December the fifteenth.

Eddie Mair | 06:00 UK time, Monday, 15 December 2008

advent15a.jpg

From the Cransley. Now Christmas is officially here....

Comments

• 1. At 08:48am on 15 Dec 2008, The Stainless Steel Cat wrote:

If Christmas is officially here, can we bring in games?

Knight to bishop 3, *rolls dice* one, two three, four, five, six, seven... Take A Chance... "You have won second prize in a beauty contest, collect £10.", D5... a hit!, N-E-W-S, that's seven on a double word, that's fourteen, Totteridge and Whetstone, and I think the donkey's tail goes... *there*.

Now, who's for Dustman's Knock?

• 2. At 09:05am on 15 Dec 2008, includme wrote:

I was sad to note that yet again on a matter which deeply concerns most women, no woman was on your panel, i.e. Sunday’s discussion on assisted suicide.
    This is not the first time there has been a serious gender imbalance on your program. This attitude of religious bodies and programs to women and their views, as women become more assured of their right to hold views and express them, will cause more alienation of women from religion.

• 3. At 09:16am on 15 Dec 2008, Gillianian wrote:

Lovely pic, jonnie....but I'm afraid I'll have to have words with your SO about this tree.... It's not what we've come to expect ;o)
    But it's lovely, all the same!

• 4. At 09:25am on 15 Dec 2008, Big Sister wrote:

Jonnie, tell your SO that I managed to buy a Nordmann tree, 6ft 6ins high, for under 20 quid! I'm willing to disclose my sources for a Walnut Whip.

• 5. At 09:25am on 15 Dec 2008, annasee wrote:

Pretty decorations, but could you not have disguised the base a little? Just to cover up the fact that it's not a real tree? Nothing wrong with artificial, of course (e have one ourselves) but frankly, I would have expected a little more effort from you two... :-) Perhaps a well-placed cat or dog would have done the trick?

• 6. At 09:31am on 15 Dec 2008, Stewart_M wrote:

I think it needs a PAT test!!

• 7. At 09:31am on 15 Dec 2008, DI_Wyman wrote:

Plastic tree, no chocolate decorations and no fairy.....bah humbug!

• 8. At 09:46am on 15 Dec 2008, The Stainless Steel Cat wrote:

I *thwack* Stewart M (6) with my City and Guilds Certificate in Portable Appliance Testing to show him it's not a "Portable Appliance Testing Test"

Tch. It'll be PIN numbers next...

Eddie, Re: includme at 2. I agree about the gender imbalance on the programme. Either you're going to have to wear a dress (PM Panto anyone?) or take some more time off and let Sequin in more.

Hmmm, PM Panto. I bags Puss in Boots.

• 9. At 10:56am on 15 Dec 2008, Stewart_M wrote:

Okay cat I'm bruised and its a PA test. But that sounds like something you do in an interview!

• 10. At 11:00am on 15 Dec 2008, vainly_here wrote:

(2) Is that why the C of E has a preponderance of female members?

• 11. At 1:39pm on 15 Dec 2008, Ben wrote:

Stainless Steel Cat, I'm not sure Totteridge and Whetstone is allowed on a Monday in December.

I'll see your Totteridge and Whetstone and raise you Barbican.

• 12. At 1:55pm on 15 Dec 2008, gossipmistress wrote:

If the trees are today's project Jonnie, is this last year's?

• 13. At 3:25pm on 15 Dec 2008, patmartin wrote:

As a Pat I'm a bit worried about these tests. What do I have to do?

• 14. At 4:24pm on 15 Dec 2008, The Stainless Steel Cat wrote:

patmartin (13):

Well, the first test is a visual inspection to make sure you're not worn out.

Then we hook you up to a machine and pass a voltage through you to see what happens...

• 15. At 4:33pm on 15 Dec 2008, David_McNickle wrote:

At least I wasn't the first person to complain that it isn't a real tree. I don't like the color of the ornaments.

includme 2, Have you noticed the topic of this thread?

• 16. At 5:13pm on 15 Dec 2008, jonnie wrote:

Ahem! I have just seen this thread!

This isn't the Cransley tree!

Simon (SO) is mortified

he doesn't do coloured lights for a start - and the Cransley tree (going up tomorrow) will be a real one.

• 17. At 5:49pm on 15 Dec 2008, Big Sister wrote:

Oh, Eddie, now you're for it! ;o)

• 18. At 5:53pm on 15 Dec 2008, David_McNickle wrote:

I'll bet that tree was bought from the Woolies sale just like it is.

• 19. At 6:00pm on 15 Dec 2008, Chris Ghoti wrote:

SSC @ 1, I huff you: I think you'll find it's Yule Rules OK, so Colliers Wood to you. So that's fifteen-two, fifteen-four, two for his nob is six, and I'll build a hotel on Uppsala. Pounce.

• 20. At 6:06pm on 15 Dec 2008, annasee wrote:

Hooray Jonnie - you should be honoured - you see, we, your friends, KNEW you shouldn't have a tree like that! Hence the teasing. Thank goodness you noticed the mistake.

(Now perhaps you can find out why I mutated into John Humphreys and then Hugh Sykes on the Harp update thread - last time I looked I was still Hugh. Perhaps this is Hugh's Christmas tree featured here as well?)

• 21. At 6:08pm on 15 Dec 2008, Big Sister wrote:

Annasee, I spotted that a couple of days ago and tried to flag it up. I know we all love Hugh, but I don't think you look remotely alike ;o)

• 22. At 11:37pm on 15 Dec 2008, james l-t wrote:

I have seen the Cransley tree - and - it DOES look like that.

AND the exterior is the usual Blackpool illuminations - I feel for the neighbours.

• 23. At 10:45pm on 16 Dec 2008, mittfh wrote:

Hmmm....that tree looks remarkably similar to the one sitting in the lounge of my flat up here in Kenilworth...

Could it be coincidence that I happened to send Jonnie an MMS of it on request?

Oh, and the tree itself is from a catalogue store starting with the letter A, and the decorations from a supermarket also starting with the letter A...