The Glass Box for Friday.

Eddie Mair | 16:31 UK time, Friday, 23 January 2009

glassa.jpgThis is the Glass Box the PM team meets in at 18.00 every weeknight to discuss the content of the programme.

We try to be honest with each other, but not hurtful, as we talk about what worked and what didn't...what met our expectations and what fell short.

This virtual glass box is where you're encouraged to take part in the same spirit. The editor of the day, Mark Frankel and his deputy Richard Lawson, will read your comments and may well add their own.

Comments

• 1. At 5:26pm on 23 Jan 2009, Chris Ghoti wrote:

Thank you for the report on the BBC's decision not to broadcast the appeal for humanitarian aid for the tens of thousands of people in the Gaza Strip who have had their houses destroyed and lack clean water and so forth.

I find this very sad. We may dislike Hamas, but these people are not Hamas first and human beings in trouble second, they are first and foremost human beings, and only as a secondary consideration some of them may have supported Hamas when it was elected to government. The children can't have voted for the regime the BBC find unacceptable, in any case.

Would the BBC refuse to offer broadcasting time for any other area whose ruling party was not politically what can be acceptable to them? I seem to remember that there has apparently been no problem with appealing for aid for people who were the victims of disaster in areas that had fairly loathesome regimes in power, on previous occasions.

I don't like this policy one little bit.

• 2. At 5:30pm on 23 Jan 2009, Ed Iglehart wrote:

Seconded!

• 3. At 5:46pm on 23 Jan 2009, Martin Lack wrote:

RE: advertising executive

"Uncertainty" is not an adjective!

• 4. At 5:47pm on 23 Jan 2009, LondonArthur wrote:

What in the name of humanity is the BBC doing? What wrongs have the Palestinian people committed to be treated in this way? All BBC employees should be ashamed by this decision. Tomorrow the Stop the War Coalition are starting their weekly, 70000+ strong demonstration from the BBC offices in central London as a protest at their lop-sided reporting during the war on Gaza. With decisions like this, you can see why.

• 5. At 5:48pm on 23 Jan 2009, funnyJoedunn wrote:

I missed the crucial part of this report, why again did BBC refuse appeal?

• 6. At 5:52pm on 23 Jan 2009, neoGrandad wrote:

To Eddie and team.
    I also thank you for the piece on the B.B.C's attitude to the Disaster Appeals Commitee. However, I thought the PM team rolled over too quickly. I refer people to page 10 of todays Times, where it is made quite clear that the BBC decision has far reaching effects, and I still say that attitude is appaling, and is in effect racist.

• 7. At 5:56pm on 23 Jan 2009, Fifi wrote:

Chris (1) : Thirded! A despicable decision, thinly justified.

I'd like PM to interview the senior individual who made the ultimate decision. I'd like ME to interview the person who did it, in fact!

• 8. At 5:57pm on 23 Jan 2009, The Stainless Steel Cat wrote:

:o)

Thanks very much for the elocution records item. Great fun!

Wasn't Michael Aspel (mostly) posh?

• 9. At 5:59pm on 23 Jan 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

Is a group named HAMas really Muslim?

• 10. At 5:59pm on 23 Jan 2009, petepassword wrote:

That's where Trevor Macdonald's very strange diction comes from. Bet he's got that elocewshun set. What a gem.

• 11. At 6:03pm on 23 Jan 2009, funnyJoedunn wrote:

Whatever they said the reason was, you can bet it wasn't the real one.

• 12. At 6:04pm on 23 Jan 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

SSC 8, As I said elsewhere, Aspel doesn't sound like that now.

• 13. At 6:05pm on 23 Jan 2009, neoGrandad wrote:

LA @4 says:"All BBC employees should be ashamed by this decision."
    Absolutely right. I seem to remember a BBC rebelion and "strike" some years ago when, if I am right, one of their correspondents was killed in Gaza by Israel troops? Double standards?
    How dissapointing the usual prattle is being posted by others, when this very serious subject is on the agenda

• 14. At 6:06pm on 23 Jan 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

The announcer in the Eurotunnel trains sounds just like John Humphrys.

