Hugh was on Broadcasting House

Eddie Mair | 08:57 UK time, Monday, 15 December 2008

yesterday, visiting a village which is part of Kabul city, a short drive from the centre. Hugh will also be on PM tonight. Here are some of Hugh's words and pictures to go with his BH report:

m1.JPG
"The view on the way into the village. It feels like rural Afghanistan, but it's part of Kabul. Here are some of the people I met in the main street:

m2.JPG

m3.JPG

m4.JPG

m5.JPG

m6.JPG

m7.JPG

And this is the village mosque:

m8.JPG

m9.JPG
Winter shadows. As you heard on BH, there is such poverty in this beautiful place that many families in the village survive on 'barmul' rice - which is usually used only for feeding chickens."

Comments

• 1. At 09:29am on 15 Dec 2008, Big Sister wrote:

The way you make their eyes twinkle, Hugh, is testament to your wonderful way with people. I listened to your report yesterday morning from my sickbed, and I was transported into Afghanistan as it really is, rather than what the warmongers have tried to make it.

The pictures are, as ever, wonderful, and I know we've said this many times before - and you've teased us with your responses - but WHEN WILL THE BOOK BE PUBLISHED? (Capitals don't mean I'm shouting, just that I'm trying to elicit a response)

Take care, Hugh, and I hope you'll be home for a long and happy Christmas. But, selfishly, I also hope we'll be hearing much more from you.

• 2. At 09:48am on 15 Dec 2008, jonnie wrote:

Re; BigSis,

After the email yesterday you sounded as if you were at death's door (ie oly being able to check the Internet once a day from your sickbed? :-( but reassuring that the mention of Hugh has transformed you back into the BigSis that we know and love!

• 3. At 09:57am on 15 Dec 2008, Big Sister wrote:

Jonnie, that's very sweet of you. There's a little way to go yet, I'm afraid - I've definitely got the flu, with a chest infection to boot, but modern antibiotics are slowly working to sort out the latter and time and lots of fluids will finally win over the former.

It's not like me to stay in bed, but had little option. Today, I'm hoping, will be a half in, half out day. Oh, and no alcohol. :o(

• 4. At 10:06am on 15 Dec 2008, justfloating wrote:

What infectious smiles!

Few would not feel better after seeing those.

PS. What is the temperature?

• 5. At 10:52am on 15 Dec 2008, U12915933 wrote:

Big Sister (3) - Speaking as a medical man, I would advise that being 'half in, half out' of bed is likely to exacerbate your condition rather ameliorate it. In any event, it is bound to be uncomfortable.

I agree about the alcohol though.

• 6. At 11:12am on 15 Dec 2008, Simon wrote:

My favourite is the one of the old chap with his splendid white beard. There's so many reasons why; his skin textures, his expression, but most of all his eyes. There's a lifetime of experiences written across his face.

Would love to have seen a close-up head-shot in monochrome, like an old-fashioned reportage picture.

Well done though Hughthehack.

WR.

• 7. At 11:17am on 15 Dec 2008, Big Sister wrote:

5: Thanks for the advice, now speak to me as a frankfurter.

I wondered why I found bed so uncomfortable ;o)

• 8. At 11:27am on 15 Dec 2008, Anne P. wrote:

Thank you again, Hugh. Your ability to show people as real people both in sound and picture is deeply valued.

And like Big Sis - I'd love to see a book, perhaps with an accompanying CD of some of your reports.

• 9. At 11:46am on 15 Dec 2008, U12915933 wrote:

Big Sister (3) - Speaking as a frankfurter - "Have you got any mustard?"

I heard Hugh's piece on BH. As always he paints a picture with words. He can give a better view of a place and situation in 2 or 3 minutes than most journalists could do in a 30 minute TV report. I can't think of anyone else on radio in the same league as Hugh.

• 10. At 11:56am on 15 Dec 2008, Big Sister wrote:

Dr.F:

I agree with you 100 per cent about Hugh. He certainly cuts the mustard.

And speaking of mustard - would you prefer German, French, or English? ;o)

• 11. At 1:15pm on 15 Dec 2008, thenicecatlady wrote:

Thank you Hugh, once again your photographs speak volumes.

I would also like to know when the book is coming out.

• 12. At 1:48pm on 15 Dec 2008, racheinderbys wrote:

Thanks, Hugh for the photos but especially for the report, which was one of the best things I have heard on the radio this year.

• 13. At 11:03am on 16 Dec 2008, Hugh wrote:

justfloating:

Not snowing yet, but around freezing at night in Kabul at the moment.

Get Well Soon Big Sister.

If you are confined to your sickbed for 'flu or something comparable, Dr. Hugh prescribes raw garlic sandwiches - in fact raw garlic as often as possible throughout life.

I am 108 and it's served me well.

Thanks again for all the nice comments everyone.

Accuracy check: sorry, that's 58, not 108.

• 14. At 11:09am on 16 Dec 2008, Big Sister wrote:

PMHugh: Thank you so much for your kind wishes. I will hie me to the kitchen immediately and begin preparing a garlic sandwich. If nothing else, it will keep the vampires at bay.

The only thing that worries me (and you'll be able to answer this one, Hugh) - Does it also keep all your friends and loved ones at bay? Only, with Christmas approaching, I'd hate to find myself alone and unloved ;o)

P.S. It doesn't do to exaggerate about your age - BBC execs could be watching this, and we all now what happened to Ed Stourton ....