Changes.

Eddie Mair | 10:55 UK time, Monday, 2 March 2009

Our new editor, Joe something, has been in the job a week and today she is directly in charge of the content of PM for the first time, as Day Editor.

Not only that, she has changed the seating arrangement so that she sits next to me. I just tried to take a secret photo of the view to my left, only for her to turn round and tell me that if I did that again she would "fire your fat ass".

jo2.jpg

The editor used to sit opposite, which is where you see today's Number Two - Mark. Confused?

jo1.JPG

Comments

• 1. At 11:13am on 02 Mar 2009, laughingpedro100 wrote:

Is this the right place to mention about cbeebs if so why are they still showing the winter song come two days into spring and up here in scotland we have buds comeing out on the trees and bulbs comeing through come on bbc don't let winter last any longer than it has to.

• 2. At 11:15am on 02 Mar 2009, DI_Wyman wrote:

Eddie, I don't think your ass is that fat!

• 3. At 11:34am on 02 Mar 2009, The Stainless Steel Cat wrote:

• 4. At 11:36am on 02 Mar 2009, GiulioNapolitani wrote:

It doesn't bode well.

• 5. At 11:36am on 02 Mar 2009, U12196018 wrote:

Wasn't that a great result for Ireland yesterday?

• 6. At 11:37am on 02 Mar 2009, Bizzie Lizzie wrote:

But, Eddie, you don't sound fat.

• 7. At 11:39am on 02 Mar 2009, PerfectlyPerky wrote:

I suspect the seating changes have arisen from the fact that we warned Jo not to get left out when the chocolates are passed round . . . .

Oh, and we may also have mentioned the drinks cabinet ;)

• 8. At 11:47am on 02 Mar 2009, vainly_here wrote:

That threat sounds highly dangerous to me.

• 9. At 12:01pm on 02 Mar 2009, The Stainless Steel Cat wrote:

Wow! I've been moderated due to talking about donkeys and cannons.

It was complete nonsense admittedly, but when did that start being a moderatable offence?

• 10. At 12:35pm on 02 Mar 2009, Charlie wrote:

I guess that's your first warning Eddie.

As I understand BBC procedures next time, should there be a next time, you'll have your name removed and a number substituted.

After that? Well goodbye...

Oh, and if things should progress speedily, thanks for the programmes...

• 11. At 12:37pm on 02 Mar 2009, GiulioNapolitani wrote:

Where do I complain about the offensive language in the blog post?

• 12. At 12:58pm on 02 Mar 2009, Scotch Git wrote:

Mr. Mair,

It's 'General Carr' to you. Laddie.

Nor, despite the haircut, (very smart, ma'am), is it 'Joe'

Give me twenty!!

• 13. At 1:02pm on 02 Mar 2009, Fearless Fred wrote:

Jo's a hard task-mistress, it appears. Good for her. It about time someone told Eddie that the drinks cabinet and chocolate locker are for everyone not just for the presenters!

• 14. At 1:17pm on 02 Mar 2009, HoldThemToAccount wrote:

Another Scot!

Excellent
    ;-0

• 15. At 1:17pm on 02 Mar 2009, Stewart_M wrote:

I think this the equivalent of "being made to sit at the front of class". Ever thought about "Home Broadcasting" ;-)

• 16. At 1:30pm on 02 Mar 2009, funnyJoedunn wrote:

Eddie,

Why would she want to fire my fat ass? I know no-thing.

• 17. At 1:31pm on 02 Mar 2009, Big Sister wrote:

No more games of solitaire then, Eddie.

Oh, and I hope you've hidden the key to the drinks cabinet and the chocolate drawer. I reckon she's just waiting to make her move ...

• 18. At 1:33pm on 02 Mar 2009, funnyJoedunn wrote:

Looks like Marks getting a roasting too.

• 19. At 1:36pm on 02 Mar 2009, funnyJoedunn wrote:

I think your just having us on Eddie. I bet Jo is really nice and kind and that lovey dovey stuff really.

• 20. At 1:40pm on 02 Mar 2009, Ed Iglehart wrote:

She does seem to be remarkably paper-based, and actually writes with a pen. How quaint! Some sort of a throw-back?

;-)
    ed

• 21. At 2:17pm on 02 Mar 2009, Ed Iglehart wrote:

Some perspective on the announcements about money for re-building Gaza, which are likely to feature in this evening's news reports...

"According to Ali al-Hayek, head of the Palestinian Union of Businessmen and the owner of factories that manufacture cinderblocks, "It was not an ordinary soldier that blew up and destroyed all these buildings." Hayek, who has taken dozens of photographs of the different arenas of destruction, added: "Only an engineer knows how and where to attack a building made of concrete so that it will collapse completely, and not fall on the destroyers. A simple soldier will be afraid. This is an army that spent about three hours in every factory and demolished it or blew it up without coming under attack. It's not a five-minute wrecking job."

Hayek and his counterpart in the Palestinian Federation of Industries, A'mer Hamad, are convinced that the destruction was directed against Gaza's economy and also against the prospects of reconstruction. "The army knew the location of every plant, every workshop, every cowshed, and with all its soul set out to destroy them," Hayek said."

• 22. At 2:59pm on 02 Mar 2009, SeriousSoundBiter wrote:

Goodness me, if the photies recent threads are anything to go by, the prog just got serious.

Tonite? Well, HSBC reports last year's profits.
    Which surely collapsed altogether after Merve slashed interest rates here.
    Cos now you can't borrow cheap in China and Japan and lend expensive here.
    (It's called the (Rab Nesbitt voice) Carry (oot) Trade)

It was working well for HSBC in the US, but waddaya know, HSBC is closing all its US high street lending outfits.