• 15. At 6:07pm on 23 Jan 2009, funnyJoedunn wrote:

Elocution is what you get when you stick your fingers in the plug socket

• 16. At 6:08pm on 23 Jan 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

I'd love to have a copy of that set. I just got a thingy for Christmas that copies all speeds of records on to CDs. It doesn't have a needle for 78s, but one is available....

• 17. At 6:09pm on 23 Jan 2009, TheFirstRalph wrote:

It seems to be call people you disagree with racist day today.

And a 'grammar school' teacher thinking criticising a regional British accent is 'racist'

• 18. At 6:10pm on 23 Jan 2009, Perky wrote:

Chris (1) Fourth-ed, if there is such a thing. I find this decision both sad and inexplicable. I don't recall the BBC pulling out of other DEC appeals because they were reporting on the ongoing conflict.

I hope the publicity DEC gets for the withdrawal of broadcasting support helps them to raise the money they need.

• 19. At 6:11pm on 23 Jan 2009, H wrote:

The Michael Aspel record must cause him some amusement and a fair bit of embarrassment.

Wait on, though, it was certainly dated, but not without some merit.

The final example of the "correct" classless accent was not far off (was it off at all?) the clarity with which Radio 4 newsreaders speak today.

We can all learn from good examples. There is nothing elitist about it, just open your mind to good practice.

• 20. At 6:11pm on 23 Jan 2009, funnyJoedunn wrote:

The wor-a in Ma-jor-a dont taste like it or-a.

Nor do the chips!

• 21. At 6:32pm on 23 Jan 2009, bing1972 wrote:

I think the BBC's decision not to broadcast the appeal for aid to Gaza was correct. There is no doubt that Gaza will be in receipt of a significant amount of aid which I certainly agree with. One of my concerns is the evidence which shows Hamas is resuming it's work on the tunnels which will no doubt lead to a conflict similar to the one we've just witnessed.

I think the problem here is that there is too much political posturing by the BBC and as this is a public broadcasting organisation people within it who wish to affiliate to a political cause have the right to do so away from this medium.

The BBC should not be a tool for political purposes.

Gazan's are now speaking out about what happened during this conflict which contradicts many of the unsubstantiated reports the BBC has broadcast. I have to wonder if we'll ever hear their version of events.

As for the elocution tape it put me in mind of some of the pedantic tosh I've read on this blog.

• 22. At 6:39pm on 23 Jan 2009, RachelG wrote:

The decision not to broadcast the appeal is wrong. And the decision not to put up someone to be interviewed about the refusal is also wrong.

DEC appeals will frequently be in parts of the world where there is political controversy. The great thing, I would have thought, about the DEC is that it takes the decision about whether the crisis justifies the appeal so that the BBC can quite reasonably stand at arms length from it. It is a bad precedent to refuse this appeal. From now on we can expect political squealing from some quarter or another whenever one of these appeals is launched. Foolish, wrong, inhumane.

• 23. At 6:50pm on 23 Jan 2009, Charlie wrote:

This new US President's doing just fine...

"Stem-cell therapy gives hope to accident victims"

• 24. At 7:13pm on 23 Jan 2009, RachelG wrote:

And this Charlie:

• 25. At 7:30pm on 23 Jan 2009, Chris Ghoti wrote:

Well, Hurrah for Obama's decision to let organisations that advocate or assist with the provision of contraception get charity money. About time that particular silliness got sorted: there's an over-population crisis and an AIDS crisis, and condoms help against both these things.

• 26. At 7:51pm on 23 Jan 2009, Charlie wrote:

RachelG

Thanks for that.

Another good decision from the new President.

I think this fellow's going to be one of the greatest ever (so far) US Presidents

• 27. At 8:23pm on 23 Jan 2009, neoGrandad wrote:

TFR @17
    "Deciding not to run a charity appeal isn't racist per se. Unless you (No 6) can show evidence that it is racist you shouldn't devalue the term."

I'll go with Dame SUZI LEATHER on 'Any Questions?' and the audience in Devon. This story will run and run. Another B.B.C. mistake.

