Red rubber band update....

Eddie Mair | 10:45 UK time, Thursday, 9 April 2009

red9.JPG

...they're still coming in....because of this.

On Saturday's iPM we'll be joined in the studio by a woman who, as part of her degree in graphic design collected 3,961 Royal Mail red rubber bands from the streets of Ashford. Oh and we'll have some music played on red rubber bands. You will be able to name that tune.

Care to add to our red rubber band collection?
"iPM Red Rubber Band Collection
Room G601
BBC News Centre,
LONDON
W12 7RJ."

....and an update on the update at 11.50. The sons of ace BBC reporter Angus Stickler have already got a giant ball of red rubber bands of which they are justifiably proud:

red10.JPG

Comments

• 1. At 11:01am on 09 Apr 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

This is stretching things a bit.

• 2. At 11:03am on 09 Apr 2009, Big Sister wrote:

Sorry, Eddie, but you're not having my collection. We're planning on using them to finance our next holiday.

• 3. At 11:08am on 09 Apr 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

3,961 rubbber bands? She counted them?

• 4. At 11:09am on 09 Apr 2009, needsanewnickname wrote:

Are you in league with Blue Peter, Eddie? You'll be after our milk bottle tops next.

And you've already had a 'name that cat' competition (hello, Hugh!)

• 5. At 11:13am on 09 Apr 2009, tug wrote:

Does the red rubber band round the batch of letters containing red rubber bands count as a red rubber band sent in response you your appeal for red rubber bands?

Just asking

• 6. At 12:15pm on 09 Apr 2009, CairnTerrier wrote:

They could be made into protective jackets for demonstrators so that they bounce back up if knocked to the ground by the Police.

• 7. At 1:00pm on 09 Apr 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

Our village post peeps must be very conscientious and do not seem to discard their used rubbers willy nilly so I have not found any to send.

If I dye some ‘normal’ ones, does that count?

DiY

• 8. At 1:39pm on 09 Apr 2009, Chris Ghoti wrote:

Unless the idea of all this is to shame the post-delivery people into not throwing litter around, not wasting everyone's money on things they then throw away, and not making cats and dogs who eat their rubbish-bands ill, I don't see much point in it.

Do you plan to return all these perfectly good rubber-bands to the litter-louts' bosses for re-use?

• 9. At 2:16pm on 09 Apr 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Cute photo of the children. Is the one in the front saying, "I don't know how you talked me into this. Let go or I'm telling Mum and I'm going to squash you head like this"?

• 10. At 2:41pm on 09 Apr 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

Lady_Sue, could be, "Chocolate or Dad's ball gets it"

• 11. At 2:51pm on 09 Apr 2009, steelpulse wrote:

Eddie,

Smiles like that always give me hope. Imagine me like that - only the teeth are more gritted.

This distraught Liverpool fan that I be. Well done Chelsea. We will meet again soon. I said to someone - I didn't even know who scored first - I was so stunned by that result last night.

Looking at the photo though above - I was thinking of the science of those rubber band balls. Limited to the stretch of every elastic band I suppose?

So unless you started using larger models of elastic bands - you couldn't make a thing the size of say - a football - out of them? And if you could and started kicking the rubber band football about the place - how long would it last. As a useful object to punt upfield and "on me 'ead!"?

A whole 90 minutes? No? Or more?

Couldn't make a football then - unless.......

Well isn't it lucky - another football isn't needed by us then? The present one has a good five minutes worrth of play left - innit - innit? lol

• 12. At 3:45pm on 09 Apr 2009, Fifi wrote:

• 13. At 4:23pm on 09 Apr 2009, Thunderbird wrote:

Is the nothing at all going on today?

