Early Riser?

Eddie Mair | 09:54 UK time, Friday, 31 October 2008

iPM is on the air tomorrow at 0545. We want to know what our hundreds of thousands of listeners are DOING at that time on a Saturday morning. Click HERE to read more about Britain's early risers...and to share what YOU'RE up to.

Comments

• 1. At 10:13am on 31 Oct 2008, Stewart_M wrote:

I hope to still be far away in the land of nod! As a youth I used to do a milk round so did regularly see that time of the day and earlier.

• 2. At 10:29am on 31 Oct 2008, U13643995 wrote:

Well last Saturday at 0545 I was lying in bed listening to iPM. I think it is the first time that I've heard the Saturday programme all the way through.

• 3. At 10:58am on 31 Oct 2008, The Stainless Steel Cat wrote:

BrokenBronco (2):

Me too. I always have a lie in until six on a Saturday.

• 4. At 11:02am on 31 Oct 2008, Mrs Effingham wrote:

Zzzzzzzz...

• 5. At 12:33pm on 31 Oct 2008, Chris Ghoti wrote:

I have *seen* sunrise -- that's what happens after a really good party, isn't it?

(Actually I had to get up today for emergency dental work before the surgery was officially open, and I have decided definitively that I DON'T DO EARLY MORNINGS.)

• 6. At 12:50pm on 31 Oct 2008, annasee wrote:

Well - I would like to think I'd still be asleep. But if not, I'll certainly be listening in bed to iPM. With earphones, naturally, or I wouldn't be popular.

Anyway, what has iPM done to deserve the "graveyard slot"? (if that's what it's called. Or does that just mean late at night?) Have you been naughty, Eddie? If so, do tell. Our answerphone is always on, and Marc has the number...

• 7. At 12:58pm on 31 Oct 2008, nikki noodle wrote:

I shall be in a galaxy far far away....

• 8. At 12:59pm on 31 Oct 2008, eddiemair wrote:

annasee (6) it's a very complicated scheduling thing. Some of the time we're on at 17.30 and 24 minutes long...other times it's 0545 and 14 minutes long.

We rather like the change...

• 9. At 1:13pm on 31 Oct 2008, vainly_here wrote:

Well, I'm afraid I'll be missing iPM, all being well I'll be in a deep sleep.

• 10. At 1:25pm on 31 Oct 2008, gossipmistress wrote:

Sorry, far too early for me. I shall be wrapped up in my duvet!

• 11. At 1:25pm on 31 Oct 2008, littleFluffyFi wrote:

Well hopefully I will still be fast asleep.....more likely though I will be half awake, probably being kicked or elbowed in the head by either one, or both, of my children who will, at some point during the night, have crept into my bed.

• 12. At 1:33pm on 31 Oct 2008, eddiemair wrote:

But of course sleeping in is not excuse for not PODCASTING!!! ;o)

• 13. At 1:51pm on 31 Oct 2008, The Stainless Steel Cat wrote:

And remember, you don't actually need a pod to hear the podcast.

Of course, if you're actually *in* your pod a 05:45, perhaps assimilated a puny human and taking their form in order to spearhead an alien invasion, why not tune in anyway?

• 14. At 1:52pm on 31 Oct 2008, witchi wrote:

I'd usually be up pottering around and looking for the tawny owls, but seeing as tonight is a biggy they may just have to get home all by themselves!

• 15. At 1:53pm on 31 Oct 2008, The Stainless Steel Cat wrote:

Me (13):

*rolls eyes at myself*

Sorry, my typing is going to pot. (pod?)
    "...at 05:45..."
    "...assimilating..."

Maybe I'd better have a lie-in tomorrow.

• 16. At 2:30pm on 31 Oct 2008, annasee wrote:

I wonder if the "scheduling thing" was perhaps a mistake - someone at the BBC didn't bother with the the 24 hour clock, and thought - "Yeah,that iPM thing - sometimes we'll put it out at 5 30, sometimes 5 45. That'll keep them on their toes".And a junior translated the unfamiliar 5 45 pm into 05 45. Not realising the enormity of their error.

Surely heads should roll?