• 28. At 10:21pm on 23 Jan 2009, neoGrandad wrote:

Are blogs limited to 500 resonses? I, and I suspect Ed Inglehart, on the 'Editors blog, have had posts 'moderated, beyond 500. This is BBC censorship. Get that woman who was on 'The World Tonight' to go to Gaza and face the reality.

• 29. At 11:13pm on 23 Jan 2009, mittfh wrote:

Have the BBC forgotten that it was only after Hamas had taken control of the strip that a certain reporter being held hostage was released?

What the region needs is lots of aid, and just as importantly, the citizens to be actively engaged in the reconstruction of their land. If the majority of young men are gainfully employed in rebuilding their homes / shops / infrastructure, they're probably going to be a lot less likely to send an invitation to their neighbours to bulldoze it or blow it up.

And if border crossings are opened up into Israel and sufficient quantities of supplies are allowed to cross, then tunnel usage can be minimised. If the majority of the demand for supplies is met through legitimate means, there'll be less of a need to supply it through illegitimate means.

• 30. At 11:44pm on 23 Jan 2009, Ed Iglehart wrote:

NeoGrandad (a name for which I'm soon to be qualified -:)),

When posts go over 500, this software starts a new page, with only a tiny "next" just above left of the input box, and when you post, it returns you to #500. You have to click on "next" (if you happen to notice it) to see if your post got through...Posts 501-510 tend to contain a few duplicates...

;-)
    ed

• 31. At 11:58pm on 23 Jan 2009, Chris Ghoti wrote:

mittfh @ 29, when you wrote

"And if border crossings are opened up into Israel and sufficient quantities of supplies are allowed to cross, then tunnel usage can be minimised. If the majority of the demand for supplies is met through legitimate means, there'll be less of a need to supply it through illegitimate means"

I was suddenly reminded of how successful Prohibition was in preventing people from drinking alcohol (and buying it from crooks because that was the only way to get it) and how well the drug laws are doing in preventing people from using drugs (bought from crooks because etc).

• 32. At 11:59pm on 23 Jan 2009, U13795307 wrote:

I always read this blog and listen to the program, me.

To date I haven't posted myself.

So here goes!

Testing, as they say!

• 33. At 00:00am on 24 Jan 2009, U13795307 wrote:

Goodness, that WAS a surprise!

I do hope it checks out OK.

• 34. At 00:50am on 24 Jan 2009, Big Sister wrote:

ptoao: You're looking horribly familiar .... though I hope I may be wrong.

• 35. At 00:56am on 24 Jan 2009, U13795307 wrote:

Wow, that didn't take long!

What happens now?

• 36. At 01:03am on 24 Jan 2009, U13795307 wrote:

I've just seen the post from Big Sister.
    No, I don't think we've met as yet. (From the posts of yours I've read from time to time).
    Though at one time I did think you might be someone famous from years ago.
    One of twins. Completely wrong I'm sure.

'Looking horribly familiar' sounds as if I have a knowing leer.
    I'll try to keep a demure expression, if so!

• 37. At 01:08am on 24 Jan 2009, U13795307 wrote:

I MUST go to bed! I haven't got a clean bill of health, so staying up later would be very risky indeed.

• 38. At 07:54am on 24 Jan 2009, funnyJoedunn wrote:

I just heard Tony Ben on the Today program saying that they would have to throw him out of the studio to stop him reading out address to send Gaza donations to. Ed Sturton seemed to feel quite awkward and quickly drew the interview to an end. Ben was going through his second reading of the appeal address when steady Eddie had to bring it to an end. Well worth a listen.

• 39. At 12:18pm on 24 Jan 2009, Ed Iglehart wrote:

• 40. At 12:49pm on 24 Jan 2009, Ed Iglehart wrote:

• 41. At 1:13pm on 24 Jan 2009, Ed Iglehart wrote:

• 42. At 1:18pm on 24 Jan 2009, Ed Iglehart wrote:

• 43. At 1:20pm on 24 Jan 2009, Ed Iglehart wrote:

• 44. At 1:34pm on 24 Jan 2009, Ed Iglehart wrote:

The message I get is that it is off topic to discuss the item which was part of the programme to which this thread is directly concerned and of which the topic of a number of comments has been the very consortium of charities, to wit: The DEC, which consists of: Action Aid, British Red Cross, CAFOD, CARE International UK, Christian Aid, Concern Worldwide, Help the Aged, Islamic Relief, Merlin, Oxfam, Save the Children, Tearfund, World Vision.

