The Glass Box for Friday.

Eddie Mair | 16:50 UK time, Friday, 6 February 2009

glassa.jpgThis is the Glass Box the PM team meets in at 18.00 every weeknight to discuss the content of the programme.

We try to be honest with each other, but not hurtful, as we talk about what worked and what didn't...what met our expectations and what fell short.

This virtual glass box is where you're encouraged to take part in the same spirit. The editor of the day, Mark Frankel and his deputy Amanda Lewis, will read your comments and may well add their own.

Comments

• 1. At 5:09pm on 06 Feb 2009, Ed Iglehart wrote:

It's not all bad news!

• 2. At 5:21pm on 06 Feb 2009, Peter Bolt wrote:

Congrats (so far) you managed to do the entire interviews on the "cold weather crisis" without once mentioning "the Dunkirk spirit". Even more laudable you do not lead any of the interviewees drawing on the same analogy.

• 3. At 5:31pm on 06 Feb 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

So, not Nils on wheels?

• 4. At 5:32pm on 06 Feb 2009, David Holder-Twomlow wrote:

I'd just like to say that I actually said "ahhh!" aloud when I heard Brian Perkins reading the news on 'PM' this evening. I haven't heard him for ages. So nice to hear his lovely voice again.

Regards
    David Holder-Twomlow, Birmingham, UK.

• 5. At 5:35pm on 06 Feb 2009, Ed Iglehart wrote:

I just heard "Clarkson apologised for commenting on the PM's appearance. (full stop)"

Bravo!

• 6. At 5:35pm on 06 Feb 2009, Screamingmuldoon wrote:

Snow? You sure? Sounds like my dogs just after their dinner. One of them is looking very guilty.

• 7. At 5:36pm on 06 Feb 2009, 3Dots wrote:

Right that's it, I'm switching over to some cops chasing criminals on a TV channel. It has to be better use of my time than listening to a reporter taping the sound of him walking through snow...please get some proper news on.

• 8. At 5:51pm on 06 Feb 2009, AlbertTeddyBear wrote:

Snow? I thought it was Nils trying to record the sound of the credit crunch.

• 9. At 6:01pm on 06 Feb 2009, loperhet wrote:

What justification is there for keeping Jeremy Clarkson employed by the BBC in view of his long track record for embarrassing himself and others with his trademark rudeness disguised as wit? What sort of role model is he? He cannot even apologise properly. I for one do not want to be sponsoring him and am amazed he has got away with it for so long. What does he have to do to be sanctioned and does he have a Green Room?

• 10. At 6:43pm on 06 Feb 2009, Sid wrote:

3Dots - in case you haven't spotted it, there is more to PM than news.

If you only want news, then wait till 6 o'clock and the lovely Harriet Cass* will inform you of what's what.

*other newsreaders are available ...

• 11. At 6:53pm on 06 Feb 2009, Tomster51 wrote:

In the light of dismissals due to non-PC language, will Claude Debussy's: Golliwog's Cake-Walk (1913) now never be played on Radio 3?

• 12. At 8:09pm on 06 Feb 2009, 3Dots wrote:

Sid

'3Dots - in case you haven't spotted it, there is more to PM than news.'

Yes Sid, I know but constant waffling on about snow isn't original and is tiring when everything else is about snow.

Southerners might like to know that we oop north had a fair whooping of snow just last year but as it didn't happen within 10miles of the M25 it didn't get reported on PM night after night.

I listen to PM for the news AND comedy genius Eddie Mair...going on about snow isn't funny after a while week and isn't news worthy or have any particular comedy value.

Also, I don't tend to listen to the o'clock news because I get it during PM and PM is funnier...usually.

• 13. At 10:23pm on 06 Feb 2009, U12196018 wrote:

3dots - Don't you dare go away. We need your sort here!

• 14. At 10:48pm on 06 Feb 2009, Sid wrote:

Oh, come on 3Dots - I've just seen on the BBC news that people were unable to get into Luton town centre today - and you dismiss a calamity like that as 'waffling on'!!!!