I "listened again" to PM last night while doing the ironing, having been out earlier. Just telling you so you can add an extra one to the audience figures for last night.

A thought. What is the BBC going to do with the £1 000 000 they're apparently saving on J Ross over the next 3 months. Has PM put in a bid?

• 17. At 2:35pm on 31 Oct 2008, gossipmistress wrote:

12 05.45 is 'Sleeping in'???!!

• 18. At 2:39pm on 31 Oct 2008, justfloating wrote:

Due to a forced job relocation we are now awake weekdays at that time. I wonder what will happen at the weekend, especially since I have been told I am doing a 12 mile walk over the moors tomorrow. It might be an early start, but I will be the last to know.

• 19. At 2:45pm on 31 Oct 2008, The Stainless Steel Cat wrote:

Gossipmistress (17):

It is for me (See 3). The early bird catches the worm... the early cat catches the bird. Worm: 0, Bird: 0, Cat: 1, Dog: still fawning over its humans, asking to go out... so: 0.

I do tend to have a catnap on a Saturday afternoon though, thus avoiding all the sport on telly and waking up in time for Ritala or Sequin.

• 20. At 2:50pm on 31 Oct 2008, gossipmistress wrote:

SSC (19) rather you than me! I used to do night-time 'on call' and getting up anytime before 6 made me feel nauseous. Can't do it anymore!

• 21. At 3:33pm on 31 Oct 2008, The Stainless Steel Cat wrote:

Gossipmistress (20):

I've always been an early morning person. Radio has a different quality at that time in the morning; the Shipping Forecast, the (now lost) Radio 4 UK theme, the handover from the World Service*, Whinging Today, er I mean Farming Today, Prayer for the Day**...

iPM fits very well into the timeslot.

* "You're listening to the World Service from the BBC..."
    "Actually, you're now listening to BBC Radio 4..."
    "Oi! I was talking!"
    "Go away, it's my turn now!"
    *crash* *thump* *pow* *biff*

** "Normally, I'm fast asleep at this time in the morning, and you know, in a very real sense, we are all fast asleep until the alarm clock of revelation purrs gently in our ear and the teasmaid of belief slops lukewarm tea into our metaphorical ear..."

• 22. At 4:20pm on 31 Oct 2008, chatterisgirl wrote:

I'll be watching the cricket from India- sorry, Eddie, but even iPM cannot compete with my Assie boys. I do promise to podcast though, if that is any help to your figures?

• 23. At 4:29pm on 31 Oct 2008, eddiemair wrote:

You are forgiven...

• 24. At 4:37pm on 31 Oct 2008, Fifi wrote:

Justfloating (18): You're not doing the Lyke Wake Walk I hope? Eeeeeek! You do get a badge in the shape of a coffin but it's not worth it for what they put you (or in my case, your SO) through!

• 25. At 4:40pm on 31 Oct 2008, David_McNickle wrote:

As Ben Franklin said, "Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy."

• 26. At 4:43pm on 31 Oct 2008, David_McNickle wrote:

Who is this interloper who keeps posting messages with a white background?

• 27. At 4:52pm on 31 Oct 2008, Sandylado wrote:

I have watched Jonathan Ross over many years and am amazed that he has lasted as long as he has.
    We need to get rid of presenters like him, he and his kind are hurting OUR BBC.
    Having listened to the D.G Mark Tompson on the T.V and radio.
    I feel I have no confidence in him.
    I Mr Tompson can support employing people like Ross he should consider his position.

Ken Burrett

• 28. At 7:36pm on 31 Oct 2008, Chris Ghoti wrote:

Sandylado @ 27, there are about ten threads on this blog that are more-or-less devoted to comments on Ross and Brand; your post would be better in one of those, where it would get counted. Try one of the ones in "SPECIAL: Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross (9)" under 'categories'.

• 29. At 7:35pm on 01 Nov 2008, justfloating wrote:

(24) FiFi - No. All our walks are just us, wandering free. Wrong moors.

However, we met the same lady three times! She was alone and was using different paths! Very strange. Got kind of embarrassing.

Only did 8 miles but climbed 300m. Wonderful day with the colours of autumn. Got the bus back: 400 pennies!