GRRRRRR!

• 45. At 2:28pm on 24 Jan 2009, Older than the Pyramids wrote:

A number of contributors have commented upon the apparent lack of consistency, having regard to previous appeals.

That said, I hope that the future policy of the BBC will be to report on the fact that the appeal is taking place (a legitimate news item) but leave it to the efforts of potential supporters to discover the channels through which they may contribute.

• 46. At 2:43pm on 24 Jan 2009, Ed Iglehart wrote:

Forfarian,

"A big difference is that those were, by and large, natural disasters - NOT the result of political/military action by a foreign government."

e.g. Darfur, Congo, ....

• 47. At 3:11pm on 24 Jan 2009, Older than the Pyramids wrote:

#46 Ed Iglehart

Are you suggesting I should have qualified my reference to foreign governments by adding "with access to nuclear weapons"?

• 48. At 3:19pm on 24 Jan 2009, Ed Iglehart wrote:

Forfarian,

;-O

• 49. At 3:36pm on 24 Jan 2009, Ed Iglehart wrote:

Feeble BBC

• 50. At 4:35pm on 24 Jan 2009, RxKaren wrote:

I actually felt quite irritated by the BBC decision when I heard it on PM. I saw the Newsnight interview and felt irritated and patronised. One question I haven't heard asked is whether the DEC fund to ease the plight of those affected by the conflict in Gaza extends to those people in Israel who were subjected to the rocket attacks.

One of the organisations that form part of the DEC is the British Red Cross Society - the Red Cross national societies (Palestinian Red Crescent and Magen David Adom) have been working with the population on both sides of the border in accordance with the organisation's Seven Fundamental Principles. The activities of both Societies are reported on the BRCS Gaza Crisis website on which they are inviting donations for their crisis fund.

The organisations that form the DEC have considerable experience in delivering aid impartially to areas of crisis. Inevitably the money will not be divided equally down the middle but according to greatest need. If the DEC efforts are going to support all communities affected by the conflict and this is made clear in the broadcast then I feel that the appeal should be carried by the BBC.

• 51. At 5:08pm on 24 Jan 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

EI 39, etc, You're popular today.

The BBC is never wrong.

• 52. At 5:18pm on 24 Jan 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

So, a repeat of the Olympic ceremonies. The quartet mimed the music. At least it was the real people.

• 53. At 5:20pm on 24 Jan 2009, U13795307 wrote:

Goodness me, this blog DOES seem to be getting very controversial! Is it safe to comment?

• 54. At 5:25pm on 24 Jan 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

p 25, NO!

• 55. At 5:40pm on 24 Jan 2009, Sid wrote:

• 56. At 5:41pm on 24 Jan 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

So, the iPM program is moving to early in the morning next week. I'll really miss it.....yawn...

• 57. At 5:53pm on 24 Jan 2009, Ed Iglehart wrote:

Still "off topic"?

How long will Sid's effort survive. I wonders...

Politetheoneandonly, It's safe, so long as you're not easily offended ;-)

Salaam/Shalom/Shanthi/Peace
    ed

• 58. At 6:36pm on 24 Jan 2009, Sid wrote:

Still there, Ed ... I've already given, as they say ...

• 59. At 6:44pm on 24 Jan 2009, Ed Iglehart wrote:

Sid,

Different strokes for different Mods, I reckon

;-)
    ed

• 60. At 7:23pm on 24 Jan 2009, steelpulse wrote:

Ed Iglehart

After enjoying a tennis match the other day - two "opposing groups" started a small ruckus somewhere over seas. Deckchairs at dawn.

A tennis match?

Relax. I have been "off topic" for two years now at least. I expound elsewhere on the Web - otherwise "Small explosion in England" would be a news item. But nary a deckchair gets thrown.

