It's started....

1150 UPDATE: And here's what was inside:

red3.JPG

red4.JPG

red5.JPG

and we're grateful to:

red6.JPG

If you'd like to send us YOUR red rubber band collection (even if it's only one red rubber band) - write to

iPM Red Rubber Band Collection
Room G601
BBC News Centre,
LONDON
W12 7RJ.

Comments

• 1. At 11:06am on 07 Apr 2009, Big Sister wrote:

How many are there, Eddie?

What will you do with them?

I envisage a huge installation outside BBC TV Centre ..... Just make sure it's anchored down properly or you could find yourself in the doo doo.

• 2. At 11:27am on 07 Apr 2009, RxKaren wrote:

Jen's not nesting is she? Someone has checked that surely. What else can you do with thousands of red rubber bands?

• 3. At 11:31am on 07 Apr 2009, Stephen - Leader of STROP wrote:

That will teach you...

• 4. At 12:00pm on 07 Apr 2009, eddiemair wrote:

And before you ask, it was iPM guru Ryan who did the opening.

• 5. At 12:02pm on 07 Apr 2009, Big Sister wrote:

We knew those hands weren't yours, Eddie. In fact, from previous similar incidents, it seems that you NEVER open anything in the office.

Why?

• 6. At 12:05pm on 07 Apr 2009, eddiemair wrote:

In case people expect me to open my wallet.

• 7. At 12:10pm on 07 Apr 2009, Thunderbird wrote:

SAD

• 8. At 12:24pm on 07 Apr 2009, Big Sister wrote:

6 - We should have known.

[I would like to make it clear to others that I am not referring to Mr. Mair's Scottish roots as I know many - okay, well, two - generous Scots. ;) ]

• 9. At 12:30pm on 07 Apr 2009, Fearless Fred wrote:

So, Eddie, how many of those rubber bands have been "pinged" at colleagues so far?

• 10. At 12:55pm on 07 Apr 2009, IL wrote:

But what am I going to do with my huge collection of yellow rubber bands? Takeaway food from the tavola calda near my house in Rome always comes wrapped in paper plus yellow rubber bands.....maybe I could dye them?

• 11. At 1:06pm on 07 Apr 2009, Big Sister wrote:

ileyshon, if you send them to Eddie, he could produce some interesting rubber balls in the colours of the German flag - What do you think?

• 12. At 1:08pm on 07 Apr 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

Sorry to hear that T-Bird, how can we cheer you up?

DiY :-)

• 13. At 1:10pm on 07 Apr 2009, Stephen - Leader of STROP wrote:

BS (5)

Not true. If boxes of chocolates arrive in the office, Eddie is first in!

• 14. At 1:11pm on 07 Apr 2009, Big Sister wrote:

But, Stephen, he always gets somebody else to do the opening. Then he dives in ;o)

• 15. At 1:17pm on 07 Apr 2009, Stephen - Leader of STROP wrote:

Ah, true.

Now the question is why? Are his fingerprints on file?

• 16. At 1:19pm on 07 Apr 2009, toreSupra wrote:

• 17. At 1:20pm on 07 Apr 2009, Zeus69 wrote:

What's My News?

Well the 09.45 train from Paddington to Swansea arrived at Swindon too early!!... so was help up at the station but ended up leaving late...

Work that one out

• 18. At 2:03pm on 07 Apr 2009, joangemma wrote:

Hi Eddie
    Didn't imagine my parcel of red bands would be the first to arrive! I didn't count them but there must be a few hundred. I must confess that I didn't pick them up off the street! Our postie brings them to my work every day.

• 19. At 2:29pm on 07 Apr 2009, U13879388 wrote:

• 20. At 2:32pm on 07 Apr 2009, bbone wrote:

Sorry, I'm keeping mine. They really are very useful.

• 21. At 3:35pm on 07 Apr 2009, akaDavid-Sturgess wrote:

'Sorry, Eddie - you can't have our rubber bands. We collect them from our office doorstep each day and use them to build an ever-bigger rubber-ball for staff-games!

David Sturgess
    Sturgess Van Damme

• 22. At 4:04pm on 07 Apr 2009, Gillianian wrote:

Surely Eddie didn't get a proxy to open his crate of wine?????

• 23. At 4:46pm on 07 Apr 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

I sent a photo of some...

• 24. At 6:02pm on 07 Apr 2009, debrablay wrote:

My 4 year-old son has been collecting these on his way home from School for weeks. He asks if he sends them to you will you give them back?

