 22 May 2009, Fearless Fred wrote:

Stewart (319) well, we were warned by Eddie a while ago that the straplines were going to disappear :-( It's still sad to see them go...

• 321. At 09:13am on 22 May 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Fred: how is it that your comment on yesterdays AM Glass Box has been modded yet they appear elsewhere? It's all a bit random.