And do not say the topic monitored off hasn't had a good media airing today - albeit in controversial circumstances.

It has and will for many days to come.

• 61. At 7:27pm on 24 Jan 2009, Ed Iglehart wrote:

SteelPulse, Namaste -

Even though I'm American I recognise the irony that the appeal couldn't have gotten better exposure than the BBC's feebleness has contrived....;-)

Salaam/Shalom/Shanthi/Peace
    ed

• 62. At 7:38pm on 24 Jan 2009, makeitclear wrote:

Oh dear, I posted my very first blog comment (re the BBC's refusal to assist the humanitarian appeal in Gaza) in the wrong "Glass Box"!(Thursday's). Anyone interested, it's the last one for that day.

• 63. At 8:01pm on 24 Jan 2009, Sid wrote:

I'm wondering whether this is the beginning of the end for the BBC ... this isn't the first thing they've got wrong lately, is it?

Ho hum ...

• 64. At 8:03pm on 24 Jan 2009, Sid wrote:

I'm thinking - Wossy and Brand ... Thought for the day ... Gaza ...

They've lost the plot, haven't they?

• 65. At 8:03pm on 24 Jan 2009, Ed Iglehart wrote:

Makeitclear (62),

Never mind, it's right here, and I second your comments without reservation!

;-)
    ed

• 66. At 8:03pm on 24 Jan 2009, Sid wrote:

And Ed Stourton ...

• 67. At 8:16pm on 24 Jan 2009, Charlie wrote:

Interesting...

Did TGB get "It" from the Airlines or, the Airlines from TGB..?

And now, maybe the NHS will benefit...

Great!

"Before take-off, every pilot needs to brief their crew about what to expect.
    At the end of each flight, they talk briefly about what went right, what went wrong and what could be done better.
    Pilots say this brief and debrief system has reduced errors and made flying safer, and a growing number of NHS medics think this system should be adapted - to make surgery safer."

• 68. At 8:20pm on 24 Jan 2009, Charlie wrote:

Rare Courage indeed...

"A short stay in Switzerland"

• 69. At 8:30pm on 24 Jan 2009, gallantSocrates wrote:

To my favourite Aunty....for the last 30 years this time you have got it wrong over Gaza...and if Lovely Marina Hyde is correct in the Guardian today.....you also probably got it wrong about Jonathan Ross...55,000 people reading probably the biggest load of Tosh in the whole Universe the Daily Mail.. who had never heard or seen him...perhaps, complained what he said a few months ago...and you bended to their power...and if Tony Benn is right today you have bent to the Jewish lobby...when hundreds of thousands of poor people are in desperate need...

My take on this goes like this in 1983 I started my road in to higher Education with the OU...you could say that I am the male version of Education Rita...my Tutor of the time was very Left wing and from what I could glean from him never listened to the BBC because I presume it was too Rightwing...only a few years ago I worked for a very Rich family who never listened to the BBC because I presume they thought it was too Left wing...food for thought....and the day that Brian Readhead died was to me one of the sadest days of my life...

Brian

BVP

• 70. At 8:39pm on 24 Jan 2009, makeitclear wrote:

Ed Iglehart

How did you DO that?!! Thanks (and no, don't tell me...unless it's really really easy!)

• 71. At 8:50pm on 24 Jan 2009, Ed Iglehart wrote:

Makeitclear,

It's a good idea to make a few posts - it doesn't matter what you say, but after a half-dozen or so you'll become a "trusted" poster, and your comments will appear almost instantly...

Good luck
    ed

• 72. At 11:20pm on 24 Jan 2009, U13794353 wrote:

politetheoneandonly (many) - Ah PML you're back again. Going to bore us again with your views repetitive postings on economics/socialism?

• 73. At 00:37am on 25 Jan 2009, Ed Iglehart wrote:

Makeitclear,

It is easy. The timestamp on every post is also the URL (web address) for that post.

Right-click on it and you should be offered 'copy link location' (or similar) click on that, and then paste that wherever you want to. So, for your post on Thursday's glassbox, the URL is:

[Unsuitable/Broken URL removed by Moderator]

That's the simplest way.