• 14. At 4:25pm on 09 Apr 2009, patmartin wrote:

I've been collecting them, one on the doorstep every day, for years now and was going to send them to you when my grandchildren, 3 & 5, asked 'what will we play with if you send them to the radio man'. I pointed out the My Little Pony castle under the dining table, the box full of jigsaws, the painting easel and chalk board and all the other toys left here when mum and dad get fed up of them but was told in no uncertain terms that rubber bands are more fun

• 15. At 4:29pm on 09 Apr 2009, patmartin wrote:

Oh, I forgot in the post above; how do you start the ball off to be sure that it will be round? When I've tried they've always finished up oval

• 16. At 4:46pm on 09 Apr 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

pm 15, Then you are making red rubber band Easter eggs.

• 17. At 4:52pm on 09 Apr 2009, steelpulse wrote:

Is nothing going on today Number 13?

In an advert currently running a former "Home Alone" star says "Remember me!" to push an Insurance Group.

How could I forget - you - Macaulay - I thought?

Someone could it seems. Forget - that is.

Cul-kin sort of. Or at least - a parent - she allegedly went on holiday to Spain - deserting poor offspring I thought I heard said in Mr Mair's trailer. Exciting enough?

More in PM no doubt. No option but to listen.

Seems igloo making is coming back into fashion - too. Blocks of ice. Or is it just "blocks"?

• 18. At 5:07pm on 09 Apr 2009, needsanewnickname wrote:

patmartin: rugby balls, perhaps?

• 19. At 5:10pm on 09 Apr 2009, Thunderbird wrote:

15, start with a tennis ball

• 20. At 5:46pm on 09 Apr 2009, Happyhomeworker wrote:

I'm afraid I'm being selfish and not sending them in - I reuse them in my business. Saves me money, my postman regularly hands me my post with 2 or even 3 bands attached!

• 21. At 5:48pm on 09 Apr 2009, Fifi wrote:

My link has been removed, so I'll try a description.

Our lunch guest today told us about toys you can send away for that enable one to direct and fire red rubber bands harmlessly in an amusing manner.

There are toys that look like rifles, others that look like pistols, and there's even a gatling version (alas out of stock).

An absolute must would seem to be a plentiful supply of ammunition, which is why I can't think of any better reason for Eddie to start collecting them on an industrial scale.

I mean, what ELSE would you want them all for??

• 22. At 7:25pm on 09 Apr 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

(10) DiY: "Dad's ball"? Think plural might have garnered a more immediate response.

• 23. At 8:17pm on 09 Apr 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

Ah, but my Lady_Sue 22, I am not wanting to be spending the whole of Easter on the 'Naughty Step' that's for sure!

• 24. At 12:52pm on 10 Apr 2009, SarahALF wrote:

Are you still collecting suggestions for what to do with the rubber band collection? Could I ask you please to snip them all with scissors? Under the impression that it will help wildlife, I obsessively cut up rubber bands, handles of plastic bags and those plastic things around the tops of drinks cans before disposing of them. Hoping here to spread the obsession ...

• 25. At 4:56pm on 10 Apr 2009, Charlie wrote:

Fifi 21

If you do a search for - matchbox gun -
    you should find some video clips which demonstrate how to make "toys" that fire elastic bands.

• 26. At 5:00pm on 10 Apr 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

Charlie if you do a search for Gunpowder, TNT, Nitro G or Gun cotton you should find that the old Bill will be round to yours PDQ!

• 27. At 5:03pm on 10 Apr 2009, Charlie wrote:

DI_W 26

Now, you tell me...

• 28. At 11:26am on 11 Apr 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

DI_W 26, What if I Google The Gunpowder Plot?

• 29. At 4:49pm on 11 Apr 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

How big can a rubber band ball get before one breaks trying to stretch it around?

• 30. At 5:20pm on 11 Apr 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

I see where the iPM blog about RRBs is very popular.

• 31. At 5:39pm on 11 Apr 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

D_M 29, At least 8 inches, apparently.

• 32. At 5:54pm on 11 Apr 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

Maybe I missed something, but I'm no wiser about why we are sending red rubber bands to the blog. I want mine back. All one of them.