With its failing Rights Issue ('We need a few quid, we owe you shareholders money, we give you the Right to be owed more, by us) HSBC will be cap in had, begging bowl out, at the Treasury door by April.

Is PM up to telling us the truth, the awfull truth and nothing but the West-is-nothing-but-broke truth?
    Think it is, now?

Hey, Fifi, over the weekend I saw 'PM never strapped for straplines' from you... as a strap line..... Time running backwards at PM again?

And are there any regular Beachers trying to become MPs? Apparently the right move for such chaps and chapesses is to twitter to everyone what you had for breakfast, lunch and tea.

We should be told.

Though the sprouts and alcohol consumption there may lose them a few votes.

• 23. At 3:11pm on 02 Mar 2009, FitheFixer wrote:

(after having to sign in again to be allowed to post comments - gah!)

Pedro (1): Just been on the doganbone to me ol' ma up in haggis land ... and she's expecting snow!

But then, my mother ALWAYS expects snow.

Eddie : If she calls your ass 'fat' again, you should counter-sue for verbal abuse.

If she counter-counter claims that it was just your ass she was insulting, bring in the RSPCA.

• 24. At 3:45pm on 02 Mar 2009, MaeTron wrote:

I suspect that Mark may be worried about his derriere judging by the anount of fruit on his desk.......

• 25. At 3:50pm on 02 Mar 2009, maresydotes wrote:

SeriousSoundBiter

You unfortunately sound all too right - keep on tellin' them!

Eddie, can you all get to change seats?

• 26. At 4:20pm on 02 Mar 2009, danensis wrote:

As you have a day editor, could she please arrange for it to be 25% longer?

• 27. At 4:27pm on 02 Mar 2009, FitheFixer wrote:

Well I'm glad it didn't take long to clear the mods ... but why the heck did I need to?

And why can't I be Fifi any more?

(seriously grumpy frogger here)

• 28. At 5:03pm on 02 Mar 2009, Charlie wrote:

FtF 27

You're Grumpy..?!

• 29. At 5:11pm on 02 Mar 2009, makeitclear wrote:

Joe something...you are gorgeous...
    and I am in meltdown!

• 30. At 5:15pm on 02 Mar 2009, oldgifford wrote:

Raising the price of Alcohol? Typical of the ban them brigade. The culture has to change, without that change, the problems will remain.

• 31. At 5:21pm on 02 Mar 2009, Charlie wrote:

og 30

And, how do you change the culture..?

• 32. At 5:37pm on 02 Mar 2009, oldgifford wrote:

og 30 - any relation to og more?

Education, Education, Education, the only tool by which people become regular members of a properly ordered society.

And of course respected politicians to set an example, a commodity much lacking in today's society.

• 33. At 5:41pm on 02 Mar 2009, Charlie wrote:

og 32

Couldn't agree more.

Mind you, alcoholism's been a problem in the UK (& many other countries, for centuries)

Little has changed. So, where to go..?

• 34. At 5:46pm on 02 Mar 2009, Charlie wrote:

Harriet Harman is both a QC and, MP.

So, SHE, above all others, should get her facts in order.

Society may wish "Sir Fred" hadn't achieved such generous terms. But, he did and it appears, a Govt. Minister, it would seem, approved his requirements.

For good reason, there is a presumption in UK Law that RETROACTIVE legislation is denied by our Courts.

Over-to-you Harriet...

• 35. At 5:49pm on 02 Mar 2009, oldgifford wrote:

og 30

Don't know, in South Wales where I spend my formative years the accepted way to mark your 21st birthday was to stand on a table with one leg in your hands and sink 21 pints in one standing. Come Christmas time the police were always on hand to stop the traffic to allow the drunks to crawl across the road. If no one was causing a problem, no one got arrested, too much paperwork.

• 36. At 6:20pm on 02 Mar 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Loved your questions to Harriet. No surprises she didn't answer them.

I wonder what the reaction would be if an email/memo were sent to all high level UK bankers and politicians enigmatically saying, "All is revealed. Flee immediately"?

Might save the airline industry.

• 37. At 6:21pm on 02 Mar 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

Eddie: maybe "Joe something" is secretly sweet on you?

• 38. At 6:24pm on 02 Mar 2009, Charlie wrote:

L_S 37

Why, I wonder, are you insulting Joe../

• 39. At 6:54pm on 02 Mar 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

(38): U10780386: how am I insulting Joe? Why would being sweet on Eddie be an insult?

I'm sweet on him and would definitely move my chair next to him, if I could!

• 40. At 7:03pm on 02 Mar 2009, Charlie wrote:

L_S 39

From my perspective, the job is yours...

Not that I don't care for Eddie...

• 41. At 7:23pm on 02 Mar 2009, Lady_Sue wrote:

(40): U10780386: Thanks! Wow, when do I start?

• 42. At 7:31pm on 02 Mar 2009, Charlie wrote:

L_S 41

As from now!

The contract is on its' way.

Look forward to seeing you on the web-cam...

• 43. At 10:01pm on 02 Mar 2009, Izzy_Tme wrote:

Eddie

I'd be very afraid. That's one heck of a look you've been given. Time to put away the camera, I think....

Izz

• 44. At 10:05pm on 02 Mar 2009, ValeryP wrote:

No more Fifi??? No-o-oh!

• 45. At 3:12pm on 03 Mar 2009, needsanewnickname wrote:

Eddie, surely you know by now that you should never take a photie of a woman without warning.

She may wish to take time to ensure that her hair is as it should be, there's no spinach* on the front teeth and the make-up doesn't need a little refreshing.

No that Jo needs to do any of those things...

Oh, and by the way, you could refer her to Exeat 20:17
    Thou shalt not fire thy neighbour's ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

* Or sprout