If you want it to look like this, you'll have to go here to learn a couple of simple tricks

Try it, and you'll feel so slick!

Good luck, and keep posting (anything) so you'll be a "trusted" commentor...Also, visit the Beach and join the happy froggers...

;-)
    ed

• 74. At 01:09am on 25 Jan 2009, Ed Iglehart wrote:

It would be easy if the software didn't insert rubbish

or this

GRRRRRR!

G'night all

• 75. At 09:45am on 25 Jan 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

EI 61, Sorry, we Americans don't understand irony.

• 76. At 10:35am on 25 Jan 2009, makeitclear wrote:

Ed Iglehart

Thaks Ed (again). The delay is a pain. I'll put up a few more shorties and try to get the BBC to trust me (there's irony everywhere isn't there!)

• 77. At 10:42am on 25 Jan 2009, makeitclear wrote:

...even an American should get that one!

• 78. At 10:49am on 25 Jan 2009, Ed Iglehart wrote:

Makeitclear,

Just a couple more posts (meaningless or not), and you'll be a "trusty"! As to the linking to a post, it's all in the fact that the datestamp (At xx:xxam on xx Jan 2009...) It's a link, and can be copied and pasted anywhere.

Yours at #70:

Links tutorial

Keep posting
    ed

• 79. At 1:09pm on 25 Jan 2009, makeitclear wrote:

Ed Eglehart

...copy and pasting....now your leading me into scary technical territory! Thanks for the link...I'll take a look.

• 80. At 1:11pm on 25 Jan 2009, makeitclear wrote:

...does anybody know if Barclays Bank has closed down yet?

• 81. At 1:56pm on 25 Jan 2009, Charlie wrote:

So, PM might be broadcast for only three-days-a-week..?

P-L-E-A-S-E, Mr BBC, don't put Mr J Woss on-air in the PM slot, as a subsistute...

"Britain is facing return of three-day week
    Shorter hours would be preferable to mass unemployment, say government sources"

• 82. At 2:48pm on 25 Jan 2009, makeitclear wrote:

....three day week, and they've only just decided it is actually, just, (technically and all that) a recession.

When it's a REAL, fully fledged, dyed in the wool recession w'll all be at cheese and wines every day!

(anyone remember cheese and wines....?)

(getting more meaningless Ed...)

• 83. At 3:58pm on 25 Jan 2009, makeitclear wrote:

The BBC perhaps should reconsider it's use of the term News Flash, at least in realation to Israeli "Conflicts" (Ha!) in case the Isaraelis feel it may be some kind of veiled reference to the use of phospherous weaponry and be offended by this.

Or perhaps the term could be restricted to matters related to the high seas or rural areas, that is, not built up areas, which of course as we all know are very few and far between in Gaza...

• 84. At 5:32pm on 25 Jan 2009, Ed Iglehart wrote:

Are you a trusty yet?

Salaam, etc.
    ed

• 85. At 6:27pm on 25 Jan 2009, U13795307 wrote:

55.

Thank you for that post. I found it very useful.

The matter still seems to be top of the agenda to many, but how are they to know your valuable post is there?

• 86. At 6:47pm on 25 Jan 2009, makeitclear wrote:

Yes...I've made it!

• 87. At 10:46pm on 25 Jan 2009, U13794353 wrote:

politetheoneandonly(85) - That post wasn't nearly as boring as most of yours. Hardly a repetitive word. Aren't you trying as you should be?

• 88. At 09:16am on 26 Jan 2009, Mike Souter wrote:

The BBC Director General finally has to go. He has presided over too many issues which have damaged the Corporation's hard-won reputation.

He had an opportunity this morning to properly explain the BBC's decision not to allow the Disasters Emergency Committee Appeal. Yet again, he floundered, procrastinated and dithered.

Mr. Thompson, fall on your sword.

• 89. At 09:47am on 26 Jan 2009, The Stainless Steel Cat wrote:

MDSouter (88):

I agree. Mr. Thompson's decision "to avoid the impression of bias" to me shows just the opposite.