• 25. At 6:08pm on 07 Apr 2009, Chris Ghoti wrote:

I had to go to the deliveries office today to collect a letter that had no stamp on it, and the car-park there was coated with red rubber-bands. I think they may be planning to save on re-tarmacking (however you spell that).

I didn't have the hour or two it would have cost to pick them all up, so I came away without any. Sorry about that.

But I *did* get an explanation for why they so often get dropped: I asked a nice man with a uniform-type bicycle and a bag full of letters, off on his round. He said they aren't insured against back injury if it is caused by their bending to pick up fallen rubber-bands, and he was told never to do it! I asked "What about if you drop a letter?" and he said he hadn't ever thought of that.

Sounds pretty specious to me.

• 26. At 6:09pm on 07 Apr 2009, Oldhenwife wrote:

You're not having mine! I've collected them for years and use them for closing bags and packets of dry ingredients in the pantry and fastening well-used egg boxes. They're invaluable.

• 27. At 6:17pm on 07 Apr 2009, Anne P. wrote:

I've always had more than I knew what to do with, so I've sent you the excess. But our postman uses plain as well as red - hope it doesn't take Ryan too long to sort them out. A touch of Cinderella and the peas in the ashes I'm afraid.

• 28. At 6:20pm on 07 Apr 2009, Alfred_Vella wrote:

Eddie,
    do you know about unwanted consequences?
    Now I do not want to be alarmist and suggest a conspiracy theory BUT your intervention in the red band problem might have some unintended consequences.
    From a management point of view I just wonder if the odd postie or two is not being encouraged to drop a band here or a band there – BECAUSE of the extra revenues generated by your program?

• 29. At 10:01pm on 07 Apr 2009, Cossackgirl wrote:

26. Oldhenwife
    Hear, hear!
    I agree, they are very robust indeed to stretch over thick bundles of mail, so more than sufficient for most domestic uses.
    My only grumble is that most of them arrive into my abode while still stretched over bundles of MY letters! After some wedding photos got cracked, on hearing the mighty struggle of yet another postman in the process of grimly shoving the thick wad through the letterbox, I tend to open the door and gently demonstrate the art of removing the red band and posting the mail through just a few items at a time.
    The goodwill is preserved via the Christmas bonus system, I hasten to add.

• 30. At 01:07am on 08 Apr 2009, annasee wrote:

What sort of mad, power-crazed trip are you on now, Eddie? "Send me your red rubber bands" indeed. Whatever next? "Send me your used ice-cream sticks"? "Send me your washed egg-shells"? Spare car-keys? Crumpled ten-pound notes? House deeds?

I mean, it's a slippery slope, and you know the listeners are as putty in your hands. I await further developments with interest, from a safe distance...

• 31. At 12:18pm on 08 Apr 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

Ohw 26, Darn right, he ain't having mine either!

• 32. At 12:19pm on 08 Apr 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

a 30, Eddie obviously thinks there is a war. Next it will be balls of tin foil.

• 33. At 12:25pm on 08 Apr 2009, The Wrath Is Come wrote:

What about "send us your used Biros"?

...send us your broken rulers?

...Send us your bent paperclips?

Or send us your broken keyboards?

• 34. At 1:07pm on 08 Apr 2009, Trevor Mansell wrote:

TRIC at 33.

As any fool know, Biros, both used and usable all disappear to the planet of the Biros (Veet Voojagig, Hithch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy).

• 35. At 2:13pm on 08 Apr 2009, Fearless Fred wrote:

Maybe PM have declared war on the Newsnight bunch, and this is a sneaky way to get enough rubber bands to create a catapult for the main assault on Paxmans' chocolate biscuit stash...

• 36. At 4:18pm on 08 Apr 2009, richyb73 wrote:

We only seem to get two or three red rubber bands a week.

Conveniently, after much of our household waste has been deposited in the prescribed recyclying recepticle, we have two or three black bin liners of refuse.

The rubber bands stay by the front door, ready to tie up the outgoing binliners.

Therefore, I apologise Eddie, it would create an environmental hazard to forward you our rubber bands.

• 37. At 5:20pm on 08 Apr 2009, The Wrath Is Come wrote:

Mansaylo at 33...

Methinks you did not click the links.

• 38. At 6:23pm on 12 Apr 2009, greylyn wrote:

It's not very hygenic picking up rubber
    bands from the pavements but I'm lucky
    as my postman includes them with my
    mail. I have a box full and also gave a full box to the local school. I don't find much use for them and it annoys me that Royal Mail is wasting money throwing them away and they could be re-used quite easily.
    When I do throw away the odd one or two I always cut them as I'm afraid wild animals could get caught in them.