• 15. At 10:49pm on 06 Feb 2009, Sid wrote:

Tomster51:

Of course Debussy will be banned - if his music is used to refer disparagingly to black tennis players.

• 16. At 10:55pm on 06 Feb 2009, oldnat wrote:

I'm just waiting for calls for "English salt for English roads". We're going to have to re-open the salt pans at Saltcoats and Prestonpans!

• 17. At 10:18am on 07 Feb 2009, Chris Ghoti wrote:

Sid @ 15, I haven't been following this story in particular because I have some paint I want to watch drying, but didn't what she said suggest that someone-or-other 'might have trouble beating the golliwog', or words to that effect? In which case I would have thought the other player was the one being disparaged.

• 18. At 1:26pm on 07 Feb 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

Interesting that there are salt mines in both Cleveland, Ohio and Cleveland in England.

• 19. At 10:27pm on 07 Feb 2009, Chris Ghoti wrote:

OK, who referred 17 and why?

• 20. At 11:18pm on 07 Feb 2009, Sid wrote:

Well, I was tempted to refer 18, in that it is a completely false use of 'interesting' ...

but I tend not to refer anything.

• 21. At 00:54am on 08 Feb 2009, aye_write wrote:

#20 Sid

I was tempted to refer to #18 and #20 as hilarious, but then I worried somebody else might see that as a completely false use of 'hilarious'!

• 22. At 3:17pm on 08 Feb 2009, Charlie wrote:

Sequin

Why no "Glass Box" for Saturday..?

• 23. At 3:54pm on 08 Feb 2009, Dappergent wrote:

No's 17 and 19. It is now nearly 30 hours later and it is still been considered.
    One of my posts took 2 days before it appeared. Delays of this magnitude make you disinclined to continue.
    You certainly lose the flow.

• 24. At 4:56pm on 08 Feb 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

C_G 19, You tell us, but re-word it. I had one referred on another thread for explaining what C Thatcher called the tennis player. I got it from a column in the Indy. Filthy, dirty newspaper.

• 25. At 5:01pm on 08 Feb 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

• 26. At 5:11pm on 08 Feb 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

Maldon in GB and Noirmoutier in France also both produce sea salt, but their names are nothing alike. And they are in two different countries. Both in the EU, but different countries. I'll admit that they are a bit alike in another way in that we have salt from both places in our kitchen. No, you can't have any to throw on the roads. Too expensive. Maybe fish and chips tonight. Which salt to use. Decisions, decisions...

• 27. At 5:13pm on 08 Feb 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

I was near the famous salt mine in Poland, but it was closed when we were there.

• 28. At 6:20pm on 08 Feb 2009, Chris Ghoti wrote:

DMcN @ 24, as far as I remember (but it was a long time ago) my post 17 was in reply to Sid at 15 having said that something could be used to refer disparagingly to black tennis players.

It occurred to me that if what was said was that someone would have to be lucky to beat a particular black tennis player (I forget the names involved here, and didn't use them) or words to that effect, then surely the one being disparaged was not the one needing hard work or luck to beat him or her, but the one needing the luck.

Clearly not a proper suggestion, for some reason.

• 29. At 9:35pm on 08 Feb 2009, aye_write wrote:

#25 David_McNickle

"a_w 21, Sid said refer, not refer to. I was going to refer Sid's as being boring."

Yeah, it was a typo/joke - I am dying of a cold here!

• 30. At 10:57am on 09 Feb 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

a-w 29, You're dying of a cold ear?

• 31. At 12:14pm on 09 Feb 2009, aye_write wrote:

#30 David_McNickle

Ha, ha, ha!

I'm coming back to life, though, so watch out - if PM puts up anything on their blogs worth talking about!

;-)

• 32. At 12:38pm on 09 Feb 2009, Screamingmuldoon wrote:

Nice virtually knowing y'all. I'm off screaming into the hills following an email telling me that a comment I made days ago has been withdrawn.

Clearly freedom of speech is some kind of blasphemy at the BBC. The word I used rhymes with dental. I sense a whole new vocab coming on.

So, bbc, join me in praying for our souls everywhere, particularly the merchant bankers.

Bye