The news today that a certain other news channel - which some cynical people believe to be less than a paragon of unbiased reporting, though not as bad as its USian cousin - is also not going to broadcast the appeal, just shows how how the BBCs decision is.

Well done to Sequin on Saturday for letting Mr Benn say his piece.

• 90. At 09:50am on 26 Jan 2009, Big Sister wrote:

On the issue of the Beeb's refusal to broadcast the DEC appeal, it strikes me as bizarre that the organisation is incapable (it would appear) of finding a formula that would allow the appeal to be broadcast without feeling that its impartiality hadn't been compromised. After all, the bottom line might be that the broadcast referred to the casualties on the Israeli side, but went on to say that there are not the resources in Gaza to cope with the needs of the situation there.

At the end of the day, we are not talking about supporting one government or another - we are talking about providing relief and medical supplies to the many civilian casualties who are indubitably in the middle of a major crisis.

And if Israel objects to such help, are they intending to step in and provide it themselves?

• 91. At 10:21am on 26 Jan 2009, ingeniousCliff wrote:

It now needs someone at the BBC to have the courage to disagree with the BBC stance on Gaza. Otherwise we start this new year as weak, tragic appeasers. We have just watched many people killed by Israel (many children). Is the most that people in the public eye can say just amounting to a few mumbled words about how awful it is. Speak out or it will come back on us. I know you are frightened about losing your job , but have a bit of backbone.The Israeli lobby has alot of power but cannot withstand some well known voices. Israel needs helping from itself, it has become an expert at victimhood and bullying at the same time. Come on BBC staff, stop twitching your curtains and speak.

• 92. At 10:39am on 26 Jan 2009, U13795307 wrote:

I do aplogise for asking you, but does your first sentence say waht you want it to? I never was very good at subjunctives, conditionals, modalities, multiple negatives and other elegant nuances that you so skillfully employ. To my simple (but innumerably repeated) reading of that sentence you seem to be saying thee BBC cannot both be impartial and broadcast the appeal. Is that your view? It can't be surely. It's just a simple mistake in the middle of sophisticated complexity isn't it? Or am I the weakest link?

• 93. At 10:40am on 26 Jan 2009, U13795307 wrote:

Sid, at 54, by offering this link/address:

circumvents the problem to some degree. For which relief much thanks. But that is not to APPEAL on behalf of the Palestinian people.

Am I right in thinking this blog wants to appeal on behalf of the Palestinian people? Would that really be a proper purpose fro an impartial blog?

• 94. At 10:52am on 26 Jan 2009, Big Sister wrote:

92: I respect the BBC's need to be seen to be impartial, but I feel that there is a formula by which their impartiality could be preserved yet the DEC appeal broadcast.

Is that plain enough?

• 95. At 11:08am on 26 Jan 2009, Big Sister wrote:

Hm. Being polite clearly isn't enough .....

• 96. At 12:22pm on 26 Jan 2009, Ed Iglehart wrote:

• 97. At 12:40pm on 26 Jan 2009, U13794353 wrote:

Mac/PML/youllallguess.etc/politetheoneandonly/U13795307 and out (93) - For once I agree - you are the weakest link. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Big Sister's sentence.

I suspect your need to criticise overpowered your ability to read.

Why not give us several more repetitive diatribes on economics/socialism/etc.?

• 98. At 1:10pm on 26 Jan 2009, Chris Ghoti wrote:

I'm probably showing my age, but this situation in Gaza reminds me of the one in Biafra many years ago. A strong government whose territory surrounded that of another people used their superior position to destroy the weaker power.

Cue iconic picture of a toddler with spindly arms and legs and a distended belly, clearly starving to death.

Impartiality be hanged, really. These protestations from the BBC cut very little ice. Are they trying to drive everyone into opposition to their stance, and into the arms of Hamas, or what?

• 99. At 1:40pm on 26 Jan 2009, Ed Iglehart wrote:

• 100. At 1:52pm on 26 Jan 2009, U12196018 wrote:

ED I (99)- Yes, a bit silly and petty. But anyone can enter the words DEC Gaza and Appeal into their favourite search engine (as Mr Mair would say) and it is likely that the first few finds will include the DEC site. Certainly works on Gaagle.

• 101. At 1:54pm on 26 Jan 2009, UptheTrossachs wrote:

Not Sure Ed
    are they?

• 102. At 2:47pm on 26 Jan 2009, Ed Iglehart wrote:

Utt, "Are they"

Yup! See #96, and there are about ten emails in my inbox explaining that my postings are "off topic"

Harrrruuuumpfhhh!
    ;-)
    ed

• 103. At 3:12pm on 26 Jan 2009, The Stainless Steel Cat wrote:

Ed (102):

Off topic in the Glass Box, perhaps, but not in the "BBC and the DEC" thread, surely.

(Also known as "DG Wears A Garish Green Tie" thread.)

• 104. At 4:16pm on 26 Jan 2009, Ed Iglehart wrote:

SSC,

How can the lead item on every news bulletin be off topic on the glassbox?

;-) Slainte!
    ed

• 105. At 4:21pm on 26 Jan 2009, Ed Iglehart wrote:

Example:
    Postings to BBC blogs will be removed if they advertise products or services for profit or gain.

Posts to the BBC blogs should not contain advertising or promotion of any kind. This may include links to personal websites or forums, surveys and questionnaires, or details of charity or fund-raising events that fall outside the BBC's Editorial Guidelines.
    ...Regards,

The BBC Blog Team

Subject:
    The BBC and the DEC.

Posting:
    Impartiality or Paranoia?

I see the Mods are still expunging any links involving the unnameable charity...sad, isn't it?

http colon slash slash home2 slash btconnect dot com slash tipiglen slash blankweb dot html to them!

Or just plain silly!

• 106. At 4:28pm on 26 Jan 2009, U12196018 wrote:

Ed I (105) - lordBeddGelert posted the link on the 'BBC and DEC' thread earlier this afternoon and it's still there.

• 107. At 4:49pm on 26 Jan 2009, Chris Ghoti wrote:

Ed I, well, they have cleverly managed to get us arguing about their policy rather than about Gaza or the news story, so I suppose there is some sort of method in their madness...

• 108. At 4:57pm on 26 Jan 2009, David_McNickle wrote:

EI 105, Give it a rest. You're beginning to sound like pmL.

• 109. At 5:01pm on 26 Jan 2009, makeitclear wrote:

Humphreys was nearly at his best this morning, measured, insistent and incisive with a confused and dissembling Director General, who made a gabbling farce of a defence for his blatant deference to the Israelis in turning his back on a human catastrophe in Gaza, neatly sidestepping the question about Darrefour in doing so. (Hence Humphreys NEARLY...but not quite at his best...!)

Whilst this may be consistent with unofficial BBC policy toward the Israelis, (we are all aware of this by now) it is particularly offensive in the current context, and in the irony implicit in the reasons given.

Perhaps he may draw some comfort from the Murdoch Empire having come out in support. Perhaps he may feel that Rupert Murdoch may be good role moral for the morally bankrupt BBC, (and perhaps it may improve matters!)

The BBC is a world icon to which the world looks for humanity and compassion as well as journalistic professionalism. What we are seeing here is a Director General who has abandoned heart and integrity, pedalling flimsy and depressingly transparent arguments in a "jobsworth" way.

People have lost everything and are suffering and dying all the while. It is shameful; I am ashamed.

• 110. At 5:24pm on 26 Jan 2009, makeitclear wrote:

Big Sister

Your point is well made about Israel providing the aid themselves. Or if not, perhaps the USA might wish to make a small deduction from the billions it bankrolls the Israelis with to pay for the damage?

A sort of "Polluter pays" policy...we could call it "Destroyer divvies up".

The world has to pay billions EVERY TIME the Israelis venture forth on a mission of death and destruction( read: election campaign).

Perhaps the BBC might run a special on this instead of quivering in it's sad little boots rather than assisting the disposessed, wounded and dying in case someone is offended (WHO?) (There's a poser for you...go on, have a guess...)

• 111. At 5:27pm on 26 Jan 2009, Sid wrote: